Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airporthistory
Topic Author

Pan Am terminal and TWA Flight Center - The early years (with images)

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:26 am

The Pan Am terminal (later Worldport) and the TWA Flight Center were amazing structures from an architectural point of view. From a functional point of view, however, the terminals were not very good, as they did not adjust well to the growth of traffic and paradigm changes (e.g. increased security, larger aircraft, hub-and-spoke, commercial requirements).

Part 5 of my history on JFK Airport focuses on the design of these two iconic passenger terminals: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-5.html

The expansion of both terminals, which took place in the late 60s and early 70s, will come up in Part 7, to be posted soon.

I hope you enjoy!

airporthistory
Topic Author

Re: Pan Am terminal and TWA Flight Center - The early years (with images)

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:18 pm

Forgot to mention, for those who are interested, you can find the previous installments of my history on Idlewild/Kennedy Airport here:

Part 1: [url] https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-1.html [url], about the planning of Idlewild;
Part 2: [url] https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-2.html [url], deals with the opening and early years of operation
Part 3: [url] https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-3.html [url], focuses on International Arrivals Building and dawn of the Jet-Age; and
Part 4: [url] https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-4.html [url], about the first airline terminals, those of UA, DL, EA and AA.

Always happy to get feedback!

Ryanair01

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Thank you, I really enjoyed reading these.

OzarkD9S

Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:57 pm

Love your site, great work. Thanks for posting your updates here, makes it easy to know when new installments are added.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

jfk777

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Excellent archive of JFK history, hope you get us to 1980's.

LAXffDUB

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks for doing that. Many fond memories of the PA Worldport. Does anyone know what happened to the Zodiac sculpture that was on the front of it? I recall it was removed sometime after DL took over and I guess in anticipation of its eventual demolition. My queries to PANYNJ and DL didn't get any response. I wonder if it was put in storage or redisplayed elsewhere.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:05 pm

LAXffDUB wrote:
Thanks for doing that. Many fond memories of the PA Worldport. Does anyone know what happened to the Zodiac sculpture that was on the front of it? I recall it was removed sometime after DL took over and I guess in anticipation of its eventual demolition. My queries to PANYNJ and DL didn't get any response. I wonder if it was put in storage or redisplayed elsewhere.

You're welcome!

Good question about the sculptures! According to this article: https://www.panam.org/global-era/399-hebald-sculptures-at-the-worldport-2, in the early 1990s, the Port Authority put them in storage in a hangar at JFK. According to this article: https://www.brandlandusa.com/2010/03/31/sculptor-milton-hebald-and-the-pan-am-zodiac-at-jfk/, in 2010, the PA confirmed that the sculptures were still in safe storage. I will check with my sources to find out what has happened since.

JAAlbert

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:10 pm

Perfect read for a Sunday morning! What I find most striking about your history is the nearly universal failure of the airlines and airport authority to predict the drastic changes that jet powered aircraft would bring to JFK and the commercial transport industry. The new aircraft would take up more ramp space, require larger lounges, reconfigured terminal space and larger baggage handling facilities. Since the planes flew so much faster, they also arrived and departed more frequently creating an increase in ramp activity as well as passengers flowing through the terminals.

Boeing and Douglas were both busy designing and building their respective jets in the mid-1950s and the airlines were involved to some extent in that process. They knew the size, capacity and speeds of these planes and could have extrapolated from these facts at least some of the changes the jets caused. Yet, it seems no one anticipated these dramatic increases in passengers and ramp activity the jets wrought -- neither the airlines nor the airport authority itself -- and no one made any (effective) plans for the changes that would come. From your article, a number of the late 1950-early 1960 terminals were commissioned at, or after the date the jets were introduced, yet the airlines continued construction of designs based on propeller aircraft, choosing to tweak the original designs, rather than start from scratch. The failure to anticipate and design for these changes led to the less functional, overcrowded terminals we all endured at JFK for decades. And I mean endured. I will never forget my transit through the "World Airport" terminal in 2008, which was then operated by Delta. The terminal shocked me -- hopscotch, style-starved additions tacked onto and over the original graceful design of the building, too small gate areas, and crowds, hordes of people, huddled everywhere. The condition of the building surprised me too, unraveling carpeting, buckets catching leaking rain water, and pigeons(!) flying about and roosting among the ledges. We passengers looked more like refugees fleeing a civil war than folks awaiting a domestic Delta flight. I live on the US west coast and as bad as LAX was at the time, I had never seen anything like the Delta terminal.

Only in the past several years has JFK begun to clean up the mess caused by the original obsolete terminals.

Airlines and airports did a much better job anticipating the 747, and much later the 380 into airport design, perhaps as a result of the disastrous failure to accommodate the first jets in the late 50s, early 60s. I'd love to hear more about what the airlines and airport authorities anticipated when designing these late 1950's JFK terminals, what information they had about the changes jets would bring, or were bringing to the airport, what decisions they made in light of that information as the terminals were being constructed, and why they stuck with their already obsolete designs, rather than start anew.

Can't wait to read the next segment!

TYWoolman

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Excellent! Great work. Was glued to the screen. Looking forward to more! As a child used to observe planes on the Pan Am parking deck. We called it the Pan Am Roof, unless that was the official name. L-1011-500 days!

Spiderguy252

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Seems like a fantastic site.

Bookmarked.
Vahroone

SFOThinker

Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Thank-you! I began using JFK around 1965 and was always struck by the inefficiency and inconvenience of the separate terminals and the separate ticketing lobbies of the foreign carriers in the IAB. ORD’s setup was much more practical. Changing terminals at JFK could be a nightmare in bad weather.
Recall that for many years most inland cities had no or little international direct service, so a change of planes and airlines (and usually terminals) at JFK was necessary to go overseas.
Many of the foreign airline lobbies in the IAB featured striking designs. Quite beautiful to look at, but empty most of the day.

phatfarmlines

Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Thanks. I've enjoyed reading the history of the original Worldport. Was the terminal originally open-air? Looks like nothing between the curbside and the baggage check-in islands.

In the 1973 James Bond film "Live and Let Die", Roger Moore is walking through sliding doors at the Worldport, so an enclosure was later added?

James Bond at the Pan Am Worldport

Source: YouTube from user "Epsilon Process"

cschleic

Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Great site, thanks for the work!

ordpark

Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Fascinating! I remember as a teenager walking around all of those terminal...How things have changed!

Tokushima

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:06 pm

I hardly if ever comment on any posts, but spend hours daily reading on this site. However, I must say that your posts are ALWAYS wonderful and one of the reasons that make this site so worthwhile. This post, as are all of yours, was excellent and I thank you for the fantastic work you do and for the effort you put into them. I look forward to the next one!

FGITD

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:38 pm

JAAlbert wrote:

Boeing and Douglas were both busy designing and building their respective jets in the mid-1950s and the airlines were involved to some extent in that process. They knew the size, capacity and speeds of these planes and could have extrapolated from these facts at least some of the changes the jets caused. Yet, it seems no one anticipated these dramatic increases in passengers and ramp activity the jets wrought -- neither the airlines nor the airport authority itself -- and no one made any (effective) plans for the changes that would come.

It really was a fascinating time period for aviation. The transition from props to jets just took the world by storm. It's amazing the differences, that we're all accustomed to the world now, where any new aircraft introduced will likely be in service for decades. Compared to say, the early 1960s where there were new propliners rolling off the lines that would be outdated and commercially irrelevant literally within months.

Excellent point overall, though I suppose Boeing, Douglas, Convair etc all were in the business of selling jets. Where you flew them and how prepared you were to handle them after that...was on the airlines and airports.

Great series on airport history though.. Would love to see one on BOS someday, but I'm sure everyone here would love to see their local airport as well!

ClipperYankee

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:26 am

Yes, I am aware of all the negatives that have been pointed out over many threads regarding the Worldport but regardless it saddens me that there wasn't some way to save it. Certainly a unique piece of architecture and one that I only got to fly in or out of it just a few times. However, I used to have to go pickup relatives there frequently and one thing I enjoyed as a young automobile driver was how convoluted the ramps were for access to the rooftop parking for the public. It was like a bowl of spaghetti and there were a couple of rather tight turns. Once up there you could be face to face with a PAA 747. Good times.
707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900

JAAlbert

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:37 am

FGITD wrote:
JAAlbert wrote:

Boeing and Douglas were both busy designing and building their respective jets in the mid-1950s and the airlines were involved to some extent in that process. They knew the size, capacity and speeds of these planes and could have extrapolated from these facts at least some of the changes the jets caused. Yet, it seems no one anticipated these dramatic increases in passengers and ramp activity the jets wrought -- neither the airlines nor the airport authority itself -- and no one made any (effective) plans for the changes that would come.

It really was a fascinating time period for aviation. The transition from props to jets just took the world by storm. It's amazing the differences, that we're all accustomed to the world now, where any new aircraft introduced will likely be in service for decades. Compared to say, the early 1960s where there were new propliners rolling off the lines that would be outdated and commercially irrelevant literally within months.

Excellent point overall, though I suppose Boeing, Douglas, Convair etc all were in the business of selling jets. Where you flew them and how prepared you were to handle them after that...was on the airlines and airports.

Great series on airport history though.. Would love to see one on BOS someday, but I'm sure everyone here would love to see their local airport as well!

The introduction of jet aircraft is perhaps the best example of "disruptive innovation," a new product that creates a new market and new value, completely replacing the existing model. If I were an MBA candidate I'd focus my dissertation on the disruptive effect the jet had on commercial aviation, commercial aviation's failure to anticipate and plan for these new aircraft, and what we can learn from the failures.

At some point, somewhere down the line, someone will invent a new mode of transport that will eclipse and replace our current transport model. Transportation will be faster, require a smaller footprint, and cost less than our current system. What that transport will be is anybody's guess today -- but someday, somewhere it will happen. Will we be prepared? Will our leaders anticipate and plan for it?

airporthistory
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:17 am

FGITD wrote:
JAAlbert wrote:

Happy you're enjoying the articles! I have 800 years worth of uploads on over 300 major airports around the world, including fantastic materials on BOS. I will get to it...eventually! :-)

blacksoviet

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:04 am

Does anybody remember which gate Aeromexico used at the Worldport? I remember in 2005, Delta kicked out Aeromexico and they were forced to find a new terminal with a 767 capable gate.

tmu101

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Ah the Worldport. My love for aviation was solidified there in August 1987.

My aunt and uncle and three cousins were relocating from Heidelberg West Germany to Panama (my uncle worked for the government) and had a (deliberate) 6 hour layover at JFK on their way to Florida so we could meet up with them. My family drove out to JFK to meet them (from N. Jersey - it was my first time to go to JFK) and we had a picnic with them on the Pan Am rooftop - watching 747s DC10s and Tristars taking off all day long off of Runway 13R. :cloudnine: as a nearly 11 year old it was the coolest thing until walking around I saw my first Concorde (an Air France bird - just parked on the IAB ramp but nonetheless INCREDIBLY AWESOME for my young mind). That did it and i was hooked on aviation ever since.

Later found out aviation was in my blood. My two uncles were in the air force/ air national guard (as was my dad) and i had a great uncle who flew P40s and P47s during WW2 (was killed over in Italy on a volunteer mission sadly after 99 combat missions - one moreand he'd have been coming home for good in November 1944) so i probably could have surmised I'd have a career of some sorts in aviation. That day in August 1987 sealed the deal for me as they say. 30+ years later I'm an aerospace engineer at Lockheed Martin doing what i absolutely love - I'm very grateful for that. :-)

I've never flown out of JFK (too far from N. Jersey so Newark it was - i LOOOOVE EWR btw! :D ) but the three times I've been out there have been the most memorable spotting experiences I've ever had (once just to watch Concorde take off (two in fact - BA and AF) and another to pick up my mom and sister in 1988 on a trip from Florida - saw a bunch old Eastern Bloc airlines with "exotic" aircraft such as the IL62 at the Worldport. Took longer to get home to N. Jersey from JFK that day than the flight my mom took up from Tampa (hence why we never flew out of there). What incredible memories! :bouncy:

questions

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:01 pm

airporthistory wrote:
The Pan Am terminal (later Worldport) and the TWA Flight Center were amazing structures from an architectural point of view. From a functional point of view, however, the terminals were not very good, as they did not adjust well to the growth of traffic and paradigm changes (e.g. increased security, larger aircraft, hub-and-spoke, commercial requirements).

Part 5 of my history on JFK Airport focuses on the design of these two iconic passenger terminals: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-5.html

The expansion of both terminals, which took place in the late 60s and early 70s, will come up in Part 7, to be posted soon.

I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for posting this.

Re the artwork behind the Pan American sign:

To decorate the windscreen, sculptor Milton Hebald was commisioned to produce a set of bronze works of the 12 signs of the zodiac.

What happened to the collection? Are they still in storage?

https://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/kennedy-airport-statues-gather-dust-amid-push-for-restoration-1.7479662

JAMBOJET

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:23 pm

So interesting! Thanks for sharing all your work!

Cointrin330

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:40 pm

This is just amazing. Thank you for sharing your work on this forum. So much detail, so many photos. This is truly amazing to read.

PB26

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:18 am

Wow! Thank you for interesting article.
And what about National's Sundrome Terminal?
Rio and all South America by Panair do Brasil’s jets.

N649DL

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:22 am

The 1944 proposal was interesting. Kind of an odd mix of the EWR North Terminal and the original PIT terminal.

For the most part, those old terminals had a lot of personality. I still with DL kept the WorldPort around and dumped T-2. Still don't know what went down with that.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am

PB26 wrote:

Thank you, also to all the others for their nice words about my work. This is what's planned for the upcoming installments:

Part 6 covers:
- The Northwest/Braniff/Northeast terminal;
- Other facilities (cargo, hangars, hotels, infrastructure);
- Reception of Terminal City by critics and the flying public; and
- Never built schemes to expand JFK.

Part 7 is focused on:
- Sundrome/National terminal;
- BOAC/BA terminal;
- Expansion of the IAB;
- Expansion of the TWA Flight Center;
- Expansion of the PA terminal; and
- Other expansion projects (i.e. 747 gates at AAs terminal, runway extension).

This will take the story into the early 1970s. Both chapters will contain many images that have never been published before in books or the web.

lesfalls

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am

airporthistory wrote:
PB26 wrote:

Thank you, also to all the others for their nice words about my work. This is what's planned for the upcoming installments:

Part 6 covers:
- The Northwest/Braniff/Northeast terminal;
- Other facilities (cargo, hangars, hotels, infrastructure);
- Reception of Terminal City by critics and the flying public; and
- Never built schemes to expand JFK.

Part 7 is focused on:
- Sundrome/National terminal;
- BOAC/BA terminal;
- Expansion of the IAB;
- Expansion of the TWA Flight Center;
- Expansion of the PA terminal; and
- Other expansion projects (i.e. 747 gates at AAs terminal, runway extension).

This will take the story into the early 1970s. Both chapters will contain many images that have never been published before in books or the web.

Sounds great! Looking forward to it! Will this include then the construction of the Tower Air Terminal and the construction of Pan Am largest hangar at the end of 13R? I hope that you can also include some insight of how it was to spot at JFK at that time as I've heard from spotters at that time that they would get ramp tours easily from the PA Police at the time. Maybe someone could actually confirm that?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

worldtravellib

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:49 am

Great articels. I love them. Thanks

airporthistory
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:31 pm

lesfalls wrote:

Sounds great! Looking forward to it! Will this include then the construction of the Tower Air Terminal and the construction of Pan Am largest hangar at the end of 13R? I hope that you can also include some insight of how it was to spot at JFK at that time as I've heard from spotters at that time that they would get ramp tours easily from the PA Police at the time. Maybe someone could actually confirm that?

Yes, Chapter 7 will address the Tower Air terminal and the PA hangar as well. Regarding spotting, it's not really the focus of the articles. As an airport planner, I tend to stick to my profession. ;-)

Guillaume787

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:42 pm

What a fascinating thread! Great holiday reading! Happy New Year and looking forward to reading the next part!

cokepopper

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:50 pm

What a great post and great links to all the the chapters. What a great trip down memory lane. I’ve enjoyed reading every one and I look forward to the next. Thanks for all your hard work.

rj1385

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Looking at the United gates with the double bridges, and the aircraft doing loops, seems like all was very tight and close positioning.

incitatus

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:01 am

Great articles. Thank you. As someone whose first contact with NY was the IAB in 1991, JFK's history is full of personal meaning.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

blacksoviet

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:52 am

Does anybody remember which Worldport gate Iran Air parked the 747SP at?

I can’t wait to see pictures of the BOAC terminal.

TYWoolman

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:39 am

tmu101 wrote:
Ah the Worldport. My love for aviation was solidified there in August 1987.

My aunt and uncle and three cousins were relocating from Heidelberg West Germany to Panama (my uncle worked for the government) and had a (deliberate) 6 hour layover at JFK on their way to Florida so we could meet up with them. My family drove out to JFK to meet them (from N. Jersey - it was my first time to go to JFK) and we had a picnic with them on the Pan Am rooftop - watching 747s DC10s and Tristars taking off all day long off of Runway 13R. :cloudnine: as a nearly 11 year old it was the coolest thing until walking around I saw my first Concorde (an Air France bird - just parked on the IAB ramp but nonetheless INCREDIBLY AWESOME for my young mind). That did it and i was hooked on aviation ever since.

Later found out aviation was in my blood. My two uncles were in the air force/ air national guard (as was my dad) and i had a great uncle who flew P40s and P47s during WW2 (was killed over in Italy on a volunteer mission sadly after 99 combat missions - one moreand he'd have been coming home for good in November 1944) so i probably could have surmised I'd have a career of some sorts in aviation. That day in August 1987 sealed the deal for me as they say. 30+ years later I'm an aerospace engineer at Lockheed Martin doing what i absolutely love - I'm very grateful for that. :-)

I've never flown out of JFK (too far from N. Jersey so Newark it was - i LOOOOVE EWR btw! :D ) but the three times I've been out there have been the most memorable spotting experiences I've ever had (once just to watch Concorde take off (two in fact - BA and AF) and another to pick up my mom and sister in 1988 on a trip from Florida - saw a bunch old Eastern Bloc airlines with "exotic" aircraft such as the IL62 at the Worldport. Took longer to get home to N. Jersey from JFK that day than the flight my mom took up from Tampa (hence why we never flew out of there). What incredible memories! :bouncy:

Used to watch planes alot on Pan Am rooftop before they put a fence up. Just a guard rail. Amazing to watch the planes take off. So addicting. Amazing how it sparks an interest in some of us. Thank God it did for me. Aviation and airline industry is in my blood and not sure why lol.

TYWoolman

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:57 am

ClipperYankee wrote:
Yes, I am aware of all the negatives that have been pointed out over many threads regarding the Worldport but regardless it saddens me that there wasn't some way to save it. Certainly a unique piece of architecture and one that I only got to fly in or out of it just a few times. However, I used to have to go pickup relatives there frequently and one thing I enjoyed as a young automobile driver was how convoluted the ramps were for access to the rooftop parking for the public. It was like a bowl of spaghetti and there were a couple of rather tight turns. Once up there you could be face to face with a PAA 747. Good times.

Remember exactly what you mean about the ramps.
Good times indeed. "...face to face with a PAA 747." Well said! And I wondered why they couldn't park planes around the worldport structure rather than just have an empty lot. At least utilize the skeletal structure somehow for car/passenger dropoff and pickup for a future terminal project. Would have been great with accent lighting on the structure. Wish Delta saved it. Perhaps there was good reason not to, such as structural integrity issues.

Revelation

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:51 am

Read through all the links above, loved them!

Would be way cool if there was a multi-media app where you could see it all roll out over time from 1947 to present.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos