Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 am

I wonder if AA would consider a second daily PHX-LHR flight. LAX gets two daily despite AA being much smaller there.

Ishrion

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am

PHXWRLD wrote:
I wonder if AA would consider a second daily PHX-LHR flight. LAX gets two daily despite AA being much smaller there.

Because there’s way more O&D traffic at LAX compared to PHX. How many flights are there between LAX and LON? Over 8 in a day?

Cointrin330

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:15 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
AA operated the final ORD-NRT flight today on their metal.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/aa153

Sad, hopefully they will start PHX-NRT to compensate.

AA is all but closing down NRT. The only remaining NRT route from the US in 2020 will be one of the DFW-Tokyo flights. Everything else is moving to HND, where slots are restricted and tough to come by. PHX-NRT/HND is highly unlikely.

phxtristar

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:07 pm

[quote="PHXWRLD"]It’s almost 2020, so let’s get the American Airlines Network Thread started!

I feel the Dark Horse for AA is PHX.......(with Oneworld) AA can use a daily 787 to Tokyo and Sydney.
CLT should get A319 to ELP....big Govt/Military on both ends and gives Delta a run on their ATL/Southeast market
and introduce some Latin America routes to PTY/BOG/LIM (Examples)
For MIA, I would Love to see South Africa with 787

iyerhari

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:34 pm

AA has introduced the following adds for BOS.

AUS, LHR
Seasonal: EYW, GCM, NAS

Any chance for AA to expand to other markets or have a smaller version of a focus city at BOS in 2020?

DoctorVenkman

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:25 pm

Los Angeles metro area is about 4x bigger than Phoenix metro area, and attracts 5x as many international tourists. The current number of LAX-LON and PHX-LON flights follows this proportion pretty closely. The idea that PHX could support as many flights to London as LAX is simply ridiculous based on nothing but wishful thinking.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
Los Angeles metro area is about 4x bigger than Phoenix metro area, and attracts 5x as many international tourists. The current number of LAX-LON and PHX-LON flights follows this proportion pretty closely. The idea that PHX could support as many flights to London as LAX is simply ridiculous based on nothing but wishful thinking.

5x is generous. It’s probably 10-12x more.
a.

United_fan

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:45 pm

We had Eagle CR7 service ROC-DFW years ago. Maybe it could be added in the future. ROC-PHL mainline was rumored ,but never happened.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

DoctorVenkman

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:55 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:

The figures I've seen are about 7.5M international tourists in Los Angeles and 1.6M international tourists in Phoenix. I haven't seen a split by country/region so it's possible that tourists from the UK to LAX are 10x PHX, but I haven't seen any evidence to indicate that either.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:34 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:

The figures I've seen are about 7.5M international tourists in Los Angeles and 1.6M international tourists in Phoenix. I haven't seen a split by country/region so it's possible that tourists from the UK to LAX are 10x PHX, but I haven't seen any evidence to indicate that either.

We are conflating international and overseas. Probably 65%+ of Phoenix international visitors are from Canada. Phoenix is insanely popular with Western Canadian tourists, it’s to Western Canada what Miami is to Eastern Canada.

I’d even guess 10x is generous. LA I bet sees closer to 20x more overseas visitors. Phoenix is popular with Germans and some Brits and that’s about it, and even at that, they are using Phoenix as a gateway to the Grand Canyon, not actually visiting Phoenix.
a.

MalcolmInTheMoM

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Maybe AA could beat out UA and DL in adding a transcon route from LAX to JAX, which is a growing airport looking for West Coast service.

Cointrin330

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:55 pm

chepos wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

Thanks. Interesting that they tried it at a time when the economy was collapsing and haven't returned to it since.

Yeah the timing of the service was quite bizarre. It might have been Summer 2008 when they attempted the service-I can't remember but it was either 2008/2009. YVR (as well as travel to Alaska/Alaskan cruises) has really taken off within the 5 years or so, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another go of it, from CLT or PHL.

They flew PHL-ANC for a couple of seasons as well with an 752.

PHL ANC was short lived, it operated I believe in the summer of 2010 with an Envoy configured 757.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And thus a US Airways route, as AA/US didn't merge until 2013.

Cointrin330

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:57 pm

iyerhari wrote:
AA has introduced the following adds for BOS.

AUS, LHR
Seasonal: EYW, GCM, NAS

Any chance for AA to expand to other markets or have a smaller version of a focus city at BOS in 2020?

Would be great to see AA add BOS-CDG back. They flew BOS-ORY (not sure if it lasted into CDG, as AA was the last of the US carriers to move their flights to CDG (CO, DL served ORY before operating at CDG) but unlikely, given DL/AF have it pretty much covered.

chepos

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
chepos wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
Yeah the timing of the service was quite bizarre. It might have been Summer 2008 when they attempted the service-I can't remember but it was either 2008/2009. YVR (as well as travel to Alaska/Alaskan cruises) has really taken off within the 5 years or so, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another go of it, from CLT or PHL.

They flew PHL-ANC for a couple of seasons as well with an 752.

PHL ANC was short lived, it operated I believe in the summer of 2010 with an Envoy configured 757.

And thus a US Airways route, as AA/US didn't merge until 2013.

Well aware of when the merger took place and that this was a LUS route.

Fly the Flag!!!!

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:32 pm

I don’t understand why you all don’t think that PHX, the 12th largest US metro area, cannot sustain any long haul service beyond 2x LHR. SFO, the 11th largest metro area, has loads of service all over the world. PHX can definitely sustain service to at least major hubs like CDG, FRA, MAD, NRT, SYD at a minimum. As soon as we get Doug fired and get a sensible CEO to replace him, we will have flights to cities all over the world, just like SFO. But for now, we have Doug, who is determined to kill his original hub in favor on a congested, competitive, much smaller LAX operation and a bloated DFW one.

Polot

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:36 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
I don’t understand why you all don’t think that PHX, the 12th largest US metro area, cannot sustain any long haul service beyond 2x LHR. SFO, the 11th largest metro area, has loads of service all over the world. PHX can definitely sustain service to at least major hubs like CDG, FRA, MAD, NRT, SYD at a minimum. As soon as we get Doug fired and get a sensible CEO to replace him, we will have flights to cities all over the world, just like SFO. But for now, we have Doug, who is determined to kill his original hub in favor on a congested, competitive, much smaller LAX operation and a bloated DFW one.

Now look at CSA. And amount of industry in SFO area versus Phoenix. Also Doug only controls AA. Look at the amount of service that SFO has from international carriers, and compare it to PHX. There is a reason for the large difference.

PHLspecial

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:38 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:

PHL is the 8th largest MSA on the U.S. yet there is not Asia service. Besides where would PHX LHR slots come from?
Also unfortunately PHL and PHX had smaller business markets compared to SFO, LAX, JFK, EWR. It's about the number of frequent flyers that matter.

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:44 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:

PHL is the 8th largest MSA on the U.S. yet there is not Asia service. Besides where would PHX LHR slots come from?
Also unfortunately PHL and PHX had smaller business markets compared to SFO, LAX, JFK, EWR. It's about the number of frequent flyers that matter.

We have hundreds of thousands of FFers waiting to get the cheap and affordable flight options that SFO has. Also last time I checked Silicon Valley doesn’t really affect SFO because SJC is their nearest airport.

Midwestindy

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:50 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:

Population doesn't mean anything

The SFO area is not comparable to PHX in terms of air travel demand:
Apple
Cisco
Google
Oracle
Wells Fargo
Facebook
Intel
Chevron
Salesforce
e.t.c

Not to mention SFO is the Venture Capital center of the world

PHX has no where near the corporate demand of the Bay Area
https://www.businesstravelnews.com/Corp ... l-100/2018
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

chepos

American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:52 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:

We have hundreds of thousands of FFers waiting to get the cheap and affordable flight options that SFO has. Also last time I checked Silicon Valley doesn’t really affect SFO because SJC is their nearest airport.

Cheap fares are not what the airlines are chasing after when they launch long haul flights. While PHX is a large city (I’m a resident of the valley), realistically speaking PHX can not support the long haul services you desire.

Last edited by chepos on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly the Flag!!!!

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:55 pm

chepos wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Cheap fares are not what the airlines are chasing after when they launch long haul flights. While PHX is a large city (I an a resident of the valley) realistically speaking PHX can not support the long haul services you desire.

I’m not asking for every long haul service SFO has, all I’m asking for is the bare minimum: CDG, FRA, MAD, and the already proven markets of Japan and SYD.

Polot

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:05 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
chepos wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:

Cheap fares are not what the airlines are chasing after when they launch long haul flights. While PHX is a large city (I an a resident of the valley) realistically speaking PHX can not support the long haul services you desire.

I’m not asking for every long haul service SFO has, all I’m asking for is the bare minimum: CDG, FRA, MAD, and the already proven markets of Japan and SYD.

When were Japan and SYD ever proven?

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:08 pm

Polot wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:
chepos wrote:

In the late 80’s, in America West. Japan would have worked had they served NRT and our loyal hometown airline fought hard against the government to get PHX citizens SYD service also.

Polot

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:12 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
Polot wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:

In the late 80’s, in America West. Japan would have worked had they served NRT and our loyal hometown airline fought hard against the government to get PHX citizens SYD service also.

Oh...flights from 30 years ago that performed so poorly that they helped drive the airline to bankruptcy where they were quickly dropped and never attempted again. What a ringing endorsement.

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Polot wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:
Polot wrote:

Oh...flights from 30 years ago that performed so poorly that they helped drive the airline to bankruptcy where they were quickly dropped and never attempted again. What a ringing endorsement.

America West was committed to the PHX market, and SYD would most definitely have worked had it been approved, and NGO service would have worked had it been nonstop and to NRT.

escondido

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:31 pm

I'd like to see YEG-ORD and am surprised AA hasn't added this one yet.

PHLspecial

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:14 am

So I guess AA is going to grow PHX, CLT, DCA, DFW domestically? While PHL might get one new European trial route for 2021? DCA I'm guessing a bunch of mainline. LAX, DFW, and ORD will see the most international growth? JFK and MIA will remain stagnant? What about AA defending market share in BOS?

Buddys747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:28 am

While not huge news, MDT-DFW goes mainline on an A-319 around the middle of April. Not too bad considering service just started this past June with Envoy E-175.
I’m curious if we will see ALB/SYR/ROC-DFW added this year with an E-175.

Ishrion

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:39 am

PHLspecial wrote:
So I guess AA is going to grow PHX, CLT, DCA, DFW domestically? While PHL might get one new European trial route for 2021? DCA I'm guessing a bunch of mainline. LAX, DFW, and ORD will see the most international growth? JFK and MIA will remain stagnant? What about AA defending market share in BOS?

LAX should receive a fair amount with the AA/QF JV.

MIA will likely grow a bit as AA lost LATAM.

Who knows for PHL, the 788s are coming this year and may open up new markets unless they’re purely replacing 763s without any spare frames.

PHLspecial

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:08 am

Ishrion wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

LAX should receive a fair amount with the AA/QF JV.

MIA will likely grow a bit as AA lost LATAM.

Who knows for PHL, the 788s are coming this year and may open up new markets unless they’re purely replacing 763s without any spare frames.

I guess 2021 will be the telling year as most of the B763 will be gone. According to the wiki there are 17 B763 and 22 B788 on order. Cross fingers for growth? PHL is getting 3 this year so far. They would need 4 more I believe to fill out the rest of the B767 summer routes?

chepos

American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:20 am

It will be interesting if the entry of EI into the TATL JV is approved what happens with the DUB routes. If any of the summer seasonal ger expanded, etc.

Fly the Flag!!!!

WeatherPilot

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:23 pm

Buddys747 wrote:
While not huge news, MDT-DFW goes mainline on an A-319 around the middle of April. Not too bad considering service just started this past June with Envoy E-175.

I’d think if SYR could get UA to do a daily SYR-DEN on a E-175 they could get AA to do a daily SYR-DFW.

Buddys747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
Buddys747 wrote:

I’d think if SYR could get UA to do a daily SYR-DEN on a E-175 they could get AA to do a daily SYR-DFW.

I’m sure there’s enough O+D and connections to be a profitable route. If they plan on expanding DFW as much as they say they are, those areas of NY are a hole that needs filled.
Slightly off topic, a reverse of what you said, if AA can make MDT-DFW work, hopefully UA would give MDT-DEN a try!

Zbogart757

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Does anyone think that there could be a South American expansion to GRU or GIG, and possibly see PHL, CLT, or ORD added. I know CLT had GRU and GIG before but do you think the B787 could work better, and almost certain in the US Airways days PHL was awarded a GRU flight but never happened, and have ORD flight to either GRU/GIG to compete against United. Or with the LATAM partnering with Delta make these not feasible.

Miamiairport

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Zbogart757 wrote:
Does anyone think that there could be a South American expansion to GRU or GIG, and possibly see PHL, CLT, or ORD added. I know CLT had GRU and GIG before but do you think the B787 could work better, and almost certain in the US Airways days PHL was awarded a GRU flight but never happened, and have ORD flight to either GRU/GIG to compete against United. Or with the LATAM partnering with Delta make these not feasible.

Right now until the Brazilian economy becomes and stays strong again I can't see any additions for other hubs. JFK/GIG is still seasonal. IIRC CLT got axed after the merger. If enough demand evolves possibly ORD. PHL seems to close to JFK. There's a huge Brazilian presence in the BOS area maybe a non hub BOS/GRU flight in the future? Again if the Brazilian economy heats up again.

chepos

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 pm

CLT has minimal traffic to Brazil, cities with meaningful traffic to Brazil can connect in MIA or DFW. Not sure I see a need for CLT-Brazil.

Fly the Flag!!!!

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:30 pm

chepos wrote:
CLT has minimal traffic to Brazil, cities with meaningful traffic to Brazil can connect in MIA or DFW. Not sure I see a need for CLT-Brazil.

CLT could provide connections from Brazil to smaller east coast markets that MIA doesn’t have.

MAH4546

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:50 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
chepos wrote:

CLT could provide connections from Brazil to smaller east coast markets that MIA doesn’t have.

They account in total for maybe 1 passenger to Brazil on a good day. Besides, MIA is in fact connected to the smaller markets - Columbia, Greer, Knoxville, Fayetteville, Jackson, Savannah among others all have MIA service. Probably more than 95% of U.S.-Brazil traffic can connect with one stop via MIA. And of the 5% that can’t, almost all of it can connect via DFW. And 95% is generous. The actual number is probably closer to 98 or 99%.
a.

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:10 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:
chepos wrote:

They account in total for maybe 1 passenger to Brazil on a good day. Besides, MIA is in fact connected to the smaller markets - Columbia, Greer, Knoxville, Fayetteville, Jackson, Savannah among others all have MIA service. Probably more than 95% of U.S.-Brazil traffic can connect with one stop via MIA. And of the 5% that can’t, almost all of it can connect via DFW. And 95% is generous. The actual number is probably closer to 98 or 99%.

True, but CLT has much better frequency to almost every market which means it can also offer connections to markets like SEA where the timings don’t work in MIA.

YouGeeElWhy

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Ugh, this thread is painful to read. Can we just go back to the 2019 thread or maybe skip to 2021 or maybe sanity will take back over.

I am looking forward to DFW getting more links to the Northeast in 2020.

MAH4546

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:

True, but CLT has much better frequency to almost every market which means it can also offer connections to markets like SEA where the timings don’t work in MIA.

Seattle connects via Dallas. Simple and done.

Although due note Seattle-Miami usually also has an evening arrival in Miami to connect to the Latin bank that has not been operating following 737MAX cancellations.
a.

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:42 am

I don’t understand why AA operated BOS-PAR for so long, yet never considered PHX-PAR. BOS is not a hub or even focus city, while PHX is a major AA hub. Also, PHX is barely a smaller city than BOS so it’s not like BOS getting LIS service on DL but SLC not.

N62NA

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:57 am

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Ugh, this thread is painful to read. Can we just go back to the 2019 thread or maybe skip to 2021 or maybe sanity will take back over.

What in particular is "insanity" in this thread?

PHXWRLD
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:28 am

N62NA wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:

What in particular is "insanity" in this thread?

I too, am curious what he means.

JohnAudiR18

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:14 am

Wishful thinking but i'd love to see DFW and/or ORD to GFK, and maybe CLT-FAR, but i do welcome seeing the PHX-FAR flight.

PacoMartin

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:12 am

I was rather surprised to see how few routes American Airlines has that are over 5000 miles

statute miles - ORG - DEST - times daily
5111 DFW GRU 1
5143 DFW FRA 1
5286 DFW EZE 1
5614 DFW FCO 1
6427 DFW NRT 2
6841 DFW ICN 1
6971 DFW PEK 1
7351 DFW PVG 1
8120 DFW HKG 1
5451 LAX NRT 1
5456 LAX LHR 2
5487 LAX HND 1
6115 LAX EZE 4 week
6156 LAX GRU 1
6251 LAX PEK 1
6485 LAX PVG 1
7260 LAX HKG 1
7487 LAX SYD 1
5282 JFK EZE 1
5271 PHX LHR 1
6274 ORD NRT 4 week

Ishrion

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:23 am

PacoMartin wrote:
I was rather surprised to see how few routes American Airlines has that are over 5000 miles

statute miles - ORG - DEST - times daily
5111 DFW GRU 1
5143 DFW FRA 1
5286 DFW EZE 1
5614 DFW FCO 1
6427 DFW NRT 2
6841 DFW ICN 1
6971 DFW PEK 1
7351 DFW PVG 1
8120 DFW HKG 1
5451 LAX NRT 1
5456 LAX LHR 2
5487 LAX HND 1
6115 LAX EZE 4 week
6156 LAX GRU 1
6251 LAX PEK 1
6485 LAX PVG 1
7260 LAX HKG 1
7487 LAX SYD 1
5282 JFK EZE 1
5271 PHX LHR 1
6274 ORD NRT 4 week

Don’t forget about DFW-MUC, LAX-AKL, MIA-FCO, PHL/ORD-ATH.

AA will add a fair amount this year with DFW-AKL, DFW-TLV, LAX-CHC.

ORD-NRT just ended yesterday.

Varsity1

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 pm

MIA-MXP is close as well
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

American 767

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:10 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
I don’t understand why AA operated BOS-PAR for so long, yet never considered PHX-PAR. BOS is not a hub or even focus city, while PHX is a major AA hub. Also, PHX is barely a smaller city than BOS so it’s not like BOS getting LIS service on DL but SLC not.

True, BOS is not a major hub for AA but there was a time when BOS was a focus city. The BOS-Paris route dates, I believe already from the 90s when they were still flying to ORY. BOS-CDG was recently cut but it could very well come back if there is enough demand for it. Not likely, but not impossible either.
Ben Soriano

MAH4546

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm

American 767 wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:

True, BOS is not a major hub for AA but there was a time when BOS was a focus city. The BOS-Paris route dates, I believe already from the 90s when they were still flying to ORY. BOS-CDG was recently cut but it could very well come back if there is enough demand for it. Not likely, but not impossible either.

Boston-Paris was moved from AA to Level. They are part of the same metal neutral joint venture.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos