Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AC4500

Re: Alaska Airlines 737-900 vs -800 usage

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:57 pm

Considering Alaska's entire fleet, they have more -900s than -800s, so naturally, you would see more -900s than -800s. However that doesn't take into account how many of each variant are currently stored at the moment.

Anyhow, the -800s are needed to fly to airports that have shorter runway lengths that the -900s cannot feasibly take-off from/land on (such as SNA and SBA). They also need the -800 on many of their PDX routes as well, which requires less demand and fewer seats than their SEA routes do, even throughout the pandemic. I've also noticed that the -800s are often operating on Hawaii routes and the -700 variants are typically reserved for inter-Alaska flights. However, with the E175 operating within Alaska now, their long-term -700 variant fleet utilization strategy may end up changing overtime.

Alaska also needs as much capacity in Seattle as possible in order to compete against Delta.

These factors alone, leave most of the -900s in Seattle, but I'm sure there are other factors that play into this decision as well.

NameOmitted wrote:
Iirc, SEA uses available seats to determine future gate allocation, how are blocked seats during the pandemic counted?

I thought SEA went by slots (not restricted slots, but flight frequencies) instead of actual seats, I could be wrong though. AS did block middle seats for awhile, but only recently started opening them up again IIRC.

MIflyer12

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:57 pm

sho69607 wrote:
I noticed that Alaska Airlines uses their -900's on most of the flights out of Seattle. Given the rather low demand of travel right now is there a reason they wouldn't sub some of these flights out for an -800 or -700 instead?

WN planned the same way. For a while the WN -700s were parked and they were flying -800s. It was mentioned very directly in an 8-K or 10-Q.

ArcticSEA

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:16 pm

The Alaska -700s aren't ETOPS. The suggestion that they be used to Hawaii is nonsensical. And for the record they have been used to the east coast from SEA occasionally, I recently saw one on SEATPA.

Tailwinds

Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:33 pm

AS is still blocking middle seats through at least early January. It's probably worthwhile to run 900s just to have enough capacity left after 1/3 is forfeited.

WkndWanderer

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:39 am

AC4500 wrote:
Considering Alaska's entire fleet, they have more -900s than -800s, so naturally, you would see more -900s than -800s. However that doesn't take into account how many of each variant are currently stored at the moment.

Anyhow, the -800s are needed to fly to airports that have shorter runway lengths that the -900s cannot feasibly take-off from/land on (such as SNA and SBA). They also need the -800 on many of their PDX routes as well, which requires less demand and fewer seats than their SEA routes do, even throughout the pandemic. I've also noticed that the -800s are often operating on Hawaii routes and the -700 variants are typically reserved for inter-Alaska flights. However, with the E175 operating within Alaska now, their long-term -700 variant fleet utilization strategy may end up changing overtime.

Alaska also needs as much capacity in Seattle as possible in order to compete against Delta.

These factors alone, leave most of the -900s in Seattle, but I'm sure there are other factors that play into this decision as well.

NameOmitted wrote:
Iirc, SEA uses available seats to determine future gate allocation, how are blocked seats during the pandemic counted?

I thought SEA went by slots (not restricted slots, but flight frequencies) instead of actual seats, I could be wrong though. AS did block middle seats for awhile, but only recently started opening them up again IIRC.

Gate allocation is based on the number of seats, although I don’t think they evaluate the entire year, just a snapshot in time. As others have mentioned, AS is still blocking middle seats and the -800’s are required for certain routes for performance reasons.

https://www.portseattle.org/sites/defau ... 202014.pdf

GSPSPOT

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 am

Interesting info. Good to know. I had been wondering why AS kept running 739s to MKE at a time of obvious lower demand. Glad they are though!

AC4500

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:07 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
The Alaska -700s aren't ETOPS. The suggestion that they be used to Hawaii is nonsensical. And for the record they have been used to the east coast from SEA occasionally, I recently saw one on SEATPA.

I said that the -800s are used for Hawaii routes, not the -700s.

Ishrion

Alaska Announces ANC-DEN/LAS/SFO, Extends PHX to Year-Round

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Alaska is adding more “sun and fun” destinations from ANC:

- 4x weekly year-round ANC-LAS from May 20, 2021

- ANC-SFO was supposed to begin this year but has been pushed to June 17, 2021

- 1x daily seasonal ANC-DEN from June 17 to August 16, 2021

- 1x daily ANC-PHX extended to year-round.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-12- ... -Anchorage

portcolumbus

Re: Alaska Announces ANC-DEN/LAS/SFO, Extends PHX to Year-Round

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:21 pm

ANC-LAS was previously flown 3 or 4 years ago.

cathay747

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:05 pm

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know they were flying ANC-PHX even tho I LIVE in the PHX area, and now learn it's seasonal-going year-round! Jeez. Also amazed they've not been flying ANC-SFO??? Have they ever?

avi8

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Move aside WN, we got here first.

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:19 pm

AS should try ANC-SLC, especially now that DL has clearly shown they do not intend to fly that route.

joeblow10

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:28 pm

It’s been years since they had ANC-DEN but glad to see it back. Interesting flight time Westbound

AWACSooner

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:34 pm

With all the WN expansion, still wondering why they haven't gone into ANC yet.

LAX772LR

Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:49 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
AS should try ANC-SLC, especially now that DL has clearly shown they do not intend to fly that route.

think there might be a rea$on for that.....?

Lootess

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:13 pm

SLC-ANC is likely not a profitable operation for anyone, considering they can just connect SEA-ANC on either airline.

Second, AS basically retreated from attacking DL at SLC once they merged with Virgin.

portcolumbus wrote:
ANC-LAS was previously flown 3 or 4 years ago.

Yep, I always took that redeye to ANC.
Last edited by Lootess on Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planeboy17

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Also amazed they've not been flying ANC-SFO??? Have they ever?

Yes they have, I don’t have the dates but I know that they have flown ANC-SFO before.

MAH4546

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:

Yes they have, I don’t have the dates but I know that they have flown ANC-SFO before.

Not since around 2002.

Also with all this expansion looks like LAXANC is cut back to only once a day. LAX is Anchorage’s largest mainland local market after Seattle.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:34 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

I would attribute that to:

1. Seasonality.

2. WN is still very much a short-haul airline (really, count the routes longer than 2,000 sm, even with Hawaii) and ANC is a long way from every plausible WN origin, all of which would see city (if not airport) xxx-ANC competition: CHI, OAK, DEN, LAX, PHX, LAS...

I wouldn't try to argue that WN will never go to ANC but there are still a dozen places that better fit their model, IMHO.

SANFan

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Didn't Virgin fly SFO-ANC at some point not too long before they disappeared -- maybe when AS took them over?

Perhaps WN will start SAN-ANC since AS doesn't seem interested in the route. I was hoping to see AS connect their SoCal focus city with the Alaska hub city in 2021 but it looks like they are going to re-start DEN instead... ??? (AS discontinued ANC-DEN in fall 2014.) Gee, maybe next AS will re-start GEG-ANC as well...

bb

TWA902fly

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:08 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:

Not since around 2002.

Also with all this expansion looks like LAXANC is cut back to only once a day. LAX is Anchorage’s largest mainland local market after Seattle.

A lot of the year ANC-LAX flies 1x daily anyways, I think more than daily was summer-only pre-corona. I believe during the low seasons there are even some weeks of less-than-daily operation (again, pre-corona).

'902

TWA902fly

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:21 pm

I wonder if ANC-DFW would be a viable route for them once they have the MAX? It would be their longest route by about 150 miles at 3043sm (I believe that honor currently belongs to ANC-KOA), but may be viable now that they're joining OneWorld. Perhaps ANC-ORD can go year round as well (it's been inching that way the past few years anyways, expanding start/end dates for summer season, sporadic service around the holidays, spring break, etc). All of this of course once the pandemic is tamed.

'902

as739x

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:

ANC-SFO was flown yearly till AS got slots at DCA. They moved the plane to the DCA-LAX route when it began and SFO didn't see service to ANC for years. Then it would occasionally show up here and there, or rumored to start.

The best part of the nonstop back in the days was the Ice Cream Snickers Bars served on them!!

WaGuy69

Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:11 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

I have a friend of mine who works with Southwest Airlines in the Dallas Love Field headquarters, WN was looking at flying to ANC when they received the 737 MAX jets, well we know what happened there. WN is still planning on flying to ANC just on hold right now.

AC4500

Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:50 pm

ANC-DEN is surprising. Who in Denver is going to fly this route on AS that wouldn't otherwise fly UA?

UA will obviously defend ANC-DEN with whatever price AS sets their flight at, so I don't see how ANC-DEN would work for AS.

joeblow10

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:00 pm

AC4500 wrote:
ANC-DEN is surprising. Who in Denver is going to fly this route on AS that wouldn't otherwise fly UA?

UA will obviously defend ANC-DEN with whatever price AS sets their flight at, so I don't see how ANC-DEN would work for AS.

It seemed to work in the past - I never understood why they stopped really. It was served from mid-2000s thru 2013 or 2014.

The difference now is, to your point, UA is defending DEN aggressively. That said - I’ve seen some absolutely ludicrous prices out of UA on the DEN-ANC/FAI nonstops the past couple of years. It’s clearly aimed at connecting pax. AS may be able to eat into the local crowd

Pi7472000

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Really odd they would start DEN ANC. People in Denver know very little about Alaska Airlines and they have very little name recognition. UA will just match the price and most people will choose UA.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:22 pm

I find den hard to work. United already operates it N/S. How much demand is there really to Denver? A place like LAS makes total sense. Leisure travel to places different. Denver a bunch of backpacker granola types are not going to pay much and don't mind connecting for a deal. Hard to see Denver imho

Chugach

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Can’t help but chuckle at at the ANC-DEN questioning. At one time UA, AS, and F9 all flew this route. I flew it on AS several times and loads were always quite good. DEN is actually a fairly popular destination from ANC.

AS previously flew it from about 2003-ish to 2013-ish. They dropped it because F9 started tanking yields, and then F9 wound up dropping it not long after they went full ULCC. Frankly I’m surprised it took AS this long to bring it back.

ANC-LAS is also a retread...I think this is at least the third, if not fourth, time that AS has made a run at ANC-LAS service.

What’s also interesting about this announcement is that all four of these destinations are where WN would likely serve ANC from, should they ever start serving ANC.

chrisair

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:26 pm

cathay747 wrote:
I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know they were flying ANC-PHX even tho I LIVE in the PHX area, and now learn it's seasonal-going year-round! Jeez. Also amazed they've not been flying ANC-SFO??? Have they ever?

That has been going on in the winters for a few years. You must have lived under a rock and never visited T2 late at night! :mrgreen:

ytib

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:28 pm

As someone who has flown to JNU 20-ish times a year pre-pandemic the redeye to DEN is quite viable for my team and I which does the commute. The flights to ANC will be popular with those who are going on fishing excursions were they need to get into YAK, CDV or other villages to make the final journey to the lodge. The morning flight out of SEA does not connect with AS61 thus you either have to stay overnight or get up to ANC to head down on AS66. In past summers I have seen overhead bins filled with many fly fishing rods folks are bring up to get to these places.

There are also many commuters to the North Slope, Red Dog or Juneau who live in the Colorado/Wyoming areas and now have another option in the summer months to get to ANC to either connect to the charters or direct flights to the mines. I have sat next to many of them.

AC4500

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:28 pm

Chugach wrote:
Can’t help but chuckle at at the ANC-DEN questioning. At one time UA, AS, and F9 all flew this route. I flew it on AS several times and loads were always quite good. DEN is actually a fairly popular destination from ANC.

AS previously flew it from about 2003-ish to 2013-ish. They dropped it because F9 started tanking yields, and then F9 wound up dropping it not long after they went full ULCC. Frankly I’m surprised it took AS this long to bring it back.

COVID aside, times are very different now than when AS flew ANC-DEN before. UA has become a lot more aggressive and is defending their main hubs, including DEN much more rigorously then they were before. UA has been willing to match low prices on most routes that their competitors jump into, even their premium routes. If there is a strong local demand from Denver to Anchorage and vice versa (I'm not doubting that there isn't), then this route may have a chance at success for AS even with UA competition.

However, as others have pointed out, AS has very little local traction in Denver and if I were a Denver resident and saw that AS and UA both offered the same nonstop fares on that route, I would choose UA.

UA will be able to fill up seats on this route much faster and easier given their willingness to match their competitor's lower prices, strong loyalty of local Denver residents and steady connecting traffic through a large hub to boot.

AS has none of these factors to their advantage.

hpff

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:34 pm

AC4500 wrote:
However, as others have pointed out, AS has very little local traction in Denver and if I were a Denver resident and saw that AS and UA both offered the same nonstop fares on that route, I would choose UA.

The inverse is also true - Alaska will likely get the Alaska point-of-sale over United, which isn't insubstantial.

What is bonkers though is (not just for AS) all this route expansion during a severe industry contraction.

AC4500

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 pm

hpff wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

The inverse is also true - Alaska will likely get the Alaska point-of-sale over United, which isn't insubstantial.

What is bonkers though is (not just for AS) all this route expansion during a severe industry contraction.

Good point. I just figured that local traffic demand from Denver to Anchorage would be much larger than from Anchorage to Denver.

jbmitt

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:42 pm

AC4500 wrote:
hpff wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Good point. I just figured that local traffic demand from Denver to Anchorage would be much larger than from Anchorage to Denver.

I think Alaskans have a high propensity to travel. Not that folks in Colorado don't, but I've found many of my friends in the Pacific Northwest to be loyal to AS. My only flight with them was a redeye from ANC to ORD.

wedgetail737

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:21 am

Planeboy17 wrote:

AS flew the SFO-ANC route from the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's for sure, initially with 727 aircraft.

AA737-823

Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 am

jbmitt wrote:
I think Alaskans have a high propensity to travel.

Yes. We very much do.
I don't know whether DEN will work long term or not. Frankly, I wish they'd do DFW (to connect with their new OneWorld partner, American...) instead. AA manages to fill A321neo's all summer, and indeed pre-covid, a 787.

SurfandSnow

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Alaska is adding more “sun and fun” destinations from ANC

AS is adding service to the 4 destinations that are most likely to serve as WN gateways to Alaska: DEN (now their biggest station, right?), LAS, PHX and/or San Francisco Bay Area - in WN's case this would of course be OAK. I suppose if WN saw reason to add service to FAT and SBA for next summer, ANC and other popular summer mountain retreats (BZN, EGE, JAC, etc.) may be getting announced soon as well.

Coronado990

Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:38 pm

SANFan wrote:
Didn't Virgin fly SFO-ANC at some point not too long before they disappeared -- maybe when AS took them over?

Perhaps WN will start SAN-ANC since AS doesn't seem interested in the route. I was hoping to see AS connect their SoCal focus city with the Alaska hub city in 2021 but it looks like they are going to re-start DEN instead... ??? (AS discontinued ANC-DEN in fall 2014.) Gee, maybe next AS will re-start GEG-ANC as well...

bb

I think AS is missing the boat on this on. If Southern California is such a popular destination from ANC, I think a Sat only ANC-SAN-SJD would have been a great add for them to get to some great weather and beaches. Oh yeah, isn't SAN a focus city?

SANFan

Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

I think AS is missing the boat on this one. If Southern California is such a popular destination from ANC, I think a Sat only ANC-SAN-SJD would have been a great add for them to get to some great weather and beaches. Oh yeah, isn't SAN a focus city?

Yup, sure is...

Well, that's 2 of us who think this way! (Don't forget potential connections to PVR and CUN in addition to Cabo as well as domestic ones as well like FLL, MCO, FAT, etc.)

(And btw, '990, I'd bet SAN-ANC could operate successfully at least 3 or 4 times a week, and probably even year-round!)

bb

Chugach

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I think AS is missing the boat on this on. If Southern California is such a popular destination from ANC, I think a Sat only ANC-SAN-SJD would have been a great add for them to get to some great weather and beaches. Oh yeah, isn't SAN a focus city?

My recollection is that SAN-ANC O&D is pretty small. There’s a reason AS hasn’t picked this up despite having a hub at one end and focus city at the other. And the Mexico connections are just as easily served via LAX/SEA/PDX out of ANC.

SANFan

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Chugach wrote:
My recollection is that SAN-ANC O&D is pretty small. There’s a reason AS hasn’t picked this up despite having a hub at one end and focus city at the other. And the Mexico connections are just as easily served via LAX/SEA/PDX out of ANC.

A couple of comments. Can you, Chugach tell me where I would find figures for Alaska-Lower 48 traffic? I've never actually seen any figures and I would like to see them and specifically how SAN-ANC compares to, say, DEN-ANC and even SFO-ANC.

I think it's possible that the reason AS hasn't started this route yet, despite the stations on both ends being more than just 2 AS stations, is the increasing importance of SAN as an AS station and that the carrier is definitely growing here and has already added many new destinations this winter. If AS continues to chase leisure markets during COVID, then travel between SAN and ANC certainly fits that plan. After all, AS didn't feel it desirable to connect SAN with FLL or CUN either... until last month. LAX and ANC are currently the only hubs that are not connected with SAN while, as of next month, we will see right around 30 unique nonstop destinations! I wouldn't be totally surprised to see service to both of those hubs start at some point!

You are certainly correct that connections to various Lower 48 destinations as well as Mexico from Alaska are available thru the 3 hubs you mentioned. However, what's wrong with offering even more opportunities? If SAN is connected with ANC, for example, that would allow more seats for O&D pax ANC-LAX as some connections are shifted to the SAN routing. And who knows, with more connecting points, layovers might be better between say ANC and FLL via SAN than over LAX. SJD-ANC via SAN might be a much better connection than over LAX, PDX or SEA. And another important feature of SAN connections is that AS's operation here is smaller and more compact making connections quicker and easier. I know I would much rather change AAG planes in SAN than LA or SEA! (SAN currently has access to about 8 gates at SDIA.)

And let's not forget all of the potential AK destinations beyond ANC, including FAI, that would attract at least some SAN-originating pax.

bb

Chugach

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:49 pm

SANFan wrote:
Chugach wrote:

A couple of comments. Can you, Chugach tell me where I would find figures for Alaska-Lower 48 traffic? I've never actually seen any figures and I would like to see them and specifically how SAN-ANC compares to, say, DEN-ANC and even SFO-ANC.

bb

BTS (Bureau of Transportation Statistics). You have to dig in to the spreadsheets to find out the data of cities that aren’t connected nonstop so it’s a little nerdy, but it’s out there. When I was getting my MBA about 9 years ago I did a project looking at potential unserved destinations from ANC/FAI. My vague recollection is that, in no particular order, the top 5 L49 routes from ANC were SEA, PDX, LAX, Hawaii, and I believe DEN. My recollection of FAI was that it was SEA, PDX, and Hawaii, and traffic drops precipitously for locales outside of those three. AS could probably run FAI-HNL a couple times a week in winter and do just fine (they don’t, because it overflows ANC and there’s other fish to fry).

I am sure somebody else has more recent and better info, though.

Coronado990

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:53 pm

SANFan wrote:
Chugach wrote:

I think it's possible that the reason AS hasn't started this route yet, despite the stations on both ends being more than just 2 AS stations, is the increasing importance of SAN as an AS station and that the carrier is definitely growing here and has already added many new destinations this winter. If AS continues to chase leisure markets during COVID, then travel between SAN and ANC certainly fits that plan. After all, AS didn't feel it desirable to connect SAN with FLL or CUN either... until last month. LAX and ANC are currently the only hubs that are not connected with SAN while, as of next month, we will see right around 30 unique nonstop destinations! I wouldn't be totally surprised to see service to both of those hubs start at some point!

You are certainly correct that connections to various Lower 48 destinations as well as Mexico from Alaska are available thru the 3 hubs you mentioned. However, what's wrong with offering even more opportunities? If SAN is connected with ANC, for example, that would allow more seats for O&D pax ANC-LAX as some connections are shifted to the SAN routing. And who knows, with more connecting points, layovers might be better between say ANC and FLL via SAN than over LAX. SJD-ANC via SAN might be a much better connection than over LAX, PDX or SEA. And another important feature of SAN connections is that AS's operation here is smaller and more compact making connections quicker and easier. I know I would much rather change AAG planes in SAN than LA or SEA! (SAN currently has access to about 8 gates at SDIA.)

And let's not forget all of the potential AK destinations beyond ANC, including FAI, that would attract at least some SAN-originating pax.

bb

I live by the flight path near Lindbergh. My neighbor was surprised no Alaska planes came from Anchorage while I was surprised when they thought every AS flight was from Alaska. That's a lot of flights!

marcogr12

Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:19 pm

I am surprised ANC is not connected to JFK, MIA and/or MCO, not even seasonally

wedgetail737

Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:58 am

marcogr12 wrote:

They could when the MAX-9's come on line.

DylanHarvey

Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:02 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Miami is over 8hrs block time.

wedgetail737

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:16 am

DylanHarvey wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Your point? I have flown on Alaska's 737-800's up to 7-1/2 hours. I don't think AS would ever do it. I don't think there is a market between ANC-MIA.

MAH4546

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:31 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Your point? I have flown on Alaska's 737-800's up to 7-1/2 hours. I don't think AS would ever do it. I don't think there is a market between ANC-MIA.

Make no mistake, nobody is going to fly this non-stop anytime soon, but the market can fill a plane a few times a week in the summer. Boston or D.C., too.

ASFlyer

Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:32 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

no, they can't. The MAX-9's range is 3550nm without aux tanks that AS isn't getting. That opens up a little more but def not the 4000nm between ANC-MIA or even ANC-MCO and probably not even ANC-JFK without regular stops.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos