Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 pm

BW600 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
AA has suspended GEO (from both MIA and JFK) along with most of its South America network due to drop off in demand from COVID-19.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx


Seems strange that GEO was cut but others in the region remain unaffected.

Will be interesting to see what BW does. Dire times ahead for sure. Their regional expansion must sure be on hold now. Those new ATR lease payments will start adding up.

MIA-GEO I get as I’m sure that route depends heavily on business traffic which has been heavily restricted in recent weeks and there’s not much VFR or tourism to bolster it otherwise. JFK-GEO must simply be low demand at the moment. Caribbean-Central American routes out of JFK like MBJ, ANU, SJO may still have some spring break travel and maybe that’s why AA hasn’t touched those yet.
 
caribny
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:10 pm

JFK GEO is busy over Easter so AA dropping the route says something. B6 is supposed to start service in a few weeks.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:36 pm

BW600 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
AA has suspended GEO (from both MIA and JFK) along with most of its South America network due to drop off in demand from COVID-19.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx


Seems strange that GEO was cut but others in the region remain unaffected.

Will be interesting to see what BW does. Dire times ahead for sure. Their regional expansion must sure be on hold now. Those new ATR lease payments will start adding up.


If GEO was that easy to cut, goes to show perhaps what the GEO market can sustain. B6's inaugural is slated for April 02. I wonder if that's still on.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 pm

BW600 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
AA has suspended GEO (from both MIA and JFK) along with most of its South America network due to drop off in demand from COVID-19.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx


Seems strange that GEO was cut but others in the region remain unaffected.

Will be interesting to see what BW does. Dire times ahead for sure. Their regional expansion must sure be on hold now. Those new ATR lease payments will start adding up.


If GEO was that easy to cut, goes to show perhaps what the GEO market can sustain. B6's inaugural is slated for April 02. I wonder if that's still on.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.
 
baje427
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:46 pm

BGI will see 2 LH 744's and 2 A346's today to help with the repatriation of Germans. I suspect the Trinidadian government will assist BW in this downturn perhaps if the humming bird was bigger it would work but this new livery is a no for me. I am not too sure about LI's viability given that all the islands which fund them will be in economic free fall shortly..
 
caribny
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:15 pm

baje427 wrote:
BGI will see 2 LH 744's and 2 A346's today to help with the repatriation of Germans. I suspect the Trinidadian government will assist BW in this downturn perhaps if the humming bird was bigger it would work but this new livery is a no for me. I am not too sure about LI's viability given that all the islands which fund them will be in economic free fall shortly..


Source markets will be in free fall and the last thing that people will be concerned about will be a Caribbean vacation. Even many overseas based Caribbean people might be loathe to return home on visits out of fear of infecting their elderly relatives. This will be 9/11 combined with 2008/9.
 
caribny
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:17 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
BW600 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
AA has suspended GEO (from both MIA and JFK) along with most of its South America network due to drop off in demand from COVID-19.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx


Seems strange that GEO was cut but others in the region remain unaffected.

Will be interesting to see what BW does. Dire times ahead for sure. Their regional expansion must sure be on hold now. Those new ATR lease payments will start adding up.


If GEO was that easy to cut, goes to show perhaps what the GEO market can sustain. B6's inaugural is slated for April 02. I wonder if that's still on.


I think that B6 to GEO is off as it isnt in their system. Those who think that Caribbean airlines aren't necessary need to think carefully on that one.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Trinidad and Tobago has closed its border to non-nationals for fourteen days beginning March 17.

http://www.looptt.com/content/covid-19- ... ls-14-days
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2959
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Trinidad and Tobago has closed its border to non-nationals for fourteen days beginning March 17.

http://www.looptt.com/content/covid-19- ... ls-14-days
This means CM is about to reduce frequencies to POS very soon.
No mention to foreign legal residents on T&T?
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
baje427
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 pm

I would assume that every country will eventually close their borders especially in the Caribbean where medical resources are limited.
 
baje427
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:40 pm

I would assume that every country will eventually close their borders especially in the Caribbean where medical resources are limited.
 
caribny
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:08 pm

baje427 wrote:
I would assume that every country will eventually close their borders especially in the Caribbean where medical resources are limited.




Many Caribbean nations have implemented quarantine requirements on visitors for major markets in continental Europe and some also the UK. A visitor isn't going to quarantine for 14 days, so this amounts to a ban on travel, except for nationals of these Caribbean countries. Canada has closed its borders to all non nationals except Americans. I expect by tomorrow the USA will do the same. Even though citizens and residents aren't restricted many will see this as a reason not to travel overseas, even to Caribbean islands where the local transmission rates are apparently extremely low (cases involve people infected overseas.


This is going to impact travel even more than 9/11 and the Great Recession did. AA has already eliminated services to GEO for the rest of March and all of April. I expect service reductions on some Caribbean routes shortly. BA will also likely reduce service dropping flights to places like KIN and SKB, which have added the UK to the list of restricted countries. Its unclear which countries BGI considers "high infection". Is it still just Asia or is Europe now added, given that the WHO has added it to the pandemic spots? As those working directly or indirectly in the tourism sector lose jobs and as government revenues tumble 2020 is going to be a difficult year. As is the UK has the continuing saga of Brexit and the USA has elections to distract potential travelers. And now a mega "hurricane" called Corona has hit every island from Tobago north to The Bahamas.


BW will be in dire straights as only T&T citizens and residents will be allowed entry into that nation. I guess the shock of transporting a Guyanese infected with COVID 18 has spooked that nation.
 
caribbean484
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:19 pm

caribny wrote:
baje427 wrote:
I would assume that every country will eventually close their borders especially in the Caribbean where medical resources are limited.




Many Caribbean nations have implemented quarantine requirements on visitors for major markets in continental Europe and some also the UK. A visitor isn't going to quarantine for 14 days, so this amounts to a ban on travel, except for nationals of these Caribbean countries. Canada has closed its borders to all non nationals except Americans. I expect by tomorrow the USA will do the same. Even though citizens and residents aren't restricted many will see this as a reason not to travel overseas, even to Caribbean islands where the local transmission rates are apparently extremely low (cases involve people infected overseas.


This is going to impact travel even more than 9/11 and the Great Recession did. AA has already eliminated services to GEO for the rest of March and all of April. I expect service reductions on some Caribbean routes shortly. BA will also likely reduce service dropping flights to places like KIN and SKB, which have added the UK to the list of restricted countries. Its unclear which countries BGI considers "high infection". Is it still just Asia or is Europe now added, given that the WHO has added it to the pandemic spots? As those working directly or indirectly in the tourism sector lose jobs and as government revenues tumble 2020 is going to be a difficult year. As is the UK has the continuing saga of Brexit and the USA has elections to distract potential travelers. And now a mega "hurricane" called Corona has hit every island from Tobago north to The Bahamas.


BW will be in dire straights as only T&T citizens and residents will be allowed entry into that nation. I guess the shock of transporting a Guyanese infected with COVID 18 has spooked that nation.


Yeah the ban is having an effect on the entire travel industry. CAL just started to make money again and was going to announce a US20m profit for 2019. The airline had a good Jan-Feb but going forward things are not good, and all else this year will be very rough. They are cancelling flights on a rolling basis and consolidating flights as loads are low.

B6 is now cutting flights to the region as loads are falling off a cliff, I tried to do a dummy booking to various destinations in march and Early April and you could not book.

Its going to be a challenging year for the industry, but what is interesting will be LI.
All ah we is one family
 
baje427
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Guyana has closed both airports to international traffic only domestic flights will be allowed. CAL will definitely need financial support shortly.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:53 pm

From today (18 March) anyone who isn't a Grenadian National and in the last 14 days has been to Iran, South Korea, China or anywhere in Europe (including the UK), will be refused entry into the country. You have to wonder for how long both BA and VS will continue operating their twice-weekly flights from LGW especially as VS reportedly (by The Guardian) plans to keep only six of its 51 aircraft flying.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:01 pm

baje427 wrote:
Guyana has closed both airports to international traffic only domestic flights will be allowed. CAL will definitely need financial support shortly.

This is a 2-week closure starting from today (18 March). It's hard to see how this closure won't be extended, and my big concern is that these closures and lockdowns are being done with no exit strategy in mind. How is an increasingly impoverished government going to keep its economy from collapsing until a vaccine is produced in 2021? And the TnT goverment is not in a good shape to support CAL.
 
caribny
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:17 am

CARICOM nations have already jointly approached the IMF. That is a very bad sign. When the USA catches a cold these place get pneumonia. The suddenness of all of this makes it hard for governments to mitigate economic aspects. A % of us might be exposed to the virus. Almost all of us will have some adverse impacts from the economic blow back.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:40 pm

There is no availability on BA from LGW for the following:
- UVF (and onto POS or GND): 27 March to 16 April, 5x/weekly flights to POS resume on 17 April, twice-weekly to GND resume on 18 April.
- PUJ: currently none available, thrice-weekly flights resume on 19 April
- KIN: 27 March to 17 April not available, thrice-weekly flights resume on 20 April
 
Caymanair
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:53 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:34 am

The last commercial flight to Cayman is on Sunday (BA from LHR), but most others are closing out now. It appears BA may maintain service to GCM for cargo, essential personnel, and supplies as part of an ongoing air bridge to the mother country, with Cayman Airways providing onward transportation to the other territories. Seems odd, as we're the furthest from mother.

Domestic movements have also been limited. Travel to the sister islands will be limited to essential personnel and returning residents only.
 
baje427
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:21 pm

WS is suspending service to BGI tomorrow and AC's last flight will be the 31st.
 
ATCtower
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:46 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:55 pm

I’m surprised SXM is still “business as usual”.

We have a trip planned there for two weeks from now and their response is basically “well if you don’t make it here, screw you, we are open”.
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.
 
caribbean484
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:34 pm

baje427 wrote:
WS is suspending service to BGI tomorrow and AC's last flight will be the 31st.


Well here is AC suspension timeline into the Caribbean


Route Timeframe
Halifax – Punta Cana Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Montreal – Barbados Temporary suspension from March 24 until April 30
Montreal – Curacao Temporary suspension from March 21 until April 30
Montreal – Fort-de-France Temporary suspension from March 27 until April 30
Montreal – Nassau Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Montreal – Puerto Plata Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Montreal – Puerto Vallarta Temporary suspension from March 30 until April 30
Montreal – Punta Cana Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Montreal – San Juan Temporary suspension from March 16 until April 30
Montreal – San Salvador (Bahamas) Temporary suspension from March 18 until April 30
Ottawa – Punta Cana Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Quebec City – Punta Cana Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Toronto - George Town Temporary suspension from March 29 until April 30
Toronto – Antigua Temporary suspension from March 27 until April 30
Toronto – Aruba Temporary suspension from March 23 until April 30
Toronto – Belize City Temporary suspension from March 31 until April 30
Toronto – Bermuda Temporary suspension from March 26 until April 30
Toronto – Curacao Temporary suspension from March 31 until April 30
Toronto - George Town Temporary suspension from March 29 until April 30
Toronto – Grand Cayman Island Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Toronto – Grenada Temporary suspension from April 1 until April 30
Toronto – Havana Temporary suspension from March 25 until April 30
Toronto – Nassau Temporary suspension from March 29 until April 30
Toronto – Port of Spain Temporary suspension from March 23 until April 30
Toronto – Providenciales Temporary suspension from March 27 until April 30
Toronto – Puerto Plata Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Toronto – Punta Cana Temporary suspension from March 22 until April 30
Toronto – San Juan Temporary suspension from March 23 until April 30
Toronto – St. Kitts Temporary suspension from March 29 until April 30
Toronto – St. Vincent Temporary suspension from March 29 until April 30
Toronto – St. Lucia Temporary suspension from March 25 until April 30
Toronto – St. Maarten Temporary suspension from March 29 until April 30
All ah we is one family
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:28 pm

ATCtower wrote:
I’m surprised SXM is still “business as usual”.

We have a trip planned there for two weeks from now and their response is basically “well if you don’t make it here, screw you, we are open”.


SXM isn't business as usual though. They suspended flights to the US, EU, UK. The ban is scheduled to last through March. I'm guessing you're booked for April. I doubt they reopen then though as the spread will likely not yet have subsided by then.

https://thedailyherald.sx/islands/int-l ... -from-tues
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:02 pm

Caymanair wrote:
The last commercial flight to Cayman is on Sunday (BA from LHR), but most others are closing out now. It appears BA may maintain service to GCM for cargo, essential personnel, and supplies as part of an ongoing air bridge to the mother country, with Cayman Airways providing onward transportation to the other territories. Seems odd, as we're the furthest from mother.

Domestic movements have also been limited. Travel to the sister islands will be limited to essential personnel and returning residents only.

BA's LHR-NAS-GCM service will resume on 13 April on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays using the 275-seat 772 on Mondays and the 235-seat 772 on the other days. The previous schedule was four times a week IIRC.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:10 pm

B6 is delaying GEO startup, which makes sense. It would be nuts to open a new station in this environment.

https://www.caribjournal.com/2020/03/20 ... aunch/amp/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
baje427
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:27 pm

AA and B6 will discontinue service to BGI tomorrow.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:34 pm

chepos wrote:
B6 is delaying GEO startup, which makes sense. It would be nuts to open a new station in this environment.

https://www.caribjournal.com/2020/03/20 ... aunch/amp/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This had to happen. Guyana closed its airports to international traffic. Also I’m sure loads must not have been great because AA dropped both GEO routes long before the border closure.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:34 pm

baje427 wrote:
AA and B6 will discontinue service to BGI tomorrow.

Is this government mandated or by choice?
 
baje427
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
AA and B6 will discontinue service to BGI tomorrow.

Is this government mandated or by choice?

All persons entering the island would face a 14 day quarantine so perhaps this forced the issue.
 
redcap1962
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:26 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
ATCtower wrote:
I’m surprised SXM is still “business as usual”.

We have a trip planned there for two weeks from now and their response is basically “well if you don’t make it here, screw you, we are open”.


SXM isn't business as usual though. They suspended flights to the US, EU, UK. The ban is scheduled to last through March. I'm guessing you're booked for April. I doubt they reopen then though as the spread will likely not yet have subsided by then.

https://thedailyherald.sx/islands/int-l ... -from-tues


AF498 CDG - SXM on its way as we speak though: https://www.flightradar24.com/AFR498/243e7de3

This flight should have taken me there on March 15, my return was planned on March 22 -> SXM - AMS - VIE (KL). Since there was a travel warning for France issued on March 13 (if I remember correctly) by the Austrian Ministery of External Affairs I cancelled everything. My concern also was not to be able to return as planned and get stuck at SXM or AMS. AirBnB already gave me a full refund. I made a request for a refund for the flight to AF/KL, but of course no answer yet - it will take quite a while for them to process all requests I guess... I hope to get at least a voucher and I'm thinking to go January or February next year - if ticket-prices are worth it. If not, I try to consume the voucher on other AF/KL-flights.
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1385
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:08 pm

AA has flown a MIA-SXM-MIA flight every day since SXM closed to US traffic. Can't be that many respective country's residents seeking to get home.
 
CURQ400
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:29 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:33 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
ATCtower wrote:
I’m surprised SXM is still “business as usual”.

We have a trip planned there for two weeks from now and their response is basically “well if you don’t make it here, screw you, we are open”.


SXM isn't business as usual though. They suspended flights to the US, EU, UK. The ban is scheduled to last through March. I'm guessing you're booked for April. I doubt they reopen then though as the spread will likely not yet have subsided by then.

https://thedailyherald.sx/islands/int-l ... -from-tues


AF498 CDG - SXM on its way as we speak though: https://www.flightradar24.com/AFR498/243e7de3

Only SXM residents and cargo allowed on the CDG-SXM portion.

smokeybandit wrote:
AA has flown a MIA-SXM-MIA flight every day since SXM closed to US traffic. Can't be that many respective country's residents seeking to get home.


You don’t think there were enough Americans (tourists, LPRs and citizens) on SXM to fill 4 AA flights?
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 am

Trinidad and Tobago (effective 3/22) and Jamaica(effective 3/24) have both closed their borders to incoming traffic. Save for a handful of repatriation flights and the Tobago air bridge, this essentially represents a shutdown of BW.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Grenada will also be closing its airports effective 3/24.

https://www.nowgrenada.com/2020/03/mbia ... t-1159-pm/
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Barbados in not in lockdown (yet) but BA has cancelled all flights from LGW between 27 March and 15 April inclusive. What doesn't help is that Europeans, who make up the bulk of the passengers, must go into a government facility for a 14-day quarantine.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 pm

LIAT has cancelled more flights including everything at POS from 23 March and OGL up to 1 April, and suspended all online check-in.
https://www.liat.com/travel-advisory-on-travel-restrictions-21st-march-2020
 
caribny
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Grenada will also be closing its airports effective 3/24.

https://www.nowgrenada.com/2020/03/mbia ... t-1159-pm/

This is the first of the OECS to shut down. Hotels are empty in the region, with several planning to shut down. In addition there is evidence that overseas based Caribbean people living in (or returning from the UK/USA) have become a transmission element. This being why the shift from "nationals only permitted entry", to a complete shut down in places like Jamaica, DR, T&T, Guyana, Suriname and now GND.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:43 pm

caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Grenada will also be closing its airports effective 3/24.

https://www.nowgrenada.com/2020/03/mbia ... t-1159-pm/

This is the first of the OECS to shut down. Hotels are empty in the region, with several planning to shut down. In addition there is evidence that overseas based Caribbean people living in (or returning from the UK/USA) have become a transmission element. This being why the shift from "nationals only permitted entry", to a complete shut down in places like Jamaica, DR, T&T, Guyana, Suriname and now GND.

Indeed. Sandals is shutting all its properties across the region. Re aviation, I’m not sure how BW and LI survive this. BW has been effectively shut down and the GORTT is in no position to bail them out now. LI is dropping routes like flies as more countries enact restrictions. The flights that are left are likely empty. None of their shareholders are in a position to bail them out this time.
 
caribbean484
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:56 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Grenada will also be closing its airports effective 3/24.

https://www.nowgrenada.com/2020/03/mbia ... t-1159-pm/

This is the first of the OECS to shut down. Hotels are empty in the region, with several planning to shut down. In addition there is evidence that overseas based Caribbean people living in (or returning from the UK/USA) have become a transmission element. This being why the shift from "nationals only permitted entry", to a complete shut down in places like Jamaica, DR, T&T, Guyana, Suriname and now GND.

Indeed. Sandals is shutting all its properties across the region. Re aviation, I’m not sure how BW and LI survive this. BW has been effectively shut down and the GORTT is in no position to bail them out now. LI is dropping routes like flies as more countries enact restrictions. The flights that are left are likely empty. None of their shareholders are in a position to bail them out this time.


The Government will bailout CAL, the PM made it clear that he will not allow the airline to collapse given that this is not their fault. The airline has made profits for two years now and 2020 pre Covid19 was going to be better again.

Basically, this is an unprecedented situation where countries are closing their borders who knows how long, along with the economic repercussions and societal problems that will come when this ends. With businesses closed, and people out of work for some time, it will take perhaps a few years to get back to the travel levels we have had in 2019.
All ah we is one family
 
caribny
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Despite the chorus of naysayers who have always predicted the demise of LI and BW this is now why these carriers have to be state owned. Which are the successful privately owned carriers within the Caribbean? LI will have to survive, even if in a much reduced form. Who do people want? Inter Caribbean? Please check their Trip Advisor ratings. They make LI look excellent!

BW is a major corporation in T&T. Not only is it a large employer, many being highly skilled people, but there will also be a multiplier impact. Depending on how long this COVID 19 crisis exists there may well be hard decisions on its Jamaica operations. The reality is that BW is not needed to service these routes, and in all cases they struggle with load factors outside of the peak seasons. The government of Jamaica has done nothing to assist them and they no longer use the "Air Jamaica" brand so BW has no obligations to them.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Saint Lucia is also closing its airport to arriving passengers effective 11:59 pm 3/23. Flights for departing passengers are still permitted.

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/break ... assengers/
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:51 pm

Here are BA flights involving UVF:
23 March: LGW-UVF (UVF-POS cancelled)
24 March: LGW-UVF (UVF-POS cancelled)
25 March: LGW-UVF-GND
26 March: LGW-UVF-POS
27 March: flights cancelled until 17 April when regular schedule resumes
17 April: LGW-UVF-POS
18 April: LGW-UVF-GND
 
TropicalSky
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:53 pm

 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 pm

The BA LGW-UVF-GND flight tomorrow (25 March) has been cancelled. The flight was showing as available earlier today, most unusual for a cancellation to be done so late. Furthermore, although the LGW-UVF-POS flight is still scheduled to operate on 26 March its purpose seems wholly to get people from POS and UVF back to LGW.
 
Caymanair
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:53 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 am

Cayman is now shut down as well. Blanket curfew until Saturday at the earliest.

They have been making swift progress on resurfacing the runway and building that parallel taxiway though!
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:44 am

Antigua is shutting down its airport to incoming passengers effective 3/26.

Saint Kitts has closed its airport to incoming passengers as well.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:24 pm

LIAT has suspended all flights into and out of the following:

• Guyana
• Trinidad
• Martinique
• Guadeloupe
• St. Maarten
• Grenada
• Tortola, B.V.I
• St. Lucia
• St. Kitts
• Antigua (from 27 March)
• Dominica (from 28 March)
 
caribny
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:14 am

So LI is virtually grounded. Only BGI and SVD are left. I cannot imagine them running flights to STT and SJU out of BGI.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:55 am

Antigua is actually still open, however only allowing LIAT, private jets and small aircraft to operate.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Just to clarify the situation with Antigua: ANU is closed from today (27 March) for arriving passengers from north America and Europe but flights can operate empty to carry out foreign nationals. So, both BA and VS have a empty flight into ANU on 27 March and 28 March with a planned resumption of services in April.

LI will have no flights into and out of ANU from 27 March.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos