OneAA

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:31 pm

PHXWRLD wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:

CLT could provide connections from Brazil to smaller east coast markets that MIA doesn’t have.

They account in total for maybe 1 passenger to Brazil on a good day. Besides, MIA is in fact connected to the smaller markets - Columbia, Greer, Knoxville, Fayetteville, Jackson, Savannah among others all have MIA service. Probably more than 95% of U.S.-Brazil traffic can connect with one stop via MIA. And of the 5% that can’t, almost all of it can connect via DFW. And 95% is generous. The actual number is probably closer to 98 or 99%.

True, but CLT has much better frequency to almost every market which means it can also offer connections to markets like SEA where the timings don’t work in MIA.

Smaller Southeastern cities connect through the main hub in DFW for West Coast flights like SEA. Much better timing / more frequency.

This thread is VERY painful. PHX and CLT boosters tend to not understand the reality of American post merger and where they slot into the network.

BA744PHX

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:50 pm

OneAA wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

They account in total for maybe 1 passenger to Brazil on a good day. Besides, MIA is in fact connected to the smaller markets - Columbia, Greer, Knoxville, Fayetteville, Jackson, Savannah among others all have MIA service. Probably more than 95% of U.S.-Brazil traffic can connect with one stop via MIA. And of the 5% that can’t, almost all of it can connect via DFW. And 95% is generous. The actual number is probably closer to 98 or 99%.

True, but CLT has much better frequency to almost every market which means it can also offer connections to markets like SEA where the timings don’t work in MIA.

Smaller Southeastern cities connect through the main hub in DFW for West Coast flights like SEA. Much better timing / more frequency.

This thread is VERY painful. PHX and CLT boosters tend to not understand the reality of American post merger and where they slot into the network.

Rephrase, its one individually who is making PHX the new DTW on this forum
UA Gold 2020
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-BCN/MAD, FR BCN-MAK, IB MAK-MAD - January
UA EWR-LHR, EWR-YYZ - February

PhilMcCrackin

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm

N62NA wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Ugh, this thread is painful to read. Can we just go back to the 2019 thread or maybe skip to 2021 or maybe sanity will take back over.

I am looking forward to DFW getting more links to the Northeast in 2020.

What in particular is "insanity" in this thread?

Suggesting AA should move all transpacs from LAX to PHX, for starters.

chepos

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
N62NA wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Ugh, this thread is painful to read. Can we just go back to the 2019 thread or maybe skip to 2021 or maybe sanity will take back over.

I am looking forward to DFW getting more links to the Northeast in 2020.

Half of this thread has been spamming with nonsense about PHX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

N628AU

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:56 pm

We are getting trolled by this dude from PHX.

Right???

JohanTally

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:11 am

OneAA wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

I understand CLT does not have the significant originating passengers that LAX DFW and NYC area have but it is the 4th most connected Airport in the USA. Not that unrealistic to expect future international destinations.

Varsity1

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:17 am

PHX is indeed a very good airport!
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

MAH4546

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:55 am

JohanTally wrote:
OneAA wrote:
PHXWRLD wrote:

I understand CLT does not have the significant originating passengers that LAX DFW and NYC area have but it is the 4th most connected Airport in the USA. Not that unrealistic to expect future international destinations.

It is unrealistic to expect Brazil, which is what we are talking about in this case.
a.

Ishrion

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:43 am

Today AA began its limited 777-200ER DFW-LAS-NRT flight for CES2020.

RainerBoeing777

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:45 am

MAH4546 wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
OneAA wrote:

It is unrealistic to expect Brazil, which is what we are talking about in this case.

In the past US Airways flew from CLT to GRU and GIG, the routes disappeared after the merger with AA, now that AA lost as a partner to LATAM, in the future they could return CLT-GRU / GIG
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

N62NA

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:27 am

chepos wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:
N62NA wrote:

Ah, OK. I guess I just glossed over that and didn't pay it much attention. We're gonna get all kinds of posts in a public forum like this, and over the years I guess I've gotten good at ignoring "non-quality" (as I believe they are referred to by the mods here) posts.

jmc1975

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:29 am

As mentioned before, this is an extremely painful thread to navigate. Although I would love nothing more than to see AA pursue something along the lines of a 'PHX 400' expansion plan, the suggestions being posted here by the OP are largely a delusional fantasy.

PHX - Europe:
1) 2x daily PHX-LHR on AA & BA is certainly provides adequate hub-to-hub lift as the flights' schedules compliment each other for PHX-Europe/Beyond connections as well as PHX connections. MAD does not have nearly the demand from PHX and its outbound connections would be largely redundant with LHR. FRA & CDG do not offer any beyond-Europe connectivity for One World, so nonstops on these markets make absolutely no sense. Don't forget that PHX-FRA will be served seasonally this year by BOTH Condor and Eurowings. As for CDG, a LAX-CDG on a daily 788 makes the most sense as an expansion market for AA...not PHX. PHX-CDG would be lucky to eventually be served 2-3x-weekly by (God-forbid) some ULCC like DY.

PHX-Asia:
PHX-SYD is a grand delusion. PHX-NRT is a far more logical possibility in the long-term,but as mentioned before, JL would probably be more likely to fly the route due to aircraft basing and rotations.

PHX-Domestic:
PHX has had a number of new nonstop destinations added or resumed in recent years. I would expect more of the same...we should not be surprised to see some of the seasonal additions be increased to year-round and some of the suspended routes (ie. ANC, BWI, CLE, YEG, YYC, YVR) be reinstated. Although PHX has come a long way in the past 3 years as far as getting more dots connected in the AA network, there are still more dots yet to be connected (ie. BNA,BDL,TUL,XNA,MTY,BIL,BZN,FCA,MSO,HDN, GUC) over time. Secondary East Coast markets like JAX, RIC, ORF, PVD, BUF, RSW, CHS are all well-served via DFW, CLT & ORD, so PHX service would not be likely in the foreseeable future.

CLT-Brazil:
This would be only slightly less egregious than suggesting that AA should offer nonstop PHX-Brazil service. Any important US markets connecting to Brazil can be adequately routed via MIA or DFW.

DFW-Domestic:
The biggest holes in the network at this point are DFW to 3 Upstate New York markets: SYR, ROC and ALB. Other nonstops over the longer-term would include PVD, CRW, ROA, FAY, GRB.

Let's also not forget, there are still a several destinations currently untapped by AA, but served by UA and/or DL, which include: LNK (DFW/ORD), MBS (ORD), PSC (PHX), IDA (PHX/DFW), SUN (PHX), CPR (PHX/DFW), CLD (PHX), ACV (PHX), FMN (PHX/DFW), ISN (DFW/ORD), DHN (DFW/CLT), CSG (CLT), YWG (DFW/ORD)

I apologize if anything I have suggested may have caused any pain. :)
Last edited by jmc1975 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sydscott

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:30 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

In the past US Airways flew from CLT to GRU and GIG, the routes disappeared after the merger with AA, now that AA lost as a partner to LATAM, in the future they could return CLT-GRU / GIG

US AIrways did because US Airways didn't have MIA. Now that the merged entity does have MIA it doesn't need to overfly its key hub for South American traffic to link in CLT. If people want to get to CLT they can connect in MIA and if people want to get to Brazil on AA they can go to LAX, DFW, MIA or JFK. CLT will likely never be connected to Brazil because its traffic, and traffic flow, is redundant within the AA network in terms of getting people to Brazil. Trans-Atlantic, totally different story, but deep South America from CLT isn't going to happen.

chepos

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:42 am

jmc1975 wrote:
As mentioned before, this is an extremely painful thread to navigate. Although I would love nothing more than to see AA pursue something along the lines of a 'PHX 400' expansion plan, the suggestions being posted here by the OP are largely a delusional fantasy.

PHX - Europe:
1) 2x daily PHX-LHR on AA & BA is certainly provides adequate hub-to-hub lift as the flights' schedules compliment each other for PHX-Europe/Beyond connections as well as PHX connections. MAD does not have nearly the demand from PHX and its outbound connections would be largely redundant with LHR. FRA & CDG do not offer any beyond-Europe connectivity for One World, so nonstops on these markets make absolutely no sense. Don't forget that PHX-FRA will be served seasonally this year by BOTH Condor and Eurowings. As for CDG, a LAX-CDG on a daily 788 makes the most sense as an expansion market for AA...not PHX. PHX-CDG would be lucky to eventually be served 2-3x-weekly by (God-forbid) some ULCC like DY.

PHX-Asia:
PHX-SYD is a grand delusion. PHX-NRT is a far more logical possibility in the long-term,but as mentioned before, JL would probably be more likely to fly the route due to aircraft basing and rotations.

PHX-Domestic:
PHX has had a number of new nonstop destinations added or resumed in recent years. I would expect more of the same...we should not be surprised to see some of the seasonal additions be increased to year-round and some of the suspended routes (ie. ANC, BWI, CLE, YEG, YYC, YVR) be reinstated. Although PHX has come a long way in the past 3 years as far as getting more dots connected in the AA network, there are still more dots yet to be connected (ie. BNA,BDL,TUL,XNA,MTY,BIL,BZN,FCA,MSO,HDN, GUC) over time. Over the long term, new spokes currently untapped by AA may include routes such as PHX to: PSC, IDA, CPR, FMN, CLD, ACV, SUN. Secondary East Coast markets like JAX, RIC, ORF, PVD, BUF, RSW, CHS are all well-served via DFW, CLT & ORD, so PHX service would not be likely in the foreseeable future.

CLT-Brazil:
This would be only slightly less egregious than suggesting that AA should offer nonstop PHX-Brazil service. Any important US markets connecting to Brazil can be adequately routed via MIA or DFW.

DFW-Domestic:
The biggest holes in the network at this point are DFW to 3 Upstate New York markets: SYR, ROC and ALB. Other nonstops over the longer-term would include PVD, CRW, ROA, FAY, GRB.

Hate to drag PHX back to the discussion, but PHX-YVR operates during the summer on AA metal.

Fly the Flag!!!!

PhilMcCrackin

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:44 am

N62NA wrote:
chepos wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

Ah, OK. I guess I just glossed over that and didn't pay it much attention. We're gonna get all kinds of posts in a public forum like this, and over the years I guess I've gotten good at ignoring "non-quality" (as I believe they are referred to by the mods here) posts.

Yeah, I find it more fascinating than anything.

I live in PHX too, but I'm realistic about what we are in the grand scheme of things. Maybe NRT on a 788 some day, perhaps FRA on mainline LH beyond what we currently have, but we're not a burgeoning international destination.

cathay747

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:27 pm

jmc1975 wrote:

PHX - Europe:

PHX-Asia:

PHX-Domestic:
PHX has had a number of new nonstop destinations added or resumed in recent years. I would expect more of the same...we should not be surprised to see some of the seasonal additions be increased to year-round and some of the suspended routes (ie. ANC, BWI, CLE, YEG, YYC, YVR) be reinstated. Although PHX has come a long way in the past 3 years as far as getting more dots connected in the AA network, there are still more dots yet to be connected (ie. BNA,BDL,TUL,XNA,MTY,BIL,BZN,FCA,MSO,HDN, GUC) over time. Secondary East Coast markets like JAX, RIC, ORF, PVD, BUF, RSW, CHS are all well-served via DFW, CLT & ORD, so PHX service would not be likely in the foreseeable future.

Good post. You hit all the PHX nails right on the head and provided a much-needed dose of sanity. Thank you.
Try a Little VC-10derness

Ishrion

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:38 pm

The first 788 is about to land in PHL, DFW-PHL AA1328

jplatts

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:10 pm

AA will likely need to order the A220-300, A319neo, A320neo, 737 MAX 7, or similar size aircraft at some point to replace the A319 and A320 planes currently in its fleet.

Which of the following is more likely for AA for an A319/A320 replacement order: A220-300, A319neo, A320neo, or 737 MAX 7?

Ishrion

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
AA will likely need to order the A220-300, A319neo, A320neo, 737 MAX 7, or similar size aircraft at some point to replace the A319 and A320 planes currently in its fleet.

Which of the following is more likely for AA for an A319/A320 replacement order: A220-300, A319neo, A320neo, or 737 MAX 7?

Comac C919 :rotfl:

But seriously, I’m wishing for the A220-300, though I feel like they’d go for the A320neo to compliment the existing A321neo.

American 767

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:03 pm

jplatts wrote:

737MAX7 I don't think so. Because first of all, they never flew the 700 previously, and second of all they don't seem to be really happy with the MAX8. The MAX7 isn't very successful because of its high CASM, same reason as to why the 600 didn't do well. Only Southwest and Westjet ordered the MAX7, and maybe some other low cost operator in Canada. That's it. I don't see American ordering the MAX7.

I see them ordering the A320NEO to replace the initial batch of 738s dating from the late 90s/early 00s, as well as the ex-US A320OEOs, if they decide not to continue with the MAX8. They would fly those on domestic routes out of their major hubs: MIA, DFW, ORD or LAX. The A319NEO I'm not too sure about that one for the same reason I am not sure about the MAX7: high CASM, although it would work very well on routes out of MIA to secondary markets in the Northern part of South America. The A220 would work well too on domestic routes, in particular on NorthEast Shuttle routes out of LGA to DCA and BOS, and on other domestic routes to secondary markets out of their DCA and ORD hubs. Delta seems happy with the A220.
Ben Soriano

AA747123

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:29 pm

AA had Bucharest Romania on their short list for new destinations last year. Wonder if that will ever come up again?

Only in Romanian

https://boardingpass.ro/surse-bucuresti ... -airlines/

Ishrion

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:36 pm

AA747123 wrote:
AA had Bucharest Romania on their short list for new destinations last year. Wonder if that will ever come up again?

Only in Romanian

https://boardingpass.ro/surse-bucuresti ... -airlines/

That was written one day before PHL-CMN, ORD-KRK/PRG/BUD, etc were. announced. Guess it didn’t make the cut.

deltaffindfw

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:00 pm

Ishrion wrote:
The first 788 is about to land in PHL, DFW-PHL AA1328

I was on the flight yesterday. I didn’t know it was the first!

Ishrion

American Airlines Schedules First 787 To Miami

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 am

Looks like this is the first AA route so far to receive the 787 in Miami.

From January 7, 2021, AA will replace the 763 with the 788 on the Montevideo route:

AA989 MIA2245 – 0959+1MVD 788 D
AA984 MVD2059 – 0418+1MIA 788 D

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -jan-2021/

There will very likely be domestic additions (DFW/ORD-MIA) added in the future to ferry the 788 to MIA.

Cointrin330

Re: American Airlines Schedules First 787 To Miami

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Great news. While the 767-300ER is a nice plane to fly on, that is not the case with AA. The airline has underinvested in the product on board for years and the dispatch reliability of the 763 at AA is not good. Glad to see these birds being sunset at AA.

Brickell305

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:23 pm

I figured they’d replace the 763 with the 788 but good to see it confirmed. I think it definitely makes sense to MVD. Good to see MIA finally see this aircraft.

jfk777

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:43 pm

Glad to see first 787 from Miami, surprising to see it to Montevideo. Hopefully many more international 787 will be seen in MIA. This is the type is route an A321LR was made for.

Miamiairport

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Nice and hopefully they will utilize the 788 during the day for trunk runs to PHL and ORD.

Howardt

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:29 pm

They are flying ORD PHL for the airplane to operate to MAN. The routing is ORD-PHL-MAN-PHL-DFW. I just arrived in MAN this morning on ship reg: N810AN.

Nicknuzzii

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:31 pm

I could definitely see the 787 taking over the 767s currently dominating the MIA- PHL route.

JFKCMILAXFLL

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Aww, gotta wait a whole year? :( Oh well, it will probably arrive on Runway 9, so I can get a good pic from my job (assuming easterly flow) :smile:

PHLspecial

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
I could definitely see the 787 taking over the 767s currently dominating the MIA- PHL route.

I feel like they could stick a bunch of A321 on the PHL-MIA route because it's way cheaper. Then again I'm guessing.

Miami

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:05 pm

About time.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Polot

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:25 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

I feel like they could stick a bunch of A321 on the PHL-MIA route because it's way cheaper. Then again I'm guessing.

Widebodies on hub-hub routes like this are often for positioning purposes, not just about raw costs. MVD is currently the only 787 route from MIA scheduled, and MVD is only served from MIA on AA. AA is not going to ferry over and dedicate a single 787 for the route, there will be a future 787 route to physically rotate the 787 in and out of MIA and it will likely be from a domestic hub with a 787 crew base.

divemaster08

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:37 pm

As the plan was to have the 767 retired by 2020 (i thought) this seems very late in the game to add MIA routes in 2021. Guess they have pushed back the retirement time for the 767s.

They were great aircraft at one point, but the 767s need to go now! With the next batch of 787 deliveries, this will help that out.

Hopefully MIA will see some new routes added to when the 787s come in...... Africa maybe??
My dream, is to fly, over the rainbow, so high!

MIflyer12

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Glad to see first 787 from Miami, surprising to see it to Montevideo. Hopefully many more international 787 will be seen in MIA. This is the type is route an A321LR was made for.

Because you want to replace a daily flight with 209 seats with an aircraft that seats ~165? BA declared themselves so bright when they replaced 757s with A319s 20 years ago to drive up yield. How many more 319s did they take after that first tranche? (Looks like just ten after 2001 - that does not speak to wild success.)

cathay747

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm

American 767 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

737MAX7 I don't think so. Because first of all, they never flew the 700 previously, and second of all they don't seem to be really happy with the MAX8. The MAX7 isn't very successful because of its high CASM, same reason as to why the 600 didn't do well. Only Southwest and Westjet ordered the MAX7, and maybe some other low cost operator in Canada. That's it. I don't see American ordering the MAX7.

I see them ordering the A320NEO to replace the initial batch of 738s dating from the late 90s/early 00s, as well as the ex-US A320OEOs, if they decide not to continue with the MAX8. They would fly those on domestic routes out of their major hubs: MIA, DFW, ORD or LAX. The A319NEO I'm not too sure about that one for the same reason I am not sure about the MAX7: high CASM, although it would work very well on routes out of MIA to secondary markets in the Northern part of South America. The A220 would work well too on domestic routes, in particular on NorthEast Shuttle routes out of LGA to DCA and BOS, and on other domestic routes to secondary markets out of their DCA and ORD hubs. Delta seems happy with the A220.

All very valid points which I agree with. I'm thinking the A220-300 would be ideal given how versatile that airplane is. It's not just DL that loves it...from everything I've read, Bombardier really created a home-run which Airbus smartly took over. Again from what I've read, it seems AA could use the A223 for just about anything from the Northeast Shuttles to thinner trans-con's!!

Ishrion

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:50 pm

divemaster08 wrote:
As the plan was to have the 767 retired by 2020 (i thought) this seems very late in the game to add MIA routes in 2021. Guess they have pushed back the retirement time for the 767s.

They were great aircraft at one point, but the 767s need to go now! With the next batch of 787 deliveries, this will help that out.

Hopefully MIA will see some new routes added to when the 787s come in...... Africa maybe??

I think the latest AA fleet plans in July showed them having 5 763s left in the end of 2020.

FSDan

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:54 pm

Polot wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Widebodies on hub-hub routes like this are often for positioning purposes, not just about raw costs. MVD is currently the only 787 route from MIA scheduled, and MVD is only served from MIA on AA. AA is not going to ferry over and dedicate a single 787 for the route, there will be a future 787 route to physically rotate the 787 in and out of MIA and it will likely be from a domestic hub with a 787 crew base.

Domestic widebodies can serve a purpose on the cargo side of the operation as well. With airports such as MIA, PHL, and ORD transporting large volumes of air cargo, it's helpful to be able to accommodate a larger number of containers between hubs.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Polot

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:15 pm

cathay747 wrote:
American 767 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

All very valid points which I agree with. I'm thinking the A220-300 would be ideal given how versatile that airplane is. It's not just DL that loves it...from everything I've read, Bombardier really created a home-run which Airbus smartly took over. Again from what I've read, it seems AA could use the A223 for just about anything from the Northeast Shuttles to thinner trans-con's!!

I don’t really seeing AA getting A223s anytime soon mostly because the decently sized PMAA A319 fleet is so young. I would expect them to stick with those (and the PMUS A319s of course) and cheap used A319s to deal with their requirements for that size category for now.

AA has high debt, they really need to focus on how they spend their money for new planes wisely which probably means wide bodies and larger narrow bodies.

UpNAWAy

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
I figured they’d replace the 763 with the 788 but good to see it confirmed. I think it definitely makes sense to MVD. Good to see MIA finally see this aircraft.

Actually the Dispatch Reliability was the highest it has ever been this past year for AA and the B767. But they are still not as reliable and they are very worn on the inside.

cathay747

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 pm

Polot wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
American 767 wrote:

I don’t really seeing AA getting A223s anytime soon mostly because the decently sized PMAA A319 fleet is so young. I would expect them to stick with those (and the PMUS A319s of course) and cheap used A319s to deal with their requirements for that size category for now.

AA has high debt, they really need to focus on how they spend their money for new planes wisely which probably means wide bodies and larger narrow bodies.

Agreed...I should have specified that I meant "eventually", not any time soon.

Ishrion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:16 pm

AA names new VP of Network/Scheduling - Brian Znotins: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

Previous VP Network from WestJet, who helped lead three hubs and establish the JV (Delta I’m assuming)

Before WestJet, he worked 17 years at United/Continental.

This sounds interesting...

jetmatt777

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Interesting. I liked Brian personally, but he was partly responsible for UA's conservative and timid route network. Notice how United became much more aggressive once Znotins was out?
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Ishrion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:42 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Interesting. I liked Brian personally, but he was partly responsible for UA's conservative and timid route network. Notice how United became much more aggressive once Znotins was out?

Well, that would be contrasting to AA’s current European strategy.

What routes has WestJet added in the past 3 years? BCN, DUB, FCO?

jplatts

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm

AA is currently facing a plane shortage due to the 737 MAX grounding and the retirement of its MD-80's.

AA had 806 narrowbody mainline planes in service (including the 737 MAX's that were in service prior to the 737 MAX grounding) in March 2019 prior to the 737 MAX grounding whereas AA currently only has 770 narrowbody mainline planes in service (not including the 737 MAX planes that are grounded).

There will be more used 737-800's that will become available in the next 4 years with SK replacing its 737-800's with A320neos. AA might be able to pick up some used 737-800's from SK in order to address the fleet shortage that it is facing due to the 737 MAX grounding. SK's plans to replace 737NG planes with A320neos also isn't delayed by the 737 MAX grounding as SK currently doesn't have any 737 MAX planes on order.

AA might also be able to pick up some used A319 planes from DL if DL is planning on getting rid of some A319 planes once it takes delivery of some A320-200 planes.

FSDan

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:39 pm

jplatts wrote:
AA might also be able to pick up some used A319 planes from DL if DL is planning on getting rid of some A319 planes once it takes delivery of some A320-200 planes.

To the best of my knowledge, DL has not announced any intentions to retire any of their A319s. And they aren't particularly new A319s to begin with, all having been inherited from NW, so I doubt they'd be attractive to AA even if DL did hypothetically start to retire them. Additionally, DL is not scheduled to take delivery of any A320s in the future, so I'm not sure where that statement came from.

jplatts

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 pm

FSDan wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, DL has not announced any intentions to retire any of their A319s. And they aren't particularly new A319s to begin with, all having been inherited from NW, so I doubt they'd be attractive to AA even if DL did hypothetically start to retire them. Additionally, DL is not scheduled to take delivery of any A320s in the future, so I'm not sure where that statement came from.

I actually meant A220-300s (the larger variant of the A220 that DL is going to be taking delivery of starting this year) instead of A320-300s.

apodino

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:26 am

Ishrion wrote:
AA names new VP of Network/Scheduling - Brian Znotins: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

Previous VP Network from WestJet, who helped lead three hubs and establish the JV (Delta I’m assuming)

Before WestJet, he worked 17 years at United/Continental.

This sounds interesting...

This is a very curious hire. According to the release he will be reporting to Vasu Raja, who would still appear to have most of the say as far as network planning goes, so I am not sure where Znotins ultimately will fit in.

On a related note as far as United type stuff, this week AA has quietly downgraded two of the LGA-ORD roundtrips to Envoy E175s. Now its just two, but I believe this is the first time I have ever heard of Eagle doing the LGA-ORD route, a route that has always been all mainline at AA, even when United was running a mix of Express and Mainline on this route. I don't see how putting 170s on the LGA-ORD round trip will help keep Business Travelers loyal to AA. This to me looks like an unforced error.

FSDan

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:59 am

apodino wrote:
On a related note as far as United type stuff, this week AA has quietly downgraded two of the LGA-ORD roundtrips to Envoy E175s. Now its just two, but I believe this is the first time I have ever heard of Eagle doing the LGA-ORD route, a route that has always been all mainline at AA, even when United was running a mix of Express and Mainline on this route. I don't see how putting 170s on the LGA-ORD round trip will help keep Business Travelers loyal to AA. This to me looks like an unforced error.

I dunno... Assuming the downgauged flights aren't at peak morning or afternoon times when the capacity is really needed, I suspect it might actually be a more pleasant experience to be on an Envoy E175 vs an AA 738.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos