Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AAlaxfan
Topic Author

Minor dies on DL flight LAX-SEA

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:07 am

DL2423. Happened about 5:40PM local time. RIP and prayers to her family.
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/12 ... x-airport/
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

cessna2

Re: Minor dies on DL flight LAX-SEA

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:25 am

Very sad story. I really feel for the family and crew. I can’t imagine what they all must be going through.

smokeybandit

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm

That's awful. Probably some undiagnosed heart defect

steeler83

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:30 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
DL2423. Happened about 5:40PM local time. RIP and prayers to her family.
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/12 ... x-airport/

That link didn't work for me, but I googled it and came up with the story on the LA Times website. Very sad indeed. Prayers to her family, the flight crew, and the EMTs who tried saving her life. Like these EMTs, I have done CPR on another person, and it too did not go well. I certainly feel for them. :(
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

RobertS975

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:42 pm

Looks like the flight did actually take off only to immediately return to LAX.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KLAX/KSEA

The revised DL 2423 didn't take off to SEA until midnight, quite a lengthy delay. I imagine the original aircraft had to be examined by a forensic team unless the unfortunate individual had an obvious cause of death, ie. seizure history and a witnessed seizure etc.

9w748capt

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Very sad! Most 10 year olds don't just go into cardiac arrest. She may have been a chronically ill child with many comorbidities. May she RIP.

chepos

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:38 pm

Very sorry to hear about this, may she rest in peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Alias1024

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:17 pm

I saw the flight land while taxiing for departure. Sobering to know the outcome of the emergency.

RobertS975 wrote:

The revised DL 2423 didn't take off to SEA until midnight, quite a lengthy delay. I imagine the original aircraft had to be examined by a forensic team unless the unfortunate individual had an obvious cause of death, ie. seizure history and a witnessed seizure etc.

Perhaps a recrew as well after such a traumatic event. I would guess that at the very least the flight attendants would have been asked if they wanted to continue or not, since they had direct contact with the child and family and had to manage the situation.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

GatorClark

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:58 am

Alias1024 wrote:
I saw the flight land while taxiing for departure. Sobering to know the outcome of the emergency.

RobertS975 wrote:

Perhaps a recrew as well after such a traumatic event. I would guess that at the very least the flight attendants would have been asked if they wanted to continue or not, since they had direct contact with the child and family and had to manage the situation.

I'm assuming that since the link said passengers were being re accommodated, that the flight ended up being canceled all together.

777Mech

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:03 am

In a great gesture, Delta provided the family grief counselors, accommodations, food and Porsche service to their hotel at LAX.

GatorClark wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:

RobertS975 wrote:

I'm assuming that since the link said passengers were being re accommodated, that the flight ended up being canceled all together.

It wasn't flight was recrewed and departed very late.

lightsaber

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:11 am

Very sad. Personally, the medical reasons should be kept private. I have two healthy children one a year older, one a year younger than this child. A parent's nightmare.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

gatibosgru

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:17 am

My thoughts are with everyone involved, especially the family.
@DadCelo

ThePointblank

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:00 am

The girl is from West Vancouver, British Columbia what was released by the coroner per this article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5409910

NWAESC

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:29 pm

lightsaber wrote:
A parent's nightmare.

No doubt. I’m sure every parent reading this thread feels the same way.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

GatorClark

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:33 pm

777Mech wrote:
In a great gesture, Delta provided the family grief counselors, accommodations, food and Porsche service to their hotel at LAX.

GatorClark wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:

It wasn't flight was recrewed and departed very late.

Ah ok. I stand corrected.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:18 pm

In our wider social circle we had two young males, one quite young the other a close friend, die unexpectedly. It is, obviously, devastating, even almost 50 years later. Families did get some questions answered and even a little comfort knowing likely what had happened. Research and technology was just then giving some understanding of what happens. Mayo clinic offers a current review of this. To some degree it cannot be prevented, although that is not always true.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20047571
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Thibault973

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:37 pm

777Mech wrote:

Who the he** cares for a Porsche service when you just lost a child tho. Sounds tacky to me.

Aaron747

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:41 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
In our wider social circle we had two young males, one quite young the other a close friend, die unexpectedly. It is, obviously, devastating, even almost 50 years later. Families did get some questions answered and even a little comfort knowing likely what had happened. Research and technology was just then giving some understanding of what happens. Mayo clinic offers a current review of this. To some degree it cannot be prevented, although that is not always true.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20047571

Long QT and HCM can be readily identified with testing/screening in an annual checkup, but alas, such things are ruled out due to cost/benefit analysis.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

frmrCapCadet

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:58 pm

The gist of most of the studies I have read is not over treating, limiting activity of young people, medically labeling people as disabled, invasive surgeries, requiring young people to follow unnecessary limitations . No competitive or impact sports. Research goals are to identify the young people most at risk, and most likely to benefit with the least impact on them living their lives. Young people from pre-adolescence (and sometimes earlier) have the right to hear and act on medical information.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

dstblj52

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
777Mech wrote:

Who the he** cares for a Porsche service when you just lost a child tho. Sounds tacky to me.

Well from what Delta most likely had on hand, their choices were, the Porsche, a 2 seater work truck, or a crew van, I think given those options it was the best choice.

Lootess

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:02 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
777Mech wrote:

Uhh okay, you try to waiting for an Uber at LAX.

SocalApproach

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:21 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
777Mech wrote:

You make it sound like a red coat dropped off some free tickets to the Delta Lounge once the jetbridge was reconnected. The point here is “the thought”. DL not only took care of accommodations but also swiftly got them to private transportation. I mean DL could have just let them walk through the circus of terminal 3 through that long underground walkway to go catch a bus to the taxi lot. That to me sounds much more “tacky”. Bravo DL!

hereandthere41

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:29 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
777Mech wrote:

Would you rather DL just send them to the front curb at LAX to fend for a public shuttle and deal with their bags while they're going through the most difficult time of their life?
Take your head out of your *ss. It's the compassionate thing to do so they have as much privacy as possible.

Sancho99504

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:27 pm

hereandthere41 wrote:
Thibault973 wrote:
777Mech wrote:

Would you rather DL just send them to the front curb at LAX to fend for a public shuttle and deal with their bags while they're going through the most difficult time of their life?
Take your head out of your *ss. It's the compassionate thing to do so they have as much privacy as possible.

We deeply regret and are saddened that you are having to deal with such a tragic, stressful and hectic ordeal, but Thibualt973 says deal with it. Now, go walk thru the clusterf*** of T3 and out to the curb and wait for your hotel shuttle. Someone might deliver your bags in 3 days.........

You're kidding, right?
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

Thibault973

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:37 pm

SocalApproach wrote:
Thibault973 wrote:
777Mech wrote:

You make it sound like a red coat dropped off some free tickets to the Delta Lounge once the jetbridge was reconnected. The point here is “the thought”. DL not only took care of accommodations but also swiftly got them to private transportation. I mean DL could have just let them walk through the circus of terminal 3 through that long underground walkway to go catch a bus to the taxi lot. That to me sounds much more “tacky”. Bravo DL!

What’s tacky to me, sorry if I didn’t make myself clear, is mentioning that the car provided was a Porsche. « Car service » would have been better in my books. But Maybe that’s just me.

Sancho99504

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:27 am

Thibault973 wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
Thibault973 wrote:

What’s tacky to me, sorry if I didn’t make myself clear, is mentioning that the car provided was a Porsche. « Car service » would have been better in my books. But Maybe that’s just me.

I can definitely agree with that sentiment. Makes a lot more sense when said like that.
I apologize for jumping on you as well. Re-reading it with the context you added, I get what you were originally trying to say.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

nikeherc

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:35 am

I think we should remember that Delta’s transport service is branded. Airline staff are intrinsically brand conscious. By mentioning Porsche, the airline is letting the public know that Delta did everything they could to assist this family in their time of great loss. If people thought Delta used Uber or called them a cab, they would be asking why Delta didn’t do something better for the family. Terrible situation all around.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

777Mech

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:38 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
Thibault973 wrote:

Delta didn't go to the media saying what they did, I just had first hand knowledge of the steps they took to take care of the family, including letting HVCs walk to their connecting gate and instead letting this family ride in their branded luxury car service, and they didn't even have to do this.

sxf24

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:17 pm

The point discussing what happens post-landing is self promotion. All airlines have response teams to deal with these type of situations and family members are almost always receive similar treatment should they do desire.

I think that talking about how great DL did in this situation insults the family and memory of the child.

SocalApproach

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:32 pm

sxf24 wrote:
I think that talking about how great DL did in this situation insults the family and memory of the child.

Are you aware what website this is? A great deal of conversation in the forums consists of critiquing “X” airline on now they handled a particular situation.

DocLightning

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 pm

How horrible. In 15 years of being a pediatrician, I've never figured out what the "right" thing is to say to a family who just lost a child. There is no right thing to say. I'm glad that the people at DL were able to do everything in their power to not add insult to injury by getting them out of there quickly and privately. This story cuts even deeper because I am a new father. I can't imagine outliving my son.

As for speculation on the cause of death, I will not participate and I'd suggest that nobody else should, either.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

777Mech

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:39 am

sxf24 wrote:
The point discussing what happens post-landing is self promotion. All airlines have response teams to deal with these type of situations and family members are almost always receive similar treatment should they do desire.

So we can only report negative press? Good grief.

sxf24

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 am

777Mech wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

So we can only report negative press? Good grief.

I’m not sure how you drew that conclusion, though this thread sure started with a negative topic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos