Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Miamiairport
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

It’s pax. Bookable on aa.com today and the following weeks but it’s sub-daily.


MIA had a 90 minute plus TSA wait this morning. The guy in back of me was on that flight to MAD. BTW MIA TSA has suspended the PreCheck line and the Priority Lane. With only one screening point open it was a real cluster. Guy going to Spain said you are suppose to self quarantine for 14 days upon landing but there's no one to check up on you.


Hopefully the priority lanes will come back as the states reopen. It's insane having to wait 90 minutes to go through security when flights are going out as empty as they are. So much for social distancing at the checkpoints, too.


I flew out of DSM a couple of weeks ago and the PreCheck lane was open. Yet the TSA can't seem to keep the Precheck lane open at MIA. Awhile there's about 15 TSA employees being paid to stand around and do nothing.
 
Bigant0408
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 3:30 pm

Just found the PDF official published documentation for the CMA investigation. It's a total of 85 pages but worth checking out

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... tments.pdf
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
Detroit313
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 3:50 pm

Delta, Air France, KLM and United, Lufthansa have complete monopolies between so many of their hubs. It is kind of unfair to ask for such a thing from BA/AA. I hope they work out some kind of deal.
 
OB1504
Posts: 3933
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 5:59 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

MIA had a 90 minute plus TSA wait this morning. The guy in back of me was on that flight to MAD. BTW MIA TSA has suspended the PreCheck line and the Priority Lane. With only one screening point open it was a real cluster. Guy going to Spain said you are suppose to self quarantine for 14 days upon landing but there's no one to check up on you.


Hopefully the priority lanes will come back as the states reopen. It's insane having to wait 90 minutes to go through security when flights are going out as empty as they are. So much for social distancing at the checkpoints, too.


I flew out of DSM a couple of weeks ago and the PreCheck lane was open. Yet the TSA can't seem to keep the Precheck lane open at MIA. Awhile there's about 15 TSA employees being paid to stand around and do nothing.


It could just be typical MIA incompetence, but the PreCheck lanes were also closed at FLL F and PHL B/C on my trip this weekend. Of course, there was no one in line at FLL to begin with and PHL only took about 10 minutes to clear.
 
MrPeanut
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Delta, Air France, KLM and United, Lufthansa have complete monopolies between so many of their hubs. It is kind of unfair to ask for such a thing from BA/AA. I hope they work out some kind of deal.


The difference is that LHR is a slot controlled airport. The issue would not exist if LHR wasn't slot controlled.
 
JohanTally
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 6:48 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Delta, Air France, KLM and United, Lufthansa have complete monopolies between so many of their hubs. It is kind of unfair to ask for such a thing from BA/AA. I hope they work out some kind of deal.


The difference is that LHR is a slot controlled airport. The issue would not exist if LHR wasn't slot controlled.


I was under the impression that AMS CDG FRA MUC are slot controlled airports?
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26156
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 9:36 pm

JohanTally wrote:
MrPeanut wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Delta, Air France, KLM and United, Lufthansa have complete monopolies between so many of their hubs. It is kind of unfair to ask for such a thing from BA/AA. I hope they work out some kind of deal.


The difference is that LHR is a slot controlled airport. The issue would not exist if LHR wasn't slot controlled.


I was under the impression that AMS CDG FRA MUC are slot controlled airports?


Correct, they are.
a.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 10:00 pm

tphuang wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
tphuang wrote:
It specifically said added competition and delta provides no added competition given vs presence in these markets.


"Releasing additional take-off and landing slots at London Heathrow or Gatwick airports to enable competitors to begin or increase non-stop flights between London and Boston, Dallas and Miami"

https://www.miragenews.com/cma-consults ... mmitments/


“On some of these routes there are either few or no other airlines offering direct flights to passengers,” Ann Pope, the CMA’s senior antitrust director said in a statement. British Airways and American Airlines’ decision to give up some slots, she added, “has the potential to increase competition and deliver lower fares for customers, while also preserving the benefits that joint airline agreements offer passengers.”

Again, it's hard to make the case that DL is really increasing competition that much vs an entirely new airline. And JetBlue can effectively make the argument that it's locked out of the LHR market whereas DL/VS/AF/KL JV controls 8% of LHR slots.

At this point, DL's main concern with LHR is VS's survival


https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton ... 9afa3950d0

“Boston is a hub for Delta and a JetBlue focus city,” the U.K. Competition and Markets Authority said in its proposed determination. “Therefore, the likelihood that these slots would be taken up by competing airlines and used for non-stop services on this route appears high.”

"The assessment is in four parts...Parts two and three consider which airline will have the most number of flights and seats on a route where a slot is available. That favors incumbents that have capacity to build on and give greater scale against American and British Airways."
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
joeblow10
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 10:36 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

Hopefully the priority lanes will come back as the states reopen. It's insane having to wait 90 minutes to go through security when flights are going out as empty as they are. So much for social distancing at the checkpoints, too.


I flew out of DSM a couple of weeks ago and the PreCheck lane was open. Yet the TSA can't seem to keep the Precheck lane open at MIA. Awhile there's about 15 TSA employees being paid to stand around and do nothing.


It could just be typical MIA incompetence, but the PreCheck lanes were also closed at FLL F and PHL B/C on my trip this weekend. Of course, there was no one in line at FLL to begin with and PHL only took about 10 minutes to clear.


Aren’t you aware what TSA really stands for? Thousands standing around :lol:
 
tphuang
Posts: 5067
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

"Releasing additional take-off and landing slots at London Heathrow or Gatwick airports to enable competitors to begin or increase non-stop flights between London and Boston, Dallas and Miami"

https://www.miragenews.com/cma-consults ... mmitments/


“On some of these routes there are either few or no other airlines offering direct flights to passengers,” Ann Pope, the CMA’s senior antitrust director said in a statement. British Airways and American Airlines’ decision to give up some slots, she added, “has the potential to increase competition and deliver lower fares for customers, while also preserving the benefits that joint airline agreements offer passengers.”

Again, it's hard to make the case that DL is really increasing competition that much vs an entirely new airline. And JetBlue can effectively make the argument that it's locked out of the LHR market whereas DL/VS/AF/KL JV controls 8% of LHR slots.

At this point, DL's main concern with LHR is VS's survival


https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton ... 9afa3950d0

“Boston is a hub for Delta and a JetBlue focus city,” the U.K. Competition and Markets Authority said in its proposed determination. “Therefore, the likelihood that these slots would be taken up by competing airlines and used for non-stop services on this route appears high.”

"The assessment is in four parts...Parts two and three consider which airline will have the most number of flights and seats on a route where a slot is available. That favors incumbents that have capacity to build on and give greater scale against American and British Airways."


com'on you know as well as i do these things always go to the new entrant. And it's really doubtful BOS will be more than hub for DL after this.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 5:15 am

American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

AA schedule EDI as a B787-8 and Reyjavik as an A321Neo

Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm

With American scheduling EDI on the B787-8 for S21 (I know this may change as time goes on) and Reyjavik on the A321Neo, what's next for the seasonal AA TATL routes?

Link: https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/book ... 796158-569
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: AA schedule EDI as a B787-8 and Reyjavik as an A321Neo

Sun May 10, 2020 1:43 pm

Thanks for sharing! Awesome news for PHL. It will be interesting to see what happens with routes such as DBV, PRG, TXL, etc.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7772
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: AA schedule EDI as a B787-8 and Reyjavik as an A321Neo

Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm

You're going to be waiting a while for KEF:

From 03JUN21, this route will be operated by the new Airbus A321neo aircraft, instead of Boeing 757-200.

AA232 PHL2215 – 0810+1KEF 32Q D
AA231 KEF1030 – 1245PHL 32Q D

Configuration is sold as C16Y176.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2021/

Lots of things can happen within the next twelve months.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Ishrion wrote:
American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.


Few more things, PHL-KEF in 2021 will be on the A321neo instead of 752.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2021/

From late-March 2021 (IATA Spring 2021), it looks like AA's 4x daily ORD-LHR flights will all see the 777-200ER.

Not sure if it was previously known, but PHL-DUB is now on the 788 when it resumes in October as expected.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 2:00 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.


Few more things, PHL-KEF in 2021 will be on the A321neo instead of 752.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2021/

From late-March 2021 (IATA Spring 2021), it looks like AA's 4x daily ORD-LHR flights will all see the 777-200ER.

Not sure if it was previously known, but PHL-DUB is now on the 788 when it resumes in October as expected.


Interesting that they only switched over DUB so far.
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.


Few more things, PHL-KEF in 2021 will be on the A321neo instead of 752.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2021/

From late-March 2021 (IATA Spring 2021), it looks like AA's 4x daily ORD-LHR flights will all see the 777-200ER.

Not sure if it was previously known, but PHL-DUB is now on the 788 when it resumes in October as expected.


I wonder how probable it is that there will be four AA flights ORD-LHR come next spring?
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3720
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.


Few more things, PHL-KEF in 2021 will be on the A321neo instead of 752.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2021/

From late-March 2021 (IATA Spring 2021), it looks like AA's 4x daily ORD-LHR flights will all see the 777-200ER.

Not sure if it was previously known, but PHL-DUB is now on the 788 when it resumes in October as expected.


Hmm, so has Iceland been removed from the BA/IB/AY/AA JV that requires lie-flat business class seats on all routes?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

AA 757 Long-Haul Replacement: A321 and 787-8

Sun May 10, 2020 2:27 pm

With AA retiring its 757 fleet, several long-haul routes will need replacements.

From what it looks like, AA has found a temporary solution with the A321ceo, A321neo, and 787-8.

757 Replacements:
- DFW-LIM going 788 upon resuming on August 19, 2021.
- MIA-LIM going 2x A321, 1x 788 from March 28, 2021. (Previously scheduled as 2x 752, 1x 763 or 3x 752)
- MIA-BSB going A321ceo (LAA 16J165Y) upon resuming in October 2020.
- PHL-EDI going 788 upon resuming in March 2021.
- PHL-KEF going A321neo upon launching in June 2021.

With MIA-BSB at 3,600 miles, this will create the world's longest A321ceo route. However, will AA actually be able to operate this route given the range?

PHL-KEF will be American's first "transatlantic" route with an A321. AA has also scheduled the A321neo on its DFW-ANC route, which is at 3,043 miles. So it's possible PHL-SNN, which is around 100 miles longer, may also see the A321neo.

So, assuming these routes are operational next year, it looks like there will be a lot more A321 long-haul flying.
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: AA schedule EDI as a B787-8 and Reyjavik as an A321Neo

Sun May 10, 2020 2:35 pm

True, It's a case of wait and see how things develop.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4283
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: AA 757 Long-Haul Replacement: A321 and 787-8

Sun May 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Ishrion wrote:
With MIA-BSB at 3,600 miles, this will create the world's longest A321ceo route. However, will AA actually be able to operate this route given the range?

PHL-KEF will be American's first "transatlantic" route with an A321. AA has also scheduled the A321neo on its DFW-ANC route, which is at 3,043 miles.


What's the relevant ETOPS certifications of the various A321 subfleets?
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 558
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: AA 757 Long-Haul Replacement: A321 and 787-8

Sun May 10, 2020 2:52 pm

zkojq wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
What's the relevant ETOPS certifications of the various A321 subfleets?


180min. Already serve Hawaii with them.
I fly your boxes
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Ishrion wrote:
American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.

Of course they’ve been pulled they announced several weeks ago the 757s are all retired.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.

Of course they’ve been pulled they announced several weeks ago the 757s are all retired.


Yeah? The 757s were still showing before today. They just removed them from the schedule this morning.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2201
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Ishrion wrote:
American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.



BSB will be the longest CEO route in the world right?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 4:22 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
American's Philadelphia to Edinburgh route will be upgauged to the 787-8 next Spring, replacing the 757-200.

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1259351103369601024

Miami to Brasilia is also switching to the A321(ceo) replacing the 757-200.

DFW-STT is on the A319 instead of 757.

From what it looks like, the 757 has been completely pulled out of the schedule.



BSB will be the longest CEO route in the world right?


Yes. Previously it was supposed to be DFW-FAI when it was supposed to launch 3 days ago but the route was cut.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: AA 757 Long-Haul Replacement: A321 and 787-8

Sun May 10, 2020 4:26 pm

Ishrion wrote:
So it's possible PHL-SNN, which is around 100 miles longer, may also see the A321neo.


In the JV agreement with BA, which covers Ireland, AA is required to fly an aircraft with lie-flat seats on this route.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA 757 Long-Haul Replacement: A321 and 787-8

Sun May 10, 2020 4:35 pm

asuflyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
So it's possible PHL-SNN, which is around 100 miles longer, may also see the A321neo.


In the JV agreement with BA, which covers Ireland, AA is required to fly an aircraft with lie-flat seats on this route.


Ah, right, makes more sense as to why EDI will be on the 787.

I guess Iceland is excluded?
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: AA 757 Long-Haul Replacement: A321 and 787-8

Sun May 10, 2020 4:37 pm

asuflyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
So it's possible PHL-SNN, which is around 100 miles longer, may also see the A321neo.


In the JV agreement with BA, which covers Ireland, AA is required to fly an aircraft with lie-flat seats on this route.


Would be pretty bold of BA to make a stink if AA flew a few recliners instead of Lie flats for 2 years.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2268
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 4:48 pm

Strange how they are making these changes to the schedule in regards equipment on seasonal European flying that may/may not even operate next year when they have A330s that are still in the operating schedule for this year.

On 24 October, which is the day CLT-FRA resumes and the second daily CLT-LHR resumes, all CLT-Europe flying reverts back to/is scheduled as an A332/A333.

Seasonal European flying ex CLT (CDG/MAD/FCO are all loaded for next year) and showing A330s, as are some PHL-Seasonal Europe flights. Granted, some of these routes may not operate next year but still.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
dfw88
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Re: AA 757 Long-Haul Replacement: A321 and 787-8

Sun May 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Ishrion wrote:
asuflyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
So it's possible PHL-SNN, which is around 100 miles longer, may also see the A321neo.


In the JV agreement with BA, which covers Ireland, AA is required to fly an aircraft with lie-flat seats on this route.


Ah, right, makes more sense as to why EDI will be on the 787.

I guess Iceland is excluded?


Iceland is definitely NOT excluded. It's a newer addition, but it currently part of the JV. I'm scratching my head at how they're going to make the 321neo happen on that route. Maybe there's some sort of exception process?
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Any chance AA is planning on selling it as Premium Economy and not business class?
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2268
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Any chance AA is planning on selling it as Premium Economy and not business class?

Back when AA did BOS-Ireland/England (outside of LHR) in the early/late 2000s they used a Domestic 757 with the F cabin sold as Y and given to AAdvantage Elites IIRC.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
FSDan
Posts: 3269
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 11:40 pm

Ishrion wrote:
From late-March 2021 (IATA Spring 2021), it looks like AA's 4x daily ORD-LHR flights will all see the 777-200ER.


That makes sense. As the 777s are more premium heavy than the 787 fleet, there's been some speculation already that LHR would become an all-777 operation. As it was, only ORD, CLT, and PHL saw non-777 operations. We've seen AA move CLT-LHR to the 777 in the near term, and I wouldn't be surprised to see PHL follow suit in the future.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
Sdmccray1984
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:07 am

AA slots at JFK post 767

Mon May 11, 2020 12:41 pm

With the sudden retirement of all their 767s, AA could now add at least 5 or 6 narrowbody (B738, B752, A321) gates at the satellite portion of Terminal 8 at JFK. The questions are: (1)Would they be allowed to, per slots restrictions, and (2) Is it against their organizational strategy to increase their domestic OR international ops at JFK? In other words, if AA can add narrowbody gates at the satellite, would it be more valuable to just sell the slots instead of increasing service?
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5921
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: AA slots at JFK post 767

Mon May 11, 2020 12:50 pm

The 767 hasnt been at JFK in large numbers in a while.

Several JFK slots have been returned to the PANYNJ

I would look for a 30-50 flight operation out of AA after this
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: AA slots at JFK post 767

Mon May 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Clearly AA is concentrating on O&D at JFK leaving the connecting traffic to PHL. Therefore additional narrow body flying doesn't make a lot of sense. Given the new financial pressures on airlines I don't see AA slot squating with a bunch of money losing flights.
 
trueblew
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: AA slots at JFK post 767

Mon May 11, 2020 3:49 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
The 767 hasnt been at JFK in large numbers in a while.

Several JFK slots have been returned to the PANYNJ

I would look for a 30-50 flight operation out of AA after this


As an extension of this, could we expect BA to never return to Terminal 7? With all the excess capacity at Terminal 8, it would seem silly to return to their old facilities.
 
MBSDALHOU
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:05 am

Re: AA slots at JFK post 767

Mon May 11, 2020 3:52 pm

AA has retired the entire 767, 757, E190 and most of the 330 fleet so it looks like it’ll be a lot of 737, 321-20-21 and 78M will be doing that type of flying. JFK and every other airport will definitely look and even feel so different after this is over. Sad to see the 757 close it’s chapter with AA. Always one of my favorite planes
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4702
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: AA slots at JFK post 767

Mon May 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Look at how dire a situation this is. AA isn't going want to add anything. They retired so many planes it's unlikely all that they had will even return.

I still think AA is committed to NYC but purely for o&d. Smaller than 2019 operation is coming. AA probably doesn't need to worry on slots for a while either so expect NYC to be slow come back. Business travel is dead for 2020 and AA relies on that for its NYC operation heavily
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: AA slots at JFK post 767

Mon May 11, 2020 4:52 pm

Sdmccray1984 wrote:
With the sudden retirement of all their 767s, AA could now add at least 5 or 6 narrowbody (B738, B752, A321) gates at the satellite portion of Terminal 8 at JFK. The questions are: (1)Would they be allowed to, per slots restrictions, and (2) Is it against their organizational strategy to increase their domestic OR international ops at JFK? In other words, if AA can add narrowbody gates at the satellite, would it be more valuable to just sell the slots instead of increasing service?


T8 has plenty of room and does not need any expansion given AA's portfolio there, pre- and post-COVID.
 
OB1504
Posts: 3933
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Tue May 12, 2020 3:59 am

usflyer msp wrote:
Hmm, so has Iceland been removed from the BA/IB/AY/AA JV that requires lie-flat business class seats on all routes?


Given that all of the JV partners are in survival mode, I’m sure getting an exception won’t be too hard.

UPlog wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
What's the relevant ETOPS certifications of the various A321 subfleets?


180min. Already serve Hawaii with them.


Only 15 or so of the A321ceos are ETOPS, though.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Tue May 12, 2020 3:13 pm

AA updates its cargo-only flight schedule:

- 1x daily DFW-HKG 777-300ER (Begins Thursday)
- 3x weekly DFW-ICN-PEK-DFW 787-9
- 3x weekly DFW-NRT 787-8 (mix with pax)
- 2x weekly DFW-AMS 777-300ER
- 1x weekly DFW-DUB 777-300ER
- 1x weekly DFW-FRA 777-300ER
- 1x daily DFW-LHR 787-8 (mix with pax)
- 1x daily DFW-MAD 787-8 (mix with pax)
- 1x daily LAX-HKG 777-300ER
- 2x daily LAX-ICN-PVG-LAX 787-9
- 1x weekly LAX-SYD 777-300ER
- 2x weekly JFK-LHR 777-200ER
- 1x daily MIA-LHR 777-300ER (mix with pax)
- 1x weekly ORD-CDG 787-8
- 2x weekly ORD-LHR 787-8
- 1x weekly PHL-FCO 787-8
- 2x weekly PHL-SJU 787-8
- 1x weekly PHL-ZRH 787-8

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Wed May 13, 2020 2:37 pm

OB1504 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Hmm, so has Iceland been removed from the BA/IB/AY/AA JV that requires lie-flat business class seats on all routes?


Given that all of the JV partners are in survival mode, I’m sure getting an exception won’t be too hard.


Quite true, that seems logical, but somebody upthread mentioned the idea that AA could just sell that front cabin as Premium Economy; hell, the seats are so similar, why not? That seems like the easiest and most economical thing to do. No cabin refit...no need for an exception/waiver from the JV...plus, PE should be likely to sell better than J on that route anyway IMHO; I think the route could do just fine without J.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 12:08 am

Any chance AA is entertaining the idea of reconfiguring some 321s as two-cabin J/Y, with the lie flat Business seats that are on the 321T for these international flights? Yes, it would be an undesirable third subfleet for the 321, but might make sense.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5921
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: AA slots at JFK post 767

Thu May 14, 2020 12:43 am

trueblew wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
The 767 hasnt been at JFK in large numbers in a while.

Several JFK slots have been returned to the PANYNJ

I would look for a 30-50 flight operation out of AA after this


As an extension of this, could we expect BA to never return to Terminal 7? With all the excess capacity at Terminal 8, it would seem silly to return to their old facilities.



At this point AA BA and AS could comfortably fit in T7

They should close T8 and save money
 
x1234
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 12:46 am

No wonder AA generates significant cargo yield out of LHR & HKG, the GATEWAY for cargo transiting Europe & Asia. LHR for the rest of EMEA and HKG for SE Asia (CGK DPS, BKK, SIN, KUL, HAN & SGN). It can also do India but India is generally so far west that it transits Europe & DXB/DOH/AUH. Also I believe the CX network feeds AA Cargo in HKG.
 
digitalcloud
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 11:07 am

PHL-SNN appears to be planned to resume on 6th May 2021 as 5x weekly B788.

It's possible that the 788 is a placeholder for SNN and EDI, however.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 11:15 am

American Eagle recently launched a DFW to Eagle/Vail to Aspen to Montrose to DFW route using a CRJ-700 to abide by the Cares Act.

The EGE to ASE route appears to be the shortest domestic route in the U.S at 29 miles, beating Alaska’s Petersburg to Wrangell 31-mile route which is apart of the Milk Run.

https://coloradosun.com/2020/05/14/fly- ... t-service/
 
lowfareair
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Thu May 14, 2020 11:23 am

Ishrion wrote:
American Eagle recently launched a DFW to Eagle/Vail to Aspen to Montrose to DFW route using a CRJ-700 to abide by the Cares Act.

The EGE to ASE route appears to be the shortest domestic route in the U.S at 29 miles, beating Alaska’s Petersburg to Wrangell 31-mile route which is apart of the Milk Run.

https://coloradosun.com/2020/05/14/fly- ... t-service/


It might be the shortest now, but that shortest "ever" comment is incorrect. IAH-EFD on CO (operated by a regional carrier) is 1 mile shorter. Going back further, OAK-SFO had scheduled service at various points at an 11 mile distance.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos