Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

strfyr51

Re: Boeing CEO resigns, David Calhoun named President and CEO

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:30 am

TyroneShoes wrote:
Should have never moved to Chicago. Something about that city...

It isn't about Chicago! It's a beautiful area where they are, If you like downtown areas. (I actually don't though I was within Spitting distance of both Boeing and United when I got off the Metra Rail train at Union Station) Boeing's problems are NOT in where they ARE! Just Who they thought they Were!!

rbavfan

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:35 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
par13del wrote:
Well if fired his package will be larger unless they intend to go public and show his personal wrong doings, not sure Boeing wants that publicity right now, so legally, he resigned allowing him to get his golden parachute as normal and Boeing to avoid being hit for transparency or lack there of.

Nope. If he was fired his payout would be substantially smaller. He was simply given the opportunity to quit. The “good ole boys” network alive, well, thriving, and conniving!

You realize when he became CEO the 737Max was a frozen design and was just about to start ground testing before the first flight 6 months after he started. While not a fan of him, blaming him for the prior bosses choices is not right either. But I will agree exit packages need to be eliminated if the company is loosing money hand and foot. And they participated in expanding the losses. He has some fault, but quite a way down the list.

keesje

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:41 am

Big depts are spread out into far out accounting blocks, or already taken care of. Nobody will remember MAX and everything will be back to normal in 3 months from now. Free cash flow and dividents are what really matters ayway and safety always has the highest priority.

:yuck:
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Interested

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:46 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
9Patch wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I don't understand why so many people are hung up on trying to say he was fired.

It appears he was forced to resign.

Call it whatever you want, I call it getting fired.

But why does it matter? Do you have some kind of hatred for the guy? He's gone, why isn't that good enough?

He's probably been told he can jump before he's shoved but I imagine he's getting well paid off by electing to resign

phlswaflyer

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:05 am

Wow-all of this noise of the circumstance of his departure. Call it what you want - he is gone and good riddance. He was given an option/no option and the outcome is the same. What is sickening is that he will no doubt walk away with a ton of blood money. He will never talk about it. Maybe he gets arrested and tried for Invol manslaughter - one can hope. 346 counts have a nice ring to it.

Now that being said, the continuing crime is Calhoun and being made CEO. Another ex GE wonk. What is the freaking fascination with GE? The bigger story NOW is the entire board has closed ranks and will not suffer any consequences for decades of mismanagement and strategic screw-ups. The entire board needs to be cleaned away and that can only happen with an investor uprising, which won't happen as long as the stock does well.

Ideally, the entire board and DM would all share a cell.

timh4000

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:17 am

shankly wrote:
So the guy who gets the job is the guy that said this in October (interview with CNBC following congressional hearings):

“From the vantage point of our board, Dennis has done everything right"

Goldfish bowl

What do you expect them/him to say? Obviously at that point Boeing leadership and the board are going to make these types of statements for damage control purposes and to give off a vibe that everything was under control.

They stayed in that mode as long as they felt they could/should. Most including myself feel this move should have been made months ago. Now atleast they have the ability to really clean house and tackle the crisis much more aggressively rather than the defensive mode they were in. Will they really take it on, and make the structural changes from within, as well as just doing what it takes to get the max back in the skies. Take true responsibility for what initially happened (the fatal accidents) and the many months of attempting to do as little as possible in the way of getting it back in the air while also attempting to point blame at others. Mechanics and pilots may have very well not done as well as they could have BUT it all started from a faulty system they were never made aware of its existence. Had that not happened, even the faulty MCAS system if it was made public, it's much likely there would not have been fatalities and if there was even a grounding it would have been short lived while they ditched MCAS altogether and come up with a far better system. God only knows how far behind the eight ball at this point, and whether or not they aggressively fix these messes, the 777x, the NMA along with the max take the one big hit, take full responsibility and roll up their sleeves and get to work. It may or may not happen, but they at least now have the opportunity.

sadiqutp

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:38 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

But why does it matter? Do you have some kind of hatred for the guy? He's gone, why isn't that good enough?

Simple answer? Curiosity about how much money he will receive as compensation for early termination of contract
Complicated answer? if he was fired (have you read the board members' statement?), for what reason? and would there be any further changes of personnel and protocols to enhance the safety of Boeing's product?
Seems like reasonable questions, don't you think?

TheLunchbox

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:39 am

Where's the blame on McNerney? The MAX was conceived, designed and nearly delivered under his leadership.

Lootess

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:41 am

phlswaflyer wrote:
Wow-all of this noise of the circumstance of his departure. Call it what you want - he is gone and good riddance. He was given an option/no option and the outcome is the same. What is sickening is that he will no doubt walk away with a ton of blood money. He will never talk about it. Maybe he gets arrested and tried for Invol manslaughter - one can hope. 346 counts have a nice ring to it.

Now that being said, the continuing crime is Calhoun and being made CEO. Another ex GE wonk. What is the freaking fascination with GE? The bigger story NOW is the entire board has closed ranks and will not suffer any consequences for decades of mismanagement and strategic screw-ups. The entire board needs to be cleaned away and that can only happen with an investor uprising, which won't happen as long as the stock does well.

Ideally, the entire board and DM would all share a cell.

No one is talking about Larry Kellner, the chairman now. Former Continental CEO before Smisek. He's Calhoun's boss on the board in a sense.

par13del

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:55 am

So the era of Boeing having an engineer at the helm is over, we are back to the tried and true bean counters running the show.
I expect in January clarification on the length of the production halt along with some negative talk about why the former CEO wasted financial resources pumping out MAX a/c at 40+ per month when 10 or 20 would do.

January 14th 2020 will be interesting, I expect the new CEO to provide more guidance on the production halt and whether they will still focus on delivering parked frames versus getting the line back up as fast as possible. A financial person would be the biggest bang for the buck.

RawSushi

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:09 am

F9Animal wrote:
aden23 wrote:
Great news, now let the criminal proceedings begin! Hopefully we can see Muilenberg behind bars by next Christmas.

As much as I am furious with how things went so bad at Boeing.... I think Muilenberg is a scapegoat. I firmly believe Jim McNerney was the start of a chain of messes that happened to this day with his iron fist approach to labor. The outsourcing became massive under McNerney. The 787 should have been the first warning signs of a mess, especially when they rolled out a shell of an airplane. Airplanes and cheap are two combinations that are very poor IMO.

Boeing needs to bring alot of it's work back in house. Bring it's corporate offices back to Seattle, and clean house at the executive level, from top to bottom. Revert back to the days when Boeing produced a great quality product. A CEO replacement will not fix the problem, unless that CEO puts forth a dramatic makeover.

It wasn't outsourced vendors who made those fatal key decisions on MCAS and it sure wasn't them as well who decided not to mention MCAS in the pilot manual!

mjoelnir

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:15 am

rbavfan wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
par13del wrote:
Well if fired his package will be larger unless they intend to go public and show his personal wrong doings, not sure Boeing wants that publicity right now, so legally, he resigned allowing him to get his golden parachute as normal and Boeing to avoid being hit for transparency or lack there of.

Nope. If he was fired his payout would be substantially smaller. He was simply given the opportunity to quit. The “good ole boys” network alive, well, thriving, and conniving!

You realize when he became CEO the 737Max was a frozen design and was just about to start ground testing before the first flight 6 months after he started. While not a fan of him, blaming him for the prior bosses choices is not right either. But I will agree exit packages need to be eliminated if the company is loosing money hand and foot. And they participated in expanding the losses. He has some fault, but quite a way down the list.

You realize, that when the first crash occurred he was CEO. When the flight certification campaign was run, with big changes to MCAS, he was CEO. When the decision was made to hide MCAS from pilots he was CEO. When the decision was made for minimal training on the 737MAX he was CEO. Yes, he did not decide to build it, but under him it was finished.

RawSushi

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:18 am

9Patch wrote:
kayik wrote:
Please have a look at the list of Boeing shareholders, they are either investment companies or mutual funds making up 70%. The rest is held more then 2500 institutions whoever they are. Less the 1% is attributed to real people, DM being the major one. Boeing is Wall Street. They don't even know how many people they have killed. All they know is share price. What do you expect?

People who buy mutual funds are real people.

People who mostly have no idea that the mutual fund they bought into owns Boeing shares.

People who don't have Boeing shareholder voting rights because that's held by the mutual fund managers.

People who are in no position to act on their concerns and beliefs about what Boeing should be doing for their long-term future rather than next quarter's share price.

Redsand187

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:20 am

Dutchy wrote:
Now I hope an engineer will fill this spot and Boeing will become a real engineering firm again, instead of a financial firm happened to build airplanes........

Truthfully, the last thing Boeing needs is an engineer in the CEO role. Not to say a finance guy is any better. You need a strong charismatic visionary leading the company, not some socially awkward dweeb that can do calculus in his sleep.

A good CEO/Leader does nothing tangible that adds value to a company, it is their X-factor that brings it all together so the sum is greater than the parts. Tesla isn't worth more than GM and Ford... almost combined, because Elon knows how to design a good car. Tesla is worth what it's worth because Elon is able to take a very small team and position them to do great things. If you replaced Elon with Nikola Tesla himself, Tesla would not be the company it is today.

Who that guy is in aerospace??? I don't know and I doubt it's a GE accountant, but there is nothing to say that the next great CEO needs a certain set of hard skills.

IADFCO

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:06 am

Dutchy wrote:

[...snip...]

Now I hope an engineer will fill this spot and Boeing will become a real engineering firm again, instead of a financial firm happened to build airplanes........

Agree 200%.

(but what do I know? I am one of those socially awkward dweebs that can do calculus in their sleep :rotfl: )

stasisLAX

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:23 am

DocLightning wrote:
oschkosch wrote:
Thread title needs a change. He was fired, full stop. No words of thanks in the press release to him either.

No, he resigned. Now, the conversation probably went: “We’d like your resignation within one hour, please.” So functionally, there’s little difference, but a resignation is cleaner for both sides.

The Boeing BOD asked for his resignation, thus he resigned "under duress". Adios, Dennis. Pack up your millions and git. :white:

Now, a couple "activist" institutional Boeing investors need to start a shareholder revolt and clean out Boeings equally ineffective board of directors.
Last edited by stasisLAX on Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

MSPNWA

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:25 am

mjoelnir wrote:
When the decision was made to hide MCAS from pilots he was CEO. When the decision was made for minimal training on the 737MAX he was CEO. Yes, he did not decide to build it, but under him it was finished.

Sources for the timeline of both of those?

Revelation

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:38 am

astuteman wrote:
Revelation wrote:
I guess Dennis learn the hard way what happens if you fall behind on your payments to the New York Times.

Joking aside, I remember you commenting on the risks associated with Boeing's "hard line" and whether it would be successful or not.

I guess we have the answer to that question now, and its "not" - as many of us have believed from the outset.

I was playing the role of jester because many a true word is spoken in jest.

My underlying message was that IMO the NYT did a LOT of damage to Dennis's reputation in the article it dropped last week.

Just last month Calhoun said "From the vantage point of our board, Dennis has done everything right from the beginning" (ref: https://www.nbcumv.com/news/cnbc-exclus ... eau-today- ). I don't thing a person goes from viewed as doing everything right to being asked to resign in such a short period without something triggering the change. I think the trigger was the breakdown of the relationship between FAA and Boeing, and I think the NYT piece described it in such a vivid and public way that it was an embarrassment to the Boeing BoD, and that tipped their hand and sealed DM's fate.

The NYT did a long slow roll through pretty much every mistake DM has done since the JT crash, including his embarrassing Congressional testimony that The Economist described as "an ugly mixture of remorse, evasion and swagger", along with his falling out with the FAA Administrator. It also pointed out that his style, that of an introverted bicycling athlete who prefers Diet Mountain Dew to scotch whiskey, just does not mesh well with fellow CEOs. In short, he isn't very well liked by his peers. The NYT is one of a handful of media outlets US CEOs and other elites must tune in to and they do take note of. My take on this article was that it made DM into a social outcast and an embarrassment to the Boeing BoD members.

Not too long ago the Boeing Board stripped away DM's Chairman title and gave it to Calhoun, and told DM he had to focus on getting MAX back in service. Shortly thereafter the FAA Administrator called DM out for using timelines to pressure the FAA and for not providing complete ready to review packages. Then the NYT article publicly chronicles the entire crisis including this fracture in the Boeing-FAA relationship, then DM is made to walk the plank. Seems to me pretty much cause and effect.

I don't see how the same person, Calhoun, can be taken at face value if he goes from saying "From the vantage point of our board, Dennis has done everything right from the beginning" to saying "Under the Company's new leadership, Boeing will operate with a renewed commitment to full transparency, including effective and proactive communication with the FAA, other global regulators and its customers" in his (now former) role as Chairman of the BoD. If you believe one was sincere, you can't believe the other is sincere. DM didn't change, the board's attitude towards DM changed.

This is why I think this is really about DM himself rather than the leopard called Boeing changing its spots and going "open kimono" with the FAA. Note above they used the words "renewed commitment to full transparency" rather than "a new level of increased transparency". They aren't signaling they lack transparency, they are just saying it'll get a renewed commitment, a face lift rather than a heart transplant.

Personally I think the relationship will improve because of the change to a new CEO and there will be more openness but I don't see a fundamental shift coming. I think this is a minor reset in the relationship as opposed to a fundamental change.

Why? Patrick KY of EASA just said a few days ago that he thought EASA would re-certify MAX by end of February so I don't think the grounding is as far from ending as many suggest. I just don't see Ky making up such a statement or doing some dissembling. I think he has been pretty forthright about what EASA needs, and for him to say end of February is likely I believe it's going to be that, or not very far off of that.

I doubt Boeing's board thinks they need to make fundamental changes up and down the company, I think they felt they needed a different guy in the CEO's chair.

Of course, I could be reading this incorrectly, time will tell. I guess the key will be if in a short period of time Boeing drops news of some undisclosed fundamental problem (be it technical or non-technical) like some here suspect is coming. If it happens soon it'll make it easy to blame it all on Dennis, so he'll be dumped not for overall bad job performance but for not disclosing this specific thing. On the other hand if we trundle on till late Feb and the path to RTS becomes clear then my read is more likely to be the correct one.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

KlimaBXsst

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:45 am

The MAX is increasingly the equivalent of poison. Will Calhoun continue to allow the malignancy of the MAX to persist is the true question,

or will he continue to stay the course and continue to try and make the originally planned destination airport as systems go dark and err at flight level 390.

As aviators we know what we would do.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Revelation

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:58 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
It’s nauseating to see that Mullenberg will get an exit package of $26,500,000 with a total payout over the next few years of $58,500,000 !!!

Just another perfect example of what is wrong with US corporate America. He received this payout because he quit, he wouldn’t have gotten it if they fired him. No other employee outside of the C-suite would have been given a heads up to quit or be fired! Do you honestly think if the Director of Marketing of VP of Customer Service at Boeing we’re to get a measly $150,000 payout if they quit, that the company would give them the opportunity to quit? No! They’d fire them and brag about being able to pocket the cash.

This guy laughs his way to the bank while mainline production worker making under $100,000 a year will ultimately bear the brunt of this incompetence of the highest order.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-ous ... on-payout/

Interestingly enough (or not), DM had announced that he would take no bonus from Boeing in 2020 shortly after they dumped him as Chairman of the BoD. Now they get to pay DM $58.5M as you say, and presumably Calhoun did not commit to the same pledge so they also get to pay Calhoun whatever bonuses his contract will establish for him, so Boeing just took an ugly hit on the executive pay front.

WesternDC6B wrote:
Meanwhile... the next several months should prove interesting.

New projects?
Move the office back to Seattle?
NMA?
MOM?
NEO the 757!?!?? :stirthepot: :duck:

Seems we will get not much any time soon. BCA President/CEO Stan Deal is pretty new to his job (and for those flinging poo, he's ex-McDD!). CFO Bell will be acting CEO till Calhoun winds up his previous job responsibilities till early Jan then he's going to have to learn on the job about how to run a huge aerospace company. Not a lot of basis to expect a reshaping of the product line up any time soon, IMO.

I have yet to hear anyone in the media suggest the company is considering a move back to Seattle, it's just as much an a.net creation as 757NEO is.

mjoelnir wrote:
You realize, that when the first crash occurred he was CEO. When the flight certification campaign was run, with big changes to MCAS, he was CEO. When the decision was made to hide MCAS from pilots he was CEO. When the decision was made for minimal training on the 737MAX he was CEO. Yes, he did not decide to build it, but under him it was finished.

I think DM's testimony about how he handled the disclosure of the IMs about MCAS kicking in unexpectedly and misleading the FAA to be a WTF moment. He testified that he glanced at it and sent it to his legal team, presumably because he looked at it as a liability issue. This is the move of a bean counter, not an engineer nor a leader. He should have had the BCA President or BCA Chief Engineer summoned and told to get to the bottom of this ASAP. He's now paying the price for not acting in a way that would have changed the entire plot line early in the story.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

n7371f

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:05 am

This is very simple...

More GE at Boeing long term is bad. Just look at track record of Harry & Jim.

Short term, David might work to calm everything down.

But this company needs to rid itself of the GE/McD influence. Badly.

TTailedTiger

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:09 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
The MAX is increasingly the equivalent of poison. Will Calhoun continue to allow the malignancy of the MAX to persist is the true question,

or will he continue to stay the course and continue to try and make the originally planned destination airport as systems go dark and err at flight level 390.

As aviators we know what we would do.

Good Lord not this again. They are not going to throw the Max in the trash can.

JayinKitsap

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:30 am

Someone to watch on Boeing's BOD, Admiral Richardson (retired), he was the 5th head of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion, with Rickover being the 1st. Later he became CNO. He joined the board last fall. If we start to see Boeing doing things right, it could be because of changes Richardson helped push. DM's exit and the decision to shut down production are big changes in a company that needs it.

KlimaBXsst

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:06 am

Bold but safe changes are a few predictions Calhoun will obviously make.

- Boeing headquarters back to the Northwest but not necessarily in the Seattle Region

- Refocusing 777x goals
- New Engined 767 freighter pursued full steam, pax liner 767 nixed for now
- MAX announcing once and for all MCAS is dropped and Boeing is returning to fail-safe operational technologies, for the Boeing 8.5 model (simplification to one standard type) existing models will be re-engineered to NG standards. Or Boeing 8.5 standards
- Top to bottom examination of Boeing’s engineering outsourcing
- Thorough examination why Boeing has become so immobilized with its technical prowess when engineering does not go as planned.
- Embraer divested or utilized to its full capabilities
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

9Patch

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:11 am

kayik wrote:
9Patch wrote:
kayik wrote:
Please have a look at the list of Boeing shareholders, they are either investment companies or mutual funds making up 70%. The rest is held more then 2500 institutions whoever they are. Less the 1% is attributed to real people, DM being the major one. Boeing is Wall Street. They don't even know how many people they have killed. All they know is share price. What do you expect?

...but they are not shareholders

You obviously don't understand how a mutual fund works.

9Patch

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:26 am

RawSushi wrote:
9Patch wrote:
kayik wrote:

People who mostly have no idea that the mutual fund they bought into owns Boeing shares.

People who don't have Boeing shareholder voting rights because that's held by the mutual fund managers.

People who are in no position to act on their concerns and beliefs about what Boeing should be doing for their long-term future rather than next quarter's share price.

Who do you think owns Airbus shares?

SurlyBonds

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:27 am

F9Animal wrote:
Bring it's [sic] corporate offices back to Seattle....

Why?

Lootess

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:47 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
Bring it's [sic] corporate offices back to Seattle....

Why?

Fan boys want Boeing corporate back in Seattle, when it's just fine being in The Loop in Chicago.

marcelh

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:52 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
Meanwhile... the next several months should prove interesting.

New projects?
Move the office back to Seattle?
NMA?
MOM?
NEO the 757!?!?? :stirthepot: :duck:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

New projects? Boeing has some minor issues to solve....
1. Clear the mess the MAX grounding has caused;
2. Get the 777X into the air and delivered.
To me, that's enough excitement for 2020...

ltbewr

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:52 am

It isn't just the CEO, but likely dozens of executives that need to go at Boeing who for decades developed a culture that was more about money than quality of product, making bad decisions that led to many of their problems as wanted to please their bosses and do whatever it took to keep the stock price and dividends up short term.

While it is easier and symbolic to fire the CEO, as we have seen with airlines over the years, a change in leadership and the culture a CEO can foster can be critical. Recall Gordon Bethune (a former Boeing executive and had a pilots license) with CO and how he turned around that airline to respectability. UA had to push its CEO and other top executives out due to scandals involving the Port Authority of NY & NJ over the 'chairman's flight' to get favorable treatment at EWR as well as turn around declining customer service. DL and WN are admired here for their efficient service and quality executive leadership. Boeing needs to find new executives, perhaps from the airline industry, from manufacturing, with engineering backgrounds and know how to be leaders.

Dutchy

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:56 am

Redsand187 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Truthfully, the last thing Boeing needs is an engineer in the CEO role. Not to say a finance guy is any better. You need a strong charismatic visionary leading the company, not some socially awkward dweeb that can do calculus in his sleep.

A good CEO/Leader does nothing tangible that adds value to a company, it is their X-factor that brings it all together so the sum is greater than the parts. Tesla isn't worth more than GM and Ford... almost combined, because Elon knows how to design a good car. Tesla is worth what it's worth because Elon is able to take a very small team and position them to do great things. If you replaced Elon with Nikola Tesla himself, Tesla would not be the company it is today.

Who that guy is in aerospace??? I don't know and I doubt it's a GE accountant, but there is nothing to say that the next great CEO needs a certain set of hard skills.

Sure, who says that all engineers are socially awkward dweeb that can do calculus in his sleep? What I obviously meant was a CEO which recognizes that Boeing is a technology-driven firm, innovation-driven and thus needs to allocate the money there and needs to listen to engineers and not just to the finance guys. Aviation is a business that needs to take into account the next 25 years, not just the next quarterly results. If I were the CEO of Boeing, I would take the HQ back to Seattle, just to send a very strong message who is important to me. WIll that solve anything? No, not on the short term, but I believe it will solve something in the long term, at least it will take the HQ out of its bubble which seems to be only financial driven and led to this disaster.
A while ago I posted a thread with the question if something is wrong with Boeing's safety culture. And that's the core of things, that is the culture shift which needs to take place, technology-driven first, revenue will come later. Take the pride back into the country, proud to be of the products leaving the floor.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Lootess

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:58 am

ltbewr wrote:
It isn't just the CEO, but likely dozens of executives that need to go at Boeing who for decades developed a culture that was more about money than quality of product, making bad decisions that led to many of their problems as wanted to please their bosses and do whatever it took to keep the stock price and dividends up short term.

While it is easier and symbolic to fire the CEO, as we have seen with airlines over the years, a change in leadership and the culture a CEO can foster can be critical. Recall Gordon Bethune (a former Boeing executive and had a pilots license) with CO and how he turned around that airline to respectability. UA had to push its CEO and other top executives out due to scandals involving the Port Authority of NY & NJ over the 'chairman's flight' to get favorable treatment at EWR as well as turn around declining customer service. DL and WN are admired here for their efficient service and quality executive leadership. Boeing needs to find new executives, perhaps from the airline industry, from manufacturing, with engineering backgrounds and know how to be leaders.

They already cleaned the house of executives, Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO was axed months ago. Larry Kellner, now chairman, was former Continental CEO after Bethune.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:06 am

9Patch wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Nah. If oversight was the problem business can't continue with the same person in charge. The press release is pretty clear, if restoring "confidence," "repair relationships," and demonstrate a "renewed commitment to (...) transparency." are why he had to go, than that is exactly what he stands in the way off. He is probably literally the tip of the iceberg of changes in personal and organisation to to create a load bearing DQA process moving forward. No politics beyond that, and not much of a point in it, as EASA, CAA et al are not going to blindly follow the FAA with the return to service.

Best regards
Thomas

Funny the number of people that think once the FAA approves it, they will be able to fly it to Canada or across the pond.

Funny the number of people that think the EASA and TCCA will never approve it.

It is virtually guaranteed that the max will return to service worldwide. Some extra scrutiny, maybe a detail here or there to change, but it's not like there is anything really wrong with the plane, just one extra system sucked.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

seahawk

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:52 am

Dutchy wrote:
Redsand187 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sure, who says that all engineers are socially awkward dweeb that can do calculus in his sleep? What I obviously meant was a CEO which recognizes that Boeing is a technology-driven firm, innovation-driven and thus needs to allocate the money there and needs to listen to engineers and not just to the finance guys. Aviation is a business that needs to take into account the next 25 years, not just the next quarterly results. If I were the CEO of Boeing, I would take the HQ back to Seattle, just to send a very strong message who is important to me. WIll that solve anything? No, not on the short term, but I believe it will solve something in the long term, at least it will take the HQ out of its bubble which seems to be only financial driven and led to this disaster.
A while ago I posted a thread with the question if something is wrong with Boeing's safety culture. And that's the core of things, that is the culture shift which needs to take place, technology-driven first, revenue will come later. Take the pride back into the country, proud to be of the products leaving the floor.

Engineers suck as high level management and I am saying this as an engineer. At that level your job is to manage people not design things and your job is to deliver a vision and not find solutions on how to reach those visions.

Dutchy

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:07 am

seahawk wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Redsand187 wrote:

Engineers suck as high level management and I am saying this as an engineer. At that level your job is to manage people not design things and your job is to deliver a vision and not find solutions on how to reach those visions.

the point I was trying to make is a simple one, Boeing needs to return to being a technology firm, not a financial firm. Don't care if the CEO is actually an engineer or not, he should have the mindset of an engineer.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

scbriml

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:19 am

Dldiamondboy wrote:
Boeing wants his severance package to hit 2019 results and not 2020. I am sure he will be paid tens of millions in severance. Might as well pile all the loses in 2019.

His remuneration as a result will likely come to tens of millions of dollars. That will barely even show in Boeing's annual accounts in a good year or a bad year. The MAX fiasco has already cost nearly $10billion (probably more when we get 2019 results). A few million for Muilenburg is neither here nor there.

SanDiegoLover wrote:
It’s nauseating to see that Mullenberg will get an exit package of $26,500,000 with a total payout over the next few years of $58,500,000 !!!

I expect it's pretty much standard for any CEO of a large global corporation. The CEO takes the glory when things go well but also takes the smelly end of the stick when things go badly.

A company like Boeing is not going to fire their CEO. His contract will have clauses that protect both sides in the event things go tits-up (as they have). He has a very nice settlement that allows him to disappear quietly without any fuss. The last thing Boeing wants is a bitter ex-employee who will have "lots of dirt" that could be thrown.

Boeing's issues are clearly larger than Muilenburg - he didn't write and approve MCAS, he didn't screw up the KC-767, he didn't blow the door off a 777X. He's the financially comfortable fall guy. Boeing needs to get its house in order, this is a start, but it needs to continue and go much deeper.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NonTechAvLover

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 am

tommy1808 wrote:
It is virtually guaranteed that the max will return to service worldwide. Some extra scrutiny, maybe a detail here or there to change, but it's not like there is anything really wrong with the plane, just one extra system sucked.

Best regards
Thomas

This is not intended to dispute what you are saying, but is simply a question: wouldn’t you have expected the RTS to be smoother and sooner if there was really nothing wrong with the plane except an extra system that sucked? The answer may be that these machines are so complex that changing a system that sucks does normally take 12-15 months. Or that the extra scrutiny, even in the absence of anything else that is wrong, delays the process. But at some point, everyone will start thinking that maybe there is something else that’s wrong. If, on the other hand, the delay is because Boeing tried to stonewall the FAA or sought to pressure the FAA into a quick RTS without being fully cooperative (which backfired and caused more delays), then that is inexcusable. It would have been nice if somebody addressed this issue by saying “MCAS is the sole area of inquiry, the plane is otherwise sound.” Maybe that is what is behind Ky’s comments, but even then it is not clear enough and the lack of clarity causes speculation and, potentially, damage.

Rgds,

keesje

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:52 am

Over the last 2 years I've been questioning the 777X certification process (extremely grandfathered 77W design & requirements).
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1423759 (locked)

I wouldn't be surprized if the 737 certification process review and explosive decompression of the 777X structural test frame, attracted futher concentration. EASA has a strong foot in the door in 777X certification. The launching customers are not US based. Lufthansa is launching customer. Emirates authorities (probably European expats) are closely alligning with EASA.

I wouldn't be surprized if 777X certification realities are slowly sinking in, the board got nervous & it didn't help Dennis. Another "Everything is just fine, nothing to see here" that doesn't go away.

The Boeing PR chief got replaced by a navy guy recently. Congratulations with the new job. Follow the orders & get the job done.
https://www.prweek.com/article/1665742/ ... 7-max-woes
Last edited by keesje on Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

flipdewaf

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:57 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

JT610 happened and you know what, shit happens sometimes and it takes a leader to get through that, as an aircraft manufacturer it was on him to drive the culture and lead in that culture and he failed, he arse covered to save face and so did the engineers (that's how company culture works) rather than being honest and owning up.

ET302 is his to own.....

seahawk wrote:
Some do, some don't. I think it depends on the type of engineer more than anything and the role they play and the way they have to work in those roles. Design engineers (those that show how the 'thing' should be are the type that I wouldn't generally see going in to high level management. The engineer who spends their time between two disciplines of engineering has a greater chance of going to high level but the project engineers, those who don't tend to go in to the detail of the individual parts but need to understand their interplay and the dynamic between the characters in the project teams are more likely.

Dutchy wrote:
he point I was trying to make is a simple one, Boeing needs to return to being a technology firm, not a financial firm. Don't care if the CEO is actually an engineer or not, he should have the mindset of an engineer.
I don't think Boeing (or airbus, embrear, LM) are actually technology companies, they are in supply chain management for the most part, managing a supply chain of technology companies. The difficulty is that it becomes run as a commoditised business run through numbers and you have to derive your USP's through partners and that's very hard to explain to a numbers guy. For me if you put an engineer at the top you need it to be an engineer who has spent time doing projects managing information from engineers to other parts of the business. We all loved Mulally...

Fred

Ertro

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:04 am

Revelation wrote:
Just last month Calhoun said "From the vantage point of our board, Dennis has done everything right from the beginning" (ref: https://www.nbcumv.com/news/cnbc-exclus ... eau-today- ). I don't thing a person goes from viewed as doing everything right to being asked to resign in such a short period without something triggering the change. I think the trigger was the breakdown of the relationship between FAA and Boeing, and I think the NYT piece described it in such a vivid and public way that it was an embarrassment to the Boeing BoD, and that tipped their hand and sealed DM's fate.

The NYT did a long slow roll through pretty much every mistake DM has done since the JT crash, including his embarrassing Congressional testimony that The Economist described as "an ugly mixture of remorse, evasion and swagger", along with his falling out with the FAA Administrator. It also pointed out that his style, that of an introverted bicycling athlete who prefers Diet Mountain Dew to scotch whiskey, just does not mesh well with fellow CEOs. In short, he isn't very well liked by his peers. The NYT is one of a handful of media outlets US CEOs and other elites must tune in to and they do take note of. My take on this article was that it made DM into a social outcast and an embarrassment to the Boeing BoD members.

Wow. Everything is just media's fault. One article has so much power.

Wouldn't much more probable reason why board changed their mind about the CEO would be IF for example would have happened so that at early november CEO was at board meeting telling the whole board optimistic stories how FAA is on track to unground the plane in mid-December and let's keep manufacturing the planes at full speed. Everything is going to the plan, just trust me. etc.. etc...

And when the situation materially changed in a monumental way a month later that changed how the board sees the CEO telling the stories how everything is fine.

If the board would have known already in early november the situation where we are now they would have had an obligation to do something because of it. Since they did not do those things therefore we know that they didn't know it and the new monumental change in material situation came as a surprise to them now just before the firing.

This doesn't sound like something of a reason to fire the CEO for?

tommy1808

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:16 am

NonTechAvLover wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

This is not intended to dispute what you are saying, but is simply a question: wouldn’t you have expected the RTS to be smoother and sooner if there was really nothing wrong with the plane except an extra system that sucked?

Not really, since it sucked really bad, and because that was a layer 8 problem, not manufacturing or materials, there will be extra delay due to the how, what, when and why. But I'd be surprised if they find anything wrong with the plane aside of MCAS and its integration.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

drmlnr1

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:19 am

Schmave wrote:
Perhaps the failure during the recent Starliner launch was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Well it really wasn’t a failure as the capsule met all primary objectives as docking with the station was a secondary objective. I have a feeling the Starliner calamity really was the last stick in the mud. The next question is what will the new ceo do about the max issue
Flying is relaxing!

juliuswong

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:19 am

Curious to know what is Boeing game plane to get their house on order. The 737MAX line is shutdown, NG production has ended, 77X mass production can't start, 77X test aircraft has not offically flown and tested. Their next paycheck are now solely on 767 and 787, and of course other support services and subsidiary income, but still what is their game plan?
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

zoom321

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:27 am

juliuswong wrote:
Curious to know what is Boeing game plane to get their house on order. The 737MAX line is shutdown, NG production has ended, 77X mass production can't start, 77X test aircraft has not offically flown and tested. Their next paycheck are now solely on 767 and 787, and of course other support services and subsidiary income, but still what is their game plan?

Easy, ask for a bailout from the taxpayers as all too big to fail do.

mjoelnir

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:58 am

strfyr51 wrote:
TyroneShoes wrote:

It isn't about Chicago! It's a beautiful area where they are, If you like downtown areas. (I actually don't though I was within Spitting distance of both Boeing and United when I got off the Metra Rail train at Union Station) Boeing's problems are NOT in where they ARE! Just Who they thought they Were!!

It is exactly about Chicago. A sign of unlimited arrogance of a management that is not interested in the daily running of a company, but only in watching the stock market.
The business is in Seattle. the management is two time zones away. They do not get the pulse of the company. It is hardly a wonder that important information just passes them by.

You can not compare it with United, who by definition do not operate in one place.

seahawk

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:32 am

Dutchy wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

the point I was trying to make is a simple one, Boeing needs to return to being a technology firm, not a financial firm. Don't care if the CEO is actually an engineer or not, he should have the mindset of an engineer.

In a mature industry the trade of the CEO matters little and imho no company depends on one person, the company needs a good leadership team which works together well and not one lone leader.

mjoelnir

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:51 am

MSPNWA wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
When the decision was made to hide MCAS from pilots he was CEO. When the decision was made for minimal training on the 737MAX he was CEO. Yes, he did not decide to build it, but under him it was finished.

Sources for the timeline of both of those?

Read up on it, compare the date when he started as the CEO, with the timeline on the 737MAX.

And he was at Boeing all the time, so he should have been well informed starting as the CEO.

astuteman

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:55 am

seahawk wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
seahawk wrote:

In a mature industry the trade of the CEO matters little and imho no company depends on one person, the company needs a good leadership team which works together well and not one lone leader.

I don't agree with your characterisation of the role of the CEO at all.
Cultural transformation starts and ends with the CEO
It's his job to align an effective leadership around him and steer it in the right direction.

Chairman is a different matter. That is indeed a hands-off oversight type of role.
But CEO - the E stands for executive, i.e. one who executes.

You are right though. If a CEO has been an "Engineer" (which most people I suspect associate with "designer") all his life he will be little use as a CEO.

You need someone who understands how the Engineers role fits in to the whole business system

Rgds

flipdewaf

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:01 pm

astuteman wrote:
You are right though. If a CEO has been an "Engineer" (which most people I suspect associate with "designer") all his life he will be little use as a CEO.

You need someone who understands how the Engineers role fits in to the whole business system

Rgds

I'd characterise it as someone who has worked in a heads up role rather than a heads down role.

Fred

Ufsatp

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:07 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
TyroneShoes wrote:

It is exactly about Chicago. A sign of unlimited arrogance of a management that is not interested in the daily running of a company, but only in watching the stock market.
The business is in Seattle. the management is two time zones away. They do not get the pulse of the company. It is hardly a wonder that important information just passes them by.

You can not compare it with United, who by definition do not operate in one place.

They have a rather large factory in the South Carolina. Chicago is in between both.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos