Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

catiii

Re: Long Beach (LGB) increasing number of air carrier slots

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:19 pm

I had posted the press release but it was deleted. But yes, LGB closure, pilot and inflight bases moving to LAX, LAX growing to at least 70 daily flights.

MDGLongBeach

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:26 pm

I honestly did not expect this to happen in this immediate-like timeframe.. I thought it would be more of a slower phasing out.

JetBlue is effectively leaving Long Beach very shortly.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... wsid=69600

jeffh747

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:27 pm

It's ultimately good to see that the crew base will be moved to LAX, instead of cut entirely as some members speculated. As a consumer though, it sucks to see B6 leave LGB. Always loved flying with them through there. It's so much easier to use compared to other airports in SoCal. I wouldn't be surprised to see WN/DL/AA jack up their prices now from LGB with B6's departure. I hope an ULCC decides to try LGB, like NK, given their recent West Coast expansions.

BA744PHX

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:29 pm

So... how many flights slots are now available?

catiii

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:31 pm

Good for B6. the LGB city council reaped what they sowed here.

lightsaber

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:32 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
It's ultimately good to see that the crew base will be moved to LAX, instead of cut entirely as some members speculated. As a consumer though, it sucks to see B6 leave LGB. Always loved flying with them through there. It's so much easier to use compared to other airports in SoCal. I wouldn't be surprised to see WN/DL/AA jack up their prices now from LGB with B6's departure. I hope an ULCC decides to try LGB, like NK, given their recent West Coast expansions.

It is good for JetBlue, bad for myself. Sigh, LGB is so easy!

But I'm glad the base is moved down the 405 fwy instead of closed.

Lightsaber

MDGLongBeach

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:36 pm

BA744PHX wrote:

17 slots will become available and its fair to assume WN will be in the pool to grab all of them.

catiii

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:39 pm

lightsaber wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:

Lightsaber

UP the 405! :D

usflyer msp

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:42 pm

catiii wrote:
Good for B6. the LGB city council reaped what they sowed here.

I felt the shade in this paragraph. :lol:

"Elsewhere in greater Los Angeles, JetBlue will continue to serve Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) and Ontario International Airport (ONT), which are key to the airline’s broader LA strategy. JetBlue is appreciative of the support received from airport leadership and elected officials in both Burbank and Ontario."

nine4nine

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Thank goodness. Kick rocks Long Beach!!! This should have happened a few years ago but glad it did. Now walk out of there both middle fingers in the air and don’t look back!

HA will now have to contract out the station if they stick around

jplatts

MDGLongBeach wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

17 slots will become available and its fair to assume WN will be in the pool to grab all of them.

UA adding nonstop service to LGB from its SFO, DEN, IAH, and/or ORD hubs might also be a possibility with UA already serving some other secondary airports on the West Coast such as BUR, PAE, ONT, SNA, SJC, and STS.

slcdeltarumd11

So sad. Honestly a few city council members who knew nothing about aviation and greatly overrated the value of their assets caused this. They just made life for b6 so much harder than it needed to be and didn't value what they tried to build there. B6 tried , you can't say they didn't and they were a sponsor of every community event for years. Bad loss for the city I love southwest but they won't try to be a community member like b6 tried to be. I hope long beach works out for for southwest it really could be an almost all them airport soon.

Delta only ever seemed that into long beach because of JetBlue, at best they keep a small presense to SLC but LAS seems gone and the rumored ATL seems very unlikely

MavyWavyATR

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:54 pm

MDGLongBeach wrote:
I honestly did not expect this to happen in this immediate-like timeframe.. I thought it would be more of a slower phasing out.

I honestly don't blame B6 for leaving. Both LGB (airport) and the city of Long Beach as well as the NIMBY community did it to themselves.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Ultimately I think this was good for JetBlue to have a consolidated operation. Good for southwest to have a larger operation. Sad for me I flew so often in and out of lgb on JetBlue , loved it Everytime. Hope most workers offered jobs in lax and a shuttle bus so they can commute the same.

asteriskceo

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:58 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
MDGLongBeach wrote:

I honestly don't blame B6 for leaving. Both LGB (airport) and the city of Long Beach as well as the NIMBY community did it to themselves.

Pretty sure the NIMBYs aren’t unhappy about this news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MDGLongBeach

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Im curious how B6's departure will affect the game plans of the other airlines here.

- HA needs to contract for airport services now, but they were doing well on the HNL route so I think its fair to assume they'll probably continue.
- DL is the most interesting case as they wont be competed on LGB-SEA and now that theres no effective transcon service, ATL may be more feasible.
- WN can't keep adding west coast flights as they are obviously proven to not be money-makers, but they've been pushing hard for slots so what new destinations do you expect them to add? You guys think AUS will stick around long, now that they don't have to chase out B6?
- What does this mean for new airlines wanting to come in for some market share? I know LGB is not by any means a gold mine but maybe ULCC could come in and entice with low fares?

KLMatSJC

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:09 pm

MDGLongBeach wrote:
Im curious how B6's departure will affect the game plans of the other airlines here.

- HA needs to contract for airport services now, but they were doing well on the HNL route so I think its fair to assume they'll probably continue.
- DL is the most interesting case as they wont be competed on LGB-SEA and now that theres no effective transcon service, ATL may be more feasible.
- WN can't keep adding west coast flights as they are obviously proven to not be money-makers, but they've been pushing hard for slots so what new destinations do you expect them to add? You guys think AUS will stick around long, now that they don't have to chase out B6?
- What does this mean for new airlines wanting to come in for some market share? I know LGB is not by any means a gold mine but maybe ULCC could come in and entice with low fares?

Maybe Breeze will have a large presence in LGB. Worked for Neeleman once.

gregn21

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:11 pm

B6 will need more gate space at LAX to run these new flights, let alone 70 per day in the near future. Where are these gates coming from?

lightsaber

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:13 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:

Lightsaber

Not entirely sure if you're mocking me or agreeing with me but yeah, it's great for B6 to now have a cohesive strategy.

No mocking (not sure why it might come across like that):
I believe this a good strategy for JetBlue. The LGB base has always been low yield, so moving up to LAX makes sense. This is what I meant good for JetBlue.

For myself, I heavily prefer LGB. I am personally sad B6 is leaving LGB, but I fully understand JetBlue must do this.

My kids hate LAX. It is so chaotic for them, I do what I can to avoid it to make trips for my children more pleasant. One child so dislikes LAX, she will argue against going to Disneyworld to avoid LAX as the airport is that crowded/loud/busy. My daughters look forward to flying out of LGB as the experience is that different. These are the two easiest kids to travel with, if it isn't loud, they can sit, and their personal space isn't invaded. My longest TSA line at LGB was 20 minutes. My shortest at LAX was 25 minutes and it has broken an hour with the kids. This is what I meant bad for me JetBlue is moving North.

I myself avoid LAX. I will drive instead of flying to avoid the noise, lines, and grime. Yet I will fly out of LGB, even if slightly more expensive than driving (with rental car) as I am that much of an aviation nut. As a side comment, it shocks me people put up with LGA. LAX needs an expansion. I never had to wait long for food and I (or we when with family) never had trouble getting seats.

We agree better to move the pilot and fa bases than to loose them.

My preference for JetBlue was partially LGB oriented. However, I know how cheap the fares were and thus how poor the business case was for JetBlue.

LGB just freed up a whole concourse for any other airline with a good food court, nice bathrooms, and a decent shop.

I am now more interested in who fills the void at LGB, if anyone. I'm not certain the Southwest, Hawaiian, or Delta have the interest they did pre-Covid19.

I wonder how JetBlue is gaining enough LAX gates to grow this much? That was a reason they launched LGB. Obviously, someone else cut back enough that JetBlue can grow up to 70 flights/day.

I just cancelled a flight from LAX as between Covid19 and past memories of the experience, my daughter just didn't want to deal with it. You cannot convince a child it will be much less crowded when the prior experience was a long wait for bags, a long wait for TSA, a wait to get food and "we were so lucky to get seats by the gate."

If another airline moves into LGB, I will consider them if they fly where I want when I want (why yield is so much better at LAX).

Lightsaber

nine4nine

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:16 pm

gregn21 wrote:
B6 will need more gate space at LAX to run these new flights, let alone 70 per day in the near future. Where are these gates coming from?

With all the cuts there’s plenty of space. We aren’t dealing with pre-covid LAX. AA is shrinking, UA is in the verge of a massive 1/3 cut in its network, DL has its own complex north side. The new MSC is ready to go and t5 where JetBlue is currently has seen massive cuts by F9, NK, and SY. There’s plenty of growth space for whomever decides to jump into the water at this point.

11C

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:18 pm

jeffh747 wrote:

Having been based there two different times in my career, I share your sentiments. It was a fun base, great crew members, great customers, and a nice place to go to work. We tried very hard to get people where they were going, and that sometimes caused friction with the city. I look forward to the opportunities afforded by the move, while I regret all the hassle this will cause some people. This move needed to happen, and I’m glad to see our leadership team making bold moves. I won’t miss the RA’s and the quartering tailwind landings.

lightsaber

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:23 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
MDGLongBeach wrote:

Maybe Breeze will have a large presence in LGB. Worked for Neeleman once.

I missed your post.

Breeze sounds like exactly my type of airline. If they fly where I want when I want, I will fly them. By when, I am divorced and child pick-up is at a set time, so I need a flight enough later to get to the airport, get through TSA, and get the kids fed (ex always hands over hungry).

A further constraint is one child cannot sleep on a noisy aircraft; recall how much better a child's hearing is than an adult's. She can hear a dog 1 block further away than I can and I hear it 2 blocks earlier than any other adult (sometimes further). I look forward to flying the A220 (I keep getting 752, 739/9s, A319/A320/A321, or CRJs) with her to see if it is quiet enough.

However, isn't Breeze focusing East of the Mississippi? Of course, anything could change.

Lightsaber

ericm2031

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:29 pm

Will be interesting to see how B6 does on some of these with so many carriers on them. I wonder what new nonstops they can bring that aren't/haven't been served (according to the press release)?

AUS-AA, DL, B6, WN, NK, UA
BZN-G4, AA, DL, B6, UA
LAS-AS, G4, AA, DL, F9, B6, WN, NK, SY, UA
RNO-AA, B6, WN, UA
SLC-AA, DL, B6, WN, UA
SFO-AS, AA, DL, B6, WN, UA
SEA-AS, AA, DL, B6, UA

nine4nine wrote:
gregn21 wrote:

With all the cuts there’s plenty of space. We aren’t dealing with pre-covid LAX. AA is shrinking, UA is in the verge of a massive 1/3 cut in its network, DL has its own complex north side. The new MSC is ready to go and t5 where JetBlue is currently has seen massive cuts by F9, NK, and SY. There’s plenty of growth space for whomever decides to jump into the water at this point.

At least for the legacies, the majority of their gates are leased, so those aren't up for grabs even if they aren't using them. This is growth over the next 5 years, so I'm guessing they'll start at T5 but once AA needs to move Eagle to T5 and/or B6 needs more gates, they'll go to MSC.

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:01 pm

jplatts wrote:

UA adding nonstop service to LGB from its SFO, DEN, IAH, and/or ORD hubs might also be a possibility with UA already serving some other secondary airports on the West Coast such as BUR, PAE, ONT, SNA, SJC, and STS.

I highly doubt UA/UAX will be opening any new stations in the near future. They've already "done" LGB and have SoCal well covered (pre-COVID). Heck, they'll probably be shrinking LAX.

FlyinRabbit88

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:38 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how B6 does on some of these with so many carriers on them. I wonder what new nonstops they can bring that aren't/haven't been served (according to the press release)?

BZN-G4, AA, DL, B6, UA
RNO-AA, B6, WN, UA
SLC-AA, DL, B6, WN, UA
SEA-AS, AA, DL, B6, UA

nine4nine wrote:
gregn21 wrote:

At least for the legacies, the majority of their gates are leased, so those aren't up for grabs even if they aren't using them. This is growth over the next 5 years, so I'm guessing they'll start at T5 but once AA needs to move Eagle to T5 and/or B6 needs more gates, they'll go to MSC.

Rumors of jetblue will start hawaii service after the LRs arrive after London service. Also fly to places they wanted to serve in Mexico/Central America that was planned with the customs facility in lgb that was denied. And YVR.
Will be interesting the reactions of Alaska, and the big 3 if they start going to go after the west coast vacation hot spots.

ericm2031

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:02 pm

FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

BZN-G4, AA, DL, B6, UA
RNO-AA, B6, WN, UA
SLC-AA, DL, B6, WN, UA
SEA-AS, AA, DL, B6, UA

nine4nine wrote:

Rumors of jetblue will start hawaii service after the LRs arrive after London service. Also fly to places they wanted to serve in Mexico/Central America that was planned with the customs facility in lgb that was denied. And YVR.
Will be interesting the reactions of Alaska, and the big 3 if they start going to go after the west coast vacation hot spots.

"This will include multiple new markets, both domestic and international, some of which have never had nonstop service to and from LAX." Those are the ones I'm more interested in.

jplatts

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 pm

ericm2031 wrote:

SEA-AS, AA, DL, B6, UA

B6 can probably make LAX-SEA nonstop service work with VX no longer around and with significant demand being there between Greater Los Angeles and Seattle prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

ericm2031 wrote:
I wonder what new nonstops they can bring that aren't/haven't been served (according to the press release)?

There are some more domestic adds that could be made by B6 at LAX, including the following:
LAX-ALB - no current nonstop service, top domestic destination not served nonstop from LAX
LAX-ATL - WN dropping LAX-ATL nonstop service on October 31st, B6 already serving JFK, FLL, and MCO nonstop from ATL in addition to BOS
LAX-CHS - no current nonstop service, top domestic destination not served nonstop from LAX
LAX-CLT - AA currently the only airline having nonstop service to the West Coast from CLT, top route out of LAX without any nonstop competition
LAX-CLE - significant demand between LAX and CLE prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, UA and NK currently the only airlines serving CLE nonstop from LAX
LAX-RSW - no current nonstop service, top domestic destination not served nonstop from LAX
LAX-BDL - AA currently the only airline serving BDL nonstop from LAX, top route out of LAX without any nonstop competition
LAX-JAX - no current nonstop service, top domestic destination not served nonstop from LAX
LAX-PIT - currently only served nonstop by NK, previously served nonstop from LAX on WN
LAX-PDX - WN dropping PDX-LAX/BUR/ONT/SAN nonstop service on October 30th, AA, DL, and AS are the only other carriers serving PDX nonstop from LAX
LAX-RDU - currently served nonstop by only AA and DL
LAX-RIC - no current nonstop service, top domestic destination not served nonstop from LAX
LAX-ROC - no current nonstop service, top domestic destination not served nonstop from LAX
LAX-SYR - no current nonstop service, top domestic destination not served nonstop from LAX
LAX-TPA - only currently served nonstop by DL, WN and NK have both previously served TPA nonstop from LAX

B6 is also scheduled to take delivery of Airbus A220-300 planes starting in December 2020, and B6 could use the A220-300 to add nonstop service to LAX from some additional East Coast markets.

gregn21

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
"This will include multiple new markets, both domestic and international, some of which have never had nonstop service to and from LAX." Those are the ones I'm more interested in.

Thinner transcon routes would be my best guess. Think BDL, PVD, CHS, PIT, BWI, JAX, PBI, TPA, RSW. Smaller markets like ALB, ROC, SYR, HPN, RIC might even be possible with the A223 in the future. Would be similar to their early JFK ops and it seems like LAX-BUF has worked out so there's certainly promise.

CobaltScar

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:31 pm

I see a lot of local LGB people thinking the operations B6 built will be filled by SWA or another. When this does not happen and you are left with a hollowed out airport running a few RJs to western hubs, I hope you let your council know at meetings and the ballot box.

MDGLongBeach

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:52 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
I see a lot of local LGB people thinking the operations B6 built will be filled by SWA or another. When this does not happen and you are left with a hollowed out airport running a few RJs to western hubs, I hope you let your council know at meetings and the ballot box.

Considering that LGB has never really had any significant lapse in time where slots were available but not picked up in the post 2000 era, it's fair for us to assume an aggressive WN or another lcc would have some interest. This sort of statement has been made for the past few years now, but nothing even close to this has ever come to pass. The only argument I can see people making, is that some people push the illusion that LGB is some sort of goldmine, which in reality it's not. The airlines here now, either connect LGB to a large hub OR in WN's case, are here strategically and all of which have shown some interest in expanding (AAL being an exception)... I do not envision any other large scale exits or problems regarding slots not being taken are in line with the near future.

wnflyguy

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:32 pm

Remember WN still isn't at full fleet capacity in It's November-January scheduled so they have Aircraft to take advantage of this departure by JetBlue.
Breeze isn't even flying so there not in a position to grab land at LGB.
WN will obviously fill the JetBlue Void the most.
But F9 and Spirit have aircrafts they could drop into LGB.

Flyguy

HNLSLCPDX

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:34 pm

I don’t think an airline is suddenly going to grow right away with once B6 is gone. WN might had a little more service but nothing to the size B6 had at its peak, IMO. I’d bet HA will leave too and I also bet DL will scale back LGB since they won’t be fighting B6 their.

Maybe Breeze could come in and fill the void. The timing might be right come 2021 if they can get things rolling and maybe they could add routes such as LGB-FTW/AZA/PVU/IDA/BLI.

wnflyguy

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Well I always hear and post Rumors in good clean fun.
Thought it's a month earlier than expected.
B6 dropping LGB for LAX.
Dam that NuTJob Flyguy

jfklganyc

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:00 pm

Revenge is a dish best served cold

When JB got kicked down a few years ago, they didnt do anything hasty. That was smart.

They bid their time and waited for an opportunity. In every crisis, there is an opportunity

The final insult...not even a red eye to JFK.

“Elsewhere in greater Los Angeles, JetBlue will continue to serve Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) and Ontario International Airport (ONT), which are key to the airline’s broader LA strategy. JetBlue is appreciative of the support received from airport leadership and elected officials in both Burbank and Ontario."

And those two sentences say it all... along with 70 days notice

CobaltScar

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:11 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
B6 dropping LGB for LAX.
Dam that NuTJob Flyguy

Everyone knew this was going to happen soon as gates opened up.

B6 swooping into LAX is a move of opportunity

WN swooping into LGB is... hmm, a very poor use of resources when there is so much more valuable turf to seize or defend at this time.

They left EWR to "take over" LGB?? ok

jplatts

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
B6 dropping LGB for LAX.

B6 moving its remaining operations from LGB to LAX isn't the first time that such a move has been made, as there have been similar moves made in the past such as
  • F9 moving from Stapleton International Airport (old DEN airport) to Denver International Airport (current DEN airport) on February 28, 1995
  • WN moving from Robert Mueller Municipal Airport (old AUS airport) to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (current AUS airport) on May 23, 1999
  • WN moving its remaining IAH operations to HOU on April 2, 2005
  • FL pulling out of MIA on June 3, 2012 but continuing to serve FLL until the discontinuation of the FL brand in December 2014
  • F9 moving from CAK to CLE on January 9, 2013
  • F9 moving from DAY to CVG on May 16, 2013
  • NK moving from AZA to PHX on October 24, 2013
  • F9 moving its remaining MDW operations to ORD on April 14, 2015
  • G4 moving from CAK to CLE on February 15, 2017
  • WN moving from DAY to CVG on June 4, 2017
  • WN moving its remaining CAK operations to CLE on June 4, 2017
  • B6 moving from HOU to IAH on October 27, 2019
  • WN pulling out of EWR on November 2, 2019 but continuing to serve LGA and ISP in the NYC market

wnflyguy

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:28 pm

WN will most likely apply for all 17 slots.
If awarded I see.
Increase
SMF +1 4>5
SJC +1 4>5
PHX +2 3>5
LAS 4 daily
DEN 2 daily
BWI 1 daily
MDW 2 daily
HNL 1 daily
OGG 1 daily
KOA 1 daily
HOU 1 daily

Flyguy

jfklganyc

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
If awarded I see.
Increase
SMF +1 4>5
SJC +1 4>5
PHX +2 3>5
LAS 4 daily
DEN 2 daily
BWI 1 daily
MDW 2 daily
HNL 1 daily
OGG 1 daily
KOA 1 daily
HOU 1 daily

Flyguy

No offense man, you are dreaming...at least in the short term.

jplatts

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 pm

In addition to LGB-BWI/MDW/HNL/HOU/OGG/KOA, WN adding LGB-DAL nonstop service is also a possibility with DAL being one of the top destinations that WN currently serves nonstop from LAX but not LGB.

timpdx

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 pm

It was nice while it lasted for B6 at LGB. They just cut so much, Portland in particular. That I haven’t flown from there in years.

Lightsaber, you had to wait 20 minutes at TSA there? I don’t think it ever took me more than 5, ten tops.

I will always fondly remember taking B6 up on All You Can Jet. Every weekend without fail, I was there out of LGB to somewhere. Schedule was decent back then. Fun times.

lightsaber

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
B6 dropping LGB for LAX.
Dam that NuTJob Flyguy

Everyone knew this was going to happen soon as gates opened up.

B6 swooping into LAX is a move of opportunity

WN swooping into LGB is... hmm, a very poor use of resources when there is so much more valuable turf to seize or defend at this time.

They left EWR to "take over" LGB?? ok

Did I miss the link on gates? B6 wanted LAX, but chose LGB as gates were too precious way back when.

Since everyone is cutting service, I can believe this is happening for good reason. As an enthusiast, I'd love so see a gate transition plan.

Lightsaber

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:02 pm

It would be ALOT for southwest to take all JetBlue's slots in the short-term. Especially since I'd be shocked if delta didn't return some too so there's likely more coming. Hawaiian won't have JetBlue so might be time for them to exit also.

I think southwest will apply for every single slot just to see who else wants them and to be awarded them. Then they can never use most blame covid and sit there until someone looks intereted. Ask for delays or breaks which of course will be granted especially if no one else applies. Southwest might be holding all the cards here and the airport might lose alot of revenue.

Best addition WN could make for the network is add more Denver frequency that connects to alot more in the east with connections.

Boy losing JFK and BOS is killer for the airport! The airport could go without anymore east coast ever. Much shorter hops to hubs , you just became a true spoke long beach not someone's focus city.

The only airline I could see jumping in long beach-jfk would be delta it's a developed market that held 2x daily. 1x flight might make sense, but airlines are worried about survivial right now not even sure if they want or can handle new routes. So small in deltas survival picture I don't see them doing it unless the airport ponys up a really nice incentive package.

wnflyguy

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:18 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
It would be ALOT for southwest to take all JetBlue's slots in the short-term. Especially since I'd be shocked if delta didn't return some too so there's likely more coming. Hawaiian won't have JetBlue so might be time for them to exit also.

I think southwest will apply for every single slot just to see who else wants them and to be awarded them. Then they can never use most blame covid and sit there until someone looks intereted. Ask for delays or breaks which of course will be granted especially if no one else applies. Southwest might be holding all the cards here and the airport might lose alot of revenue.

Best addition WN could make for the network is add more Denver frequency that connects to alot more in the east with connections.

Boy losing JFK and BOS is killer for the airport! The airport could go without anymore east coast ever. Much shorter hops to hubs , you just became a true spoke long beach not someone's focus city.

The only airline I could see jumping in long beach-jfk would be delta it's a developed market that held 2x daily. 1x flight might make sense, but airlines are worried about survivial right now not even sure if they want or can handle new routes. So small in deltas survival picture I don't see them doing it unless the airport ponys up a really nice incentive package.

In this Covid environment WN still has a lot of slack in it's Fall schedule.
Adding some additional shot hop dots out of LGB can be easily achieved.

Flyguy

asteriskceo

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:19 pm

To those making this a liberal/conservative thing:

John Wayne airport, in republican Orange County has much heavier fines and even a stricter curfew, yet the airlines there manage to follow the rules. I’m very sad to see JetBlue leave, but to blame the mayor and city council is disingenuous. They are representing the constituents in their districts, and those constituents are extremely anti-noise.

I don’t agree with NIMBY-ism, but it’s a byproduct of a functioning democracy.

Wishing the best of luck to JetBlue at LAX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIflyer12

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:23 pm

ericm2031 wrote:

BZN-G4, AA, DL, B6, UA
RNO-AA, B6, WN, UA
SLC-AA, DL, B6, WN, UA
SEA-AS, AA, DL, B6, UA

It will be, indeed. LAX-SFO may have the volume and breadth of service requirements (F cabins, etc.) to support six carriers but I don't see how LAX-AUS can. I don't see how five LAX-SLC is supportable, either, with DL doing hub-hub.

jfklganyc

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:29 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

In this Covid environment WN still has a lot of slack in it's Fall schedule.
Adding some additional shot hop dots out of LGB can be easily achieved.

Flyguy

But no one is doing that.

Did you see UA sending warn notices to 30000 plus people yesterday?

No one is filling in fall slack because fall is going to be a financial disaster...even at WN.

The sunbelt states that looked like saviors in June have 30 percent loads now.

Medium term, this may happen.

Short term, come October, LGB is going to be one quiet airport.

MDGLongBeach

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:41 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
If awarded I see.
Increase
SMF +1 4>5
SJC +1 4>5
PHX +2 3>5
LAS 4 daily
DEN 2 daily
BWI 1 daily
MDW 2 daily
HNL 1 daily
OGG 1 daily
KOA 1 daily
HOU 1 daily

Flyguy

Seems a bit optimistic for LGB in the short term honestly.

On the other hand:
Everyone who's jumping to conclusions about HA and DL just dropping the airport is just ignorant, even in these times. Cuts to frequency are very likely to occur, but not a full on departure from the airport.

HA was reporting ~90% load factors in pre-covid times and picked up another slot for the rumored OGG service. Seemingly they are doing just fine here and I don't think having to contract services is a make or break here.

DL is the best performing airline at LGB, now that they have the SEA opening and B6 cutting the transcons, they could really make a nice little stand here. I'm fairing away from the use of "gold mine" as that term is an oxymoron whenever in relevance to LGB, but they have a decent opportunity here.. maybe not in the near future, but definitely something to look forward to in the distant.

Believe it or not, WN is losing the most, and is performing far worse than any other airline here. (excluding B6 now that they're gone)

SOURCE: http://www.longbeach.gov/globalassets/l ... er-updated

Sightseer

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:51 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

BZN-G4, AA, DL, B6, UA
RNO-AA, B6, WN, UA
SLC-AA, DL, B6, WN, UA
SEA-AS, AA, DL, B6, UA

It will be, indeed. LAX-SFO may have the volume and breadth of service requirements (F cabins, etc.) to support six carriers but I don't see how LAX-AUS can. I don't see how five LAX-SLC is supportable, either, with DL doing hub-hub.

And I think literally every single mainline carrier in the lower 48 will be on LAX-LAS.

MDW22L31C

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:57 am

Big day for southwest airlines at LGB.

JoseSalazar

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:59 am

MDW22L31C wrote:
Big day for southwest airlines at LGB.

I must have missed their announcement. Perhaps the day they commit to more routes/frequencies I would agree.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos