Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

durangomac

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2020

Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:51 am

NameOmitted wrote:
Can the E175 match the 737 for foul weather takeoff and landing?

I don't much care what they put me in, as long as it maintains a schedule through November weather.

Yes, they recently finished the certification/proving runs in the state of Alaska using the same approaches that the 737's use and they can be certified to the same level.

tiptoe42

Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:36 am

EA CO AS wrote:
tiptoe42 wrote:
So your fine with Alaska and Horizon parking airplanes and laying off employees while flying is outsourced to Skywest?

I don't want to see a single AAG employee furloughed, but adding flying on OO metal that would perhaps not have happened otherwise keeps CSAs employed, Res agents employed, and so on.

So the question becomes, you're fine with seeing some AAG employees furloughed because flying needs to be mainline or not at all?

I have already stated that I believe all AAG flying should be flown by mainline, using whatever airplane is appropriate, be it a q400, embraer, boeing, or even god forbid an airbus. I’ve also stated that that will never happen, however I do believe if Alaska is going to use a regional airline it should be done by Horizon since they are wholly owned and are AAG employees. Respectfully, I believe that if Skywest was not in the AAG mix, more AAG employees would be keeping their jobs.

EA CO AS

Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:44 am

tiptoe42 wrote:
I have already stated that I believe all AAG flying should be flown by mainline, using whatever airplane is appropriate, be it a q400, embraer, boeing, or even god forbid an airbus.

Even if those mainline AS pilots were earning QX/OO rates to fly the Q400 or E175?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

tiptoe42

Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:23 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
tiptoe42 wrote:
I have already stated that I believe all AAG flying should be flown by mainline, using whatever airplane is appropriate, be it a q400, embraer, boeing, or even god forbid an airbus.

Even if those mainline AS pilots were earning QX/OO rates to fly the Q400 or E175?

That’s the price that would likely have to be paid to do it. Better rates and benefits can be negotiated over time but not if the planes are in someone else’s property.
The pilots failure to negotiate any type of scope is going to really hurt them in the not to distant future I believe.

wedgetail737

Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:46 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
The only huge oversight on the e175s was no seat power. Kinda unacceptable imo.

They have power in F. I’m a 75K and I love the E175’s. The upgrade ratio is much better than the 737’s and the service is pretty much the same. I’ve flown them in F on PDX-ORD and DAL-SEA and thought they were great flights.

Not having it in coach is a fail. It’s so engrained in their 737 product and I expect it now.

I tend to agree here...another one of those management decisions that socks the customer in the face. It was the same dumb decision not to put window shades on the Q400's...to save weight. But AS has made other improvements...I like their new first class seat with the footrests. That should have been done a long time ago.

lightsaber

Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:03 pm

This is the Alaska airlines network thread. Please keep discussion on topic. That means taking Scope topics to another thread. This is your warning.
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

wedgetail737

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:01 pm

lightsaber wrote:
This is the Alaska airlines network thread. Please keep discussion on topic. That means taking Scope topics to another thread. This is your warning.

Sorry...I'll stay on point next time.

n7371f

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:50 am

It would be a gross negligence to the financial stability of Alaska, the airline not the group, to have all contract flying farmed out to one airline - in your case QX. It would set up AS for greater financial imperil should something happen to QX with a strike or some abnormal FAA grounding. Additionally having at least two contract operators, it allows AS management to drive best-of efficiencies off both competing for the same flying.

tiptoe42 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
tiptoe42 wrote:
So your fine with Alaska and Horizon parking airplanes and laying off employees while flying is outsourced to Skywest?

I don't want to see a single AAG employee furloughed, but adding flying on OO metal that would perhaps not have happened otherwise keeps CSAs employed, Res agents employed, and so on.

So the question becomes, you're fine with seeing some AAG employees furloughed because flying needs to be mainline or not at all?

I have already stated that I believe all AAG flying should be flown by mainline, using whatever airplane is appropriate, be it a q400, embraer, boeing, or even god forbid an airbus. I’ve also stated that that will never happen, however I do believe if Alaska is going to use a regional airline it should be done by Horizon since they are wholly owned and are AAG employees. Respectfully, I believe that if Skywest was not in the AAG mix, more AAG employees would be keeping their jobs.

Alti2ood

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:06 am

tiptoe42 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
tiptoe42 wrote:

"god forbid an airbus" - The prayer cards ended by 2012. :stirthepot:

JBoy

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:21 pm

"god forbid an airbus" - The prayer cards ended by 2012. :stirthepot:

I miss those prayer cards!

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:47 pm

n7371f wrote:
Additionally having at least two contract operators, it allows AS management to drive best-of efficiencies off both competing for the same flying.

That's the argument in favor of whipsaw. I didn't expect to find it here.

If competition is good for regionals, why does mainline have exclusive rights and (routinely) scope provisions? :o

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

robt760

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:50 pm

Flying out of ONT the other day, and was interesting to note 13 Alaska/Horizon aircraft parked in a holding area between T2 and the International arrival terminal. It appeared to be a mix of E175 and B737 aircraft, in tight line up, and with engine intake covered. Are there other smaller stations in the network with aircraft staging/storage currently? Which stations ?

ucdtim17

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:26 pm

robt760 wrote:
Flying out of ONT the other day, and was interesting to note 13 Alaska/Horizon aircraft parked in a holding area between T2 and the International arrival terminal. It appeared to be a mix of E175 and B737 aircraft, in tight line up, and with engine intake covered. Are there other smaller stations in the network with aircraft staging/storage currently? Which stations ?

I don't know about recently but in the Spring OAK had a bunch of AS planes parked. I would assume they're still there. https://twitter.com/BlackKangoPhoto/sta ... 0614975491

DLASFlyer

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:28 pm

robt760 wrote:

When I was at RDM in May there were multiple QX aircraft in long term storage all sealed up.

n7371f

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:48 am

Thanks. Avoided me a new thread on whose planes these were as I saw them from above into LAX other day.

I believe AS MGT said all the QX and OO flying had returned.

robt760 wrote:

AmericanAir88

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Alaska just cut change fees following the same decision the legacies made yesterday.

Seems this will be a trend for most US airlines. B6 and SY are probably next. No idea about ULCCs

d8s

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:04 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
d8s wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

I honestly don’t give a rodent’s posterior who does the flying for AAG as long as it broadens the network - which supports and expands mainline - and is consistently profitable, which benefits all employees. Being solely focused on whose metal flies it is shortsighted.

As a Gold75K I am tired of booking a flight on AS mainline and having it changed to a QX/OO flight. Understandable some of the smaller cities might be QX/OO but management has infiltrated the entire route network with QX/OO. It is not the same level of service nor onboard product when this change happens.

Really? I almost prefer the E-175's over the mainline aircraft simply for the 1st class seat on the single side. All the times, I've flown on the E-175's, I haven't had too many shortcomings in service. But I guess that's just me...I guess I'm not that picky. What I found interesting in the past that the level of service on the Airbus airplanes seemed less than on the 737's. I'm interested to see how the service has diminished because of COVID.

If I’m flying alone the single F seat is nice, but the overhead bins suck...lol.

I do agree, for the most part, the Airbus service is subpar compared to the Boeing planes. I’ve found the QX service far superior to the OO service.

In March, on board service was virtually non-existent and varied by flight. They are slowly bringing service back...ice is available and they will actually pot coffee.

wedgetail737

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:42 am

n7371f wrote:
Thanks. Avoided me a new thread on whose planes these were as I saw them from above into LAX other day.

I believe AS MGT said all the QX and OO flying had returned.

robt760 wrote:

That doesn't surprise me. Looking at Flightradar24, I see a lot of QX and OO E-175's flying around, along with many QX Q400's.

iAmAlaska49

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:47 pm

AS started PDX-DEN on 9/1/2020. Anyone know how the flight went and what capacity levels it had?

FX1816

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 pm

robt760 wrote:

I think you really mean between Terminal 2 and Terminal 4. The only thing between T2 and the Intl Arrivals building is the wash and 2 Amazon sort buildings.

asuflyer

AS temporarily suspends ops at PDX, RDM, MFR, GEG, EUG, ALW due to wildfires

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:41 am

The smoke and air quality from the wildfires in Oregon and California is impacting AS operations.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... ce=twitter

joeblow10

Re: AS temporarily suspends ops at PDX, RDM, MFR, GEG, EUG, ALW due to wildfires

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 am

Wow.... shutting down ops at PDX, that's pretty wild. The others (with the exception of maybe GEG) don't suprise me, but for AS to shut down PDX it must be real bad.

Wondering if it's solely a visibility thing or an issue from an employer perspective with people working outside

Canuck600

Re: AS temporarily suspends ops at PDX, RDM, MFR, GEG, EUG, ALW due to wildfires

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:00 am

There are fires in Washington state that are causing smoke to drift up into British Columbia Canada, I imagine that's the reason for GEG

B747forever

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 am

Oh great, I am flying LAX-SJC-PDX-ANC tomorrow. So far my flights are still scheduled to depart.
Work Hard, Fly Right

joeblow10

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 am

B747forever wrote:
Oh great, I am flying LAX-SJC-PDX-ANC tomorrow. So far my flights are still scheduled to depart.

well they've got a note on their website now - why not just call and get switched to connect via SEA

hiflyeras

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:37 am

Not only visibility but ground crews are having to work in hazardous conditions.

Chasensfo

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:50 am

B747forever wrote:

Yes, as was said, for sure you should be proactive and get this changed.

iflykpdx

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 am

My PDX-SJC flight tomorrow was cancelled. Hoping to get rebooked for the (currently still un-cancelled) last flight of the day. The wait time for a call back is 3 hours right now...
Airport Management - UND

iflykpdx

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:12 pm

Update: The flight I was rebooked on for tonight also cancelled. Seems like this is just turning into rolling cancellations now. Good luck getting in or out of PDX on AS this week. I finally had enough and booked the last flight on WN tonight.
Airport Management - UND

AshFlops

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:15 pm

I was in Portland earlier this week, I flew WN from DEN. The smoke was so thick it was like dense fog which smelled like bad bbq. A lor of businesses were closed as it was not safe for employees to be working. Construction sites were shutdown, restaurants closed, and the airport was a ghost town, more than normal. Kind of like a snow day, but much less fun.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:52 pm

Anyone wanting a technical discussion of this smoke event can go to the Cliff Mass blog, an atmosphere scientist at the UW. The event was apparent mid last week, but hit in full force last Friday. At that time there was some hope it would clear in a few days. It didn't, and the whys will be interesting to anyone who enjoys technical weather discussions. He has several longer posts, also alludes to his sometime very different political views.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

SANFan

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:40 am

Seems to me this thread needs an update.

According to AS.com, flights at PDX and GEG resumed on Tuesday, the 15th. Partially at least. So I guess there was about a 24-hour cancellation of all flights at PDX?

I haven't been able to find out about all the other airports listed but can anyone update us on those? And are PDX and GEG up to normal ops now (Friday afternoon?)

bb

pdxav8r

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 am

SANFan wrote:
Seems to me this thread needs an update.

According to AS.com, flights at PDX and GEG resumed on Tuesday, the 15th. Partially at least. So I guess there was about a 24-hour cancellation of all flights at PDX?

I haven't been able to find out about all the other airports listed but can anyone update us on those? And are PDX and GEG up to normal ops now (Friday afternoon?)

bb

Everything scheduled as normal the last few days. AS really only cancelled flights within a 24 hour window, seemed to me, as I check the PDX website daily. The bulk of AS flights that have had intermittent cancellations since, have been intra-northwest flights. Didn’t seem that there were many cancellations if at all from airlines other than AS. Today AS has zero cancellations, very little smoke today after last nights thunder/rain/wind storms.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:01 pm

We got our marine push overnight. Most of western Oregon and Washington is now clear of smoke. I got up about 5am and porch/street lights across the bay are bright, clear, and not blurred. Yeah!
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Ishrion

Alaska Airlines Adds PSP-BOI/RNO/SJC

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:03 am

What's up with PSP lately?

Alaska Airlines is adding three routes out of Palm Springs: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -dec-2020/

- 1x daily Boise with the E-175
- 5x weekly Reno with the E-175
- 2x daily San Jose (CA) with the E-175 (last served in May 2009)

All begin on December 17, 2020.

In the past few weeks, Palm Springs has received a slew of additional service:

- JetBlue to Fort Lauderdale
- American Airlines to Philadelphia
- Boutique Air to Phoenix and Los Angeles
- Allegiant to Reno and Eugene
- Delta to Los Angeles
- Upcoming Southwest Airlines service

Nice to see these three Alaska routes. It seems like people are flooding to PSP during these times, but how much capacity can it sustain?

WN732

Re: Alaska Airlines Adds PSP-BOI/RNO/SJC

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:09 am

Ishrion wrote:

Alaska Airlines is adding three routes out of Palm Springs: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -dec-2020/

- Delta to Los Angeles

Nice to see these three Alaska routes. It seems like people are flooding to PSP during these times, but how much capacity can it sustain?

AS is shoring up airports where they are a key player and preumtive moves to put pressure on WN and DL. I wouldn't be surprised if WN does or at least isn't mulling over SJC service.

MIflyer12

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 am

WN732 wrote:
AS is shoring up airports where they are a key player and preumtive moves to put pressure on WN and DL.

I don't see this as a time for grand strategy. They need to find a combo of routes/frequencies/fares for ~300 planes that doesn't burn cash. (See Qantas flight to nowhere.)

wedgetail737

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:42 am

I understand SJC-PSP and BOI-PSP, but I don't understand RNO-PSP. The RNO-PSP seems to be out in left field. I would have thought AS would do GEG-PSP. Maybe it'll work, but just seems strange.

KLMatSJC

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:05 am

It was really just a matter of time until SJC-PSP was announced, especially with WN now coming in. I thought it would have happened a few years ago.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

joeblow10

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 am

Yeah - Bay Area to PSP demand is virtually unlimited. Looks like Palm Springs is the next beneficiary of the battle for California. WN to SJC and OAK at a minimum - I’m guessing DEN too

I doubt WN would’ve done SJC-PSP but with AS jumping on it, would be surprised if they don’t

DaCubbyBearBar

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:43 am

Kudos to PSP!! They are booming right now.
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Midwestindy

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:39 am

WN732 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- Delta to Los Angeles

AS is shoring up airports where they are a key player and preumtive moves to put pressure on WN and DL. I wouldn't be surprised if WN does or at least isn't mulling over SJC service.

WN was pretty dumb for announcing that a couple weeks back, and not just adding the routes then.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

n7371f

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:49 am

BOI-PSP tells you how much money has flown into the region in past decade. PSP is a destination for people who are doing well, generally.

wedgetail737

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:45 am

n7371f wrote:
BOI-PSP tells you how much money has flown into the region in past decade. PSP is a destination for people who are doing well, generally.

Yes...I agree. I'm a little surprised that there is no GEG-PSP yet. I wonder how PSP is going to handle all of the new traffic. PSP is really not that large.

sprxUSA

Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 am

Also, Allegiant adds their own BOI-PSP coming up starting November 19th 2×/wk.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

RWA380

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:46 am

Domestic vacations that are not far from home are on fire right now. HI is closed & restricted, money is tight & these 5 day/4 night getaways are plentiful. It's going to be different in the ways we travel.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

SCQ83

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:24 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I understand SJC-PSP and BOI-PSP, but I don't understand RNO-PSP. The RNO-PSP seems to be out in left field. I would have thought AS would do GEG-PSP. Maybe it'll work, but just seems strange.

I reckon they expect people that usually would live in LAX/SFO/any big city to "hibernate" in Palm Springs (teleworking) and might take a few days off to Reno for skiing.

In this time where people seem to avoid big cities, PSP and RNO target quite similar crowd and are complimentary (winter sun / winter snow)

Chuska

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Yeah - Bay Area to PSP demand is virtually unlimited. Looks like Palm Springs is the next beneficiary of the battle for California. WN to SJC and OAK at a minimum - I’m guessing DEN too

I doubt WN would’ve done SJC-PSP but with AS jumping on it, would be surprised if they don’t

Yep, a couple years ago AS tried ABQ-SNA (a route that's never been done before) and WN matched it. As soon as AS dropped it, so did WN.

32andBelow

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm

As someone that grew up in LA and now lives up north, the infatuation with PSP will be something I’ll never understand.

santi319

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:47 pm

32andBelow wrote:
As someone that grew up in LA and now lives up north, the infatuation with PSP will be something I’ll never understand.

Same, its the MYR of the west.. I dont get it?