Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Stitch

Re: Boeing CEO resigns, David Calhoun named President and CEO

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:38 pm

It's standard corporate practice to have the senior executives "resign" when they no longer hold the confidence of the Board of Directors. No different here.

WesternDC6B

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Lots and lots of posts arguing terminology. Fine. Being asked to resign is the same as a firing.

But!

It is reported by Boeing as a resignation. If A-Net headlined it as a firing, it could be taken as libel.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

Revelation

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:41 pm

No matter what term you use to describe it, the board of directors decided that Dennis has failed as a leader and needs to be replaced. The rest is all semantics in technicalities.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

par13del

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:42 pm

A.Net needs it to be fired so that we can claim punishment, meanwhile in the real world, it will be resignation to avoid any litigation, and yes, he will most likely get a very good severance package or golden parachute.

trueblew

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:44 pm

scbriml wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
That's a really odd point on which to argue. 'You can resign effective immediately, or we can fire you.'

I'll aver that nobody posting here knows the details of Muilenburg's employment contract and how benefits might change between resignation and termination. Resignations can be handy in avoiding lawsuits. The immediate result is that he's gone.

I like accuracy. :wink2:

I said basically the same thing upthread. There's very likely reasons on both sides why him resigning is better than Boeing firing him.

He was quite plainly fired, regardless of the wording Boeing used. Seems you’re quite unfamiliar with the way executive departures work. But if it helps you sleep at night to tell yourself he wasn’t fired then so be it.

Nicoeddf

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:46 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
keesje wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

Thank you. This needed saying. Testing is done for a reason.

Say I'm starting my car, testing to see if the battery is charged & there's an explosion leaving the hood vertical

Then I text my wife testing is continuing. She sees the smoking car & hood photo 2 months later.

I say testing is for reason. Not good enough.

Now lets first blame Muilenburg for everything & dump him.

:sarcastic:

That made absolutely no sense.

But at least in this thread you are in your element - so much hate here for Muilenberg. As if he personally programmed MCAS, the clock for the Starliner and has himself bolted together the 777-9 fuselage after calculating the material stress during night shift. :rotfl:

Muilenberg is a scapegoat for an arrogant corporate culture within Boeing. Not MD, not anything else, but Boeing. And yes, many years of first hand experience as a customer, thanks.

And before anybody cries: No, that does not mean, Boeing products wouldn't be fine products. They are.
Last edited by Nicoeddf on Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

WesternDC6B

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Meanwhile... the next several months should prove interesting.

New projects?
Move the office back to Seattle?
NMA?
MOM?
NEO the 757!?!?? :stirthepot: :duck:
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

oschkosch

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:47 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:

It is reported by Boeing as a resignation. If A-Net headlined it as a firing, it could be taken as libel.

Oh really? So multiple larger newspapers will be the subject of defamation lawsuits soon? Example of the UK Daily Mail headlines attached.Image

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:

Nicoeddf

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Revelation wrote:
No matter what term you use to describe it, the board of directors decided that Dennis has failed as a leader and needs to be replaced. The rest is all semantics in technicalities.

Yes, very much so.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

KlimaBXsst

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Oh lord, I hope I pray this is not foreshadowing yet more 737 MAX issue as I assume it may be.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

raylee67

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:53 pm

It's been one major issue after another this year for Boeing.
MAX grounding, 777X delays and then the Starliner failure last week. It basically covers all lines of business. As the CEO, it's kind of difficult to really stay on when the floor literally collapses below your feet. I have a feeling that the failure of the Starliner is actually what caused the Board to make the move. Boeing is now way behind Space-X in that project.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

aden23

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:56 pm

LDRA wrote:
Muilenburg could have grounded 737 Max fleet after Indonesia mishap.

Instead, Boeing issued press release to point finger at Lion Air, not a single mention of MCAS in that press release

Take a look at it

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-relea ... tem=130336

ET302 is 100% on him

Good riddance

Yes! Thank you. Let’s not forget it was Donald Trump, a person with little knowledge of aviation, that forced the grounding of the MAX in the U.S.

It was a stunning show of cowardice that Muilenberg allowed the MAX to keep flying knowing full well it was unsafe. The blood is on his hands, and he deserves to pay.

Profit over human life, what a legacy Muilenberg leaves behind.

Momo1435

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Not all surprising news, Boeing has managed this crisis very poorly, resulting in constant delays in the re-certification of the MAX and angry customers.

The new CEO will have two jobs, get the MAX certified again and regaining the trust from authorities, customers and the Boeing employees. Don't expect any other large decissions before the current mess is sorted. Since he can only be CEO for 3 years it only going to be an interim position before a new CEO can really start to look at the future.

m007j

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Folks, hopefully you've never been fired or worse yet, have had to fire someone yourself. If you'd like someone to leave, call them in and either offer to fire them or ask for them to resign. It's a courtesy so when in your next interview you're asked about how/why you left your old company, you get to say you resigned and you weren't actually fired.
That's basically what the Boeing directors did in this case. Whatever the semantics, legally, Dennis Muilenberg was not fired, as much as the clickbait titles linked upthread would have you believe. He resigned, and that is that. In effect he was fired, but it's not as much one or the other as all of you are disagreeing about.

As for Calhoun: I said it before in the thread where Muilenberg lost his chairman of the board title, he's an investment banker and finance kind of guy-he is NOT here for any sort of cultural change. IMO he's the wrong guy for this rebuild, but the people screaming for someone's head really don't care because they got someone, anyone, instead of Muilenberg.
Look for him to prioritize moves that get the stock price back up, rather than a real long-term strategy that focuses on innovation and safety.

planecane

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:12 pm

keesje wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Mullenburg needed to go, but calling a stress test of the 777X a program failure? Come on people. The test was done for a reason. You all act as if everything should be perfect from conception. After the test they know which components need to be changed. Some of you act as of the wings fell off on the first flight. The 777X is still in development.

Say I'm starting my car, testing to see if the battery is charged & there's an explosion leaving the hood vertical

Then I text my wife testing is continuing and we are at 99%. She sees the smoking car & hood photo 2 months later.

I say testing is there for reason. Not good enough.

Your car is a shipped product. A test during DEVELOPMENT is there to get the product right when it is sold to customers. If it was a flight test that would be different. It was essentially a "bench test," albeit a large bench.

scbriml

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:13 pm

trueblew wrote:
Seems you’re quite unfamiliar with the way executive departures work.

After working for a global American corporation for 34 years on multi-billion $ projects, I'm very familiar, thank you. And no, I didn't need to resign. :wink2:

trueblew wrote:
But if it helps you sleep at night to tell yourself he wasn’t fired then so be it.

I don't need any help sleeping, but it seems quite a few here need to see him punished. I'm not defending him, just reading what Boeing wrote. :wave:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:18 pm

It is simplistic and unfair, but Boeing cannot make 737s, 767s, 777s, fly it rockets. At some point you need to change leadership. It does not even require playing the fault game.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

mzlin

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Is it too late to bring Alan Mulally back? Anybody heard anything about what he is up to lately? He's getting up there in age (74) but these days it seems 70s is the new 50s.

32andBelow

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:27 pm

cat3appr50 wrote:
The Boeing Starliner failure to insert into correct orbit and not be able to dock with the ISS, and returned to the ocean instead for Rev 1 was likely the straw that broke the camel’s back.

It has been deeply troubling (and for millions of Americans, including me, a national embarrassment) regarding this current Max 8 situation (MCAS, etc.) relative to the lives lost in both recent accidents, and IMO technology that should have been better scrutinized, reviewed, tested etc. before becoming commercially implemented.

It seems that top level Boeing management may have been driving the implementation based more on schedule (for accelerated sales), and a management “it’s good enough” high level influence being pushed towards the engineering and design and operational testing teams as a result. The “performance” part of the normal engineering and management project pillars seems was sadly lacking. In the past this simply was not the case with Boeing, with a long history of tangible success.

The FAA also has a monumental task now in restoring public confidence and trust that had existed with the agency and all of its dedicated professional employees since its founding in 1958 as the premier airline regulatory agency in the world. The past 8-10 years of the FAA’s abdication of regulatory responsibilities, tens of thousands of their employees not doing their regulatory jobs (their salaries and expenses all paid by the US taxpayers) has been an equal national embarrassment.

Boeing and the FAA desperately need new aggressive (in terms of “performance”) leadership. The current abdication, carelessness, profit and salaries instead of performance focus, etc. needs to radically change very quickly. And more in mid to upper management need to be given their walking papers, without golden parachutes.

All just my opinion.

The starship mission wasn’t that bad. If crew were on board it could have been fix. The mission returned safely and landed safely on LAND.

NW747-400

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:32 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Mullenburg needed to go, but calling a stress test of the 777X a program failure? Come on people. The test was done for a reason. You all act as if everything should be perfect from conception. After the test they know which components need to be changed. Some of you act as of the wings fell off on the first flight. The 777X is still in development.

Blowing a huge hole unexpectedly in the back of the fuselage is a failure. The fuselage failed. Period.

No one is saying the PROGRAM is a failure, but the pressurization failure will affect EIS while a solution is developed. The fix could easily just be a lower than planned limit on the cabin pressure differential.
Last edited by NW747-400 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgustafson

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Schmave wrote:
Perhaps the failure during the recent Starliner launch was the straw that broke the camel's back?

I agree. The board just couldn't take any more. Should have acted months ago but at least they finally took action.
RGTWA

keesje

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Boeing’s Days of Being the Bully Are Over

The leverage it had over suppliers, regulators and even its own rivals is gone. Plus, more industrial insights.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-12-20/boeing-s-bullying-days-are-done

Maybe a culture change has started.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

NW747-400

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:35 pm

keesje wrote:

The leverage it had over suppliers, regulators and even its own rivals is gone. Plus, more industrial insights.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-12-20/boeing-s-bullying-days-are-done

Let’s hope so!

Asiaflyer

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:36 pm

scbriml wrote:
trueblew wrote:

After working for a global American corporation for 34 years on multi-billion $ projects, I'm very familiar, thank you. And no, I didn't need to resign. :wink2:

trueblew wrote:
But if it helps you sleep at night to tell yourself he wasn’t fired then so be it.

I don't need any help sleeping, but it seems quite a few here need to see him punished. I'm not defending him, just reading what Boeing wrote. :wave:

Well, it’s common practice that top management ”resigns” but we all know what going on behind the scene..

In this case it would have been very interesting to been a fly on the wall past few months to understand how DM was running the ship versus how the Board of Directors looked at it. This was inevitable IMO and should have come earlier.

IWMBH

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:49 pm

NW747-400 wrote:
keesje wrote:

Let’s hope so!

I don’t think they’ve much of a choice.

Sometimes it is good for a company and a sector to get such a wake up call. Just a shame that in the airplane industry it usually means a big loss of life.

MSPNWA

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:04 pm

I see the corporate world still believes in symbolic firings. To me this is the worst move Boeing has done yet in 2019.

LDRA

Wait one more thing, didn't they make a big deal about separate chairman and CEO positions back in October? The new CEO is also current chairman?
Last edited by LDRA on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JayinKitsap

F9Animal wrote:
aden23 wrote:
Great news, now let the criminal proceedings begin! Hopefully we can see Muilenberg behind bars by next Christmas.

As much as I am furious with how things went so bad at Boeing.... I think Muilenberg is a scapegoat. I firmly believe Jim McNerney was the start of a chain of messes that happened to this day with his iron fist approach to labor. The outsourcing became massive under McNerney. The 787 should have been the first warning signs of a mess, especially when they rolled out a shell of an airplane. Airplanes and cheap are two combinations that are very poor IMO.

Boeing needs to bring alot of it's work back in house. Bring it's corporate offices back to Seattle, and clean house at the executive level, from top to bottom. Revert back to the days when Boeing produced a great quality product. A CEO replacement will not fix the problem, unless that CEO puts forth a dramatic makeover.

I concur, McNerney was at the helm when the 7 Late 7 rollout, also at the helm when the big decisions on the MAX were done. Muilenberg was the scapegoat and the inertia in management just kept with the "this is our way" approach, which has not helped resolving the MAX. I doubt the offices will return to Seattle, but the commercial division should be run from Seattle and run to produce a great product efficiently, with work returning in house where it makes sense.

I hope Boeing has realized that if one outsources the design and engineering, the control is gone but the responsibility remains. The crappy results with the 787 initially and this MAX fiasco all have to do with delegating the work. Decisions are not being properly vetted, some examples:

- the space launch: clock set wrong
-KC-46 - tie downs not work
-KC-46 - still had FOD after 2 stops of acceptance
-KC-46 - Cobham not bothering to go get FAA certification until crisis.
-MAX - MCAS set stronger that setting during certification.

I hope Admiral Richardson gets more involved at the board level and drive the problems out of the culture. Richardson and Bowman both had excellent cultures going with the US Navy Nuclear programs, a very similar culture needs to be thruout Boeing.

- the

9Patch

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:06 pm

keesje wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Then I text my wife testing is continuing and we are at 99%. She sees the smoking car & hood photo 2 months later.

I say testing is there for reason. Not good enough.

Poor analogy.

Testing is done by the manufacturer, not the customer.

Geoff1947

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Important lesson IMHO. If you convince yourself you are ‘winning’ all the time, you get arrogant and complacent leading to big mistakes.

Just my 2 cents.

Geoff

reltney

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:11 pm

bgm wrote:
trueblew wrote:
Thread title is inaccurate. He did not resign, he was fired. Rightfully so.

This.

The thread title should be changed to reflect that he was fired, not resigned.

Well, so was Dixon fired at Delta but truth doesn’t matter , it the drama which matters on this site..
Last edited by reltney on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

9Patch

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:15 pm

bgm wrote:
trueblew wrote:
Thread title is inaccurate. He did not resign, he was fired. Rightfully so.

This.

The thread title should be changed to reflect that he was fired, not resigned.

Maybe the thread title should be: Muilenburg out at Boeing, David Calhoun named President and CEO

astuteman

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:24 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Sorry, I may have misinterpreted, I think they Need to be honest with regard to the MAX clusterf*ck and to make that happen they have to be honest with themselves. Fred

This is the thing that I see, and why I think finally he had to go.

I can't prove any of this, but what see is that in the first instance - the certification of the MAX, and the reaction to the crashes, there is a fair amount of fault to be found both at Boeing and in the FAA.
In such cases where there is a significant loss of trust, I would have expected the organisations involved to "fall on their swords" and open themselves to any investigation that helps rebuild the trust.
It's what my company did in similar circumstances. It what Airbus have done in relation to the bribery scandal.

I think that the difference has been this. With the appointment of Dicks, the FAA have decided that they want to be above criticism, and challenge anything and everything in an effort to rebuild trust in them.

It has never felt to me like Boeing have come with them on the journey. It still fells like they have taken the "we'll provide you with the evidence that we see fit and has been good enough in the past, and if you don't like it then that's your fault" without seeming to go on the deep soul searching quest for restoring trust.

That's why I think the re-certification of the MAX has become wrapped round the axle of the Boeing/FAA relationship.

It feels to me like the board has finally realised that they need to be genuinely contrite and open, as opposed to still maintaining an air of "privilege" if they want to start to rebuild trust.
It's sad - I suspect Mullenberg was a good engineer who was unable to lead the company in this direction.

Revelation wrote:
I guess Dennis learn the hard way what happens if you fall behind on your payments to the New York Times.

Joking aside, I remember you commenting on the risks associated with Boeing's "hard line" and whether it would be successful or not.

I guess we have the answer to that question now, and its "not" - as many of us have believed from the outset.

Rgds

VirginFlyer

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:24 pm

LDRA wrote:
Wait one more thing, didn't they make a big deal about separate chairman and CEO positions back in October? The new CEO is also current chairman?

They will still be separate positions:

CHICAGO, Dec. 23, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] announced today that its Board of Directors has named current Chairman, David L. Calhoun, as Chief Executive Officer and President, effective January 13, 2020. Mr. Calhoun will remain a member of the Board. In addition, Board member Lawrence W. Kellner will become non-executive Chairman of the Board effective immediately.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

ikolkyo

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:25 pm

What’s funny is Calhoun will probably only be in the spot for a couple years because of his age then another one will come in. Interesting times ahead.

VirginFlyer

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:26 pm

Asiaflyer wrote:
scbriml wrote:
trueblew wrote:

trueblew wrote:

Well, it’s common practice that top management ”resigns” but we all know what going on behind the scene..

In this case it would have been very interesting to been a fly on the wall past few months to understand how DM was running the ship versus how the Board of Directors looked at it. This was inevitable IMO and should have come earlier.

Heads up: the long string of unbroken text in your signature causes the page to render strangely, and results in the adverts covering the content of the discussion. Could you please introduce some spaces into your signature text?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

rbavfan

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Adipocere wrote:
This could be the where the fix is in. Politicians get cover to assert that the big man was fired and changes were made at Boeing; while the FAA gets the squeeze to approve the plane to keep all those jobs afloat in an election cycle year.

Until it's approved in a way that meets what other nations are demanding to allow flights to resume.It would be foolish & long term cost prohibitive (Possible linked accidents in future) for the FAA to Squeeze an approval. If that were to happen the FAA, Boeing & the US govt. would loos what little value they have left.

ltbewr

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:44 pm

The forced resignation of Mulienberg was likely done as a quick fix to placate the shareholders, especially institutional ones and slow the decline at least short term of the per-share price of Boeing stock, especially as near the end of the quarter. I bet the stock has gone up in price since the resignation was announced this morning.

I just wish instead of getting a golden parachute of $10's of millions, he got kicked to the curb like most of us if resigned/fired with only a last paycheck and no severance. He has enough wealth that won't have to worry about living on the streets, digging for food in dumpsters or without health insurance. Good Riddance to bad rubbish.

Now the issue will be if the new CEO can turn things around. Many here say no, that management is too much into money and not into engineering in a proper balance. The 737MAX seems to be a black hole of disaster and may not be fixable in any practical or affordable way, a lot of damage has been made to Boeing's reputation.

justloveplanes

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 pm

F9Animal wrote:
aden23 wrote:
Great news, now let the criminal proceedings begin! Hopefully we can see Muilenberg behind bars by next Christmas.

As much as I am furious with how things went so bad at Boeing.... I think Muilenberg is a scapegoat. I firmly believe Jim McNerney was the start of a chain of messes that happened to this day with his iron fist approach to labor. The outsourcing became massive under McNerney. The 787 should have been the first warning signs of a mess, especially when they rolled out a shell of an airplane. Airplanes and cheap are two combinations that are very poor IMO.

Boeing needs to bring alot of it's work back in house. Bring it's corporate offices back to Seattle, and clean house at the executive level, from top to bottom. Revert back to the days when Boeing produced a great quality product. A CEO replacement will not fix the problem, unless that CEO puts forth a dramatic makeover.

Concur. This is a cost cutter commodity mindset that traces its roots to McNerney vice Mullaly.

Larry Kellner was value oriented at CO and is now non executive Chairman. Fingers crossed.

flipdewaf

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:25 pm

astuteman wrote:
It feels to me like the board has finally realised that they need to be genuinely contrite and open, as opposed to still maintaining an air of "privilege" if they want to start to rebuild trust.

I think it’s difficult when a b2b company is used to playing inter company politics finds itself in a b2c political situation, public relations and investor relations work very differently, like when an oil well goes up in the Gulf of Mexico...

astuteman wrote:
It's sad - I suspect Mullenberg was a good engineer who was unable to lead the company in this direction.

I agree, some of my most capable colleagues are engineers (as am I) but sometimes there is almost too much logic to lead a company on a public stage.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asiaflyer

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:28 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
Asiaflyer wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Heads up: the long string of unbroken text in your signature causes the page to render strangely, and results in the adverts covering the content of the discussion. Could you please introduce some spaces into your signature text?

V/F

Thanks for the heads up. It’s removed now.

masseybrown

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Step 2. Move back to Seattle.

Saintor

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Muilenberg is a colateral damage, not the source of the current problems. Vengeful people here are hilarious.

I am an executive in a global company. You can manage people, establish policies and long term develop a culture but no way that you can control everything. I don't see how he, personally, was neglectful.

If I have to mention a thing, it is that I found his response to the 737 MAX crisis a bit too soft. But if he went too hard, he would still be fired I guess.

seahawk

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:54 pm

The only mistake was probably the communication during the crisis. He hardly will have had much influence in the technical parts and due to his position he was the fall guy. The question is if they keep the new CEO or if he is only a transistional solution.

747megatop

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:55 pm

DocLightning wrote:
oschkosch wrote:
Thread title needs a change. He was fired, full stop. No words of thanks in the press release to him either.

No, he resigned. Now, the conversation probably went: “We’d like your resignation within one hour, please.” So functionally, there’s little difference, but a resignation is cleaner for both sides.

Well, when he showed up for the board meeting the conversation probably actuall went "We have typed up your resignation letter, please sign it; and oh btw, your network access has been terminated, please hand over your badge while you are at it (signing the resignation)". The stuff from your office will be shipped back to you."

VirginFlyer

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:57 pm

747megatop wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
oschkosch wrote:
Thread title needs a change. He was fired, full stop. No words of thanks in the press release to him either.

No, he resigned. Now, the conversation probably went: “We’d like your resignation within one hour, please.” So functionally, there’s little difference, but a resignation is cleaner for both sides.

Well, when he showed up for the board meeting the conversation probably actuall went "We have typed up your resignation letter, please sign it; and oh btw, your network access has been terminated, please hand over your badge while you are at it (signing the resignation)". The stuff from your office will be shipped back to you."

Perhaps a term used at certain operators in the industry applies here: he was resigned.

V/F

747megatop

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Saintor wrote:
Muilenberg is a colateral damage, not the source of the current problems. Vengeful people here are hilarious.

I am an executive in a global company. You can manage people, establish policies and long term develop a culture but no way that you can control everything. I don't see how he, personally, was neglectful.

If I have to mention a thing, it is that I found his response to the 737 MAX crisis a bit too soft. But if he went too hard, he would still be fired I guess.

Muilenberg and McAllister were part of the problem. They had to go. I am surprised that Calhoun was made the CEO. After all he was part of the board when this F#$% up happened. He along with the rest of the board should have been shown the door as well for sleeping at the wheel and let this happen.

Paolo18

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:01 pm

1 step forward, 2 steps backwards.
This new c eee o is even worse than muilenburg.
Ahh boeing, the gift that keeps on giving.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:03 pm

This thread title looks wrong. He didn't resign. The board called him to tell him he was fired. That sounds like being fired.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos