cactus18
Topic Author

WS announces YYC-BOS

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:13 pm

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/westjet-adds-boston-to-calgary-hub-823063284.html

Daily seasonal service starting May 14th, 2020. A direct retaliation to AC who announced the same route two days ago.

Acey

Re: WS announces YYC-BOS

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:45 pm

This was guaranteed to be coming anyway, the only thing perhaps retaliatory is waiting till just after AC announced to confirm it. Timing is perfect on the YYC side both ways for this WS run, they'll clean AC's clock on this route.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

YYZORD

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 pm

I can see this becoming daily year round once the DL/WS JV is put in place. A lot of YYC-Europe connections!

Dominion301

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:07 pm

Acey wrote:
This was guaranteed to be coming anyway, the only thing perhaps retaliatory is waiting till just after AC announced to confirm it. Timing is perfect on the YYC side both ways for this WS run, they'll clean AC's clock on this route.

The two flights at opposite ends of the day is interesting. WS' flight timed for BOS-Euro connections, while the AC flight is timed to maximze connections at YYC.

VS4ever

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:10 pm

Always wondered what WS were going to do after they cut YUL and YHZ, this is part of it, they still have space in BOS and with their new Eastern Canada strategy, I wonder if YUL return and YOW are potentially on the cards down the road.
Nice to see this though.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

9252fly

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:13 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Acey wrote:

The two flights at opposite ends of the day is interesting.

Good observation, both schedules have pros and cons depending on a consumers needs where they may fly one way with one airline and back with the other. Loyalty is a little over-rated.

ACCS300

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I suppose WS is in more of a bind than AC capacity wise, for expansion, if the MAX is still grounded by summer 2020. At least AC has the A220's coming online, I guess WS can extend the life of some of the 736s.

jsteeves3

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:27 pm

I just can't believe the amount of flights BOS has gained over the last few years... seems like a new route(s) is announced every week!

jimbo737

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 pm

WS hub to DL hub flying. Kind of a no brainer, and a route that's been in the hopper for more than a few days.

Granted, it's not ATL, but YYC-ATL ran with a 95%+ l/f over it's first three months of operation, (according to the latest publicly available DoT data).

Connecting hubs is a massive advantage as it allows for all kinds of connectivity at each end of the pipeline. There are at least a dozen nice connections, both domestic and international, available over BOS.

AC can only offer Newark on UAL, which, they operate n/s leaving YYC 30 mins later than their new BOS flight.

This adds to WS's morning trans-border bank and late evening tail burner bank, allowing connections to / from all of BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.

I wouldn't be surprised if AC quietly eliminates their flight prior to launch.

hollywoodcory

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:57 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if AC quietly eliminates their flight prior to launch.

I'm sure AC fully expected WS to follow them on the route prior to making the announcement. I don't see AC backing out that easily.

MIflyer12

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:00 am

jimbo737 wrote:
Connecting hubs is a massive advantage as it allows for all kinds of connectivity at each end of the pipeline. There are at least a dozen nice connections, both domestic and international, available over BOS.

There aren't too many distance-efficient connections to DL at BOS other than TATL. Check the route map; play around with Great Circle Mapper. DTW and MSP are better positioned and offer 2x the flight total and many more logical destinations. BOS-YYC at least looks like it can catch the ~11PM bank to BC/AB destinations.

YYZORD

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:26 am

After the JV is accepted by US DOT, I think YYC-DTW is very much possible by WS. I was just at DTW a week ago and the destinations DL flies to from DTW seemed to me that there would be enough connecting pax for a YYC-DTW WS flight to be supported. The argument with MSP is that DL serves the YYC-MSP route alone and for DTW, WS can earn more profits with connecting more pax.

iyerhari

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:40 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:

There aren't too many distance-efficient connections to DL at BOS other than TATL. Check the route map; play around with Great Circle Mapper. DTW and MSP are better positioned and offer 2x the flight total and many more logical destinations. BOS-YYC at least looks like it can catch the ~11PM bank to BC/AB destinations.

DL understands that - they are just re-building slow and steady. BOS has and does not look to be a single hub monopoly unless one of the US3 eats up B6 which does not look likely. DL is catering to the TATL market that is working out well 4 them.

YYC is WS add - we had discussed multiple times in the BOS thread that it was a slam dunk but did not happen. AC announces and WS follows suit. After all this adds BOS serves a good Canada destinations:

YYZ, YUL, YOW, YHZ
Seasonal: YVR, YYC

Thenoflyzone

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Only a 45 min turn in BOS. That's around the minimum turnaround time for a B737.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

HVNandrew

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:51 pm

iyerhari wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:

DL understands that - they are just re-building slow and steady. BOS has and does not look to be a single hub monopoly unless one of the US3 eats up B6 which does not look likely. DL is catering to the TATL market that is working out well 4 them.

YYC is WS add - we had discussed multiple times in the BOS thread that it was a slam dunk but did not happen. AC announces and WS follows suit. After all this adds BOS serves a good Canada destinations:

YYZ, YUL, YOW, YHZ
Seasonal: YVR, YYC

I would not be surprised to see DL jump into BOS-YUL. AC has a monopoly on the route now and DL historically had served the route for years (along with other BOS to eastern Canada routes); it seems like there could be an opportunity there. I also think it would make much more sense for DL to fly the route than WS with the DL hub on the BOS end (and WS not being particularly strong in YUL).

FSDan

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Only a 45 min turn in BOS. That's around the minimum turnaround time for a B737.

As far as I can tell, 45 minutes is fairly standard for a 737/320-sized aircraft globally. I'm pretty sure WN regularly does 45 minute turns, even with their fairly dense 738s.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Chemist

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:31 pm

FSDan wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

As far as I can tell, 45 minutes is fairly standard for a 737/320-sized aircraft globally. I'm pretty sure WN regularly does 45 minute turns, even with their fairly dense 738s.

I've seen a 23 minute turn on WN for a 737-700. Not sure how full the arriving flight was, but the departing flight had only a few empty seats.
Yes I know the -800 would take longer, this is just an example of a quick turn time for a 737. I was on the departing flight listed and timed the gate arrival to pushback.

EMB170

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:52 pm

HVNandrew wrote:

I would not be surprised to see DL jump into BOS-YUL. AC has a monopoly on the route now and DL historically had served the route for years (along with other BOS to eastern Canada routes); it seems like there could be an opportunity there. I also think it would make much more sense for DL to fly the route than WS with the DL hub on the BOS end (and WS not being particularly strong in YUL).[/quote]

Indeed, one might think that YUL-BOS would make sense as a DCI route (and was for many years, dating back to the BEX days of DCI. If it comes to fruition, I'd bet that either 9E or OO is placed on the route with a CR7.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

RobertS975

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:02 am

EMB170 wrote:
HVNandrew wrote:

I would not be surprised to see DL jump into BOS-YUL. AC has a monopoly on the route now and DL historically had served the route for years (along with other BOS to eastern Canada routes); it seems like there could be an opportunity there. I also think it would make much more sense for DL to fly the route than WS with the DL hub on the BOS end (and WS not being particularly strong in YUL).

Indeed, one might think that YUL-BOS would make sense as a DCI route (and was for many years, dating back to the BEX days of DCI. If it comes to fruition, I'd bet that either 9E or OO is placed on the route with a CR7.[/quote]

I believe that at one time, both DL and EA served BOS-YUL with L-1011s as continuations from Florida.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos