Aptivaboy
Topic Author

Denied Boarding - a Man and His Possum

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:25 pm

https://simpleflying.com/united-airline ... ue-possum/

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/man-jetb ... ht-opossum

Personally, I think the possum is adorable! My take? If the passenger called Jetblue and arranged ahead of time for the critter to fly, then he should have been able to fly. I have no issues with airlines setting their animal policies, but if he was allowed to fly on the first leg of his journey with his furry friend, then he should have been allowed on the rest of his Jetblue segments. Plus, a possum simply isn't any larger than the average Jetblue approved cat or dog, anyway, so what's the big deal? It's not like its an emotional support horse, or anything like that (don't get me started - at the high school I work at we know have emo support dogs for kids about to take final exams!).

I'm glad United got them both home, even if the passenger didn't quite advertise the fact that the animal in the carrier was a possum. What are your thoughts? Should Jetblue have kicked the duo off of the second flight after allowing them on the first one?

727LOVER

Re: Denied Boarding - a Man and His Possum

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:43 pm

I totally agree with you. If you're allowed on one segment, then why not the rest?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

santi319

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:43 pm

There is nothing to see here, even the news report states:

“JetBlue’s website does state that it only accepts small cats and dogs as pets. Therefore, it is clear about its policy.”

So why is this even news? He should’ve flown United from the get go..

Slow news day again...

TW870

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/united-airlines-jetblue-possum/

Personally, I think the possum is adorable! My take? If the passenger called Jetblue and arranged ahead of time for the critter to fly, then he should have been able to fly. I have no issues with airlines setting their animal policies, but if he was allowed to fly on the first leg of his journey with his furry friend, then he should have been allowed on the rest of his Jetblue segments. Plus, a possum simply isn't any larger than the average Jetblue approved cat or dog, anyway, so what's the big deal? It's not like its an emotional support horse, or anything like that (don't get me started - at the high school I work at we know have emo support dogs for kids about to take final exams!).

I'm glad United got them both home, even if the passenger didn't quite advertise the fact that the animal in the carrier was a possum. What are your thoughts? Should Jetblue have kicked the duo off of the second flight after allowing them on the first one?

My guess the big deal is that this is a safety issue. You can't bring rodents on aircraft because their jaws allow them to chew through all sorts of materials. If they escape their container and climb through air ducts or other passages into the below-floor area, they could chew through cables that directly impact the flight characteristics of the airplane. An opossum is a larger animal, but my guess is the airline was cautious given that fear.

727LOVER

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:45 pm

santi319 wrote:

“JetBlue’s website does state that it only accepts small cats and dogs as pets. Therefore, it is clear about its policy.”

Slow news day again...

Then why did Jetblue allow it on the first segment?

Dogs and cats only? So no hamsters, birds or rabbits?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

kalvado

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:51 pm

TW870 wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

My guess the big deal is that this is a safety issue. You can't bring rodents on aircraft because their jaws allow them to chew through all sorts of materials. If they escape their container and climb through air ducts or other passages into the below-floor area, they could chew through cables that directly impact the flight characteristics of the airplane. An opossum is a larger animal, but my guess is the airline was cautious given that fear.

Being picky about biology, this is marsupial, not rodent. While wire-biting concern may still hold - although I am not positive - marsupials are as close to rodents as they are to humans.

Elementalism

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:52 pm

santi319 wrote:

Slow news day again...

It is news because Jet Blue apparently broke its own policy going to Austin. Then decided to enforce it on the way back, stranding him for 4 days.

YYZYYT

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:03 pm

TW870 wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

Um... not to be a stickler for detail but a possum isn't a rodent, it's a marsupial.

But agree with others: when the airline clears it in advance, and lets a passenger fly part way, they bear the responsibility. Now if the guy showed up with Fluffy unannounced, or pretended it was a cat, that would be another story.

tjwgrr

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Opossums are wild animals. Wild animals shouldn't be pets. Wild animals don't belong on commercial aircraft.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

ozark1

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Stop the madness! I'm sure there are cute rats too. A Possum is NOT, NOT allowed as an emotionally support rodent. Please, enough

ozark1

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:09 pm

YYZYYT wrote:
TW870 wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

Um... not to be a stickler for detail but a possum isn't a rodent, it's a marsupial.

But agree with others: when the airline clears it in advance, and lets a passenger fly part way, they bear the responsibility. Now if the guy showed up with Fluffy unannounced, or pretended it was a cat, that would be another story.

WHO CARE WHAT IT IS? ITS NOT ALLOWED

Ziyulu

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:10 pm

727LOVER wrote:
I totally agree with you. If you're allowed on one segment, then why not the rest?

I disagree. If you bought a gun with you on your first flight, are you allowed to have the gun on your remaining flights?

Aptivaboy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Opossums are wild animals. Wild animals shouldn't be pets. Wild animals don't belong on commercial aircraft.

The critter in question looks quite domesticated, and cute!

WA707atMSP

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:24 pm

TW870 wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

Seriously, when is this bull$#!+ going to end? I'm okay with seeing eye dogs and professionally trained emotional support dogs being allowed on airplanes. Otherwise, either (1) your pet stays home, or (2) you AND your pet stay home. People who are selfish enough to bring their "emotional support" pets on board aircraft need to stop inflicting misery on people like myself who are not comfortable around animals.

dtremit

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:46 pm

727LOVER wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Slow news day again...

My guess is an employee saw a cat-sized animal in a cat carrier and thought it was a cat...

lightsaber

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:17 pm

dtremit wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Slow news day again...

My guess is an employee saw a cat-sized animal in a cat carrier and thought it was a cat...

Exactly, an employee isn't allowed to modify corporate policy.

He did call... So I feel bad for him.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

NYPECO

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:58 pm

I'm not sure why someone would have an opossum as a pet, but if he called ahead and JetBlue said it was okay, it's the airline's fault for confirming the pet could be brought on the plane, and allowing it on the aircraft for the first leg. People are bringing up emotional support stuff, but I don't see anywhere in the article where he claimed it was an emotional support animal, unless I'm missing it.

flyingturtle

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:40 pm

The man had already cleared security and boarded when staff discovered the cat, err, the forbidden kind of cat.

What are the security and boarding agents doing as their jobs, again?
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

ParkFSI

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:45 pm

tjwgrr wrote:

Agree, no Possums on my plane. If you can’t hold it, it don’t need to travel uncaged.

dtw2hyd

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:52 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

They also look cute when playing dead or going in circles with Rabies.

DFW17L

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 am

Maybe he's on his way to see Granny for the holidays... ;)

WA707atMSP

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:35 am

What do the Detroit Lions and opossums have in common? They both play dead at home, and get killed on the road.

Aptivaboy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:38 am

Hey, my Browns resemble that remark!!!

People who are selfish enough to bring their "emotional support" pets on board aircraft need to stop inflicting misery on people like myself who are not comfortable around animals.

Its not an emotional support beastie, just a pet. And, to be perfectly honest, I'd rather fly with a cabin full of pets than a few entitled jerks, millenials and crying babies like on my last flight. I've seen plenty of drunk, aggressive, smelly pax before, but in all of the flights I've been on with animals, they've been the best behaved passengers on the plane.

ikramerica

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:50 am

The transportation of wildlife has all sorts of regulations and requirements. Sticking it in a pet carrier and calling it Spot doesn’t make it a domesticated animal.

I don’t know if possums are known for chewing things. But they are good at opening things.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

dampfnudel

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:44 am

Aptivaboy wrote:
Hey, my Browns resemble that remark!!!

People who are selfish enough to bring their "emotional support" pets on board aircraft need to stop inflicting misery on people like myself who are not comfortable around animals.

Its not an emotional support beastie, just a pet. And, to be perfectly honest, I'd rather fly with a cabin full of pets than a few entitled jerks, millenials and crying babies like on my last flight. I've seen plenty of drunk, aggressive, smelly pax before, but in all of the flights I've been on with animals, they've been the best behaved passengers on the plane.

You say that until one of them decides to bite you. Of course, sometimes humans bite as well, but I think some animals are more likely to do so when startled, afraid, anxious, etc.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR

KDAL

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:52 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

Fun fact, Opossums are actually naturally immune to rabies!
All opinions and views expressed are my own and not representative of those of Southwest Airlines Co., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.

opticalilyushin

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:14 am

I didn't realise Cletus from The Simpsons flew JetBlue :-D

vhqpa

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:34 am

In the article he claims he called the airline and got verbal approval to take the animal. I suppose it's easy to say after the fact, but if was the case then maybe he should have requested approval in writing.

Having said that it's states quite clearly on their website "We only accept small cats and dogs as pets." If he did get verbal approval, he was given incorrect information.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

speedbird52

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 am

ozark1 wrote:
Stop the madness! I'm sure there are cute rats too. A Possum is NOT, NOT allowed as an emotionally support rodent. Please, enough

My emotional support chicken resents this statement.

RyanairGuru

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Delete
Worked Hard, Flew Right

RyanairGuru

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:45 pm

I have just learnt something, I had no idea - none at all - that marsupials were endemic to anywhere other than Australia.

I was going to ask why people were calling them "opossum" with an O, as in Australia they are just possum, but it turns out that the opossum is a species of possum endemic to the Americas. Amazing!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ewt340

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:48 pm

This is JetBlue's fault.
They should have let the animal in both sector or don't allowed it at all.

The fact that he got approval before flying and then he was able to flew on the first sector with the possum means that JetBlue screwed their policy up.

dtw2hyd

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:07 pm

KDAL wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

Interesting, I thought all mammals are susceptible to rabies.

bohica

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:33 pm

In today's "politically correct" society, the possum should have identified as a cat.

KDAL

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:05 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
KDAL wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Interesting, I thought all mammals are susceptible to rabies.

Most are. However, the opossum's body temperature is too low to host the rabies virus. They're also immune to many toxins and snake venoms!
All opinions and views expressed are my own and not representative of those of Southwest Airlines Co., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.

Seabear

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:40 pm

bohica wrote:
In today's "politically correct" society, the possum should have identified as a cat.

Or perhaps the possum is transitioning to a golden retriever?

ER757

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:15 pm

DFW17L wrote:

:rotfl: As someone old enough to get this reference, I had a good belly laugh.
Thanks, you made my day

DFW17L

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:49 pm

ER757 wrote:
DFW17L wrote:

:rotfl: As someone old enough to get this reference, I had a good belly laugh.
Thanks, you made my day

ChrisKen

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:54 pm

KDAL wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

Being immune from rabies is not the same as unable to carry rabies. Your fun fact is incorrect btw, although rather rare opossums can contract rabies. They're also known to carry rabies, along with a whole host of other nasties.

alasizon

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:16 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
What are the security and boarding agents doing as their jobs, again?

No part of TSA is required to screen whether or not the animals are accepted on the carriers or not. Their job is simply to make sure there are no guns, knives, hand grenades or RPGs hidden inside the animal.

lightsaber wrote:
dtremit wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Exactly, an employee isn't allowed to modify corporate policy.

He did call... So I feel bad for him.

Lightsaber

I'm fairly certain they assumed it was a cat and called it good. Most agents don't look inside the carrier if they are already marked as approved having a pet.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

flyingturtle

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:20 pm

alasizon wrote:
No part of TSA is required to screen whether or not the animals are accepted on the carriers or not. Their job is simply to make sure there are no guns, knives, hand grenades or RPGs hidden inside the animal.

I will proudly put my squeaky, hissy ball of cat-like fur on the counter, and demand MESSIEURS, CHECK THIS SQUEAKY, HISSY BALL OF CAT-LIKE FUR FOR GUNS, KNIVES, HAND GRENADES AND RPGS!
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

WA707atMSP

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:32 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
alasizon wrote:

I will proudly put my squeaky, hissy ball of cat-like fur on the counter, and demand MESSIEURS, CHECK THIS SQUEAKY, HISSY BALL OF CAT-LIKE FUR FOR GUNS, KNIVES, HAND GRENADES AND RPGS!

It would be nice if your cat was on the same flight as a fake emotional support dog. I'm sure your cat would teach the fake ESA dog, and its family, a very painful lesson....and ensure the fake ESA dog's family never brought the dog with them on an airplane again.

Sokes

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

That can be deceptive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaJ2yQC_ktY
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Aptivaboy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:54 pm

As someone old enough to get this reference, I had a good belly laugh.
Thanks, you made my day

Same!!!

I'm fairly certain they assumed it was a cat and called it good. Most agents don't look inside the carrier if they are already marked as approved having a pet.

The pax called the airline and told them it was a possum. The airline okayed it. That's the issue. The pax called, got it cleared, flew the first leg, then was denied on the way back.

alasizon

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

The pax called the airline and told them it was a possum. The airline okayed it. That's the issue. The pax called, got it cleared, flew the first leg, then was denied on the way back.

I never denied that the phone call ahead of time made it an issue, but as far as the agent that allowed them on the first time; it likely was a case of not looking to verify it was a cat (or whatever other animal they thought it was).
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

solracfunk14

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:53 pm

dtremit wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Slow news day again...

Working for another Neeleman enterprise with the same name of JetBlue minus Jet, the policy it's the same, but in that case the rule is: he should allow him.

Lingon

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:48 am

Aptivaboy wrote:

So, how was the crew supposed to know the opossum was okayed? Did he tell the airline what flight he would be on and expect them to inform the crew and gate agents, or was he supposed to carry some document stating he was okayed for an exception? Did he show such a document?

If you sneak on the plane not saying anything, and when caught states "Mr Hotshot at your head office told me it was OK", no one will believe you. If you get a permission to break rules, make sure to carry proof for said permission and tell people what you are doing.

eugdjinn

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Exactly! If the representative in reservations had the authority to give that permission, then said person also had the ability and responsibility to DOCUMENT it in the passengers reservation (PNR) and by doing so, absolve all future agents of responsibility, or lay out what documents would be required for the possum to fly. In fact, regardless of the nature of the conversation, it should have been documented so that everyone knew what was coming at them. Even if the Res. agent said, "oh no, I don't believe we can accept a possum, but go to the airport and see a supervisor to check ahead of time." It should have been in the PNR. If it's weird, note it. And if the check in, or gate agents see that, they should quietly print a copy and hand it to the crew, with a, "Hey, here's a heads up, and if you need us to add anything into the record, let us know." I taught every one of the agents I supervised how to add comments, what was and was not appropriate, and how to add a segment that would hold a PNR open for three additional months in case it was needed for reference. These are fundamentals in the industry.

And yes, the crew on board has the right to expect that once an animal is sent on board by Customer Service, every document and rule has been checked and verified by the counter and gate. It is not the crew's responsibility or function to do so. Just like it is not the crew's job to figure out that a bag is too large, if it comes through the door, it should have been verified, and should have it's o.k.. Your mileage may vary, and it is not a perfect world.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos