Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nicknuzzii

Re: American adds more Asia to SEA, and other long-haul changes

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 pm

enilria wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
CLT and LAX look like the big losers here. PHL and DFW made our pretty well.

Presently PHL cannot legally accept any intl flights per U.S. restrictions.

I’m gonna say that will definitely change come next summer.

jasoncrh

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Most of the feed that AA gets at SEA for PVG will come from Alaska Airlines. AA and AS have negtiated a new pro rate and new codeshare agreement that will encourage AS to provide feed at SEA. Delta tried to do something similar with AS years ago but they couldnt come to an agreement.. so delta started its own hub at SEA and quit relying on AS for feed.

enilria wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Key takeaways here are less int'l from LAX, and decreasing long-thin routes

Should be interesting to watch, especially SEA-PVG

CLT down to 3 int'l routes it looks like

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

I don't understand why two carriers flying SEA-PVG is a good idea, particularly when it is a double connect from most of AA's network.

toga998

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 pm

Though incredibly optimistic during a global health crisis, I think AA has the right idea in expected capacity. Summer 2021 will, hopefully, look better than the current summer in terms of global connectivity. The necessary cuts to seasonal routes was writing on the wall, but the focus on DFW and PHL is a definite positive.

Ishrion

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:58 pm

AA announces it will apply for Seattle to Shanghai and confirms Seattle to London/Bangalore launch for 2021.

AA will "no longer operate the following routes":
- CLT-BCN/FCO/CDG
- DFW-MUC
- LAX-HKG/EZE/GRU/PEK/PVG
- MIA-BSB/MXP
- ORD-VCE
- PHL-TXL/BUD/DBV

ORD-KRK/BUD/PRG and PHL-CMN will not launch.

Ishrion

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Just gonna point this out I guess.

Not a single long-haul route out of JFK was cut :spin:

as739x

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:04 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Interesting increase in SEA, in the future possibly add routes such as Hong Kong, Sydney, Madrid and Auckland

Not really sure your going to see any of these. HKG is now covered by OW partner CX, depending on how CX shakes out after all the turmoil. Madrid, no chance. SYD, maybe and I mean maybe by QF if things drastically turn around post virus. But QF will be coming out with a thinner fleet. AKL, doubtful and I'd guess would operate via DFW if AA reenters the market. SEA is poorly positioned for many of these location and lets see where AA goes with growing there. Prior to the virus SeaTac is horrible constrained as it is. But like your optimistic thinking!!
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
'Summer 2021' is both non-specific, and, given circumstances, a long time away. This announcement means nothing. Let us know when these routes are awarded in pilot bid packages and available for sale.

My thoughts exactly. This is like the fictitious default schedule at this point. Playing with house money at this point, can always pull it down later.

Only 25% down for Summer 2021???? That is wildly optimistic in my opinion.

And that SEA-BLR route.....that route was a "jump the shark" move in Pre-COVID era. Downright delusional if think they are going to get that going in winter 2021.
A majority of the workforce that would even use that route is still likely to be working remote/virtually still in that timeframe.

No one can even predict what the Sept-Dec schedule will look like, but long range for 2021 might as well just take a SWAG for now.
Last edited by PSU.DTW.SCE on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:09 pm

usairways85 wrote:
CLT-DUB, PHL-SNN/EDI/KEF not mentioned. I am not surprised on CLT-FCO/BCN.

I think this also pushes all CLT/PHL TA flights back to at least winter 2020 (some to S21), which I take to be October/November

There are quite a few longhaul routes missing from this announcement like DFW-PVG. I guess they are in limbo depending on if demand recovery meets expectations.

JAMBOJET

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:12 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

I think this also pushes all CLT/PHL TA flights back to at least winter 2020 (some to S21), which I take to be October/November

There are quite a few longhaul routes missing from this announcement like DFW-PVG. I guess they are in limbo depending on if demand recovery meets expectations.

Wasn't it announced before? Quick google flights search shows it's for-sale starting October 24th.

SESGDL

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:14 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Interesting increase in SEA, in the future possibly add routes such as Hong Kong, Sydney, Madrid and Auckland

Seattle to Madrid? That’s never going to happen.

Jeremy

aviator2000

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:15 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

My understanding was that this announcement only mentions changes which hadn't been previously reported. So if a specific route isn't mentioned, then it remains as it had been previously planned.

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:17 pm

If AA wants to reliably operate these longhaul routes from SEA, they need to open up a SEA crew base - even if it is just a satellite of LAX or PHX.

JAMBOJET

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm

SESGDL wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

Seattle to Madrid? That’s never going to happen.

Jeremy

Generally agree, but it is a JV one world hub for AA and a good source of feed to southern Europe. I think IB would make more sense doing it but AA with a 788 doesn't seem completely impossible.

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:20 pm

aviator2000 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

My understanding was that this announcement only mentions changes which hadn't been previously reported. So if a specific route isn't mentioned, then it remains as it had been previously planned.

That would make sense. It would be nice if they would just create on document with all the longhaul routes they plan of flying and when.

aerace

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:20 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

Wasn't it announced before? Quick google flights search shows it's for-sale starting October 24th.

Summer seasonals from PHL not mentioned in the cuts (SNN, EDI, BCN, LIS, PRG, VCE, ATH) are all showing as bookable on Google Flights, so unless demand continues to lag, these appear to be a go.

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:22 pm

aerace wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Summer seasonals from PHL not mentioned in the cuts (SNN, EDI, BCN, LIS, PRG, VCE, ATH) are all showing as bookable on Google Flights, so unless demand continues to lag, these appear to be a go.

They really should clarify the "routes we are going to fly" section if that does not actually includes the all the routes they plan on flying. It is misleading.

TheZ

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:27 pm

Excited to see what the future holds for AA at SEA. I wonder how the flight to Bangalore will do.
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

janders

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:27 pm

Well well. AA drops marginal LAX longhauls and hopes they will do better from SEA?

Me thinks they are placing too much hope on AS and ignoring the obvious that SEA is not only a smaller pie to eat from, but it already has DL as a player. Plus SEA not exactly well connected to the AA network unlike LA is.

Be fun watching how things play out in the years to come.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Ishrion

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:28 pm

TheZ wrote:
Excited to see what the future holds for AA at SEA. I wonder how the flight to Bangalore will do.

Considering it wasn't slashed, I guess they secured a contract or something?

Ziyulu

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:30 pm

Does AA still codeshare with HU? Currently, AS feeds a lot of flights onto HU's SEA to PVG.

calstanford

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:35 pm

No more LAX-HKG. Good for Cathay!

BNAMealer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:38 pm

janders wrote:
Well well. AA drops marginal LAX longhauls and hopes they will do better from SEA?

Me thinks they are placing too much hope on AS and ignoring the obvious that SEA is not only a smaller pie to eat from, but it already has DL as a player. Plus SEA not exactly well connected to the AA network unlike LA is.

Be fun watching how things play out in the years to come.

Me thinks this is AA positioning themselves to acquire AS down the road, when things recover.

American 767

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:41 pm

TheZ wrote:
Excited to see what the future holds for AA at SEA.

Tough for Delta.

TheZ wrote:
I wonder how the flight to Bangalore will do.

We'll see. It'll be on sometimes next year in 2021. I'm sure that one will be a 787.
Ben Soriano

Detroit313

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Nice to see more growth for AA in Seattle!

LAXintl

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Can't say the LAX longhaul cuts are a surprise as AA has previously eluded to challenges at LAX.

Yes LAX is the U.S. largest market to Asia/Pacific region, but its has a ton of competition from both fellow US3(could LAX-PVG really support 3 US airlines?) and also from many strong foreign players.

The LAX-EZE/GRU honestly never made much sense to me, when you have hubs at DFW and MIA that can better consolidate West Coast traffic onto shorter stage length flights.

Growing SEA though seems like means to burn more cash though, not reduce the bleed or the right remedy. Sure AS feed be nice, but its not like AA has the ability to price or schedule coordinate with AS. All the relationship is a codeshare and FF partnership within OW come summer 2021.

With all the industry network shifts results of the pandemic, will be interesting to see what a steady-state will look like in a few years and how these moves are viewed in hindsight.

From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

TWFlyGuy

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:10 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

To be fair, CLT will still have lots of international, just not TATL. And that will change over time. As the traffic comes back, CLT being as large of a hub as it is will be able to support the return of those markets most likely.

jfklganyc

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:11 pm

ABEguy wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
ABEguy wrote:

Do you really not know about all the 787s AA has coming or are you just playing dumb? In 2018 AA ordered 22 more 787-8 and 25 more 787-9. The 8s were always planned to replace the 767 fleet and the 9 were to replace the 330-300 and older 777s. The first batch of the 787-8s have started arriving in 2020, and the 787-9 will start in 2023. Nothings changed in that department except COVID accelerated the retirements of already planned to be retired aircraft.

Obviously if the demand doesn’t return in time all is subject to change, but your notion that AA won’t have the wide-bodies to fly the schedule they’re building for next summer is so wrong that I have to assume you’re being willfully ignorant.

So how does that help them fly to DBV in the spring?

What are we kidding here guys?

The company is on the verge of collapse… You guys are looking at 787s to Athens from two different cities...

It is a dummy sked that will never be flown.

The equipment isn’t there to fly it. The finances aren’t there to fly it. And, likely, the pax aren’t there to fly it

This is like a form of TDS except with AA. I laid out for you the orders of wide bodies that are showing up as we speak. Robert Isom said just 2 days ago they’re still coming. All the wide bodies parked during the crisis were already planned to be retired, plus 757 and E190. But you continue repeating yourself with what you wish would happen, not what’s actually happening.

Again maybe the 2021 summer schedule will be drawn down further if there’s no demand, but it will not be because of lack of aircraft. Read that again and repeat it as many times as you need to in order to understand.

DBV gone. Just saying

Eirules

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:14 pm

No mention of whether DFW-DUB is returning for S21
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Ishrion

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:18 pm

Eirules wrote:
No mention of whether DFW-DUB is returning for S21

It's available for booking in May 2021 right now. If they didn't announce they're cutting the route, it's still set to fly. Obviously, this could change depending on demand or restrictions.

DFW17L

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:25 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Nice to see more growth for AA in Seattle!

I agree. Isn’t AA, though, gate-constrained at SEA? Or do they pick up more S-gates for their international flights?

UPlog

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 pm

Interesting how London, Sydney and Tokyo end up being the core year-round long haul routes for US airlines at LAX.

Those are routes(plus PVG) both Delta and United focused on as well.
I fly your boxes

illinicmi

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 pm

Ishrion wrote:
AA announces it will apply for Seattle to Shanghai and confirms Seattle to London/Bangalore launch for 2021.

- CLT-BCN/FCO/CDG
- DFW-MUC
- MIA-BSB/MXP
- ORD-VCE
- PHL-TXL/BUD/DBV

My reading of this is that in no uncertain terms, LAX will no longer be an international hub, period. Seems like pretty definitive wording, at least for the next couple of years. I mean, assuming the government approves the move of PEK to SEA, SEA will have as many AA international destinations as LAX.

So they say they want to focus on LAX domestic, but what does that mean? Especially when dealing with AS? Just feels like AA at LAX is toast outside of the core domestic routes.

jfklganyc

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:33 pm

illinicmi wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- CLT-BCN/FCO/CDG
- DFW-MUC
- MIA-BSB/MXP
- ORD-VCE
- PHL-TXL/BUD/DBV

My reading of this is that in no uncertain terms, LAX will no longer be an international hub, period. Seems like pretty definitive wording, at least for the next couple of years. I mean, assuming the government approves the move of PEK to SEA, SEA will have as many AA international destinations as LAX.

So they say they want to focus on LAX domestic, but what does that mean? Especially when dealing with AS? Just feels like AA at LAX is toast outside of the core domestic routes.

It will look a lot like JFK/LGA

Targeted O and D focus city for a huge metropolis

Cointrin330

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Their list does not reference JFK-FCO, which is seasonal, and pre-COVID19, had been extended from a late April start to early October finish to resume March and continue to the end of October. My guess is that it will return, for Summer 2021 as of now.

NYCAAer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Yes, contrary to popular belief, what little was left at JFK were cash cows on the 777.

AA747123

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:40 pm

Some airlines and analysts are saying traffic will not rebound to 2019 levels till 2025. Until a vaccine is widely available I would agree with that. I think the growth at SEA is exciting, but summer 2021 is a bit optimistic.

LAXintl

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:41 pm

UPlog wrote:
Interesting how London, Sydney and Tokyo end up being the core year-round long haul routes for US airlines at LAX.

Those are routes(plus PVG) both Delta and United focused on as well.

That's because those are 3 of the top 5 largest longhaul markets from LA. Add in ICN and TPE and you have the top-5, but LON/SYD/TYO are the ones that have the yield, thus sought after.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

usdcaguy

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:45 pm

Major retrenchment from AA in LAX and CLT, but I’d be surprised if we didn’t see a major cut from DL for S21 as well. I think DL may have already won internationally at LAX, though its reach from the airport is not nearly as broad as AA’s domestically. Would be surprised if AA ever tried Asia or South America again from LAX. The money to Asia is up north in SJC, SFO and SEA, and they know this. Other carriers have tried and failed to have South America flights from LAX for years. You would have thought AA had learned this by now, but in good times, all carriers get overzealous, pressure their employees to sell the flights and then get burned in the end.

CLT704

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

No mention of CLT-DUB/MAD, don't get too excited.

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:51 pm

I imagine in the very, very long term, 2022-23 frame, some of this stuff will come back when demand recovers. Charlotte-Paris and Miami-Milan for example are no brainers to return down the line when leisure demand recovers. I bet those are the first two to come back.

There is also some strategy to relying on joint venture and codeshare partners here. Not just with Alaska, but for example Miami-Barcelona still comes back in October but Madrid is pushed to summer 2022, as Iberia will simply handle Madrid. And Miami-Brasilia is gone, but Gol has the market covered.

LAX will be interesting as Delta and UA I think will be following suit in major cuts there as airlines retreat to core hubs and we might see all three “reset” what they do with LAX. I imagine UA and DL will also not be quick to relaunch LAXPVG for example. AA has always traditionally been strong domestically at LAX, though, and it’s a huge OW hub.
a.

alasizon

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:08 pm

CLT-FCO and PHL-BUD are the two main cuts that don't make sense to me, but other than that I get it.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:10 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Major retrenchment from AA in LAX and CLT, but I’d be surprised if we didn’t see a major cut from DL for S21 as well. I think DL may have already won internationally at LAX, though its reach from the airport is not nearly as broad as AA’s domestically. Would be surprised if AA ever tried Asia or South America again from LAX. The money to Asia is up north in SJC, SFO and SEA, and they know this. Other carriers have tried and failed to have South America flights from LAX for years. You would have thought AA had learned this by now, but in good times, all carriers get overzealous, pressure their employees to sell the flights and then get burned in the end.

AA will still be the largest international at LAX. It is still operating SYD/HND/AKL/LHR and plans to still launch CHC.

Id be surprised if Delta and United rush back to LAXPVG, I suspect both will exit. I also won’t be surprised if say in 2023 or 2024 whenever traffic recovers, they are all fighting on LAXPVG again.

Some of these market exits I think will be quick to re-enter when traffic starts to upswing, whenever that is down the line. Stuff like CLTCDG and MIAMXP, those markets are massive, the former in connecting flows, the latter in local, and that demand will come back.
a.

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:13 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Their list does not reference JFK-FCO, which is seasonal, and pre-COVID19, had been extended from a late April start to early October finish to resume March and continue to the end of October. My guess is that it will return, for Summer 2021 as of now.

The list only references routes with revised start dates, that’s it. If the start date isn’t revised, it’s not listed. For example Miami-Madrid was going to relaunch in August, now Iberia will handle that market and it comes back in March 2021 so it’s on the list. Miami-Barcelona has been planned to relaunch in October and still planned to, so not on list. Dallas-Tel Aviv and Los Angeles-Christchurch still planned for fall 2021, also not on list.
a.

NYCAAer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 pm

alasizon wrote:
CLT-FCO and PHL-BUD are the two main cuts that don't make sense to me, but other than that I get it.

Seasonal summer flying with little premium demand on both routes.

Detroit313

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm

AA and Alaska closer and closer to a merger.

raylee67

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:29 pm

Curious there is no mention of CHC, Seoul, Tokyo and Osaka, and also DFW-HKG

Seems AA is going to move the trans-Pac hub to SEA too, with so many canceled LAX routes. With AS as its partner, it may have more success than DL and will provide a very strong competition. SEA cannot sustain as trans-Pac hub for both AA/AS and DL. One of them will be forced out.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

apodino

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:32 pm

I also notice TXL on the list not coming back. This should be obvious, as BER should finally be up and running by 2021, so no one will serve TXL in 2021.

(I know it is probably Berlin in general, but thought this was worth a chuckle.)

Nicknuzzii

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:34 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
NYCAAer wrote:
alasizon wrote:

There was no premium demand before so what’s the difference now? Lol.

alasizon

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:35 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Agreed but CLT-FCO fills the demand in the summer without any issues and makes money. It isn't as if they are selling all the seats at junk yields. Even with traffic down 25-30%, it still would have made money.

PHL-BUD actually does have premium traffic as well as the leisure component (unlike DBV) which is why I'm surprised to see it go away. I have no clue what industry the premium traffic is associated with but there is a decent amount there, albeit mostly connecting. I also don't expect Americans as a whole to stop wanting to go to Eastern Europe and for a lot of people BUD and PRG have been the jumping off points; now they will either connect in LHR or take another airline.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

NYCAAer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:38 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
I imagine in the very, very long term, 2022-23 frame, some of this stuff will come back when demand recovers. Charlotte-Paris and Miami-Milan for example are no brainers to return down the line when leisure demand recovers. I bet those are the first two to come back.

There is also some strategy to relying on joint venture and codeshare partners here. Not just with Alaska, but for example Miami-Barcelona still comes back in October but Madrid is pushed to summer 2022, as Iberia will simply handle Madrid. And Miami-Brasilia is gone, but Gol has the market covered.

LAX will be interesting as Delta and UA I think will be following suit in major cuts there as airlines retreat to core hubs and we might see all three “reset” what they do with LAX. I imagine UA and DL will also not be quick to relaunch LAXPVG for example. AA has always traditionally been strong domestically at LAX, though, and it’s a huge OW hub.

CLT-CDG and MIA-MXP don’t have the premium demand as other markets, it will be a while before they come back any time soon. The passengers who would have been on the CLT flight out of CDG can just as easily be funneled through PHL. MXP has been marginal for AA out of MIA even before COVID-19.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos