Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Boeing CEO resigns, David Calhoun named President and CEO

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg has resigned as Boeing CEO and from the board, effective immediately. David Calhoun has been named President and CEO, he will take the position from 13 January 2020.

For more refer to Boeing's Press Release

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-12-23 ... ip-Changes

Note: 2 threads being started on this that have had to be removed due to not conforming to forum rules. For those who have posted in those thread please post again
Forum Moderator

aden23

Re: Boeing CEO resigns, David Calhoun named President and CEO

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Great news, now let the criminal proceedings begin! Hopefully we can see Muilenberg behind bars by next Christmas.

Adipocere

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:36 pm

This could be the where the fix is in. Politicians get cover to assert that the big man was fired and changes were made at Boeing; while the FAA gets the squeeze to approve the plane to keep all those jobs afloat in an election cycle year.

blueflyer

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm a little bit surprised he was fired now. After sticking with him this long, I expected the board to keep him around until the Max was back in the air, then send him into retirement.

I guess between both a public and private dressing down from the head of the FAA, and losing confidence over multiple deadlines from the heads of major customers (AA, Southwest), the board felt they could not wait any longer.

qf789 wrote:
Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg has resigned as Boeing CEO and from the board, effective immediately.

Corporate speak for he was fired! Read the press release. Not a word of thanks, no commendation, no lame excuse, none of the usual attempts to make a parting of ways look amicable and planned. Instead, they need to "restore confidence," "repair relationships," and demonstrate a "renewed commitment to (...) transparency." That press release could not have been harsher if he had willfully driven a school bus full of nuns and orphans into a ditch. The board clearly decided enough was enough and told him not to come to the office today...

oschkosch

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Thread title needs a change. He was fired, full stop. No words of thanks in the press release to him either.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:

Elementalism

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:46 pm

blueflyer wrote:
I'm a little bit surprised he was fired now. After sticking with him this long, I expected the board to keep him around until the Max was back in the air, then send him into retirement.

I guess between both a public and private dressing down from the head of the FAA, and losing confidence over multiple deadlines from the heads of major customers (AA, Southwest), the board felt they could not wait any longer.

qf789 wrote:
Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg has resigned as Boeing CEO and from the board, effective immediately.

Corporate speak for he was fired! Read the press release. Not a word of thanks, no commendation, no lame excuse, none of the usual attempts to make a parting of ways look amicable and planned. Instead, they need to "restore confidence," "repair relationships," and demonstrate a "renewed commitment to (...) transparency." That press release could not have been harsher if he had willfully driven a school bus full of nuns and orphans into a ditch. The board clearly decided enough was enough and told him not to come to the office today...

IMO He was out regardless but I thought he was going to stick around through the crisis. But given the crisis has no definitive end and they shut down production. A change needed to be made. End of year is as good a time as any. And I do not expect this to be the last. There is going to be a culture change by gutting upper management imo.

DoctorVenkman

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 pm

How many millions will he get for tarnishing Boeing's reputation? I'm guessing at least an 8-figure package

glideslope

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Adipocere wrote:
This could be the where the fix is in. Politicians get cover to assert that the big man was fired and changes were made at Boeing; while the FAA gets the squeeze to approve the plane to keep all those jobs afloat in an election cycle year.

God I hope you’re wrong. I could see this though. Hard to trust any Boeing moves at this point.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

TC957

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Seems like not only in the UK then do ousted CEO's of big companies get rewarded for failure then.

TTailedTiger

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Please tell me that if there is anyone left from McDonnell-Douglas that they will be given the same treatment.

Could this mean the NMA is back on the table after the Max is sorted out? Boeing needs to change the channel quickly and move on.

NW747-400

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:57 pm

I was hoping the board of directors would take this opportunity to make a change in the culture of the company by appointing someone with an engineering background to the CEO position. Sadly David Calhoun is just another businessman with experience in investment banking.

Schmave

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Perhaps the failure during the recent Starliner launch was the straw that broke the camel's back?

william

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:00 pm

What do we know about Mr. Calhoun? I think he may be temporary CEO.

tommy1808

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:01 pm

glideslope wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

God I hope you’re wrong. I could see this though. Hard to trust any Boeing moves at this point.

Nah. If oversight was the problem business can't continue with the same person in charge. The press release is pretty clear, if restoring "confidence," "repair relationships," and demonstrate a "renewed commitment to (...) transparency." are why he had to go, than that is exactly what he stands in the way off. He is probably literally the tip of the iceberg of changes in personal and organisation to to create a load bearing DQA process moving forward. No politics beyond that, and not much of a point in it, as EASA, CAA et al are not going to blindly follow the FAA with the return to service.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

williaminsd

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Long overdue... it will take a decade to overcome the damage these clowns have wrought.

T4thH

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:06 pm

NW747-400 wrote:
I was hoping the board of directors would take this opportunity to make a change in the culture of the company by appointing someone with an engineering background to the CEO position. Sadly David Calhoun is just another businessman with experience in investment banking.

Sorry, if I start to laugh a little bit; I hope you are aware, that Muilenburg was the guy, you are asking for? He is engineer and was the first CEO since long time, who was not part of this chain of MD business CEOs ....

dangle

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:07 pm

NW747-400 wrote:

FWIW, Muilenburg represented the 'classic' Boeing career path of engineer out of college through to executive leadership.

trueblew

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Thread title is inaccurate. He did not resign, he was fired. Rightfully so.

bgm

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:20 pm

trueblew wrote:

This.

The thread title should be changed to reflect that he was fired, not resigned.
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

par13del

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Well if fired his package will be larger unless they intend to go public and show his personal wrong doings, not sure Boeing wants that publicity right now, so legally, he resigned allowing him to get his golden parachute as normal and Boeing to avoid being hit for transparency or lack there of.

shankly

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:28 pm

So the guy who gets the job is the guy that said this in October (interview with CNBC following congressional hearings):

“From the vantage point of our board, Dennis has done everything right"

Goldfish bowl
L1011 - P F M

NW747-400

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:28 pm

T4thH wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:

Sorry, if I start to laugh a little bit; I hope you are aware, that Muilenburg was the guy, you are asking for? He is engineer and was the first CEO since long time, who was not part of this chain of MD business CEOs ....

Yes I am aware, however he did nothing to change the culture of the company, most likely under the direction from the board of directors. It was business as usual until 300 people died.

I’m talking about meaningful corporate change. Move the headquarters back to Seattle, work with instead of against the unions, let engineers make design decisions instead of running everything up the corporate ladder. Make changes that will bring the company’s focus back to building great aircraft.

Between the MAX, missed NMA opportunity, 777X structural failure, Starliner failure.... these changes are necessary.

DocLightning

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:29 pm

oschkosch wrote:
Thread title needs a change. He was fired, full stop. No words of thanks in the press release to him either.

No, he resigned. Now, the conversation probably went: “We’d like your resignation within one hour, please.” So functionally, there’s little difference, but a resignation is cleaner for both sides.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

flipdewaf

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:34 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Please tell me that if there is anyone left from McDonnell-Douglas that they will be given the same treatment.

Could this mean the NMA is back on the table after the Max is sorted out? Boeing needs to change the channel quickly and move on.

I think changing the channel quickly would result in the wrong reaction publicly and smack of 'nothing to see here'. IMO they need to keep on the same channel and make it HD with behind the scenes access, be open, honest and authentic and sound like they give a shit about people, not just dollars.

Fred

tlecam

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:38 pm

The timing is interesting. I have to imagine that Boeing is more confident in the timeline. Calhoun is likely an interim CEO to steer through the return of the Max and until they find a suitable replacement. The replacement needs a story arc of a new chapter.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

TTailedTiger

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Mullenburg needed to go, but calling a stress test of the 777X a program failure? Come on people. The test was done for a reason. You all act as if everything should be perfect from conception. After the test they know which components need to be changed. Some of you act as of the wings fell off on the first flight. The 777X is still in development.

TTailedTiger

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:41 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I think changing the channel quickly would result in the wrong reaction publicly and smack of 'nothing to see here'. IMO they need to keep on the same channel and make it HD with behind the scenes access, be open, honest and authentic and sound like they give a shit about people, not just dollars.

Fred

Why can't they do that and bring on a new airplane? Should they sit around and mope and let their product line grow stale?

WesternDC6B

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:47 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Mullenburg needed to go, but calling a stress test of the 777X a program failure? Come on people. The test was done for a reason. You all act as if everything should be perfect from conception. After the test they know which components need to be changed. Some of you act as of the wings fell off on the first flight. The 777X is still in development.

Thank you. This needed saying. Testing is done for a reason.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

JetBuddy

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Muilenburg, aircraft engineer who worked himself up through the Boeing system gets fired.

Calhoun, accountant with experience from General Electric and various board positions is hired.

Airliners comments: "About time we got rid of those McDonnell Douglas bean counters!" :lol:

readytotaxi

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:55 pm

DocLightning wrote:
oschkosch wrote:

No, he resigned. Now, the conversation probably went: “We’d like your resignation within one hour, please.” So functionally, there’s little difference, but a resignation is cleaner for both sides.

I agree, he must have seen the writing on the wall.

A case of Boeing Boeing, gone ! :wave:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

F9Animal

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:56 pm

aden23 wrote:
Great news, now let the criminal proceedings begin! Hopefully we can see Muilenberg behind bars by next Christmas.

As much as I am furious with how things went so bad at Boeing.... I think Muilenberg is a scapegoat. I firmly believe Jim McNerney was the start of a chain of messes that happened to this day with his iron fist approach to labor. The outsourcing became massive under McNerney. The 787 should have been the first warning signs of a mess, especially when they rolled out a shell of an airplane. Airplanes and cheap are two combinations that are very poor IMO.

Boeing needs to bring alot of it's work back in house. Bring it's corporate offices back to Seattle, and clean house at the executive level, from top to bottom. Revert back to the days when Boeing produced a great quality product. A CEO replacement will not fix the problem, unless that CEO puts forth a dramatic makeover.
I Am A Different Animal!!

ubeema

Boeing CEO resigns, David Calhoun named President and CEO

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Under the Company's new leadership, Boeing will operate with a renewed commitment to full transparency, including effective and proactive communication with the FAA, other global regulators and its customers.

Looks, talks, and walks like a firing. Effective and proactive are words we use and expect of staff employees. Apparently Muilenburg failed expectations in time of crisis. Remember when Adminsitrator Dickson said he was going to have a talk with him re: Unilateral RTS timelines
Last edited by ubeema on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scbriml

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:00 pm

blueflyer wrote:
I'm a little bit surprised he was fired now.

He wasn't.

oschkosch wrote:
Thread title needs a change. He was fired, full stop.

No, he wasn't.

trueblew wrote:

He wasn't fired.

bgm wrote:

Except he wasn't fired.

DocLightning wrote:

:checkmark:

At his level in a company the size of Boeing, there's little difference, but there will be specific reasons on both sides why he resigned and was not fired

JetBuddy wrote:
Airliners comments: "About time we got rid of those McDonnell Douglas bean counters!"

It's pretty funny how any Boeing cock-up mis-step is immediately blamed on McDonnell Douglas. Muilenburg had been with Boeing since 1985 when he started as an intern. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

keesje

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:03 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Say I'm starting my car, testing to see if the battery is charged & there's an explosion leaving the hood vertical

Then I text my wife testing is continuing and we are at 99%. She sees the smoking car & hood photo 2 months later.

I say testing is there for reason. Not good enough.

Now lets first blame Muilenburg for everything & dump him.

:sarcastic:
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

trueblew

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:05 pm

scbriml wrote:
blueflyer wrote:

He wasn't.

oschkosch wrote:

No, he wasn't.

trueblew wrote:

He wasn't fired.

bgm wrote:

Except he wasn't fired.

DocLightning wrote:

At his level in a company the size of Boeing, there's little difference, but there will be specific reasons on both sides why he resigned and was not fired

JetBuddy wrote:
Airliners comments: "About time we got rid of those McDonnell Douglas bean counters!"

It's pretty funny how any Boeing cock-up mis-step is immediately blamed on McDonnell Douglas. Muilenburg had been with Boeing since 1985 when he started as an intern. :sarcastic:

NYT and CNBC, among others, are reporting the board fired him. You are incorrect. Why so defensive, anyhow? Is he a relative?

“The Board determined that a change in leadership was necessary to restore confidence in the company moving forward." — Boeing press release
Last edited by trueblew on Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LDRA

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Muilenburg could have grounded 737 Max fleet after Indonesia mishap.

Instead, Boeing issued press release to point finger at Lion Air, not a single mention of MCAS in that press release

Take a look at it

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-relea ... tem=130336

ET302 is 100% on him

Good riddance

TTailedTiger

keesje wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Say I'm starting my car, testing to see if the battery is charged & there's an explosion leaving the hood vertical

Then I text my wife testing is continuing. She sees the smoking car & hood photo 2 months later.

I say testing is for reason. Not good enough.

That made absolutely no sense.

blockski

scbriml wrote:
blueflyer wrote:

He wasn't.

oschkosch wrote:

No, he wasn't.

trueblew wrote:

He wasn't fired.

bgm wrote:

Except he wasn't fired.

DocLightning wrote:

JetBuddy wrote:

There might be legal reasons to not fire him for cause, but he was fired in the common usage of the term. Fired, forced out, forced to resign, whatever. The key point is that Muilenberg did not just fall on his sword because he thought it was the right thing to do.

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/ ... 4405011456

cat3appr50

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:09 pm

The Boeing Starliner failure to insert into correct orbit and not be able to dock with the ISS, and returned to the ocean instead for Rev 1 was likely the straw that broke the camel’s back.

It has been deeply troubling (and for millions of Americans, including me, a national embarrassment) regarding this current Max 8 situation (MCAS, etc.) relative to the lives lost in both recent accidents, and IMO technology that should have been better scrutinized, reviewed, tested etc. before becoming commercially implemented.

It seems that top level Boeing management may have been driving the implementation based more on schedule (for accelerated sales), and a management “it’s good enough” high level influence being pushed towards the engineering and design and operational testing teams as a result. The “performance” part of the normal engineering and management project pillars seems was sadly lacking. In the past this simply was not the case with Boeing, with a long history of tangible success.

The FAA also has a monumental task now in restoring public confidence and trust that had existed with the agency and all of its dedicated professional employees since its founding in 1958 as the premier airline regulatory agency in the world. The past 8-10 years of the FAA’s abdication of regulatory responsibilities, tens of thousands of their employees not doing their regulatory jobs (their salaries and expenses all paid by the US taxpayers) has been an equal national embarrassment.

Boeing and the FAA desperately need new aggressive (in terms of “performance”) leadership. The current abdication, carelessness, profit and salaries instead of performance focus, etc. needs to radically change very quickly. And more in mid to upper management need to be given their walking papers, without golden parachutes.

All just my opinion.

flipdewaf

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:14 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Fred

Why can't they do that and bring on a new airplane? Should they sit around and mope and let their product line grow stale?
Sorry, I may have misinterpreted, I think they Need to be honest with regard to the MAX clusterf*ck and to make that happen they have to be honest with themselves. I think they can do another model but if they turn any mainstream media on to a new model before the MAX is sorted then they will be seen to be diverting attention. I don't see that they will have internally diverted that much human resource to the MAX debacle as realistically you can't make it go faster with more people, kind of like it takes one woman 9 months to make a baby inside her, you cant get 9 women and expect it to take 1 month.

Fred

JetBuddy

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:15 pm

trueblew wrote:
scbriml wrote:
blueflyer wrote:

He wasn't.

oschkosch wrote:

No, he wasn't.

trueblew wrote:

He wasn't fired.

bgm wrote:

Except he wasn't fired.

DocLightning wrote:

JetBuddy wrote:

NYT and CNBC, among others, are reporting the board fired him. You are incorrect. Why so defensive, anyhow? Is he a relative?

“The Board determined that a change in leadership was necessary to restore confidence in the company moving forward." — Boeing press release

"The Company also announced that Dennis A. Muilenburg has resigned from his positions as Chief Executive Officer and Board director effective immediately."

So now the question. Who do you trust more? Boeing, who made the press release? Or NYT and CNBC journalists?

jomur

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:16 pm

BBC radio said he was fired as well.

scbriml

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:17 pm

trueblew wrote:

Would that be the same Boeing that said he resigned in the very same press release? :lol:

The Company also announced that Dennis A. Muilenburg has resigned from his positions as Chief Executive Officer and Board director effective immediately.

So it matters not what news outlets say, Boeing themselves say he resigned.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Web500sjc

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:19 pm

keesje wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Then I text my wife testing is continuing and we are at 99%. She sees the smoking car & hood photo 2 months later.

I say testing is there for reason. Not good enough.

More like you took the car out to the drag strip, and the tire fell apart above the tires posted speed limit.

But Muilenberg needed to go. Maybe it should have been earlier at the beginning of the max crisis, maybe it should have been when the max returned to service, but he needed to go- and so do a couple more heads.
Boiler Up!

Aptivaboy

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:20 pm

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

People can call it a resigination all they want. Functionally, he was told to leave and not let the door hit him on the way out. The fact that a replacement was already waiting in the wings should be suggestive enough of this. Whatever his actual complicity or culpability in the MAX design and crashes may have been, his performance before Congress was atrocious. That alone probably sealed his fate.

MIflyer12

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:21 pm

That's a really odd point on which to argue. 'You can resign effective immediately, or we can fire you.'

I'll aver that nobody posting here knows the details of Muilenburg's employment contract and how benefits might change between resignation and termination. Resignations can be handy in avoiding lawsuits. The immediate result is that he's gone.

blockski

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:23 pm

scbriml wrote:
trueblew wrote:

Would that be the same Boeing that said he resigned in the very same press release? :lol:

The Company also announced that Dennis A. Muilenburg has resigned from his positions as Chief Executive Officer and Board director effective immediately.

So it matters not what news outlets say, Boeing themselves say he resigned.

You're acting like Muilenberg resigning is somehow inconsistent with being fired. It is not.

scbriml

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:24 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
That's a really odd point on which to argue. 'You can resign effective immediately, or we can fire you.'

I'll aver that nobody posting here knows the details of Muilenburg's employment contract and how benefits might change between resignation and termination. Resignations can be handy in avoiding lawsuits. The immediate result is that he's gone.

I like accuracy. :wink2:

I said basically the same thing upthread. There's very likely reasons on both sides why him resigning is better than Boeing firing him.

scbriml

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:28 pm

blockski wrote:
You're acting like Muilenberg resigning is somehow inconsistent with being fired. It is not.

No, read my previous posts.

blockski

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:32 pm

scbriml wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I like accuracy. :wink2:

I said basically the same thing upthread. There's very likely reasons on both sides why him resigning is better than Boeing firing him.

Again, he was effectively fired. There are perfectly good legal reasons for the termination to be structured as a resignation rather than firing him for cause (and the ensuing litigation over contracts). Muilenberg wanted to continue on as CEO. He was forced out.

This is a case where the pedantic desire for 'accuracy' is misleading. To say he resigned without any other context is misleading. He didn't resign because he was diagnosed with cancer. He didn't resign because he accepted an offer to be CEO of a different company. He 'resigned' because the Board decided they needed to make a change at CEO. In common use of the term, he was fired.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos