Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JAMBOJET

Re: AA sues DL over the use of the term “Flagship”

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:16 am

Whatever happened with this lawsuit?
I assume Delta settled out of court or backed off but I have no idea.

Delta717

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:29 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:

Quick dummy booking shows A359 routes advertised as “Flagship A350,” so while it seems like DL added further clarification, the word “Flagship” is still present.

Prost

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:03 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:

The industry found something else to grab their attention.

Boston757

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:17 pm

I wonder why in the world Delta would want anything in name ect to do with Americans. They have such distain got AAL and it’s employees.

VS11

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:28 pm

Boston757 wrote:
I wonder why in the world Delta would want anything in name ect to do with Americans. They have such distain got AAL and it’s employees.

Because DL likes to copy others a lot...not the first time...Song anyone?

alfa164

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:42 pm

VS11 wrote:
Boston757 wrote:

Yeah... I guess somewhere there must be some "Melody Airlines" complaining about that...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:57 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:

If Delta is still using it, it means AA failed in an attempt to get an injunction, and has not prevailed in court. Maybe it hasn't yet proceeded to trial; maybe AA withdrew its complaint.

TYWoolman

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:03 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:

Most likely Delta using "Flagship" modifying aircraft type "A350" and not an implied "international service" greatly weakens American's case.

StTim

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:06 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

If Delta is still using it, it means AA failed in an attempt to get an injunction, and has not prevailed in court. Maybe it hasn't yet proceeded to trial; maybe AA withdrew its complaint.

I know American law is different but I am sure under English law you cannot trademark etc a word in common usage.

scbriml

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:35 pm

VS11 wrote:
Boston757 wrote:

What, by using a word for its intended meaning?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

VS11

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm

scbriml wrote:
VS11 wrote:
Boston757 wrote:

No. The entire concept for Song was just copying jetBlue at the time.

scbriml

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm

VS11 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
VS11 wrote:

I’m not talking about song. You said DL likes to copy others and the thread is about DL’s use of the term ‘flagship’.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BoardMember

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:59 pm

Boston757 wrote:

Because the average passenger could care less.

sjones1975

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:18 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:

Litigation takes a long time to resolve, unless the parties settle the case out of court. I just checked the docket for the case; it's still ongoing. In a scheduling order from April 2020, the judge set the date for parties to file dispositive motions (where they ask the judge to rule in their favor without a trial) as November 16, 2020. The judge set a mediation date of September 3, 2020 (can the parties come to an agreement themselves over the use of “Flagship”??), and a trial date (should a trial be needed) of February 8, 2021.

The latest filing in the case was on June 12, 2020, with AA’s high-power New York lawyers (from the firm of Latham & Watkins) applying for permission to participate in the litigation that is occurring in the Northern District of Texas federal court.
my longest flight in a 757: FRU-ADA-SNN-BWI

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 pm

AA should have trademarked the term FlAAgship. Just like AAdvantage, TrAAins, etc.

VS11

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:10 pm

scbriml wrote:
VS11 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

I’m not talking about song. You said DL likes to copy others and the thread is about DL’s use of the term ‘flagship’.

DL copies other airlines' products, strategies and trademarks in this case.

JAMBOJET

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:49 pm

sjones1975 wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

Litigation takes a long time to resolve, unless the parties settle the case out of court. I just checked the docket for the case; it's still ongoing. In a scheduling order from April 2020, the judge set the date for parties to file dispositive motions (where they ask the judge to rule in their favor without a trial) as November 16, 2020. The judge set a mediation date of September 3, 2020 (can the parties come to an agreement themselves over the use of “Flagship”??), and a trial date (should a trial be needed) of February 8, 2021.

The latest filing in the case was on June 12, 2020, with AA’s high-power New York lawyers (from the firm of Latham & Watkins) applying for permission to participate in the litigation that is occurring in the Northern District of Texas federal court.

Interesting! Thanks for the update.

Flflyer83

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 pm

VS11 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
VS11 wrote:

And JetBlue was copying WN. So.... probably not a good example.

washingtonflyer

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

Most likely Delta using "Flagship" modifying aircraft type "A350" and not an implied "international service" greatly weakens American's case.

Nice assumptions, but wrong. Litigation is proceeding, but like all litigation, the process has slowed down owing to COVID. Courts have been giving liberal extensions on things like discovery because its challenging to physically review documents and conduct meetings in person with this beastie running around. Trial is -currently- set for early next February (after being kicked back from November). There have been NO dispositive motions and NO motions to dismiss. Some aren't due until later this fall.

-------------->
AMENDED SCHEDULING ORDER: This case is set for trial on this Court's four-week docket beginning February 8, 2021. Counsel and the parties shall be ready for trial on two days' notice at any time during this four-week period. Joinder of Parties due by 7/10/2020. Amended Pleadings due by 7/10/2020. Motions due by 11/16/2020. Deadline for mediation is on or before 9/3/2020. Discovery due by 9/17/2020. Pretrial Order due by 1/12/2021. (Ordered by Judge Reed C. O'Connor on 4/24/2020) (pef) (Entered: 04/24/2020)

TYWoolman

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:25 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

Nice assumptions, but wrong. Litigation is proceeding, but like all litigation, the process has slowed down owing to COVID. Courts have been giving liberal extensions on things like discovery because its challenging to physically review documents and conduct meetings in person with this beastie running around. Trial is -currently- set for early next February (after being kicked back from November). There have been NO dispositive motions and NO motions to dismiss. Some aren't due until later this fall.

-------------->
AMENDED SCHEDULING ORDER: This case is set for trial on this Court's four-week docket beginning February 8, 2021. Counsel and the parties shall be ready for trial on two days' notice at any time during this four-week period. Joinder of Parties due by 7/10/2020. Amended Pleadings due by 7/10/2020. Motions due by 11/16/2020. Deadline for mediation is on or before 9/3/2020. Discovery due by 9/17/2020. Pretrial Order due by 1/12/2021. (Ordered by Judge Reed C. O'Connor on 4/24/2020) (pef) (Entered: 04/24/2020)

Thanks for that detailed response and hopefully you intend to directly reply to OP whose question your response will address. Nonetheless, IMO, American's case on an on-going attempt to ban Delta's use of the word is greaty diminished when Delta changed its use of Flagship to modify an aircraft type, especially when American doesn't fly the A350.

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:52 pm

I took the callsign "FLAGSHIP" for Dolphin Airways back in 1981. It later was again applied to Express Airlines I as the ATC callsign. Over all of these years, American Airlines never challenged the use of their old trademark. It would seem a weak argument to complain now. Of course, if they would return to the markings and trademarks from prior to 1963 or so, I am sure many airline enthusiasts would be happy and a Judge might uphold their complaint.

cvsirls

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:30 pm

VS11 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
VS11 wrote:

Litterally has nothing to do with anything this thread is talking about.
To be fair, I think most can say that the other 2 US carrier airlines have been copying after delta a lot recently.
Either way...... WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!! It's called competition! Everybody in the whole industry copies off of each other!

VS11

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:42 pm

cvsirls wrote:
VS11 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Litterally has nothing to do with anything this thread is talking about.
To be fair, I think most can say that the other 2 US carrier airlines have been copying after delta a lot recently.
Either way...... WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!! It's called competition! Everybody in the whole industry copies off of each other!

That’s why trademarks exist - to prevent others from copying. Incidentally, what this thread is about.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos