Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aisak

Re: Alaska restarting LAX to SLC

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:42 pm

After therm merger with Virgin America, and given their route map is heavily based on West Coast / Pacific states... Is the Alaska brand THAT strong that people think of them for a flight such as LAX-SLC (meaning so not-Alaska related)?

DLASFlyer

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Aisak wrote:
After therm merger with Virgin America, and given their route map is heavily based on West Coast / Pacific states... Is the Alaska brand THAT strong that people think of them for a flight such as LAX-SLC (meaning so not-Alaska related)?

I would guess low single digits of Alaska’s ASMs have anything to do with the State of Alaska. And besides, people don’t need to think of them. Most folks book the lowest-priced ticket via an OTA.

MIflyer12

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:30 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
Aisak wrote:

I would guess low single digits of Alaska’s ASMs have anything to do with the State of Alaska. And besides, people don’t need to think of them. Most folks book the lowest-priced ticket via an OTA.

Hmm, a lot of domestic personal travel is booked directly with carriers, not an OTA. People need to know to look for Alaska Airlines. WN makes it work but they are the significant domestic exception. (Yes, I'm ready to dismiss Allegiant as not significant here.)

tphuang

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:57 pm

Keep in mind that as and as are partners now. A lot of people who booked on aa flights before will now end up booking on as via codeshare. That will help a lot of these new flights out of lax.

If you look at their cali route performances, they have mostly been pretty weak outside of stuff to pnw. But again, the pandemic and aa partnership is a great time for as to add ff in Cali.

Jet-lagged

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Tailwinds wrote:
jplatts wrote:
ANC-NRT is probably within the range of the 737-800 as CM has operated 737-800's on its PTY-EZE nonstop route (3313 mi), which is almost as long as ANC-NRT (3433 mi).

ANC-NRT is 600 miles farther than the farthest flight currently operated by AS, ANC-ORD. It'd be within the range of their 321 NEOs or, when delivered, the 9 Max. Seoul is just in range, too.

Maybe a Summer seasonal route for tourists a few years down the road. They could get feed from OW partner JAL, and are already Mileage Plan partners with Korean.

Aliqiout

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:01 pm

Aisak wrote:

AS has been flying from LAX to non PNW destinations since at least 1988.

NameOmitted

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Aisak wrote:
Is the Alaska brand THAT strong that people think of them for a flight such as LAX-SLC (meaning so not-Alaska related)?

People world fly from Minot, ND to Topeka KS on Alaska if Priceline told them it was their cheapest option. When is the last time you saw any domestic advertising for an airline that flew aircraft larger then a Twin Otter?

32andBelow

Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:16 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
Aisak wrote:
Is the Alaska brand THAT strong that people think of them for a flight such as LAX-SLC (meaning so not-Alaska related)?

People world fly from Minot, ND to Topeka KS on Alaska if Priceline told them it was their cheapest option. When is the last time you saw any domestic advertising for an airline that flew aircraft larger then a Twin Otter?

I see delta ads all the time. Or I did before covid

USAirALB

Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:30 pm

The AS brand is extremely strong in Southern California. Keep in mind that for years they were the only carrier flying LAX-DCA nonstop, as well as several LAX-Mexican resort destinations nonstop, and for a while became the second carrier to fly LAX-YYZ after AC (since been dropped).

Where the AS brand struggles is on the East Coast. I think their brand is strongest in the Baltimore-Washington area due to their historic presence in the region (DCA was their first East coast destination IIRC), and even today they have more flights from SEA to WAS than any other East Coast destination. They retrenched a bit in the market, having dropped BWI-LAX/SFO/SAN/PDX but are still strong IMO. Outside of WAS, NYC, and BOS, I would say their recognition isn't that great.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

SANFan

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:01 pm

It's Saturday so tonight I'll be searching the AS Flight Schedules to see if anything new -- without benefit of being announced -- shows up as a result of their weekend load. This has become a fairly common occurrence lately and I've had pretty good luck.

One thing I'll be looking for specifically is SAN-LAX since I really expect that might be added by AS sooner rather than later. And if I miss something it will probably show up in Enilria's OAG thread on Tuesday morning. (I've already penciled out my ideas for service in this market so it'll be fun to see if I even come close.)

Gotta have something fun to do while waiting for the world to return to some semblance of 'normal'! I'm glad that AAG is obliging me by continuing to add routes all over their route map, rarely announcing any of them, and during a time when such actions are still surprising. (Understandable but still surprising.)

Let's go Alaska, I'm ready!

bb

hiflyeras

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:14 pm

SANFan wrote:
It's Saturday so tonight I'll be searching the AS Flight Schedules to see if anything new -- without benefit of being announced -- shows up as a result of their weekend load. This has become a fairly common occurrence lately and I've had pretty good luck.

One thing I'll be looking for specifically is SAN-LAX since I really expect that might be added by AS sooner rather than later. And if I miss something it will probably show up in Enilria's OAG thread on Tuesday morning. (I've already penciled out my ideas for service in this market so it'll be fun to see if I even come close.)

Gotta have something fun to do while waiting for the world to return to some semblance of 'normal'! I'm glad that AAG is obliging me by continuing to add routes all over their route map, rarely announcing any of them, and during a time when such actions are still surprising. (Understandable but still surprising.)

Let's go Alaska, I'm ready!

bb

Bb, if you see new adds (or subtracts) for the 4th quarter let us know! Some people are super anxious about the block hours later this year.

HNLSLCPDX

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:47 pm

32andBelow wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
Aisak wrote:

I see delta ads all the time. Or I did before covid

I think AS has decent name recognition in SLC.

KLMatSJC

Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:30 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
When is the last time you saw any domestic advertising for an airline that flew aircraft larger then a Twin Otter?

I hear "Rhapsody in Blue" very often on TV.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

gmcc

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:58 pm

QX proving/training flights have started in Alaska

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QXE ... /PAKT/PACV

Might add it is probably for the ground crews as well since this will probably be a new aircraft for them. Not in the larger city but definitely in some of the smaller towns.

hohd

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:41 pm

There are at least 2 carriers too many on this route. While there are strong ties between SLC-So Cal, many family trips and even some business trips (especially if going to Ontario side) are done by road (9 hr drive). With the business travel expected to go down permanently, this route will not sustain this many carriers.

32andBelow

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 am

gmcc wrote:

Might add it is probably for the ground crews as well since this will probably be a new aircraft for them. Not in the larger city but definitely in some of the smaller towns.

They appear to be doing validation flights all over southeast. Yet no southeast routes have been announced.

jbs2886

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:21 am

32andBelow wrote:
gmcc wrote:

They appear to be doing validation flights all over southeast. Yet no southeast routes have been announced.

Any more details on this? Any particular city(ies)? That would be a huge strategic move for Alaska.

gmcc

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:30 am

32andBelow wrote:
gmcc wrote:

Probably won't do that initially so as to not annoy the AS pilot union but it is always good to have that option if they need it and you may as well get it done in one pass. It gives AS a good idea where the 175 will work and what challenges exist. I mean things might not work out in practice that on paper should work. Who knows AS might decide to open up some direct non milk run routes from SEA to some of southeast AS. Also good to have as many alternate airports between SEA and ANC just in case you need to use them

32andBelow

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:00 am

gmcc wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
gmcc wrote:

Probably won't do that initially so as to not annoy the AS pilot union but it is always good to have that option if they need it and you may as well get it done in one pass. It gives AS a good idea where the 175 will work and what challenges exist. I mean things might not work out in practice that on paper should work. Who knows AS might decide to open up some direct non milk run routes from SEA to some of southeast AS. Also good to have as many alternate airports between SEA and ANC just in case you need to use them

I can see ANCDVANC going to e175 immediately. And removed from the milk run. SEAKTNSEA makes sense too. They wouldn’t be validating all these approaches if they weren’t planning on using them.

gmcc

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:36 am

32andBelow wrote:
gmcc wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

I can see ANCDVANC going to e175 immediately. And removed from the milk run. SEAKTNSEA makes sense too. They wouldn’t be validating all these approaches if they weren’t planning on using them.

I don't think they will complete ditch the milk runs as I think AS still will have more than enough cargo to fill a 737 belly but I think they might use the 175s as a supplement to a reduced frequency milk run.

usxguy

Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:13 am

both milkruns are also EAS subsidized. So any requests to downgauge or change would have to be made in the docket.
xx

32andBelow

Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:05 am

usxguy wrote:
both milkruns are also EAS subsidized. So any requests to downgauge or change would have to be made in the docket.

That’s easy enough. It’s not like the communities are going to ask for a different carrier. And dot is being pretty lenient during covid

Chugach

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:14 pm

32andBelow wrote:
gmcc wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

I don’t disagree about KTN or CDV, but I bet these are for diversions on SEA-ANC as much as anything else. All of the cities they’ve sent the plane to test approaches (KTN,SIT,YAK,CDV) are diversion points on a SEA/PDX-ANC run.

Kind of interesting they haven’t yet sent it to FAI, AKN, or DLG which are the actual announced cities for the E175 (although they haven’t loaded any FAI flights yet, just AKN/DLG).

NameOmitted

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm

What actually needs to be proven for a diversion run?

d8s

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:36 pm

usxguy wrote:

I see AS has 13 flights a day between SEA and ANC that run nearlly on the hour in the AM and PM. You throw in the DL flights and there are 18+ total. Is there that big a draw or is this mostly cargo? TIA

NameOmitted

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm

d8s wrote:
usxguy wrote:

I see AS has 13 flights a day between SEA and ANC that run nearlly on the hour in the AM and PM. You throw in the DL flights and there are 18+ total. Is there that big a draw or is this mostly cargo? TIA

They've been pretty full aircraft when I've flown in them. Keep in mind that most of the flying in and out of the state goes through SEA.

roadrunner165

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:08 pm

d8s wrote:
usxguy wrote:

Tourism during the summer is huge. But there is a fair amount of USPS mail and other cargo too. During a normal summer, Alaska Airlines has 20+ flights a day all on their own! To put ANC in perspective, they had nearly 5.7 million passengers served in 2019... in a State with a total population of 730,000.

Chugach

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:19 pm

d8s wrote:
usxguy wrote:

There is that big of a draw. 13 flights is low for AS...in a normal summer that number would be about 19 for AS and 5-6 for DL.

SEA is the top destination from ANC, and ANC is the #3 destination from SEA, behind only LAX and SFO.

Chugach

Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:19 pm

usxguy

Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Chugach wrote:
d8s wrote:
usxguy wrote:

There is that big of a draw. 13 flights is low for AS...in a normal summer that number would be about 19 for AS and 5-6 for DL.

SEA is the top destination from ANC, and ANC is the #3 destination from SEA, behind only LAX and SFO.

Loads on the north milkrun (yakutat/cordova) are very light in the cabin, but the pits are normally bulked out.

Loads on the Southeast milkrun (Petersburg/Wrangell) are quite heavy, both above AND below.

Now what's interesting is Alaska is now running a 737-900 on JNU/SIT/SEA. I thought the 900 couldn't fly into SIT?
xx

Chugach

Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:08 pm

usxguy wrote:
Chugach wrote:
d8s wrote:

Loads on the north milkrun (yakutat/cordova) are very light in the cabin, but the pits are normally bulked out.

Loads on the Southeast milkrun (Petersburg/Wrangell) are quite heavy, both above AND below.

Now what's interesting is Alaska is now running a 737-900 on JNU/SIT/SEA. I thought the 900 couldn't fly into SIT?

Pretty sure the -900 takes a penalty at SIT due to the short runway.

Varsity1

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:51 pm

It's not that short. 7,200ft at sea level and cold climate. The -900 will take a full boat to SEA without issues.

It's not as anemic of an airplane as A.net makes it out to be.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Chugach

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
It's not that short. 7,200ft at sea level and cold climate. The -900 will take a full boat to SEA without issues.

When did they lengthen it? Used to be 6,500 feet. I’d heard from some folks at AS who said the -900 had issues at SIT due to runway length.

NameOmitted

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Chugach wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

When did they lengthen it? Used to be 6,500 feet. I’d heard from some folks at AS who said the -900 had issues at SIT due to runway length.

Perhaps five years ago? It was pretty incredible to watch truckload after truckload dumped into 9 fathoms of water.

It was paid for with aviation safety funds to provide a diversion airport for larger aircraft with generally suitable (for Southeast) weather.

Tailwinds

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:40 am

gmcc wrote:

They're en-route diversion airports for the 175s doing SEA-ANC/FAI. Alaska runs custom RNP approaches everywhere in Southeast and this is the process by which the QX planes and pilots get certified to fly those approaches. It certainly opens up the possibility of that airplane serving SEAK in the future, but it seems unlikely for now. As others have pointed out, mainline airplanes are needed for cargo volume and are just as often full enough of passengers.

gmcc

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:19 pm

Bit of a departure from normal network operations as AS951 GEG-SEA Today was operated by a 700. I didn't think the 700s got out of Alaska very much. Most of those flight I have been on are either QX or a 900. IMO not a great flight for a 900, takes almost as long to board/disembark the plane as the actual flight.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA951

KFTG

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:24 pm

The -700 has even been used on TPA recently.

LAXBUR

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:57 pm

gmcc wrote:
Bit of a departure from normal network operations as AS951 GEG-SEA Today was operated by a 700. I didn't think the 700s got out of Alaska very much. Most of those flight I have been on are either QX or a 900. IMO not a great flight for a 900, takes almost as long to board/disembark the plane as the actual flight.

I’ve seen the 73G to both GEG and BOI. Easy quick turns on routes that don’t need 739s with all the frequencies.

gmcc

Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:41 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
gmcc wrote:

I’ve seen the 73G to both GEG and BOI. Easy quick turns on routes that don’t need 739s with all the frequencies.

I stand corrected. Wish there were more of them because I am still not a fan of the 739 on that route, would rather take a Q, but connectors in SEA can't always be chosiers.

452QX

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:20 am

There are a number of routes that the 700 would be a good fit on, but their small fleet size in comparison to the 800/900s keeps them on routes where they’re needed most i.e. state of Alaska & milk runs

wedgetail737

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:57 am

The -700's were a regular visitor to OAK from SEA. My last flight to OAK, right before the pandemic was on a 737-700...the Portland Timbers jet.

Some -700's have been retired and are flying for other airlines. Some are dedicated freighters. There are not too many pax -700's left in Alaska's fleet, and yes, most fly in Alaska or to Alaska.

gmcc

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 am

Since it seem as though there are several route that could use a 700 size aircraft( 124 seats), what do you think the odds are of us seeing an E195-E2 (120 seats) in AS colors in the future. If they did, I would suspect management would need to bring it in on the AS side not the QX side to placate the AS pilot group.

n7371f

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:09 am

Brad & Ben can do whatever the F they want as pilots gave them carte blanch regarding outsourcing.

gmcc wrote:
Since it seem as though there are several route that could use a 700 size aircraft( 124 seats), what do you think the odds are of us seeing an E195-E2 (120 seats) in AS colors in the future. If they did, I would suspect management would need to bring it in on the AS side not the QX side to placate the AS pilot group.

n7371f

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:10 am

-700 flew MCO-PDX back in mid-2000's under the first, failed, attempt at that route.

KFTG wrote:
The -700 has even been used on TPA recently.

NameOmitted

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:18 am

gmcc wrote:

Chances are probably significantly less then they were before the Boeing JV fell through.

AS is a pretty conservative company. We don't get mid-cabin lavatories because they hurt resale value for the aircraft. It would take a hell of a deal for them to take what would likely become a bit of an orphan fleet.

itripreport

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Man I remember prior to covid the 700 would always do a daily SEA-OAK-SEA turn. It was actually the second to last flight I ever took prior to stay at home orders, with my last flight being on no other than a Virgin America Cabin... so at least it was a good way to out.

EA CO AS

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Stay tuned for news today. Nothing huge, but good news nonetheless.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jplatts

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:13 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

Is today's upcoming announcement about AS adding SEA-CLE, SEA-BDL, SEA-JAX, and/or SEA-ORF nonstop service?

EA CO AS

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24 pm

jplatts wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Is today's upcoming announcement about AS adding SEA-CLE, SEA-BDL, SEA-JAX, and/or SEA-ORF nonstop service?

No.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Ishrion

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos