Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CRJ5000

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:00 am

Will be interesting cuts indeed. I'd imagine the intra-AS flying sticks around as it is rather essential to those communities. Maybe anything with multiple frequencies gets cut to 1, and some of the routes to smaller-mid sized cities cut entirely. Obviously the limited international (Mexico) flying they do will likely be cut entirely.
Really hoping that AS and all airlines are returning to a larger schedule after May, but that definitely doesn't seem like a given right now.

sunking737

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 am

It will be interesting to see if AS can remove any of the Airbuses sooner now.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

hiflyeras

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 pm

sunking737 wrote:

If pilots are furloughed by seniority, I wonder if a disproportionate number of those considered redundant might be AB pilots due to the VX group being lower on the list? I might be wrong on this...I don't know the details on how the seniority lists were merged.

roadrunner165

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Intra-Alaska flights to Nome will be cut to 1x daily. In addition, you now need a permit to enter or leave the Nome airport. Things are getting a little bit out of hand with the local government and I'm heading down to City Hall today to find out why. As government takes necessary steps to ensure public health, they must also safeguard people's civil rights and liberties.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:50 pm

sunking737 wrote:

They could probably park them all right now. Add the Maxs when this is over and never look back.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:
Intra-Alaska flights to Nome will be cut to 1x daily. In addition, you now need a permit to enter or leave the Nome airport. Things are getting a little bit out of hand with the local government and I'm heading down to City Hall today to find out why. As government takes necessary steps to ensure public health, they must also safeguard people's civil rights and liberties.

Grab your lawyer. I want to see you argue in state court that you have a right to make other people sick. If Nome isn't an example of a place that's isolated and with limited medical resources, no place is.

msp747

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
https://blog.alaskaair.com/coronavirus/operational-update/

We knew it was coming, but it is still sad to see. Hang in there! I always appreciate your updates.

EA CO AS

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:58 pm

In addition to the schedule reductions, all levels of leadership (myself included) are taking pay cuts of 10% to 30% depending on their role. Hopefully this is enough to avoid even a single job loss to any employee.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

MAH4546

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:00 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

Grab your lawyer. I want to see you argue in state court that you have a right to make other people sick. If Nome isn't an example of a place that's isolated and with limited medical resources, no place is.

It is illegal to restrict travel between U.S. points. He doesn't need a lawyer.
a.

Prost

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Port of Seattle has indefinitely halted Alaska cruises, Canadian ports are closed until at least July1, and both Alaska and Hawaii are instigating 14 day quarantines for anybody entering the state. That makes up a lot of flying in the summer for both Alaska and Delta out ofSeattle, obviously harder on Alaska as they are the much larger carrier in Seattle.

I have so much respect for Alaska and their employees that I hope they come out of this well positioned to continue serving the west as well as they have. And I say that as an employee of a rival.

EA CO AS

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:59 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
In addition to the schedule reductions, all levels of leadership (myself included) are taking pay cuts of 10% to 30% depending on their role. Hopefully this is enough to avoid even a single job loss to any employee.

Forgot to mention the BOD has halted their compensation, and both Brad Tilden and Ben Minicucci have reduced their salaries to zero.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

chrisair

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:19 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Forgot to mention the BOD has halted their compensation, and both Brad Tilden and Ben Minicucci have reduced their salaries to zero.

But not Gary Beck.

Good luck to everyone in Chester land. This (now grounded) 75K almost weekly commuter wishes you the best and can't wait to get back in the sky.

EA CO AS

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:23 pm

chrisair wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

But not Gary Beck.

Good luck to everyone in Chester land. This (now grounded) 75K almost weekly commuter wishes you the best and can't wait to get back in the sky.

Not sure what percentage Gary took but it's got to be more than the EVP/SVP/VP level, who all took 30% cuts. MDs took 20%, and Director and below took 10%.

Many thanks for the well-wishes. May we all get through this intact, and I look forward to seeing you onboard again soon.

chrisair

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Not sure what percentage Gary took but it's got to be more than the EVP/SVP/VP level, who all took 30% cuts. MDs took 20%, and Director and below took 10%.

50%. It should be 100% just like the other exec leadership. It just looks bad to me, but what do I know.

Stay safe!

CantbeGrounded

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

Question for you - The workforce retention provision of the aid package from DC explicitly prohibits reductions in pay rates and benefits (and invol furloughs), etc as a condition to receive the aid (Sec 4114) until 9/30/20. Is the way around that by just cutting hours and leaving rates unchanged? I was hopeful that language would keep folks whole.

flybaurlax

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 pm

CantbeGrounded wrote:
Is the way around that by just cutting hours and leaving rates unchanged? I was hopeful that language would keep folks whole.

This is exactly what happened - hourly rates didn't change, but the hours we work did change. This effectively cuts our pay. It hurts, but honestly I'm still thankful to have a job (at least through September).
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

roadrunner165

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 pm

Nome, Alaska will be 1x daily Monday through Friday until further notice. No weekend service. So down from 14 flights per week to 5. Cargo flights have no restrictions. Continue to see NAC, Everts, Lynden and Alaska Air Cargo on a daily basis.

roadrunner165

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:37 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

It is illegal to restrict travel between U.S. points. He doesn't need a lawyer.

Yes. I fully agree. But we're dealing with a unique situation in rural Alaska where you have to fly from village to village. Local government has a great deal of control if they restrict access to the airport, folks can’t just hop in their cars. I have a child in Minnesota waiting for surgery with a complex medical condition.... so I went down to City Hall today and got my exit permit in the event I need to leave Nome on short notice. (I've got my papers now, comrade!) Had my permit been denied by the City Manager, the Mayor would have be the next level of appeal, and then I would have had to make a petition to the Superior Court which I would have done and like you said, its illegal to restrict travel between points in the US. But that doesn't mean somebody won't try. And you have to find a willing party to challenge it in courts.

edit: Quickly to address MIflyer12: Back to the question of whether the government - state or federal - can confine persons against their will in order to protect public health. The short answer is yes, but the Constitution requires procedural due process. That means a trial for every person confined. Thus, a government ordered quarantine of all persons in a city block or postal code or a telephone area code would be an egregious violation of due process, both substantive and procedural. Substantively, no government in America has the lawful power to curtail natural rights by decree. Procedurally, notwithstanding the fear of disease contagion, the states and feds may only quarantine those who are actively contagious and will infect others imminently. And it must present evidence of both at trial at which it bears the burden of proof. And a quick side note: We have zero confirmed cases in Wester Alaska.
Last edited by roadrunner165 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NameOmitted

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:42 pm

Earlier, it was reported that Alaska Air Cargo wanted to get their hands on a -800, but that was unlikely before the Max started flying. Has anyone heard if 1) the cargo market is still strong enough to warrant this and 2) if such a dramatic reduction in passenger service might free up an -800 for cargo use?

ericm2031

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Are the freighters now able to take full loads? They had a design flaw with the barrier between the cargo area and galley. As of January, they were estimating 30-60 day fix but haven't heard if it has been resolved.

Chugach

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
Earlier, it was reported that Alaska Air Cargo wanted to get their hands on a -800, but that was unlikely before the Max started flying. Has anyone heard if 1) the cargo market is still strong enough to warrant this and 2) if such a dramatic reduction in passenger service might free up an -800 for cargo use?

If anything I’d imagine cargo is way up. Everybody is ordering online now. AS used 738’s on cargo only flights last year while the freighters were getting work done, I’d be surprised if they don’t start doing that again.

Plus, AS is supposed to start shuttling oil workers to SCC from “a Pacific Northwest gateway” in order to bypass ANC.

Good luck to AS and their employees. I’m a 75K (grounded for now)...get through this because the places I fly to regularly need you!

gmcc

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 pm

AS ran a couple of odd flights today maybe cargo runs or positioning flights. AS9800 from SAN to LIH and AS9802 from SEA to OAK. Both were 800. I guess the could have charters as well.

flybaurlax

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:36 pm

gmcc wrote:
AS ran a couple of odd flights today maybe cargo runs or positioning flights. AS9800 from SAN to LIH and AS9802 from SEA to OAK. Both were 800. I guess the could have charters as well.

OAK will be a parking spot for some of the fleet. So I suspect that's where it was heading.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

chrisair

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:36 pm

flybaurlax wrote:
OAK will be a parking spot for some of the fleet. So I suspect that's where it was heading.

At least one plane is parked in Phoenix. I suspect more might end up here at some point.

roadrunner165 wrote:
Thus, a government ordered quarantine of all persons in a city block or postal code or a telephone area code would be an egregious violation of due process, both substantive and procedural.

State governments have pretty broad quarantine powers to protect public health. Courts generally don’t get involved either, and when they do, they usually side with states.

roadrunner165 wrote:
And a quick side note: We have zero confirmed cases in Wester Alaska.

And you better hope it doesn’t take off in the villages and communities. If this thing takes off in Nome or some of the even more remote villages, it could theoretically wipe them all out. Makes total sense Nome wants to keep everyone out.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. Hope everyone is staying safe!

gmcc

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 pm

flybaurlax wrote:
gmcc wrote:

Had not heard of OAK being a parking spot, only GSO,
OKC and SAT. Guess they need more space with the additional flight pull down. I know a couple of Q400 for QX are stored at Hillsboro, OR and several might also be in Spokane.

flybaurlax

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 pm

gmcc wrote:
OKC and SAT

Here's the list
ANC
EAT
GEG
GSO
JFK
LAS
OAK
OKC
PDX
PHX
SAN
SAT
SNA

I think QX is going to HIO, PDX, EAT, and GEG, but not totally sure.

Crazy times.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

gmcc

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 am

QX is definitely going to HIO, saw a picture of a couple of Qs parked on the grass. Didn't realize the Q was an ATA (all terrain aircraft) :duck: . Can't see SNA as being very useful as it is so constrain space wise but you might be able to store some stuff at the unused ground gate in terminal C. Still seems like an odd choice.

BearatoneSEA

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 am

In other news, I see that at JFK Alaska is moving from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 "temporarily".

Any idea why this is happening? I mean, they started at T8 (I was on the inaugural flight from SEA) and moved to the horrible T7 (although the lounge is quite nice there). I can imagine at some point AS moving permanently to T8, given the OneWorld alliance and T7 eventually being torn down.

Anyone?

32andBelow

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:16 am

BearatoneSEA wrote:
In other news, I see that at JFK Alaska is moving from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 "temporarily".

Any idea why this is happening? I mean, they started at T8 (I was on the inaugural flight from SEA) and moved to the horrible T7 (although the lounge is quite nice there). I can imagine at some point AS moving permanently to T8, given the OneWorld alliance and T7 eventually being torn down.

Anyone?

They are consolidating terminals at JFK due to low demand.

KirkSeattle

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:05 pm

gmcc wrote:
flybaurlax wrote:
gmcc wrote:

OKC and SAT. Guess they need more space with the additional flight pull down. I know a couple of Q400 for QX are stored at Hillsboro, OR and several might also be in Spokane.

I happened to check MLB (Melbourne, FL) on FR24, it has two Alaska flights coming in, most likely parking as it is small airport and they don't serve the airport.

Friday 3/27 SEA-MLB AS9463 a B739
Saturday 3/28 TPA-MLB AS9462 a B739

gmcc

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:19 pm

MLB is a good place to park them. AS also does 2ku satellite installs there. If the birds don't have 2ku yet then it can be installed just before they return to service.

hiflyeras

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:09 pm

JFK shutting down T7 due to lack of TSA staff. DL has also closed T2 at JFK for the same reason. The world is contracting.

Dash8Driver16

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:48 pm

I know the station in Juneau is making preparations for up to 4 aircraft to be stashed there as well.

Kronesian

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:47 am

KirkSeattle wrote:
gmcc wrote:
flybaurlax wrote:

I happened to check MLB (Melbourne, FL) on FR24, it has two Alaska flights coming in, most likely parking as it is small airport and they don't serve the airport.

They are going into STS for mods. They just flew a bird back to SEA today.
KMLB

n7371f

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 am

Everything is negotiable.

How many 320 left that still have Virgin branded interior? Incentive to peddle those first although the new interiors and contracts for installs are already signed as well.

Wonder where the deal with the lessor on the 319's is? They were supposed to go back to lessor and then be leased onward to AA. If AS deal is still solid, they don't care if AA can't take them - won't be their problem.

sunking737 wrote:

n7371f

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:44 am

MLB is used for satellite 2Ku installs. There is also a MRO down there now. No one will store an aircraft on Florida's coast with Hurricane season coming.

KirkSeattle wrote:
gmcc wrote:
flybaurlax wrote:

n7371f

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:45 am

GEG Admin was told to expect decent amount of DH4 planes as QX already has a hangar across the way and there is plenty of tarmac space in area to park the planes.

flybaurlax wrote:
gmcc wrote:
OKC and SAT

Here's the list
ANC
EAT
GEG
GSO
JFK
LAS
OAK
OKC
PDX
PHX
SAN
SAT
SNA

I think QX is going to HIO, PDX, EAT, and GEG, but not totally sure.

Crazy times.

Passedv1

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:35 am

hiflyeras wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

If pilots are furloughed by seniority, I wonder if a disproportionate number of those considered redundant might be AB pilots due to the VX group being lower on the list? I might be wrong on this...I don't know the details on how the seniority lists were merged.

It depends how deep the cuts go which is going to depend on how sharp the rebound is. If demand bounces back and we are back to normal by Q4 then I doubt there will be any furloughs.

We have actually hired quite a bit of pilots post-merger.

The bottom 20-ish percent of pilots are post-merger pilots. A large portion of these are Airbus pilots, as the Airbus bases have ended up as our junior bases. However, they were never VX pilots. The next junior 20% actually went to where the Legacy-AS pilots ended up junior for a given date of hire. If you were hired on the same day, you wound up more junior as a legacy-Alaska pilot. That flips around for 20% above that group. It really all depends on how deep this goes.

ericm2031

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Lots of cuts coming. I see SBP-SAN is cut as well as FAT/SBA-PDX. SBA/SBP-SEA will operate as a tag on flight and operate SEA-SBP-SBA-SBP-SEA

DeltaRules

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:12 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
Lots of cuts coming. I see SBP-SAN is cut as well as FAT/SBA-PDX. SBA/SBP-SEA will operate as a tag on flight and operate SEA-SBP-SBA-SBP-SEA

SEA-CMH now has a stopover at MSP in each direction. CMH-MSP is bookable.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

ericm2031

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:24 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

SEA-CMH now has a stopover at MSP in each direction. CMH-MSP is bookable.

Per a post on the OAG report for this week, these all have been loaded:

SEA-PIT-BWI
SEA-RDU-CHS
SEA-DFW-IAH
SEA-MSP-CMH
SEA-SBP-SBA
SEA-FCA-HLN

32andBelow

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:34 pm

I sea SEAANC around 2X in the app starting next week.

roadrunner165

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Bethel reportedly cut to 3x weekly and Kotzebue cut to 2x weekly. We are anticipating our 5x weekly to Nome will be cut down to 2x weekly shortly.

KlimaBXsst

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:28 am

I kind of am wondering if one SEA-BNA-ATL may be in the works!
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

KlimaBXsst

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:31 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:

After all ATL is not a OneWorld hub.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

32andBelow

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:49 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
Bethel reportedly cut to 3x weekly and Kotzebue cut to 2x weekly. We are anticipating our 5x weekly to Nome will be cut down to 2x weekly shortly.

Is southeast going to go down tow. Daily milk run?

ytib

Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 am

32andBelow wrote:

I've heard JNU will get down to basically the milk runs.

AS61: SEA-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC
AS66: ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU-SEA
AS64: ANC-JNU-PSG-WRG-KTN-SEA
AS65: SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC

The above are all EAS routes. (https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... r-2019.pdf)

However it looks like AS72 and AS79 are still running as of now.

SIT is getting AS70 (ANC-JNU-SIT) and AS73 (SIT-JNU-ANC) as well.

I was also told the amount of cargo they are carrying through JNU right now is at levels they haven't seen in the past.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

ericm2031

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

After all ATL is not a OneWorld hub.

OW isn't planned until next summer

MIflyer12

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:28 am

roadrunner165 wrote:

See the DOT Show Cause order of 31 March for details of acceptable service levels. If a served point had service by a carrier at least 5x weekly it must be maintained a minimum of 5x weekly - unless AS forgoes payroll grants or gets a waiver.

32andBelow

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:29 am

ytib wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

I've heard JNU will get down to basically the milk runs.

AS61: SEA-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC
AS66: ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU-SEA
AS64: ANC-JNU-PSG-WRG-KTN-SEA
AS65: SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC

The above are all EAS routes. (https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... r-2019.pdf)

However it looks like AS72 and AS79 are still running as of now.

SIT is getting AS70 (ANC-JNU-SIT) and AS73 (SIT-JNU-ANC) as well.

I was also told the amount of cargo they are carrying through JNU right now is at levels they haven't seen in the past.
thats a lot of service for southeast still.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos