Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:17 pm

FlyErbil (operated by UR Airlines) is to operate 1x weekly between Copenhagen and Erbil from March to October

https://check-in.dk/ny-irak-rute-fra-koebenhavn/
 
User avatar
SASViking
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:12 pm

SAS will operate A350s on CPH-IAD-CPH (SK925/926) from 07MAR to 31MAR.
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:16 pm

SASViking wrote:
SAS will operate A350s on CPH-IAD-CPH (SK925/926) from 07MAR to 31MAR.


Instead of the planned CPH-PEK flight
 
User avatar
SASViking
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 pm

Someone83 wrote:
SASViking wrote:
SAS will operate A350s on CPH-IAD-CPH (SK925/926) from 07MAR to 31MAR.


Instead of the planned CPH-PEK flight

Yes, due to the China-flights being cancelled due to the Coronavirus. But starting a week later than the planned CPH-PEK. So SAS will likely use that extra week for some additional training flights
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H
 
marcogr12
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:53 pm

AY will also deploy the A350 on limited HEL-CPH routes in June

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
User avatar
SASViking
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:56 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
AY will also deploy the A350 on limited HEL-CPH routes in June

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/

Due to the Euro 2020 game (Football/soccer) between Denmark and Finland in Copenhagen on June 13th
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H
 
Bostrom
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:04 pm

The best use for SAS' 2nd A321LR is GOT-EWR, says Anna Strömwall, the airport manager at GOT. But I have a feeling she might be a bit biased… However, a route to New York is at the top on the list of the airport's most wanted new routes.
 
axelesgg
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:43 pm

SAS published an advert today on Youtube, that seems to have backfired quite a bit. It has been taken down from Youtube but is on other websites.
https://www.adforum.com/creative-work/a ... n-airlines
Fly Draganair
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3564
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 am

axelesgg wrote:
SAS published an advert today on Youtube, that seems to have backfired quite a bit. It has been taken down from Youtube but is on other websites.
https://www.adforum.com/creative-work/a ... n-airlines


"What is truly Scandinavian? Absolutely nothing"

Sums up the SAS onboard service and lounge access policy in a nutshell.
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:14 am

QuawerAir wrote:
Surprisingly, Eurostat updated the route statistics already yesterday even though they usually update them in June/July. Good thing! Here are the top intercontinental routes out of CPH and HEL in 2019 and their load factors. Any "major" changes did not occur but a few notable things are DOH having taken over the 1st place at CPH and HKG as a new entrant.

HELSINKI
Airport - PAX (change) - PLF

1. NRT - 438,270 (+3.0%) - 87.6%
2. BKK - 359,914 (+0.7%) - 89.7%
3. HKG - 351,921 (+26.3%) - 82.7%
4. PVG - 244,101 (+29.6%) - 80.3%
5. DOH - 233,846 (+12.0%) - 67.4%
6. KIX - 223,869 (+38.4%) - 84.7%
7. ICN - 214,982 (-0.9%) - 88.8%
8. SIN - 196,941 (-0.3%) - 86.3%
9. JFK - 180,126 (+2.9%) - 88.0%
10. PEK - 177,432 (-4.9%) - 79.4%
11. NGO - 145,904 (+5.0%) - 77.0%
12. DXB - 133,253 (+12.5%) - 75.3%
13. DEL - 131,907 (+10.9%) - 87.9%
14. ORD - 101,975 (+12.6%) - 85.2%


COPENHAGEN
Airport - PAX (change) - PLF

1. DOH - 400,021 (+26.7%) - 68.2%
2. NYC - 360,078 (-6.8%) - 86.6%
3. DXB - 330,579 (-6.3%) - 76.1%
4. BKK - 261,593 (-2.8%) - 81.6%
5. PEK - 189,228 (+10.8%) - 72.2%
6. YYZ - 169,585 (+3.9%) - 82.7%
7. SFO - 147,640 (-2.5%) - 85.4%
8. ORD - 141,641 (+1.2%) - 78.4%
9. NRT - 140,842 (-4.2%) - 86.1%
10. IAD - 137,490 (+1.0%) - 76.2%
11. PVG - 128,995 (-8.8%) - 79.2%
12. SIN - 124,535 (+3.6%) - 86.8%
13. HKG - 103,756 (+95.2%) - 85.1%
14. DEL - 82,214 (+8.3%) - 80.4%


Is there similar numbers for OSL and ARN as well?
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:40 am

SAS' 36th A320neo, SE-ROH, delivered today.

Owned by: Wilmington Trust SP Services (Dublin) Ltd.
Name: Hallbera Viking

Airbus A320 -251N 9173 SE-ROH SAS delivery 12feb20 XFW-ARN
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:50 am

Someone83 wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
Surprisingly, Eurostat updated the route statistics already yesterday even though they usually update them in June/July. Good thing! Here are the top intercontinental routes out of CPH and HEL in 2019 and their load factors. Any "major" changes did not occur but a few notable things are DOH having taken over the 1st place at CPH and HKG as a new entrant.

HELSINKI
Airport - PAX (change) - PLF

1. NRT - 438,270 (+3.0%) - 87.6%
2. BKK - 359,914 (+0.7%) - 89.7%
3. HKG - 351,921 (+26.3%) - 82.7%
4. PVG - 244,101 (+29.6%) - 80.3%
5. DOH - 233,846 (+12.0%) - 67.4%
6. KIX - 223,869 (+38.4%) - 84.7%
7. ICN - 214,982 (-0.9%) - 88.8%
8. SIN - 196,941 (-0.3%) - 86.3%
9. JFK - 180,126 (+2.9%) - 88.0%
10. PEK - 177,432 (-4.9%) - 79.4%
11. NGO - 145,904 (+5.0%) - 77.0%
12. DXB - 133,253 (+12.5%) - 75.3%
13. DEL - 131,907 (+10.9%) - 87.9%
14. ORD - 101,975 (+12.6%) - 85.2%


COPENHAGEN
Airport - PAX (change) - PLF

1. DOH - 400,021 (+26.7%) - 68.2%
2. NYC - 360,078 (-6.8%) - 86.6%
3. DXB - 330,579 (-6.3%) - 76.1%
4. BKK - 261,593 (-2.8%) - 81.6%
5. PEK - 189,228 (+10.8%) - 72.2%
6. YYZ - 169,585 (+3.9%) - 82.7%
7. SFO - 147,640 (-2.5%) - 85.4%
8. ORD - 141,641 (+1.2%) - 78.4%
9. NRT - 140,842 (-4.2%) - 86.1%
10. IAD - 137,490 (+1.0%) - 76.2%
11. PVG - 128,995 (-8.8%) - 79.2%
12. SIN - 124,535 (+3.6%) - 86.8%
13. HKG - 103,756 (+95.2%) - 85.1%
14. DEL - 82,214 (+8.3%) - 80.4%


Is there similar numbers for OSL and ARN as well?

Yes but the latest available data is Q2/2019 for Sweden and Q3/2019 for Norway. Full-year statistics (2019) are not released yet.

Stats for Sweden
Stats for Norway
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:24 pm

January numbers for CPH

Domestic 104.966 -8,3%
Europe 1.558.720 +1,1%
Intercontinental 299.740 -5,3%
Total 1.963.426 -0,4%
 
factsonly
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:52 pm

TOP 10 Airlines by Departing Seats from Denmark 2019:

1. SAS 7.914.947 seats
2. Norwegian 3.450.687 seats
3. Ryanair 1.741.824 seats
4. Easyjet 980.442 seats
5. KLM 788.985
6. Lufthansa 730.755
7. Norwegian Air Shuttle 629.836
8. Danish Air Transport 537.144
9. British Airways 453.635
10. Finnair 357.493

TOP 10 Routes in Two-Way seats from Denmark 2019:

1. CPH-OSL 2,306,309 seats
2. ARN-CPH 2,261,222
3. AMS-CPH 1,394,826
4. AAL-CPH 1,356,884
5. CPH-LHR 1,267,775
6. CPH-HEL 1,163,475
7. CDG-CPH 964,870
8. CPH-FRA 937,206
9. CPH-LGW 927,288
10. CPH-ZRH 713,778

Source:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... t-denmark/
 
Blerg
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

More bad news for ARN. After discontinuing OTP-ARN until the beginning of the summer season, Tarom has now decided to cut the line in summer as well. Two cities will be linked with a two weekly rotation on Blueair.

I am surprised at how weak demand is between the two cities.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 am

HO decreases HEL from 3 to 1 weekly between 20 Feb and 28 Mar 2020 and thus will be the only carrier flying between Shanghai and Helsinki during the time. Overall, HEL–PVG sees a drop from 10 to just 1 weekly flight. 3-weekly service is scheduled to continue on 29 Mar 2020 and daily service on 25 Apr 2020.

AY resumes daily HEL–PVG service on 1 Mar 2020.

Twitter
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 am

Finnair increases HEL-JFK from 7 to 10 weekly in S20! Additional flights will be operated by A350.

I've waited for this for so long!

Lentoposti
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:32 am

QuawerAir wrote:
Finnair increases HEL-JFK from 7 to 10 weekly in S20! Additional flights will be operated by A350.

I've waited for this for so long!

Lentoposti


What are the departure/arrival times?
 
EK770
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:01 am

AY 015 1715 - 1910 HEL JFK
AY 016 2300 - 1405 JFK HEL

Looking for connecting traffic?
 
Nami
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 pm

More precisely 10 weekly from 4 April onwards, 11 weekly starting from 5 May, and 12 weekly between 8.6.-30.8.2020.

AY will also begin negotiations next week regarding possible layoffs of long-haul pilots due to the coronavirus.
 
MareBorealis
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:35 pm

EK770 wrote:
AY 015 1715 - 1910 HEL JFK
AY 016 2300 - 1405 JFK HEL

Looking for connecting traffic?


Yes, for an example JFK-HEL-NRT/HND works well, both AY and JL available from HEL.

Finally JFK gets AY A359, great news.
 
EK770
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:28 pm

MareBorealis wrote:
EK770 wrote:
AY 015 1715 - 1910 HEL JFK
AY 016 2300 - 1405 JFK HEL

Looking for connecting traffic?


Yes, for an example JFK-HEL-NRT/HND works well, both AY and JL available from HEL.

Finally JFK gets AY A359, great news.



I can’t imagine too many will take the detour to go to NRT/HND via HEL, but maybe to BKK perhaps (although this is well covered by the ME3, TK and other airlines)
 
MareBorealis
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:55 pm

EK770 wrote:
MareBorealis wrote:
EK770 wrote:
AY 015 1715 - 1910 HEL JFK
AY 016 2300 - 1405 JFK HEL

Looking for connecting traffic?


Yes, for an example JFK-HEL-NRT/HND works well, both AY and JL available from HEL.

Finally JFK gets AY A359, great news.



I can’t imagine too many will take the detour to go to NRT/HND via HEL, but maybe to BKK perhaps (although this is well covered by the ME3, TK and other airlines)


Many of us take detours ;) JFK-HEL-HND/NRT actually has a rather competitive total travel time (from 20:55h). Naturally a direct flight is a different product.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:09 pm

Great to see AY expanding in the U.S! Over the past few years, the growth has been rather stunning given that in 2014 (before November), AY had only JFK (+ ORD/AA).

In S20, AY will operate up to 26 weekly flights to the U.S during peak periods:

    JFK: 12 weekly
    ORD: 7 weekly
    SFO: 4 weekly
    LAX: 3 weekly

    W19:
    MIA: 3 weekly

What's next? DFW in S21?
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:07 am

Widerøe has taken delivery of the used Dash-8-100, first in their new livery, similar to the E2s

Dash 8 -103B 540 LN-FVB Widerøe delivery 12-13feb20 YYC-YGQ-YYR-KEF-BOO, C-reg ex C-FXUI
 
HJM
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:30 pm

I wonder if AY seasonal return to YYZ possible?
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:29 pm

HJM wrote:
I wonder if AY seasonal return to YYZ possible?

It's possible but at the moment AY seems to be more willing to expand in the U.S.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 9906
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:37 am

QR703 diverted to CPH for a medical emergency

https://twitter.com/airlivenet/status/1 ... 76608?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
okobjorn
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Landed at CPH today. There were two A343s, an A333 and an A359 SAS planes sitting idle outside the hangars.
Are these the birds that were assigned to Beijing (CPH+ARN) and Shanghai (CPH) + the newly delivered A359?
With SAS' slim longhaul fleet, it looked overwhelming to see four birds sitting idle at the same time...
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:21 pm

okobjorn wrote:
Landed at CPH today. There were two A343s, an A333 and an A359 SAS planes sitting idle outside the hangars.
Are these the birds that were assigned to Beijing (CPH+ARN) and Shanghai (CPH) + the newly delivered A359?
With SAS' slim longhaul fleet, it looked overwhelming to see four birds sitting idle at the same time...


SAS only operates PEK from CPH. Bot the closure of CPH-PEK and CPH-PVG, mens two idle aircraft. After their first A350 was delivered, they also have one spare A340 at the moment
 
User avatar
SASViking
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:56 pm

okobjorn wrote:
Landed at CPH today. There were two A343s, an A333 and an A359 SAS planes sitting idle outside the hangars.
Are these the birds that were assigned to Beijing (CPH+ARN) and Shanghai (CPH) + the newly delivered A359?
With SAS' slim longhaul fleet, it looked overwhelming to see four birds sitting idle at the same time...

One of the A340s must be OY-KBC, it was stranded for 6 days at SFO due to a fault and was ferried empty to CPH where it arrived this morning.

But yes they have one A330 and one A340 as spares due to the China flights being cancelled, which only operates from CPH. SAS only operates EWR, ORD and a seasonal MIA from ARN.
The A350 is indeed SE-RSB (the newest) it has to undergo some technical things aswell as some certifications before entering service to IAD in a few weeks.

Some many idle LH-aircraft is only short term. One A340 was planned as a spare for the A350 for ages, aswell as a spare for the A330s going for heavy maintainance at MLA.
IIRC there's three LH-aircraft leaving the fleet before the summer, one A330 and two A340s
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:12 am

I happened to find some data about O&D passenger flows between HEL and the U.S. Sadly, I could not find more recent data than 2011. The passenger numbers have naturally changed since 2011 but I believe the following cities still make up the list of top unserved U.S markets.

The data is actually for metropolitan areas (for example Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington) but since these metro areas have typically only one major airport (e.g. DFW), I list only the airports instead of metro areas.

Top Unserved Destinations in the U.S from HEL (estimated bi-directional O&D traffic, 2011):
  1. BOS: 13,850
  2. MCO: 11,194
  3. IAD: 10,683
  4. SEA: 7,328
  5. DFW: 6,354

    Brookings, Sabre MI

BOS appears to be the largest unserved market from HEL (at least in 2011). O&D traffic is not high but the route would rely on transfer passengers, similarily to SFO. AA is the 2nd largest carrier at BOS with a market share of 18.54%. AA carried 6.2 Mio passengers to/from BOS, a little less than to/from JFK as a comparison. So, there is some feeder potential.

MCO would definitely be flown as a leisure basis, twice a week would be the maximum. However, I do not see a need for MCO as AY already serves MIA which is located only ca. 240 km away from MCO.

IAD would be a nice addition to AY's U.S network but again, rather low O&D demand and poor connection opportunities out of IAD make the route slightly risky. UA is the dominant carrier while AA serves only CLT, DFW and LAX from IAD.

I think SEA has more potential than IAD and MCO, thanks to Alaska Airlines which has a market share of 42.42% at SEA. Additionally, YVR is only ca. 240 km away from SEA.

The same goes for DFW. Despite the low O&D market, AA provides a substantial number of connections out of DFW which make the route a possible future member of AY's U.S network. As I've said, DFW might be the next U.S destination for AY and may be launched within a year or two.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.
 
fessor
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:45 am

SASViking wrote:
okobjorn wrote:
Landed at CPH today. There were two A343s, an A333 and an A359 SAS planes sitting idle outside the hangars.
Are these the birds that were assigned to Beijing (CPH+ARN) and Shanghai (CPH) + the newly delivered A359?
With SAS' slim longhaul fleet, it looked overwhelming to see four birds sitting idle at the same time...

One of the A340s must be OY-KBC, it was stranded for 6 days at SFO due to a fault and was ferried empty to CPH where it arrived this morning.

But yes they have one A330 and one A340 as spares due to the China flights being cancelled, which only operates from CPH. SAS only operates EWR, ORD and a seasonal MIA from ARN.
The A350 is indeed SE-RSB (the newest) it has to undergo some technical things aswell as some certifications before entering service to IAD in a few weeks.

Some many idle LH-aircraft is only short term. One A340 was planned as a spare for the A350 for ages, aswell as a spare for the A330s going for heavy maintainance at MLA.
IIRC there's three LH-aircraft leaving the fleet before the summer, one A330 and two A340s


I'm a bit surprised that an A330 will leave the fleet
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:53 am

fessor wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that an A330 will leave the fleet


Maybe one coming off an "expensive" lease? That said, they are getting 8 A350-900s, and only has 7 A340-300s to replace
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:55 am

With G-FBXD having left ARN, FlyBe's ATR flying for SAS has now ended. As it was the last FlyBe aircraft wetleased to SAS

ATR 72 212A(600) 1315 G-FBXD flyBe ferried 14feb20 ARN-LFBF after wet-lease to SAS
 
minilinde
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:16 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:28 am

QuawerAir wrote:
I happened to find some data about O&D passenger flows between HEL and the U.S. Sadly, I could not find more recent data than 2011. The passenger numbers have naturally changed since 2011 but I believe the following cities still make up the list of top unserved U.S markets.

The data is actually for metropolitan areas (for example Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington) but since these metro areas have typically only one major airport (e.g. DFW), I list only the airports instead of metro areas.

Top Unserved Destinations in the U.S from HEL (estimated bi-directional O&D traffic, 2011):
  1. BOS: 13,850
  2. MCO: 11,194
  3. IAD: 10,683
  4. SEA: 7,328
  5. DFW: 6,354

    Brookings, Sabre MI

BOS appears to be the largest unserved market from HEL (at least in 2011). O&D traffic is not high but the route would rely on transfer passengers, similarily to SFO. AA is the 2nd largest carrier at BOS with a market share of 18.54%. AA carried 6.2 Mio passengers to/from BOS, a little less than to/from JFK as a comparison. So, there is some feeder potential.

MCO would definitely be flown as a leisure basis, twice a week would be the maximum. However, I do not see a need for MCO as AY already serves MIA which is located only ca. 240 km away from MCO.

IAD would be a nice addition to AY's U.S network but again, rather low O&D demand and poor connection opportunities out of IAD make the route slightly risky. UA is the dominant carrier while AA serves only CLT, DFW and LAX from IAD.

I think SEA has more potential than IAD and MCO, thanks to Alaska Airlines which has a market share of 42.42% at SEA. Additionally, YVR is only ca. 240 km away from SEA.

The same goes for DFW. Despite the low O&D market, AA provides a substantial number of connections out of DFW which make the route a possible future member of AY's U.S network. As I've said, DFW might be the next U.S destination for AY and may be launched within a year or two.


Top 20 O&D's for 2019 (HEL-US/CA):
JFK 87.001
MIA 44.173
LAX 40.015
SFO 28.737
ORD 27.955
YYZ 17.537
BOS 16.967
IAD 14.256
EWR 11.203
SEA 10.847
MCO 9.632
YVR 7.724
YUL 7.500
DFW 6.666
ATL 6.335
DEN 5.723
FLL 5.507
MSP 5.393
LAS 4.250
IAH 4.099

YYZ or BOS seems like a safer bet than IAD/SEA etc, due to shorter distance, thus lower cost.
Types flown: A318, A319, A320, A321, A32N, A333, A343, A359, A380, AT42, AT72, B717, B733, B735, B736, B737, B738, B739, B744, B748, B763, B772, B773, B788, B789, CRJ2, CRJ9, ERJ190, MD80s/90, RJ100
 
fessor
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:46 am

Someone83 wrote:
fessor wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that an A330 will leave the fleet


Maybe one coming off an "expensive" lease? That said, they are getting 8 A350-900s, and only has 7 A340-300s to replace


That's true, but when order was placed they had 8 A340s then later they ordered one A330 more.
It's the first time I heard anything about retirement of an A330.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:47 am

minilinde wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
I happened to find some data about O&D passenger flows between HEL and the U.S. Sadly, I could not find more recent data than 2011. The passenger numbers have naturally changed since 2011 but I believe the following cities still make up the list of top unserved U.S markets.

The data is actually for metropolitan areas (for example Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington) but since these metro areas have typically only one major airport (e.g. DFW), I list only the airports instead of metro areas.

Top Unserved Destinations in the U.S from HEL (estimated bi-directional O&D traffic, 2011):
  1. BOS: 13,850
  2. MCO: 11,194
  3. IAD: 10,683
  4. SEA: 7,328
  5. DFW: 6,354

    Brookings, Sabre MI

BOS appears to be the largest unserved market from HEL (at least in 2011). O&D traffic is not high but the route would rely on transfer passengers, similarily to SFO. AA is the 2nd largest carrier at BOS with a market share of 18.54%. AA carried 6.2 Mio passengers to/from BOS, a little less than to/from JFK as a comparison. So, there is some feeder potential.

MCO would definitely be flown as a leisure basis, twice a week would be the maximum. However, I do not see a need for MCO as AY already serves MIA which is located only ca. 240 km away from MCO.

IAD would be a nice addition to AY's U.S network but again, rather low O&D demand and poor connection opportunities out of IAD make the route slightly risky. UA is the dominant carrier while AA serves only CLT, DFW and LAX from IAD.

I think SEA has more potential than IAD and MCO, thanks to Alaska Airlines which has a market share of 42.42% at SEA. Additionally, YVR is only ca. 240 km away from SEA.

The same goes for DFW. Despite the low O&D market, AA provides a substantial number of connections out of DFW which make the route a possible future member of AY's U.S network. As I've said, DFW might be the next U.S destination for AY and may be launched within a year or two.


Top 20 O&D's for 2019 (HEL-US/CA):
JFK 87.001
MIA 44.173
LAX 40.015
SFO 28.737
ORD 27.955
YYZ 17.537
BOS 16.967
IAD 14.256
EWR 11.203
SEA 10.847
MCO 9.632
YVR 7.724
YUL 7.500
DFW 6.666
ATL 6.335
DEN 5.723
FLL 5.507
MSP 5.393
LAS 4.250
IAH 4.099

YYZ or BOS seems like a safer bet than IAD/SEA etc, due to shorter distance, thus lower cost.

Thank you! Where did you find these figures? Great to see traffic to BOS, SEA and IAD having grown since 2011. It's also worth mentioning that O&D traffic to LAX has nearly doubled since 2017 (24,450).
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:50 am

fessor wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
fessor wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that an A330 will leave the fleet


Maybe one coming off an "expensive" lease? That said, they are getting 8 A350-900s, and only has 7 A340-300s to replace


That's true, but when order was placed they had 8 A340s then later they ordered one A330 more.
It's the first time I heard anything about retirement of an A330.


Yes, but the 8th A340-300 (and oddball in the fleet) was replaced by a new A330-300 last year
 
fessor
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:51 am

Someone83 wrote:
fessor wrote:
Someone83 wrote:

Maybe one coming off an "expensive" lease? That said, they are getting 8 A350-900s, and only has 7 A340-300s to replace


That's true, but when order was placed they had 8 A340s then later they ordered one A330 more.
It's the first time I heard anything about retirement of an A330.


Yes, but the 8th A340-300 (and oddball in the fleet) was replaced by a new A330-300 last year


Still its the first time i hear about retirement of an A330.
Also checked in airfleets only 3 of them is noted as leased and thats 2 from 2015 and the one delivered in 2019.
 
minilinde
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:16 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:55 am

QuawerAir wrote:
Thank you! Where did you find these figures? Great to see traffic to BOS, SEA and IAD having grown since 2011. It's also worth mentioning that O&D traffic to LAX has nearly doubled since 2017 (24,450).


I have access to IATA's O&D database for Northern Europe through my employer. These figures are estimates though, since some airlines don't report there numbers (such as Norwegian..). AY does on the other hand, so they should be correct when looking at HEL-US/CA routes.
Types flown: A318, A319, A320, A321, A32N, A333, A343, A359, A380, AT42, AT72, B717, B733, B735, B736, B737, B738, B739, B744, B748, B763, B772, B773, B788, B789, CRJ2, CRJ9, ERJ190, MD80s/90, RJ100
 
minilinde
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:16 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 am

fessor wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
fessor wrote:

That's true, but when order was placed they had 8 A340s then later they ordered one A330 more.
It's the first time I heard anything about retirement of an A330.


Yes, but the 8th A340-300 (and oddball in the fleet) was replaced by a new A330-300 last year


Still its the first time i hear about retirement of an A330.
Also checked in airfleets only 3 of them is noted as leased and thats 2 from 2015 and the one delivered in 2019.


The older A330A's (non enhanced) are all approaching retirement. Delivered between 2002 and 2004, they are about 17 years old. First of these to retire are probably in 2021.
Regs on the A33A:
LN-RKM msn 496
LN-RKH msn 497
LN-RKO msn 515
LN-RKN msn 568
Types flown: A318, A319, A320, A321, A32N, A333, A343, A359, A380, AT42, AT72, B717, B733, B735, B736, B737, B738, B739, B744, B748, B763, B772, B773, B788, B789, CRJ2, CRJ9, ERJ190, MD80s/90, RJ100
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:31 am

fessor wrote:
Also checked in airfleets only 3 of them is noted as leased and thats 2 from 2015 and the one delivered in 2019.


I don't fully trust airfleets here and think they are completely accurate here
 
fessor
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:52 am

According to SAS the 5 newest is leased and 1 A340
Planespotter says 6 A330 is leased and non A340
 
EFHK
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:52 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:52 am

QuawerAir wrote:
It's also worth mentioning that O&D traffic to LAX has nearly doubled since 2017 (24,450).


That's an obvious result of the new nonstop flight having opened up. Once you get these big marketing campaigns advertising return flights for under 500€, demand will naturally be picking up. Remember, just the 3x weekly nonstop flights themselves create about 45,000 yearly seats. I've done myself a couple of round trips to LAX since the route has opened, that I would not have done otherwise without the low prices available.

I do a few round trips to the Central US each spring, and often would ideally fly to places like DFW, STL, OKC. However, return flights to these destinations usually run around 1000€ each. With the direct flights to ORD, I can usually get them around 500€ when I want, so naturally my demand will be directed towards Chicago as a destination now. Needless to say, I'd love to see a DFW flight, but based on these numbers it's a bit hard to see that happening. One can always hope!

Especially now if China demand continues to lag, I could see flights added to BOS, YYZ, and even SEA is much more likely now that AS will be joining OW. MCO could work if the majority of the seats would be sold to a tour operator (e.g. Aurinkomatkat) organizing theme park package vacations. On the other hand, IAD area has the DCA AA FF base.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:36 am

minilinde wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
Thank you! Where did you find these figures? Great to see traffic to BOS, SEA and IAD having grown since 2011. It's also worth mentioning that O&D traffic to LAX has nearly doubled since 2017 (24,450).


I have access to IATA's O&D database for Northern Europe through my employer. These figures are estimates though, since some airlines don't report there numbers (such as Norwegian..). AY does on the other hand, so they should be correct when looking at HEL-US/CA routes.

Lucky you! I wish I had access to such data.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.
 
marcogr12
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm

I visited Bergen the other day and chose to fly with the all new E2-190 of Widerøe from MUC..Excellent plane..Looking at BGO i was wondering how the 2biggest LCCs in europe have not set foot there yet? Esp.FR could connect BGO to numerous cities in Europe, seasonally and not, but also Easy could fly from its eurobases..I also noticed the total absence of LH and connecting flights to FRA,MUC hubs.. ! They fly to TOS but not BGO.. How is this possible? Not even on a CR9 cs with SK.They have left the connection game all to KL,SK and AF...Whats up with that?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Widerøe is cutting 4000 yearly flights on the short runway network. Which is 15% of their commercial routes, or about 3,5% of their total flights.

The reasons are:

- Increase in fees and taxes over years
- Norwegian Krone (NOK) has lost it's value lately.

Business interest organizations and locals in Northern parts of Norway are not very happy with this direction, comparing it as closing down the metro system in Oslo. Many smaller communities in the North use the short field network as the link to the rest of the world.

Links in Norwegian:

https://e24.no/naeringsliv/i/rA1W78/fry ... ringslivet
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/g ... nen-i-oslo
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/r ... ene-kuttes
 
Someone83
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Pegasus will be flying 1x weekly from Antalya to both Norrkoping and Skelleftea the coming Summer

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... rk-in-s20/

Antalya – Norrkoping eff 12JUN20 1 weekly A320
PC5597 AYT1140 – 1440NRK 320 5
PC5598 NRK1540 – 2030AYT 320 5

Antalya – Skelleftea eff 25JUN20 1 weekly A320
PC5403 AYT1400 – 1740SFT 320 4
PC5404 SFT1840 – 0015+1AYT 320 4
 
minilinde
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:16 am

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2020

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:28 am

SAS has released ticket sales for AAL-, CPH-, and LHR-SCR (Sälen) for next winter. First flight will be LHR-SCR on 26th of December 2020. All flights will be on A320neo aircraft

Travelperiod:
AAL: 27DEC20 - 4APR21
CPH: 27DEC20 - 4APR21
LHR: 26DEC20 - 3APR21

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/scandinavi ... 21-2973233
Types flown: A318, A319, A320, A321, A32N, A333, A343, A359, A380, AT42, AT72, B717, B733, B735, B736, B737, B738, B739, B744, B748, B763, B772, B773, B788, B789, CRJ2, CRJ9, ERJ190, MD80s/90, RJ100

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos