Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg

Re: Arabian Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:02 pm

myki wrote:
airlinefreak1 wrote:
How about AUH midfield terminal? Any idea as to when we expect it to open?

We have all been expecting it to open at 9000 different 'promised' times since the original opening date which was 7 July 2017. The current launch date is ... ah wait, forget it. Let's just wait until it is open.

What's causing the delay? Do you what is the expected capacity and if maybe they are not rushing it now that EY is shrinking.

UAEflyer

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:09 pm

myki wrote:
airlinefreak1 wrote:
How about AUH midfield terminal? Any idea as to when we expect it to open?

We have all been expecting it to open at 9000 different 'promised' times since the original opening date which was 7 July 2017. The current launch date is ... ah wait, forget it. Let's just wait until it is open.

AUH had some logistical & financial issues. The work slowed down rapidly in the last 2 years.
Talks now suggesting that September will be the opening month. Let’s hope that it’s not another BER.

xwb777
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Here’s a screenshot from Sam Chui’s newest instagram post. It seems that the new Midfield Terminal is almost ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwb777
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:51 am

Emirates will add a third daily flight to Bali from 01JUN20.

myki

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:51 pm

Genuine thoughts on Turkey/UAE flights ... as I honestly don't know the answer to this.

Outside of Istanbul, and just looking at a handful of airports you have:
ADB - Amman, Doha, Kuwait City, Tehran, Tel Aviv,
ANK - Amman, Baghdad, Doha, Erbil, Jeddah, Medina, Tehran
AYT - Amman, Baghdad, Beirut, Doha, Riyadh, Kuwait City, Tel Aviv
(probably missed some desinations too but just highlighting ...)

Any reason for nothing to AUH, DWC or DXB? AirArabia has some flights but I can't figure out why the rest of the Persian Gulf has flights to the Turkish capital and the beach resorts, but not even FZ goes to any. Pretty sure EY might have an A320 or 2 laying around to test the waters, even seasonal, couple of days a week.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Avgeek21

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:16 pm

myki wrote:
Genuine thoughts on Turkey/UAE flights ... as I honestly don't know the answer to this.

Any reason for nothing to AUH, DWC or DXB? AirArabia has some flights but I can't figure out why the rest of the Persian Gulf has flights to the Turkish capital and the beach resorts, but not even FZ goes to any. Pretty sure EY might have an A320 or 2 laying around to test the waters, even seasonal, couple of days a week.

Can anyone enlighten me?

AFAIK Turkey will not allow it due to billateral agreements and protectionism. UAE has an open skies policy with Turkey but the issue isn’t with the UAE. Probably to protect Turkish. Seasonal routes to/from DXB could work. And I believe Air Arabia tried and stopped Antalya?

emre787

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Avgeek21 wrote:
myki wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me?

AFAIK Turkey will not allow it due to billateral agreements and protectionism. UAE has an open skies policy with Turkey but the issue isn’t with the UAE. Probably to protect Turkish. Seasonal routes to/from DXB could work. And I believe Air Arabia tried and stopped Antalya?

Air Arabia also flew to Izmir and the loads were so bad they cancelled the flights in advance. I remember seeing a turkish aviation article that there were many flights with only 10 to 15 pax IRRC.

Actually I can't really think of the reason because outside of Istanbul the market is still widely open and people are willing that foreign airlines fly to more cities outside of Istanbul but looks like Air Arabia couldn't get it work where else for example Qatar Airways is really successful right now (they fly to like 7 or more turkish cities now)

xwb777
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:49 pm

emre787 wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:
myki wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me?

Air Arabia also flew to Izmir and the loads were so bad they cancelled the flights in advance. I remember seeing a turkish aviation article that there were many flights with only 10 to 15 pax IRRC.

Actually I can't really think of the reason because outside of Istanbul the market is still widely open and people are willing that foreign airlines fly to more cities outside of Istanbul but looks like Air Arabia couldn't get it work where else for example Qatar Airways is really successful right now (they fly to like 7 or more turkish cities now)

Qatar Airways are flying to 7 or so destinations in Turkey because they need places to send there aircraft somewhere after the blockade.

emre787

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 pm

xwb777 wrote:
emre787 wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:

Qatar Airways are flying to 7 or so destinations in Turkey because they need places to send there aircraft somewhere after the blockade.

Yes that's right but it seems like they got those (even a bit regional) destinations work because they're increasing the frequencies too

xwb777
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:02 pm

Bahrain bans flights to/from both Dubai International and Sharjah International Airports for 48 hours. Bahrain’s latest confirmed Corona Virus case flew in from Iran via Dubai.

myki

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:47 am

xwb777 wrote:
Bahrain bans flights to/from both Dubai International and Sharjah International Airports for 48 hours. Bahrain’s latest confirmed Corona Virus case flew in from Iran via Dubai.

Typical for UAE news, as this shows the country in a bad light do you think this even gets a mention in the local media?

worldranger

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:10 pm

EK halts all flights to and from Iran

Blerg

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:00 am

Due to the ongoing financial crisis in Lebanon, Air Serbia will be discontinuing its BEG-BEY flights from 04.03.2020 to 12.06.2020.

Flights operated three times in winter, daily in summer.

xwb777
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 am

Royal Jordanian suspended all flights to/from Italy.

Blerg

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:47 pm

MEA's A321neo has been spotted featuring the airline's new livery. I don't know how to feel about it, I will miss the old cedar tree on the tail though, it has been around for a while, since the late 1980s?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Ju-FKBP3R/

rida79

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:03 am

Blerg wrote:
MEA's A321neo has been spotted featuring the airline's new livery. I don't know how to feel about it, I will miss the old cedar tree on the tail though, it has been around for a while, since the late 1980s?

I am not a fan either. The current livery is much nicer. As for the cedar tree,it’s been on the tail since the airline formed decades ago.

georgiabill

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:17 am

I like their present paint scheme.

Blerg

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 am

rida79 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I am not a fan either. The current livery is much nicer. As for the cedar tree,it’s been on the tail since the airline formed decades ago.

То me this cedar tree looks like a smudge.

I meant the current design of the cedar tree, that one has been around since the late 1980s or early 1990s. Before that it was slightly different, a bit like Lego design. :D

Blerg

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:43 am

Ryanair discontinues Aqaba-Rome/Milan flights until the end of the winter season. Both were served twice a week.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2020/

Scotron12

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:57 pm

EK asking staff to take unpaid leave.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN20O1FD

rida79

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 am

Blerg wrote:
rida79 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

То me this cedar tree looks like a smudge.

I meant the current design of the cedar tree, that one has been around since the late 1980s or early 1990s. Before that it was slightly different, a bit like Lego design. :D

LOL re: LEGO comment, totally agree! The current tree was intoroduced around 1998 or early 2000’s. It does look a lot more professional than the LEGO one.

xwb777
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:17 am

Wizz Air Abu Dhabi to launch operations in Q3 2020. Will fly to destinations in Asia, Africa, Europe & Middle East.
Will start with 3 A321NEOs, increasing to 50 within 10 years.

Link: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... -this-year

Blerg

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:43 am

Interesting to see what destinations they go for. I am sure BUD will be one of the first destinations in Europe as they could use it to rotate planes, unless they plan on servicing them elsewhere.

Has Air Arabia given up on cooperating with Etihad? We didn't hear anything about them in a while.

xwb777
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:21 pm

A6-EOP is back in the air

myki

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:30 pm

Blerg wrote:
Interesting to see what destinations they go for. I am sure BUD will be one of the first destinations in Europe as they could use it to rotate planes, unless they plan on servicing them elsewhere.

Has Air Arabia given up on cooperating with Etihad? We didn't hear anything about them in a while.

"The airline is expected to start operations by the second quarter of this year, according to Mr Douglas." Operations meaning what ... setting up shop in AUH, or actually taking off on the first flight?
https://www.thenational.ae/business/uae ... e-1.961566

A330Inter

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 pm

They better rush, otherwise they will miss the key period of booking cycle for summer season.
These low cost will strive in this period over there, not during winter, the potential routes to Middle East, India/Sub-continent, Africa and Eastern Europe (Balkans, Caucasus) are sufficient for 3 aircraft but it has to be opened for bookings before 1st April and launch date 1st July

The first destinations should be:
- Caucasus: GYD, TBS,
- Balkans: SJJ, BEG, BUD, VIE,
- Middle East: LCA, BEY, AMM, ALY, and AYT/TZX if the bilaterral allowed it
- India/Sub-Continent: CCU, DAC, HYD, TRV, KHI, SKT, PEW, KTM,
- Other: BKK, MBA,
(The bolded ones can sustain reduced frequency in Winter season, other wouldn't)

Blerg

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:06 pm

A330Inter wrote:
They better rush, otherwise they will miss the key period of booking cycle for summer season.
These low cost will strive in this period over there, not during winter, the potential routes to Middle East, India/Sub-continent, Africa and Eastern Europe (Balkans, Caucasus) are sufficient for 3 aircraft but it has to be opened for bookings before 1st April and launch date 1st July

(The bolded ones can sustain reduced frequency in Winter season, other wouldn't)

I don't know if BEG would be an option for them, Etihad already operates daily flights with connections on both ends. SJJ is definitely a strong candidate, maybe even OTP could be considered.

A330Inter

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:01 pm

Blerg wrote:
I don't know if BEG would be an option for them, Etihad already operates daily flights with connections on both ends. SJJ is definitely a strong candidate, maybe even OTP could be considered.

BEG operated by W6 will capture the P2P market, EY can retain the connecting traffic to Asia/Australia, the overall demand is there for 2x daily during the high season and 11x weekly in low season.
But as far as W6 is concerned, this could print money on the year round basis

I forgot OTP, you are right, maybe even KBP (currently too many connect over IST with TK)

Blerg

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:35 am

A330Inter wrote:
Blerg wrote:

BEG operated by W6 will capture the P2P market, EY can retain the connecting traffic to Asia/Australia, the overall demand is there for 2x daily during the high season and 11x weekly in low season.
But as far as W6 is concerned, this could print money on the year round basis

I forgot OTP, you are right, maybe even KBP (currently too many connect over IST with TK)

Actually, BEG is daily in winter and seems like they are not bringing back the second daily in the summer. We are already in March and there is no change, last year they loaded those flights by the end of January.

Don't forget that majority of Serbs actually lives in Dubai which is served by FZ with daily flights. Market is massive and even FZ increased BEG to daily this winter, up from five. My guess is that AUH-BEG could work on Wizz Air (not more than twice a week) but it would have to undercut FZ to Dubai. Etihad is useless on this route as they charge around €550 for a return flight which is too much in my opinion. FZ has sales for around €380 without luggage.

Kiev is definitely an interesting destination and it was one of the first destinations to be loaded by Air Arabia Abu Dhabi. I think even Thessaloniki could work though I don't know if it would be on their radar since they are generally not strong over there right now.

I would love to see them launch AUH-SAW/IST.

xwb777
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Wizz Air is advertising few positions based in Abu Dhabi.

A330Inter

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Blerg wrote:
I would love to see them launch AUH-SAW/IST.

I believe AUH-IST is maxed out on the bilatteral, but AUH-SAW from UAE perspective should be free since Etihad never really launched it after the attacks and coup in Istanbul in 2017-2017. But can they secure slots in SAW now that Turkey CAA has blacked-out the issue of new slots there until the new runway opens?

parrotta

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:52 am

BUD and VIE is not balkans
Its central europe

A330Inter wrote:

Blerg

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:07 am

parrotta wrote:
BUD and VIE is not balkans
Its central europe

A330Inter wrote:

VIE is central Europe, BUD wishes it was. lol

rida79

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:14 am

First Kuwait Airways A330-800 rolls out of the production line in Toulouse. Picture in the article below (in Arabic).

https://alqabas.com/article/5757424-الك ... ص-800-a330

xwb777
Topic Author

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Etihad announces Vienna.
Starting from 22/05, Etihad will start 4 weekly flights to VIE operated by the B789.

mickster

Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:07 pm

Finally! With QR flying up to 3x daily out of VIE I thought this should have happened sooner ... Pity that I already bought tickets out of MUC for later this year but definitely look forward to the next opportunity, perhaps they would come out with a special launch promo ...

myki

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:32 am

Always good to hear of some new routes being launched (perhaps EY did fly there a while ago? not sure) in this time of suspensions and cancellations.

xwb777
Topic Author

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Effective 01JUN20, Etihad will transfer its flights to Beijing (wich also includes Beijing to Nagoya) to Beijing Daxing Int. Airport - PKX

Source: https://www.etihad.com/en-ae/news/etiha ... al-airport

BuildingMyBento

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:10 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Etihad announces Vienna.
Starting from 22/05, Etihad will start 4 weekly flights to VIE operated by the B789.

As of late, VIE is limiting flights from certain Wuhan-19 countries...the UAE might soon join that list.

Blerg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
Etihad announces Vienna.

As of late, VIE is limiting flights from certain Wuhan-19 countries...the UAE might soon join that list.

Do you know what countries those might be? From what I know Iran is no longer connected to Vienna so that leaves South Korea and I suppose Italy will be on that list as well. I wonder if they might restrict or completely suspend flights from Switzerland.

Blerg

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 am

I guess with Trump banning flights from Schengen countries, Emirates' ATH-EWR will be temporarily suspended.

eta unknown

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:01 am

EK website says FLL cancelled until 31MAR while EWR-ATH, JFK-MXP cancelled until 3APR

xwb777
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 pm

KLM to drop Kuwait flights?

xwb777
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:31 pm

EK has parked 21 A380s (mostly -ED* series), and will defer future A380 deliveries.

KingB123

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:34 pm

eta unknown wrote:
EK website says FLL cancelled until 31MAR while EWR-ATH, JFK-MXP cancelled until 3APR

With FLL i've heard its the weakest performing US market for Emirates
King B

xwb777
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:36 pm

KingB123 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

I guess EK should have went for MIA instead of FLL.

KingB123

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:43 pm

xwb777 wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

I guess EK should have went for MIA instead of FLL.

I was really surprised they went for FLL but again, it was for the jetblue partnership they have (or had, im not sure if they still have it). But i would have thought this flight would perform better. Im presuming that majority of passengers on this flight are connections.
King B

rida79

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:33 am

xwb777 wrote:

Where did you get this info from? Source?

xwb777
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:27 am

rida79 wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

Where did you get this info from? Source?

I am just asking a question. I tried searching for a flight from AMS to Kuwait, no direct flights. All the results were via Abu Dhabi (connecting to an Etihad flight ) and Dubai (connecting to a Flydubai flight).

xwb777
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 am

Air Canada cancels DXB flights until 24APR20.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos