Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
GW54
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:05 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:04 am

I'm assuming ZK-OJK was on a end of lease or pre delivery customer acceptance flight. ZK-OJD back Monday operating domestic services and finishing the day over the Tasman to Sydney.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1598
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:18 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Gasman wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Speaking of diversions QF8 A380 DFW/SYD is currently in AKL, I’m picking for several hours waiting for a new crew, already diverted to NAN this morning presumably for fuel. Poor pax on that one.


Anyone know if it's left AKL yet? Doesn't seem to have according to FR24. Those poor pax are running at least 12 hours behind schedule, and get to experience the QF lounge at AKL. Frightening.



Not yet, 1900 ETD, a lonnnng day for Those poor pax.

They sent a 789 from BNE, not sure if the new crew were on that but I’m guessing they were, though maybe not pilots as they don’t fly the A380 to BNE but maybe some live there.


I've not read much today but did I see this flight diverted to NAN as well?

Was NAN a fuel stop and then AKL crew hours limitation or was something else up?

I wonder if they knew when they left NAN that they'd need to stop in AKL as well. Wonder why they didn't just stay in NAN
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:32 am

NZ6 wrote:
?

Was NAN a fuel stop and then AKL crew hours limitation or was something else up?

I wonder if they knew when they left NAN that they'd need to stop in AKL as well. Wonder why they didn't just stay in NAN


Maybe there was more of an chance of getting an replacement crew together in AKL? And the ability to shift some the customers onto other flights across the Tasman?

JetConnect has large cabin crew pool in AKL, with some of them being Long-Haul and a388 trained.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am

Looking at flight radar QF7007 left AKL, at 20:21 operates by an 789.

So assuming that the a388 is still stuck in AKL? Waiting for crew to ferry it back to SYD? Take it this must if had an bit of an knock on effect on QF’s long haul ops today?
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7500
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 am

NZ6 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Gasman wrote:

Anyone know if it's left AKL yet? Doesn't seem to have according to FR24. Those poor pax are running at least 12 hours behind schedule, and get to experience the QF lounge at AKL. Frightening.



Not yet, 1900 ETD, a lonnnng day for Those poor pax.

They sent a 789 from BNE, not sure if the new crew were on that but I’m guessing they were, though maybe not pilots as they don’t fly the A380 to BNE but maybe some live there.


I've not read much today but did I see this flight diverted to NAN as well?

Was NAN a fuel stop and then AKL crew hours limitation or was something else up?

I wonder if they knew when they left NAN that they'd need to stop in AKL as well. Wonder why they didn't just stay in NAN


I did read NAN was medical, it doesn’t seem like it was on the ground for long though and they must have taken on fuel aswel. AKL had to be crew hours.

They sent a 789 from BNE which then did AKL-SYD, I’m guessing they couldn’t get a crew for the A380? The A380 positioned AKL-SYD? It left after 1900.
 
mrkerr7474
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:20 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:


Not yet, 1900 ETD, a lonnnng day for Those poor pax.

They sent a 789 from BNE, not sure if the new crew were on that but I’m guessing they were, though maybe not pilots as they don’t fly the A380 to BNE but maybe some live there.


I've not read much today but did I see this flight diverted to NAN as well?

Was NAN a fuel stop and then AKL crew hours limitation or was something else up?

I wonder if they knew when they left NAN that they'd need to stop in AKL as well. Wonder why they didn't just stay in NAN


I did read NAN was medical, it doesn’t seem like it was on the ground for long though and they must have taken on fuel aswel. AKL had to be crew hours.

They sent a 789 from BNE which then did AKL-SYD, I’m guessing they couldn’t get a crew for the A380? The A380 positioned AKL-SYD? It left after 1900.


Also reading that NAN was a medical and AKL crew hours.

The A380 continued AKL to SYD as QF8D just after 7pm local time. The 789 that was sent from BNE then positioned AKL to SYD as QF7008 shortly after the QF8D flight left. Assuming the crew that did the original QF8 which ran out of hours would have been on ferry flight back to SYD.
 
Gasman
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:06 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:24 am

Galley chiller failure on NZ192 ADL-AKL ZK-NZD today. Compensation for Y pax was a $10 voucher and a "snack box" in flight. Suboptimal, if you ask me. While $10 may in fact be way over the actual monetary value of an inflight meal, it significantly affects the enjoyment of the flight and ADL-AKL is a four hour trip. I'd have thought $50 as compensation would be more appropriate.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 am

Gasman wrote:
Galley chiller failure on NZ192 ADL-AKL ZK-NZD today. Compensation for Y pax was a $10 voucher and a "snack box" in flight. Suboptimal, if you ask me. While $10 may in fact be way over the actual monetary value of an inflight meal, it significantly affects the enjoyment of the flight and ADL-AKL is a four hour trip. I'd have thought $50 as compensation would be more appropriate.


More than I got on VA AKl-SYD on Christmas Eve, was delayed 4hrs got an $8 voucher (that was flying J too)
 
Gasman
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:06 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:27 am

zkncj wrote:
Gasman wrote:
Galley chiller failure on NZ192 ADL-AKL ZK-NZD today. Compensation for Y pax was a $10 voucher and a "snack box" in flight. Suboptimal, if you ask me. While $10 may in fact be way over the actual monetary value of an inflight meal, it significantly affects the enjoyment of the flight and ADL-AKL is a four hour trip. I'd have thought $50 as compensation would be more appropriate.


More than I got on VA AKl-SYD on Christmas Eve, was delayed 4hrs got an $8 voucher (that was flying J too)


I've never been compensated for a delay (that didn't involve an unplanned overnight stay) in my life! At least you still got fed on the flight though, yes?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:18 am

Gasman wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Gasman wrote:
Galley chiller failure on NZ192 ADL-AKL ZK-NZD today. Compensation for Y pax was a $10 voucher and a "snack box" in flight. Suboptimal, if you ask me. While $10 may in fact be way over the actual monetary value of an inflight meal, it significantly affects the enjoyment of the flight and ADL-AKL is a four hour trip. I'd have thought $50 as compensation would be more appropriate.


More than I got on VA AKl-SYD on Christmas Eve, was delayed 4hrs got an $8 voucher (that was flying J too)


I've never been compensated for a delay (that didn't involve an unplanned overnight stay) in my life! At least you still got fed on the flight though, yes?


New Zealand and Australian passengers aren’t protected well in case like this unlike in the EU or US were the airlines must pay out for the delay.

For example in the EU if you flight under 1500km is delayed for 3 or more hours, you are able to claim around 250euro! Even if you purchase an 1Euro ticket on Ryan Air.

It helps keeps airlines accountable etc

Or if the airline cancels your flight within 14 days of departure, you are entitled to compensation... NZ would get caught out this one frequently at the moment. The oh sorry we’ve canceled your flight, but hey we have re-booked you into an a321 a couple of hours later.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:07 am

Screening flights from Australia is "under active consideration," he said.

Source https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12303690

Would hate to think how AKL would handle that one if brought in?
 
mrkerr7474
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 am

zkncj wrote:
Screening flights from Australia is "under active consideration," he said.

Source https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12303690

Would hate to think how AKL would handle that one if brought in?


Not sure AKL would be the only area that this would be brought it, surely it would need to be all major ports into NZ?

It's almost as if everyone leaving China needs to be medically passed as not having the virus before allowed travel to try minimise the virus spreading further and quicker around the globe. Not sure how viable that is of course but would have thought one way to try stop the spread far and wide.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2842
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:40 am

Gasman wrote:
Galley chiller failure on NZ192 ADL-AKL ZK-NZD today. Compensation for Y pax was a $10 voucher and a "snack box" in flight. Suboptimal, if you ask me. While $10 may in fact be way over the actual monetary value of an inflight meal, it significantly affects the enjoyment of the flight and ADL-AKL is a four hour trip. I'd have thought $50 as compensation would be more appropriate.

Just be thankful the $10 voucher and snack box wasn't for a PER-AKL flight- wouldn't be surprised the same spend limit would apply. FYI some in-flight snack boxes have been quite tasty,, although I don't think anything these days would surpass LH's intra-Europe boxes back in the 80's.
 
NZ321
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:08 pm

zkncj wrote:
Gasman wrote:
zkncj wrote:

New Zealand and Australian passengers aren’t protected well in case like this unlike in the EU or US were the airlines must pay out for the delay.

For example in the EU if you flight under 1500km is delayed for 3 or more hours, you are able to claim around 250euro! Even if you purchase an 1Euro ticket on Ryan Air.

It helps keeps airlines accountable etc



Maybe but I have been delayed (business class) with a night on the floor in the business lounge in Munich because beds were full (thunderstorms) and Shengen Convention (as quoted by LH) meant no compensation was due. Nobody got a euro. In such a circumstance when you would expect it, it wasn't there and "EU rules" meant no compensation was due and the airline just passed the buck with about 250 of its premium fare paying passengers. It wasn't well received by me or any others but what is one left to do? Nothing to do but suck it up.
Plane mad!
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:30 pm

mrkerr7474 wrote:

It's almost as if everyone leaving China needs to be medically passed as not having the virus before allowed travel to try minimise the virus spreading further and quicker around the globe. Not sure how viable that is of course but would have thought one way to try stop the spread far and wide.


That would be to hard to enforce, test can take an day or two for results to come back. Which in that time someone that was virus free, could now have caught it.

I think I would be more worried about the measles problem in New Zealand, than this virus at the moment.
 
Gasman
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:06 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:46 pm

NZ321 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Gasman wrote:


Maybe but I have been delayed (business class) with a night on the floor in the business lounge in Munich because beds were full (thunderstorms) and Shengen Convention (as quoted by LH) meant no compensation was due. Nobody got a euro. In such a circumstance when you would expect it, it wasn't there and "EU rules" meant no compensation was due and the airline just passed the buck with about 250 of its premium fare paying passengers. It wasn't well received by me or any others but what is one left to do? Nothing to do but suck it up.


LH wouldn't get a Euro of mine ever again if that was me.

The fact that no legal process (yet) exists to protect us from situations you describe is astonishing. In the meantime, voting with our wallets is the only leverage we have.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:16 am

I had been avoiding NZ recently - just flying on NZ734 BNE-AKL tonight, is it normal for them now to take over an hour after take-off to start the dinner service on an smooth flight?

Feels like the service has gone down hill, maybe been using QF/VA to much on the Tasman now.
 
777ER
Head Moderator
Posts: 10110
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:16 pm

zkncj wrote:
I had been avoiding NZ recently - just flying on NZ734 BNE-AKL tonight, is it normal for them now to take over an hour after take-off to start the dinner service on an smooth flight?

Feels like the service has gone down hill, maybe been using QF/VA to much on the Tasman now.

Found the same on AKL-RAR (777) and RAR-AKL (321) in October. Was nearly half way through a movie before any announcement on meal/drinks came
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR
 
NZ516
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm

On Radio NZ yesterday there was a report on Air NZ. They mentioned that the $20 million that the airline will get from selling the LHR slots will cover the $20 million costs associated with closing down the London crew base including the redundancies costs. The company is expecting $80 million in new expenses related to foreign exchange hedges. No mention about a possible Chinese tourism downturn but I expect there will be an impact in the financial period.
 
PA515
Posts: 1606
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:58 pm

NZ516 wrote:
On Radio NZ yesterday there was a report on Air NZ. They mentioned that the $20 million that the airline will get from selling the LHR slots will cover the $20 million costs associated with closing down the London crew base including the redundancies costs. The company is expecting $80 million in new expenses related to foreign exchange hedges. No mention about a possible Chinese tourism downturn but I expect there will be an impact in the financial period.


The 28 Jan 2020 NZX announcement says the LHR slots have been sold for NZD42M, half of which will be accounted for in FY2020 and the other half in FY2021. The announcement says the slots have been sold to 'an undisclosed party'.

https://nzx.com/companies/AIR/announcements

PA515
 
NZ516
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:34 am

Airfare skirmish: Air New Zealand and Airports NZ trade blows

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12303919

The airlines is offering low below $100 airfares more and more every year. But challenges remain for the airports it seems.

Air New Zealand faces $46m accounting hit, updates earnings guidance

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12303858

Although more costs are being faced by Air NZ their expected profit guidance remains the same between $350 and $400 million. Which is a very good result despite the tough business environment..
 
Gasman
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:06 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:47 am

PA515 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
On Radio NZ yesterday there was a report on Air NZ. They mentioned that the $20 million that the airline will get from selling the LHR slots will cover the $20 million costs associated with closing down the London crew base including the redundancies costs. The company is expecting $80 million in new expenses related to foreign exchange hedges. No mention about a possible Chinese tourism downturn but I expect there will be an impact in the financial period.


The 28 Jan 2020 NZX announcement says the LHR slots have been sold for NZD42M, half of which will be accounted for in FY2020 and the other half in FY2021. The announcement says the slots have been sold to 'an undisclosed party'.

https://nzx.com/companies/AIR/announcements

PA515


I've been predicting NZ's withdrawal from LHR for about 10 years now, which makes it surprising that I'm finding the fact that it's now happening really sad :(
 
User avatar
Zkpilot
Posts: 4522
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:00 am

zkncj wrote:
I had been avoiding NZ recently - just flying on NZ734 BNE-AKL tonight, is it normal for them now to take over an hour after take-off to start the dinner service on an smooth flight?

Feels like the service has gone down hill, maybe been using QF/VA to much on the Tasman now.

Yes that is very unusual. A320/1 crews normally are out of their seats about 5-10 mins after takeoff and meal service usually starts about 25 mins after that (30-40 mins after takeoff - meals have to be cooked first of course). Are you sure they weren’t out doing lots of special meals first? They can take a lot of time and they don’t usually announce the meal service until after those have been hand delivered... (which with so many people now being Gluten Free/Vegan/Vegetarian can take a long time).
Could be any number of other reasons (expecting turbulence, medical/other issues).
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7500
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:11 am

QF sent 744 VH-OEF on QF145/148 SYD-AKL today in place of a broken A330, probably the final time for this aircraft to AKL as it is due to retire on FEB 9th.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1598
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 am

zkncj wrote:
I had been avoiding NZ recently - just flying on NZ734 BNE-AKL tonight, is it normal for them now to take over an hour after take-off to start the dinner service on an smooth flight?

Feels like the service has gone down hill, maybe been using QF/VA to much on the Tasman now.


It looks like we've got 3 pretty good airlines if deciding on your airline of choice comes down to the timing of their meal service. Just sayin'
 
NZ6
Posts: 1598
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:58 am

Gasman wrote:
Galley chiller failure on NZ192 ADL-AKL ZK-NZD today. Compensation for Y pax was a $10 voucher and a "snack box" in flight. Suboptimal, if you ask me. While $10 may in fact be way over the actual monetary value of an inflight meal, it significantly affects the enjoyment of the flight and ADL-AKL is a four hour trip. I'd have thought $50 as compensation would be more appropriate.


It's not ideal and $10 is a bit of a why bother level, but looking ahead, $343 seems to be common fare online (W) class. $50 is $15% of the airfare, factor in, you've still got your 'snack box', movies, seat selection alcoholic beverages etc so you've still got value for the majority of the product purchased and as you highlight the meal is not 15% of the airline cost.

Not sure how else or what else you can offer in scenarios like this.

I've often missed my first meal preference and been disappointed or actually had a dislike for the second choice. Especially in breakfast when sometimes the alternative is cereal.

I do appreciate there's a customer satisfaction point and the airline cost element here...

What's the appropriate action for the airline, because at the end of the day $50 doesn't change anything and if they've provided a 'snack box' arguably they've met all legal requirements around providing the service paid for as they've probably done so.. therefore it's a customer good faith thing.

I'm not defending them, I don't think $10 is right but I think $50 or a full refund is also a bit over the top.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12983
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:50 am

NZ321 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Gasman wrote:


Maybe but I have been delayed (business class) with a night on the floor in the business lounge in Munich because beds were full (thunderstorms) and Shengen Convention (as quoted by LH) meant no compensation was due. Nobody got a euro. In such a circumstance when you would expect it, it wasn't there and "EU rules" meant no compensation was due and the airline just passed the buck with about 250 of its premium fare paying passengers. It wasn't well received by me or any others but what is one left to do? Nothing to do but suck it up.


Thunderstorms are outside of LH's control, in saying that I have received thousands of EUR's in compensation over the years due to flights delayed by technical issues, crew timing out and various other problems. I use a service to make the claims refund.de, they take a small cut, its much easier for them to do the leg work them me.
 
NZ321
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:58 pm

So with BA having halted flights to China and VS poised to follow suit, UAL having announced significant reduction in flying and possible halt of flights between US and China, what are NZ's plans re PVG? Not to mention other mainland Chinese carrier flights to NZ? Haven't seen anything yet about this. Thoughts?
Plane mad!
 
NZ516
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:53 pm

Gasman wrote:
PA515 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
On Radio NZ yesterday there was a report on Air NZ. They mentioned that the $20 million that the airline will get from selling the LHR slots will cover the $20 million costs associated with closing down the London crew base including the redundancies costs. The company is expecting $80 million in new expenses related to foreign exchange hedges. No mention about a possible Chinese tourism downturn but I expect there will be an impact in the financial period.


The 28 Jan 2020 NZX announcement says the LHR slots have been sold for NZD42M, half of which will be accounted for in FY2020 and the other half in FY2021. The announcement says the slots have been sold to 'an undisclosed party'.

https://nzx.com/companies/AIR/announcements

PA515


I've been predicting NZ's withdrawal from LHR for about 10 years now, which makes it surprising that I'm finding the fact that it's now happening really sad :(


Indeed it is sad. A shame that they could not try to make it work with an adjustment like via SIN or BKK which would be a shorter route and use a more fuel savy 787 over the 77W.
Meanwhile Emirates has announced another new 5th freedom route to Penang. Some airlines have no problem making them work although maybe Emirates gets access to cheaper finance than NZ does along with other benefits. But that is a bit off the topic.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:23 pm

NZ321 wrote:
So with BA having halted flights to China and VS poised to follow suit, UAL having announced significant reduction in flying and possible halt of flights between US and China, what are NZ's plans re PVG? Not to mention other mainland Chinese carrier flights to NZ? Haven't seen anything yet about this. Thoughts?


I think the move would be very political, and even though NZ operates as an seperate business from the Government, it probably requires Government approval for anything like this when it comes to China.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1598
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:40 am

NZ516 wrote:
Indeed it is sad. A shame that they could not try to make it work with an adjustment like via SIN or BKK which would be a shorter route and use a more fuel savy 787 over the 77W.
Meanwhile Emirates has announced another new 5th freedom route to Penang. Some airlines have no problem making them work although maybe Emirates gets access to cheaper finance than NZ does along with other benefits. But that is a bit off the topic.


Does NZ have 5th freedom rights between SIN/BKK and LHR? How did HKG-LHR work out performance wise?

Does SQ want NZ on SIN-LHR as a partner or would this destroy the NZ/SQ alliance?

What does BKK offer that LAX doesn't?

The fundamental issue still exists... it costs a a lot more to fly pax on multiple longhaul sectors, therefore it's cheaper to fly them on alliance partners. This has been exaggerated with the discount Chinese carriers lowing airfares.

I don't see how via the east this changes anything?

If anything, in the case of BKK you're moving from a strong intermediate point, to a lower yield outbound tourist market with less and more seasonal demand than LAX.

EK is a global mega brand.. PEN-SIN-DXB connects PEN with almost all of Europe on their own metal and makes some sense not exactly the same as NZ and their situation.
 
Gasman
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:06 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:03 am

NZ516 wrote:
Gasman wrote:
PA515 wrote:

The 28 Jan 2020 NZX announcement says the LHR slots have been sold for NZD42M, half of which will be accounted for in FY2020 and the other half in FY2021. The announcement says the slots have been sold to 'an undisclosed party'.

https://nzx.com/companies/AIR/announcements

PA515


I've been predicting NZ's withdrawal from LHR for about 10 years now, which makes it surprising that I'm finding the fact that it's now happening really sad :(


Indeed it is sad. A shame that they could not try to make it work with an adjustment like via SIN or BKK which would be a shorter route and use a more fuel savy 787 over the 77W.
Meanwhile Emirates has announced another new 5th freedom route to Penang. Some airlines have no problem making them work although maybe Emirates gets access to cheaper finance than NZ does along with other benefits. But that is a bit off the topic.


I saw the writing on the wall for LHR when NZ ditched the 744. With that, they lost an important point of difference. People from New Zealand fly to LHR on EK, SQ and QF partly because they know they get decent aircraft. As would have been some of the attraction for US citizens flying NZ LAX-LHR.

One thing is certain, NZ wouldn't have made the decision frivolously, and as far as the short term balance sheet goes at least, it will be the right decision. But NZ kicking ass with 744s into LHR was always a point of nationalistic pride for me, and we've gone from that to them selling the slots. (I'd put a crying face in here were it not for the fact that the emojis on this website are complete pants).
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:07 am

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/119149772/coronavirus-no-coronavirus-cases-in-new-zealand-as-plans-to-evacuate-kiwis-from-wuhan-still-to-come

NZ is to operate an Wuhan EVAC flight, as joint Australia and New Zealand operation.

Take it, it will stop in Christmas Island for the way home to drop the Australians off.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7500
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:16 am

NZ6 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
Indeed it is sad. A shame that they could not try to make it work with an adjustment like via SIN or BKK which would be a shorter route and use a more fuel savy 787 over the 77W.
Meanwhile Emirates has announced another new 5th freedom route to Penang. Some airlines have no problem making them work although maybe Emirates gets access to cheaper finance than NZ does along with other benefits. But that is a bit off the topic.


Does NZ have 5th freedom rights between SIN/BKK and LHR? How did HKG-LHR work out performance wise?

Does SQ want NZ on SIN-LHR as a partner or would this destroy the NZ/SQ alliance?

What does BKK offer that LAX doesn't?

The fundamental issue still exists... it costs a a lot more to fly pax on multiple longhaul sectors, therefore it's cheaper to fly them on alliance partners. This has been exaggerated with the discount Chinese carriers lowing airfares.

I don't see how via the east this changes anything?

If anything, in the case of BKK you're moving from a strong intermediate point, to a lower yield outbound tourist market with less and more seasonal demand than LAX.

EK is a global mega brand.. PEN-SIN-DXB connects PEN with almost all of Europe on their own metal and makes some sense not exactly the same as NZ and their situation.


Yes it is indeed sad, the reality is AFAIK is that LHR is profitable but as NZ6 says and has been said before with NZ dropping many fifth freedom routes is the cost of operating them, the aircraft can be used more efficiently ex AKL, dropping LHR frees up 1 frame. NZ don’t have anymore long haul aircraft to be delivered until the 78J in 2022 which depending on the market will depend on if they are for immediate growth or straight 772 replacements, meaning they need aircraft now to grow so LHR goes now, it always seemed a matter of when not if LHR would go.

As to EK they have dropped several tag ons where there is competition like SIN-MEL/BNE AKL-SYD/MEL/BNE, BKK-SYD. While they are looking for opportunities like ATH-EWR, AKL-DPS where there is no year round competition only seasonal.
 
NZ1
Head Moderator
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 1:32 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:37 am

End of an era for the Air NZ ATR72-500 fleet with the last scheduled service being NZ5383 next Sunday night (9th Feb) WLG-CHC.
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator
 
zkncj
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:20 am

Air New Zealand chief medical officer, Dr Ben Johnston, said in a video released by the airline that it "already has in place very thorough aircraft cleaning procedures. And those procedures are applied every day and the cleaning agents that are used are effective against viruses like coronavirus

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/119142909/airline-cleaning-standards-differ-during-coronovirus-outbreak

Who knew it, NZ cleans that cabins? That has to be the biggest joke ever, some of the dirties cabins I’ve encounter happen to in PE/J on NZ.
 
User avatar
hic787
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:52 am

zkncj wrote:
Air New Zealand chief medical officer, Dr Ben Johnston, said in a video released by the airline that it "already has in place very thorough aircraft cleaning procedures. And those procedures are applied every day and the cleaning agents that are used are effective against viruses like coronavirus

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/119142909/airline-cleaning-standards-differ-during-coronovirus-outbreak

Who knew it, NZ cleans that cabins? That has to be the biggest joke ever, some of the dirties cabins I’ve encounter happen to in PE/J on NZ.


If i'm gonna be a passenger on the next flight after this Wuhan aircraft, i'd really like to think it's been cleaned/fumigated a big more thoroughly than the standard procedure. Maybe they could've worded that press release a bit differently - not very reassuring to me at least!
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7500
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 am

zkncj wrote:
Air New Zealand chief medical officer, Dr Ben Johnston, said in a video released by the airline that it "already has in place very thorough aircraft cleaning procedures. And those procedures are applied every day and the cleaning agents that are used are effective against viruses like coronavirus

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/119142909/airline-cleaning-standards-differ-during-coronovirus-outbreak

Who knew it, NZ cleans that cabins? That has to be the biggest joke ever, some of the dirties cabins I’ve encounter happen to in PE/J on NZ.


You are very critical, I hope you let the flight crew know to tell their managers and pass this on to upper management. I'm not saying you are wrong btw.

I think this article is more talking about disinfecting aircraft arriving from high risk places rather than "general" cleanliness.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1598
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:40 am

zkncj wrote:
Air New Zealand chief medical officer, Dr Ben Johnston, said in a video released by the airline that it "already has in place very thorough aircraft cleaning procedures. And those procedures are applied every day and the cleaning agents that are used are effective against viruses like coronavirus

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/119142909/airline-cleaning-standards-differ-during-coronovirus-outbreak

Who knew it, NZ cleans that cabins? That has to be the biggest joke ever, some of the dirties cabins I’ve encounter happen to in PE/J on NZ.


Last week you said you won't fly NZ again because they served dinner too long (1 hour) into a 3 hour flight. Now you claim to be surprised that NZ actually cleans their premium cabins.

Is this constructive or intentional NZ bashing because they're an 'easy target' or some other reason?

In general I find the aircraft in our part of the world presented in really good condition and I've flown JQ,VA,NZ and QF within the last 12 months. Have you been on a range of flights within Asia or America. I had the joy of flying an AA MD80 in '18 and Tiger in Asia in '15. Boy they made our airlines look pristine.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11132
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - January 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:54 pm

Please continue discussion in New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1440177
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos