T4thH
Topic Author
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Local source in foreign language. Use a translator.
https://7sur7.cd/2019/12/14/rdc-congo-airways-va-acquerir-8-avions-neufs-dont-2-de-type-220-300-dairbus-de-132

DRC: Congo Airways will acquire 8 new aircraft, including 2 type A 220-300 from Airbus with 132 seats each (Official)


I welcome the signing between Congo Airways and Airbus for the acquisition of two new type A 220-300 aircraft with 132 seats each, two E-175 aircraft with 76 seats each with the Brazilian company Embraer and two ATR 42-600 aircraft of 48 places each with the Franco-Italian company intended for domestic service mainly for the opening up of the newly created provinces, which brings to a total workforce of 8 new aircraft which will have to be added to the existing fleet of the national company ", revealed the president of the Republic.

The Head of State said, however, that the first delivery will take place in December 2020.
 
SEU
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Are they E2-175s?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9931
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Congo Airways currently operate A320s and Q400s. They certainly like buying and trying all their options, and all in pairs.
 
User avatar
SR380
Posts: 766
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Polot wrote:
Congo Airways currently operate A320s and Q400s. They certainly like buying and trying all their options, and all in pairs.


The Embarer jet is said to replace the Dash:

https://linterview.cd/rdc-deux-avions-c ... o-airways/
 
T4thH
Topic Author
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:23 pm

SEU wrote:
Are they E2-175s?

The E175 order was already announced few days earlier on 10-Dec-2019. It has been already discussed here, no these are E175E1.
New are the 2x ATR42-600 and the 2x A220-300, these orders have been now stated as done by the president of Congo.
That an A220 order is on the way, was know/I was aware of.
https://www.africaintelligence.com/lce/business-circles/2019/11/06/airbus-on-felix-tshisekedi-s-shopping-list,108380508-art
 
User avatar
SR380
Posts: 766
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:23 pm

T4thH wrote:
Local source in foreign language. Use a translator.
https://7sur7.cd/2019/12/14/rdc-congo-airways-va-acquerir-8-avions-neufs-dont-2-de-type-220-300-dairbus-de-132

DRC: Congo Airways will acquire 8 new aircraft, including 2 type A 220-300 from Airbus with 132 seats each (Official)


I welcome the signing between Congo Airways and Airbus for the acquisition of two new type A 220-300 aircraft with 132 seats each, two E-175 aircraft with 76 seats each with the Brazilian company Embraer and two ATR 42-600 aircraft of 48 places each with the Franco-Italian company intended for domestic service mainly for the opening up of the newly created provinces, which brings to a total workforce of 8 new aircraft which will have to be added to the existing fleet of the national company ", revealed the president of the Republic.

The Head of State said, however, that the first delivery will take place in December 2020.


Wouldn't have been more cost effective to buy either 2 E175 and 2 E195, or 2 A220-100 and 2 A220-300 for common type ratings, maintenance, etc...? Also why ordering 2 more turboprop while the purpose of the 2 E175 was to replace the 2 Dash?
 
T4thH
Topic Author
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

SR380 wrote:
T4thH wrote:
Local source in foreign language. Use a translator.
https://7sur7.cd/2019/12/14/rdc-congo-airways-va-acquerir-8-avions-neufs-dont-2-de-type-220-300-dairbus-de-132

DRC: Congo Airways will acquire 8 new aircraft, including 2 type A 220-300 from Airbus with 132 seats each (Official)


I welcome the signing between Congo Airways and Airbus for the acquisition of two new type A 220-300 aircraft with 132 seats each, two E-175 aircraft with 76 seats each with the Brazilian company Embraer and two ATR 42-600 aircraft of 48 places each with the Franco-Italian company intended for domestic service mainly for the opening up of the newly created provinces, which brings to a total workforce of 8 new aircraft which will have to be added to the existing fleet of the national company ", revealed the president of the Republic.

The Head of State said, however, that the first delivery will take place in December 2020.


Wouldn't have been more cost effective to buy either 2 E175 and 2 E195, or 2 A220-100 and 2 A220-300 for common type ratings, maintenance, etc...? Also why ordering 2 more turboprop while the purpose of the 2 E175 was to replace the 2 Dash?

Congo is a big country, it seems they want to strengthens the regional connections inside of Congo. But in such a case the runway length matters; why they are exchanging a Dash8-Q400 with VSTOL features, by a E175E1....without any VSTOL features? And orders ATR42-600 which have some VSTOL features? Ethiopian airlines and the transport minister (+president) of Congo are involved; Congo airways is a national carrier.

Will the ATR42-600 and the A220-300 be leased? Ethiopian Air has their fingers in this story, maintenance will be provided for the A220 (according rumors) by them.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3067
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:42 pm

It would really make sense to have ordered 3 AT76s and 3 A220-300s...the latter possibly leased from ET, quickly becoming the major carrier in Africa.
 
avier
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:16 pm

I find African carriers make poor fleet choices, by ordering multiple variants from different manufacturers , despite being too small. That leads to their untimely demise. Here it's from three aircraft manufacturers for such a small order. Even EK sticks to two aircraft manufacturers in their large orders. ;)

And I find it funny how some posters here defend those choices. :lol:
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:56 pm

As weird as this order is, it’s great to see another A220 order.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18691
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:00 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
It would really make sense to have ordered 3 AT76s and 3 A220-300s...the latter possibly leased from ET, quickly becoming the major carrier in Africa.

Agreed, this is a bizarre order.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
oschkosch
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:36 pm

lightsaber wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
It would really make sense to have ordered 3 AT76s and 3 A220-300s...the latter possibly leased from ET, quickly becoming the major carrier in Africa.

Agreed, this is a bizarre order.

Lightsaber
Maybe the strangest order all year by any airline?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:
 
T4thH
Topic Author
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:59 am

oschkosch wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
It would really make sense to have ordered 3 AT76s and 3 A220-300s...the latter possibly leased from ET, quickly becoming the major carrier in Africa.

Agreed, this is a bizarre order.

Lightsaber
Maybe the strangest order all year by any airline?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Not the strangest order...but seems to be silly. I am fine with the A320 replacement by the A220-300. The ATR42-600 for short haul flights....OK. The main metropolis regions are in the far east or far west. Between there are 2000 km; why someone orders a turboprop plane with less than 2000 km range? There are many till now not used airports with extreme short runways, so if they would order the ATR 42-600 STOL version....

Sorry, I am not able to understand the E175 order. MTOW takeoff is 2250 m. There are just 4 or 5 airports with more than 2200 m runways in Congo with regular service. Congo is a big country, so also alternative airports with according runways for a E175, it is Africa, so passengers will regular fly with several suitcases, bags e.g. so they will be heavily loaded and have to fly with much fuel. Which routes they want to fly with a E175? II do not get it. Why the hell they want to replace the Dash 8 Q400 by E175E1? An A220-300 can fly inter Congo routes of 2000 km with full PAX, much luggage and half full tanks and will need a runway length of around 1500 to 1600 m for start? So they can fly most routes.
 
Amiga500
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 am

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:28 am

More small brown envelopes from multiple sources tend to add up to more than one single large brown envelope folks.
 
T4thH
Topic Author
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
More small brown envelopes from multiple sources tend to add up to more than one single large brown envelope folks.

Yes, bribery can be expected by one or two of these orders. Regarding the travel of the minister of transport to Airbus Toulouse (and I think, even Montreal) just for the A220; it seems they really wanted to have the A220-300 order as status symbol for their president, their country and the airline. Seems to have an A220 is something special in Africa now, with a A220 your country/national carrier is someone.

So the ATR and E175 order has to be discussed in detail....or better not....

One of the biggest and fast growing cities/metropolis in Congo is Goma, two million citizen. After the last eruption of the volcano, the runway is now shortened to 2 km. The Goma international airport is 1500 m high, so it is a hot and high airport. Why the hell they have ordered the E175E1, with an MTOW take off of 2250 m?
 
vinniewinnie
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:23 am

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
More small brown envelopes from multiple sources tend to add up to more than one single large brown envelope folks.


It would be very hard for major manufacturers to deliver those enveloppes without being caught. US, UK & France and most other counties have strict bribery laws. And as the US has shown many times, it can act against companies outside its juridiction.

Back to the topic: bizarre order. Flights between the major cities (Kinshasa - Kisangani - Goma - Lubumbashi) are usually full on A320’s despite their high cost ($500-$600). Downgrading capacity on these routes doesn’t make sense, unless this is a capacity increase. Mixing aircraft type doesn’t make sense either. Buying on the other hand makes sense as leasing cost to Congolese airlines are extremely high.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9931
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Congo Airways orders 8 new planes, of them two E175 (+2 options), two A220-300 and two ATR42-600

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:07 pm

vinniewinnie wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
More small brown envelopes from multiple sources tend to add up to more than one single large brown envelope folks.


It would be very hard for major manufacturers to deliver those enveloppes without being caught. US, UK & France and most other counties have strict bribery laws. And as the US has shown many times, it can act against companies outside its juridiction.

Back to the topic: bizarre order. Flights between the major cities (Kinshasa - Kisangani - Goma - Lubumbashi) are usually full on A320’s despite their high cost ($500-$600). Downgrading capacity on these routes doesn’t make sense, unless this is a capacity increase. Mixing aircraft type doesn’t make sense either. Buying on the other hand makes sense as leasing cost to Congolese airlines are extremely high.

American/British/French/Canadian/etc companies bribe all the time. They sometimes get caught (as both Airbus and RR recently have) and promise reform but it never fully goes away.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos