Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Topic Author
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 am

A new tailor made freighter for FedEx:

Textron Aviation has unveiled and launched the twin-engined Cessna 408 SkyCourier with a surprise order by FedEx for up to 100 aircraft worth $550 million at list price, in a move that reinserts the company into a market segment once occupied by the Beech 1900.

FedEx opened secret discussions with the manufacturer seven months ago to co-design the SkyCourier as a clean-sheet replacement for the Memphis-based carrier's turboprop fleet of Cessna 208 Caravans and ATR 42s, says Textron Aviation's chief executive Scott Ernest.

...

The aircraft appears optimised to the perform the cargo feeder mission that FedEx desires. The roughly 178cm (70in)-tall by 178cm-wide fuselage cross section is big enough to hold three LD-3 containers or palletised cargoes, says Brad Thress, senior vice-president of engineering for Textron Aviation. The SkyCourier also will feature a 221cm-wide cargo door hinged at the top to open outward, he adds.


Article
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... fe-443667/

Image
 
BlatantEcho
Posts: 2132
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:11 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:57 am

Cool!

Old engine tech, but not expensive engine tech.
Interesting
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5497
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:05 am

So basically a modern day Ayres Loadmaster without the fancy two-engines-one-propeller thing?
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:27 am

This looks really cool, any flight deck photos?
 
FlyBTV
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Very cool. They are also offering it in a 19 seat passenger configuration. I think it could prove popular on EAS routes and other small feeder services. Seems to be a smart move by Cessna - there are no aircraft currently produced in that segment - the Beech 1900, EMB 110/120, SA227, etc have all been long out of production. The ability to take LD3s offers a lot of efficiency advantages. I would not be surprised to see Ameriflight and others snap these up for their cargo feeder services.

Yes, older engine tech but they can always upgrade the engines in 5-10 years. Right now there's really nothing in this segment to speak of.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2873
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Looks like a Twotter to me.
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:45 pm

The article mentions the ATR 42. In what way will this plane replace them?
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:48 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
The article mentions the ATR 42. In what way will this plane replace them?

It will be a good replacement for those jobs where an ATR is too much plane, but it's all that is available. Flying half empty cabins doesn't make money after all, it just means added weight and costs.
 
COSPN
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:23 pm

What is the payload ??
 
F27500
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:49 pm

I think its cute ! Kinda looks like a Twin Otter and a Dornier 228 and ATR combo. I like it.
 
JustSomeDood
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Maybe I have a very wrong concept of Fedex's operations, but given the limited payload and range that this aircraft will have, wouldn't it be more efficient most of the time just to load the payload on a truck to the nearest metro airport and consolidate it with other cargo to be flown by Fedex's many larger aircraft?
 
ordbosewr
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:03 pm

JustSomeDood wrote:
Maybe I have a very wrong concept of Fedex's operations, but given the limited payload and range that this aircraft will have, wouldn't it be more efficient most of the time just to load the payload on a truck to the nearest metro airport and consolidate it with other cargo to be flown by Fedex's many larger aircraft?


If I understand it this all about time. The time it takes to drive from point A to point B would be too long for them. That is where these small planes can offer a low cost very quick solution to getting the express packages to the sorting facilities asap.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 10932
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:09 pm

I am hoping that if the production is not finalized, they find a way to include a pressurized cabin with retractable gear model on the same production line, a pax version based solely on the cargo model will not be a good seller even in developing countries where those comforts already exist in similar size and larger prop a/c.
I also have to assume that insulation will be at a minimum so the noise level inside the cabin will be ................
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5404
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:18 pm

This is very interesting and surprising news! I was getting ready to start a seperate post on small freighters (50 seaters or smaller so maxing out with CV-580/CRJ2 conversions).

It makes sense nowadays to optimize the plane to fly containers so you're not trying to shoehorn stuff into a random cargo crosss section or have to manually repack the entire load. 2x1200hp class engines are interesting too, making it look like cargo capacity will be high at 7-8000 pounds. That puts it just under the weight limits of the DHA/EMB120/ATR42 (10,000 pound class) and way above the B1900 (less than 5000 pounds).

This will also be interesting for the knock-down effects on smaller aircraft. I think you'll see the older C208s get pushed into the routes that currently are being flown by things like Bemidji's 60+ year old Queen Airs, Alpine/Ameriflight's SW4 and BE99 fleets, and some Cessna 402/404 routes. For a while I was thinking it was a matter of time before someone tried to press a buttload of King Airs into conversion, but that would be too expensive for the smaller operators.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Finally an active 19 seat airframe. Can it be a combi of 9 pax and cargo with one crew member?
 
MO11
Posts: 1842
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:31 pm

The Viking Twin Otter is active. This airframe is optimized for carrying containers.

Not happy about the T-tail; I suppose it's necessary for ease of loading. And I'd be interested to see what de-icing system is planned.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:40 pm

ordbosewr wrote:
JustSomeDood wrote:
Maybe I have a very wrong concept of Fedex's operations, but given the limited payload and range that this aircraft will have, wouldn't it be more efficient most of the time just to load the payload on a truck to the nearest metro airport and consolidate it with other cargo to be flown by Fedex's many larger aircraft?


If I understand it this all about time. The time it takes to drive from point A to point B would be too long for them. That is where these small planes can offer a low cost very quick solution to getting the express packages to the sorting facilities asap.


Or service airports like XNA instead of flying to Tulsa and then over by truck. MEM to XNA is 6 hrs by truck if you are luck and I-40 has no FUBARs especially between Little Rock and Memphis
 
User avatar
tjwgrr
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2000 4:09 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Here in GRR, I can see them replacing the double daily C208's to/from TVC, and at times the double daily to/from PLN.

I wonder if the C408 will be able to be flown by one pilot like the C208, or will it require two?
Last edited by tjwgrr on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Tan Flyr
Posts: 1749
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 11:07 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:52 pm

ordbosewr wrote:
JustSomeDood wrote:
Maybe I have a very wrong concept of Fedex's operations, but given the limited payload and range that this aircraft will have, wouldn't it be more efficient most of the time just to load the payload on a truck to the nearest metro airport and consolidate it with other cargo to be flown by Fedex's many larger aircraft?


If I understand it this all about time. The time it takes to drive from point A to point B would be too long for them. That is where these small planes can offer a low cost very quick solution to getting the express packages to the sorting facilities asap.


Quite correct..while less than a couple of hundred miles by Freeway from VIS-OAK for example, that trip in a truck can easily degenerate into a 5-6 hour ordeal with Bay area traffic, a wreck on Fwy99, or such. Currently the Cessna Caravan makes it generally in an hour or less. Thus Priority envelopes and packages make the connection at OAK to the destination or to MEM or IND and onward.
 
CabSauv
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:54 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:57 pm

COSPN wrote:
What is the payload ??


Built for high utilization operations, the Cessna SkyCourier 408 will be offered in cargo and passenger variants. The cargo variant will feature a large cargo door and a flat floor cabin that is sized to handle up to three LD3 shipping containers with an impressive 6,000 pounds of maximum payload capability. The aircraft will also afford a maximum cruise speed of up to 200 ktas and a 900 nautical-mile maximum range.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=m ... 8a267c1dad
 
Okie
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Spacepope wrote:
It makes sense nowadays to optimize the plane to fly containers so you're not trying to shoehorn stuff into a random cargo crosss section or have to manually repack the entire load. 2x1200hp class engines are interesting too, making it look like cargo capacity will be high at 7-8000 pounds. That puts it just under the weight limits of the DHA/EMB120/ATR42 (10,000 pound class) and way above the B1900 (less than 5000 pounds).


Not having to manually repack the load is going to be the key issue here. That will eliminate multitudes of part time, short hour, middle of the night, cold and windy temporary employees positions that are hard to fill.
I have known several people over the years that have worked on the ramp in the middle of the night working loading and sorting feeder aircraft to support a college habit. Every one of them said it was a seriously tough environment especially in winter conditions.
********
Obviously the aircraft will be flown into known icing conditions operating at night unpressurized. There was no reference at to what type of anti-icing the aircraft would be fitted. No mention of boots or heated surfaces. I suspect boots since everything else seems to pointed towards simple on this design.

Okie
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 pm

I still think Textron is the next manufacturer to build a 737/A320 size airliner.

They have the largest customer support network (mx) in the world right now, smaller airlines could see some serious value in that.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:12 pm

I think with FedEx's support this will be a success, just they have to promote it as passenger or combi.

I am guessing FedEx chose this because of the abundant supply of Cessna pilots in the market. Good for FedEx and entry pilots.

Probably, Amazon fulfillment centers will have an airstrip in the future.
 
User avatar
tjwgrr
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2000 4:09 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Tan Flyr wrote:
ordbosewr wrote:
JustSomeDood wrote:
Maybe I have a very wrong concept of Fedex's operations, but given the limited payload and range that this aircraft will have, wouldn't it be more efficient most of the time just to load the payload on a truck to the nearest metro airport and consolidate it with other cargo to be flown by Fedex's many larger aircraft?


If I understand it this all about time. The time it takes to drive from point A to point B would be too long for them. That is where these small planes can offer a low cost very quick solution to getting the express packages to the sorting facilities asap.


Quite correct..while less than a couple of hundred miles by Freeway from VIS-OAK for example, that trip in a truck can easily degenerate into a 5-6 hour ordeal with Bay area traffic, a wreck on Fwy99, or such. Currently the Cessna Caravan makes it generally in an hour or less. Thus Priority envelopes and packages make the connection at OAK to the destination or to MEM or IND and onward.


Later cutoff is another reason. FedEx operates a C208 from SBN to IND, less than 150 miles, departing SBN around 11:00pm with a short hour flight instead of a +/- 3 hour truck haul.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3543
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:22 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
I think with FedEx's support this will be a success, just they have to promote it as passenger or combi.

I am guessing FedEx chose this because of the abundant supply of Cessna pilots in the market. Good for FedEx and entry pilots.

Probably, Amazon fulfillment centers will have an airstrip in the future.


This does nothing for entry pilots. A pilot with a 4 year college degree is R-ATP eligible before they are eligible for 135 IFR PIC operations. FedEx feed has never really been an entry level job.
 
User avatar
terrificturk
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:22 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Finally an active 19 seat airframe. Can it be a combi of 9 pax and cargo with one crew member?


There is the TwinOtter and the Dornier 228NG, both carry 19 pax, the 228 a bit more comfortably as it is more of a plane.... both are very active indeed. It helps to get out more often.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Smart move on Textron's part, it will own the market. Will be interesting to see who else orders.

Would airlines like that operate Caravans now like Mokule or Southern be interested in this aircraft that bumps capacity by over 100%?
Last edited by william on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
iceberg210
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:11 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Reminds me of a high wing Piper Pocono ;)
|Image

Seriously though I've been WAITING for a long time for a plane like this to get into the market from a company where you know it has an almost certain chance of flying and getting made in decent numbers. You've got a great cargo plane with 100 examples off the bat which should make it pretty economical for others to add to their fleets too. The passenger version is an interesting addition too, one that I think will need a few options to really get going, but I don't think that's Textron's focus right now, but an added bonus. Back in the 70's the Piper Pocono was going to be offered in pressurized and unpressurized versions along with piston or turboprop, I don't think you need a piston version, but I think the Sky Courier would be interesting if down the road they put retractable gear and pressurization for options for the passenger variant. Another interesting back of the envelope idea is it is the same cross section as a Jetstream so in theory a 30 passenger stretch might not be out of the question either. I see this as an amazing starting place for either one amazing do all plane, or a start of a highly successful family. I'm hoping for the later ;)

Wish it the best, and look forward to seeing it in the skies!
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:37 pm

The article states Fedex wants to replace their Caravans with this aircraft. The Caravan can be flown with a single pilot, will this more capable aircraft be flown by one pilot?
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 pm

terrificturk wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Finally an active 19 seat airframe. Can it be a combi of 9 pax and cargo with one crew member?


There is the TwinOtter and the Dornier 228NG, both carry 19 pax, the 228 a bit more comfortably as it is more of a plane.... both are very active indeed. It helps to get out more often.


Both are good aircraft but not success stories. There is no large-scale serial production to make a mark.
 
Planeflyer
Posts: 1528
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Think amazon and the migration of very wealthy consumers to rural areas.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5404
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:06 pm

iceberg210 wrote:
Reminds me of a high wing Piper Pocono ;)
|Image

Seriously though I've been WAITING for a long time for a plane like this to get into the market from a company where you know it has an almost certain chance of flying and getting made in decent numbers. You've got a great cargo plane with 100 examples off the bat which should make it pretty economical for others to add to their fleets too. The passenger version is an interesting addition too, one that I think will need a few options to really get going, but I don't think that's Textron's focus right now, but an added bonus. Back in the 70's the Piper Pocono was going to be offered in pressurized and unpressurized versions along with piston or turboprop, I don't think you need a piston version, but I think the Sky Courier would be interesting if down the road they put retractable gear and pressurization for options for the passenger variant. Another interesting back of the envelope idea is it is the same cross section as a Jetstream so in theory a 30 passenger stretch might not be out of the question either. I see this as an amazing starting place for either one amazing do all plane, or a start of a highly successful family. I'm hoping for the later ;)

Wish it the best, and look forward to seeing it in the skies!


i think you're right on the passenger aspect. This new aircraft is being thought through "the other way around" with the containers primary, the people secondary (at best). The LD3s will be arranged nose to tail for the least cross-sectional area which will make the cabin width 3 or possibly 4 across. Though they say it could be used as a 19-seater, I'm sure you could actually stuff closer to 25 people in there but nobody is going to want to fly this with an FA.

2 1200shp engines and 6000 pounds of cargo is a WAY more capable aircraft than a king air, this is more like a new DC-3.
 
User avatar
terrificturk
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:20 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
terrificturk wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Finally an active 19 seat airframe. Can it be a combi of 9 pax and cargo with one crew member?


There is the TwinOtter and the Dornier 228NG, both carry 19 pax, the 228 a bit more comfortably as it is more of a plane.... both are very active indeed. It helps to get out more often.


Both are good aircraft but not success stories. There is no large-scale serial production to make a mark.



Both fly in their 200+ airframe brackets if I am not mistaken... some older versiosn included that are still flying plus licensed production in the case of the 228... to claim these are no success stories is an ignorant understatement indeed.
 
airzona11
Posts: 1886
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Very great to see a new aircraft. This should be a solid aircraft. Looks attractive for locations globally too, plus some military.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Would this be a single pilot aircraft? Fedex is stating this will replace the single pilot Caravan.
 
N353SK
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:08 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 pm

william wrote:
Would this be a single pilot aircraft? Fedex is stating this will replace the single pilot Caravan.


I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. There are plenty of 1900s and Metroliners flying boxes single pilot. I’m not an expert, but I believe the main requirement is a functional autopilot.
 
User avatar
rikkus67
Posts: 1342
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2000 11:34 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Regarding the 19 seat version: "...Textron Aviation plans to develop a 19-seat passenger version, but the aircraft's slow speed and unpressurised cabin could limit its appeal to the airline market. Instead, the passenger version of the SkyCourier will be targeted at markets in developing countries."

The best replacement for a 1900D.... is a 1900D (at least for the North American market)!
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3543
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:14 pm

N353SK wrote:
william wrote:
Would this be a single pilot aircraft? Fedex is stating this will replace the single pilot Caravan.


I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. There are plenty of 1900s and Metroliners flying boxes single pilot. I’m not an expert, but I believe the main requirement is a functional autopilot.


135 cargo doesn't even require that. 135 passenger ops require an autopilot if single pilot, but boxes no. I've flown 1900's single pilot no autopilot dragging boxes around from time to time.
 
INFINITI329
Posts: 2604
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:14 pm

FX should be able to turn this plane in under 20mins.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:17 pm

terrificturk wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
terrificturk wrote:

There is the TwinOtter and the Dornier 228NG, both carry 19 pax, the 228 a bit more comfortably as it is more of a plane.... both are very active indeed. It helps to get out more often.


Both are good aircraft but not success stories. There is no large-scale serial production to make a mark.



Both fly in their 200+ airframe brackets if I am not mistaken... some older versiosn included that are still flying plus licensed production in the case of the 228... to claim these are no success stories is an ignorant understatement indeed.


So for a Do228 introduced in 1970, (47 years) 345 total production including NGs and 200 frames in service is a great achievement.

How many NGs are in commercial service, a whopping 3 with Susi Air. It is a good aircraft for surveillance, SAR and medivac because of its STOL capabilities and unpressurized cabin allows to cut and install any surveillance payload. I wish NG sold a lot more but didn't happen.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5640
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 pm

CabSauv wrote:
COSPN wrote:
What is the payload ??


Built for high utilization operations, the Cessna SkyCourier 408 will be offered in cargo and passenger variants. The cargo variant will feature a large cargo door and a flat floor cabin that is sized to handle up to three LD3 shipping containers with an impressive 6,000 pounds of maximum payload capability. The aircraft will also afford a maximum cruise speed of up to 200 ktas and a 900 nautical-mile maximum range.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=m ... 8a267c1dad

This sounds like they have Alaska and Canada in mind too with that payload and range.
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Congrats Textron and FedEx.

Image

Key figures are:

- 6000 pounds payload
- 900nm range
- 200 knots cruise speed
- 3 LD3 containers or 19 pax

It does remind me a lot of the Twin Otter. I'm curious about the STOL capabilities of this aircraft.

The news directly from Textron:

http://txtav.com/en/newsroom/2017/11/te ... skycourier
 
SXDFC
Posts: 2133
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Surprised nobody mentioned Cape Air.. Are they still looking for a replacement for their 402s?
 
AviationAddict
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:37 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:14 pm

SXDFC wrote:
Surprised nobody mentioned Cape Air.. Are they still looking for a replacement for their 402s?


No. They placed an order with Tecnam a while back for a clean sheet design called the P2012 Traveller. The first 20 are scheduled to be delivered in Q1 2019.
 
User avatar
Boeing778X
Posts: 3268
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:35 pm

It’s cute. Neat little twin!
 
User avatar
Kviator
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 pm

AviationAddict wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
Surprised nobody mentioned Cape Air.. Are they still looking for a replacement for their 402s?


No. They placed an order with Tecnam a while back for a clean sheet design called the P2012 Traveller. The first 20 are scheduled to be delivered in Q1 2019.


Cape Air also has a few Britten-Norman Islanders and ATR-42s (flown under a CPA with United Express in Guam) in their fleet as well that will probably be needing replacement in the next few years. I would not be surprised if Cape Air still picked up a few SkyCourriers a little later in the production run. Seems like a great airplane for them, although it is a little too big to be a 1 for 1 replacement of their 9 seat Cessna 402s.
 
User avatar
Kviator
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:13 pm

I would not be surprised if the likes of Air Georgian and EVAS Air in Canada picked up a few of these SkyCourriers to replace their Beechcraft 1900Ds. Air Canada has said that the Tier III flying is not going away and they still need it, but the Beechcraft 1900Ds not exactly up to the customer's satisfaction levels (that is why they will not be repainted in Air Canada's new livery). Maybe the SkyCourrier is Air Canada's solution to their Tier III aircraft problem.

Also, I could see Pacific Coastal Airlines (or even WestJet themselves) pick up a few of these SkyCourriers if the new WestJet Link routes work out for them. I could see them going to Encore if WestJet picked them up themselves.
 
INFINITI329
Posts: 2604
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm curious why the Textron didn't go with retractable landing gear
 
User avatar
PHBVF
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't believe it has been posted but Cessna has a page dedicated to the SkyCourier: http://cessna.txtav.com/en/turboprop/skycourier

Main takes from the site:
- As mentioned before LD3's are loaded back-to-back
- At 5000lb range will be 400nm
- Dual crew doors (not sure if this will correlate to dual crew operation though...)

I must say I really like this aircraft and believe it will sell well!
 
ThalesCoelho
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:02 pm

Re: Textron launches Beech 1900-sized SkyCourier with FedEx order

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 pm

It remembers the Shorts Skyvan.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos