Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CMHtraveler

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
wenders825 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
I’m also curious to see if IAD-LAX resumes.

it appears it will not. this is a long time AA route, sad to see it go but it makes sense in the current climate. plus DCA still gives them access

CMH and MSY appear to be cut from LAX as well. the rest of AA's fairly robust domestic offerings at LAX stay

Im interested to see what happens with AA & LAX, yes CMH/MSY/IAD are removed after March, in addition to whatever they removed early in the pandemic from LAX. Although, some routes are scheduled to get frequency bumps in April; ATL, AUS, & BOS for example.

It will be interesting to see what is around this summer.

While I certainly understand it being suspended right now, this is a really disappointing permanent cut from a CMH perspective. Just a year before the pandemic this was at 2x daily during the summer. The only competition on the route is DL, but with AA giving it up I would be surprised if NK or WN don’t jump on it in 2021/2022.

I’m well aware I’m only one customer (and not a particularly valuable one), but I chose to become an AA FF largely because I travel to LA quite a bit for work. UA actually works better for me from a family perspective and with this route gone I’ll probably jump ship.

Boof02671

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:01 pm

It’s back!!!

Ishrion

American Airlines Adds CLT-HNL

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Originally noted by Boof02671 in the AA Network Thread, AA is launching Charlotte to Honolulu with the 777-200ER from May 6, 2021.

The route initially operates 6x weekly before increasing to daily in June.

Great to see it return after several years.

Seat1D

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
According to Cranky Flyer, American is launching FLL-BOS/LAX/JFK and DFW-LGB

https://twitter.com/crankyflier/status/ ... 9233739776

These currently aren't open for booking, but they'll likely become available over the weekend.

JetBlue just announced MIA-BOS/JFK/LAX/EWR yesterday and here we are with American's "response". Southwest added DAL-LGB last week.

Additionally, PHX-ANC is coming back.

Wouldn’t it be something if AA sent a 32T FLL - LAX

anything else would be a joke going up against a MINT plane. Anything other than the 32T or a 777, why even bother?

Seat1D

Re: American adds FLL-LAX/BOS/JFK

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:34 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
Off topic, but I wish Delta would make some moves. They've been stagnant this year; I don't recall them announcing anything since ATL-GEG/BOI. I guess they just have a different pandemic playbook, but it'd be nice to see them try something new and unexpected.

I think their premise is that if people don't think it's safe to fly what good are new routes with empty planes? I think Delta is waiting it out. The Delta Pandemic Playbook reads: get leaner, more efficient, wait, wait, waaaaait....wait for it.....Pounce!

I noticed the same thing. DL has been very quite whereas JetBlue has added the most out of the ordinary flights and it might actually wind up costing them more money in the long run. I believe B6's cash burn has gone up whereas DL's has gone down. I think the two are actually relatively close when you factor in that one is a huge legacy airline and the other is a mostly leisure one. Kudos however to B6 for trying. I think most of what they've attempt has been significantly cut back sans a few. I think your right with DL, sit back, watch, be patient and pounce when the time is right,. As for AA adding FLL-LAX, unless they're going to fly a 777 or a 32T on this route, good luck. B6 will destroy them...

x1234

Re: American Airlines Adds CLT-HNL

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:34 pm

They have excess capacity from LATAM, Europe & Asia and need routes to deploy it. I have heard HNL is a transit stop for cargo coming from Asia with JAL so maybe there will be cargo as well.

Ishrion

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:42 pm

AA's placing the 787-8 on DFW-BOG in April.

Additionally, AA has now schedule four daily flights on MIA-LIM from April 2021 and onward, one of them on the 787-8. AA originally intended to increase MIA-LIM to 3x daily in 2020 up from 2x daily in 2019 but didn't due to COIVD

Overall, 2021 MIA-LIM capacity is now 102% greater than 2019.
Last edited by Ishrion on Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hpff

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:49 pm

Another weird 2020 route where the airlines are just trying to lose less money than not flying at all.

Seat1D

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:52 pm

tphuang wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
B6's rate of cash burn relative to revenue is higher than any of the other US airlines at the moment, and growing fast.

That's not the case for Q3. Since we don't actually have numbers for Q4, maybe you shouldn't be making this kind of broad statement? Case in point, their guidance for Q3 was 7 to 9 million and it ended up being $6.1 million.

y.

In an SEC filing, B6 stated they expected cash burn in Q4 to be 4 to 6 mill. They updated that on 11/30 to a number closer to 8 mill. Ouch,.

pmanni1

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:57 pm

And I thought HNL-DFW was an unbearably long flight

USAirALB

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:58 pm

hpff wrote:
Another weird 2020 route where the airlines are just trying to lose less money than not flying at all.

While I agree with you that the route is likely being flown because of excess widebody capacity and international border restrictions for Americans, I wouldn’t necessarily label it a “weird” route. CLT was the largest airline hub without nonstop access to HNL and AA was the only US3 carrier without nonstop service to Hawaii from one of their Eastern hubs.

LCDFlight

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Hilarious to see this thing come back. Good for my friends in the CLT area. Maybe part of the theory is there will be pent up US domestic travel demand, but international demand will remain low for years (IMO). This could put Hawaii demand above normal for a while. I know my family is talking about going there ASAP.

MIflyer12

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:10 pm

USAirALB wrote:
hpff wrote:

While I agree with you that the route is likely being flown because of excess widebody capacity and international border restrictions for Americans, I wouldn’t necessarily label it a “weird” route. CLT was the largest airline hub without nonstop access to HNL and AA was the only US3 carrier without nonstop service to Hawaii from one of their Eastern hubs.

CLT is a large hub but not a particularly large O&D market, and few Eastern Time Zone origins sustain non-stops to HNL. Compare CLT domestic O&D to BOS, NYC or WAS. It's nothing.

bigb

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:17 pm

It is about time AA added HNL out of CLT. It gives folks in SE cities more options on AA to get to HNL besides ORD and DFW.

wenders825

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
Mint is killing AA on south Florida to -LAX. Most O&D residents want FLL over MIA. The premium market is growing and those customers live north of MIA.
MIA is all connecting traffic.
AA is bottom fishing and will be price matching NK on this route which is a mistake.

None of the adds are meant with South Florida business travelers in mind rather a resumption of cruise line contracts.

AA isn't bottom fishing when they're filling the premium cabins with higher connecting fares to deep south america and the caribbean. they aren't needing to go after O&D

Antarius

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:23 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
hpff wrote:

CLT is a large hub but not a particularly large O&D market, and few Eastern Time Zone origins sustain non-stops to HNL. Compare CLT domestic O&D to BOS, NYC or WAS. It's nothing.

True, but the hub is massive and in a large catchment area.

Given that business travel remains depressed, borders remain closed (or require extensive quarantine), Hawaii makes sense as a vacation destination for many Americans.

CALMSP

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:23 pm

was this run previously with a 762 or 330 with US Air?

BA744PHX

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:26 pm

CALMSP wrote:

US Airways 762

Boof02671

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:33 pm

CALMSP wrote:

767-200ER Which made fuel stops at PHX quite often.

B752OS

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Didn't AA serve BOS-FLL in the past?

9w748capt

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:41 pm

pmanni1 wrote:

LOL seriously? HNL-DFW can be as quick as 6 hours with tailwinds. You don't get out much it seems.

9w748capt

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Originally noted by Boof02671 in the AA Network Thread, AA is launching Charlotte to Honolulu with the 777-200ER from May 6, 2021.

The route initially operates 6x weekly before increasing to daily in June.

Great to see it return after several years.

I love the timings - I could even do something ridiculous and fly OKC-CLT-HNL if I really wanted to rack up the EQMs! Nice add - I'm guessing AA will fill the front cabins pretty easily.

Cubsrule

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:44 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
hpff wrote:

I think to a large degree the success of this flight will depend on the relative speeds at which Hawaii and various Caribbean beach destinations loosen COVID restrictions. At least for those of us not on the west coast, getting a “Hawaii-approved” COVID test is onerous, but we can go which is not the case for all of the Caribbean. If more of the Caribbean becomes a more realistic option this flight makes much less sense.

AC4500

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:59 pm

9w748capt wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

LOL seriously? HNL-DFW can be as quick as 6 hours with tailwinds. You don't get out much it seems.

Well who does get out a lot these days...? :roll:

tphuang

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Seat1D wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
B6's rate of cash burn relative to revenue is higher than any of the other US airlines at the moment, and growing fast.

That's not the case for Q3. Since we don't actually have numbers for Q4, maybe you shouldn't be making this kind of broad statement? Case in point, their guidance for Q3 was 7 to 9 million and it ended up being $6.1 million.

y.

In an SEC filing, B6 stated they expected cash burn in Q4 to be 4 to 6 mill. They updated that on 11/30 to a number closer to 8 mill. Ouch,.

they put 6 to 8 because cancellation picked up in November, but Robin Hayes have been very vocal last week about improved bookings and optimism for Jan/Feb bookings. Much of this is due to improved forward booking with vaccine news. Their last investor update for Q3 said expected cash burn was in the lower end of 7 to 9 million and it ended up being 6.1 million. Point is you don't know what it is until they actually release the numbers.

Cointrin330 wrote:
DL turned NYC profitable a few years ago, but the investment there began in earnest in 2007 once it exited bankruptcy. I'm allowed to provide the context for AA's situation in NYC just as much as you are to press your points, about B6, however inaccurate or over-inflated they may be. COVID19 is a major re-set in the entire aviation industry, not just NY. At B6's rate of cash burn relative to what it is spending, it is burning its way into Chapter 11 at a very fast clip. One of the US3 will probably end up in a similar position. Now, am bored with you. Back to sensible, intelligent exchanges on this forum.

DL's NYC operation may only have turned profitable in mid 2010s, but it got quite profitable by 2019 thanks to AA's cuts. It was certainly on the road to NYC dominance. A terrible scenario for JetBlue. But it was a pretty bad scenario for AA also. COVID provided a huge reset in NY/NJ. So the two airlines got together. If you really care about AA, maybe you should appreciate how it will help AA keep ff in NY/NJ area and win over ff in other parts of country.

B6 had a better cash position than any carrier outside of WN pre-COVID. They had very little debt. Even now, their debt - cash is only about $1.7 billion. They have only taken out a small fraction of the loans available to them under CARES act 1. And they have chosen to keep more employees around to capture on rebound when leisure picks up. Why does it matter to you how they makes network decisions?

Just wait a couple of more months and let's see what happens here. Maybe you will be right and this deal goes down in flames. Or maybe you will be wrong and things get implemented as they discussed. Or maybe it gets expanded further.

chonetsao wrote:
tphuang wrote:
The big difference is that AA/AS had an existing partnership with mileage earning going back many years. AA/B6 deal came together very quickly. The details of the ff benefits and code sharing details were not agreed to until a month and half ago. And the deal didn't get approved by DOT until a month ago.

Correction:

AA and B6 had a FFP corporation in earning and redemption as well as codeshare back in the days when B6 was still growing in NYC. Can't remember when exactly, but I knew it was before AA/US merger and possible before 2010.

sure, but that was before the US merger and things have changed a lot since. There is certainly a lot more to be negotiated there. AS also does a lot more mileage earning/redemption with other partners and joined OW. None of which applies to B6, which only have a few such partners.

Also, JetBlue has just announced major change to mosaic program. It needs to make further changes to align itself better with AA's ff program in order to determine upgrade priorities and such. Mosaic is simply a much less developed program than AS's ff program. It makes a lot of sense for things to take a while to get implemented.

Seat1D

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:24 pm

tphuang wrote:
Seat1D wrote:
tphuang wrote:

y.

they put 6 to 8 because cancellation picked up in November, but Robin Hayes have been very vocal last week about improved bookings and optimism for Jan/Feb bookings. Much of this is due to improved forward booking with vaccine news. Their last investor update for Q3 said expected cash burn was in the lower end of 7 to 9 million and it ended up being 6.1 million. Point is you don't know what it is until they actually release the numbers.

cancellations picked up and flying empty planes on all of these new routes doesnt help either. I am sure they didn't plan for that. Its a tough strategy to plan for this COVID thing for any airline. B6 is trying every thing they can possibly think of to make money, just not working out for them how they'd like. Cant blame them one bit for trying. Back on topic, I think AA will bow very quickly out of FLL-LAX. Other than their 777's and 32T's, which I doubt they will fly FLL-LAX, anything else doesnt even come close to B6's 320/321's.

MAH4546

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
Mint is killing AA on south Florida to -LAX. Most O&D residents want FLL over MIA. The premium market is growing and those customers live north of MIA.
AA is bottom fishing and will be price matching NK on this route which is a mistake.

None of the adds are meant with South Florida business travelers in mind rather a resumption of cruise line contracts.

No. The premium demand is more and more centered in Miami, hence JetBlue finding it important to add Miami. Miami is one of few large hub operations that is majority O&D, roughly 60/40 just for AA, and obviously more so for other airlines. In fact, more and more travelers are preferring MIA, hence Southwest, Frontier and JetBlue have found it necessary to add Miami.

Mint has definitely hurt AA in the local market, though, as people have been willing to make the trek for the service.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RainerBoeing777

Ishrion wrote:
AA's placing the 787-8 on DFW-BOG in April.

Additionally, AA has now schedule four daily flights on MIA-LIM from April 2021 and onward, one of them on the 787-8. AA originally intended to increase MIA-LIM to 3x daily in 2020 up from 2x daily in 2019 but didn't due to COIVD

Overall, 2021 MIA-LIM capacity is now 102% greater than 2019.

wow! good news for Latam, I hope it continues like this

Seat1D

This obviously being retribution on B6 starting service out of MIA, I just don't see how AA can directly complete against B6 if AA is using anything other than their widebody or 32T planes. Its for the reason below, I see AA leaving FLL-LAX very quickly (and quietly). I see AA using a MAX for this flight.

B6 MINT equipped 321 VS. AA 737 MAX

Cant even compare MINT to AA 1st class. Advantage B6
Pitch.EMC VS. MCE. B6 37-41 inches to AA's 33 inch. Adv. B6
Pitch Core VS. MC B6 33 inch to AA's 30 inch. Adv. B6
Seat Width B6 19 inch VS. AA 16.6. Adv. B6

B6 PTV at every seat, free premium snacks for all and free wifi, Adv. B6
AA none of the above = AA leaving FLL to LAX very quickly.

avi8

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Can someone please explain how SAP and SAL are able to sustain a 787 to MIA and GUA and SJO cannot? Aren’t those markets larger?

Ishrion

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm

avi8 wrote:
Can someone please explain how SAP and SAL are able to sustain a 787 to MIA and GUA and SJO cannot? Aren’t those markets larger?

AA's widebody decisions are likely driven by cargo.

"As we continue to introduce wide-body aircraft to more destinations in Latin America and the Caribbean, we strengthen our commitment and leadership in the region," said Christine Valls, American Airline's general director of Sales for the Caribbean, Latin America and Florida. "These aircraft, with the latest innovations in aviation, offer greater comfort for our customers, greater flight efficiency and cargo capacity, and a first-class travel experience."

https://www.theweeklyjournal.com/online ... 7f329.html

MIA-SAL seems to be selling fine. MIA-SAP on the other hand, has been removed through January 13. I'm assuming the airport's still recovering from the hurricane last month.

MAH4546

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:57 pm

avi8 wrote:

Huh? Just because AA chooses to put the 788 in other markets doesn’t mean they can sustain a 787. AA is just prioritizing other markets at the moment. Possibly cargo, possibly increased demand because other airlines cutback.

Another short haul getting the 787 from Miami is Medellin.

spinotter

Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:14 pm

pmanni1 wrote:

Until recently, HA flew JFK-HNL and even BOS-HNL nonstop if I remember correctly.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:49 pm

Couldn't this be as simple as AA knows with the new partnership they are about to get alot of FLL based flyers so they are adding routes to their hubs/focus cities. I don't see why everyone wants their to be a fight.

Boof02671

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:02 pm

spinotter wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

Until recently, HA flew JFK-HNL and even BOS-HNL nonstop if I remember correctly.

Only JFK.

Antarius

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:06 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

Only JFK.

HA launched HNL-BOS last year.

Boof02671

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:12 pm

Antarius wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

Only JFK.

HA launched HNL-BOS last year.

My bad

aacun

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Quito and Guayaquil are both going 3x daily from Miami and they will each have a 787 round trip each

Cointrin330

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:19 pm

CALMSP wrote:

762 when US operated it and it (the route) did not perform well.

Ishrion

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:27 pm

aacun wrote:
Quito and Guayaquil are both going 3x daily from Miami and they will each have a 787 round trip each

MIA-BOG as well with 4x daily flights, 2x are on the 788.

Earlier today I went through most of AA's South American routes for April and onward and it looks like DFW-BOG/LIM/SCL/EZE, MIA-LIM/BOG/MDE/UIO/SCL/GYE/GIG will see the 787-8 through summer 2021.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:27 pm

AAs product isn't competative , I don't think this is a retaliation thing. No think it's about FLL is a more important city soon

9w748capt

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:31 pm

AC4500 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

Well who does get out a lot these days...? :roll:

A lot of folks, judging by how full AA's flights are. Plenty selfish ignorant people who just can't wait for that vacation. Not that they're getting vaccinated in any case.

Jo8338

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:46 pm

wenders825 wrote:
Jo8338 wrote:

AA isn't bottom fishing when they're filling the premium cabins with higher connecting fares to deep south america and the caribbean. they aren't needing to go after O&D

But they need FLL for O&D

UALFAson

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:49 pm

9w748capt wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

Westbound, DFW-HNL is about 8 hours (yes, I know the OP wrote the eastbound routing). Which, considering CUN, SJD, and MIA/FLL are all 2.5-3ish hours away from DFW, does indeed make it a long flight for someone from the Metroplex hoping to get to a beach destination.

Same thing with CLT-HNL: we're talking about 10 hours each way vs 2-3 each way for much of the Caribbean.

It's no 18 hours SIN-JFK, but your snark is not necessary.

Jo8338

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:50 pm

Seat1D wrote:
This obviously being retribution on B6 starting service out of MIA, I just don't see how AA can directly complete against B6 if AA is using anything other than their widebody or 32T planes. Its for the reason below, I see AA leaving FLL-LAX very quickly (and quietly). I see AA using a MAX for this flight.

B6 MINT equipped 321 VS. AA 737 MAX

Cant even compare MINT to AA 1st class. Advantage B6
Pitch.EMC VS. MCE. B6 37-41 inches to AA's 33 inch. Adv. B6
Pitch Core VS. MC B6 33 inch to AA's 30 inch. Adv. B6
Seat Width B6 19 inch VS. AA 16.6. Adv. B6

B6 PTV at every seat, free premium snacks for all and free wifi, Adv. B6
AA none of the above = AA leaving FLL to LAX very quickly.

The flights were announced with 32Q equipment just as bad as the MAX

Jo8338

Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:32 pm

The demographics are moving up north to Broward and Palm Beach counties. Simple fact.

RainerBoeing777

Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Ishrion wrote:
aacun wrote:

MIA-BOG as well with 4x daily flights, 2x are on the 788.

Earlier today I went through most of AA's South American routes for April and onward and it looks like DFW-BOG/LIM/SCL/EZE, MIA-LIM/BOG/MDE/UIO/SCL/GYE/GIG will see the 787-8 through summer 2021.

you know if AA retrieves the second frequency in EZE and GRU from MIA

Chugach

Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:36 pm

Ishrion wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Looks like AA is also adding ANC-PHX. Interesting indeed.

AA operated ANC-PHX last summer but cut the route when they announced DFW-FAI, ORD-ANC/FAI in late 2019.

Great to see it back, supposedly with the AS partnership. Although, AS just announced it would up ANC-PHX to year-round.

Looks like AA has also just loaded DFW-FAI and ORD-FAI for summer 2021.

Brickell305

Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:39 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
The demographics are moving up north to Broward and Palm Beach counties. Simple fact.

What demographics?

Miamiairport

Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:04 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Jo8338 wrote:

What demographics?

Exactly. Miami is still growing.