Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PB26
Topic Author

Rumor: Azul resuming NYC next year

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:53 pm

Azul has plans to resume a new internacional city next year.

Only in portuguese:
https://www.mercadoeeventos.com.br/noti ... para-2020/

Rumors are VCP-NYC in May 2020, pending with airline they will have agreement: UA ir B6.

In 2014, the company announced NYC, but the brazilian economic downturn made AD cancel its plans.

Few weeks ago, Azul was one of proposed bidders tô take Aigle Azur's ORY slots.
Rio and all South America by Panair do Brasil’s jets.

incitatus

Re: Rumor: Azul resuming NYC next year

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Azul has a formidable network out of VCP. If they do VCP-EWR, they will create a lot of interesting routings to serve secondary Brazil to the USA and beyond.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

airbazar

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:01 pm

incitatus wrote:
Azul has a formidable network out of VCP. If they do VCP-EWR, they will create a lot of interesting routings to serve secondary Brazil to the USA and beyond.

Too far south. Not saying there aren't some connections at VCP but the route overflies 90% of the country, requiring some backtracking. There's probably enough demand for O&D alone tho.

FSDan

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:04 pm

airbazar wrote:
incitatus wrote:

Too far south. Not saying there aren't some connections at VCP but the route overflies 90% of the country, requiring some backtracking. There's probably enough demand for O&D alone tho.

It might overfly 90% of the country geographically, but what about population-wise? Connections from the U.S. to CNF, RIO, POA, CWB, etc., even BSB wouldn't require much backtracking. Those reasonable connections plus the local(ish) SAO market probably account for 90% of the demand.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

EBS1975

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:08 pm

Guys, VCP is VIRACOPOS airport, located in the city of Campinas, some 100km or 60 miles from Sao Paulo.
VCP is to GRU what EWR is for JFK !
Viracopos is Azul's main hub with hundreds for daily flights including those to FLL, MCO and LIS, so I don't understand why they cannot fly to New York !

ojjunior

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:42 pm

FSDan wrote:
airbazar wrote:
incitatus wrote:

It might overfly 90% of the country geographically, but what about population-wise? Connections from the U.S. to CNF, RIO, POA, CWB, etc., even BSB wouldn't require much backtracking. Those reasonable connections plus the local(ish) SAO market probably account for 90% of the demand.

You folks realize that EWR-VCP is closer than EWR-GRU, right?
If prices are right I see absolutely no problems for anyone to connect in/out via VCP to anywhere in Brazil instead using that old and outdated bus station which is GRU and flying with G3 or LA.
Add to this the tremendously superior service from AD than from any other airline in domestic market in BR and anyone looking for service and price will queue in the line for flying AD.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:44 pm

Considering Neeleman's connection...Moxy?

rbavfan

Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:32 am

EBS1975 wrote:
Guys, VCP is VIRACOPOS airport, located in the city of Campinas, some 100km or 60 miles from Sao Paulo.
Viracopos is Azul's main hub with hundreds for daily flights including those to FLL, MCO and LIS, so I don't understand why they cannot fly to New York !

JFK-EWR is only 21 miles apart by air. VCP-GRU is 51miles apart by air. More than double & quite a difference when driving as well for some. Me I drive that far several times a week.

tphuang

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 am

I think they will do JFK.

airbazar

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:43 pm

EBS1975 wrote:

That analogy is completely wrong because, a) EWR is actually closer to Manhattan than JFK, and b) In no way is EWR a secondary, fringe airport to NYC.
There really is no similar situation in the U.S. that I can think of. A better analogy would be to say that VCP is to GRU what STN is to LHR.

flyby519

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:45 pm

airbazar wrote:
EBS1975 wrote:

That analogy is completely wrong because, a) EWR is actually closer to Manhattan than JFK, and b) In no way is EWR a secondary, fringe airport to NYC.

Let’s get ready to ruuummmmmbbblleeeeee! :bouncy:

Nicknuzzii

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:52 pm

tphuang wrote:

Why? I think it would make more sense for them to connect with UA at EWR, TP also has a larger presence at EWR compared to JFK.

solracfunk14

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:29 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Why? I think it would make more sense for them to connect with UA at EWR, TP also has a larger presence at EWR compared to JFK.

But would compete directly with GRU-EWR from United.

If wasn't by that, EWR would be obvious

By the way that article explains more: https://www.aeroin.net/azul-pode-voar-p ... oximo-ano/

Nicknuzzii

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:12 am

solracfunk14 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
tphuang wrote:

By the way that article explains more: https://www.aeroin.net/azul-pode-voar-p ... oximo-ano/

Yes it’s going to be interesting. Everything B6 provides for Azul at JFK is already available to them via FLL. UA offers much more from EWR along with TP having a larger presence.

dfwjim1

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:22 am

Perhaps a better choice for Azul would be Boston with its large Brazilian population and no flights to the Sao Paulo area.

Polot

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:22 pm

solracfunk14 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Of course UA and Azul, along with Copa and Avianca, have talked about forming a joint venture, although they haven’t filed for one yet...

kokpedro

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:31 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Perhaps a better choice for Azul would be Boston with its large Brazilian population and no flights to the Sao Paulo area.

LATAM flies 5x weekly GRU-BOS with a 767.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Polot wrote:
solracfunk14 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Of course UA and Azul, along with Copa and Avianca, have talked about forming a joint venture, although they haven’t filed for one yet...

It may not have been filed yet, but they do sound quite serious about it and do plan on getting it done soon.

luckyone

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:36 pm

airbazar wrote:
incitatus wrote:

Too far south for whom? I’m sure you’re well aware that the bulk of Brazil’s wealth is concentrated in the south—compare the number of flights out of the Northeastern cities to the large cities in the south to the US. They run free shuttles to several points in Sao Paolo from Viracopos, which negates the distance.

Galwayman

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:00 pm

São Paulo is such a mega city, VCP to NYC will work fine ... fares are sometimes 3 times as expensive as SÃO > Europe

bravotango75

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Need them here in BOS, huge Brazilian population here as well as Portuguese and Cape Verde. A winning route for Azul...

incitatus

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:21 pm

airbazar wrote:

We can all quote all favorite statistic. 90% of the country, 65% of the population. But when you look at the Brazilian economy, Rio, SP and the South are well over half of it. Then there is a cluster of industry and services around Rio and SP that are heavy users of long-haul travel.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

Nicknuzzii

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:07 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
Need them here in BOS, huge Brazilian population here as well as Portuguese and Cape Verde. A winning route for Azul...

BOS has a fraction of the international traffic NYC has. I don’t see that route working for a day.

MIflyer12

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

BOS has a fraction of the international traffic NYC has. I don’t see that route working for a day.

Composition of the population matters, as do specific business ties, not just population size or volume of international traffic. BOS serves some international routes that NYC does not - and the same is true of YUL.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:51 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

Composition of the population matters, as do specific business ties, not just population size or volume of international traffic. BOS serves some international routes that NYC does not - and the same is true of YUL.

There is a reason TAP is going 3x daily to EWR while only being less than 2x daily from BOS. It is called demand, BOS doesn’t have it. This thread is not about BOS for a reason, so please keep it that way.

adamh8297

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

There is a reason TAP is going 3x daily to EWR while only being less than 2x daily from BOS. It is called demand, BOS doesn’t have it. This thread is not about BOS for a reason, so please keep it that way.

Azul needs expand to NYC before anything else.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

MaRoFu

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:35 am

Another possible factor that might sway them to pick EWR is the Ironbound district in Newark. Lots of Portuguese, Brazilians, and other Lusophone immigrants living there.
Airports I have been to:
DFW, EWR, IAH, JFK, LAS, LGA, MCO, MIA, NRT, ORD, PHL, PHX, SEA, SLC, YTZ, YYZ

Rossiya747

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:40 am

Azul codeshares with UA, so EWR could be possible.
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL

jetbluefan1

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:53 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
solracfunk14 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Yes it’s going to be interesting. Everything B6 provides for Azul at JFK is already available to them via FLL. UA offers much more from EWR along with TP having a larger presence.

While there is some overlap, there are some markets that are served from JFK but not FLL (like ROC, SYR, BTV, DEN, SEA, SMF). Some are more logical connecting markets than others of course, but there is certainly some feed potential. TP also already operates out of B6’s T5 at JFK so it isn’t far fetched to see Azul take a similar approach.

That said, doesn’t UA have a stake in Azul? That alone seems like reason enough to choose EWR and plug into the UA network.

EarlyLateORD

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:15 am

A few notes on the above thread:

AZUL does a better job at capturing Brazilian POS than the American carriers, except for perhaps American. They also tend to have a lower cost base and can capture VFR traffic that might find UA/DL unaffordable.

Boston and NYC/EWR have very different Portuguese demand.

BOS has a large Azorean community, this is served well already. The Brazilian traffic if mostly VFR. These travelers would easily take B6 to EWR or Amtrak.

NYC Business focused as well as wealthier Brazilian on vacation

EWR Large Portuguese community from Portugal established after the Carnation revolution. Over time it has absorbed other Lusophone immigrants.

VCP serves all of the major markets in Brazil well, Brazil is a large country, but is essentially two societies. For example when Carrefour installs stores in the North of Brazil they use store models tested in Africa in Southern Brazil they use floorplans and stock based on their Euro floorplan. The Brazilian north was a planation/slave based societies that failed to build wealth much like the American South pre-Civil War. Southern Brazil absorbed multitudes of immigrants from Europe and developed on a family farm model that managed to accumulate wealth and political power, much like the American North and Northeast.

Adam

DuraLexSedLex

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:45 am

Azul must run if it wants to establish itself as a strong player in the NYC-SAO market. Bear in mind that once the DL-LA JV is approved, they will be strong in terms of POS and connections at both ends. Differently from AA, DL is expanding at JFK.

Cheers!

VC10er

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:39 am

The United EWR to GRU then connecting on Azul (sometimes other airlines) to SDU is a great option over terminating at GIG - especially if you’re headed downtown or to the Zona Sul section of Rio.

“IF” EWR to VCP then Azul to CGH was scheduled: man I’d do that in a nano second over landing at 7am at GRU then face a 2-3 hour drive (in traffic) to downtown São Paulo!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

oneskyjet

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:11 am

This thread is incorrectly labeled. VCP-NYC would be a new market, not a resumption.

Regardless, will be a welcome addition.

dfwjim1

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:35 am

oneskyjet wrote:
This thread is incorrectly labeled. VCP-NYC would be a new market, not a resumption.

VCP would be a resumption as AZUL used to fly to NYC.

abrelosojos

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:13 pm

I heard it will be VCP-JFK with a red eye in each direction.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:03 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
I heard it will be VCP-JFK with a red eye in each direction.

Saludos,
Alex

Thanks! Where did you hear this?

solracfunk14

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:08 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
oneskyjet wrote:

Negative sir, we never flew to New York City, Big Apple or Something above Florida. You're make confusion with another blue belly from the same owner or the another one who died years ago.

Remember: Azul it's just 11 years young, started international flights few years ago.

gatibosgru

Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:07 am

bravotango75 wrote:

Don't think the Portuguese and Cape Verdeans would help fill up a flight from BOS to VCP, but it would be a nice addition to BOS.
@DadCelo

Elgorou

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:47 pm

solracfunk14 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
oneskyjet wrote:

Negative sir, we never flew to New York City, Big Apple or Something above Florida. You're make confusion with another blue belly from the same owner or the another one who died years ago.

Remember: Azul it's just 11 years young, started international flights few years ago.

AA fly JFK-VCP for 2014-2015 with B767

solracfunk14

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Elgorou wrote:
solracfunk14 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

AA fly JFK-VCP for 2014-2015 with B767

Yes, American Airlines, not Azul:

dfwjim1 wrote:

solracfunk14

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Now it's official, Azul will start flying next June to JFK: http://www.aeroin.net/azul-ira-voar-nov ... -campinas/

AF086

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 pm

The schedule favours higher yielding passengers:

AD8700 - VCP 2030 0530+1 JFK - 332 - D
AD8701 - JFK 2330 1030+1 VCP - 332 - D

EFF 15/06

Given that Azul codeshares with Jetblue in Florida, it is reasonable to assume that it will be the same at JFK and, because of that, it is also safe to assume that they will use Terminal 5.
Please insert a "smart" joke here.

744lover

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Wow... that's a huge underutilization of this airplane. Siting in JFK for 18 hours seems pretty long...

Polot

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:20 pm

744lover wrote:
Wow... that's a huge underutilization of this airplane. Siting in JFK for 18 hours seems pretty long...

Pretty standard for US-South America (although this on the longer side- Azul was probably limited in what departure slots they could get). Red eyes are the popular flight times for business travel. The US carriers all usually have their planes sitting around all day in Brazil (and Chile, Argentina, etc) for their flights, and the South American carriers have their planes sitting around all day in the US.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos