Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Chocolatelover
Topic Author

Please help me to understand aircraft routes

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi, I have never flown. I suffer from debilitating mental illness - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and something called Metaphysical contamination OCD. This causes me to be absolutely unable to have anything to do with things that have even a tenuous link to my father.

For example, if my father had boarded an aircraft at some point in the past, I would be absolutely unable to even go near that aircraft, because I would feel as if it had become contaminated, and therefore it would contaminate me.

My father lives in Manchester and uses Manchester airport to fly to various parts of Europe. I live in the South West and wish to use Bristol airport in fly to Poland and Spain. So I guess I have these questions:

Is there any situation in which a plane that has been used to fly between Manchester and Europe would ever be used to fly between Bristol and Europe? (meaning there would be a chance I might board an aircraft previously boarded by my father)

Is there any situation in which a plane that has been used to fly between Manchester and Europe would ever be used to fly between Manchester and Bristol? (meaning that by going to Bristol airport, there would be a chance I might come within close proximity to an aircraft previously boarded by my father)

Do planes stick to one dedicated route and just go back and forth on that route for their entire lifespan, or do they swap and change routes? etc.

A detailed answer would be so much appreciated - knowledge on this subject may enable me to visit some of my dearest friends. Thank you.

Rossiya747

Re: Please help me to understand aircraft routes

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:19 pm

If it is possible, what were the aircraft registrations of the aircraft? You could track it and know the airline and aircraft so you can avoid that airline. Here's a list of airlines that fly into Bristol but not Manchester: Lauda and Wizz. So you would be better off flying those two airlines from Bristol to Europe. And I hope this isn't a troll post.
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL

DeltaMD90

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:49 pm

If you have no idea, would it matter to you? What if the plane goes to different airports and contaminates every airport? What if those contaminated airports contaminates every other aircraft passing through?

Very few aircraft are put on dedicated routes (777 for an airline may only fly a handful of routes because there aren't many 777s for the airline.) But yeah, any ol A320 can be shuffled around throughout the fleet.

Can you just not, um, think about it at all and just go enjoy your friends? Not trying to be insensitive but it almost seems like you're going out of your way to upset yourself...

destere

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:55 pm

The easiest way to ensure separation is to fly with an airline that doesn't fly from both cities. Planes are not usually assigned to specific routes.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
If you have no idea, would it matter to you? What if the plane goes to different airports and contaminates every airport? What if those contaminated airports contaminates every other aircraft passing through?

Can you just not, um, think about it at all and just go enjoy your friends? Not trying to be insensitive but it almost seems like you're going out of your way to upset yourself...

Mental health isn't a question of logic. It's like telling someone with depression to lighten up. Doesn't work like that. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it fake, or someone simply being difficult. You don't know what someone could be going through.

Jean Leloup

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:05 am

Odd as it may seem to others, good for you for coming on here to look for some info that could help you with your challenges.

Unfortunately, as indicated above, airplanes are essentially never tied to one route. The strategy mentioned above - of looking at airlines that may fly to Bristol but not Manchester, is a really good idea. Another idea, that you could combine with the first one, would be to look to travel on an airline that has newer planes AND doesn't fly to Manchester. If the planes are new, it makes it less likely that a different airline previously owned them and flew them to Manchester!

Good luck in your efforts to find a solution to your situation, and to get to travel as you'd like!

JL
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator and still recovering!

Nicoeddf

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:07 am

Chocolatelover wrote:
Hi, I have never flown. I suffer from debilitating mental illness - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and something called Metaphysical contamination OCD. This causes me to be absolutely unable to have anything to do with things that have even a tenuous link to my father.

For example, if my father had boarded an aircraft at some point in the past, I would be absolutely unable to even go near that aircraft, because I would feel as if it had become contaminated, and therefore it would contaminate me.

My father lives in Manchester and uses Manchester airport to fly to various parts of Europe. I live in the South West and wish to use Bristol airport in fly to Poland and Spain. So I guess I have these questions:

Is there any situation in which a plane that has been used to fly between Manchester and Europe would ever be used to fly between Bristol and Europe? (meaning there would be a chance I might board an aircraft previously boarded by my father)

Is there any situation in which a plane that has been used to fly between Manchester and Europe would ever be used to fly between Manchester and Bristol? (meaning that by going to Bristol airport, there would be a chance I might come within close proximity to an aircraft previously boarded by my father)

Do planes stick to one dedicated route and just go back and forth on that route for their entire lifespan, or do they swap and change routes? etc.

A detailed answer would be so much appreciated - knowledge on this subject may enable me to visit some of my dearest friends. Thank you.

Short answer: If you are looking for certainty, then no. Million possibilities how the same aircraft could have been used by your father.
Planes get shuffles around routes, countries, continents and airlines.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

vheca

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:27 am

Here is hoping that you can make it over to Europe (Not like the UK is not in Europe, mind you)!

I am not going to add anything else re routing etc as it is pretty much been said above.

All the best!

VHECA
PAX on- 300, 312, 320, 380, 722, 732, 733, 73H, 73W, 739, 742, 743, 74C, 752, 753, 762, 789, AB4, CR7, D1C, D28, DHT, F27, L11

B747forever

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:33 am

Chocolatelover wrote:

What if your father has been to the same destination you are flying to? Or what if the airplane your father has flown on to X city, is at Y city you fly into and park next to it? Or what if while you are up in the air an airplane your father has flown on passes by in close proximity of your airplane?

Sorry, but you can make up hundreds of "what if" situations and talk yourself out of ever leaving Bristol. There is no way for you to know 100% that you won't be in close proximity of an airplane your father has been on.
Work Hard, Fly Right

CWL757

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:57 am

Unfortunately it's impossible to garuntee all those things, especially without a list of every route, airline, aircraft, airport (and all aircraft in the airport at the time) and registration your father flew in. I'm no expert on mental health and this question is not stupid by any means and I hate to say it but in all likelihood one of these things will have some form of link unfortunately.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

32andBelow

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:08 am

Just find out what carrier he flies and avoid that carrier. He likely flies the same carrier

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:09 am

Chocolatelover wrote:

As another poster wrote; Mental health isn't a question of logic.
So... here come a planeload of logical observations.

1) At some airports, the nearest aircraft can be within a few metres of you, but the mass of security glass, reinforced concrete and other materials make it abundantly clear that unless you are an authorised passenger on that aircraft, it might as well be on Mars.
In essence I'm speaking from the opposite perspective in that I crave getting up close to aircraft, any aircraft, but modern airports do not allow such an indulgence. On a really bad day, you could pass through the terminal at Bristol, and not even realize there were aircraft nearby. It could be a train station!

2) What is your safe limit (distance wise)? At Bristol Airport, there might be an aircraft previously contaminated by your father but it is at the opposite end of the terminal, maybe a mile away. Would you get upset at that same aircraft overflying your house at an altitude of 5,000 feet (which is also approximately one mile)! If you are prepared to ignore it when it flies over your head, could you do the same at the airport?

3) The best solution, already suggested by some others, is to select an airline that does not serve Manchester at all.
Or, one that serves Manchester, but only with a certain type of aircraft, not used on their Bristol flights.

4) The other solution is to identify an airline with brand new equipment that has been allocated to the Bristol service but has not yet visited too many other airports.

5) But the deeper you examine the problem, the more it becomes a problem.
What if your taxi to the airport was previously used by a Manchester Taxi company?
What if the car you park in an airport car park, is situated near another car that used to be local to Manchester?
What if the check-in clerk used to work out of Manchester Airport?
Do you enjoy Jaffa cakes? Do you know where they are made? Stockport, Manchester M19.

And what about the next glass of water you drink? Somewhere amongst the billions upon billions of water molecules in that glass, will be a molecule of water that was originally drunk by Archimedes, somewhere in Greece 2,200 years ago. And most probably another molecule of water that your own father left behind in the public toilets at a Motorway services somewhere. The thought that every single one of us will be drinking Donald Trump's urine for the next hundred years is enough to drive anybody bonkers. So maybe it's best for all of us not to think about these things too much? :scratchchin:

http://factmyth.com/factoids/we-drink-t ... dah-drank/
Nothing to see here; move along please.

eurotrader85

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:47 am

Agreed with all the posts, don't want to make light of a mental illness ever but if you contrive the situation enough, you could make a tenuous link to anything. But it is for you alone to know how strong a link you want to make the possibility. Even if for say its possible your father was on the plane, assuming its a A320, there is only a small chance you might be sitting in the same seat etc. Only you know where you draw the line in your condition.

A more expensive option you could look into, private jet, or shared private jet. Yes a lot more expensive but tailored to your need a lot more so can fly from Bristol to the most local airport you need in Spain/Poland, its relatively expensive in comparison but if you look into it and speak to providers they often have spare seats when doing certain legs which you can get for a little less, especially if you are willing to be a little flexible where you fly from. e.g. Cardiff, or smaller London airports etc.Sounds extreme but given your situation maybe the premium in cost is worth paying as basically no chance that your father would have graced his presence on the aircraft.

hOMSaR

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:20 pm

I would have thought the most obvious answer for this thread would be: no, there’s no chance that a plane your father flew on would ever serve a route you would fly.

Leave it at that and enjoy your flight.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

tonystan

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:44 pm

There is every probability that any aircraft could have operated from Manchester in routes he could have travelled on and every probability that no aircraft you board at Bristol may have. You simply will never know. Aircraft change ownership, they change continents, they move about all too regularly and many airlines have very complex route structures which could have them all over Europe. You can’t possibly know who has travelled on those aircraft in its time.

I’m not a doctor, psychologist or psychiatrist but whatever happened to you in the past to cause your condition do not allow it to prevent you from traveling as it’s the best education you could ever hope to receive and flying is absolutely the best way to do it.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

BasilFawlty

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:49 pm

The only 'safe' airline from Bristol would be Wizz Air, as they have never served Manchester (yet) nor do they have secondhand aircraft operated by previous airlines to/from Manchester. All other airlines operate to both Bristol and Manchester or have done so in the past. easyJet, Ryanair en TUI would be absolutely out of the question, as they all have bases at both Bristol and Manchester and their aircraft have been unquestionably based at Manchester at some point.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

twicearound

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:36 pm

What about trying an emotional support animal? I hear they're very helpful.

9Patch

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:47 pm

twicearound wrote:
What about trying an emotional support animal? I hear they're very helpful.

Even better:

Rossiya747

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:53 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:
The only 'safe' airline from Bristol would be Wizz Air, as they have never served Manchester (yet) nor do they have secondhand aircraft operated by previous airlines to/from Manchester. All other airlines operate to both Bristol and Manchester or have done so in the past. easyJet, Ryanair en TUI would be absolutely out of the question, as they all have bases at both Bristol and Manchester and their aircraft have been unquestionably based at Manchester at some point.

And Lauda in the near future.
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL

User001

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:27 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:

But MAN has seen several wizz air diverts so he could end up on an aircraft that has diverted to MAN in the past.

I would hazard a guess that due to the airline mix at BRS, the fact someone from Manchester has likely gotten on aircraft using BRS as well as difficult to keep a log of every single aircraft that has visited at MAN in the past its going to be nigh on impossible to get on an aircraft that hasn't been 'contaminated' within his OCD limits.

My main question is though, unless you did some very thorough research into the plane your flying on, how would you know if its been to Manchester or not. Without wanting to sound like I'm making fun of what's clearly a serious issue for you (and I am not) , could, you live within the realms of 'ignorance is bliss'? So unless the crew specifically said the aircraft had been to Manchester, you could easily live without knowing if it had been there or not?

Also a follow up question, why is it critical that the plane had been to Manchester or not? What about the airline? What about a situation where your father extensively used Lufthansa, Ryanair or EasyJet as an example? Given the scenario you describe, surely that would be as big an issue rather than just the destination?

TC957

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:59 pm

Hope not to sound insensitive to ask this, but apart from the potential ( if unlikely ) possibility of flying on the same aircraft as your father did, in what other forms of routine daily life does this condition affect you ?

braynfeeble

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:01 am

I'm sorry to read of your situation. I hope you can gather strength to visit your friends. This is your right as a human being to enjoy life, and the world of travel! Cheers!
♥☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨* ♥☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨*

JetBuddy

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:09 am

Yes, the same plane (within the same airline) could be used on multiple routes.

Find out what airline he uses, then choose a different airline. Then there's no contamination.

Sounds like a difficult issue, hope you get better at coping with it in the future.

I wish you well.

AirKevin

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Chocolatelover wrote:

In most cases, they're flying all different routes all over the place, so you wouldn't really know where it had been. I'll give you an example.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N76528

Here is N76528, a United Airlines Boeing 737-800 that I flew on back in September as United 2364 from Orlando to Denver. You can see this plane bounced around several of United's hubs at EWR, DEN, IAH, SFO, and ORD. On December 20th, it flew from DEN to LAS, and then from LAS to IAH. On the 21st, it did a flight to BZE and back, then from there, went to YYZ, then went to SFO. So there's really no telling where exactly a plane could have gone in the past short of tracking specific aircraft registrations, and even then, you wouldn't even know which plane you'd end up getting until the day of anyway.
Captain Kevin

DeltaMD90

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:48 pm

destere wrote:
Mental health isn't a question of logic. It's like telling someone with depression to lighten up. Doesn't work like that. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it fake, or someone simply being difficult. You don't know what someone could be going through.

Yeah, duh, obviously, but the answer to his question is yes, any aircraft on any route, so why not try and talk him through it (maybe in vain)? Just because mental conditions often go against logic doesn't mean OP is completely devoid of logic.

Basically I'm trying to ask why the aircraft is contaminated? Why not just the seat? Do airports get contaminated? Hopefully we can narrow it down to something manageable (though hopefully it doesn't backfire and contaminate everything)

JamesCousins

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:08 pm

An easy solution I see here would be to fly out of Heathrow if possible exclusively with British Airways - a controversial statement, I know! The reason behind this is as follows:
- BA don't fly European short haul out of Manchester
- BA have a fleet of narrowbody planes that are based almost exclusively out of Heathrow, the only way I could see him having boarding one in normal circumstances would be on MAN to LHR or LHR to MAN flight.

The only other option I can think of is to use the likes of KLM or AirFrance (providing he has never flown to those countries) and take a connecting flight through CDG or AMS airports.

Hope this helps :)
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: W6 A320, W6 A321, EVA 77W, VS 787-9m AS A320, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738, LS 737

afcjets

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:58 pm

afcjets wrote:
Chocolatelover wrote:

Decontaminate the aircraft the same way you decontaminated yourself.

Rossiya747

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Wait. You are related to your father. Does that mean that you are "absolutely unable to have anything to do" with yourself?

817Dreamliiner

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:29 pm

JamesCousins wrote:
An easy solution I see here would be to fly out of Heathrow if possible exclusively with British Airways - a controversial statement, I know! The reason behind this is as follows:
- BA have a fleet of narrowbody planes that are based almost exclusively out of Heathrow, the only way I could see him having boarding one in normal circumstances would be on MAN to LHR or LHR to MAN flight.

The only other option I can think of is to use the likes of KLM or AirFrance (providing he has never flown to those countries) and take a connecting flight through CDG or AMS airports.

Or they can fly from Gatwick seeing as there's no MAN flight and a dedicated LGW fleet with select flights to Europe.
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

afcjets

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Rossiya747 wrote:
Wait. You are related to your father. Does that mean that you are "absolutely unable to have anything to do" with yourself?

That's the point I was making. He has already proven decontamination is possible on himself so it's no big deal, either decontimate any aircraft before boarding, or decontaminate himself after deplaning.

jmc1975

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:22 pm

Wash hands thoroughly

Use hand sanitizer

Eat chocolate

Put your troubles behind you

Have a good flight

User001

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:33 pm

JamesCousins wrote:

That won't work as the majority, if not all, the BA short haul fleet has been through MAN and he says he can't bear to get on an aircraft that's been to MAN.

A fair chunk of the long haul fleet has been through MAN too, so, would also be a no go.

Again, with AF/KL short haul fleet, I would say the vast majority of the fleet has been through MAN as have a few Long haul aircraft too.

See, a lot more difficult than you think!

johns624

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Instead of avoiding doing things due to your conditions, get a good therapist to help you get rid of them.

JayinKitsap

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:57 pm

Fly an A220 route, it wasn't in service until a few years ago

Jean Leloup

Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:05 pm

Someone comes on here and admits that he has a crippling anxiety disorder (for which he is obviously seeking help already), and asks for some concrete information to help him deal with his problem.

Instead, 75 percent of the people responding just try to give him more things to be anxious about, or just straight up tell him to fix himself. Tremendously disappointing to see from this community.

I know this isn't socialskills.net, but you'd think that when someone asks for help, people without anything helpful to say could keep their mouths shut!

-JL

AirKevin

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:25 am

Jean Leloup wrote:
Someone comes on here and admits that he has a crippling anxiety disorder (for which he is obviously seeking help already), and asks for some concrete information to help him deal with his problem.

Instead, 75 percent of the people responding just try to give him more things to be anxious about, or just straight up tell him to fix himself. Tremendously disappointing to see from this community.

I know this isn't socialskills.net, but you'd think that when someone asks for help, people without anything helpful to say could keep their mouths shut!

I mean, not that anybody would try to give him more things to be anxious about, but he asked questions, and those questions were answered. It's not realistic to expect that a plane that passes through Bristol won't necessarily pass through Manchester, and it's definitely not realistic to know ahead of time exactly what plane he would end up on. What else are we supposed to tell him.
Captain Kevin

DeltaMD90

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:42 am

johns624 wrote:
Instead of avoiding doing things due to your conditions, get a good therapist to help you get rid of them.

:checkmark: hopefully OP is. OP, I'm not denying you have these feelings, and can't pretend to relate to them, but you probably admit it is irrational... Beat this! Whatever he may have done to you, you continue to suffer because of it. Beat it, no reason to be afraid of an aircraft he may have once been on!

Jean Leloup wrote:

-JL

No, screw your quitter mentality! I can't speak for everyone on here, I'm sure some are simply making fun of OP, but not everyone. He is coming looking for help... We answered his question, with such little information, most aircraft are probably "contaminated." Should we just give up on him or have him take Tajikistan airlines or some obscure connection just to see his friends? I hope him the best and hope that him talking to us may help him out. I'm going to be understanding but not tapdance around all logic and treat him like a snowflake that can't bear to hear a few things that may make him slightly uncomfortable.

Treat OP like an adult, not a fragile child. There is understanding and then there is being extremely condescending
Last edited by DeltaMD90 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jean Leloup

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:50 am

Ummm... AirKevin and DeltaMD90, I'm obviously not talking about either of you. You both gave sensible replies that were very similar to my own.

Your criticism of me for pointing out the extremely unhelpful nature of several other posts, however, suggets that you didn't actually bother reading the other posts (including mine). Another unhelpful trend on this site.

-JL

DeltaMD90

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:08 am

Jean Leloup wrote:
Ummm... AirKevin and DeltaMD90, I'm obviously not talking about either of you. You both gave sensible replies that were very similar to my own.

Your criticism of me for pointing out the extremely unhelpful nature of several other posts, however, suggets that you didn't actually bother reading the other posts (including mine). Another unhelpful trend on this site.

-JL

Fair enough, I did not get that from your post (or your other post scrolling way back) but if you say so, my apologies. I've dealt with many people with various issues (not in any professional sense, but I've always helped) so it hits home for me. Most importantly, I don't act like an asshole but I can be blunt at times, treating them not as someone completely helpless to whatever they're dealing with.

But, if you are saying we are on the same page, my apologies. I just assumed I was in the 75% ;)

afcjets

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:16 am

Jean Leloup wrote:

-JL

Find one mental health professional that is going to suggest this guy seek out aircraft and routings where there is a 100 percent chance his father hasn't contaminated it in the past by flying on it as a solution to his problem.

A cognitive therapist is going to respond in the same way I did. Show him he and his father are not powerful enough to "contaminate" a plane and every passenger that ever flies on it and disprove his own irrational thoughts with those exact same irrational thoughts. Eventually he might hear it in a way that clicks for him.

zeke

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:08 am

Chocolatelover wrote:

Thank you for sharing this with us, however none of us are really in a position to best answer your question as it’s really a health related questions. It is best to speak to the professionals that have given the diagnosis for the best strategies going forward.

Flying to Poland from Bristol I would suggest Wizz Air as they do not fly to Manchester.

Spain is more difficult however I would suggest Iberia Express from Birmingham.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

B777LRF

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:42 am

No-one can give you any guarantees; there will always be a minute chance your dad has been abord the aircraft you're about to be boarding. Sorry to be blunt about it, but that's the way it is.

Until such time, given it's possible, that your condition has been treated, I'd suggest you buy a car and drive.
Signature. You just read one.

AirKevin

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:48 pm

Jean Leloup wrote:

No, I read them, and I see the following posts that did try to help:
Rossiya747 wrote:
If it is possible, what were the aircraft registrations of the aircraft? You could track it and know the airline and aircraft so you can avoid that airline. Here's a list of airlines that fly into Bristol but not Manchester: Lauda and Wizz. So you would be better off flying those two airlines from Bristol to Europe.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Very few aircraft are put on dedicated routes (777 for an airline may only fly a handful of routes because there aren't many 777s for the airline.) But yeah, any ol A320 can be shuffled around throughout the fleet.

destere wrote:
The easiest way to ensure separation is to fly with an airline that doesn't fly from both cities. Planes are not usually assigned to specific routes.

Jean Leloup wrote:
Unfortunately, as indicated above, airplanes are essentially never tied to one route. The strategy mentioned above - of looking at airlines that may fly to Bristol but not Manchester, is a really good idea. Another idea, that you could combine with the first one, would be to look to travel on an airline that has newer planes AND doesn't fly to Manchester. If the planes are new, it makes it less likely that a different airline previously owned them and flew them to Manchester!

Nicoeddf wrote:
Short answer: If you are looking for certainty, then no. Million possibilities how the same aircraft could have been used by your father.
Planes get shuffles around routes, countries, continents and airlines.

CWL757 wrote:
Unfortunately it's impossible to garuntee all those things, especially without a list of every route, airline, aircraft, airport (and all aircraft in the airport at the time) and registration your father flew in.

eurotrader85 wrote:
A more expensive option you could look into, private jet, or shared private jet. Yes a lot more expensive but tailored to your need a lot more so can fly from Bristol to the most local airport you need in Spain/Poland, its relatively expensive in comparison but if you look into it and speak to providers they often have spare seats when doing certain legs which you can get for a little less, especially if you are willing to be a little flexible where you fly from. e.g. Cardiff, or smaller London airports etc.Sounds extreme but given your situation maybe the premium in cost is worth paying as basically no chance that your father would have graced his presence on the aircraft.

hOMSaR wrote:
I would have thought the most obvious answer for this thread would be: no, there’s no chance that a plane your father flew on would ever serve a route you would fly.

tonystan wrote:
There is every probability that any aircraft could have operated from Manchester in routes he could have travelled on and every probability that no aircraft you board at Bristol may have. You simply will never know. Aircraft change ownership, they change continents, they move about all too regularly and many airlines have very complex route structures which could have them all over Europe. You can’t possibly know who has travelled on those aircraft in its time.

BasilFawlty wrote:

JetBuddy wrote:
Yes, the same plane (within the same airline) could be used on multiple routes.

AirKevin wrote:
In most cases, they're flying all different routes all over the place, so you wouldn't really know where it had been. I'll give you an example.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N76528

Here is N76528, a United Airlines Boeing 737-800 that I flew on back in September as United 2364 from Orlando to Denver. You can see this plane bounced around several of United's hubs at EWR, DEN, IAH, SFO, and ORD. On December 20th, it flew from DEN to LAS, and then from LAS to IAH. On the 21st, it did a flight to BZE and back, then from there, went to YYZ, then went to SFO. So there's really no telling where exactly a plane could have gone in the past short of tracking specific aircraft registrations, and even then, you wouldn't even know which plane you'd end up getting until the day of anyway.

JamesCousins wrote:

817Dreamliiner wrote:
Or they can fly from Gatwick seeing as there's no MAN flight and a dedicated LGW fleet with select flights to Europe.

JayinKitsap wrote:
Fly an A220 route, it wasn't in service until a few years ago

I count 15 out of 32 posts (not including the initial post or any post after and including yours that I responded to) that made some sort of attempt to help, including yours, mine, and DeltaMD90. If the responses I quote above gave him more things to be anxious about, it wasn't so much that anybody was trying as much as it is that this is the reality of airline operations. Yes, that includes my own post. I wasn't trying to criticize anything, just trying to point out that even the responses that did try to help could have unintentionally given him more things to be anxious about.
Captain Kevin

nighthawk

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:55 pm

For those suggesting flying BA because they don't do European short haul from Manchester - bear in mind BA bought out bmi, and they now operate a number of the ex-bmi aircraft, some of which would have been MAN based. It's also entirely possible his father may have flown MAN-LHR, either to get to London, or to connect on to another flight, so just flying BA isnt necessarily an answer.

NiMar

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:01 pm

You know matter is not created nor destroyed, it only changes right? Everyone is "contaminated". I read a cool fact in a book once that every person in Earth has on average 500 atoms in them that were once in Isaac Newton. And from his grandmother, and the beggar in the side alley from his place in London...

migair54

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Air Europa flies to London but not Manchester, so that's a solution. take a Air Europa out of London to Madrid then connect to your final destination via MAD.

David_itl

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Been Air Europa flights at MAN over the years.

Not sure how many Euuropean aitlines havent used MAN but it wont be that many.

Maybe you may need to look for easyJet A321s routes as they"ve not been to MAN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos