Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stock1985

Re: AA Adds Routes Including CUN-CMH/IND, MIA-MKE/PWM/ROC, JFK-SJD and more

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:21 pm

What about TUL-MIA - also seems like an obvious add whether on mainline with 738 service or E175.

AmericanAir88

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:39 pm

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx
Same day standby and no more change fees on AA flights have just been announced. A direct response to UA. This is a very good move.

I won't be surprised to see DL and B6 follow.

jbs2886

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:42 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:
https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Improves-the-Travel-Experience-OPS-POL-08/default.aspx
Same day standby and no more change fees on AA flights have just been announced. A direct response to UA. This is a very good move.

DL followed earlier today before AA.

Ishrion

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Nothing on JFK - ATH and JFK - TLV yet?

Nope. They're likely waiting on the JetBlue partnership to be approved by the DOT.

avi8

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:25 pm

I find it interesting that Central America isn't included in the short-haul segment, but Mexico and the Caribbean are.
avi8

Vctony

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:33 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
Full list of AA new routes, some aren't new like PHX-PIT/RDU however interesting list of Mexican routes

https://onemileatatime.com/american-air ... er-routes/

Nice to see PHX getting some additions. I'm curious when AA will once again retake WN as the largest carrier at PHX in terms of passengers carried.

jplatts

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 pm

Vctony wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
Full list of AA new routes, some aren't new like PHX-PIT/RDU however interesting list of Mexican routes

Nice to see PHX getting some additions. I'm curious when AA will once again retake WN as the largest carrier at PHX in terms of passengers carried.

Even with the adds that AA has recently made at PHX, there are still a few remaining markets such as BWI, BUF, and SDF that have nonstop service out of PHX on WN but not on AA.

I had also mentioned that there are some competitive moves that can be made by WN against AA at PHX such as
(a) increasing PHX-CVG nonstop service to year-round, daily nonstop service,
(b) the return of Saturday-only PHX-LGA nonstop service,
(c) the return of PHX-BOS nonstop service, and
(d) the addition of PHX-CLT nonstop service.

MrPeanut

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 20

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
Vctony wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

Even with the adds that AA has recently made at PHX, there are still a few remaining markets such as BWI, BUF, and SDF that have nonstop service out of PHX on WN but not on AA.

I had also mentioned that there are some competitive moves that can be made by WN against AA at PHX such as
(a) increasing PHX-CVG nonstop service to year-round, daily nonstop service,
(b) the return of Saturday-only PHX-LGA nonstop service,
(c) the return of PHX-BOS nonstop service, and
(d) the addition of PHX-CLT nonstop service.

Traffic patterns and strategies will likely change as airlines and the travel industry climb out of Covid. So what seems logical in the moment may never take place or may not be around 12 months from now (assuming covid gets under control this time next year).

Also interesting to note is that AA doesn’t have gate space to expand in PHX. It now appears that the new WN concourse will all be incremental gates to WN with no additional gates going to AA as a result of the new concourse opening.

jb1087xna

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
jb1087xna wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Other possibilities:

PHX-XNA

MIA-JAN

I would expect AA to resume XNA-MIA prior to either of those. I believe they tried bringing it back in July but then pulled it again.

MIAXNA relaunched and is operating. It flew through the end of July, and comes back in October.

If it actually operates in October then I would agree they’re a possibility. Given that AA pulled it back down after the late spring/early summer pause due to the pandemic, I take this resumption as a wait and see situation. DL has scheduled XNA-MSP and LGA resumptions ~90 days out at various times but inevitably has pulled them due to low demand as we get closer to the dates.

Cointrin330

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:05 am

What is the plan for the rest of the AA TATL portfolio (there is a single JFK-LHR at the moment). Has anything changed relative to CDG, MXP, BCN, MAD, EZE, and GRU coming back on line?

Ishrion

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:17 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
What is the plan for the rest of the AA TATL portfolio (there is a single JFK-LHR at the moment). Has anything changed relative to CDG, MXP, BCN, MAD, EZE, and GRU coming back on line?

- JFK-CDG October 24, 2020
- JFK-MXP March 27, 2021
- JFK-BCN March 27, 2021
- JFK-MAD March 27, 2021
- JFK-EZE October 24, 2020
- JFK-GRU October 25, 2020

In other words, nothing has really changed since AA's last update on July 1.

Cointrin330

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:31 am

Ishrion wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

- JFK-CDG October 24, 2020
- JFK-MXP March 27, 2021
- JFK-BCN March 27, 2021
- JFK-MAD March 27, 2021
- JFK-EZE October 24, 2020
- JFK-GRU October 25, 2020

In other words, nothing has really changed since AA's last update on July 1.

Thank you. Yup, seems unchanged.

Boof02671

Re: AA Winter Domestic Widebodies

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:53 am

usflyer msp wrote:
Anything beyond October is a placeholder so it is impossible to know. MIA-CLT will probably continue to see a 772 flight to cycle the frames through for the CLT- MUC/LHR cargo possibly passenger flights.

They are starting live passenger flight from MIA-CLT then a cargo only CLT-MUC-CLT the CLT-MIA live passenger flight with a 772

Ishrion

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:06 am

Airlineroute has listed all the additions:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-30aug20/
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... additions/

MIA-DSM was previously announced, BOS-JAC was loaded months ago, LGA-OKC was announced in early 2020.

Is Charlotte to Sioux Falls (FSD) new or some sort of resumption?

knope2001

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:13 am

UWPAviation wrote:
MIA-MKE is LOONG overdue. I know way to many people that complain about getting to Miami / south Florida. I see that route doing very well for AA

American has been comparably aggressive and successful in MKE during Covid. American has traditionally been just under 50% the size of Delta, but in the last four months it has flipped with American carrying twice the MKE traffic than Delta. AA has even upgraded one of their MKE-CLT flights from a CR9 to an A319 this spring/summer, a rare upgrade these days. Maybe AA will be more assertive in MKE and run a MIA flight more than 1x/week down the road.

gabep

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 am

jbs2886 wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:
https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Improves-the-Travel-Experience-OPS-POL-08/default.aspx

DL followed earlier today before AA.

It might be worth pointing out AA went a step further than United or Delta. American Cuts Change Fees, Improves Basic Economy, Beats United

Gabep

usflyer msp

Re: AA Winter Domestic Widebodies

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:26 am

Boof02671 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Anything beyond October is a placeholder so it is impossible to know. MIA-CLT will probably continue to see a 772 flight to cycle the frames through for the CLT- MUC/LHR cargo possibly passenger flights.

They are starting live passenger flight from MIA-CLT then a cargo only CLT-MUC-CLT the CLT-MIA live passenger flight with a 772

CLT-MUC/LHR with pax is still scheduled to resume in October but CLT is still not an approved entry airport so the flights being able to carry any pax is very up in the air.

joeblow10

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:31 am

Ishrion wrote:
Airlineroute has listed all the additions:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-30aug20/
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... additions/

MIA-DSM was previously announced, BOS-JAC was loaded months ago, LGA-OKC was announced in early 2020.

Is Charlotte to Sioux Falls (FSD) new or some sort of resumption?

No CLT-FSD is brand new - never been flown before AFAIK. Likely a reaction to DL eliminating FSD-ATL. Those flights were always packed with FL and Caribbean connectors - I’m guessing AA is going after the same crowd, definitely enough there to fill a CR7, considering DL filled 320s

MAH4546

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:15 am

jb1087xna wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
jb1087xna wrote:

I would expect AA to resume XNA-MIA prior to either of those. I believe they tried bringing it back in July but then pulled it again.

MIAXNA relaunched and is operating. It flew through the end of July, and comes back in October.

If it actually operates in October then I would agree they’re a possibility. Given that AA pulled it back down after the late spring/early summer pause due to the pandemic, I take this resumption as a wait and see situation. DL has scheduled XNA-MSP and LGA resumptions ~90 days out at various times but inevitably has pulled them due to low demand as we get closer to the dates.

AA loaded it’s finalized October schedule this weekend. Now of course in these times nothing is “final” but they don’t expect to deviate from what we loses over the weekend.
a.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:54 am

Smart additions IMHO. We saw united do the Florida surge earlier too.
Leisure routes are the only things that will get booked in 2021. You have two choices parked planes or serve leisure routes . Business travel is gonna be on pause for a while.....

jb1087xna

Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:36 am

MAH4546 wrote:
jb1087xna wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

AA loaded it’s finalized October schedule this weekend. Now of course in these times nothing is “final” but they don’t expect to deviate from what we loses over the weekend.

Per the OAG thread from today, AA pulled down XNA-MIA for October.

hz747300

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:05 am

Maybe CUN can replace PHX when AA de-hubs The Valley.
Keep on truckin'...

BMIMSNPHX

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:25 am

hz747300 wrote:
Maybe CUN can replace PHX when AA de-hubs The Valley.

Pure gold.
New home airport: BMIMSNPHXDFW

boeing773er

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:45 am

tphuang wrote:
JFK-SJD is an interesting choice. I wouldn't normally think there is enough demand to justify daily service. However, with travel restrictions likely to be in place for many Caribbean nations, there could be more demand for Mexico. And not everyone want to go to CUN.

I agree with you that this is odd. United does a weekly (either Friday or Saturday) nonstop EWR-SJD. The flight is usually quite full, and they charge a premium for it. As a frequent SJD goer I'm quite excited. With consolidation in the networks in the last ten years, I feel that SJD really got a bad blow with reduced service from DFW/IAH/PHX type hubs.

As for the West Coast hubs I have no idea what service is like nowadays, as an East Coaster I try avoid making the trip all the way out there to get to Cabo.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

Ishrion

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:12 am

AA is resuming LAX-SYD passenger flights earlier than intended, likely to take advantage of cargo demand.

LAX-SYD resumes on November 10 with a 4x weekly flight operating Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday on the 777-300ER. AA originally intended to resume LAX-SYD on March 26, 2021.

AA is currently operating daily cargo-only flights on LAX-SYD. It's been a few years since AA has used the 777-300ER on LAX-SYD for passenger flights.

Currently unclear if there's a passenger cap.
Last edited by Ishrion on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

MAH4546

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:16 am

AA is moving forward the relaunch of Montevideo from 18Dec20 to 06Nov20. Also moving forward Sydney from 26Mar21 to 06Nov20.
a.

Ishrion

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:38 am

Few more changes:

- PHL-AMS/DUB pushed from late-October to March 27, 2021
- In exchange, DFW-AMS/DUB are now closer to "year-round". Both are available for booking during through winter but suspend between October 25 to November 4 and March 27 to May 5.
- Starting October 29, AA will operate 4x 777-300ERs on DFW-LHR only on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Adding on to MAH4546, MIA-MVD will resume on November 4 using the 777-200ER rather than the 787-8 from December 18

Bunch of steps to take advantage of cargo demand while adding some passenger revenue on top of it.

rjbesikof

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:44 pm

Ishrion wrote:
AA is resuming LAX-SYD passenger flights earlier than intended, likely to take advantage of cargo demand.

LAX-SYD resumes on November 10 with a 4x weekly flight operating Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday on the 777-300ER. AA originally intended to resume LAX-SYD on March 26, 2021.

AA is currently operating daily cargo-only flights on LAX-SYD. It's been a few years since AA has used the 777-300ER on LAX-SYD for passenger flights.

They might also be doing this to take on DL and UA. Both are already flying to Sydney and UA will resume LAX-SYD this week. Why did AA pick the 77W for this route and could this be a permanent change for the route going forward?

Ishrion

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:06 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

They might also be doing this to take on DL and UA. Both are already flying to Sydney and UA will resume LAX-SYD this week. Why did AA pick the 77W for this route and could this be a permanent change for the route going forward?

AA's currently operating cargo-only flights on LAX-SYD using the 777-300ER at a daily frequency, so they're continuing to use the same aircraft into the winter but allowing customers to purchase tickets for some flights.

I'm guessing they'll continue operating LAX-SYD daily while 4x weekly frequencies will have passengers and the other 3x weekly freq. will be cargo-only, similar to what JAL is doing for some of their long-haul flights.

As for it being a permanent change, maybe. AA ended LAX-HKG which may free up a 77W or two?

Now that I’m thinking about it, DFW-HKG’s 77W will have to stay in HKG for 22 hours again unless they manage to rotate it with a cargo-only LAX/NRT-HKG flight... or a new HKG flight.

MAH4546

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:56 pm

Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

AA's currently operating cargo-only flights on LAX-SYD using the 777-300ER at a daily frequency, so they're continuing to use the same aircraft into the winter but allowing customers to purchase tickets for some flights.

I'm guessing they'll continue operating LAX-SYD daily while 4x weekly frequencies will have passengers and the other 3x weekly freq. will be cargo-only, similar to what JAL is doing for some of their long-haul flights.

As for it being a permanent change, maybe. AA ended LAX-HKG which may free up a 77W or two?

Now that I’m thinking about it, DFW-HKG’s 77W will have to stay in HKG for 22 hours again unless they manage to rotate it with a cargo-only LAX/NRT-HKG flight... or a new HKG flight.

I’ve heard AA might be reconsidering LAXHKG/PVG depending on how things play out.
a.

rjbesikof

Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:13 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

I’ve heard AA might be reconsidering LAXHKG/PVG depending on how things play out.

MAH4546,
Where did you hear this from? And would readding LAX-PVG replace the upcoming SEA-PVG or would it be in addition?

FLLspotter747

AA Announces DAB-DFW/PHL

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:32 am

American has announced both DAB-DFW and DAB-PHL this evening. Flight start up in December with DFW on a CRJ-900 and PHL on a CRJ-700. Both are 1x daily.

Flights are bookable on AA website.

Antarius

Re: AA Announces DAB-DFW/PHL

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:33 am

DAB = Daytona Beach

I had to google it, so figured I'd save others who didn't know :)
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Ishrion

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:02 am

A direct connection from DFW to Embry-Riddle :o

stl07

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:02 am

Kind of a random add, but I guess they have the dartboard out to every leisure destination as that is where the money is these days. Also would never in a million years have expected them to add IND-CUN
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

FLALEFTY

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:24 am

It is good to see DAB get some love. This will give locals more options going to the NE via PHL and West via DFW. Maybe AA will eventually link-up MIA to DAB when the South American countries fully open back up?

This airport has a very peaky demand curve based around events in Daytona such as Bike Week and the Daytona 500, but demand falls way off during the Summer & Fall months. DAB also struggles with Allegiant offering ULCC service out of SFB, which is only slightly over 30 minutes drive time from Daytona, as well as its close proximity to the behemoth, MCO just an hour's drive from same.

MIflyer12

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:31 am

Has AA ever served DAB (within the last 20 years) from other than CLT?

JAXDan

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:49 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

Yes, seasonal LGA

flyjoe

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

Greater than 20 years, American had service between RDU-DAB in the early 90s. US Airways served PHL-DAB in the early 90s and prior to that, BWI-DAB. There was also USX service to MCO and JAX.

DeltaRules

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:23 am

stl07 wrote:
Kind of a random add, but I guess they have the dartboard out to every leisure destination as that is where the money is these days. Also would never in a million years have expected them to add IND-CUN

MLB picked up service to PHL and DCA in the last couple years, so I'm not surprised at all by DAB getting PHL in general (though, granted, I'm both surprised of the timing (COVID) and not surprised (whole new world of airline scheduling making sunshine routes popular)).
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

flyPIT

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:31 am

flyjoe wrote:
US Airways served PHL-DAB in the early 90s

With 727s no less.
FLYi

jfklganyc

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:34 am

Antarius wrote:
DAB = Daytona Beach

I had to google it, so figured I'd save others who didn't know :)

Most famous flight school in the world on the field.

I think this forum knows DAB well :)

wedgetail737

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:51 am

I think the RDU-DAB flight continued to MLB using Maddogs. DAB had many more flights per day back when they had the old terminal.

evank516

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:06 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think the RDU-DAB flight continued to MLB using Maddogs. DAB had many more flights per day back when they had the old terminal.

From what I’ve seen on departedflights.com they each had their own nonstops to RDU. It was CO that did EWR-DAB-MLB.
flyPIT wrote:
flyjoe wrote:

With 727s no less.

1995 shows it on a F100, haven’t seen those in a looooonnnnnng time.

DAB has been trying to get DFW flights for a while. PHL seems nice too. It’ll give DAB access to some smaller markets in the northeast. First time in over a decade that you can fly to ISP with a single connection. Haven’t been able to do that since DL pulled out of ISP.

sand26391

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:22 am

Ordering need coming in from BLR, India. Since excerpts from the article...

American Airlines appoints Air Logistics Group as cargo GSA in India

"...... Tim Isik, director cargo sales – Europe, Middle East and Africa, said, “India is an important market for American’s cargo operations. As we prepare to launch our new Seattle to Bengaluru service in 2021, we are delighted to be strengthening our position in India through this exclusive partnership with Air Logistics Group.”

Link:- https://www.itln.in/american-airlines-a ... a-in-india

So it seems like they are going to go ahead with the BLR -SEA flight from WS 2021afterall .. contrary to rumours of them not going to fly.

KLMatSJC

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:33 am

So someone at route planning is an ERAU alum? :duck:
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

flyjoe

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:45 pm

flyjoe wrote:

With 727s no less.[/quote]

1995 shows it on a F100, haven’t seen those in a looooonnnnnng time.[/quote]
I worked in PHL at the time and remember the F100 and even the DC-9 doing the morning flight.

flyjoe

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:46 pm

flyjoe wrote:
flyjoe wrote:

With 727s no less.

Evank516 wrote: 1995 shows it on a F100, haven’t seen those in a looooonnnnnng time.[/quote]

I worked in PHL at the time and remember the F100 and even the DC-9 doing the morning flight.

flyPIT

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:00 pm

PHL-DAB began with 727s, IIRC 1994.
FLYi

pezzy669

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:11 pm

I am honestly surprised to learn just now that pre-merger AA did not serve Daytona Beach at all.

The northern parts of Florida always seemed to be second fiddle for AA as even the larger JAX market pre-TWA only had token service to DFW (all F100) and MIA (ATR).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos