Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tphuang

Re: JetBlue Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:44 pm

The article is terrible as usual. RH has repeatedly said that they will start London flight to later in 2021 and it becomes late 2021 when these articles come out. We will see, but my guess is to start by sometimes in June. If they can't hit June, then doesn't make sense to start until November.

Dieuwer

Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:51 pm

tphuang wrote:
The article is terrible as usual. RH has repeatedly said that they will start London flight to later in 2021 and it becomes late 2021 when these articles come out. We will see, but my guess is to start by sometimes in June. If they can't hit June, then doesn't make sense to start until November.

If June next year then schedules need to be announced in Q4 2020.

jfklganyc

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:42 am

TheLunchbox wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
trueblew wrote:
More planes are scheduled to fly to long term storage in Arizona, two just this morning. I'd be surprised if we don't see some further drawdown of the schedule soon.

They are ridiculously overstaffed right now, and they are not furloughing anyone. October is going to be a very slow month and this holiday season the slowest probably in history.

All airlines are overstaffed based on the CURRENT environment. JetBlue is staffed for future demand. 2,000 employees took a severance or long-term time off which sets them up for a bounce-back in demand. Not so sure why this is so difficult to understand.

No. Every other airline has announced 20-30 percent layoffs. B6 has not.

Dont make it sound as if it is all the same.

This move may work well for them if demand bounces back or it may hobble them down the road if they wasted a hell of a lot of cash paying people to do nothing

So far, their expansion plans announced in June have fallen flat. So Im leaning towards that latter but hoping for the former

TheLunchbox

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:01 am

jfklganyc wrote:
TheLunchbox wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

They are ridiculously overstaffed right now, and they are not furloughing anyone. October is going to be a very slow month and this holiday season the slowest probably in history.

All airlines are overstaffed based on the CURRENT environment. JetBlue is staffed for future demand. 2,000 employees took a severance or long-term time off which sets them up for a bounce-back in demand. Not so sure why this is so difficult to understand.

No. Every other airline has announced 20-30 percent layoffs. B6 has not.

Dont make it sound as if it is all the same.

This move may work well for them if demand bounces back or it may hobble them down the road if they wasted a hell of a lot of cash paying people to do nothing

So far, their expansion plans announced in June have fallen flat. So Im leaning towards that latter but hoping for the former

Yeah, so again, JetBlue is staffed based on recovery assumption. It's a gamble of course.

trueblew

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:15 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
trueblew wrote:
More planes are scheduled to fly to long term storage in Arizona, two just this morning. I'd be surprised if we don't see some further drawdown of the schedule soon.

What does staffing have to do with sending planes to the desert? I brought it up because last I read they were planning to take planes out of long term storage.

CobaltScar

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:14 pm

trueblew wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
trueblew wrote:

What does staffing have to do with sending planes to the desert? I brought it up because last I read they were planning to take planes out of long term storage.

Because it shows the mismatch in flying and staffing. They are going to be left with a huge glut in staffing and the costs associated with that. They need to trim way more fat.

tphuang

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Look at OAG thread, B6 has not made any real reductions the past couple of weeks for September. FLL-PAP actually got a slight addition for Sep. I don't see another last minute cut for Sep like the large one we saw for August.

The Booking thread for this past week is showing NYC as having the best booking week since pandemic hit and BOS had the second best week. I'm guessing a lot of last minute Labor day weekend booking. i'm sure rest of sep and early oct are terrible. COVID situation in Florida has gotten better. So, I think bookings situation will continue to improve. It won't be linear recovery. There probably will be a "second wave" when cold weather hits and kids go back to school. AS has just reported improved bookings for August. UA added a bunch of non-hub Florida flights. I'm sure the airlines are seeing increase demand back for leisure destinations.

I think people were probably overly optimistic about market condition back in late June and people are probably overly pessimistic about it now.

NY is continuing its re-opening and hasn't seen case count or positive rate going up. People believing in NYC demise are going to be in a world of surprise if they visit here.

Miamiairport

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:26 pm

tphuang wrote:
Look at OAG thread, B6 has not made any real reductions the past couple of weeks for September. FLL-PAP actually got a slight addition for Sep. I don't see another last minute cut for Sep like the large one we saw for August.

The Booking thread for this past week is showing NYC as having the best booking week since pandemic hit and BOS had the second best week. I'm guessing a lot of last minute Labor day weekend booking. i'm sure rest of sep and early oct are terrible. COVID situation in Florida has gotten better. So, I think bookings situation will continue to improve. It won't be linear recovery. There probably will be a "second wave" when cold weather hits and kids go back to school. AS has just reported improved bookings for August. UA added a bunch of non-hub Florida flights. I'm sure the airlines are seeing increase demand back for leisure destinations.

I think people were probably overly optimistic about market condition back in late June and people are probably overly pessimistic about it now.

NY is continuing its re-opening and hasn't seen case count or positive rate going up. People believing in NYC demise are going to be in a world of surprise if they visit here.

If you're an airline you need to be ready when demand returns, particularly if it comes back quickly. Every airline is fighting for it's survival. An airline can always come back and cut planned adds if demand doesn't return.

tphuang

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:48 pm

Looks like JetBlue is adding JFK-HDN. Makes a lot of sense to me. Add more sub-daily seasonal stuff to leisure destinations while demand is there during this low demand period.

ytib

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:14 pm

tphuang wrote:
Looks like JetBlue is adding JFK-HDN. Makes a lot of sense to me. Add more sub-daily seasonal stuff to leisure destinations while demand is there during this low demand period.

Are they also keeping BOS and FLL to HDN?
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

tphuang

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:42 pm

ytib wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Yep
https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-s ... p-flights/
twice weekly from Dec 19th to Mar 27th

They are running out of new leisure routes they can try unless they decide to add a new station.

aemoreira1981

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:19 am

B6 can't get those BCS3s here fast enough. HDN seems like a station that would be a perfect fit for the A220-300. I'm surprised that FLL-HDN exists, unless HDN is the point of sale.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:20 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
B6 can't get those BCS3s here fast enough. HDN seems like a station that would be a perfect fit for the A220-300. I'm surprised that FLL-HDN exists, unless HDN is the point of sale.

It is FLL point of sale. South Florida is a massive outbound market for skiing. Vail’s second largest O&D market is Miami (and AA flies it daily). Miami-Vail is so large that AA even flew it in the summer, but the return back to Miami would need to stop in Denver so it proved inefficient. Miami is also a top five local market from Aspen, and if a plane could reasonably do it, somebody would be flying that route in a heartbeat.
a.

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:24 am

tphuang wrote:

Once they get past the vagrants, they are all good. NYC has an increasing homeless problem, an increasing crime problem, a lack of tourists, and a (temporary?) loss of population.

Not too late to turn around. But NYC is at a crossroads...now.

Nonw of this should affect JetBlue too much.

Firstly, even when New York City was at its worse in the 70s and 80s, they still had tourists. there’s even a movie about it with Steve Martin.

Second, How many people have relocated to Florida, a good chunk of people are now residing in the metro area suburbs or rural areas. Again like the 70s and 80s.

Thirdly, jetblue in NYC was never a business airline. they didn’t have LaGuardia slots to do it. Beyond mint, these conditions are perfect for a leisure airline to move forward.

I really do believe if Jetblue can survive the next several months as an independent entity, they are in a good spot going forward.

tphuang

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:57 am

NYC will be fine. City has been safest big city in America for several years. The jobs are all here. WFH won't last forever. None of my colleagues have moved away. Once pandemic is over, people who have been temporarily staying in their parent's suburban homes will be back.

There is no reason NYC leisure demand will recover slower than other cities once travel restrictions get lifted. VFR demand will be very hot. I see that they are going 2x daily to GYE during Christmas. I think they are missing out big time by not starting GEO/GUA sooner. JetBlue will be able to capture on that leisure recovery next year.

JetBlue needs to be flexible next couple of years. Maybe drop a couple of places where there is not enough demand and add some other places that are seeing more demand than previously.

Maybe they should add EGE to capture some of that skiing demand. EYW would definitely make sense. Maybe try TVC in the summer time.

phllax

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:22 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
It is FLL point of sale. South Florida is a massive outbound market for skiing. Vail’s second largest O&D market is Miami (and AA flies it daily). Miami-Vail is so large that AA even flew it in the summer, but the return back to Miami would need to stop in Denver so it proved inefficient.

Why would the 757 and then the 319 need to make a stop in Denver? Both should be able to do that in the summer.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 pm

phllax wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
It is FLL point of sale. South Florida is a massive outbound market for skiing. Vail’s second largest O&D market is Miami (and AA flies it daily). Miami-Vail is so large that AA even flew it in the summer, but the return back to Miami would need to stop in Denver so it proved inefficient.

Why would the 757 and then the 319 need to make a stop in Denver? Both should be able to do that in the summer.

Too hot. Can’t take off from Vail and make to Miami nonstop. Return was always scheduled to stop in Denver. I believe it sometimes would skip the stop.
a.

adamh8297

Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:00 pm

tphuang wrote:
ytib wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Yep
https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-s ... p-flights/
twice weekly from Dec 19th to Mar 27th

They are running out of new leisure routes they can try unless they decide to add a new station.

I got 3 they could try and #1 is a no-brainer.

1) BOS-ANU - Massport wants it!!!
2) BOS-CUR - ABC islands are popular in Greater Boston
3) BOS-SJO - largest market of the three but probably lowest yielding due to massive amount of 1-stop options.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

jfklganyc

Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:44 pm

They can give JFK BZN a whirl in the winter for ski season.

Brianpr3

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:58 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Brianpr3 wrote:
I saw jbu return to serving meals in mint wonder when snacks will return and drinks service not the baggies

How can they with all the covid hysteria? Think how many different little things the FA has to touch. They put lids (that you put your lips to) ON the coffee cops, they pluck stir sticks out for you with their fingers, they have to stick their hand into a narrow ice bucket that sits within inches of aisle passenger's heads with a short handled scooper and much much more.

All after cleaning the entire cabin by reaching into seat back pockets and crossing seatbelts that all the passengers have of course handled. Sure they wear gloves and wash their hands, but this is not a surgery room we are talking about.

It can be done even with their pantry, have them wear gloves hell even the buffets are making people wear gloves
Brian

flyguy1

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:41 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
They can give JFK BZN a whirl in the winter for ski season.

They are actually flying that route right now!
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

williaminsd

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:32 am

Boof02671 wrote:

FWIW... from The Motley Fool. JetBlue to London still on track. A week older than BI, nothing new. These guys get paid for this?

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2020 ... n-in-2021/

Dieuwer

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:36 am

williaminsd wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

FWIW... from The Motley Fool. JetBlue to London still on track. A week older than BI, nothing new. These guys get paid for this?

I ran a plagiarism checker on the Motley Fool article. About 90% of it is plagiarized.

williaminsd

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:21 am

Dieuwer wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

I ran a plagiarism checker on the Motley Fool article. About 90% of it is plagiarized.

Ha! I don't doubt that for a second...

Boof02671

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:55 pm

williaminsd wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

And here is an article from Business Insider saying the same. Google is your friend. And Hayes confirmed it to Bloomberg

JetBlue Airways CEO Robin Hayes confirmed to Bloomberg on Thursday that the airline's launch of transatlantic flights will be delayed to late-2021. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/jetblue ... 2020-8?amp

tphuang

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

And here is an article from Business Insider saying the same. Google is your friend. And Hayes confirmed it to Bloomberg

JetBlue Airways CEO Robin Hayes confirmed to Bloomberg on Thursday that the airline's launch of transatlantic flights will be delayed to late-2021. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE3faPPvES4
here is the interview. Check 8:50 to 9:00 mark. Again, he said it will be later in 2021 than they originally expected. He did not say "late 2021".

Based on their delivery, it's in their interest to start in the peak summer season. They expect TATL leisure demand to recover quite a bit in 2021. At around 10 minute mark, he said sometimes in Q3 and that they will expect LR delivery early in 2021. He said any delays will be more due to aircraft delivery delays or taking longer time to get ETOPS.

I don't quite understand why these articles keep saying late 2021 when RH never said that.

Boof02671

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:15 pm

tphuang wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
williaminsd wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE3faPPvES4
here is the interview. Check 8:50 to 9:00 mark. Again, he said it will be later in 2021 than they originally expected. He did not say "late 2021".

Based on their delivery, it's in their interest to start in the peak summer season. They expect TATL leisure demand to recover quite a bit in 2021. At around 10 minute mark, he said sometimes in Q3 and that they will expect LR delivery early in 2021. He said any delays will be more due to aircraft delivery delays or taking longer time to get ETOPS.

I don't quite understand why these articles keep saying late 2021 when RH never said that.

Delta just announced massive international cuts through October of 2021. I doubt international is going to rebound soon anytime. And there is still that pesky detail of slots at LHR

av8orwalk

JetBlue Continues Mint Expansion at EWR

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:00 pm

I didn’t see an announcement from B6 about this, but browsing flight schedules from EWR in October, I noticed Mint is now offered to Las Vegas and San Diego. This makes 4 Mint destinations out of EWR since LAX and SFO were added in July.

Mint service starts in mid October and is bookable on most days the routes are flown.

Cheers,
Drew
The safest place to be in an airplane crash is on the ground.

Nicknuzzii

Re: JetBlue Continues Mint Expansion at EWR

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:09 pm

av8orwalk wrote:
I didn’t see an announcement from B6 about this, but browsing flight schedules from EWR in October, I noticed Mint is now offered to Las Vegas and San Diego. This makes 4 Mint destinations out of EWR since LAX and SFO were added in July.

Mint service starts in mid October and is bookable on most days the routes are flown.

Cheers,
Drew

Thanks for sharing! I would love to see SEA and Caribbean mint routes added. Weird that there no announcement yet.

iamjoeym

Re: JetBlue Continues Mint Expansion at EWR

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 am

av8orwalk wrote:

Cheers,
Drew

Still don't know why there isn't a company announcement. We saw it in our October bid packets for Mint and were like what?!

tphuang

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:21 am

I see 2 possibilities.
1) This is a temporary change while other mint routes have reduced capacities
2) There will be another EWR expansion announced and this will be part of that announcement.

Nicknuzzii

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:36 am

tphuang wrote:
I see 2 possibilities.
2) There will be another EWR expansion announced and this will be part of that announcement.

I still can not believe we haven’t seen EWR-CUN added. I wouldn’t be surprised to see EWR-SEA added in the near future.

trueblew

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I see 2 possibilities.

I still can not believe we haven’t seen EWR-CUN added. I wouldn’t be surprised to see EWR-SEA added in the near future.

I'm surprised they haven't added CUN to a handful of northern outstations, if only a couple days per week.

tphuang

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:08 pm

Well, they have to try something different. Clearly, NYC and Boston right now don't have anywhere near the demand to even fly a 50% schedule. There is no sense having the aircraft just sitting around.

EWR-CUN seems obvious. So should some other island stuff.

tphuang

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:13 pm

With WN adding MIA and PSP, I wonder if JetBlue will add any new leisure destinations. Could they try DAB again? Could they try MIA? Could they try TLH or ECP? Will they add EYW soon?

Nicknuzzii

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:23 pm

tphuang wrote:
With WN adding MIA and PSP, I wonder if JetBlue will add any new leisure destinations. Could they try DAB again? Could they try MIA? Could they try TLH or ECP? Will they add EYW soon?

MIA would make a lot of sense for B6 despite FLL being up the road. They could easily run 2x to BOS/JFK/EWR and turn a profit.

tphuang

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:35 pm

Another week of silence so far from JetBlue. Looks like booking data for New York and Boston have picked up a little bit Florida has also improved a lot now that COVID case count is on decline over there. JetBlue is also the last major non-ULCC carrier to not have removed change fees.

I'm not too surprised that they are the last. One of the major draws of mosaic program is its no-change fees. JetBlue will need to figure out a way to enrich mosaic benefits when it does remove change fees for all non-BE tickets. Also as it works to conclude its partnership with AA, JetBlue will need to figure out what kind of benefits to provide AA ff and what kind of benefits mosaic members can have on AA. Maybe it needs to add another elite status level like Mosaic plus as it gets into the higher revenue TATL flights. Maybe it needs to give benefits of a couple of mint upgrades a year for blue plus tickets purchased by mosaic members. More conformable upgrades by mosaic members into EMS seats would be good. On top of that, blue plus loses its value if regular blue allows free changes. So they will need to figure out what additional value to provide to blue plus fares.

And network wise, they were quite aggressive earlier on as June bookings were improving. Now with September bookings picking up, they probably should examine how to best come out of this. Maybe they need to make some more out of box moves like what WN did or what UA has done this past week. Those aircraft will most likely just keep sitting on the ground if they are waiting for NY bookings to come back the next couple of months.

BravoEcho757

JetBlue Advancing Focus City Strategy (New Route Announcements)

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am

Normally I don't subscribe to anything without substance but I am flying out of BOS today and the JetBlue people working my gate are chatting about new routes to be announced today. I did a search and didn't find anything but please delete if this has already been addressed. I'm eavesdropping as I type this :devil:
Last edited by atcsundevil on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

FlyinRabbit88

Re: JetBlue Announcement 9/10/20?

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:10 am

The press release just dropped a few minutes ago.
Really surprised at some of the routes to be honest.... hopefully some of these routes last and the demand starts coming back.

http://blueir.investproductions.com/inv ... -120017701

New Routes

The new markets announced today maximize revenue potential across JetBlue’s existing domestic and international network by:

Introducing all-new nonstop destinations from four JetBlue focus cities, plus expanded Mint service in Newark and Los Angeles.
Growing JetBlue’s New York City presence in Newark with more than a half dozen new routes to the Caribbean.
Building out the airline’s new Los Angeles focus city with expanded domestic and – for the first time in JetBlue’s history – international service at LAX.
Offering unique, new nonstop western U.S. destinations from Fort Lauderdale not served by any other airline.
Connecting a variety of new city pairs across the Southeast, Florida, the West Coast and the Caribbean and Latin America.
Advancing JetBlue’s position as the transcontinental leader with new markets never served coast-to-coast by the airline.

ADVANCING THE FOCUS CITY STRATEGY

Service between Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) and:
Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)*
Launching November 19, 2020 | 1x daily | MINT on select flights
Cancún International Airport (CUN)*
Launching November 19, 2020 | 2x daily
Montego Bay, Jamaica Sangster International Airport (MBJ)*
Launching November 19, 2020 | 1x daily
Nassau, Bahamas Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)*
Turks and Caicos Providenciales International Airport (PLS)*
Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ)*
Sint Maarten Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM)*
Service between Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and:
Charleston International Airport (CHS)
Launching December 18, 2020 | 1x daily
Liberia, Costa Rica Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport (LIR)*
Launching December 18, 2020 | 2x weekly | MINT on select flights
Palm Beach International Airport (PBI)
Raleigh–Durham International Airport (RDU)
Richmond International Airport (RIC)
San José, Costa Rica Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO)*
Service between Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) and:
Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport (BZN)
Launching December 18, 2020 | 2x weekly
Palm Springs International Airport (PSP)
Launching December 18, 2020 | 2x weekly
Service between San Juan Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU) and:
MORE FLORIDA FLYING

Service between Tampa International Airport (TPA) and:
Service between Fort Myers Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) and:
LARGER IN LATIN AMERICA & THE CARIBBEAN

Service between Cancún International Airport (CUN) and:
Raleigh–Durham International Airport (RDU)*
San Francisco International Airport (SFO)*
Service between Montego Bay, Jamaica Sangster International Airport (MBJ) and:
Raleigh–Durham International Airport (RDU)*
EXPANDING TRANSCON COMFORT

Service between Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS) and:

lga31vfr

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:23 am

FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
The press release just dropped a few minutes ago.
Really surprised at some of the routes to be honest.... hopefully some of these routes last and the demand starts coming back.

if it was anything like their last route announcement, I'd say a good chunk of these routes will either be reduced or won't last whereas others will be a success. Not really sure if I agree with the approach B6 takes to new routes but I wish them the best. I'd say most of the stuff out of Newark might be a struggle. Competing with UA under Scott Kirby is not gonna be easy. I think B6 might need to consider dropping ticket change fees if they expect to go into the competitors lair and be successful.

Where are the Newark gates coming from?

MINT to Cancun? Really?

IdlewildJFK

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:34 am

tphuang wrote:
Another week of silence so far from JetBlue. Looks like booking data for New York and Boston have picked up a little bit Florida has also improved a lot now that COVID case count is on decline over there. JetBlue is also the last major non-ULCC carrier to not have removed change fees.

I'm not too surprised that they are the last. One of the major draws of mosaic program is its no-change fees. JetBlue will need to figure out a way to enrich mosaic benefits when it does remove change fees for all non-BE tickets. Also as it works to conclude its partnership with AA, JetBlue will need to figure out what kind of benefits to provide AA ff and what kind of benefits mosaic members can have on AA. Maybe it needs to add another elite status level like Mosaic plus as it gets into the higher revenue TATL flights. Maybe it needs to give benefits of a couple of mint upgrades a year for blue plus tickets purchased by mosaic members. More conformable upgrades by mosaic members into EMS seats would be good. On top of that, blue plus loses its value if regular blue allows free changes. So they will need to figure out what additional value to provide to blue plus fares.

And network wise, they were quite aggressive earlier on as June bookings were improving. Now with September bookings picking up, they probably should examine how to best come out of this. Maybe they need to make some more out of box moves like what WN did or what UA has done this past week. Those aircraft will most likely just keep sitting on the ground if they are waiting for NY bookings to come back the next couple of months.

This AM’s press release answered a few of these.

joeblow10

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:36 am

Wow - with every additional announcement AS, WN, and B6 are taking the rest of the industry for a ride in terms of expansion domestically. We’ll see if it works long term, but good to see

Midwestindy

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:37 am

Wow, Network planning departments at airlines are really going for it.

RDU-CUN/MBJ/RSW/SJU/LAX
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

CRJ5000

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:43 am

Probably one of the more interesting domestic route announcements I've seen since covid started. I hope that a lot of these stick around and do well for B6. Kudos to them for trying something different rather than just adding frequencies to saturated routes like a lot of airlines seem to be doing.

avi8

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:48 am

Wow: I’m in shock. CUN became a focus city all by itself. With the precious adds and the CUN flight, TPA is becoming a significant spoke.
avi8

Nicknuzzii

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:54 am

Is EWR a focus city yet?

lga31vfr

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:09 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Wow - with every additional announcement AS, WN, and B6 are taking the rest of the industry for a ride in terms of expansion domestically. We’ll see if it works long term, but good to see

Is it realty expansion? They still have all these jets sitting around idle that need to fly somewhere. Also, I think their still putting their eggs all in one basket, or in this case, all in one region, that being the eastern seaboard. JetBlue is going to continue to get slammed during inclement weather on the east coast and in turn the customers will get slammed. It would be nice to see B6 add a focus city in a place thats not always affected by east coast weather. LIke you said, we'll see long term what stays and what doesnt.

The July/August domestic expansion I don't think has turned out like they hoped. Two months in and a lot of that flying has been cut and eliminated.
Last edited by lga31vfr on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tphuang

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:22 pm

It's not a surprise to me that they would announce more routes. JFK and BOS demands are still very low and they've committed to no furlough until May, so might as well try some new routes to see what stick around. Like other airlines, they are just trying to get additional revenue anyway they can.

EWR to island stuff are obvious adds after the domestic routes were announced. All those routes do well out of JFK. I'm sure when the time comes, the capacity level will have to get trimmed to demand. I'd say they are the most likely to stick around in some format. I also expect BGI to become daily.

LAX stuff are all probably part of their originally planned LAX expansion. I'd think they were planning to add them further down the road. But given the continued weakness in northeast, they are trying some new stuff. I'd say most of these are likely to stick around too. Although, I doubt they actually operate at the announced capacity levels anytime soon.

FLL-PSP/BZN are all quite ambitious. I'm not sure how long these stick around.

The RDU stuff are interesting. I've been advocating that they create a focus city there. I'm surprised MCO and TPA aren't part of the announcement. We will see what sticks around.

SFO-CUN is quite ambitious given their lack of presence there.

TPA is getting a lot of love from them recently. Again, not sure how much of it sticks around.

RIC stuff is interesting. A smaller market where they have decent presence and WN has not much presence. Not harm in trying this out. I am quite surprised by RIC-LAS. That came out of nowhere.

lga31vfr

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:27 pm

tphuang wrote:
It's not a surprise to me that they would announce more routes. JFK and BOS demands are still very low and they've committed to no furlough until May, so might as well try some new routes to see what stick around. Like other airlines, they are just trying to get additional revenue anyway they can.

EWR to island stuff are obvious adds after the domestic routes were announced. All those routes do well out of JFK. I'm sure when the time comes, the capacity level will have to get trimmed to demand. I'd say they are the most likely to stick around in some format. I also expect BGI to become daily.

LAX stuff are all probably part of their originally planned LAX expansion. I'd think they were planning to add them further down the road. But given the continued weakness in northeast, they are trying some new stuff. I'd say most of these are likely to stick around too. Although, I doubt they actually operate at the announced capacity levels anytime soon.

FLL-PSP/BZN are all quite ambitious. I'm not sure how long these stick around.

The RDU stuff are interesting. I've been advocating that they create a focus city there. I'm surprised MCO and TPA aren't part of the announcement. We will see what sticks around.

SFO-CUN is quite ambitious given their lack of presence there.

TPA is getting a lot of love from them recently. Again, not sure how much of it sticks around.

RIC stuff is interesting. A smaller market where they have decent presence and WN has not much presence. Not harm in trying this out. I am quite surprised by RIC-LAS. That came out of nowhere.

They need to stop being so east coast centric. There's more to the USA than just whats on the east coast.

CobaltScar

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:43 pm

Seems like the other baby threads about the network announcements need to be merged into here.

At what point does United get worried about these big B6 expansions into LAX and especially EWR? I sure do know who i'd rather fly on routes out of these cities, and its not back in coach on a United plane.