qf789
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:26 am

Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020. Please continue to add you comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1412199
Forum Moderator

SANFan

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 am

This thread does exist! I just found it and wanted others to know it exists.

I know the new SEA-MRY flight is being discussed on the 'AS's CA Strategy' thread right now, which is fine. Hopefully there'll be some additional route news from AS in the upcoming months.

bb

SANFan

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Can anyone in the know at AS please verify a winter route drop?

I'm thinking SAN-HDN is another cancelled route from SAN; I don't see it on the December skeds -- now open thru about Christmas -- but I do see SAN-SLC (seasonally) returned at that time.

I do realize December is a long way off and things can and will change but my gut says SAN-HDN is done.

And congrats to AAG on their 2019 earnings report. I'm glad to see the company is remaining profitable.

bb

scrumbum

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:46 am

With the further and almost complete dismantling of the AS/AA partnership in 2020, there's a gaping hole in the AS & partner network with respect to the Caribbean and Central America. The partnership with LATAM, even if it continues, won't come close to addressing this.

I'm curious to see what AS does, if anything. Short of joining one of the alliances, I just don't think there are any viable (or realistic) partners to address the gap. Would AS attempt to cover some of the gap with their own metal? If so, from where? Probably not enough traffic from SEA...so maybe LAX?

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:21 am

On the topic of SLC, even with AS having dropped or going to drop all together LAX, SAN (seasonal status), LAS, BOI, SJC all from SLC, they will still have 13 daily flights, about the same amount when AS had eight cites in and out of SLC. Going forward this summer AS will do SEA 6x-daily, PDX 5x-daily, and SFO 2x-daily. Add the seasonal SAN flight and that will keep SLC year a round at 12 to 13 flights a day. Not bad, even with losing more than half of the original cities that AS experimented with their SLC expansion.

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:41 am

scrumbum wrote:
With the further and almost complete dismantling of the AS/AA partnership in 2020, there's a gaping hole in the AS & partner network with respect to the Caribbean and Central America. The partnership with LATAM, even if it continues, won't come close to addressing this.

I'm curious to see what AS does, if anything. Short of joining one of the alliances, I just don't think there are any viable (or realistic) partners to address the gap. Would AS attempt to cover some of the gap with their own metal? If so, from where? Probably not enough traffic from SEA...so maybe LAX?

I can’t think of an airline partner that AS could team up with to give them more coverage in the Caribbean or Central America. Even if they were to attempt an expansion it would probably be only a few routes such as LAX-SJO (I think AS tried this but eventually dropped it), LAX-GUA, SFO-SJO, and maybe LAX-BZE. I don’t ever see AS flying their own metal to the Caribbean.

And not to get off topic, but I always thought AS should’ve seriously attempted doing a focus city in DFW. I think they were going to try to have DAL as a focus city after the purchase of VX, but with WN being the big dog there, the limited gate space and the overall terrible load factors, it didn’t work out. Too late now for them to attempt a DFW focus city. Imagine AS flying international routes at DFW such as DFW-CUN/SJO/LIR/MBJ/CZM, etc.

EA CO AS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
I can’t think of an airline partner that AS could team up with to give them more coverage in the Caribbean

Really? Not even one? Perhaps even one that, like AS, has a nasty DL problem on its hands?

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Even if they were to attempt an expansion it would probably be only a few routes such as LAX-SJO

AS already flies LAXSJO, and LAXLIR.

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
And not to get off topic, but I always thought AS should’ve seriously attempted doing a focus city in DFW.

Attempting a focus city in the largest hub of a major partner? How very DL... ;)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

scrumbum

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
I can’t think of an airline partner that AS could team up with to give them more coverage in the Caribbean

Really? Not even one? Perhaps even one that, like AS, has a nasty DL problem on its hands?

OK, let's say that B6 and AS tie the knot or at least get cozy. FLL works great for most of the Caribbean, but Central America is still a gap.

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:27 pm

If and when AS starts taking delivery of their MAX-9's and MAX-10's, who knows where AS will fly. Maybe they can reach SJO/LIR nonstop from SEA.

Theoretically, AS has flown their own metal to the Caribbean...LAX-HAV.

tphuang

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:52 pm

scrumbum wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

OK, let's say that B6 and AS tie the knot or at least get cozy. FLL works great for most of the Caribbean, but Central America is still a gap.

B6's central america coverage is pretty good from JFK and likely to get even better the next couple of years. I really do hope this tie up happens. AS would look pretty good in the new north terminal at JFK.

AirFiero

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:01 pm

tphuang wrote:
scrumbum wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

B6's central america coverage is pretty good from JFK and likely to get even better the next couple of years. I really do hope this tie up happens. AS would look pretty good in the new north terminal at JFK.

There has been plenty of speculation here about one airline buying the other or a merger, but would a code share between the two work? How is the compatibility and overlap of their route systems? Would government approval be an issue, regarding competition?

EA CO AS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:27 pm

AirFiero wrote:
would a code share between the two work? How is the compatibility and overlap of their route systems? Would government approval be an issue, regarding competition?

The route systems are arguably the most complementary of any two airlines; there’s only a handful of routes where they directly compete. A comprehensive systemwide codeshare between the two, with earn/burn FF agreements, would be a powerful combination.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DeltaRules

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Is there any insight as to how happy AS is with CMH-SEA? Obviously, it must be performing well given the seasonal second daily flight coming this summer (and with both flights on bigger metal), but is there any chance they'd add a place like PDX or SAN?

I know SAN is on CRAA's short list and there'd probably be incentives available just as there were for SEA.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

scrumbum

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:27 pm

tphuang wrote:
scrumbum wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Still doesn't help where AS has most of it's FF base...West Coast. Even as someone fairly loyal to AS, I'm not flying SEA-JFK-GUA in the event JFK is where a combined AS/B6 decides to consolidate Central America routes. Much better options are available via DFW and IAH. It seems like any possible solution with the current network strategy would have to be from LAX or SFO.

hiflyeras

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:46 pm

I really don't see a long-term plan for growth at AS. So much competition out of LAX and UA is such a strong competitor in SFO. I see DL and WN tempering their ambitions for SJC and SAN. SoCal-Central America is tough...you just don't have the passenger numbers to support a lot of new routes to locations considered 'safe' for tourism. FLL and MIA have such great feed from the midwest and east coast to Central and South America. Consequently B6 and NK are in such a better position for future growth than AS. Unless they buy one of them, I think AS has seen its best days already and sadly has possibly run out of good opportunities for growth.

AirFiero

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
would a code share between the two work? How is the compatibility and overlap of their route systems? Would government approval be an issue, regarding competition?

The route systems are arguably the most complementary of any two airlines; there’s only a handful of routes where they directly compete. A comprehensive systemwide codeshare between the two, with earn/burn FF agreements, would be a powerful combination.

It would seem to be the only way either of those airlines could have such widespread coverage, barring buyout/merger. Doing that growth organically just doesn’t seem possible.

AirFiero

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:50 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
I really don't see a long-term plan for growth at AS. So much competition out of LAX and UA is such a strong competitor in SFO. I see DL and WN tempering their ambitions for SJC and SAN. SoCal-Central America is tough...you just don't have the passenger numbers to support a lot of new routes to locations considered 'safe' for tourism. FLL and MIA have such great feed from the midwest and east coast to Central and South America. Consequently B6 and NK are in such a better position for future growth than AS. Unless they buy one of them, I think AS has seen its best days already and sadly has possibly run out of good opportunities for growth.

I thought AS had a good case for hubbing at SJC, given its status as a focus city already combined with its geographic location in the west and the Bay Area as a good O/D market. But the trend seems to be both away from creating hubs, and the industry-wide emphasis on point-to-point flying.

EA CO AS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:52 pm

scrumbum wrote:
Still doesn't help where AS has most of it's FF base...West Coast.

Except AS has been able to grow, in large part, due to the appeal of its Mileage Plan, which has a great portfolio of Global Partners, and had a great portfolio of domestic ones until DL took a hike, and now that AA is as well. The Caribbean and Central America options were available under AA, but now they're going away. That's where a B6 partnership would add substantial value for AS guests.

scrumbum wrote:
Even as someone fairly loyal to AS, I'm not flying SEA-JFK-GUA in the event JFK is where a combined AS/B6 decides to consolidate Central America routes. Much better options are available via DFW and IAH.

I bet if the choice were buy a ticket flying SEA/DFW/GUA or SEA/IAH/GUA vs. redeeming your miles and connecting over JFK, most AS MP members would take the latter.

EA CO AS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:54 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
I really don't see a long-term plan for growth at AS.

The growth plan for the next 5 years hasn't been made public yet, but once you see it, your jaw will drop.

MAH4546

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:00 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

The growth plan for the next 5 years hasn't been made public yet, but once you see it, your jaw will drop.

Hoping it includes boosting LAX. I love Alaska and do my best to remain loyal, already have flown 20,000 miles on Alaska just in January 2020 alone, and it’s LA network is decent, but it’s not easy sometimes - can’t get to Miami this summer (hopefully it’s only a one time seasonal drop given the Max issues and Seattle flying for gates), Boston flights limited, no more Philadelphia, can’t get to Nashville. They basically have Terminal 6 to itself, lots of room to grow. I know permits have been filed for the Alaska Lounge to get a nice 3,000 square foot addition soon, which is great.

One problem is AS doesn’t file connecting ticket fares. I would fly LAX-SEA-CMH, but the fare is just adding up the two separate tickets.
a.

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:11 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

1. They gotta fly the MAX somewhere.
2. It should also include the completion of the N Concourse.

I hope they continue to open more smaller communities and grow the existing ones. I think AS is doing a good job with SBP, SBA and STS. And now they are finally looking at MRY. Maybe the UA re-entry into SMX will get AS to fly there. I know SMX is pretty close to both SBA and SBP.

I'm looking forward to seeing what AS has up their sleeve.

jbpdx

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:42 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

The list of airports in my signature is an example of where they could grow.
trump is a liar, a sociopath and a traitor

Wingtips56

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:01 pm

I agree on several of those, at least seasonally, although didn't AM try MEX without a lot of success? How strong are the PDX O/D markets (plus EUG/MFR/etc. feed) for these markets? Or do they really need a trans-Pacific partner growing at PDX to fill up the cabins?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

vadodara

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:08 pm

scrumbum wrote:

FLL could certainly get a boost with the west coast feed from AS not to mention JFK if B6 starts flying trans-Atlantic.

SocalApproach

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

Is more RJs taking over more mainline metal routes from SEA/PDX considered more “growth”? Overall I can see the spin on how this is technically a bigger Alaska Air Group but the pilots at Alaska will be the only ones who’s jaws will be dropping if that’s the case

EA CO AS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:25 pm

SocalApproach wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

Is more RJs taking over more mainline metal routes from SEA/PDX considered more “growth”?

Nope, we're talking about mainline growth, not QX/OO flying.

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Is more RJs taking over more mainline metal routes from SEA/PDX considered more “growth”?

That’s a flawed and misleading statement. Only counting mainline growth doesn’t tell everything. That’s like having DL announce new nonstop international flights from SLC to YEG/MZT/MTY on OO but not counting it as growth since they’re not DL mainline flights. Who’s to say new major AS growth doesn’t count if it’s on QX/OO?

SocalApproach

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:25 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

That’s a flawed and misleading statement. Only counting mainline growth doesn’t tell everything. Who’s to say new major AS growth doesn’t count if it’s on QX/OO?

On paper I see your argument but go tell that to the pilots and flight attendants actually at mainline carriers and see if they agree. I can guarantee they won’t.

MIflyer12

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:35 pm

Destinations, ASMs and revenue matter. The use of regional carriers by AA/DL/UA/AS shows how you can grow the network with judicious use of RJs. Mainline employees aren't entitled to all flying.

SocalApproach

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

I’ll believe it when I see it! Since the VX acquisition AS has done nothing it said it was going to do or thinking about doing. All the QX/OO RJ flying was not the plan 3 years ago from what I recall. Myself and others have said time and time again that AS is only interested in being a regional PNW carrier and to be honest that is perfectly fine. It would just be nice if AS would stop with the charades.

It almost feels like whatever plan you are talking about has been delayed for a while then and since we can all be assured the fleet plan will be proudly all Boeing (with maybe some 321neos), at this point the cards show the “plan” was centered around the 737MAX and AS is too stubborn to abandon it. If that is the case and this airline really put all its eggs in a grounded plane it is worrisome at best, negligent at worse.
Last edited by SocalApproach on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SocalApproach

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:52 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Destinations, ASMs and revenue matter. The use of regional carriers by AA/DL/UA/AS shows how you can grow the network with judicious use of RJs. Mainline employees aren't entitled to all flying.

It does matter and I’ve already acknowledged that it does technically mean a “bigger Alaska Air Group”. But AS selling “growth” to its employees then having OO or some other regional order 100 Ejets is bait in switch in my mind. I don’t even work there and even I wouldn’t be excited about that kind of news. Imagine how it must feel at AS having your new flying which was announced as “growth” contracted out to more regional flying. On the other hand I have a business myself so from the business standpoint I get it as they have no scope clause but from a crew member standpoint I’m just over the fake news.

EA CO AS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:01 am

SocalApproach wrote:
It almost feels like whatever plan you are talking about has been delayed for a while.

The fleet replacement decision has been delayed, but the 5 year plan, following the integration of VX, was only recently completed, with a high-level unveiling to employees at a series of employee meetings with senior leadership around the system over the past 3 weeks.

As it’s not public yet - but will be soon - I cannot go into detail, but the mainline growth plan will have people talking.

Chugach

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:19 am

Is AS starting PDX-PIT? I saw a couple of social media posts from AS about new nonstop service but can’t find any flights, nor a press release. Social media team jump the gun a bit?

hiflyeras

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:32 pm

Chugach wrote:
Is AS starting PDX-PIT? I saw a couple of social media posts from AS about new nonstop service but can’t find any flights, nor a press release. Social media team jump the gun a bit?

They've said that PDX is primed for a lot of growth in the near future. Wouldn't be surprised!

PITfall

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Chugach wrote:

Are the social media posts still up?

MAH4546

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:38 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Chugach wrote:

They've said that PDX is primed for a lot of growth in the near future. Wouldn't be surprised!

They just discontinued PDX-PHL. Why would they add PIT?
a.

rajincajun01

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:59 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
MAH4546 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
Chugach wrote:

No competition at PIT.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

QXAS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Is there an approximate date for when this growth plan will be unveiled to the public?
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

MAH4546

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
MAH4546 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

No competition at PIT.

Doesn’t matter if there’s no competition when there’s no market.
a.

vadodara

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:02 pm

Growth probably will mean P2P services from CA cities since SEA has been fairly saturated and PDX probably is size limited.

Unless they plan to launch international from SEA.

With reasonable # of gates at LAX/SFO/SJC some of the discontinued routes may see a 2nd life.

flybynight

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:13 pm

Two things -

1 - Is it me, or does it seem to be taking a very long time to get the new first class up and running? I've been on one A320 that had the upgraded interior, but I don't think I've seen many - if any - 737's with the new first class

2 - So much talk about expansion, but for a good reason. I loved it when DL and AS were partners. It made travel around the east coast much easier not to mention international travel.
I feel like it is just a matter of time before AS and Jet Blue merger. Maybe it is 5 years from now. Maybe even longer. It just makes sense to me. Or at least code share.
Blue Alaska...Jet Alaska....whatever it might be.
Heia Norge!

SeaDoo

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:26 pm

flybynight wrote:
Two things -

1 - Is it me, or does it seem to be taking a very long time to get the new first class up and running? I've been on one A320 that had the upgraded interior, but I don't think I've seen many - if any - 737's with the new first class

2 - So much talk about expansion, but for a good reason. I loved it when DL and AS were partners. It made travel around the east coast much easier not to mention international travel.
I feel like it is just a matter of time before AS and Jet Blue merger. Maybe it is 5 years from now. Maybe even longer. It just makes sense to me. Or at least code share.

From a passenger perspective, I thought the DL / AS partner thing was good. I would think if you were a frequent AS traveler, that was too bad it fell apart. Obviously the DL expansion at SEA has provided many more options for travelers, and much more congestion at the airport.

Also, as reported by enilria yesterday, UA is pulling its SFO-PAE flights. Any guesses what happens with those three slots?

joeljack

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 pm

SeaDoo wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Two things -

From a passenger perspective, I thought the DL / AS partner thing was good. I would think if you were a frequent AS traveler, that was too bad it fell apart. Obviously the DL expansion at SEA has provided many more options for travelers, and much more congestion at the airport.

Also, as reported by enilria yesterday, UA is pulling its SFO-PAE flights. Any guesses what happens with those three slots?

United adds 2x daily ORD and adds an additional DEN frequency.

jspurg15

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:46 pm

flybynight wrote:
Two things -

The new cabin will be on the MAX9 once it is ungrounded and flying again. The first flight will be SEA-SAN.

jspurg15

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:49 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

AS is doing super well at SFO. I fly out of PDX all the time and I always pick SFO as my layover.

EA CO AS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:54 pm

QXAS wrote:
Is there an approximate date for when this growth plan will be unveiled to the public?

If memory serves, there’s a BOD meeting sometime this month, so I’d guess it would be shortly after that.

JayWings

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:09 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

I CAN NOT WAIT!

EA CO AS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:15 pm

flybynight wrote:
Is it me, or does it seem to be taking a very long time to get the new first class up and running? I've been on one A320 that had the upgraded interior, but I don't think I've seen many - if any - 737's with the new first class

With two MAX 9 frames sitting on the ramp instead of flying, there's little slack in the fleet right now, and taking planes out of service for cabin retrofits takes time. Progress is being made, however.

flybynight wrote:

I don't know that I see a merger happening; a comprehensive, systemwide codeshare with reciprocal earn/burn FF agreement would make more sense for both carriers right now.

pranav7478

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 pm

why did alaska cancel the sjc-sna route? i flew on it all the time, and now i can only use southwest even though i was a pure alaska flyer. whenever i flew on it, the flights were usually decently full. they seem to have moved the flights to sfo, doubling the frequency from there. that is too far for me
CRJ-900, E175, E190, A319, A320, A321, A330-200, 717, 737-700, 737-800, 747-400, 747-8I, 757-200, 767-300, 777-200, 777-300(ER), 787-8, 787-9

airlinewatcher1

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:54 pm

Any chance AS could restart PDX-DEN and SFO-DEN?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos