Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZazuPIT

Re: Frontier Announcement at MIA Tomorrow

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:17 pm

OB1504 wrote:
They’re probably going to announce MIA as a new base.

I expect a bloodbath between AA, Frontier, and Spirit.

The only blood that will be let is F9's, and I suspect plenty of it if they even try to get to deep into AA's business.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:18 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Northeast less than daily seems like little risk.

I can find a total of 5.6 million cruise passengers annually out of the Port of Miami (just Miami, not Port Everglades) but can't find monthly data to show seasonality.

The cruise port is crazy seasonal... I can watch them my balcony and I’d say the lowest is around 14/week during hurricane season and peaks at like 7 a day on the weekends in the winter.

One more biased rant... I see they they canned PVD-RDU/DEN (both of which ran 90% all summer) so they can add BOS MIA daily on the off season with a schedule that doesn’t even work for said cruises (early Miami departure) because their gate at BOS requires them to be out by noon... good luck with that

Cruises from Florida are not “highly” seasonal. There are far more than 14/week in the summer. There is a huge market in the summer, as well. And Miami-Boston is an insanely massive local market that is not reliant on cruise ship passengers in the least.
a.

usairways85

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:18 pm

BWI-SAL nonstop?? That is out of left field.

MIA-SDQ, SAL, GUA all bookable

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:32 pm

usairways85 wrote:

Largest Salvadorian community in the Eastern U.S. is in the DC area.
a.

727LOVER

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:33 pm

727LOVER wrote:
No concrete proof, but I'm suspicious about these:

IND
CMH
BUF
BWI
GRR
PIT
PVD

LOL...guess I was wrong :boggled:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

krod031

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:34 pm

I found San Salvador from ONT as well. ONT also got Miami and Guatemala.

ChrisNH38

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:36 pm

This airline is the biggest Here Today, Gone Tomorrow one out there.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

RL757PVD

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:43 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Cruises from Florida are not “highly” seasonal. There are far more than 14/week in the summer. There is a huge market in the summer, as well. And Miami-Boston is an insanely massive local market that is not reliant on cruise ship passengers in the least.

"Summer" there are more, but Late August through September, 14 is not far off. The traffic is definitely up this winter though with even mid week days having 4-5 ships. On some occasions I'll check the cruise port schedule to pick which days I'll walk the dog to the South Pointe dog park.

On a separate note, if F9 did their homework on route planning for once (that's apparently asking a lot) they would see that for markets like SAL GUA and SDQ (assuming they want to feed/funnel through MIA) are some of the strongest ethnic ties for PVD outside of the Azores/Portugal....Theres even a Guatemalan consulate just outside of Providence.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

RDUDDJI

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:27 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

The only blood that will be let is F9's, and I suspect plenty of it if they even try to get to deep into AA's business.

By that same token, AA's frequent flyers on those F9 routes will enjoy the lower prices. At least as long as this lasts.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

OB1504

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:29 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

AA is an operational nightmare right now, plus they’ve just lost their main South American partner and they’re also down a bunch of aircraft because of the 737 MAX grounding. They’re not in as good of a position to fight back as they were two years ago.

usflyer msp

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

Largest Salvadorian community in the Eastern U.S. is in the DC area.

....but mainly in Northern Virginia not Maryland. It's not that far so they will get some traffic but AV from IAD will be a tough competitor.

ScottB

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:42 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
However, I don't know how they make money when one way tickets on 1,300 mile flights sell for $39?

People who don't know how to play the ULCC game get slapped with a ton of fees which turn that $39 fare into $139.

usairways85 wrote:

Not just non-stop, but daily? That's gonna be empty with almost no feed.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Can we change name of thread, this is way more than just MIA?

rph99

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Baltimore/Washington:
Miami and San Juan from April 23
San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL) from June 18
***All three routes operate daily

Miami:
Austin (AUS), Long Island/MacArthur (ISP), Ontario, Santo Domingo (SDQ), and Trenton, New Jersey (TTN) from April 23
Guatemala City (GUA) from May 10
San Salvador from June 18
***All of the routes operate daily except Austin, San Salvador and Trenton on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays; and Guatemala City on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays

Newark:
Cancun (CUN), Santo Domingo, and Tampa (TPA) from March 10
Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Denver (DEN), Ontario, and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) from April 23
Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI) from May 28
***All of the routes operate daily

Ontario:
Las Vegas (LAS) from April 23
Guatemala City from May 10
San Salvador from June 18
***Guatemala City operates on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; Las Vegas daily; and San Salvador Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays

San Juan:
Boston (BOS) and Santo Domingo from April 23
Chicago O’Hare from May 15
***All routes operate daily

FLYKTPA

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:16 pm

ScottB wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
However, I don't know how they make money when one way tickets on 1,300 mile flights sell for $39?

People who don't know how to play the ULCC game get slapped with a ton of fees which turn that $39 fare into $139.

usairways85 wrote:

The DC area has a significant Salvadoran population. I imagine they did their homework lol.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

LightChop2Chop

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:36 pm

is there really traffic on SJU-SDQ?

flymia

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:40 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

Tell that to JetBlue and Spirit who are doing just fine in FLL going after the same traffic. Given the service and "basic" fares on AA there is really not much of a difference between flying AA or F9 in economy. I recently flew Allegiant and was very happy with my ticket price, service and comfort. Purchased an extra legroom seat for $16 each way (36in) and everything was great. For more money I would have gotten 30-31in of leg room, moody FAs and a free soda on AA. AA's FF program is a joke now too. When you have nothing special plenty of people may divert to F9 for better fares. I hope they succeed, the more competition the better. Sure they are not going to get business traffic, but VFR and leisure, plenty of that to go around at good prices.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:41 pm

rph99 wrote:

Newark:
Cancun (CUN), Santo Domingo, and Tampa (TPA) from March 10
Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Denver (DEN), Ontario, and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) from April 23
Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI) from May 28
***All of the routes operate daily

F9 is certainly willing to poke the bear in Newark, trying some UA hub-to-hub routes.

They've got big hopes for Ontario. I don't see it.

many321

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:00 pm

I live around Pomona Valley/Western I.E. area, I'm more than shocked they're starting flights to GUA and SAL from ONT.

I do see small Central American community around the Pomona, Montclair, Chino, Ontario, and Rancho Cucamonga area due to their restaurants copping up around the area. Though, I always thought the populations numbers were too small for them to even consider ONT. Well, I do hope it works out for them.

maps4ltd

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:14 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
ScottB wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:

usairways85 wrote:

The DC area has a significant Salvadoran population. I imagine they did their homework lol.

F9 isn't known for "doing homework."
Delta Gold Medallion

rph99

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Must be nice to bash of F9 so much. God forbid they provide cheap travel options to millions of people who otherwise might struggle to fund a trip because airfare.

Just cause you or your company flies you on Delta - doesn't mean the rest of us have that luxury.

LET THEM BE.

LAX772LR

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm

usairways85 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Do you two have any idea how many Salvadoran people and small businesses are in the WAS area? ...and they're used to paying high prices.

If F9 comes at this the right way, they could easily fill on O&D alone.

"....if."
If instead they try to WN-bumble their way in (i.e. expect the market to adapt to their own way of doing things) then they're going to lose their shirts. So I guess it remains to be seen.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Scarebus34

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:31 pm

The dart board is a live and well!

BGS91762

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:41 pm

I am very excited for all the new routes from ONT. That airport keeps growing. The new international flights will be welcome due to the large Central American community in the eastern areas of greater LA. Guess the success of China Airlines is making other airlines take notice.

many321

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:42 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
ScottB wrote:

F9 isn't known for "doing homework."

Perhaps F9 isn't known for their 'homework' though DC area does have a large Salvadoran population to the extent that AV and Q6 (Volaris Costa Rica) have flights to SAL.

many321

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:45 pm

BGS91762 wrote:
I am very excited for all the new routes from ONT. That airport keeps growing. The new international flights will be welcome due to the large Central American community in the eastern areas of greater LA. Guess the success of China Airlines is making other airlines take notice.

Don't tell that to the naysayers.

But, I have to be frank I'm shocked Frontier is taking a stab at it since TACA was thinking about it a long time ago, and they stopped at the last minute. Let's see if this becomes a success and Avianca tries to do some friendly competition with them.

Though, knowing that Volaris and Frontier have a codeshare. Will these be on Frontier metal or Volaris through their Costa Rica subsidiary.

BGS91762

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:53 pm

LAX is a nightmare for most people especially for those who live eastern parts of LA county and the IE. Those people will really appreciate more options from their preferred airport which is ONT. it’s about time that LA finally gets a real secondary international airport.

tphuang

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Really surprised they were able to add thisany flights to Newark. Are these flights all in the morning?

many321

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:20 pm

BGS91762 wrote:
LAX is a nightmare for most people especially for those who live eastern parts of LA county and the IE. Those people will really appreciate more options from their preferred airport which is ONT. it’s about time that LA finally gets a real secondary international airport.

I agree. The funny thing if nothing health-wise happens, I will be flying out to SAL from LAX this coming April. Seems it will be the last time I fly from LAX with this announcement since I have many family members who do fly to SAL or GUA yearly who live nearby ONT, so this will be welcome news. One of the many problems that we deal with in LAX is the long check-in lines since Avianca god knows why are not willing to put self-service kiosks in their station which makes it an unpleasant experience while Volaris and Delta (when it flew non-stop to SAL) had them, and the service was expedient. I hope ONT does have self-service kiosks to expedite check-in and baggage drop off and be on our way.

FLYKTPA

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:35 pm

So many on here love to bash anything Frontier adds. Just because you don’t agree with or think it won’t work doesn’t make it dartboard. They are willing to take chances on markets they think have the potential to work. Doesn’t work, they cut it and move on like all the other carriers. They have added dozens of routes over the past few years that have stuck and become network staples for them. Some of you seriously act like nothing they add ever works. It’s laughable.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

Redwood839

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Really wish they came back to SJO. MIA would've been good to them.

B6/WN/NK/AA are killing the market at the moment. Their fares have been going higher and higher.

Even NK as a ULCC, it's now well over $300 to fly to FLL from SJO round trip, it used to be less than $150.

Bring the $39 here, I don't care if I have to travel without anything.

I flew from MIA-DEN a few weeks ago, and both were booked to the gills. Seat was perfectly fine for that length.

F9LASDEN

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:02 pm

tphuang wrote:
Really surprised they were able to add thisany flights to Newark. Are these flights all in the morning?

I took a look at their schedule at EWR in 6/17/20 on their website, and it looks like this:

Departures:
-12:47am: STI
-1:39am: SJU
-5:30am: DEN
-5:30am: MCO
-6:00am: DFW
-7:29am: ONT
-7:29am: RDU
-7:59am: SDQ
-10:03am: MIA
-10:45am: CUN
-11:35am: ATL
-11:44am: TPA
-12:19pm: SJU
-12:45pm: MCO
-1:25pm: LAS
-1:29pm: PHX
-1:59pm: MIA
-10:01pm: ORD

Arrivals
-5:49am: LAS
-5:49am: ONT
-6:24am: PHX
-9:08am: MIA
-9:45am: TPA
-10:39am: DFW
-10:44am: SJU
-11:00am: STI
-11:50am: RDU
-12:28pm: MCO
-12:34pm: DEN
-1:04pm: ATL
-9:00pm: SJU
-10:29pm: ORD
-11:07pm: MIA
-11:59pm: CUN
-11:59pm: SDQ
-12:59am (+1): MCO
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

Janj

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:19 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:

JetBlue is at 4x daily on E190s with no competition. At some point there were A320s on the route but they've cut back on some SJU flying (especially intra-Caribbean), so that might be related.

rph99

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Redwood839 wrote:

B6/WN/NK/AA are killing the market at the moment. Their fares have been going higher and higher.

Even NK as a ULCC, it's now well over $300 to fly to FLL from SJO round trip, it used to be less than $150.

I flew from MIA-DEN a few weeks ago, and both were booked to the gills. Seat was perfectly fine for that length.

Agreed - surprised to see these adds over SJO. I used to take F9's DEN-SJO red eye flight when traveling to Costa Rica and I remember a gate agent telling me the flight was booked solid every night (obviously that doesn't necessarily mean it was financially viable - but the demand was certainly there).

stl07

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:27 pm

rph99 wrote:
Must be nice to bash of F9 so much. God forbid they provide cheap travel options to millions of people who otherwise might struggle to fund a trip because airfare.

Just cause you or your company flies you on Delta - doesn't mean the rest of us have that luxury.

LET THEM BE.

F9 isn't bashed for low fares, they are just hated by a.netters because they drop routes after one season, which a.netters can't understand why. If it was just the cheap fares, then NK and SY would be bashed as well
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

rph99

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:38 pm

stl07 wrote:
rph99 wrote:

LET THEM BE.

F9 isn't bashed for low fares, they are just hated by a.netters because they drop routes after one season, which a.netters can't understand why. If it was just the cheap fares, then NK and SY would be bashed as well

if that business model allows for them to have low fares - let them be. I cant imagine a majority of their travelers rely on the ability to constantly fly these routes. I actually like the random routes - it's like a limited time offer to check out a new destination for cheap. (maybe they should advertise some of the routes that way). "Fly It While It Lasts"

jplatts

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:53 pm

stl07 wrote:
F9 isn't bashed for low fares, they are just hated by a.netters because they drop routes after one season, which a.netters can't understand why.

WN has also dropped some routes in recent years, but most of these cuts by WN have either been due to the loss of slots at SNA or the plane shortage that WN is currently facing as a result of the 737 MAX grounding.

On the other hand, there were some F9 dartboard nonstop routes not to or from slot-restricted airports that probably were doing okay for F9 and that probably should not have been dropped by F9.

a318

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Doesn’t F9 already fly ISP-PBI/FLL? So now they will fly ISP-PBI/FLL/MIA? Guess they’re doing well in South Florida to be adding all three.

usdcaguy

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Can’t believe they aren’t doing MIA-AUS/TTN on Sundays. Makes it impossible for those from those cities to do weekend trips to MIA. Sundays are one of MIA’s busiest days, so they’ll be missing out on revenue. It’s great to some expansion from ONT, though. ONT-ATL would be more than welcome someday.

avi8

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Does anyone know why GUA-ONT/MIA start out as daily and then turn to 4x weekly a month after the flights start? That’s what the official Frontier announcement says.
avi8

uconn99

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:03 am

Fex180 wrote:
Weird time of year to be announcing MIA routes. If they were doing this in July / August, I would imagine a ton of winter seasonal routes to PVD, BUF, BTV, PWM, ALB ect.

BDL-PVD was announced in July, not sure about BOS.

Iggy500

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:45 pm

With F9's addition of ORD-SJU, 3 airlines will operate this route. Still can't believe B6 threw the towel on that route and gave up.

OB1504

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:14 pm

a318 wrote:
Doesn’t F9 already fly ISP-PBI/FLL? So now they will fly ISP-PBI/FLL/MIA? Guess they’re doing well in South Florida to be adding all three.

Another poster mentioned that the FLL routes were apparently being transferred to MIA and F9 was closing FLL again.

mugler

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:20 pm

a318 wrote:

They flew MIA-ISP back on 2017 and I think they had 2 daily flights IIRC. They also flew TTN-MIA 4 times a week so these are definitely not new routes.

MIflyer12

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:38 pm

rph99 wrote:
if that business model allows for them to have low fares - let them be. I cant imagine a majority of their travelers rely on the ability to constantly fly these routes. I actually like the random routes - it's like a limited time offer to check out a new destination for cheap. (maybe they should advertise some of the routes that way). "Fly It While It Lasts"

I'm happy for the price competition they bring to specific airport pairs. I'm less happy with low frequency, less than daily, and lousy ops performance.

I think most people here - NOT those just looking for something to complain about - understand that some new routes fail. AA's PHL-Bologna didn't work. Cut it and move on. But I think you would struggle to explain how Frontier's 'throw it against the wall and see if it sticks' model can be rationalized as efficient network planning.

vetjetatl

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Iggy500 wrote:
With F9's addition of ORD-SJU, 3 airlines will operate this route. Still can't believe B6 threw the towel on that route and gave up.

I think SW and AA are serving their hubs, so the route is mainly for connecting passengers (even though there's a large puertorican population in Chicago)

303dk

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:

Are you kidding?

JetBlue flies it 4x daily, Sky High Dominicana 3x weekly, and Air Century to La Isabela

Redwood839

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:47 pm

rph99 wrote:
Redwood839 wrote:

Agreed - surprised to see these adds over SJO. I used to take F9's DEN-SJO red eye flight when traveling to Costa Rica and I remember a gate agent telling me the flight was booked solid every night (obviously that doesn't necessarily mean it was financially viable - but the demand was certainly there).

Same here, I used to take the DEN-SJO flight all the time. My love for Colorado and Wyoming was fueled by Frontier.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:51 pm

a318 wrote:

Is WN eventually going to give up on ISP I wonder? PBI/FLL/MCO really the biggest reason the station is still open.

Good to see F9 ramping up MIA in general. A lot of these routes should do well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos