Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLASFlyer
Topic Author

SEA to allow non-travelers airside again

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:34 pm

SeaTac Airport has made permanent a trial program allowing anyone to visit the secure side of the airport for any reason. Guests just have to fill out an online form and present a QR code and ID at the security checkpoint. Limited to 100 people per day for now.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/trave ... th-family/
Last edited by DLASFlyer on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Re: SEA to allow non-travelers airside again

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 pm

This is a good start. I hope it gains traction. Unfortunately I cannot view the article. Is there a fee for this service? I do not think a security clearance fee would be unreasonable. You are using a service, so paying for the screening should be expected. I'd like to see the limits adjusted hourly based on travel demand. So when things are slower, you can allow more non traveling people through.

PA110

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Oh great! Because security lines aren't backed up enough as it is. I was just there and the main security screening post was a total shit-show. Even the TSA precheck on the south side by the entrance to the A concourse was backed up. Until we have smoother security screening, keep non-flyers away from the gate.
Last edited by PA110 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

32andBelow

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:45 pm

SeaTac tsa is already a nightmare

fcogafa

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:45 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
SeaTac Airport has made permanent a trial program allowing anyone to visit the secure side of the airport for any reason. Guests just have to fill out an online form and present a QR code at the security checkpoint. Limited to 100 people per day for now.

The most interesting quote....

.....the passes are not limited to those picking up or dropping off passengers. Lyttle says anticipates the program will be popular with a different group entirely: aviation enthusiasts seeking prime plane-spotting territory.

DLASFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 pm

Indy wrote:
This is a good start. I hope it gains traction. Unfortunately I cannot view the article. Is there a fee for this service? I do not think a security clearance fee would be unreasonable. You are using a service, so paying for the screening should be expected. I'd like to see the limits adjusted hourly based on travel demand. So when things are slower, you can allow more non traveling people through.

It is free. TSA approval comes in about 15 minutes for same day requests.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/sea-vi ... ss-program

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:07 pm

This is one of the worst airports to try this. It's already a crowded mess airside. Only LGA might be worse.

roadrunner165

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 pm

I don't mind exceptions for parents with minor kids traveling alone or for those with mobility issues but otherwise Seattle is a zoo already. Keep extra people away. But I suppose there are profits to be made by the Port Authority - so there's you're answer as to why.

cschleic

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 pm

fcogafa wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:
SeaTac Airport has made permanent a trial program allowing anyone to visit the secure side of the airport for any reason. Guests just have to fill out an online form and present a QR code at the security checkpoint. Limited to 100 people per day for now.

The most interesting quote....

.....the passes are not limited to those picking up or dropping off passengers. Lyttle says anticipates the program will be popular with a different group entirely: aviation enthusiasts seeking prime plane-spotting territory.

Considering SeaTac has limited spotting options outside the airport, and the good views from the food court (if the remodel is ever finished) plus some of the lounges, not surprising. But it is an overcrowded mess at this time.

questions

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Regardless of whether SEA is capable of handling this or not, why are they doing this? What is the need?

CantbeGrounded

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:30 pm

It amounts to two-tenths of one percent additional traffic through the checkpoint (or thereabouts). CEO gave a great press conference this morning, should any of you who have questions about intent want to view it. Another great reason to get PreCheck - if you think the 100 a day will affect you (LOL). They can't use thePreCheck lane.

CantbeGrounded

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 pm

questions wrote:
Regardless of whether SEA is capable of handling this or not, why are they doing this? What is the need?

No need. Desire to improve the experience, bring back the former joy, a little additional non-aero revenue in the form of concession and parking dollars, and some great press.

gunsontheroof

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:42 pm

CantbeGrounded wrote:
questions wrote:

No need. Desire to improve the experience, bring back the former joy, a little additional non-aero revenue in the form of concession and parking dollars, and some great press.

Yep. I have fond memories of visiting SEA as a kid with my dad to watch planes come and go. It's obviously much busier 25 years later, but I'll probably take advantage of this.

AWACSooner

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:43 pm

OMG! What is SEA thinking?!? Those 100 extra folks per day are going to COLLAPSE the entire TSA security lines and bring the airport to a complete and utter STANDSTILL! No one will ever make their departing flights again because of this!

;)

32andBelow

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:20 am

AWACSooner wrote:
OMG! What is SEA thinking?!? Those 100 extra folks per day are going to COLLAPSE the entire TSA security lines and bring the airport to a complete and utter STANDSTILL! No one will ever make their departing flights again because of this!

;)

You’d assume it’s a trial to one day remove the limit.

SRQKEF

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:24 am

32andBelow wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

;)

And then the airport will be awash with non-flyers? :sarcastic:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:42 am

SRQKEF wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

;)

Have you been to SEA? Most of the time there is nowhere to sit. The airport has very few chairs because it's that overcrowded.

SRQKEF

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:14 am

Varsity1 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Have you been to SEA? Most of the time there is nowhere to sit. The airport has very few chairs because it's that overcrowded.

I have, many times in fact. Originating in KEF it's my preferred West Coast connection point along with DEN. However, I just can't see non-flyers wanting to go airside, let alone willing to go through the hassle of applying for it first, ever approaching 0,1% of the total number of people going through. As such, it's minuscule enough that it has no impact on daily operations.

Kind regards!
Sveinn :)

NameOmitted

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:16 am

As someone who lives in Alaska, I love this. I have many friends in Seattle, but can't visit them during a stopover... Mostly because TSA is such a time-suck.

Now, with a bit of indulgence on their part, we can do lunch.

Kent350787

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:19 am

SRQKEF wrote:
However, I just can't see non-flyers wanting to go airside, let alone willing to go through the hassle of applying for it first, ever approaching 0,1% of the total number of people going through. As such, it's minuscule enough that it has no impact on daily operations.

Kind regards!
Sveinn :)

I've never visited SEA, but agree on the numbers. Here in Oz major airports allow airside access to the gate domestically - you only need to clear security. I don't have any hard data (and suspect there isn't any collected) but my general observation would be well below 1% of visitors, even where you don't need to pre-apply.

CantbeGrounded

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:00 pm

If there is ANY evidence that these non-flyers bring additional revenue in parking and concessions, AND they apply in numbers that exceed the 100 limit and might affect guest wait times, then there is solid justification to add additional resources of lanes, equipment, and staff ot0 accommodate them. The revenue is there, and the non-impact to guests is there.

jfklganyc

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:06 pm

SEA TAC was an awfully crowded airport

TSA is a miserable experience just about everywhere

For those reasons alone, this is a STUPID, UNNECESSARY program in America Year 2019.

Let’s get real

SEA

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:08 pm

So many dramatic replies in this thread! If 100 extra people airside will break the airport, I hope a 77W never has to divert to SEA. Imagine the absolute chaos!

klakzky123

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:14 pm

SEA wrote:
So many dramatic replies in this thread! If 100 extra people airside will break the airport, I hope a 77W never has to divert to SEA. Imagine the absolute chaos!

For whatever reason, people on this thread are convinced that all 100 people will enter the airport at the exact same time and distribute themselves equally among TSA lines to inflict maximum pain at the security lines.

And once they clear security they'll all distribute themselves evenly to create long lines at the restaurants in the central area.

And when they've purchased their food, they'll all converge on the Delta lounges and take up all of the seating.

DFW17L

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:20 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
SEA TAC was an awfully crowded airport

TSA is a miserable experience just about everywhere

For those reasons alone, this is a STUPID, UNNECESSARY program in America Year 2019.

Let’s get real

SEA is very crowded.

cschleic

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:29 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
SEA wrote:

For whatever reason, people on this thread are convinced that all 100 people will enter the airport at the exact same time and distribute themselves equally among TSA lines to inflict maximum pain at the security lines.

And once they clear security they'll all distribute themselves evenly to create long lines at the restaurants in the central area.

And when they've purchased their food, they'll all converge on the Delta lounges and take up all of the seating.

Well if they all show up to see the two Icelandair 757s land almost in formation then it might! Seriously though, didn't Delta recently change the entrance requirement to include a same-day flight?

ER757

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

There is a massive expansion going on and the "nowhere to sit" problem will be eased somewhat as more venues open. Make no mistake, this program isn't geared towards more people hanging around at the gates - this is all about the food and retail vendors - there's literally dozens of new shops and restaurants either open or in the works. The central terminal is adding a 2nd floor that will have a couple restaurants and a really impressive spotting area. The north satellite already added some new places with more to come as construction continues. That's what this is about - not Johnny going to see Grandma off on her flight. And as others have said, 100 extra people per day isn't even a blip on the radar so people should settle down with all this gloom and doom nonsense.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:07 pm

100 people a day won't change security wait times. With that said unless you have an early departure, i bet they hit the 100 number quickly.

RobertPhoenix

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:00 pm

I think one very good reason to allow non-passengers would be for people meeting passengers who need some help. That would include those who have difficulty getting their luggage, and those visitors from foreign countries that don't speak or read English.

lessredtape

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Indy wrote:
this has been the case at all Australian domestic airports, forever IIRC.

No silly forms to fill out, no daily limit, but maybe we have better security than in USA ? The scanners in Australia, probably get paid 10 times as much as well + lots & lots of benefits.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 am

lessredtape wrote:
Indy wrote:

No silly forms to fill out, no daily limit, but maybe we have better security than in USA ? The scanners in Australia, probably get paid 10 times as much as well + lots & lots of benefits.

Considering EL AL says Aussie security isn't good enough to launch service there, probably not.

10 times as much? TSA are federal employees and make 50K+ a year. I doubt security in Australia pays half a million.

COSPN

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:24 am

EL AL is going to try MEL flights so I guess a back room deal has been made for security

luckyone

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:39 am

RobertPhoenix wrote:
I think one very good reason to allow non-passengers would be for people meeting passengers who need some help. That would include those who have difficulty getting their luggage, and those visitors from foreign countries that don't speak or read English.

Unless I'm not quite following you, baggage claim is post-security where anyone can go and assist if need be. These permits wouldn't allow people into the international pre-customs baggage claim to assist anyone, would they?

lessredtape

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:01 am

Varsity1 wrote:
lessredtape wrote:
Indy wrote:

Considering EL AL says Aussie security isn't good enough to launch service there, probably not.

10 times as much? TSA are federal employees and make 50K+ a year. I doubt security in Australia pays half a million.
my error then. Thought TSA employees were on min wage. Maybe then in Australia they only get twice as much, but more benefits. Regardless, am sure security in Australia in far superior to anything in USA.

bluejuice

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:50 am

If this does become the norm, I hope caps do not come off. I remember pre 9/11 when anyone could go airside at JFK and LGA. There were all sorts of people soliciting money, asking people to sign petitions, selling all sorts of services, grifters preying on naive travelers, petty crooks, and homeless looking for a place to stay.

AWACSooner

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:01 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

$50K? Not bad for a bunch of "high school dropouts." ;)

pune

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:35 pm

I do hope that more airports do that. For e.g. in my limited international flying experience, have been to places where it would have been productive to meet friends, have lunch, just be rather than be on your own for x number of hours waiting for the plane to be boarded. People you haven't met/connected for years so possibilities of all sorts of stories to share, remember and re-remember. This is what it aviation or any sort of transportation is and was meant for, a means to an end rather than the end itself .

WA707atMSP

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:57 pm

bluejuice wrote:
If this does become the norm, I hope caps do not come off. I remember pre 9/11 when anyone could go airside at JFK and LGA. There were all sorts of people soliciting money, asking people to sign petitions, selling all sorts of services, grifters preying on naive travelers, petty crooks, and homeless looking for a place to stay.

I agree. One of the good things that's happened post 9/11 is that there is less theft inside security, now that pick pockets and other criminals can't get through without a ticket.

However, I think there should be more flexibility if you are a member of TSA PreCheck or Clear; I think members of these programs should be able to go through security without a ticket at any time, since members of these programs are considered very low risk. There were times when I was staying at an airport hotel pre 9/11 when I'd go to the airport for dinner, because the food options were better in the terminal than they were at my hotel, and it would be nice to have this option again, or even meet relatives inside security who are changing planes at my local airport.

axiom

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 pm

TPA has had a similar program for some time. The sky hasn’t fallen there.

RobertPhoenix

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:32 pm

luckyone wrote:
RobertPhoenix wrote:

Unless I'm not quite following you, baggage claim is post-security where anyone can go and assist if need be. These permits wouldn't allow people into the international pre-customs baggage claim to assist anyone, would they?

You are right for US domestic flights, but not for international flights, and not, I think, for any flights in most other countries I have visited.

mga707

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:35 pm

axiom wrote:
TPA has had a similar program for some time. The sky hasn’t fallen there.

So has PIT.

twicearound

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Looking at it from a security standpoint I think this is a bad idea. Never mind the extra crowds. What's to stop Joe or Jane off the street from coming through and trying to sneak on a flight without a ticket? At least now, one has to already have purchased a ticket to access the sterile areas so the risk it fairly low, and while it rarely does happen, I could see it happening more frequently with this program.

SEA

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:18 pm

twicearound wrote:
Looking at it from a security standpoint I think this is a bad idea. Never mind the extra crowds. What's to stop Joe or Jane off the street from coming through and trying to sneak on a flight without a ticket? At least now, one has to already have purchased a ticket to access the sterile areas so the risk it fairly low, and while it rarely does happen, I could see it happening more frequently with this program.

Is this a joke?

cschleic

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:22 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

$50K? Not bad for a bunch of "high school dropouts." ;)

Funny how it has been nearly 20 years and issues are forgotten. Remember that in the past most security screening was controlled by airlines or maybe airports, was a cost issue and often compared to the stereotypes of security guards. In the immediate aftermath of 9/11, comparisons were made to, for example, The Netherlands and its more formalized process. So federalizing the program for consistency, a more professional approach and higher salaries for higher quality employees was adopted. Now...complaints about overpaid TSA staff, etc.

AWACSooner

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:24 pm

twicearound wrote:

Feel free to google all the cases of folks in the US (including kids) who have managed to successfully get through security and onto a plane (and sometimes to the final destination) without a ticket...it's already happening. I doubt it'll skyrocket just cause a few extra folks are coming in.

aumaverick

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:43 pm

It's all a matter of perspective. At PIT, this isn't so much of an issue because the airport is laid out in such a way many of the ancillary services (TSA, Check-in, etc) are built away from the main areas of embarkation. MCO and ATL are another prime example. However, with airports like SEA, LAX, SFO, LGA, DFW, and to a greater extent ATL, either with limited separation of space between security and the gates and/or high volume of passengers, this seems like a horrible idea.

Before 9/11, PIT originally intended to build out more of a shopping mall at the airport open to the public. With a greatly reduced shopping experience, they have brought back the air-side visitation. It works, but again, it has the space and capacity to do so. The idea isn't going to work everywhere.

https://www.flypittsburgh.com/mypitpass

MartijnNL

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:28 pm

PA110 wrote:
Oh great! Because security lines aren't backed up enough as it is. I was just there and the main security screening post was a total shit-show. Even the TSA precheck on the south side by the entrance to the A concourse was backed up. Until we have smoother security screening, keep non-flyers away from the gate.

This website is for people who love aviation. Every member should encourage this. Make America's airports great again!

An older thread with a lot of negativity:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1372629

Personally I am very happy with this development. I can see myself travelling to Seattle for a few days of planespotting, just like in the good old, pre 9/11 days. This is a dream come true!

Seabear

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 pm

SEA wrote:
twicearound wrote:

Is this a joke?

Of course not....

GSPSPOT

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:19 am

questions wrote:

No "need" per se, but perhaps a slow return to what many of us who are old enough fondly remember.

strfyr51

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:31 am

The SEA Terminal is beautiful. It Exceeds many places as somewhere to spend a day or evening .

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos