Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee
Topic Author

AA Delays Dallas Cowboys

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:16 pm

After Cowboys' most-recent defeat, AA added insult to injury by being unable to move them expeditiously when an aircraft went tech, due to inability to find a plane/pilot combination that would work. At a hub.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowb ... for-hours/

HPRamper

Re: AA Strands Dallas Cowboys

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:25 pm

This honestly isn't surprising to me. During the holiday season the fleet is already stretched thin as a wire, and AA already short on planes because of the MAX issue - add that to the fact that senior pilots can bid out of the holiday season for vacation. Busiest time of year with least flexibility with flight crews.

smokeybandit

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:35 pm

So in the end they had to wait 2 extra hours. The horror.

Revelation

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:40 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

If this delayed their arrival to Monday, then we can say the Cowboys went all day Sunday with no touchdowns!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

alfa164

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:47 pm

I am not sure which organization is suffering from the worst management, planning, and execution - AA or the Dallas Cowboys...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

NonTechAvLover

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:50 pm

Revelation wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

If this delayed their arrival to Monday, then we can say the Cowboys went all day Sunday with no touchdowns!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

And may they not have another one for another week!

bravotango75

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:56 pm

wjcandee wrote:
After Cowboys' most-recent defeat, AA added insult to injury by being unable to move them expeditiously when an aircraft went tech, due to inability to find a plane/pilot combination that would work. At a hub.

Christmas wishes do come true..... :santahat:

ctrabs0114

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:06 pm

wjcandee wrote:

One of the reporters from The Ticket sports radio in Dallas was saying on air yesterday that the team was at the point where they might have had get WN to rescue them if AA hadn't resolved the issue on Sunday. I don't know how true that is, considering there are specific specs for NFL team charters (per the league's CBA) which would rule out WN (I also doubt WN would (1) have two planes/crews available at PHL or (2) have two planes/crews on standby at BWI to ferry up to PHL and on to DAL/DFW). Had that been the case, that would've been the ultimate irony considering both AA and WN are headquartered in North Texas.

The team's buses were stuck at the stadium for three hours until they got the issues resolved. The reporter also mentioned that on some of these charters, AA does have maintenance crews on board in case of an emergency tech situation (again, I'm not sure if that's true; I'm just going by what I heard on the radio yesterday).

Also, I think PHL is a 767/A330 base (soon to be a 787 base once the new batch of Dreamliners arrive to supplant some, if not all, of the 330s based at PHL and CLT), so I don't know how they would've handled tech for a 777. I would think all bases and line stations would have the capabilities of making repairs for any AA plane.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

Runway28L

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:09 pm

So the Callas Dowboys have lost to the Jets twice now this season... :duck:

Revelation

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:11 pm

Runway28L wrote:

Ba Boom! :bigthumbsup:

chepos

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:12 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

One of the reporters from The Ticket sports radio in Dallas was saying on air yesterday that the team was at the point where they might have had get WN to rescue them if AA hadn't resolved the issue on Sunday. I don't know how true that is, considering there are specific specs for NFL team charters (per the league's CBA) which would rule out WN (I also doubt WN would (1) have two planes/crews available at PHL or (2) have two planes/crews on standby at BWI to ferry up to PHL and on to DAL/DFW). Had that been the case, that would've been the ultimate irony considering both AA and WN are headquartered in North Texas.

The team's buses were stuck at the stadium for three hours until they got the issues resolved. The reporter also mentioned that on some of these charters, AA does have maintenance crews on board in case of an emergency tech situation (again, I'm not sure if that's true; I'm just going by what I heard on the radio yesterday).

Also, I think PHL is a 767/A330 base (soon to be a 787 base once the new batch of Dreamliners arrive to supplant some, if not all, of the 330s based at PHL and CLT), so I don't know how they would've handled tech for a 777. I would think all bases and line stations would have the capabilities of making repairs for any AA plane.

PHL does not see the AA 777 on a regular basis, so I am not sure they have the capabilities/parts to repair that equipment type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

jakeroberts212

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:14 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

Where are you getting 2 hours? The article says the game ended just after 7 and they didn't even board until 11pm, so the delay was closer to 4-hours. They had to sit at the stadium they'd just lost at for 3-hours alone.

Devilfish

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:24 pm

This seems like a fitting accompaniment while they're waiting..... :hyper: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD5kS3G1Jkk
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

71Zulu

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Forgot what airline it was but someone posted that years ago an NFL charter went tech and they had no other plane available. A regular scheduled flight had just taken off and the dispatcher called the plane and told them to turn around and land and unload the scheduled passengers, load up the team and fly them to the game. Guess easier to deal with random passengers than a team holding a contract with said airline.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

berari

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Do they even need to go for a match, given that they're going to lose anyway? Let them forfeit.

Boston757

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:53 pm

I remember reading about this and America West was the airline who was called back .

zuckie13

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:55 pm

jakeroberts212 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

Where are you getting 2 hours? The article says the game ended just after 7 and they didn't even board until 11pm, so the delay was closer to 4-hours. They had to sit at the stadium they'd just lost at for 3-hours alone.

AFter the game ends around 7 they go to the locker to change and get bombarded by reporters silly questions and there is probably a food spread or something. Other folks pack up the equipment. After that, they have to drive to the airport and load the plane. They wouldn't have been scheduled to fly until around 9ish probably, so I believe the 2 hour delay.

ctrabs0114

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:55 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

PHL does not see the AA 777 on a regular basis, so I am not sure they have the capabilities/parts to repair that equipment type.

That's what I suspected. That's why I brought up the likelyhood of maintenance staff on board charters like this.

It also sounds like the backup plan if they couldn't get a widebody was a 757, which is also based out of PHL on TATL flights and some hub-to-hub flights to DFW. Then again, there were so many rumors floating around from what the reporter was saying on The Ticket yesterday, I'm not sure what to believe.

Either way, I was stuck at MIA over the summer because our 773 to LAX went tech, as did the backup 773. That was not a fun experience...
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

bradyj23

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 pm

I’m no AA fan but is a 2 hour delay really “stranding” the team? This really seems to be blown way out of proportion. Something broke and a part had to be changed. Things happen regardless of who’s onboard.
But on the other hand it has led to some great jokes so thank you for that.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:43 pm

The plane wasn't going to depart from Lincoln financial field. They were delayed two hours and in heated buses. Not a huge deal here. I get delayed that long all of the time. Plus it was going home it wasn't like they missed anything because of the delay. Nothing seems newsy here to me.

The chiefs equipment being left on the plane that they needed for the game seems alot more news worthy of a story as it could have actually had an impact on the game.

Some millionaires got home a little later than they expected nothing effected the game or anything. Minus a few interns I am sure they are all used to travelling and have lots of expensive items to make a 2 hour delay nothing and very doable.

ikramerica

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:55 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

That's what I suspected. That's why I brought up the likelyhood of maintenance staff on board charters like this.

It also sounds like the backup plan if they couldn't get a widebody was a 757, which is also based out of PHL on TATL flights and some hub-to-hub flights to DFW. Then again, there were so many rumors floating around from what the reporter was saying on The Ticket yesterday, I'm not sure what to believe.

Either way, I was stuck at MIA over the summer because our 773 to LAX went tech, as did the backup 773. That was not a fun experience...

I got you beat. Our family was moving so we were on an AA A300 flight EWR-MIA with 4 cats in the hold. Plane went tech after sitting 90 minutes with no food or drinks even in F, replacement went tech before boarding. Sent everyone home for next morning flight with the cats again (hard luck recaging them after that experience). Flight went tech before boarding but replacement was okay.

AA A300s were fun.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

smokeybandit

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:12 pm

jakeroberts212 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

Teams don't go right from the field at the final gun to the airport. They have a post-game meeting, shower, have press conferences, then go to the airport, hoping all their equipment is loaded.

For instance, the Steelers/Jets game yesterday was over at 3:53pm. The Steelers' flight left at 5:40pm. The Ravens/Browns game was over at 4:05pm. The Ravens' flight left at 6:15pm.

The Cowboys/Eagles game ended at 7:33 pm (started at 4:25pm, game length was 3:08). So theoretically they'd be leaving around 9:15-9:30pm anyway.

EMB170

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:30 pm

ikramerica wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

I got you beat. Our family was moving so we were on an AA A300 flight EWR-MIA with 4 cats in the hold. Plane went tech after sitting 90 minutes with no food or drinks even in F, replacement went tech before boarding. Sent everyone home for next morning flight with the cats again (hard luck recaging them after that experience). Flight went tech before boarding but replacement was okay.

AA A300s were fun.

Good God, the A300 sounds like it was a total lemon! Do I remember correctly in thinking that the AA A300 fleet was so unreliable that sometimes the oxygen masks would randomly deploy?
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

jakeroberts212

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:41 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
jakeroberts212 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

Teams don't go right from the field at the final gun to the airport. They have a post-game meeting, shower, have press conferences, then go to the airport, hoping all their equipment is loaded.

For instance, the Steelers/Jets game yesterday was over at 3:53pm. The Steelers' flight left at 5:40pm. The Ravens/Browns game was over at 4:05pm. The Ravens' flight left at 6:15pm.

The Cowboys/Eagles game ended at 7:33 pm (started at 4:25pm, game length was 3:08). So theoretically they'd be leaving around 9:15-9:30pm anyway.

Okay, pounce on me if you want. But the article explicitly states “they waited three hours at the Eagles stadium.” If they’re doing post-game, showering, whatever after the game they wouldn’t be “waiting” for three hours. Correct me all you want, I’m just going by the article.

STLflyer

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:50 pm

Am I supposed to feel sorry for the Cowboys here? I despise AA, but we've all been delayed, stuck in airports for hours and hours, or been outright canceled and sent to a crappy airport hotel with 8 dollars in meal vouchers if we're lucky. I once spent 9 hours hanging around DTW until the wee hours of the morning, waiting for a WN flight that should've left at 8 PM. Where's my news story?

Shit happens. These guys get paid millions of dollars, they can deal with a few hour delay. "Strands" seems like a bit of an overreaction here.

Aptivaboy

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:02 pm

So, in other words, the motionless plane was still faster than their running backs?

sdf880

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:04 pm

Cowboys did score a touchdown when the plane finally landed!

Delta28L

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Someone’s mad about how lousy the cowboys are playing this season.

smokeybandit

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:17 pm

jakeroberts212 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
jakeroberts212 wrote:

Okay, pounce on me if you want. But the article explicitly states “they waited three hours at the Eagles stadium.” If they’re doing post-game, showering, whatever after the game they wouldn’t be “waiting” for three hours. Correct me all you want, I’m just going by the article.

Touche. Though we all know how news articles get basic facts wrong, or at least misinterpret them. Most people are simply waiting after the game. Only a coach and a couple players do press conferences. So the waiting part technically was true. But most of that waiting they'd have done anyway.

Revelation

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Maybe Jason Garrett used the extra time to look around the airport for the kind of jobs he can find once he gets fired this off season?

Devilfish

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:19 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Also, I think PHL is a 767/A330 base (soon to be a 787 base once the new batch of Dreamliners arrive to supplant some, if not all, of the 330s based at PHL and CLT)

So what went tech...A or B...the report did not say which..... :?

EMB170 wrote:
Good God, the A300 sounds like it was a total lemon!

You're not saying AA still have A300s for charter :wink2: thought those all went out to be parted..... :old: .....

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

N292UX

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:21 pm

N292UX

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Also worth noting that this is Jason Garrett's final flight with the Cowboys on AA ;)

timh4000

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:30 pm

STLflyer wrote:
Am I supposed to feel sorry for the Cowboys here? I despise AA, but we've all been delayed, stuck in airports for hours and hours, or been outright canceled and sent to a crappy airport hotel with 8 dollars in meal vouchers if we're lucky. I once spent 9 hours hanging around DTW until the wee hours of the morning, waiting for a WN flight that should've left at 8 PM. Where's my news story?

Shit happens. These guys get paid millions of dollars, they can deal with a few hour delay. "Strands" seems like a bit of an overreaction here.

My thoughts exactly I was delayed for 8 hrs on the 18th of December. Numerous delays, eventually a flight cancellation, having to rebook the ORF flight and my connection in PHL. Sorry for them, I feel not.

DL757NYC

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:12 am

I know DL handles charter flights of pro teams with top priority. They have a liaison on the flight to make sure everything goes smoothly. Sometimes they leave late at night and have above and below wing staff staying just to accommodate the team. However if the plane went down for tech related issues there certainly would be a delay. Unloading and loading another aircraft and prepping that aircraft would take a minimum of 1-2 hours. There so many things to do. Security checks,cleaning,catering,fuel,lav, maintenance and that’s if the same aircraft is available. If it’s another type then a crew needs to be called in. It’s not like these things can be done within an hour. Especially if it’s at night when things get quiet at the airport. From my experience the baseball charters were after night games. The team would not arrive until after midnight. No airline approaches sports team charters lightly.

johnboy

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:16 am

Honestly, I love the shade of this whole thread.
Well done, OP, well done.

FLALEFTY

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:29 am

For those curious, here is AA9458, the Cowboy's 777 ride home early Monday
morning: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL ... /KPHL/KDFW

ElroyJetson

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:40 am

Poor little Cowpies.....
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

dragon6172

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:42 am

Return flight was at 22000. Seems a low cruise altitude.

Also, according to Flightaware, scheduled departure was 855, actual was 1114. So 2 hour 20 min delay to think about their poor play.
Phrogs Phorever

Antarius

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:25 am

N292UX wrote:

Picture says a thousand words.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

stl07

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:34 am

Ha! American stranded “America’s team”
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

usflyguy

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:46 am

jakeroberts212 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
jakeroberts212 wrote:

So, now a news report is 100% accurate? Was the accompanying graphic an L1011?
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

SocalApproach

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:02 am

why doesn't Jerry Jones buy their own plane since he clearly doesnt want to pay Dak a max contract?

scbriml

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:17 am

First World problems - a two hour delay at an airport now equates to "being stranded"? :crazy: :faint:

Revelation wrote:

Well played, Sir!

Runway28L wrote:

Ditto!

SocalApproach wrote:
why doesn't Jerry Jones buy their own plane since he clearly doesnt want to pay Dak a max contract?

Top work! Not sure if intentional or not, but getting a DC-3 and 737 into a comment about a football team. :bigthumbsup:

Anyway, as bad as the Cowboys are, they're still better than the Redskins. :banghead:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

aemoreira1981

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Revelation wrote:
Maybe Jason Garrett used the extra time to look around the airport for the kind of jobs he can find once he gets fired this off season?

Nothing that allows him to clap incessantly though!

Revelation

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:40 pm

NonTechAvLover wrote:
bourbon wrote:
2. The Cowboys are pathetic

Yes, but there are many other pathetic franchises and they all have a realistic sense of where they are. This is what separates the Cowboys from the rest. They have not won anything in a couple of decades, yet both their owner and fans pretend they are Super Bowl contenders every year. It would have been sad to watch, had it not been so enjoyable....But, Jerry, please keep the owner/manager position you have been executing so convincingly and, while you are at it, please keep Jason as well. You two are due for a breakthrough any season now.

I know this is off topic, but can we keep one thread dedicated to the Cowboys, they give such joy and happiness to so many people...

As someone who is not a Cowboys fan I wish I could say they have been enjoyable to watch, but despite the schadenfreude they still are no fun to watch. This gets amplified because of all the national TV games they get. We want to sit down and see football played at a high level, but the Cowboys make so many stupid mistakes on the field and in the coaching calls and ruin it for all of us. Most of it is on the coaching staff, "The Clapper" in particular. They simply do not get enough out of all the talent they have. Jerry the GM has done a better job than Jason the Coach.

bourbon

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Revelation wrote:
NonTechAvLover wrote:
bourbon wrote:
2. The Cowboys are pathetic

Yes, but there are many other pathetic franchises and they all have a realistic sense of where they are. This is what separates the Cowboys from the rest. They have not won anything in a couple of decades, yet both their owner and fans pretend they are Super Bowl contenders every year. It would have been sad to watch, had it not been so enjoyable....But, Jerry, please keep the owner/manager position you have been executing so convincingly and, while you are at it, please keep Jason as well. You two are due for a breakthrough any season now.

I know this is off topic, but can we keep one thread dedicated to the Cowboys, they give such joy and happiness to so many people...

As someone who is not a Cowboys fan I wish I could say they have been enjoyable to watch, but despite the schadenfreude they still are no fun to watch. This gets amplified because of all the national TV games they get. We want to sit down and see football played at a high level, but the Cowboys make so many stupid mistakes on the field and in the coaching calls and ruin it for all of us. Most of it is on the coaching staff, "The Clapper" in particular. They simply do not get enough out of all the talent they have. Jerry the GM has done a better job than Jason the Coach.

It is all Jerry Jones fault. No coach since Jimmy Johnson (who was having fun on the side with Jerry’s lady) has been successful with the cowboys. Jerry wants all the credit if the cowboys are to be successful. Typical Dallas thing. Stadium is hideous too.

Next time I hope they take the bus.

zeke

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:48 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

An extra two hour wait for a flagship service, sign me up now.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

jupiter2

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:49 pm

I'm still confused as to why anybody cares, I mean it was only the cowgirls f.f.s.

Canuck600

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:54 pm

jakeroberts212 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

The poor overpaid babies

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos