Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11
 
Passedv1
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:44 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
SANFan wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:
That route map is terrible. When I look at a route map, I want to see:
a) complete route system without having to do anything except maybe zooming in. No picking cities, etc.
b) actually see routes and not just destinations. Only two aspects of a route map. Routes on a map.
c) keep them up to date. Seems better and easier tech is, worse and more inaccurate things are getting.
d) if you have to click on a city, just show all nonstop routes from there. I do not need to click on a town, pick a destination, especially having to include a date... I just want to see where the f*** you fly to!

Agree 100%. What you're describing that you want to see is exactly the previous AS route map! As I said, I sure hope we see both the former route map and the .pdf timetable return to AS's website. Come to think of it, that would make AS one of the only airlines offering the .pdf timetable so I guess the chances of that happening are slim, leaning toward "none"...

bb



It’s the result of the e-commerce team trying to be creative. I’ll pass the feedback on, as I meet with them twice a month.


I agree with the criticisms. You look at a route map because you don't know where an airline flies. I wouldn't mind the new style if they also kept the old style up on the website. It is still in the in-flight magazine, so it is still being maintained. Why not just post a link.

Thanks.
 
USAavdork
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:46 pm

So I just did a quick of PAE and did a comparison of now vs summer schedules. Here is the article that mentions PDX-PAE getting reduced:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsg ... boise/amp/

Now, about the PAE schedules... Interesting notes:

SNA increases to 2x
PSP goes seasonal
PDX reduces to 2x (according to the article)
 
cschleic
Posts: 1806
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:04 pm

SocalApproach wrote:
ASAFA wrote:
[I think their only option at this point is another merger.


Your entire post is spot on how I feel about how AS is running things from an outsider. Ill admit when the VX acquisition was announced I initially thought that AS was just going to liquidate the VX operation in SFO/LAX and just go back to focusing on being a regional PNW carrier in Seattle. When all the Most West Coast expansion in California news was published I was shocked to be honest but it wasn't long until we were back to reality watching AS retreat back to SEA and drop routes they added out of SFO/LAX or reduce capacity to regional flying in California. We have all put 2 and 2 together to figure out the fleet decision is 737MAX and whenever it is allowed to fly again AS will finally confirm this. Obviously the national player California/West Coast plan flopped and if any future growth is announced it remains to be seen if it involves anything but SEA which in my opinion the airport is maxed out but I do understand its the one thing AS has that if it were to go up in smoke like California, a merger would happen sooner rather than later. I have already been on record to say I think it happens regardless since they have not capitalized on the VX acquisition.

But apparently if you read earlier in the thread our jaws should be dropping soon....

I am not perplexed by AS at all and considering how the last growth plan went the past 5 years.....ill keep my jaw firmly in place but just like you, I am watching.


Jaws are dropping today.
 
x1234
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:07 pm

It’s high time with the AS one world partnership for AS to fly to MIA from SEA and PDX.
 
thevoid156
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:12 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
scrumbum wrote:
With the further and almost complete dismantling of the AS/AA partnership in 2020, there's a gaping hole in the AS & partner network with respect to the Caribbean and Central America. The partnership with LATAM, even if it continues, won't come close to addressing this.

I'm curious to see what AS does, if anything. Short of joining one of the alliances, I just don't think there are any viable (or realistic) partners to address the gap. Would AS attempt to cover some of the gap with their own metal? If so, from where? Probably not enough traffic from SEA...so maybe LAX?


I can’t think of an airline partner that AS could team up with to give them more coverage in the Caribbean or Central America. Even if they were to attempt an expansion it would probably be only a few routes such as LAX-SJO (I think AS tried this but eventually dropped it), LAX-GUA, SFO-SJO, and maybe LAX-BZE. I don’t ever see AS flying their own metal to the Caribbean.

And not to get off topic, but I always thought AS should’ve seriously attempted doing a focus city in DFW. I think they were going to try to have DAL as a focus city after the purchase of VX, but with WN being the big dog there, the limited gate space and the overall terrible load factors, it didn’t work out. Too late now for them to attempt a DFW focus city. Imagine AS flying international routes at DFW such as DFW-CUN/SJO/LIR/MBJ/CZM, etc.

I think you got your answer today!
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 718
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:23 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
I really don't see a long-term plan for growth at AS.


The growth plan for the next 5 years hasn't been made public yet, but once you see it, your jaw will drop.

I can confirm, my jaw did drop.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
KlimaBXsst
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:42 pm

With OneWorld does this finally mean Alaska will get a decent interactive route map?
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!
 
scrumbum
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:21 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:04 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
I really don't see a long-term plan for growth at AS.


The growth plan for the next 5 years hasn't been made public yet, but once you see it, your jaw will drop.

I can confirm, my jaw did drop.


Indeed. Completely surprised.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8023
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:18 pm

cschleic wrote:
Jaws are dropping today.


This ought to end - for half a decade, at least, talk of AS getting 787s and running their own TATL and TPAC.

Jaws are dropping because AS has neutered itself to become a feeder carrier to AA at SEA and LAX.
 
SocalApproach
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm

cschleic wrote:
Jaws are dropping today.


Mine isn't. the headline here is AA making SEA an INTL Hub. I have always assumed AS would join One world and this is going back 2 years at least. AS deciding to be a feeder for AA in SEA is exactly what DL wanted them to be. So whats changed except that the national player plan AS attempted didn't work. I really hope this isn't the big news AS was hiding. Im still waiting for my jaw to drop with something that concerns "AS Growth" especially out of the PNW.
MIflyer12 wrote:
[

This ought to end - for half a decade, at least, talk of AS getting 787s and running their own TATL and TPAC.

Jaws are dropping because AS has neutered itself to become a feeder carrier to AA at SEA and LAX.


:checkmark:
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:36 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
I really don't see a long-term plan for growth at AS.


The growth plan for the next 5 years hasn't been made public yet, but once you see it, your jaw will drop.


I hope these include places like XNA and MEM especially with the American hookup and their growing presence at both airports
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:43 pm

SocalApproach wrote:
cschleic wrote:
Jaws are dropping today.


Mine isn't. the headline here is AA making SEA an INTL Hub. I have always assumed AS would join One world and this is going back 2 years at least. AS deciding to be a feeder for AA in SEA is exactly what DL wanted them to be. So whats changed except that the national player plan AS attempted didn't work. I really hope this isn't the big news AS was hiding. Im still waiting for my jaw to drop with something that concerns "AS Growth" especially out of the PNW.
MIflyer12 wrote:
[

This ought to end - for half a decade, at least, talk of AS getting 787s and running their own TATL and TPAC.

Jaws are dropping because AS has neutered itself to become a feeder carrier to AA at SEA and LAX.


:checkmark:


This is a way for AS to grow its network without receiving large numbers of airplanes. With the Max debacle, ALL airlines will be challenged to grow. Aside from a merger/acquisition, how else would you grow without airplanes? Here’s our answer.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15728
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:49 pm

AirFiero wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
cschleic wrote:
Jaws are dropping today.


Mine isn't. the headline here is AA making SEA an INTL Hub. I have always assumed AS would join One world and this is going back 2 years at least. AS deciding to be a feeder for AA in SEA is exactly what DL wanted them to be. So whats changed except that the national player plan AS attempted didn't work. I really hope this isn't the big news AS was hiding. Im still waiting for my jaw to drop with something that concerns "AS Growth" especially out of the PNW.
MIflyer12 wrote:
[

This ought to end - for half a decade, at least, talk of AS getting 787s and running their own TATL and TPAC.

Jaws are dropping because AS has neutered itself to become a feeder carrier to AA at SEA and LAX.


:checkmark:


This is a way for AS to grow its network without receiving large numbers of airplanes. With the Max debacle, ALL airlines will be challenged to grow. Aside from a merger/acquisition, how else would you grow without airplanes? Here’s our answer.



Who said AS isn’t getting airplanes? The oneworld partnership is only one part of the jaw-dropping that comes from the growth plan. More to come.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
9Patch
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:58 pm

From the Alaska Airlines blog a post dated February 13, 2020:

We’re expanding our relationship with American Airlines and announcing plans to join oneworld, the highly rated global airline network – two moves that open the world for our guests. We see this as an exciting West Coast international alliance, which includes:

*the ability to earn and use miles on both Alaska and American
*full elite status reciprocity
*lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Clubs worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*continued domestic codeshare and expanded international travel from Los Angeles and Seattle for hassle-free booking and travel between Alaska and American Airlines

In addition, we’re seeking full membership into oneworld, expected in summer 2021. Together, this new alliance and oneworld membership will give guests seamless access to 1,200 destinations around the world.


Q&A:
Does this mean your relationship with American won’t end?
Correct. Alaska and American will continue our domestic codeshare relationship uninterrupted.

What does this mean for your existing unaffiliated Global Partners?
Our 16 Global Partners are very valuable and we’ll keep them as long as they continue to provide a unique value to our guests.


https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airli ... -oneworld/
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:04 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:

Mine isn't. the headline here is AA making SEA an INTL Hub. I have always assumed AS would join One world and this is going back 2 years at least. AS deciding to be a feeder for AA in SEA is exactly what DL wanted them to be. So whats changed except that the national player plan AS attempted didn't work. I really hope this isn't the big news AS was hiding. Im still waiting for my jaw to drop with something that concerns "AS Growth" especially out of the PNW.


:checkmark:


This is a way for AS to grow its network without receiving large numbers of airplanes. With the Max debacle, ALL airlines will be challenged to grow. Aside from a merger/acquisition, how else would you grow without airplanes? Here’s our answer.



Who said AS isn’t getting airplanes? The oneworld partnership is only one part of the jaw-dropping that comes from the growth plan. More to come.


Not me. Just look at the Max situation. 16 months and counting, no official date for RTS, then the time to get planes flying and restart production. Isn’t Airbus having some issues as well? They are getting new airplanes, but when? A recent discussion had dates for deliveries 1-2 years delayed?
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:59 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:

Mine isn't. the headline here is AA making SEA an INTL Hub. I have always assumed AS would join One world and this is going back 2 years at least. AS deciding to be a feeder for AA in SEA is exactly what DL wanted them to be. So whats changed except that the national player plan AS attempted didn't work. I really hope this isn't the big news AS was hiding. Im still waiting for my jaw to drop with something that concerns "AS Growth" especially out of the PNW.


:checkmark:


This is a way for AS to grow its network without receiving large numbers of airplanes. With the Max debacle, ALL airlines will be challenged to grow. Aside from a merger/acquisition, how else would you grow without airplanes? Here’s our answer.



Who said AS isn’t getting airplanes? The oneworld partnership is only one part of the jaw-dropping that comes from the growth plan. More to come.


So they are going to get E2s since they are quasi Boeings now?
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:00 pm

Nm
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15728
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:02 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

This is a way for AS to grow its network without receiving large numbers of airplanes. With the Max debacle, ALL airlines will be challenged to grow. Aside from a merger/acquisition, how else would you grow without airplanes? Here’s our answer.



Who said AS isn’t getting airplanes? The oneworld partnership is only one part of the jaw-dropping that comes from the growth plan. More to come.


So they are going to get E2s since they are quasi Boeings now?


The fleet decision will be 737 MAX 9 and MAX 10, A321NEO, or a combination thereof. Nothing smaller; AS wants to grow gauge.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:


Who said AS isn’t getting airplanes? The oneworld partnership is only one part of the jaw-dropping that comes from the growth plan. More to come.


So they are going to get E2s since they are quasi Boeings now?


The fleet decision will be 737 MAX 9 and MAX 10, A321NEO, or a combination thereof. Nothing smaller; AS wants to grow gauge.


What does the delivery schedule look like for AS? How many airplanes, and when?
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15728
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 pm

AirFiero wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

So they are going to get E2s since they are quasi Boeings now?


The fleet decision will be 737 MAX 9 and MAX 10, A321NEO, or a combination thereof. Nothing smaller; AS wants to grow gauge.


What does the delivery schedule look like for AS? How many airplanes, and when?


There are ten 737 MAX 9s scheduled for delivery this year. The long term fleet decision hasn’t been made yet though, but will be by about 4Q20.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
vadodara
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:46 pm

AirFiero wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
cschleic wrote:
Jaws are dropping today.


Mine isn't. the headline here is AA making SEA an INTL Hub. I have always assumed AS would join One world and this is going back 2 years at least. AS deciding to be a feeder for AA in SEA is exactly what DL wanted them to be. So whats changed except that the national player plan AS attempted didn't work. I really hope this isn't the big news AS was hiding. Im still waiting for my jaw to drop with something that concerns "AS Growth" especially out of the PNW.
MIflyer12 wrote:
[

This ought to end - for half a decade, at least, talk of AS getting 787s and running their own TATL and TPAC.

Jaws are dropping because AS has neutered itself to become a feeder carrier to AA at SEA and LAX.


:checkmark:


This is a way for AS to grow its network without receiving large numbers of airplanes. With the Max debacle, ALL airlines will be challenged to grow. Aside from a merger/acquisition, how else would you grow without airplanes? Here’s our answer.


Perhaps more for AA to stay relevant outside DFW. They have ceded a lot of ground to DL. With a newly aggressive UA at ORD, EWR, AA surely needed some other options.
 
Jet-lagged
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:58 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:16 am

EA CO AS wrote:
More to come.


Bigger planes?



I think Alaska might tweak LAX to better feed AA’s transpacific flights.

Maybe more capacity from Austin to Seattle, to feed Bangalore.




In that other thread the chatter is only about AA but OneWorld is bigger than that. I wonder what else it might sense for AS to do.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5244
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 am

Jet-lagged wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
More to come.


Bigger planes?



I think Alaska might tweak LAX to better feed AA’s transpacific flights.

Maybe more capacity from Austin to Seattle, to feed Bangalore.




In that other thread the chatter is only about AA but OneWorld is bigger than that. I wonder what else it might sense for AS to do.


The PNW has a sizeable West Asian population.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:31 am

There was quite a sizeable number of changes to AS's schedules posted on Enilria's OAG thread this morning -- 61 sked adjustments I believe -- mostly taking effect this Sept and Oct. (I have to admit that I was quite happy with most of the changes that affected my airport.) And the changes were spread throughout AS's network; about a third of the changes affect SEA, about 1/3 are for PDX, and the final third was split between SAN, SJC, LAX and a few smaller stations. This is one of the first sked change reports in a while where the majority of the changes were not at SEA.

I'm wondering if this indicates that the major endeavor of AS loading SEA with as many resources (read: large aircraft and gates) as possible, as has happened so far this year, is over. In fact, about half of the SEA changes are decreases in frequencies (as are the PDX changes.) I know this is partly the normal seasonal redux that happen in the PNW every fall, but perhaps not all are?

There are several AS threads going right now but I hope some of those discussions might end up on this thread. And I'm sure we're all waiting for the interesting stuff that should be coming fairly soon from AS as more of their 5-year plan is revealed (according to our very reliable in-the-know fellow on AS-threads.)

bb
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:46 am

SANFan wrote:
There was quite a sizeable number of changes to AS's schedules posted on Enilria's OAG thread this morning -- 61 sked adjustments I believe -- mostly taking effect this Sept and Oct. (I have to admit that I was quite happy with most of the changes that affected my airport.) And the changes were spread throughout AS's network; about a third of the changes affect SEA, about 1/3 are for PDX, and the final third was split between SAN, SJC, LAX and a few smaller stations. This is one of the first sked change reports in a while where the majority of the changes were not at SEA.

I'm wondering if this indicates that the major endeavor of AS loading SEA with as many resources (read: large aircraft and gates) as possible, as has happened so far this year, is over. In fact, about half of the SEA changes are decreases in frequencies (as are the PDX changes.) I know this is partly the normal seasonal redux that happen in the PNW every fall, but perhaps not all are?

There are several AS threads going right now but I hope some of those discussions might end up on this thread. And I'm sure we're all waiting for the interesting stuff that should be coming fairly soon from AS as more of their 5-year plan is revealed (according to our very reliable in-the-know fellow on AS-threads.)

bb


As a caveat, enrilia did note that some could be errors.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:35 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
As a caveat, enrilia did note that some could be errors.

The very first AS listing -- ANC-DUT -- is the only error possibility that he notes:
This must be an error. They have done this several times.
*AS ANC-DUT JUN 2>0[3] JUL 2>0[2] AUG 2>0[2] SEP 2>0[2] OCT 2>0[2] NOV 2>0[2] DEC 2>0[3]

And from the looking I've done at the Sept 9 schedules, and later, everything Enilria reported looks accurate.

bb
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:30 am

Alaska Airlines adds Boeing Field to Lihue charters:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... pril-2020/
 
jspurg15
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:02 pm

airlinewatcher1 wrote:
Any chance AS could restart PDX-DEN and SFO-DEN?


It is not in the books as of right now but maybe in the next few years.
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:12 pm

May schedule cuts announced today...nothing specific yet.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5244
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:42 am

Ishrion wrote:
Alaska Airlines adds Boeing Field to Lihue charters:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... pril-2020/


I wonder why?
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Alaska Airlines adds Boeing Field to Lihue charters:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... pril-2020/


I wonder why?



Probably for a big, rich Seattle company for a corporate retreat. Amazon?
 
roadrunner165
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2000 6:28 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:01 am

So what's the latest and greatest news? Are we expecting major cuts to be announced any day now?

Here in Nome its business as usual. We've had a couple of questionable AS cancelations this past week. The weather was indeed marginal, but we've all landed in worse so a few of us assume flights canceled for other reasons. And NAC, Evertts and Lynden seemed to all make it in okay. I'm booked to Anchorage on Tuesday for a trip overnight. And then to Minneapolis on the 23rd returning the following week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed domestic travel continues with little interruption for those of use who need to fly out of necessity and not leisure.
 
tiptoe42
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:37 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
So what's the latest and greatest news? Are we expecting major cuts to be announced any day now?

Here in Nome its business as usual. We've had a couple of questionable AS cancelations this past week. The weather was indeed marginal, but we've all landed in worse so a few of us assume flights canceled for other reasons. And NAC, Evertts and Lynden seemed to all make it in okay. I'm booked to Anchorage on Tuesday for a trip overnight. And then to Minneapolis on the 23rd returning the following week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed domestic travel continues with little interruption for those of use who need to fly out of necessity and not leisure.


Don’t be surprised if all domestic air travel is ended this week, and even if it’s not, yes deeper cuts will be coming at Alaska.
 
roadrunner165
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2000 6:28 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:14 pm

And domestic air travel shutting down is something I’ve certainly given serious thought about. I figure my trip to Anchorage tomorrow will be fine. But I certainly worry about Minneapolis next week. I don’t want to travel down there and become stranded. Most Americans travel for business or leisure — but remember there are a small group of us who have children who are sick and receiving treatment in far flung places. I’ve been commuting back and forth to Minnesota to see my wife and kids for 9 months now. So the decision to travel or not is one that isn’t taken lightly. I certainly would like to see my wife and kids, but I don’t want to spread illness either — so I should probably be asking the doctors about this too.
Last edited by roadrunner165 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:27 pm

If there is a temporary travel restriction involving SEA then AS will have its work cut out for them
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1397
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:58 pm

10% cut for April and at least 15% for May is what has been announced. $400m line of credit drawn upon with more to come. $2B cash on hand.
 
KFTG
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:59 pm

Surely for some communities in Alaska there would be exceptions?
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5253
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Director of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport says TSA checkpoints now average 16K-17K people daily. Compare that to the 50K typical of this time of year.


https://twitter.com/GrahamKIRO7/status/ ... 4230657025
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
BigPlaneGuy13
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:00 pm

Any updates on AS regarding COVID-19 operations? Do they have a strategy in place?
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15728
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
Any updates on AS regarding COVID-19 operations? Do they have a strategy in place?


Right now the plan is to cut capacity in high frequency and markets and some red eye flying, totaling about a 15% capacity reduction, or about 200 flights out of 1300 daily.

Of course, things are fluid and adjustments will be made as situations change. Employees are being offered 30/60/90 day voluntary unpaid leaves, with the company keeping both travel and medical benefits in place for that duration.

The company has drawn on a $400M line of credit and now has just over $2.0B in cash on hand. Plans are to keep flying unless told not to by the FAA.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4939
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

2 week mandatory quarantine for flights arriving Alaska. When are they going to cut ANC freqs?
 
tphuang
Posts: 5184
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:24 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
Any updates on AS regarding COVID-19 operations? Do they have a strategy in place?


Right now the plan is to cut capacity in high frequency and markets and some red eye flying, totaling about a 15% capacity reduction, or about 200 flights out of 1300 daily.

Of course, things are fluid and adjustments will be made as situations change. Employees are being offered 30/60/90 day voluntary unpaid leaves, with the company keeping both travel and medical benefits in place for that duration.

The company has drawn on a $400M line of credit and now has just over $2.0B in cash on hand. Plans are to keep flying unless told not to by the FAA.


you are still maintaining the 15% cut line? HI got a 2 week quarantine now and so does alaska. How much of AS capacity do these markets represent?
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15728
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:06 pm

tphuang wrote:
you are still maintaining the 15% cut line?


Again, as I already stated RIGHT NOW the plan is to cut capacity in high frequency and markets and some red eye flying, totaling about a 15% capacity reduction. But, the situation is fluid and new plans are being developed. Once the company is willing to share next steps, you’ll know, but everything they do is done for a reason.

What you see as being slow to react can also be seen as being thoughtful and deliberate about what actions are taken.

As the saying goes, never mistake motion for action.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15728
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:39 am

More guidance on reductions to be released shortly, well beyond initial guidance.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4939
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:52 am

EA CO AS wrote:
More guidance on reductions to be released shortly, well beyond initial guidance.

Wow shocking.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15728
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 am

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
BigGSFO
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:27 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:01 am

Wow. 70% schedule reduction is shocking, but not surprising.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 am

Seems like a very sensible decision, airlines are flying empty planes around and it is not sustainable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:14 am

Such a sad day....cuts of 70% through at least May. No breakdown yet on which routes survive.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4939
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 am

Interested to see how much they cut ANC
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos