Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
CobaltScar
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: AS responds to B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Mid cabin lavs are awesome and I hope with all this hype over social distancing they make a standard comeback. The nasty and fairly new configuration of having lavs actually IN the galley will come back to bite the carriers that did it. Customers are being educated on the germ (and worse) plumes flushing toilets causes. So flush toilet, then swing open lav door, wafting all that mess directly into the galley. Awful.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8620
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: AS claps back at B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:44 pm

nine4nine wrote:
When the WiFi and seatback power port actually works. I’ve been on some AS, WN, and UA flights where the network was down the entire flight or the power wasn’t there or INOP. At least in the old days before IFE at least you had a big cushy seat with the option to sleep the flight away. Now sitting on a park bench which is pretty impossible to even sleep with nothing to stare at other than a plastic seat back is misery.

And I've been on AA, UA, and DL flights where the IFE seat back screen was INOP, the WiFi kept rebooting, or the seats didn't recline (and no, these weren't exit row seats or the very last row). Does that mean they all have an inferior hard product too?

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Should be interesting to see if California’s governor does everything he can possibly do to keep the California economy shut down at a detriment to free enterprise and its citizens as he seems intent on doing.
Because it's been working out so great for TX and FL who did the opposite, right?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
GatorClark
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:34 am

Re: AS claps back at B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 am

USAirALB wrote:
The Florida routes are interesting.

AA attempted LAX-TPA a couple years back and it didn't quite work out. I think DL has been on the route for years now. The RSW adds are quite perplexing to me; I don't think anyone has attempted RSW-West Coast service. I never really thought RSW was popular for West Coast travelers as it seems much more a Midwestern market. I can't really see RSW working out in the long run.


Even though I'm a DL employee and fly DL whenever possible, I'm excited about the possibility of being able to fly from my home airport of RSW-LAX/SEA nonstop.. And I've been wanting to try out AS anyways so I really hope they can make this work. I've always wondered why DL never had an RSW-SLC/SEA/LAX flight. As a ramp rat, I would see TONS of bags coming through daily that were bound for LAX & SLC.
 
n7371f
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: AS claps back at B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:05 am

Flew several of the non ER 739's with mid-lav. Night and day. DAL also made the same, idiotic decision to no-go on mid-cabin.

AS first 3 738's were initially ordered by DAL years earlier but by time of delivery had long been sold to lessors - 50 or so aircraft when it was all said in done.

EA CO AS wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Yeah, we're going to probably have to agree to disagree.


I think we’re in agreement; they definitely didn’t want an Airbus fleet, although they did fall in love with the A321NEO once they inherited it. It wouldn’t surprise me to see those disappear in favor of MAX9s and possibly even MAX10s, though. Just give us mid-cabin lavs!
 
ASFlyer
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Re: AS claps back at B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:54 am

n7371f wrote:
Flew several of the non ER 739's with mid-lav. Night and day. DAL also made the same, idiotic decision to no-go on mid-cabin.

AS first 3 738's were initially ordered by DAL years earlier but by time of delivery had long been sold to lessors - 50 or so aircraft when it was all said in done.


:thumbsup: that mid cabin lav is a game changer in terms of passenger comfort and convenience
 
gmcc
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: AS claps back at B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:05 am

ASFlyer wrote:
n7371f wrote:
Flew several of the non ER 739's with mid-lav. Night and day. DAL also made the same, idiotic decision to no-go on mid-cabin.

AS first 3 738's were initially ordered by DAL years earlier but by time of delivery had long been sold to lessors - 50 or so aircraft when it was all said in done.


:thumbsup: that mid cabin lav is a game changer in terms of passenger comfort and convenience


But they depress the resale value of the plane on the 2nd hand market, so the must go.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4520
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: AS claps back at B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:25 pm

gmcc wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
n7371f wrote:
Flew several of the non ER 739's with mid-lav. Night and day. DAL also made the same, idiotic decision to no-go on mid-cabin.

AS first 3 738's were initially ordered by DAL years earlier but by time of delivery had long been sold to lessors - 50 or so aircraft when it was all said in done.


:thumbsup: that mid cabin lav is a game changer in terms of passenger comfort and convenience


But they depress the resale value of the plane on the 2nd hand market, so the must go.


Good design could take care of that. Even if the comfort of millions of flyers over the life of the plane is of no account.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
n7371f
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: AS claps back at B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:38 am

Don't tell UAL.

gmcc wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
n7371f wrote:
Flew several of the non ER 739's with mid-lav. Night and day. DAL also made the same, idiotic decision to no-go on mid-cabin.

AS first 3 738's were initially ordered by DAL years earlier but by time of delivery had long been sold to lessors - 50 or so aircraft when it was all said in done.


:thumbsup: that mid cabin lav is a game changer in terms of passenger comfort and convenience


But they depress the resale value of the plane on the 2nd hand market, so the must go.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1302
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: AS responds to B6, announces LAX and FLL expansion

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:57 am

Perhaps mid-cabin lavs should merit their own thread?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Was thinking this with the potential Oneworld membership starting. Is there a plan for AS to brand and name their regional/affiliate flying done by QX and OO similar to Delta Connection, American Eagle, etc.?
 
gmcc
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:08 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Was thinking this with the potential Oneworld membership starting. Is there a plan for AS to brand and name their regional/affiliate flying done by QX and OO similar to Delta Connection, American Eagle, etc.?


AS does that already, all QX flight are branded Alaska Horizon and all OO flight have Alaska skywest.
 
TYWoolman
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:52 pm

Alaska recently went on record stating that its competitors are dumping capacity and lowering fares, but then go on to announce new service in San Jose, CA. Can't those San Jose passengers get where they need to go on competing connecting networks without adding capacity then, or does Alaska need to operate in a vacuum so that they can expand in markets without much retaliation amid a recovery (?)

Sorry, having trouble with link:
Yahoo - Alaska Airlines President Wants Competitors to Stop Dumping Cheap Seats
 
joeblow10
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:31 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
Alaska recently went on record stating that its competitors are dumping capacity and lowering fares, but then go on to announce new service in San Jose, CA. Can't those San Jose passengers get where they need to go on competing connecting networks without adding capacity then, or does Alaska need to operate in a vacuum so that they can expand in markets without much retaliation amid a recovery (?)

Sorry, having trouble with link:
Yahoo - Alaska Airlines President Wants Competitors to Stop Dumping Cheap Seats


I think it’s very clear LCCs are chasing the long term gains from this crisis as the legacies hurt. AS and B6 especially, given all of their announced expansion, along with WN essentially running more flights than anybody else. We’ll see if any of that materializes in the long run.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5054
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:47 pm

gmcc wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Was thinking this with the potential Oneworld membership starting. Is there a plan for AS to brand and name their regional/affiliate flying done by QX and OO similar to Delta Connection, American Eagle, etc.?


AS does that already, all QX flight are branded Alaska Horizon and all OO flight have Alaska skywest.

I think his point is a delta e175 would never say Skywest or compass on the side.
 
gmcc
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:55 pm

32andBelow wrote:
gmcc wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Was thinking this with the potential Oneworld membership starting. Is there a plan for AS to brand and name their regional/affiliate flying done by QX and OO similar to Delta Connection, American Eagle, etc.?


AS does that already, all QX flight are branded Alaska Horizon and all OO flight have Alaska skywest.

I think his point is a delta e175 would never say Skywest or compass on the side.


True, but I kind of like knowing which regional I am flying on, other than by flight number. For most people out there they only see the Alaska portion of the titles anyway.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:55 am

gmcc wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
gmcc wrote:

AS does that already, all QX flight are branded Alaska Horizon and all OO flight have Alaska skywest.

I think his point is a delta e175 would never say Skywest or compass on the side.


True, but I kind of like knowing which regional I am flying on, other than by flight number. For most people out there they only see the Alaska portion of the titles anyway.


More along the lines of, “Alaska ‘Express’ operated by Horizon Air”.
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:57 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
gmcc wrote:
More along the lines of, “Alaska ‘Express’ operated by Horizon Air”.

Alaska has been trying to move Horizon into the state of Alaska for a while. It makes sense; Horizon flies better-sized aircraft. In the state, we ate very conscious of firms that provide lessor quality service to us (we routinely get national advertisements for products that don't ship to AK). I don't think a firm that uses our name serving us with an "express" or "connect" world play well.

Yes, it's just semantic. Yes, its silly. Yes, it matters.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5755
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:10 pm

jacobchoi wrote:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but what are the chances they could launch ANC-NRT


Its been mentioned many times on other threads. AS itself? Unlikely. Though when the recovery picks up we could see JL's low cost ZIP flying NRT-ANC 2-3x a week in peak AK tourist season. That's a LOT of ifs, ands and buts though.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream
 
jplatts
Posts: 3932
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:31 pm

jacobchoi wrote:
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but what are the chances they could launch ANC-NRT


ANC-NRT is probably within the range of the 737-800 as CM has operated 737-800's on its PTY-EZE nonstop route (3313 mi), which is almost as long as ANC-NRT (3433 mi).

AS adding ANC-NRT nonstop service would allow travel between Alaska and the Asia Pacific region without significant backtracking, and AS would also be able to offer connections onto JL, CX, and QF flights out of TYO from ANC if it adds ANC-NRT nonstop service.

While most of the contiguous U.S. destinations that have nonstop service to ANC on AS already have nonstop service to TYO on JL or AA, PHX currently has no nonstop service to TYO and DL is currently the only airline that has nonstop service to TYO from PDX.

It probably does not make sense for AS to connect passengers onto ANC-NRT nonstop flights from U.S. destinations that already have nonstop service to TYO on JL such as ORD, HNL, KOA, SFO, and SEA since
(a) AS can connect passengers onto JL's SEA-NRT flights from other contiguous U.S. cities,
(b) most of the passengers traveling to TYO from U.S. destinations that have nonstop service to TYO prefer the convenience of a nonstop flight over a connecting option,
(c) AS frequent flyer miles can be earned on JL flights, and
(d) AS can start selling JL nonstop flights between Japan and the U.S. through its alaskaair.com website.

AS can also likely fill ANC-NRT nonstop flights if there is enough demand for nonstop service to Asia from Alaska as there would be some passengers connecting to other destinations in Asia and Australia from Alaska through TYO if AS adds ANC-NRT nonstop service.
 
jacobchoi
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:32 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:04 am

ANC also has massive cargo demand AFAIK, and has seen charters from NH and JL. With AS' impeding entry into OneWorld, a 3-4 weekly service and daily during peak travel season does not seem implausible if timed correctly into the afternoon departure bank at NRT. There might be stronger headwinds across the Pacific being a limiting factor. Also, perhaps this would regain the title of being the longest flight without IFE. Perhaps they could fly to CTS instead. There're less connections to Asia, but more than enough to domestic Japan.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5054
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:09 am

jplatts wrote:
jacobchoi wrote:
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but what are the chances they could launch ANC-NRT


ANC-NRT is probably within the range of the 737-800 as CM has operated 737-800's on its PTY-EZE nonstop route (3313 mi), which is almost as long as ANC-NRT (3433 mi).

AS adding ANC-NRT nonstop service would allow travel between Alaska and the Asia Pacific region without significant backtracking, and AS would also be able to offer connections onto JL, CX, and QF flights out of TYO from ANC if it adds ANC-NRT nonstop service.

While most of the contiguous U.S. destinations that have nonstop service to ANC on AS already have nonstop service to TYO on JL or AA, PHX currently has no nonstop service to TYO and DL is currently the only airline that has nonstop service to TYO from PDX.

It probably does not make sense for AS to connect passengers onto ANC-NRT nonstop flights from U.S. destinations that already have nonstop service to TYO on JL such as ORD, HNL, KOA, SFO, and SEA since
(a) AS can connect passengers onto JL's SEA-NRT flights from other contiguous U.S. cities,
(b) most of the passengers traveling to TYO from U.S. destinations that have nonstop service to TYO prefer the convenience of a nonstop flight over a connecting option,
(c) AS frequent flyer miles can be earned on JL flights, and
(d) AS can start selling JL nonstop flights between Japan and the U.S. through its alaskaair.com website.

AS can also likely fill ANC-NRT nonstop flights if there is enough demand for nonstop service to Asia from Alaska as there would be some passengers connecting to other destinations in Asia and Australia from Alaska through TYO if AS adds ANC-NRT nonstop service.

ANC isn’t really out of the way at all so they absolutely could connect passengers from the L48. Delta could launch this with a 757 tho.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3932
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 pm

32andBelow wrote:
ANC isn’t really out of the way at all so they absolutely could connect passengers from the L48. Delta could launch this with a 757 tho.


I agree with your point with AS being able to connect passengers onto ANC-NRT from the lower 48 if AS adds ANC-NRT nonstop service, especially with ANC being located in between Tokyo and the contiguous U.S.

AS might also have lower costs operating ANC-NRT nonstop service on a 150-seat A320neo, 159-seat 737-800, 178-seat 737 MAX 9, or 190-seat A321neo than JL operating ANC-NRT nonstop service on a 199-seat 767-300ER.

DL has also already pulled out of NRT, and DL only serves ATL, DTW, HNL, LAX, MSP, PDX, and SEA nonstop from HND. DL also does not codeshare with any Japanese airlines, whereas AS would be able to offer connections onto JL flights to Japanese destinations out of NRT.
 
iAmAlaska49
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:06 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:33 am

jplatts wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
ANC isn’t really out of the way at all so they absolutely could connect passengers from the L48. Delta could launch this with a 757 tho.


I agree with your point with AS being able to connect passengers onto ANC-NRT from the lower 48 if AS adds ANC-NRT nonstop service, especially with ANC being located in between Tokyo and the contiguous U.S.

AS might also have lower costs operating ANC-NRT nonstop service on a 150-seat A320neo, 159-seat 737-800, 178-seat 737 MAX 9, or 190-seat A321neo than JL operating ANC-NRT nonstop service on a 199-seat 767-300ER.

DL has also already pulled out of NRT, and DL only serves ATL, DTW, HNL, LAX, MSP, PDX, and SEA nonstop from HND. DL also does not codeshare with any Japanese airlines, whereas AS would be able to offer connections onto JL flights to Japanese destinations out of NRT.


Not to mention all the other airlines that AS partners with that fly to NRT and with AS joining Oneworld, there will be plenty of options from there if they were to ever fly there someday.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8759
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:27 pm

jplatts wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
ANC isn’t really out of the way at all so they absolutely could connect passengers from the L48. Delta could launch this with a 757 tho.


I agree with your point with AS being able to connect passengers onto ANC-NRT from the lower 48 if AS adds ANC-NRT nonstop service, especially with ANC being located in between Tokyo and the contiguous U.S.

AS might also have lower costs operating ANC-NRT nonstop service on a 150-seat A320neo, 159-seat 737-800, 178-seat 737 MAX 9, or 190-seat A321neo than JL operating ANC-NRT nonstop service on a 199-seat 767-300ER.

DL has also already pulled out of NRT, and DL only serves ATL, DTW, HNL, LAX, MSP, PDX, and SEA nonstop from HND. DL also does not codeshare with any Japanese airlines, whereas AS would be able to offer connections onto JL flights to Japanese destinations out of NRT.


I don't know why you think there's big, unmet demand for 1-stop service to TYO. There are non-stops from major U.S. markets across UA/AA/DL/JL/NH. UA/JL/NH provide 1-stop services from lots of the U.S. to lots of Japan. AS would get creamed. There had better be more promising places to deploy assets.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3234
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:33 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
ANC isn’t really out of the way at all so they absolutely could connect passengers from the L48. Delta could launch this with a 757 tho.


I agree with your point with AS being able to connect passengers onto ANC-NRT from the lower 48 if AS adds ANC-NRT nonstop service, especially with ANC being located in between Tokyo and the contiguous U.S.

AS might also have lower costs operating ANC-NRT nonstop service on a 150-seat A320neo, 159-seat 737-800, 178-seat 737 MAX 9, or 190-seat A321neo than JL operating ANC-NRT nonstop service on a 199-seat 767-300ER.

DL has also already pulled out of NRT, and DL only serves ATL, DTW, HNL, LAX, MSP, PDX, and SEA nonstop from HND. DL also does not codeshare with any Japanese airlines, whereas AS would be able to offer connections onto JL flights to Japanese destinations out of NRT.


I don't know why you think there's big, unmet demand for 1-stop service to TYO. There are non-stops from major U.S. markets across UA/AA/DL/JL/NH. UA/JL/NH provide 1-stop services from lots of the U.S. to lots of Japan. AS would get creamed. There had better be more promising places to deploy assets.


Didn't JAL operate several charters to Anchorage in the past few years? There's gotta be some demand fueling that, on top of incentives.

If you're flying from Alaska to Japan, you'd have to backtrack to Seattle or Vancouver, which adds around 1,500 miles to the trip.

Instead, with an airline like Alaska flying ANC-NRT, you can gain onward connections with the JAL partnership and ANC can offer access to the smaller destinations in Alaska, or it can be used to connect onto destinations like Phoenix, Portland, and more.
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Ishrion wrote:

If you're flying from Alaska to Japan, you'd have to backtrack to Seattle or Vancouver, which adds around 1,500 miles to the trip.

Instead, with an airline like Alaska flying ANC-NRT, you can gain onward connections with the JAL partnership and ANC can offer access to the smaller destinations in Alaska, or it can be used to connect onto destinations like Phoenix, Portland, and more.


This is true of anywhere in Asia. Anchorage has 2 of the top ten most diverse zip codes in the United States. We have large Russian, Korean, Samoan in and Philippino populations. Anchorage is much more cosmopolitan then people assume, but it's also still only around 400k people inclusive of the surrounding area.

ANC would suck as a transfer airport. While there is now a path between domestic and international terminals, it's not something that will get much repeat passengers without a few million dollars put into improving the passenger experience on the ground.

Backtracking to SEA is a pain, but I don't see us as having the population to support regular service, and I doubt connecting service world work outside of the 730k people in Alaska minus the folk in Southeast who will still go to SEA. I would *love* to be proven wrong.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5054
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:01 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

If you're flying from Alaska to Japan, you'd have to backtrack to Seattle or Vancouver, which adds around 1,500 miles to the trip.

Instead, with an airline like Alaska flying ANC-NRT, you can gain onward connections with the JAL partnership and ANC can offer access to the smaller destinations in Alaska, or it can be used to connect onto destinations like Phoenix, Portland, and more.


This is true of anywhere in Asia. Anchorage has 2 of the top ten most diverse zip codes in the United States. We have large Russian, Korean, Samoan in and Philippino populations. Anchorage is much more cosmopolitan then people assume, but it's also still only around 400k people inclusive of the surrounding area.

ANC would suck as a transfer airport. While there is now a path between domestic and international terminals, it's not something that will get much repeat passengers without a few million dollars put into improving the passenger experience on the ground.

Backtracking to SEA is a pain, but I don't see us as having the population to support regular service, and I doubt connecting service world work outside of the 730k people in Alaska minus the folk in Southeast who will still go to SEA. I would *love* to be proven wrong.
theres a lot of tourism from Asia to Alaska as well. It might be better operated by an Asian carrier tbh
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:35 pm

32andBelow wrote:
theres a lot of tourism from Asia to Alaska as well. It might be better operated by an Asian carrier tbh


I have in my library a McDowell study of Alaskan tourism from 2016 which puts annual Asian tourism at 23k visitors and Australian/New Zealand tourism at 61k. Only around 6% of the Aussies flew (most came by cruise), and around 50% of the Asians flew.

We're only talking about around 15k tourists a year.
 
User avatar
BA744PHX
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:46 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
theres a lot of tourism from Asia to Alaska as well. It might be better operated by an Asian carrier tbh


I have in my library a McDowell study of Alaskan tourism from 2016 which puts annual Asian tourism at 23k visitors and Australian/New Zealand tourism at 61k. Only around 6% of the Aussies flew (most came by cruise), and around 50% of the Asians flew.

We're only talking about around 15k tourists a year.


Which is only 41 people on average daily for Asia and 63 daily for AU/NZ
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3234
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
theres a lot of tourism from Asia to Alaska as well. It might be better operated by an Asian carrier tbh


I have in my library a McDowell study of Alaskan tourism from 2016 which puts annual Asian tourism at 23k visitors and Australian/New Zealand tourism at 61k. Only around 6% of the Aussies flew (most came by cruise), and around 50% of the Asians flew.

We're only talking about around 15k tourists a year.


Which is only 41 people on average daily for Asia and 63 daily for AU/NZ


While that's the average, wouldn't it be more concentrated in the northern summer months when the peak season usually takes place?
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5488
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:40 am

As a part of AS's new policy of seldom announcing new flights -- except at LAX -- I just discovered another new route for SAN beginning November 20: SBA. The new market was apparently in their Sat night load and I discovered it be randomly searching thru AS's online Flight Schedules. Here's the schedule:

Depart SAN: 3:05pm - Arrive SBA: 4:05pm #2186 Daily QX EMJ
Depart SBA: 4:45pm - Arrive SAN: 5:40pm #2187

This is a route I've been expecting as AS continues to grow their Intra-CA markets from SAN. Once AS announced SAN-SBP earlier this year, I figured SBA wasn't too far behind.

Back in the old days, I spent many hours in the car driving between San Diego and Santa Barbara, when it was about right around 4 hours each way and before Hwy 101 was even a true freeway for part of the way -- including through the city of SBA! Nowadays, well, I think a 1-hour nonstop will attract plenty of travelers!

Nice add Alaska!

p.s. I'm going to continue to search as there may be more new flights that will not be announced.

bb
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:51 pm

SANFan wrote:
As a part of AS's new policy of seldom announcing new flights -- except at LAX -- I just discovered another new route for SAN beginning November 20: SBA. The new market was apparently in their Sat night load and I discovered it be randomly searching thru AS's online Flight Schedules. Here's the schedule:

Depart SAN: 3:05pm - Arrive SBA: 4:05pm #2186 Daily QX EMJ
Depart SBA: 4:45pm - Arrive SAN: 5:40pm #2187

This is a route I've been expecting as AS continues to grow their Intra-CA markets from SAN. Once AS announced SAN-SBP earlier this year, I figured SBA wasn't too far behind.

Back in the old days, I spent many hours in the car driving between San Diego and Santa Barbara, when it was about right around 4 hours each way and before Hwy 101 was even a true freeway for part of the way -- including through the city of SBA! Nowadays, well, I think a 1-hour nonstop will attract plenty of travelers!

Nice add Alaska!

p.s. I'm going to continue to search as there may be more new flights that will not be announced.

bb


Seems like a route that would do much better with an early morning departure from SBA with a late arrival coming back, to capture the business traffic and get connections going both ways, but it seems like all these adds lately have been daytime turns. I guess they’ll pick up the weekenders going back and forth, but without students, I feel like that’s a lot of the demand.
 
midexjet
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2000 11:18 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:38 pm

Alaska returned mainline service to Milwaukee on Saturday, 01 August with the arrival of AS618. For the past several months, the flight as been covered by a Skywest E-175, first on a same day turn, then almost immediately, the schedule was changed to allow the E-175 to overnight at the Skywest hangar in Milwaukee. On 31 July, the inbound E-175 turned back to Seattle under the same flight number as the inbound, AS3360. I am going to presume the conversion back to mainline was to allow the Skywest E-175's to be freed up to allow the restart of service at PAE on 1 August?
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2088
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:04 pm

With the ongoing battle with WN regardless of the pandemic does anyone think AS might entertain returning to LGB?
With the upcoming slot lottery they have the opportunity to gain up to 9 Slots.
With 9 slots AS could try something like.
5 SFO, 2 PDX and 2 SEA.
Or
4 SFO,2 SEA ,1 PDX, 1 HNL, 1 split OGG(4)/KOA(3).
AS has had a long history even before it Bought my "Family's airline Jet America" in LGB.
As a kid I used to love watch The SeaHawk 727 takeoff and Land.
I miss the whine of that jet taxing to that end of 30/12.

I know I know the haters of LGB will quickly bash this post.
And trust me We get it You Hate LGB,WN and LGB screwing B6.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:19 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
With the ongoing battle with WN regardless of the pandemic does anyone think AS might entertain returning to LGB?
With the upcoming slot lottery they have the opportunity to gain up to 9 Slots.
With 9 slots AS could try something like.
5 SFO, 2 PDX and 2 SEA.
Or
4 SFO,2 SEA ,1 PDX, 1 HNL, 1 split OGG(4)/KOA(3).
AS has had a long history even before it Bought my "Family's airline Jet America" in LGB.
As a kid I used to love watch The SeaHawk 727 takeoff and Land.
I miss the whine of that jet taxing to that end of 30/12.

I know I know the haters of LGB will quickly bash this post.
And trust me We get it You Hate LGB,WN and LGB screwing B6.

Flyguy

Given there recent history there, 9 slots is unlikely. I would think they could support a SEA flight or two, and maybe a PDX though.
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:22 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
Alaska recently went on record stating that its competitors are dumping capacity and lowering fares, but then go on to announce new service in San Jose, CA. Can't those San Jose passengers get where they need to go on competing connecting networks without adding capacity then, or does Alaska need to operate in a vacuum so that they can expand in markets without much retaliation amid a recovery (?)

Sorry, having trouble with link:
Yahoo - Alaska Airlines President Wants Competitors to Stop Dumping Cheap Seats


I think it’s very clear LCCs are chasing the long term gains from this crisis as the legacies hurt. AS and B6 especially, given all of their announced expansion, along with WN essentially running more flights than anybody else. We’ll see if any of that materializes in the long run.

This is confusing, because AS is a legacy and B6 is not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_ ... that%20Act.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2088
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
With the ongoing battle with WN regardless of the pandemic does anyone think AS might entertain returning to LGB?
With the upcoming slot lottery they have the opportunity to gain up to 9 Slots.
With 9 slots AS could try something like.
5 SFO, 2 PDX and 2 SEA.
Or
4 SFO,2 SEA ,1 PDX, 1 HNL, 1 split OGG(4)/KOA(3).
AS has had a long history even before it Bought my "Family's airline Jet America" in LGB.
As a kid I used to love watch The SeaHawk 727 takeoff and Land.
I miss the whine of that jet taxing to that end of 30/12.

I know I know the haters of LGB will quickly bash this post.
And trust me We get it You Hate LGB,WN and LGB screwing B6.

Flyguy

Given there recent history there, 9 slots is unlikely. I would think they could support a SEA flight or two, and maybe a PDX though.


The old AS yes I could see only a few flights.
But now AS with its Hybrid Horizon/Skywest E175 now has a more cost effective aircraft for the market.

As for the Hawaii flights from LGB AS has a huge loyal frequent flyer base in Orange Country.
They also have a great successful track record of offering alternate cities flying to Hawaii.
The high end crowds from Orange Country would definitely enjoy AS first class service to Hawaii without the hassle of LAX.
JetBlue departure from brings a opportunity to add more than one or two flights.
It also stops WN from adding additional seats in the California market.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
CobaltScar
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
With the ongoing battle with WN regardless of the pandemic does anyone think AS might entertain returning to LGB?


Why? LGB yields are trash and their customers can get to SEA via the other nearby airports.

If a few choice routes were actually worth it, B6 would of kept them as a token presence.
 
gmcc
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
With the ongoing battle with WN regardless of the pandemic does anyone think AS might entertain returning to LGB?
With the upcoming slot lottery they have the opportunity to gain up to 9 Slots.
With 9 slots AS could try something like.
5 SFO, 2 PDX and 2 SEA.
Or
4 SFO,2 SEA ,1 PDX, 1 HNL, 1 split OGG(4)/KOA(3).
AS has had a long history even before it Bought my "Family's airline Jet America" in LGB.
As a kid I used to love watch The SeaHawk 727 takeoff and Land.
I miss the whine of that jet taxing to that end of 30/12.

I know I know the haters of LGB will quickly bash this post.
And trust me We get it You Hate LGB,WN and LGB screwing B6.

Flyguy

Given there recent history there, 9 slots is unlikely. I would think they could support a SEA flight or two, and maybe a PDX though.


The old AS yes I could see only a few flights.
But now AS with its Hybrid Horizon/Skywest E175 now has a more cost effective aircraft for the market.

As for the Hawaii flights from LGB AS has a huge loyal frequent flyer base in Orange Country.
They also have a great successful track record of offering alternate cities flying to Hawaii.
The high end crowds from Orange Country would definitely enjoy AS first class service to Hawaii without the hassle of LAX.
JetBlue departure from brings a opportunity to add more than one or two flights.
It also stops WN from adding additional seats in the California market.
Flyguy

Just can't see AS coming back to LGB. It is stuck between LAX and SNA. Only way might be if LGB would classify the 175 for the commuter slots. However, even if they did that with all the 'hidden' new 175 routes SANFan keeps finding I don't see them having enough to start anything new at LGB.
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:25 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
With the ongoing battle with WN regardless of the pandemic does anyone think AS might entertain returning to LGB?


Why? LGB yields are trash and their customers can get to SEA via the other nearby airports.

If a few choice routes were actually worth it, B6 would of kept them as a token presence.

I don't think a return to LGB is very likely either, but AS would have a big advantage on any of the choice routes that aren't transcons.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5333
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:29 pm

SANFan wrote:
As a part of AS's new policy of seldom announcing new flights -- except at LAX -- I just discovered another new route for SAN beginning November 20: SBA. The new market was apparently in their Sat night load and I discovered it be randomly searching thru AS's online Flight Schedules. Here's the schedule:

Depart SAN: 3:05pm - Arrive SBA: 4:05pm #2186 Daily QX EMJ
Depart SBA: 4:45pm - Arrive SAN: 5:40pm #2187

This is a route I've been expecting as AS continues to grow their Intra-CA markets from SAN. Once AS announced SAN-SBP earlier this year, I figured SBA wasn't too far behind.

Back in the old days, I spent many hours in the car driving between San Diego and Santa Barbara, when it was about right around 4 hours each way and before Hwy 101 was even a true freeway for part of the way -- including through the city of SBA! Nowadays, well, I think a 1-hour nonstop will attract plenty of travelers!

Nice add Alaska!

p.s. I'm going to continue to search as there may be more new flights that will not be announced.

bb


I was kind of hoping AS would keep their SBA-STS tag because I thought it was pretty unique. But it looks like it's history next month.
 
Tack
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:19 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
With the ongoing battle with WN regardless of the pandemic does anyone think AS might entertain returning to LGB?
With the upcoming slot lottery they have the opportunity to gain up to 9 Slots.
With 9 slots AS could try something like.
5 SFO, 2 PDX and 2 SEA.
Or
4 SFO,2 SEA ,1 PDX, 1 HNL, 1 split OGG(4)/KOA(3).
AS has had a long history even before it Bought my "Family's airline Jet America" in LGB.
As a kid I used to love watch The SeaHawk 727 takeoff and Land.
I miss the whine of that jet taxing to that end of 30/12.

I know I know the haters of LGB will quickly bash this post.
And trust me We get it You Hate LGB,WN and LGB screwing B6.

Flyguy


AS addressed this in a internal communication last week. A return to LGB isn’t on the radar. They stated yields are still crap there, even as B6 exits. There’s been a ton of speculation here that the E-175 changes that, but LGB was never a high yield city for AS. I was hired for LGB back in ‘82. Of the 3 flight a day then, two were shared with ONT. I was back at LGB in ‘90 after the Jet A merger and even though we jammed a ton of flights there, admittedly on a poorly sized jet, (MD’s) yields blew. Things change, but based on last weeks statement, I’d say no way they apply for anything this round at LGB.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5333
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:59 am

It seems AS has been concentrating its CA energy linking SEA/PDX and some larger CA cities with smaller cities like FAT, SBP and SBA. I wonder if we'll see AS adding more to MRY and STS...or maybe add more destinations like SMX or SCK. The E-175's have been working well with AS.
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:36 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
The E-175's have been working well with AS.

Is there any publicly available information that indicates how seriously AS/QX looked at the Q-400 Combi?
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5333
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:19 am

NameOmitted wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
The E-175's have been working well with AS.

Is there any publicly available information that indicates how seriously AS/QX looked at the Q-400 Combi?


Never heard of such a thing. Someone more knowledgeable might know.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5333
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:21 am

I am hoping AS brings back mainline on some of the routes they had planned or briefly flew like SEA-FAT, SEA-BZN, SEA-MSO, etc.
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:29 am

NameOmitted wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
The E-175's have been working well with AS.

Is there any publicly available information that indicates how seriously AS/QX looked at the Q-400 Combi?


How does the E175 working well for AS have anything to do with the Q400 Combi?
 
Sancho99504
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:44 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:09 am

midexjet wrote:
Alaska returned mainline service to Milwaukee on Saturday, 01 August with the arrival of AS618. For the past several months, the flight as been covered by a Skywest E-175, first on a same day turn, then almost immediately, the schedule was changed to allow the E-175 to overnight at the Skywest hangar in Milwaukee. On 31 July, the inbound E-175 turned back to Seattle under the same flight number as the inbound, AS3360. I am going to presume the conversion back to mainline was to allow the Skywest E-175's to be freed up to allow the restart of service at PAE on 1 August?

Back in June, the SEA-OKC did the same. Went from a 0835 SEA departure with a 1445 same day return to a 1445 SEA departure, RON and a 1200 next day return. It's on QX metal, not sure why the RON other than lack of crew as OKC is an OO CRJ MX base. It's switched back to a turn 01 August.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC
 
TYWoolman
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
Alaska recently went on record stating that its competitors are dumping capacity and lowering fares, but then go on to announce new service in San Jose, CA. Can't those San Jose passengers get where they need to go on competing connecting networks without adding capacity then, or does Alaska need to operate in a vacuum so that they can expand in markets without much retaliation amid a recovery (?)

Sorry, having trouble with link:
Yahoo - Alaska Airlines President Wants Competitors to Stop Dumping Cheap Seats


I think it’s very clear LCCs are chasing the long term gains from this crisis as the legacies hurt. AS and B6 especially, given all of their announced expansion, along with WN essentially running more flights than anybody else. We’ll see if any of that materializes in the long run.

This is confusing, because AS is a legacy and B6 is not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_ ... that%20Act.


Poster probably meant legacy trunk/major carriers. As of late AS is opportunistically expanding in a way normally associated with LCCs, thus the confusion perhaps when discussing.
 
TYWoolman
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
Alaska recently went on record stating that its competitors are dumping capacity and lowering fares, but then go on to announce new service in San Jose, CA. Can't those San Jose passengers get where they need to go on competing connecting networks without adding capacity then, or does Alaska need to operate in a vacuum so that they can expand in markets without much retaliation amid a recovery (?)

Sorry, having trouble with link:
Yahoo - Alaska Airlines President Wants Competitors to Stop Dumping Cheap Seats


I think it’s very clear LCCs are chasing the long term gains from this crisis as the legacies hurt. AS and B6 especially, given all of their announced expansion, along with WN essentially running more flights than anybody else. We’ll see if any of that materializes in the long run.

This is confusing, because AS is a legacy and B6 is not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_ ... that%20Act.


Poster probably meant legacy trunk/major carriers. As of late AS is opportunistically expanding in a way normally associated with LCCs, thus the confusion perhaps when discussing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos