Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

isp2

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:49 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
MIA: performing very well right now, probably some relativity to that statement

LAX: nearly all domestic routes will return as virus concerns ease, SYD/LHR/HND/AKL/*CHC & potentially still HKG are slated to stay.

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1337 ... 89/photo/1

I had also been hearing PVG might come back after all. We'll see, but wouldn't shock me.

Funny you are talking about LAX and MIA...

I wonder if people will be more interested when an airline announces Mint flights between those two tomorrow.

Ishrion

Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:55 am

isp2 wrote:

I wonder if people will be more interested when an airline announces Mint flights between those two tomorrow.

Huh... If you say so.

MAH4546

Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:36 am

Ishrion wrote:
isp2 wrote:

Huh... If you say so.

I haven't heard anything but I thought odd jetBlue still hasn't announced MIA during this recent market shift.

That said, quoted poster's history of reporting announcements of new service before they happen is pretty good.

USAirALB

Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:02 pm

I think LAX-HKG took a pretty hard hit with both COVID and the ongoing protests in the city-state essentially overlapping. There is a ton of premium demand on LAX-HKG and the traffic is definitely there. AA offered a superior schedule for a while as well. Until UA launched the second SFO-HKG flight, AA was the only US airline offering an overnight US-HKG flight...every HKG flight by a US carrier had a morning/afternoon departure. I definitely think it will return once COVID settles down.

Rumors are that there is a "major" international-route suspension(s) about to be announced.

I would assume that everything ex LAX is probably safe. I would assume everything at MIA is safe as well. CLT got most of their seasonal European routes cut already at the beginning of the pandemic leaving only MAD/DUB, but cutting those I don't think would be classified as "major". I can't see them cutting CLT-FRA/MUC. I would assume at this point JFK routes are probably safe as well.

If true, my guess is the announcement has something to do with either ORD or PHL.

xaapb

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:13 am

AA is starting service to Harlingen TX KHRL from Chicago O’Hare on March 6th 2021 operating only on Saturdays, flights will be operated by SkyWest so I’m assuming CRJ7 o CRJ9 service.

ORD 09:05am HRL 12:50pm
HRL 02:00pm ORD 05:20pm

https://www.valleymorningstar.com/2020/ ... cagoohare/

Greetings!

MAH4546

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 am

xaapb wrote:
AA is starting service to Harlingen TX KHRL from Chicago O’Hare on March 6th 2021 operating only on Saturdays, flights will be operated by SkyWest so I’m assuming CRJ7 o CRJ9 service.

Greetings!

Through Memorial Day.

Also adding seasonal Saturday service DFWMLB and PHLHHH.

aerace

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:37 am

MAH4546 wrote:
xaapb wrote:

Greetings!

Through Memorial Day.

Also adding seasonal Saturday service DFWMLB and PHLHHH.

Didn't PHL-HHH launch this past summer? Or did it never get off the ground?

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:58 am

xaapb wrote:

They would know how many people from ORD are connecting in DFW, so maybe those people will self-select and stick to Saturday n/s.

JohanTally

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:11 am

Hinting at a possible March launch of CLT-HNL

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1339 ... 11298?s=19

USAirALB

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:17 am

I wouldn't be surprised.

The loads were fine when US ran it...the flight suffered from horrible performance on the 762s and frequently required a fuel stop in PHX or LAX. AA is currently the only US network carrier without nonstop service from one of their East Coast hubs, and there is a good amount of slack in the fleet at present, so why not.

JohanTally

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:36 am

USAirALB wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised.

The loads were fine when US ran it...the flight suffered from horrible performance on the 762s and frequently required a fuel stop in PHX or LAX. AA is currently the only US network carrier without nonstop service from one of their East Coast hubs, and there is a good amount of slack in the fleet at present, so why not.

I remember the 762 frequently stopping for fuel whenever the loads were on the higher side. Technically it wouldn't be a new route from a city pair standpoint but new using AA metal. If this were to happen I suspect CLT will have a drastic increase in the March flight schedule to better feed the route and the possible resumption of more TATL routes.

CanadianRedneck

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:45 am

JohanTally wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised.

I remember the 762 frequently stopping for fuel whenever the loads were on the higher side. Technically it wouldn't be a new route from a city pair standpoint but new using AA metal. If this were to happen I suspect CLT will have a drastic increase in the March flight schedule to better feed the route and the possible resumption of more TATL routes.

Would this be a 772 add? Interesting how you brought up resumption’s. I was curious about which ones could ~possibly~ return in 2021.

USAirALB

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:54 am

CanadianRedneck wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised.

Would this be a 772 add? Interesting how you brought up resumption’s. I was curious about which ones could ~possibly~ return in 2021.

Frankly I don't think any Summer-seasonal European route will be returning in 2021, for any US airline, from any US hub. I cannot see the traffic being there to justify the likes of CLT-MAD, ATL-VCE, ORD-ATH, PHL-EDI, etc.

JohanTally

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:32 pm

CanadianRedneck wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't expect anything slightly resembling a normal TATL schedule but the most likely to return are CLT-LHR/FRA/MUC because those are not seasonal. Maybe one or two adds on top of that if the vaccine is widely available by April or May which is optimistic.

ChrisNH38

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:41 pm

I wonder which happens first: BOS-LAX or BOS-LHR. Could be neither.

USAirALB

Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:45 pm

I’m also curious to see if IAD-LAX resumes.

rjbesikof

Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:23 pm

JohanTally wrote:
CanadianRedneck wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I don't expect anything slightly resembling a normal TATL schedule but the most likely to return are CLT-LHR/FRA/MUC because those are not seasonal. Maybe one or two adds on top of that if the vaccine is widely available by April or May which is optimistic.

LHR will resume in January.

JohanTally

Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:51 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
CanadianRedneck wrote:

LHR will resume in January.

LHR is scheduled to resume in January but is not guaranteed to resume. FRA and MUC are scheduled to resume in late March but could just be placeholders because the flight schedule has been drastically changing about a month out. I'm rooting for their resumption but cautiously optimistic.

Midwestindy

American adds FLL-LAX/BOS/JFK

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:17 am

Well, days after B6 announces MIA service, AA is answering with service of their own to B6 focus cities

It appears AA is also adding LGB-DFW, although not related

https://twitter.com/crankyflier/status/ ... 39776?s=20

tphuang

Re: American adds FLL-LAX/BOS/JFK

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:23 am

I think those that claimed this AA/B6 partnership is a de facto merger can find something else to complain about. I believe LGB-DFW is to retaliate against WN launching LGB-DAL.

tphuang

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:40 am

Looks like AA is also adding ANC-PHX. Interesting indeed.

Ishrion

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:41 am

BOS-FLL and LAX-FLL are two routes that were recently added by United and Delta respectively. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think AA historically had some P2P routes out of FLL such as PAP?

Also, will AA and B6 truly compete on BOS-FLL/MIA or will they even consider a codeshare?

Ishrion

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:42 am

According to Cranky Flyer, American is launching FLL-BOS/LAX/JFK and DFW-LGB

https://twitter.com/crankyflier/status/ ... 9233739776

These currently aren't open for booking, but they'll likely become available over the weekend.

JetBlue just announced MIA-BOS/JFK/LAX/EWR yesterday and here we are with American's "response". Southwest added DAL-LGB last week.

Additionally, PHX-ANC is coming back.

Ishrion

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:44 am

tphuang wrote:

AA operated ANC-PHX last summer but cut the route when they announced DFW-FAI, ORD-ANC/FAI in late 2019.

Great to see it back, supposedly with the AS partnership. Although, AS just announced it would up ANC-PHX to year-round.

Tack

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:46 am

tphuang wrote:
I think those that claimed this AA/B6 partnership is a de facto merger can find something else to complain about. I believe LGB-DFW is to retaliate against WN launching LGB-DAL.

I agree. AA’s partnerships with both B6 and AS was always about offering their flyers as many options as possible. If they cover all the bases, some with other carriers equipment and staff, their loyalty program becomes even more valuable. I’ve said this so many times I can’t count, but AAdvantage is valuable because of the OW perks and all their partnerships. Toss in earn on B6 and AS along with any new routes that AA addS? At least to me, there’s no better program. And that translates into 11K in spend, all on AA, and 116k in miles in a down COVID year. And I’m a low low spend EP. I’d guess all their moves over the last few months might be attractive to *A and ST Flyers.
Last edited by Tack on Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

phllax

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:47 am

Ishrion wrote:
BOS-FLL and LAX-FLL are two routes that were recently added by United and Delta respectively. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

All 3 are a resumption of discontinued service. Yes, PAP and SJU were also served from FLL. Check in for PAP was down in baggage claim due to the amount and weight of luggage checked in.

Brickell305

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:50 am

Ishrion wrote:

Also, will AA and B6 truly compete on BOS-FLL/MIA or will they even consider a codeshare?

AA used to fly FLL-KIN and FLL-PAP. KIN didn’t last long but PAP stuck around for a while before it was dropped. AA flew FLL-LAX recently, then switched the flight to PBI before dropping that too. Interesting times ahead. I guess we can put the whole “B6 started MIA to complement AA” story to bed.

Also, that is a LOT of capacity between So. Fla and LA for AA. 4 777s and an A321 out of MIA plus whatever they add out of FLL.

Ishrion

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:55 am

Brickell305 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

AA used to fly FLL-KIN and FLL-PAP. KIN didn’t last long but PAP stuck around for a while before it was dropped. AA flew FLL-LAX recently, then switched the flight to PBI before dropping that too. Interesting times ahead. I guess we can put the whole “B6 started MIA to complement AA” story to bed.

Also, that is a LOT of capacity between So. Fla and LA for AA. 4 777s and an A321 out of MIA plus whatever they add out of FLL.

The 4 daily 777s + A321 on LAX-MIA are currently only for the peak holiday season, just like the 4x daily 777s on DFW-MCO.

Right now, their January and February schedules are "finalized" and LAX-MIA is 2x 777s and 2x A321s.

It's unclear when the three FLL routes begin so we'll have to wait a bit and see what changes they make to the overall LAX to Florida capacity.

kavok

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:56 am

It just feels like AA/AS are much closer “friends” compared to AA/B6. These adds only add further credence to that belief.

Brickell305

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:59 am

Ishrion wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

The 4 daily 777s + A321 on LAX-MIA are currently only for the peak holiday season, just like the 4x daily 777s on DFW-MCO.

Right now, their January and February schedules are "finalized" and LAX-MIA is 2x 777s and 2x A321s.

It's unclear when the three FLL routes begin so we'll have to wait a bit and see what changes they make to the overall LAX to Florida capacity.

Noted.

TYWoolman

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:08 am

tphuang wrote:

Not exactly. So are you acknowledging that prior to this announcement, when de facto merger was claimed, that a de facto merger scenario existed?
American should take every opportunity not to make this seem like a de facto merger. They got to start somewhere.

MIflyer12

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:10 am

kavok wrote:
It just feels like AA/AS are much closer “friends” compared to AA/B6. These adds only add further credence to that belief.

IMHO this is more about carriers trying alt metro airports:

- UA going back to JFK

- WN starting MIA, ORD and IAH

- B6 starting MIA

I don't know they'll see the yields they want but it's probably better than leaving hundreds of planes parked.

Antarius

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:34 am

Deck the halls with boughs of holly... FLL LAx

Midwestindy

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:36 am

But wait there is more.....AA is adding AUS-MCO?????

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local ... 7220f1cb73

Midwestindy

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:40 am

AA is adding AUS-MCO....although Sat only

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local ... 7220f1cb73

asuflyer

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:14 am

DFW-LGB is also a resumption as well, AA used to fly this in the Mid 2000's.

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 am

I thought AA/B6 were buddies now and B6 would handle the JFK/BOS domestic network? Can AA really do no better than these extremely saturated routes? Their ORD network is in shambles and in serious need of revitalization. But LCC dominated FLL is what they prioritize?

maps4ltd

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 am

Off topic, but I wish Delta would make some moves. They've been stagnant this year; I don't recall them announcing anything since ATL-GEG/BOI. I guess they just have a different pandemic playbook, but it'd be nice to see them try something new and unexpected.

As for the adds, I've been predicted DFW-LGB for a while, especially since DFW-BUR was added. Also interesting to see FLL-JFK, given that JFK saw MCO dropped a year prior. B6 perhaps?
And what ever became of the AUS-SJC/BOS/SJD routes they announced before the pandemic? AUS-MCO is nice to see though.

Ishrion

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:51 am

maps4ltd wrote:

And what ever became of the AUS-SJC/BOS/SJD routes they announced before the pandemic? AUS-MCO is nice to see though.

AUS-SJD inaugurates tomorrow.

AUS-SJC/BOS begin on March 4.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:56 am

Ishrion wrote:

This to me is interesting. FLL because of LCC/ULCC domination had become nothing more than a spoke for AA/UA/DL about a decade after being a focus city at some point for both AA and DL (and UA post CO merger toying with the idea) . Suddenly as previously FLL-centric LCC's invade MIA, network carriers are adding p2p routes again. AS as well adding several p2p routes from FLL.

Also interesting that AS has stuck to FLL and as I said above added new routes as well recently. Perhaps the ties with AA are deeper and they understand any move back into MIA will be seen as a hostile one by AA. B6 apparently did not quite comprehend this. So much for the implications that AA & B6 might be colluding. Clearly they are still fierce competitors.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:57 am

Brickell305 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

AA actually flew FLL-CCS for about a year or so, just as the political situation was making things more difficult. I believe they may have briefly flown FLL-SJO also at one point.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:07 am

tphuang wrote:

Oh maybe scratch my earlier AS comment RE: staying out of MIA. Looks like AA is retaliating against AS also.

TYWoolman

Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:12 am

Antarius wrote:
Deck the halls with boughs of holly... FLL LAx

Ingenious!

TYWoolman

Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:22 am

maps4ltd wrote:
Off topic, but I wish Delta would make some moves. They've been stagnant this year; I don't recall them announcing anything since ATL-GEG/BOI. I guess they just have a different pandemic playbook, but it'd be nice to see them try something new and unexpected.

I think their premise is that if people don't think it's safe to fly what good are new routes with empty planes? I think Delta is waiting it out. The Delta Pandemic Playbook reads: get leaner, more efficient, wait, wait, waaaaait....wait for it.....Pounce!

USAirALB

Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:43 am

Nice to see FLL-LAX back. IIRC it might have been flown twice daily with 752s at one point.
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

AA actually flew FLL-CCS for about a year or so, just as the political situation was making things more difficult. I believe they may have briefly flown FLL-SJO also at one point.

SJO was indeed operated at one point.

miaami

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:36 am

USAirALB wrote:
Nice to see FLL-LAX back. IIRC it might have been flown twice daily with 752s at one point.
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

SJO was indeed operated at one point.

FLL-LAX was up to 4X daily at one time, all 757s

9w748capt

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:07 am

Wow DFW-LGB is interesting... any word on equipment or frequencies? I guess I could check jonnyc's twitter.

Ishrion

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:12 am

9w748capt wrote:
Wow DFW-LGB is interesting... any word on equipment or frequencies? I guess I could check jonnyc's twitter.

Daily E-175 starting April.

https://twitter.com/crankyflier/status/ ... 8438586368

MAH4546

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:52 am

Ishrion wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

AA will have a schedule upload over the weekend. MIALAX will have four daily 777s from Feb 11 onwards.

Cointrin330

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:38 pm

AA flew NYC-FLL (albeit once a day for a time before cutting it). Interesting adds, and I suspect these are about increasing demand given the number of people, notably from the northeast, who have decamped to Florida (some permanent, some to second homes) and the small but growing number of businesses that are making statements about establishing a larger Florida presence, like Goldman Sachs Asset Management (the hedge funds are really just about their founders replacing a NY or CT address to FL for tax reasons, core ops and staff will, for now remain in the NY area). However, all these adds seem to suggest there is no AA/B6 anything on the horizon. A merger is likely off the table for a long time as neither carrier can afford it, but down the road, maybe? The industry is desperate and starting to replicate dumping seats in many markets similar to what was happening in the 1980s and 1990s. The consumer will benefit in the short run with $49 fares to FLL. Then it will get ugly. Someone will file Chapter 11. And all the people claiming Florida is the antidote to living in NYC, BOS, etc...will be running back once the next Hurricane Andrew hits.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos