mapletux
Topic Author

Nigerian authorities threaten to ban Turkish Airlines

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:50 am

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has set a deadline of 16 December to Turkish Airlines to operate with the right size of aircraft that could transport all passengers with their baggage at the same time. This is apparently in response to continuous complaints from passengers as well as disruption caused at airports when passengers find that their luggage has not travelled with them.

https://punchng.com/fg-suspends-turkish ... o-nigeria/

x1234

Re: Nigerian authorities threaten to ban Turkish Airlines

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:06 am

That's interesting considering they fly a A332 right now into LOS from IST. Its containerised (LD3) so it should be able to fit all the luggage. Their baggage limit is 2x23kg (piece concept). Global carriers are now moving towards 1x23kg free. Maybe TK should change their policy.

scbriml

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:11 am

x1234 wrote:
That's interesting considering they fly a A332 right now into LOS from IST. Its containerised (LD3) so it should be able to fit all the luggage. Their baggage limit is 2x23kg (piece concept). Global carriers are now moving towards 1x23kg free. Maybe TK should change their policy.

I've been told that Nigerians are notorious for the huge amount of baggage they travel with.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ChrisKen

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:19 am

scbriml wrote:
x1234 wrote:

I've been told that Nigerians are notorious for the huge amount of baggage they travel with.

This!

The average Nigerian travels with tremendous amounts of luggage far in excess of any allowance. Just take a look at your local Lagos bound flight, utter chaos. It's not surprising some is left behind.

aemoreira1981

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:23 am

They might want to investigate whether or not the luggage gets stolen. The flight used to be an A333, BTW, often one leased from and owned by Afriqiyah.

TheWorm123

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:27 am

Is the Nigerian CAA willing to pay TK to provide a bigger aircraft for no reason other than their citizens carry way too much crap with them?
752 753 A332

mapletux
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:30 am

Turkish Airlines also flies to ABV and PHC so the incidents reported may not necessarily have happened at LOS.

TWA772LR

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:30 am

scbriml wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Dude you don't even know...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

MIflyer12

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:37 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
Is the Nigerian CAA willing to pay TK to provide a bigger aircraft for no reason other than their citizens carry way too much crap with them?

Presumably TK takes in plenty of excess baggage fees. A threat of a ban to force a carrier to provide expected services sounds novel.

Puissance

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:38 am

I know this was an issue on IST-ABJ last Christmas season. My friend had the misfortune of flying with them on this West African route. They were flying a 737-800 on the route, and only business passengers were getting their bags put on the flight. This went on for at least 10 days according to employees at ABJ. Finally, they flew an A330 with about 10-12 days of coach baggage. My friend's bags had serious water damage to contents as well as damage to one bag itself, like they had been piled outside during this time. Then Turkish was very difficult, and would only pay about 200 euros in compensation. It made her afraid that the same thing would happen this year, and she bought her ticket on another carrier. That this has happened for more than one season now also makes it look that West African flights are treated less well than others by Turkish.

Spirit and TAP place baggage embargoes on flights like this. Hopefully Turkish can come up with a better solution.

spdbrd007

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:52 am

Good to know we are blaming Nigerians for TK not bringing their baggage on-board.

Quoted from the article:
> Sidi said the incidents had become so bad that most recent Turkish Airlines flights arrived in Nigeria without more than 85 per cent of passengers’ baggage on board.

15% of passengers on average are not arriving with their luggage. Do some bring more? Sure, and that would be on the TK ground staff to make sure they bring only what the passengers are allotted for. If the ground staff are doing as they should, and passengers are within their baggage rights then yes, Turkish needs to fly larger aircraft to the Nigerian market.

usflyer msp

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:57 am

Pax heading to Nigeria, especially around Christmas, are always interesting. They usually roll up with insane amounts of excess baggage but, to their credit, they are rarely concerned about the cost for the excess baggage - they are usually outraged that there is a limit to how much excess baggage they can check.

scbriml

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:04 am

spdbrd007 wrote:
Good to know we are blaming Nigerians for TK not bringing their baggage on-board.

If the majority of pax turn up with lots of excess baggage and it can't all be carried, how is that the airline's fault? :confused:
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ricq

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:10 am

scbriml wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

If the majority of pax turn up with lots of excess baggage and it can't all be carried, how is that the airline's fault? :confused:

Maybe they are filling the plane with too much cargo and should leave more room for bags instead? I don't know how that works.

spdbrd007

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:15 am

scbriml wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

Airlines, including Turkish, are obligated to carry passengers luggage if it is within operating limits of the particular aircraft being used at that time. If there is a influx of passengers of cargo on a certain sector guess what? You upgrade the equipment to handle the load.

Quoted from the article again
> “Our airport authority has been facing a serious crisis controlling the passengers at the airport whenever they arrive without their baggage. This issue has made passengers to carry out several mob actions at our airports and it is a great threat to our airport facilities.

> “In view of all these, and a series of meetings held with the Turkish Airlines personnel, which did not yield any solution to this problem, the NCAA is therefore left with no option than to direct Turkish Airlines to suspend its operations into Nigeria until such a time when the airline is ready to operate with the right size of aircraft that can transport all passengers with their baggage at the same time.

Seasonal or just more passengers traveling that route, remind me again how this is the passengers fault?

scbriml

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:43 am

spdbrd007 wrote:
Airlines, including Turkish, are obligated to carry passengers luggage if it is within operating limits of the particular aircraft being used at that time.

I'll ask the question again, if lots of passengers turn up at the airport with lots of excess baggage and it can't all be carried, how is that TK's fault?

blrsea

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:47 am

Not carrying 85% passengers' bags is too much. If Turkish charges for the baggage, they are obligated to carry them, If the number of bags are above the limit, they should inform the passengers upfront that the bags will arrive late. Also, I am pretty sure lots of other airlines also fly to Nigeria. Why is it an issue with only Turkish?

spdbrd007

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:06 am

scbriml wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:
Airlines, including Turkish, are obligated to carry passengers luggage if it is within operating limits of the particular aircraft being used at that time.

I'll ask the question again, if lots of passengers turn up at the airport with lots of excess baggage and it can't all be carried, how is that TK's fault?

You keep asking the same question as if this has happened just one one occasion. If repeatably TK has failed to deliver passengers luggage, and they show no signs of change to accommodate paying customers, then the airline will be forced by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority to stop flying to Nigeria.

Sort of works like this. You arrive at the airport and check in luggage.

One of two things can happen.

1. You check in, and when you do a Turkish employee explains to you that as of recently, we have been experiencing 15% of passengers luggage arrive late at their destination. With that information passed, if you still want to fly with us, you now know that fact.

2. You check in, you hand your luggage to TK personnel and you continue on to the gate. At no point has it been explained to you that currently loads are high and luggage is being purposely left behind because of aircraft equipment.

I have a gut feeling that has never led me astray, that is saying TK is accepting bookings without letting customers know that they are currently running over capacity on their Nigeria network.

At the point TK takes your money & checks in your luggage, you have left all responsibility to the airline to get you, & your luggage safe and on time to the destination.

alfa164

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 am

spdbrd007 wrote:
Sort of works like this. You arrive at the airport and check in luggage. One of two things can happen.
1. You check in, and when you do a Turkish employee explains to you that as of recently, we have been experiencing 15% of passengers luggage arrive late at their destination. With that information passed, if you still want to fly with us, you now know that fact.
2. You check in, you hand your luggage to TK personnel and you continue on to the gate. At no point has it been explained to you that currently loads are high and luggage is being purposely left behind because of aircraft equipment.
I have a gut feeling that has never led me astray, that is saying TK is accepting bookings without letting customers know that they are currently running over capacity on their Nigeria network. At the point TK takes your money & checks in your luggage, you have left all responsibility to the airline to get you, & your luggage safe and on time to the destination.

Maybe that sounds good in theory - but not in practice. If someone is checking in, they obviously already have a ticket; it is a little late for them to decide "I won't go without my extra ten bags!" - and hope to find some other way to get to LOS within their desired time frame. And it is hard to blame Turkish for selling the tickets; they have no way of knowing in advance who will be wanting to bring ten bags and who won't.

TK's best solution is probably to place a limit - two bags, perhaps - on the flights to LOS. Then let the Nigerian government whine about that.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

spdbrd007

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:01 am

alfa164 wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:
Sort of works like this. You arrive at the airport and check in luggage. One of two things can happen.
I have a gut feeling that has never led me astray, that is saying TK is accepting bookings without letting customers know that they are currently running over capacity on their Nigeria network. At the point TK takes your money & checks in your luggage, you have left all responsibility to the airline to get you, & your luggage safe and on time to the destination.

Maybe that sounds good in theory - but not in practice. If someone is checking in, they obviously already have a ticket; it is a little late for them to decide "I won't go without my extra ten bags!" - and hope to find some other way to get to LOS within their desired time frame. And it is hard to blame Turkish for selling the tickets; they have no way of knowing in advance who will be wanting to bring ten bags and who won't.

TK's best solution is probably to place a limit - two bags, perhaps - on the flights to LOS. Then let the Nigerian government whine about that.

I messed up a bit. The notice shouldn't be at check in, but rather as you are in the process of purchasing your ticket.

In this particular example of the Nigeria route (no particular city has been named, but I would assume its Lagos), if the Nigerian government has moved towards banning you from flying to & from the country, I am sure this would not be the first time TK has heard of such complaints.

I agree with your last point. Have them introduce a 2 bag "guarantee" limit. Anything more is subject to ground handling, aircraft limit delay if they in-fact choose not to send larger aircraft.

There has always been the issue with Asian, European, or Middle Eastern airlines that serve sub-saharan Africa. They send old aircraft to these markets expecting that customers won't care. Its one of the reasons ET is doing so great in the region. With KQ, ET, & SA's airlines serving their respective markets it's really surprising that Nigeria, a country of 190 million, still has not found out a way to introduce and run a functional airline.

usflyer msp

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:01 am

alfa164 wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

...or in alot of cases, thanks to Star Alliance, they are not even checking in with TK....

stl07

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:26 am

alfa164 wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:
Then let the Nigerian government whine about that.

If your airport had riots due to a faulty baggage policy on TK, they are justified in whining
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

usflyer msp

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:38 am

spdbrd007 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

I messed up a bit. The notice shouldn't be at check in, but rather as you are in the process of purchasing your ticket.

In this particular example of the Nigeria route (no particular city has been named, but I would assume its Lagos), if the Nigerian government has moved towards banning you from flying to & from the country, I am sure this would not be the first time TK has heard of such complaints.

I agree with your last point. Have them introduce a 2 bag "guarantee" limit. Anything more is subject to ground handling, aircraft limit delay if they in-fact choose not to send larger aircraft.

There has always been the issue with Asian, European, or Middle Eastern airlines that serve sub-saharan Africa. They send old aircraft to these markets expecting that customers won't care. Its one of the reasons ET is doing so great in the region. With KQ, ET, & SA's airlines serving their respective markets it's really surprising that Nigeria, a country of 190 million, still has not found out a way to introduce and run a functional airline.

I just find it astounding that LOS and other major Nigerian airports don't have appropriate perimeter fences to keep people off the airfield but Nigerian officials find the time to whine about the aircraft types TK and DL send to Nigeria. It does make one question their priorities.

CrimsonNL

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:47 am

scbriml wrote:

alfa164 wrote:

Well this is clearly a known and recurring issue on these Nigeria flights. TK along with every other major airline, keeps statistical data on all flights regarding checked bags, number of noshows etc etc. So they will definitely be able to see this coming. They might get caught by surprise if by a rare and odd chance all pax on an IST-OTP will show up with 10 bags, but certainly not on scheduled Nigeria flights.

If they want to prevent this issue they should indeed impose a limit on the number of checked bags to selected destinations, or refuse to accept the bags at the check in!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

spdbrd007

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:05 am

usflyer msp wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

I just find it astounding that LOS and other major Nigerian airports don't have appropriate perimeter fences to keep people off the airfield but Nigerian officials find the time to whine about the aircraft types TK and DL send to Nigeria. It does make one question their priorities.

Oh you know, when passengers start rioting inside the airport because their bags don't make it on a frequent basis, it makes you take some people away from the "no proper airport fence" riot crowd to help out with the growing "wheres my baggage" crowd".

But I digress.

stl07

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:26 am

So how come this doesn't happen on other airlines as frequently, all of you who refuse to blame TK?
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:27 am

usflyer msp wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

There isn't enough money, especially after corruption. But talk is cheap, so they do it all day. :D

directorguy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:36 am

Something similar happened at CAI at least two summers in a row with the LH group. There was a huge backlog and many passengers arriving from ZRH/MUC/FRA/VIE would find that their baggage didn't show up. It took weeks for the backlogs to clear.
It's shameful when an airline sells you a ticket (or worse an excess baggage fee) knowing that your stuff may not make it.

KFTG

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:52 am

Didn't they try this stunt with Delta a while back? I want to say they had to fly a 747 on the route to get all the bags out?

gokmengs

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:13 am

Can’t they put a limit to extra luggage per pax and comfortably fit in a 332? Seems odd. If TK is taking the super profitable excess luggage fee from everyone and enjoying the incremental revenue but not taking the said luggage on the flight, the paying pax has a right to be angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:14 am

I recall a similar thing happening to MH in the closing days of their AMS/CDG route - because they had to take the long way round to Europe after they were called out for flying close to Syria, they had to leave behind passenger luggage to cary enough fuel to get to Europe - in a 77E.

So is TK having to do the same thing as well on their way to LOS?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Blerg

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:20 am

It doesn't really matter what plane TK sends to Nigeria since most passengers are probably connecting in IST. So a Nigerian with his ten bangs probably started his journey from a destination served by a full B738 or A320. So the initial problem might start even before the passenger leaves his original destination. Would be interesting to know where the bags are offloaded, in IST or at the original destination from which the passenger started his journey.

AirCanada787

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:33 am

Does anyone know how TK gets luggage left behind to the destination? If they are putting it on their next flight than it would seem to me that on the next flight there would potentially be less capacity for that flights passengers as well, therefore creating more or a backlog and domino effect that effects more flights and therefore more passengers.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

pythoniels

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:51 am

scbriml wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

By still accepting excess baggage?

I think an additional problem is the huge amount of carry-ins passengers tend to carry these days. Since it never fits on the overhead compartments, big bags are often collected at the gate and checked in for free. This adds up even more baggage and thus making the problem even bigger.

TK allows 2PC or 30KG or 40kg depending on the route, perhaps they should bring this down a bit and put an embargo on excessive bulky bags. This can perhaps be carried out by all airlines TK cooperated with.

Phosphorus

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:39 am

scbriml wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

Lack of proper planning, this is the fault.

If you fly to Siberia in winter time and complain that you are freezing, because of excess cold -- Siberia is not to blame, your lack of preparation is.

I've never been to Nigeria, but I've been to airports with Nigeria-bound flights. Maybe, among the passengers, are those who travel lightly. Maybe. It's difficult to see them, because of mountains of luggage on trolleys of most other passengers. I understand airline's operational folks frustration, but it goes with the territory -- Nigeria-bound flights are notorious for "and kitchen sink" luggage situation. And the airline financial folks must love the revenue from excess luggage fees. So, airline operational team cannot just scream "there's too much luggage, nothing can be done" and hide in a corner during a meltdown, while garnering extra revenue from excess baggage fees, with the other hand, in the meantime, no?

Again, airline's frustration is understood -- this is an unobvious situation, they don't want to change their entire rule-book because of a set of circumstances on a particular route, but they'd have to adapt.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

TheWorm123

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

Presumably TK takes in plenty of excess baggage fees. A threat of a ban to force a carrier to provide expected services sounds novel.

That’s a good point, the fees should pay for the customers who couldn’t get on the plane due to the excess crap* weight.

Nigeria will suffer from whatever consequence their authority will dream up, it’s probably not a good idea to scare away foreign airlines when you have no national flag carrier and the next biggest airline in Independence Air (to the surprise of no-one) turned out to be a international money laundering scam!
752 753 A332

Weatherwatcher1

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:11 pm

It looks like the issue is using narrowbodies to Nigeria. Since a Turkish is using 737s on the route and avoids Libyan airspace, the flight time is well over 6 hours and about 2700-2800nm. The solution is likely upgrading to widebodies. An A321LR likely cant fit the cargo in and the 737NG doesn’t have the range. Turkish needs it’s 737MAX back in the air for this route.

readytotaxi

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:40 pm

scbriml wrote:
x1234 wrote:

:old: Back in the day at LHR the Friday night check-in was bonkers,circa 1980, they would try and take all manner of things as hand luggage from mini fridges to sewing machines. Bribery of check-in staff was common place and that DC10 was always overbooked causing the usual uproar when check-in closed leaving lots of people behind.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

FGITD

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
scbriml wrote:
x1234 wrote:

:old: Back in the day at LHR the Friday night check-in was bonkers,circa 1980, they would try and take all manner of things as hand luggage from mini fridges to sewing machines. Bribery of check-in staff was common place and that DC10 was always overbooked causing the usual uproar when check-in closed leaving lots of people behind.

That's exactly the issue. Yes the allowance might be [email protected], but it's not unusual for an individual to check in 8-10 at the maximum weight. And for a family of 4, 20+ is easily possible. And that right there is just about half a container, for one family. I've loaded toilets, trash barrels, water fountains, safes, etc etc.

And as is customary in certain parts of the world, there's a lot of attempts at Negotiating. Though to their credit, it seems the cultures wherein negotiating is expected are also the ones that carry a massive wad of cash, and once they give up, will gladly peel off how ever many hundreds are needed.

85% left behind seems suspect though. Every airline/station I've worked at goes into a baggage crisis if the missing baggage goes over 5%.

alasizon

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:41 am

I get that due to the distance it isn't practical for a "baggage only" extra section but does TK not think to interline some of their excess rush baggage on another carrier to get the bags there?
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

mapletux
Topic Author

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:47 am

Looks like they've been let off with a warning after promising to "look into the matter".

https://punchng.com/fgs-suspension-thre ... -aircraft/

https://www.channelstv.com/2019/12/13/t ... e-by-ncaa/

Turkish Airlines will not have their operating licence suspended by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) as earlier speculated, but they have been warned to improve on their services.
Last edited by mapletux on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeke

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:50 am

scbriml wrote:

I have seen crews of local airlines there check in multiple flat screen TVs.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

usflyer msp

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:55 am

alasizon wrote:
I get that due to the distance it isn't practical for a "baggage only" extra section but does TK not think to interline some of their excess rush baggage on another carrier to get the bags there?

It is Christmas. The other carriers are packed out and facing similar issues. In the past, bags have been flown to ACC, LFW, or COO and trucked to Nigeria but Nigeria's land borders were indefinitely closed a few months ago and that is making the situation worse this year.

bennett123

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:19 am

Sounds like money talks.

Was losing their license ever likely to happen?.

LJ

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:39 am

scbriml wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

Because any airline operating to Nigeria knows that there will be a lot of luggage.

Puissance wrote:
Spirit and TAP place baggage embargoes on flights like this. Hopefully Turkish can come up with a better solution.

Baggage allowance and how the airline handles excess baggage is an important aspect of deciding which airline people take to Nigeria (but there are other countries as well). If TK starts being less relaxed, it will become less attractive for them.

Toinou

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:08 am

scbriml wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

Maybe, you could put that in another way, that will probably fit with this forum mindset.
TK freely decided to serve the Nigerian market and is doing so for years (so they probably know the average amount of luggage to those places (whatever amount it is) quite well).
Then, they freely decided an excess luggage policy (and some examples (like TP) show that it could vary for different destinations).
Then they freely decided to sell tickets to those flights.

This means they have a contract with their customers.

This contract includes a responsibility to carry the luggages of their customers (and if a sudden an unpredictable increase happen, to keep them in good condition until they can transport them).

So, and this is basic capitalism, which people on this forum usually respect: TK freely decided almost every condition included in the contract they have with the people they transport. So yes, if they cannot respect it, this is absolutely their fault.

bennett123

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:29 am

According to airfleets, they recently parked B737NG TC-JKO.

Could they strip out the seats and use it for cargo.

If people are paying for excess baggage and these items are not personal possessions, then a daily trip could be a money spinner.

If it works then do a full conversion.

OGLOBAL

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:09 pm

zeke wrote:
scbriml wrote:

but why ? I've never been to nigeria .. is it really that expensive to purchase items there ? i mean you end paying more with all the extra charges .. and wouldn't they tax it arriving to nigeria .. it always surprises me last year i went to manila from dubai and a lot of the passengers were checking a lot of luggage electronics etc etc i mean yeah it might be a little bit cheaper in dubai but is it worth all the hassle ...

Polot

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:21 pm

OGLOBAL wrote:
zeke wrote:
scbriml wrote:

but why ? I've never been to nigeria .. is it really that expensive to purchase items there ? i mean you end paying more with all the extra charges .. and wouldn't they tax it arriving to nigeria .. it always surprises me last year i went to manila from dubai and a lot of the passengers were checking a lot of luggage electronics etc etc i mean yeah it might be a little bit cheaper in dubai but is it worth all the hassle ...

You are assuming the electronics are easy to find there. Often times they are not, and the electronics that are available are marked up to such prices (or not the latest/greatest) that yes, it is often better to fly to an international market and do a huge shopping spree than buy locally even with factoring in the cost of tickets, hotels, excess bag fees etc. This is true of many poorer markets, not just Nigeria.

Superboi

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:26 pm

scbriml wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:

Excess Luggage is not the issue here, Passengers are not even getting their alloted 23kg?? on arrival. I live in Abuja and have many friends and relations that on arrival do not get any of their items. For what it is what, a day after the threat THY all of a sudden gets a A330 to fly to Abuja....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos