Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SyracuseAvGeek

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:35 am

Is the ANC - ADK (Adak) going to continue to operate at 2x Weekly? I know that route is pretty empty and that’s even before all of this. But they are an EAS route
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

joeblow10

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:05 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Is the ANC - ADK (Adak) going to continue to operate at 2x Weekly? I know that route is pretty empty and that’s even before all of this. But they are an EAS route

It looks like it’s still loaded 2x weekly for now. Though, some carriers have been asking for reduced EAS exceptions.

I flew to ADK a few years back just for kicks. 5 people on the plane. Guessing the loads haven’t gotten too much worse :lol:

usxguy

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:02 am

ytib wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Is southeast going to go down tow. Daily milk run?

I've heard JNU will get down to basically the milk runs.

AS61: SEA-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC
AS66: ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU-SEA
AS64: ANC-JNU-PSG-WRG-KTN-SEA
AS65: SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC

The above are all EAS routes. (https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... r-2019.pdf)

However it looks like AS72 and AS79 are still running as of now.

SIT is getting AS70 (ANC-JNU-SIT) and AS73 (SIT-JNU-ANC) as well.

I was also told the amount of cargo they are carrying through JNU right now is at levels they haven't seen in the past.

Dumbleavey letting AMH virtually shut down hasn't helped... so theres been a heavy uptick in cargo.

Flight wise, theres barely enough traffic for one flight to Seattle AND Anchorage. I would suspect we will see 2 a day to Anchorage- 1 milkrun & 1 nonstop (continuing of milkrun south), Seattle- 3.... maybe 60 continue (1 stop via Ketch), 64 (milkrun), and 66.

I live in Juneau & it was scary for a bit- Costco was wiped out of food. There were 3 aisles almost completely empty, including above... save for some coconut oil, olives, and spices. For some reason they can't seem to keep tp, paper towels, or ground beef stocked.
xx

Varsity1

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 am

Pilots are saying 30(?) A319's and A320's are getting parked? Pilots are getting displaced to the 737 fleet and entering training next month.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

NameOmitted

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:18 pm

AS is seeking FAA approval to fly six passenger 737-900s as freighters in the near term:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Passe ... 42531.html

SANFan

Sun May 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Interesting moves from AAG reported this morning in Enilria's OAG thread.

In amongst all the cuts and drops this summer due to Covid -- and some are quite notable -- 3 new routes are reported to be starting in September: PDX-DEN, LAX-FAT & SJC-GEG! (I know PDX-DEN has been offered in the past, and I'm not sure about the other 2.)

There's plenty to be discussed here just based on what's listed in the OAG thread this week but I thought these 3 new routes might be a good start.

I suppose there will certainly be lots of a/c and crews available to begin new routes but I'm curious about the timing of adding new stuff when the carrier could possibly still be cutting flights in late summer/early fall? Are these particularly competitive routes that AS sees as being dropped by other cx? Are they hoping to ride the wave of some sort of projected rapidly-returning popularity of flying by the public and business travelers? Are these the 3 most desired yet unserved routes for AAG, right at the top of their list of "must add" new routes? Perhaps these are replacements for routes (and cities?) that AS might be planning on dropping permanently?

I will add that these route-adds do conform to AAG's recent growth strategy - western states-centric and all added from hubs (PDX & LAX) and focus cities (SJC).

bb

Coronado990

Sun May 24, 2020 7:13 pm

SANFan wrote:

In amongst all the cuts and drops this summer due to Covid -- and some are quite notable -- 3 new routes are reported to be starting in September: PDX-DEN, LAX-FAT & SJC-GEG! (I know PDX-DEN has been offered in the past, and I'm not sure about the other 2.)

There's plenty to be discussed here just based on what's listed in the OAG thread this week but I thought these 3 new routes might be a good start.

I suppose there will certainly be lots of a/c and crews available to begin new routes but I'm curious about the timing of adding new stuff when the carrier could possibly still be cutting flights in late summer/early fall? Are these particularly competitive routes that AS sees as being dropped by other cx? Are they hoping to ride the wave of some sort of projected rapidly-returning popularity of flying by the public and business travelers? Are these the 3 most desired yet unserved routes for AAG, right at the top of their list of "must add" new routes? Perhaps these are replacements for routes (and cities?) that AS might be planning on dropping permanently?

I will add that these route-adds do conform to AAG's recent growth strategy - western states-centric and all added from hubs (PDX & LAX) and focus cities (SJC).

bb

FAT-LAX is an interesting add. I wonder if they will eventually add other intra-state flights out of LAX such as SAN, PSP or MRY and help feed the international OW flights there. We'll see.
Cornucopia

FATFlyer

Sun May 24, 2020 8:05 pm

The FAT-LAX flight shows as connecting to AS flights to PVR, SJD, MZT, HNL, OGG, etc.

It will likely provide some OW connections also but it is feeding the AS network.

AA already has Skywest planned to resume 3X FAT-LAX, including a morning departure only 20 minutes before the first AS planned departure.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

DeltaRules

Sun May 24, 2020 8:15 pm

Any idea as to the logic behind the cities AS has applied to drop? I can't speak to the others (though SAT and MSY are also notable markets), but CMH-SEA was supposed to go double-daily this Summer and, instead, is getting axed.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

SANFan

Mon May 25, 2020 12:18 am

ELP is another city that AS has asked the DOT to be able to drop; as with other cities on the chopping block -- at least temporarily -- it is served only from SEA.

Formerly, ELP also had service to SAN and the EMJ flew daily SEA-ELP-SAN-ELP-SEA. When the SAN-leg was dropped, the aircraft just flew from SEA to ELP and back but had strange schedules, spending, if I remember correctly, many hours on the ground in Texas.

Now in June, it appears the flight will arrive ELP ~9pm and not leave until almost noon the following day; it will op sub-daily. I realize AS is not short on a/c these days but ~15 hours on the ground at an outstation with only a single flight seems a bit odd. Is anyone aware of any sort of tag-on out of ELP? I can't find any.

If AS continues to serve ELP after the virus-dust settles, I remain hopeful that at some point, it will see resumed service to SAN so the Texas city will become a 2-destination city for AS. (The carrier was essentially run out of the market by WN at the beginning of this year.) Needless to say, noone is currently flying between ELP and SAN but WN is showing flights in the market resuming in September.

bb

PA12

Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 am

I hope they don’t drop ELP. It would be nice if they had a tag on from ABQ or TUS, and keep the n/s to SEA.

PA12

Mon May 25, 2020 1:15 am

I hope they don’t drop ELP. It would be nice if they had a tag on from ABQ or TUS, and keep the n/s to SEA.

gmcc

Mon May 25, 2020 5:32 am

I might be able to add a little color to the GEG-SJC add. I think that route has been a WN exclusive for several years. AS might be trying to preemptively turning the screws on WN. AS did something similar on the SNA-SFO route and managed to chase WN off of it. It could also provide connections to the BA SJC-LHR if it returns as well providing another connection stop to Hawaii if it returns.

wnflyguy

Mon May 25, 2020 6:05 am

gmcc wrote:
I might be able to add a little color to the GEG-SJC add. I think that route has been a WN exclusive for several years. AS might be trying to preemptively turning the screws on WN. AS did something similar on the SNA-SFO route and managed to chase WN off of it. It could also provide connections to the BA SJC-LHR if it returns as well providing another connection stop to Hawaii if it returns.

WN lost over half it's temporary slots at SNA due to reallocation by the airport.
SFO delays and SNA strict curfew just made since to eliminate it and double down on SJC and OAK.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

JayWings

Mon May 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Happy to see new routes added to the Alaska map! I’m hopeful that AS is one of the better positioned airlines to return from this pandemic nightmare. I think pulling down some high profile but currently unprofitable transcon routes is a smart way to slow the cash burn. The real test with any airline will be how deeply the cuts go in October when the CARES funds dry up.

tphuang

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:41 pm

This qualifies as pretty large news
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... force.html
expecting to be 20% smaller by next summer.
expecting to be 35 to 50% smaller by this winter
13% work reduction.

williaminsd

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:43 pm

tphuang wrote:
This qualifies as pretty large news
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... force.html
expecting to be 20% smaller by next summer.
expecting to be 35 to 50% smaller by this winter
13% work reduction.

While caution moving forward is only prudent, this article offers few, if any, specifics, and nothing that could even remotely be considered a guarantee. He makes clear everything he says is subject to change pending economic recovery. The hed itself says that the company "may" be facing up to a 13% workforce reduction, and that is immediately qualified as being based on "working assumptions that may change."

I don't know... are any contract negotiations coming up? Has management hinted at wanting to renegotiate any existing contract due to this "crisis?" Are they planning to offer any early retirement packages to further cut costs? This sounds more like a shot across the bow than the wielding of an axe.

n7371f

Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:55 am

WN has only operated the GEG-SJC nonstop for a couple of years, if that. But, yes, a small competitive move by AS in GEG after years of ignoring the market with just running everything over SEA and PDX while WN added nonstops to SJC, SMF, SAN (although SAN is not coming back - at least for the winter). Should also mention AS will get GEG-BOI to themselves as WN is dropping GEG-BOI after nearly 25 years.

gmcc wrote:

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:22 pm

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 63006.html

New FAT-LAX flight, looks like 2x daily
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

FATFlyer

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article243463006.html

New FAT-LAX flight, looks like 2x daily

That new route showed up in the OAG thread 2 weeks ago:
SANFan wrote:

FATFlyer wrote:
The FAT-LAX flight shows as connecting to AS flights to PVR, SJD, MZT, HNL, OGG, etc.

It will likely provide some OW connections also but it is feeding the AS network.

AA already has Skywest planned to resume 3X FAT-LAX, including a morning departure only 20 minutes before the first AS planned departure.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

HNLSLCPDX

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:12 am

Since UA/OO pulled out of SGU-LAX, would love to see AA or especially AS come in and try it. SGU airport director specifically mentioned SEA as a market he’d like to see added. Would be nice to see a LAX-SGU-SEA type flight added.

flyoregon

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:28 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Since UA/OO pulled out of SGU-LAX, would love to see AA or especially AS come in and try it. SGU airport director specifically mentioned SEA as a market he’d like to see added. Would be nice to see a LAX-SGU-SEA type flight added.

I would guess DL would start that before AS would

LAXBUR

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:29 am

BOI-GEG will (eventually and allegedly) go 4x daily with WN’s exit.

BOI-SFO is a new route with 2x daily.

Assuming these things stick in this environment.

roadrunner165

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:32 am

Wishing Alaska adds a few more flights between SEA-MSP before summer ends. It takes me 30 hours to get from Nome, Alaska to Minneapolis. And I'll be doing the trip weekly for the next three weeks.

SANFan

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Here's a small quick of some changes now scheduled for late this year by AS at their SAN Focus city (starting in Sept and Nov); in fact these changes were just released last Sunday so they are hot off the grill. (That doesn't mean they might not change as conditions worsen or improve but as of now, these are now on the schedules.)

SAN-BOI increasing to daily-double service;
SAN-GEG going to 2x daily as well;
SAN-MCO going Double-Daily starting in November;
SAN-PDX service going to 6x daily;
SAN-PVR service will be Daily;
SAN-SEA is seeing additional frequencies.

Coincidentally (!) most of these markets are being dropped entirely as of Nov 1 by WN. Any question as to whether AAG is jumping into opportunities as they become available? I have a list of other possible routes I feel AS should jump into but I certainly don't want to be accused of pushing them!

Unfortunately, the bad news revealed Sunday is that AS seems to be dropping SAN-SMF which I still find very disturbing so I won't talk about it anymore... SAN-SBP may be a casualty of Covid but I think it's too early to tell.

bb

ZOASAN

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:29 pm

SANFan wrote:
SAN-SBP may be a casualty of Covid but I think it's too early to tell.

bb

Fortunately, while maybe dropped in the interim, I noticed that through the fall, SBP is still bookable whereas SMF is not - there's still room for optimism!

durangomac

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:29 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

SGU is a very hard market to make work. OO lost lots of money over the years providing service there and most flight until recently never made a profit, usually break even was the goal and many occasions OO execs stated they were willing to lose money. The area is lucky to get the traffic it does because of OO having it's headquarters there. If OO didn't have it's headquarters there I would suspect at most 1-2 round trips a day to one hub, either SLC or DEN. The biggest issues is LAS being 2 hours down the road and insanely cheap with a lot of direct flights, pre-COVID of course.

The only way AS is going to start flying to SGU is if they provide massive subsidy and more than a year.

Remember OO flew to SGU as AA, DL and UA pro-rate for many years. I think I heard one route may have got under a CPA but I can't confirm that happened.

CRJ5000

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm

durangomac wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

SGU is a very hard market to make work. OO lost lots of money over the years providing service there and most flight until recently never made a profit, usually break even was the goal and many occasions OO execs stated they were willing to lose money. The area is lucky to get the traffic it does because of OO having it's headquarters there. If OO didn't have it's headquarters there I would suspect at most 1-2 round trips a day to one hub, either SLC or DEN. The biggest issues is LAS being 2 hours down the road and insanely cheap with a lot of direct flights, pre-COVID of course.

The only way AS is going to start flying to SGU is if they provide massive subsidy and more than a year.

Remember OO flew to SGU as AA, DL and UA pro-rate for many years. I think I heard one route may have got under a CPA but I can't confirm that happened.

Agreed. Any service there is likely to be tied to a large subsidy and that probably won't be there in the near future. I've flown on dozens of flights out of SGU, and it was very common to have 20-25 paid pax and 20+ nonrevenue pax on a CRJ200. They do sometimes fill them up with paid pax, but of all the airports I've commonly flown out of, SGU definitely has the largest percent of nonrev pax I've ever experienced.

HNLSLCPDX

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:10 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
durangomac wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Agreed. Any service there is likely to be tied to a large subsidy and that probably won't be there in the near future. I've flown on dozens of flights out of SGU, and it was very common to have 20-25 paid pax and 20+ nonrevenue pax on a CRJ200. They do sometimes fill them up with paid pax, but of all the airports I've commonly flown out of, SGU definitely has the largest percent of nonrev pax I've ever experienced.

I don’t think it’s as bad as you say. Pre Covid, SGU had 4x daily to SLC, 3x to PHX, 2x to DEN and 1x to each DFW and LAX. If loads were that bad I doubt DL, AA, UA would have that many flights.

I think AS could definitely make SEA work from SGU.

CRJ5000

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:30 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

I don’t think it’s as bad as you say. Pre Covid, SGU had 4x daily to SLC, 3x to PHX, 2x to DEN and 1x to each DFW and LAX. If loads were that bad I doubt DL, AA, UA would have that many flights.

I used to have to fly standby out of there weekly. It can get that bad or worse. Not always, but frequently. The at risk flying is only in the capacity it is to keep the Skywest employees moving. It is certainly at a loss.
COVID means crews aren't really moving around much, so the standbys are lower than I've seen but just checking the 2 SGU-SLC flights yesterday - Both upgraded to CRJ-900. 1 was 32 pax, and 15 were standbys. The other was 29 pax, 10 standbys. The crews flying deadhead/positive space are included in the regular pax numbers so assuming some of them were on board, it's worse than those numbers indicate. I've never experienced an airport quite like it.

joeblow10

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:37 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

I used to have to fly standby out of there weekly. It can get that bad or worse. Not always, but frequently. The at risk flying is only in the capacity it is to keep the Skywest employees moving. It is certainly at a loss.
COVID means crews aren't really moving around much, so the standbys are lower than I've seen but just checking the 2 SGU-SLC flights yesterday - Both upgraded to CRJ-900. 1 was 32 pax, and 15 were standbys. The other was 29 pax, 10 standbys. The crews flying deadhead/positive space are included in the regular pax numbers so assuming some of them were on board, it's worse than those numbers indicate. I've never experienced an airport quite like it.

I’ll never forget the time I was near the bottom of a 30+ person standby list for a CR2 on a Friday afternoon out of SGU. Needless to say, we were forced to sit around until Saturday morning. I’ve rarely seen lists that long at a major airport, let alone a small regional one. Guess all the OO folks headed out for the weekend.

CRJ5000

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:55 pm

joeblow10 wrote:

I’ll never forget the time I was near the bottom of a 30+ person standby list for a CR2 on a Friday afternoon out of SGU. Needless to say, we were forced to sit around until Saturday morning. I’ve rarely seen lists that long at a major airport, let alone a small regional one. Guess all the OO folks headed out for the weekend.

Bringing back bad memories...
I think OO standbys are the sole reason the St George Shuttle is in business. A whole lot of them just drive to LAS to avoid the long standby lists or take the shuttle.
With that being said, I just can't see SGU as a market that AS would want unless it is heavily subsidized. I don't recall OO doing at risk flying for AS (I don't know if they do or not), and it would almost certainly have to be an at risk market.

MAH4546

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:53 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
CRJ5000 wrote:
durangomac wrote:

Skywest is headquartered at SGU. All that service simply rotates planes and employees around. It makes sense given that, but ti's not because the market demand its.
a.

durangomac

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:09 am

CRJ5000 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Bringing back bad memories...
I think OO standbys are the sole reason the St George Shuttle is in business. A whole lot of them just drive to LAS to avoid the long standby lists or take the shuttle.
With that being said, I just can't see SGU as a market that AS would want unless it is heavily subsidized. I don't recall OO doing at risk flying for AS (I don't know if they do or not), and it would almost certainly have to be an at risk market.

I was probably one of those 30+ people on the standby list with you. I'm not even sure I could tell you how many times I ran to CDC or LAS with friends to fly out or to go pick up friends that couldn't make it into SGU. I did learn to enjoy the roller coaster ride into the old airport on the EMB-120.

The last time I checked with AS network planning, SGU wasn't even on the top 50 list of airports they were looking at, they just couldn't make the numbers work even with a modest subsidy.

SteveXC500

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:
Wishing Alaska adds a few more flights between SEA-MSP before summer ends. It takes me 30 hours to get from Nome, Alaska to Minneapolis. And I'll be doing the trip weekly for the next three weeks.

I believe they recently added AS986, which began flying on 6/14. It's an A321 evening SEA departure, arrives midnight-ish.

SANFan

Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:57 pm

I'm kind of anxious to see what might be unveiled by AAG in this weekend's OAG load, and will therefore show up in tomorrow morning's OAG thread by Enilria. Any sort of reaction to B6's announcements and actions over the last couple of days?

There's of course been speculation by many elsewhere that B6 is specifically targeting AS with the announcement of Blue's 3 new routes from EWR to SFO/LAX/SAN. Also the addition of FLL-SEA/PDX in the fall by Blue has generated a few comments aimed in AS's direction. There's AS's recent moves (and lack thereof, IMO) at JFK. All of these moves seem to hint at at least the possibility of some level of interaction between Blue and Chester!

In the last couple of weeks, we've already seen moves by AAG in response to moves/cuts by other cx so I wouldn't be surprised to see more of the same, possibly as early as this weekend? Any of these sorts of moves are obviously risky and could very well be undone as quickly as they were done given the times we're in this year. I figured it would be awhile, probably next year, before this aviation business we all love got exciting again... who'da thunk there would be so much to watch this soon?

Onward and upward AS! (See some of you tomorrow morning over coffee.)

bb

jplatts

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 pm

SANFan wrote:
I'm kind of anxious to see what might be unveiled by AAG in this weekend's OAG load, and will therefore show up in tomorrow morning's OAG thread by Enilria. Any sort of reaction to B6's announcements and actions over the last couple of days?

I had mentioned AS adding FLL-PDX nonstop service in response to B6 adding FLL-PDX nonstop service as AS has an FF base in the PDX market to support FLL-PDX nonstop service on AS. I had also mentioned that AS would be able to offer connections onto FLL-PDX nonstop flights from some AS destinations in the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and Hawaii if AS adds FLL-PDX nonstop service.

I had also mentioned AS adding PDX-IND/BNA/MSY/RDU/SAT/TPA nonstop service as possibilities with IND, BNA, MSY, RDU, SAT, and TPA being 6 of the top destinations that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from PDX.

Midwestindy

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

CLJFlyer

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:40 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
Any idea as to the logic behind the cities AS has applied to drop? I can't speak to the others (though SAT and MSY are also notable markets), but CMH-SEA was supposed to go double-daily this Summer and, instead, is getting axed.

Just to confirm...AS is dropping CMH-SEA? I just booked CMH-HNL round-trip on AS for mid-Oct.

SANFan

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:00 pm

Eyeing the building competition between AS and B6 -- according to some here on A.net anyway -- regarding EWR, transcons in general, etc., I wonder if PHL-CA (specifically
SAN is my primary interest of course) might be a next target for one or the other of the two cx? I search for markets that one or the other of the airlines might add ahead of the other.

There seems talk that PHL, along with EWR, might be a new target for expansion by Blue. I wonder if AS, which currently serves PHL only from SEA but has offered PDX-PHL in the past, might be considering a couple of CA-PHL routes? Or is this way down the list of opportunities for AAG especially considering their buddies at AA have all the PHL-markets pretty well covered?

Regarding EWR routes that AS currently offers, I can't see much they could do to increase their presence but maybe just remain in the 5 or so markets they serve from Liberty?Maybe a couple of slight frequency increases, depending on what AS plans to do at their other NYC airport... but what else could they really do?

bb

Tailwinds

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:57 pm

SANFan wrote:
might be considering a couple of CA-PHL routes? Or is this way down the list of opportunities for AAG especially considering their buddies at AA have all the PHL-markets pretty well covered?

AS offered SFO-PHL and LAX-PHL since the merger, but have pulled back on both. That was before the thawing of relations with AA though.

sunking737

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Did anyone catch that AS is going to cut even more Airbus jets next year?? I saw it posted in Aviator newsletter.I get emailed daily. " Alaska Airlines (US) plans to retire more A320s, including seven of its 49 remaining A320s in 2021. The carrier will retire one B737-800 and hopes to take delivery of 15 B737 MAX 8s in 2021."
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

USAavdork

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:09 pm

Sunking737: It’s my understanding these A320s were originally intended to be returned next year and it’s not a new decision.

CMHtraveler

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Just to confirm...AS is dropping CMH-SEA? I just booked CMH-HNL round-trip on AS for mid-Oct.

Unknown. It appeared on a list of requested CARES act exemption drops from AS about three weeks ago and has been operating as a tag-on to SEA-MSP during the pandemic. However, since that time the OAG threads here have indicated that rather than disappearing it is returning to a daily direct flight (rather than tag-on, which would seem good news?) in July and there has been no further news on a drop. Your guess is as good as mine, maybe someone on this thread has more info?

CLJFlyer

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:59 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Unknown. It appeared on a list of requested CARES act exemption drops from AS about three weeks ago and has been operating as a tag-on to SEA-MSP during the pandemic. However, since that time the OAG threads here have indicated that rather than disappearing it is returning to a daily direct flight (rather than tag-on, which would seem good news?) in July and there has been no further news on a drop. Your guess is as good as mine, maybe someone on this thread has more info?

I have flown the CMH-SEA through MSP 4 times this month. I hate the tag on, but better to have this service than none. Hopefully it sticks.

CMHtraveler

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:15 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
CMHtraveler wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:

I have flown the CMH-SEA through MSP 4 times this month. I hate the tag on, but better to have this service than none. Hopefully it sticks.

It did so well last summer (load factors above 95%) that pre-pandemic it was slated to go from 1x 319/320 to 2x 738 this year. DL added a competing a220 segment too. If air traffic returns to anything quasi-normal I see no reason it would be discontinued.

DeltaRules

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:33 am

CMHtraveler wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:
CMHtraveler wrote:

It did so well last summer (load factors above 95%) that pre-pandemic it was slated to go from 1x 319/320 to 2x 738 this year. DL added a competing a220 segment too. If air traffic returns to anything quasi-normal I see no reason it would be discontinued.

I don't know how much to read into it, but the fact it's a non-stop again as opposed to continuing with the MSP tag seems encouraging, especially since they're still running tags (as is the case with SEA-PIT-CHS, though I get that SEA-CHS is dependent on Boeing traffic).
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

deltaSEAalsaka

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:45 am

DeltaRules wrote:
CMHtraveler wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:

I don't know how much to read into it, but the fact it's a non-stop again as opposed to continuing with the MSP tag seems encouraging, especially since they're still running tags (as is the case with SEA-PIT-CHS, though I get that SEA-CHS is dependent on Boeing traffic).

The stopped running that on June 14 and now operate a non-stop SEA-CHS again. The PIT tag to CHS was also only around for a week.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

RWRCAS

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:02 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Did anyone catch that AS is going to cut even more Airbus jets next year?? I saw it posted in Aviator newsletter.I get emailed daily. " Alaska Airlines (US) plans to retire more A320s, including seven of its 49 remaining A320s in 2021. The carrier will retire one B737-800 and hopes to take delivery of 15 B737 MAX 8s in 2021."

As it has been said, those A320s leases are expiring and were always planned to be returned next year. Alaska does not have any MAX 8s coming. They have MAX 9s on order.

PHLspecial

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:44 pm

RWRCAS wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

As it has been said, those A320s leases are expiring and were always planned to be returned next year. Alaska does not have any MAX 8s coming. They have MAX 9s on order.

Are they doing to dump the neos as well?