Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
720B
Topic Author
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 am

Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:41 am

As per Sam Chui's website, Airbus has delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens; following certification in November

https://samchui.com/2019/12/19/airbus-d ... fthl0dKhPZ

There is a cool video on youtube about it, also

https://youtu.be/Xyctm0as-Eg
 
Noshow
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:53 am

I see glass cleaning fluid will be the product of the future.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9718
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:45 pm

They need to work on the hardware/software. That looks so laggy that it’s painful even to look at.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10274
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:10 pm

SO, when I'm wet or SWEATY my phone doesn't work because it can't recognize my fingers. Given that there could never be anything stressful enough while flying a plane to create sweat <eye roll> was this considered?
 
LabQuest
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I absolutely hate this trend in cars and aircraft.

It makes driving especially dangerous. You have to take your eyes off the road just to change the volume or fan speed.
 
xwb565
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:22 pm

It is only a interface option for the efb type information. You can still use the other input methods when touch screen use is not suitable.
 
User avatar
afterburner
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:38 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:30 pm

The feature does not replace the existing keyboard-cursor control unit. In aviation safety, redundancy is very important.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5413
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Pretty cool feature, and to be honest quite handy, as you sometimes get the natural urge to interact with that screen with your fingers rather than the KCCU, especially if you already are using a tablet device on the side.
The only thing is that these screens will become disgusting after a couple of flights and will need to be cleaned constantly. Under the right light conditions, the finger smudges can make the screens illegible. I hope they come with truckloads of specially formulated and ready to use cleaning wipes that the crew can bring along.

As for the software on it, well, that is entirely dependent on what EFB solution (laptop+software) the operator is using, I suspect some will be smoother to use than others. The real benefit of this will be to tap on menus and pinch to zoom, not so much dragging windows or scrolling.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
Airbuser
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Pretty cool but it’s overkill. Basically a large IPAD. An added expense that most airlines will not order. Easier to keep IPad up to date and you can take it with you.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9718
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Francoflier wrote:
As for the software on it, well, that is entirely dependent on what EFB solution (laptop+software) the operator is using, I suspect some will be smoother to use than others. The real benefit of this will be to tap on menus and pinch to zoom, not so much dragging windows or scrolling.


I can see it’s the Jeppesen EFB. It’s much smoother on my iPad, so I suspect the hardware needs an upgrade or maybe the OS running the software or both.

Also, we use a Surface Pro in the flight deck below the side windows with the Jeppesen software and that too runs a lot smoother
Last edited by AirPacific747 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
spdbrd007
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 3:41 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:58 pm

enilria wrote:
SO, when I'm wet or SWEATY my phone doesn't work because it can't recognize my fingers. Given that there could never be anything stressful enough while flying a plane to create sweat <eye roll> was this considered?


Actually you are the first person to ever think if this issue. Come this way, as we have a new job for you at Airbus.

Have people forgotten how important redundancy is in this industry?
 
aumaverick
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:40 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:58 pm

Anyone? Anyone else? Just me?

Image
I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch
 
seb76
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Last time I tried to clean the touchscreen of my convertible laptop with Windows up and running, I found many of my files in the Recycle Bin ... Just sayin'

But indeed it looks convenient and of course, like many of us I like hard buttons for any important feature since you can feel what you are doing while you keep doing the more important thing, but an A350 is not a Tesla, those touchscreens won't replace the side sticks and gear levers ;-)
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:18 pm

It's important to know that this is a redundant system.

It's optional to use it.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15147
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:48 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
I can see it’s the Jeppesen EFB. It’s much smoother on my iPad, so I suspect the hardware needs an upgrade or maybe the OS running the software or both.

Also, we use a Surface Pro in the flight deck below the side windows with the Jeppesen software and that too runs a lot smoother


The screen is an external monitor for a device, that device can be anything from a laptop, surface, Mac book.

The inputs to the device be it the keyboard on the table, kccu, or touchscreen is just a usb pointer/keyboard.

It’s very hardware and software independent.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9718
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:56 pm

zeke wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
I can see it’s the Jeppesen EFB. It’s much smoother on my iPad, so I suspect the hardware needs an upgrade or maybe the OS running the software or both.

Also, we use a Surface Pro in the flight deck below the side windows with the Jeppesen software and that too runs a lot smoother


The screen is an external monitor for a device, that device can be anything from a laptop, surface, Mac book.

The inputs to the device be it the keyboard on the table, kccu, or touchscreen is just a usb pointer/keyboard.

It’s very hardware and software independent.


But the end result in this case is in my opinion unacceptable. Too laggy.
 
thepinkmachine
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:57 pm

What’s the fuss all about? 787 EFB has been a touch screen since EIS, so this is hardly innovative...
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15147
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:59 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
But the end result in this case is in my opinion unacceptable. Too laggy.


If the airline feels that way they can just put a faster laptop onboard. That choice is independent of the aircraft, it is not something you need to buy from Airbus.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15147
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:01 pm

thepinkmachine wrote:
What’s the fuss all about? 787 EFB has been a touch screen since EIS, so this is hardly innovative...


I agree, nothing new to aviation. I don’t think it is actually new to the A350 either, it was an option available that we could have had from the outset.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
speedbird52
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:08 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
As for the software on it, well, that is entirely dependent on what EFB solution (laptop+software) the operator is using, I suspect some will be smoother to use than others. The real benefit of this will be to tap on menus and pinch to zoom, not so much dragging windows or scrolling.


I can see it’s the Jeppesen EFB. It’s much smoother on my iPad, so I suspect the hardware needs an upgrade or maybe the OS running the software or both.

Also, we use a Surface Pro in the flight deck below the side windows with the Jeppesen software and that too runs a lot smoother

Slightly to very off topic, but I really wish ForeFlight was available on the Surface Pro. It would have allowed me to just have one mobile device instead of an iPad and a laptop
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 2992
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Very laggy it looks like to me, pointless option right now it seems.
 
kabq737
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:09 pm

A few months ago I started flying with a touchscreen cockpit.

It’s no big deal like people love to say it is. A well designed GUI is a pleasure to use and I have no issue with it. I’ve flown through some pretty heavy turbulence with it and found that as long as you put a few fingers on the panel around your pointing finger for stability it’s not really an issue.

I’ve definitely been satisfied.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5413
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:17 pm

kabq737 wrote:
A few months ago I started flying with a touchscreen cockpit.

It’s no big deal like people love to say it is. A well designed GUI is a pleasure to use and I have no issue with it. I’ve flown through some pretty heavy turbulence with it and found that as long as you put a few fingers on the panel around your pointing finger for stability it’s not really an issue.

I’ve definitely been satisfied.


Any issues with smudges or otherwise dirty screens? Can you clean them?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
mhockey31091
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:05 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Not a bad idea, everyone in the cockpit already touches the damn things anyways. On a real note, I'm curious how well it will work on a large scale where many, many people use them frequently and leave them all dirty. I understand that the 787 already has them but not nearly as many screens as this.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:31 pm

xwb565 wrote:
It is only a interface option for the efb type information. You can still use the other input methods when touch screen use is not suitable.


Thank goodness. I have a touch screen GPS nav on the panel in my plane, as well as an iPad running ForeFlight. Good luck using the touchscreen interface in turbulence.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9718
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:34 pm

zeke wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
But the end result in this case is in my opinion unacceptable. Too laggy.


If the airline feels that way they can just put a faster laptop onboard. That choice is independent of the aircraft, it is not something you need to buy from Airbus.


I never blamed Airbus, you can relax now :)
 
chrisair
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2000 11:32 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:24 pm

mhockey31091 wrote:
Not a bad idea, everyone in the cockpit already touches the damn things anyways. On a real note, I'm curious how well it will work on a large scale where many, many people use them frequently and leave them all dirty. I understand that the 787 already has them but not nearly as many screens as this.


Ok so this brings up a question I've always had. Why are there always fingerprint smudges on the NDs on 737s and A320s? I've never been able to figure that out.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10274
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:09 pm

spdbrd007 wrote:
enilria wrote:
SO, when I'm wet or SWEATY my phone doesn't work because it can't recognize my fingers. Given that there could never be anything stressful enough while flying a plane to create sweat <eye roll> was this considered?


Actually you are the first person to ever think if this issue. Come this way, as we have a new job for you at Airbus.

Have people forgotten how important redundancy is in this industry?

Apparently nobody at Apple has.
 
itisi
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:20 am

zeke wrote:
thepinkmachine wrote:
What’s the fuss all about? 787 EFB has been a touch screen since EIS, so this is hardly innovative...


I agree, nothing new to aviation. I don’t think it is actually new to the A350 either, it was an option available that we could have had from the outset.


Sam chui says its news, how dare you question the lord :wave:
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:23 am

This has already been in use with the Garmin G3000 and G5000 in business jets for years.

It's a PITA in turbulence.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
Elementalism
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:41 am

LabQuest wrote:
I absolutely hate this trend in cars and aircraft.

It makes driving especially dangerous. You have to take your eyes off the road just to change the volume or fan speed.


Some newer cars have a lot of the touch screen features programmable for the buttons on the steering wheel.
 
kabq737
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:12 am

Francoflier wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
A few months ago I started flying with a touchscreen cockpit.

It’s no big deal like people love to say it is. A well designed GUI is a pleasure to use and I have no issue with it. I’ve flown through some pretty heavy turbulence with it and found that as long as you put a few fingers on the panel around your pointing finger for stability it’s not really an issue.

I’ve definitely been satisfied.


Any issues with smudges or otherwise dirty screens? Can you clean them?


Sometimes they get smudged if route changes etc. have to be programmed while eating but they can easily be cleaned. It is important to clean them with the proper technique so as not to remove the anti glare coating on them. The equipment I use is made by Garmin but I can’t imagine these things would vary much from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
 
airzona11
Posts: 1773
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:46 am

enilria wrote:
spdbrd007 wrote:
enilria wrote:
SO, when I'm wet or SWEATY my phone doesn't work because it can't recognize my fingers. Given that there could never be anything stressful enough while flying a plane to create sweat <eye roll> was this considered?


Actually you are the first person to ever think if this issue. Come this way, as we have a new job for you at Airbus.

Have people forgotten how important redundancy is in this industry?

Apparently nobody at Apple has.

Apple makes airplanes?
 
Flaps
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:48 am

Did this one have the self ejecting overhead bin option in addition to the touchscreen cockpit displays?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 13487
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:59 am

spdbrd007 wrote:
enilria wrote:
SO, when I'm wet or SWEATY my phone doesn't work because it can't recognize my fingers. Given that there could never be anything stressful enough while flying a plane to create sweat <eye roll> was this considered?


Actually you are the first person to ever think if this issue. Come this way, as we have a new job for you at Airbus.

Have people forgotten how important redundancy is in this industry?


Its a non issue as they use resistive touch, which doesn't care if your fingers are wet or if you are using gloves.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
SteelChair
Posts: 1437
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:37 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Ergonomics look horrible. Imagine leaning over that far to try to touch the screens in turbulence.
 
T4thH
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Flaps wrote:
Did this one have the self ejecting overhead bin option in addition to the touchscreen cockpit displays?

No, as this is a LATAM technicians specific upgrade.
 
thepinkmachine
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:40 pm

As I understand, you may either use your fingers, or the KCCU (the mouse), whichever’s most comfortable.

I think the touchscreen is a good thing as an add on, but not as a stand-alone method of input.
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15147
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:57 pm

thepinkmachine wrote:
As I understand, you may either use your fingers, or the KCCU (the mouse), whichever’s most comfortable.

I think the touchscreen is a good as an add on, but not as a stand-alone method of input.


There is two pointers, the kccu and a trackpad on the keyboard.

The most useful thing I see for touchscreen is switching charts like from star to approach to taxi.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5413
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:59 pm

kabq737 wrote:
Sometimes they get smudged if route changes etc. have to be programmed while eating but they can easily be cleaned. It is important to clean them with the proper technique so as not to remove the anti glare coating on them. The equipment I use is made by Garmin but I can’t imagine these things would vary much from manufacturer to manufacturer.
SteelChair wrote:
Ergonomics look horrible. Imagine leaning over that far to try to touch the screens in turbulence.


Thanks. Do they you clean them or is it a maintenance job?

SteelChair wrote:
Ergonomics look horrible. Imagine leaning over that far to try to touch the screens in turbulence.


That's when you use the KCCU... The touch functionality is an added feature, as repeated several times already, which facilitates and speeds up certain operations with that screen. It basically gives the operator more options to interact with it, which is good.
When the seat is in proper flying position, he screen is not that far that you have to lean forward uncomfortably to reach it.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
enzo011
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:12 am

Re: Airbus delivered the first A350 with cockpit touchscreens

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:18 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Ergonomics look horrible. Imagine leaning over that far to try to touch the screens in turbulence.


Surely if there is turbulence and it will make using the touchscreen difficult to use they will just use the system as they used to before this option became available?

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos