Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Emirates planning for a new A380 lounge

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:03 am

Emirates President Sir Tim Clark, has been stating that the airline is planning for a new A380 bar and lounge for 2020/21
The third generation bar will feature AC and USB power points added around the tables, in addition to enlarging the seating areas.

Quote:
“I won't reveal exactly what is going to happen, because you know, it’s still a work in progress: but it'll be a step change in what we're doing. It'll be very, very, very attractive, I can assure you.”

Sir Tim talking about the A380-900, he said if Airbus committed to it, he would be able to to put 86 business class seats.

Link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... s-a380-bar

747-600X

Re: Emirates planning for a new A380 lounge

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:17 am

I mean, when you've got that much airplane and nothing to do with all that space, why not just throw in a swimming pool and be done with it? Petting zoo? Uh, how about the Air France art gallery concept? Airplanes move people from A to B. No one says, "I'm going to go to the bar; I'll just by a ticket on Emirates, now, to make that happen." Niceties are nice, but they're not going to save the whale. I'm sure the bar will be very pleasant and have swinging chandeliers and a grand piano and so on. Color me not impressed.

N14AZ

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:18 am

I guess Airbus is delighted that they have to consider yet another design for the few remaining EK-orders. :-/

smi0006

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:23 am

Brilliant - I flew DUB-DXB-AKL with DXB-AKL in business. Loved the entire trip, bar was fantastic to have a cocktail, relax and meet other travellers. Felt like old school travel on a a train in Europe. I loved it, and EK now has all my future long haul J travel. Only area they needed to improve was their lounge offering in DXB. Was not relaxing at all.

QF have a great new lounge space on their refurbed 380s, can’t wait to see what EK dream up.

380s work, when used correctly. QF, BA and EK seem to have them down pat along with perhaps LH. The basket cases of MH/TG/CX were never going to make them work.

Busyboy2

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:37 am

747-600X wrote:
I mean, when you've got that much airplane and nothing to do with all that space, why not just throw in a swimming pool and be done with it? Petting zoo? Uh, how about the Air France art gallery concept? Airplanes move people from A to B. No one says, "I'm going to go to the bar; I'll just by a ticket on Emirates, now, to make that happen." Niceties are nice, but they're not going to save the whale. I'm sure the bar will be very pleasant and have swinging chandeliers and a grand piano and so on. Color me not impressed.

I'll be gallivanting around the world and enjoying it. I'm guessing you wont be.

N14AZ

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:42 am

smi0006 wrote:
I loved it, and EK now has all my future long haul J travel.

How much did they pay you for posting this! ... just kidding. ;-)
smi0006 wrote:
Only area they needed to improve was their lounge offering in DXB. Was not relaxing at all.

True, to use a similar comparison, felt like an old overcrowded train station in Europe.

smi0006 wrote:
380s work, when used correctly. QF, BA and EK seem to have them down pat along with perhaps LH. The basket cases of MH/TG/CX were never going to make them work.

CZ.

And I will never understand why people mention TG together with MH and CZ as bad examples. I use their A380‘s three times a year. J is always full and the main deck full of tourists. I guess that’s how it should be. TG‘s CEO is on record for saying that they are happy with their A380‘s. But I guess many a.net members do not believe him, given TG‘s overall financial results.

enilria

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 am

smi0006 wrote:
Brilliant - I flew DUB-DXB-AKL with DXB-AKL in business. Loved the entire trip, bar was fantastic to have a cocktail, relax and meet other travellers. Felt like old school travel on a a train in Europe. I loved it, and EK now has all my future long haul J travel. Only area they needed to improve was their lounge offering in DXB. Was not relaxing at all.

QF have a great new lounge space on their refurbed 380s, can’t wait to see what EK dream up.

I agree. I am loyal in another program, but if there is a J class opportunity for an EK A380 I take it.

smi0006

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:21 am

N14AZ wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

smi0006 wrote:
Only area they needed to improve was their lounge offering in DXB. Was not relaxing at all.

True, to use a similar comparison, felt like an old overcrowded train station in Europe.

smi0006 wrote:

CZ.

And I will never understand why people mention TG together with MH and CZ as bad examples. I use their A380‘s three times a year. J is always full and the main deck full of tourists. I guess that’s how it should be. TG‘s CEO is on record for saying that they are happy with their A380‘s. But I guess many a.net members do not believe him, given TG‘s overall financial results.

Interesting - I thought TG was trashing their yields and high overheads with such a large fleet. And typo of course -CZ.

Has anyone used the KE, or EY lounge? What’s the feedback? Apart from EK, QF and the above two no one else has a lounge/cafe

acentauri

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:49 am

TWA 747 Copy Cat :hissyfit:

Noshow

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:55 am

If been in the KE lounge onboard the A380. That was very nice and elegant. They looked after the passengers so nobody got close to being drunk or similar. So it was not a pub but a real cocktail bar. Quite luxurious and great to walk around the airplane in flight.
However if been in their 747-8 C mini suites too and those were very enjoayble as well even without a lounge.

FlyHPN

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:06 am

747-600X wrote:

Announced in 2017: https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlin ... l-airplane

JannEejit

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:16 am

747-600X wrote:

And yet those were some of the early concepts bandied around when the A380 was first mooted. Emirates may as well exploit some of that space to full comfort advantage. I'm sure there's plenty of well heeled travellers willing to pay the price to make it viable.

openskies88

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:32 am

That was quick - the second generation EK A380 lounge only debuted a couple of years ago!

Noshow

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:46 am

They will need to avoid people standing for too long. So it will be more tables and belted seats.

vhtje

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:50 am

Please, please, please, please get rid of the utterly tasteless lashings of faux wood and gold trim. Some calming, muted tones in organic materials, please, with splashes of contrasting colour, would be lovely.

I shan't hold my breath though. This is EK, after all.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

AEROFAN

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:57 am

N14AZ wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

smi0006 wrote:

Another reason why I refuse to fly EK. It's Dubai lounge and quite a bit of the airport remind me of a crowded fish market in a lesser developed country
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

ItnStln

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Do the bars serve alcohol? If not it seems like it would be a waste.

xwb777
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:20 pm

ItnStln wrote:

Ofcourse they do!

325i

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Greetings Folks, the negative comments re DXB 's lounge (I assume the reference is the business class one) surprises me .
Over the last ten years I have been through DXB more than 18 times and have never experienced any "train station syndrome".
It will never compare to Doha's but it is still pleasant enough for a two hour break.
Cheers, 325i.

morrisond

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:40 pm

EK is going to use one of their spare 380 Frames as a Bar and Lounge? Good idea - what airport will it be based at....

VSMUT

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:59 pm

747-600X wrote:

Just about to board my 30th long haul J trip this year, and I have a similar feeling about this. Granted, I have yet to try a plane with a bar yet, but reality is that I am perfectly happy in my lie-flat/reclining seat. Half the time I don't even realise there is a self-serve bar available!
Will I use the bar when I get the chance? Most likely yes, but only the first time. It is a gimmick, nothing more. I would prefer a slighty bigger or better seat, better mattress or something.

ItnStln

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:30 pm

xwb777 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

Ofcourse they do!

Thanks. I was told they didn't due to muslim rules against drinking which is why I asked.

xwb777
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:07 pm

ItnStln wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

Ofcourse they do!

Thanks. I was told they didn't due to muslim rules against drinking which is why I asked.

They serve alcohol on all routes except the ones to Saudi Arabia (Riyadh, Jeddah & Madina).

On the A380 flights to Saudi Arabia, the onboard bar is emptied from all drinks and spirits.

ItnStln

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:22 pm

xwb777 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
Ofcourse they do!

They serve alcohol on all routes except the ones to Saudi Arabia (Riyadh, Jeddah & Madina).

On the A380 flights to Saudi Arabia, the onboard bar is emptied from all drinks and spirits.

Thanks!

kq747

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:03 pm

vhtje wrote:
Please, please, please, please get rid of the utterly tasteless lashings of faux wood and gold trim. Some calming, muted tones in organic materials, please, with splashes of contrasting colour, would be lovely.

I shan't hold my breath though. This is EK, after all.

You clearly have not seen the 2nd gen bar concept. Definitely moved away from the gold and louder faux wood. It is now more chrome and dark faux wood which is much nicer and more muted.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos