Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OB1504
Topic Author

Fuel truck overturns at DFW

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Barely two weeks since an Allied Aviation fuel truck crashed into two airplanes at DFW. Now a tanker has flipped over.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/fuel- ... d/2271747/

deebee278

Re: Fuel truck overturns at DFW

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Do they really mean a "tanker"? Surely, all fueling in the 'D' terminal is underground.

smokeybandit

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:40 pm

From watching the video, if there was a fuel spill, wouldn't more be done to clean it up?

ZincSaucier

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 pm

deebee278 wrote:
Do they really mean a "tanker"? Surely, all fueling in the 'D' terminal is underground.

Certainly looks like a tanker truck in the video...

Revelation

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:55 pm

deebee278 wrote:

Not sure what is worse, a truck full of fuel overturning or a truck full of sewage...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

fedex1

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Gesh, look at the concrete, looks like fuel spilled to me.... out in the open. Whew, lucky I am not the driver....

aklrno

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:00 am

ZincSaucier wrote:
deebee278 wrote:

I suspect sewage would be far worse. It doesn't burn, but Jet A is not easy to light either. If the spill was gasoline, I think no one would be walking on it. If it were sewage, everyone would be in a hazmat suit and the material used to sop it up would also be hazardous waste, and you couldn't just hose it off into a storm drain. In the end the fuel that can't be vacuumed or sopped
up will just evaporate.

I was once on the board of a public utilities agency and the spill we dreaded the most was sewage. The fines from the local water quality agency were something like $10 per gallon. That can really add up quickly.

Wingtips56

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:14 am

deebee278 wrote:

Perhaps a tanker to fuel the ground equipment?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

XRadar98

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:27 am

aklrno wrote:
ZincSaucier wrote:
deebee278 wrote:

I suspect sewage would be far worse. It doesn't burn, but Jet A is not easy to light either. If the spill was gasoline, I think no one would be walking on it. If it were sewage, everyone would be in a hazmat suit and the material used to sop it up would also be hazardous waste, and you couldn't just hose it off into a storm drain. In the end the fuel that can't be vacuumed or sopped
up will just evaporate.

I was once on the board of a public utilities agency and the spill we dreaded the most was sewage. The fines from the local water quality agency were something like $10 per gallon. That can really add up quickly.

Too bad you forgot to laugh at the intent of the post before getting so serious

aklrno

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 am

XRadar98 wrote:
aklrno wrote:
ZincSaucier wrote:

up will just evaporate.

Too bad you forgot to laugh at the intent of the post before getting so serious

Sorry, it was kind of beat into me by our staff that however much we wanted to save money or avoid inconvenience to the residents we never wanted to risk a sewage spill. The staff was not eager to clean it up either.

alasizon

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:43 am

deebee278 wrote:

Plenty of gates are not underground fueling in DFW and the trucks still drive around the airport.

That being said, looking at the video, the spill appears to be poorly contained and poorly cleaned up.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Revelation

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:55 am

aklrno wrote:
up will just evaporate.

Thanks for the informative answer!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos