Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tphuang

Re: JetBlue Network Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:31 pm

The issue with Florida was not just it’s own restrictions but other states quarantine against them. Which should go away as it’s case count gets brought down.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:43 pm

November schedule got the axe. I only looked at EWR and it seems they are flying about 31 flights on peak days or about 55% of capacity (by amount of flights not seats).

izbtmnhd

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Eh, while I agree B6 doesn’t have to have a Midwest focus city it still needs to do better job of serving the markets it has in the region.

I mean FLL-PSP, RIC-LAS, CHS-LAX and even some of the BDL stuff are long and thin.

It’s almost feels like the airline doubling down on not serving the middle of the country through this “expansion”. Will be interesting to see if the strategy will work. I’m not too optimistic myself.

CobaltScar

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
November schedule got the axe. I only looked at EWR and it seems they are flying about 31 flights on peak days or about 55% of capacity (by amount of flights not seats).

Well bidding for November opens up in a couple days so makes sense the cuts go in now.

tphuang

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm

On LHR stuff, if the source is good, then I think we will see JetBlue announce it before the earnings call. It could come as early as this week. We are under 9 months away from start of next summer season, when I expect them to start European flights. It's about the right time to announce your plans.

izbtmnhd wrote:
Eh, while I agree B6 doesn’t have to have a Midwest focus city it still needs to do better job of serving the markets it has in the region.

I mean FLL-PSP, RIC-LAS, CHS-LAX and even some of the BDL stuff are long and thin.

It’s almost feels like the airline doubling down on not serving the middle of the country through this “expansion”. Will be interesting to see if the strategy will work. I’m not too optimistic myself.

To be fair, they have added JFK-DTW/DFW/MSP, EWR-AUS, CLE-RSW, ORD/PIT-PBI/FLL in the past few months. It's hard to expand to places in the middle of the country from places like LAX, BDL, EWR, RDU when they are relatively small there. When building new stations, you want to start off with places where you have some brand recognition. What you will likely see them do is keep adding to midwest from JFK/BOS, since that's where they have point of sale and can enter new markets. They've already done that out of JFK and you will see more once the deal with AA goes into an effect.

I think stations like STL/IND/CMH will be added. But it cost money to open new stations, so they will want to first try to complete their JFK/LGA network to places like CLE/PIT first..

tphuang

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Looks like November schedule may have adjusted a little more on Sunday. I took a look at their peak departures from late November (after those route launches on Nov 18) and compared to what I think they ran in 2019 at this time of year on peak days
JFK - 91 (150 to 155?)
BOS - 90 (170 to 175)
FLL - 64 (100 to 105)
MCO - 41 (65)
EWR - 37 (25 to 30)
LAX - 29 ( 18 + 22 at LGB)
PBI - 22 (25 to 30)
TPA - 18 (15)
HPN - 9 (11)
LGA - 6 (16)

Obviously, things could still change from this point, but it's interesting to see that domestic to Florida capacity is coming back again after the initial late June additions and then subsequent reductions. The major Florida stations are all running at or over 60% of their regular flight count and in some cases even approaching the pre-COVID flight count. In the case of TPA, looks like they are making an effort to grow there. Or maybe that's just where demand has come back the fastest. I do see the attention in central Florida shifting from MCO to TPA a little bit.

The higher than previous capacity at EWR and LAX will surprise no one. I suppose LAX numbers will go even higher once those December routes get added. EWR numbers would also be higher if the islands opened up a little more.

Interesting enough, it's JFK/LGA and BOS that are probably running the least % of flight that they did pre-pandemic. And it's actually happening for different reasons. BOS has seen it's leisure/transcon capacity come back, but the short haul business stuff to NYC/PHL/DC area have been cut to 8 flights a day from about 50 flights. That seems like an area where demand will remain low for a while. For JFK, the non-VFR Caribbean capacity is still stuck at very low levels. It seems like aside from CUN and AUA, the travel restrictions are definitely still draining leisure demand to most of the islands.

Overall, I'd say they still have around 2/3 of their 2019 capacity scheduled in for second half of November on peak days. If most of that holds up by final cut, then they are doing pretty well.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:22 am

Lots of EWR increases compared to October. EWR-RSW/TPA/PBI each see 3x daily on peak days.

Now the big question mark comes whether JetBlue will continued to block middle seats. If not, this is a lot of capacity compared to October. Do I think they can still operate these flights profitably? Yes.

usflyer msp

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:29 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Lots of EWR increases compared to October. EWR-RSW/TPA/PBI each see 3x daily on peak days.

Now the big question mark comes whether JetBlue will continued to block middle seats. If not, this is a lot of capacity compared to October. Do I think they can still operate these flights profitably? Yes.

No carrier that is blocking middle seats is going to make money. Airline margins are thin in the best of times so there is no way an airline can make money retaining most of its costs with only 2/3 at best of its revenue.

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:46 am

Who blinks first, or last depending, on not booking the middle seats?? I am of the thought that B6 gives up on the middle seat being blocked soon....

IdlewildJFK

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:33 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
Who blinks first, or last depending, on not booking the middle seats?? I am of the thought that B6 gives up on the middle seat being blocked soon....

I predict this as well. I’d guess they would go to a % blocked system first. Say they go very conservative at first to avoid backlash - like 70% (I know it’s not much more than the bus is now, though it would be on the 190)

Then a ramp up to 75%, then 80% ect. Trying to balance customer sentiment with any revenue that maybe out there.

I could see them being the first to blink but last to completely phase out.

I think the current Oct 15th date will not be extended since we are just over two weeks away - and other extensions were done a month out or more. 70% from oct 16 to nov 30. Then maybe 75% for December and 80% for Jan, but only announcing one change at a time.
Last edited by IdlewildJFK on Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tphuang

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Keep in mind that operating flights profitably vs being cash positive on flights are different. They should be cash positive on these flights, since that doesn't account for the huge fixed costs they have. Otherwise, they will just trim the schedule further. It's hard to be profitable overall unless they start to stop blocking middle seat.

The good news is that these EWR-Florida would point to more capacity vs pre-pandemic once leisure demand is back closer to 2019 levels. For example, I think RSW/TPA were both 2x for large portion of 2019 and PBI was at most 3x.

airbazar

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

They're not really blocking middle seats and never have It's more marketing than reality.
I flew with B6 this past Summer and had an aisle seat. To my surprise when I arrived at my seat someone was sitting in the middle seat next to me. Turns out they were a couple who had picked seats in rows A and B, and I was sitting in C.
So while it's possible that people traveling alone may be blocked from getting middle seats, that is absolutely not the case for reservations with more than 1 traveler.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:30 pm

airbazar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

They're not really blocking middle seats and never have It's more marketing than reality.
I flew with B6 this past Summer and had an aisle seat. To my surprise when I arrived at my seat someone was sitting in the middle seat next to me. Turns out they were a couple who had picked seats in rows A and B, and I was sitting in C.
So while it's possible that people traveling alone may be blocked from getting middle seats, that is absolutely not the case for reservations with more than 1 traveler.

That had to be a mistake most likely on the couples part. They were probably seated in separate rows but elected to sit together. On all 4 of my B6 flights this summer every middle seat was empty.

jfklganyc

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:39 pm

https://www.jetblue.com/safety

And just like that seat policy is changed.

70 percent now, no more specific seat blocking

CobaltScar

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

That had to be a mistake most likely on the couples part. They were probably seated in separate rows but elected to sit together. On all 4 of my B6 flights this summer every middle seat was empty.

No, parties traveling together can sit together.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:04 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Yes but let’s say they were traveling on a blue basic fare than they didn’t get to pick seats and were probably seated separately.

airbazar

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Yes but let’s say they were traveling on a blue basic fare than they didn’t get to pick seats and were probably seated separately.

It doesn't matter how they ended up there. If a passenger is allowed to chose a middle seat then by its exact definition, the seat is not blocked. It's marketing and nothing else.

tphuang

Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 pm

Waiting for more details to come out, but looks like JetBlue is taking the loans from CARES act. I assume this is because they can get better rates from the treasury vs in the private market. There will probably be some restrictions on CEO compensation, stock buybacks and such, but I don't care about that. Maybe they will also have to fly a few routes that they don't want to. They don't have as much debts as most other airlines and would need the money to get through the worst case contingencies.

One other thing. It looks like JetBlue has set the start date for JFK-GEO/GUA to April 28th.

jomur

Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:25 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Not sure if this was previously known, but in JetBlue's response to Aer Lingus joining the IAG/AA/AY joint venture, JetBlue states it's requesting at least four daily LHR slot pairs to "meaningfully serve the U.S.-LHR market and provide a desperately-needed competitive alternative to the oneworld and SkyTeam immunized JVs"

https://beta.regulations.gov/document/D ... -0252-3445

Considering Aer Lingus doesn't fly TATL from LHR why should they get free slots? If they are really serious in wanting to fly from LHR then pay for the slots like everyone else.

MIflyer12

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:49 pm

tphuang wrote:
Waiting for more details to come out, but looks like JetBlue is taking the loans from CARES act. I assume this is because they can get better rates from the treasury vs in the private market. There will probably be some restrictions on CEO compensation, stock buybacks and such, but I don't care about that. Maybe they will also have to fly a few routes that they don't want to. They don't have as much debts as most other airlines and would need the money to get through the worst case contingencies.

One other thing. It looks like JetBlue has set the start date for JFK-GEO/GUA to April 28th.

Confirmed by a Treasury press release:

September 29, 2020
WASHINGTON – Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury announced that it has closed loans to seven large passenger air carriers under Division A, Title IV, Subtitle A of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

The seven air carriers are Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, SkyWest Airlines, and United Airlines.

There will be details published:

It requires borrowers to provide warrants, equity interests, or senior debt instruments as appropriate taxpayer compensation. Participating borrowers must also commit to certain requirements under the CARES Act regarding the maintenance of employment levels and limiting employee compensation, dividends, and share repurchases. The loan agreements are published on Treasury’s website within 72 hours of each closing.

IdlewildJFK

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:06 pm

tphuang wrote:

Tphuang - I know you have done this in the past after the weekly OAG update, and if it’s not too much trouble, could you give an update on where B6 stands with the latest November schedule in terms of peak departures per day out of the 3 NYC airports, and BOS?

I have no clue how much work that would be for you so I understand if it’s not possible. And since I’m asking for a lot, if it is easy to do, adding where the other major competitors are in their respective airport hub to compare to B6 would be very interesting. November maybe tricky since the day with the peak flights would almost certainly be near Thanksgiving but may not reflect the true numbers for the month. Not sure if holiday numbers or just a random day from the middle of the month would work better.

Like I said I saw you do this early in the pandemic and thought it was very helpful to see how each airline is recovering in the hard hit NYC/BOS markets.

Thanks if you can make it happen, understand if you can’t.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:14 pm

IdlewildJFK wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Tphuang - I know you have done this in the past after the weekly OAG update, and if it’s not too much trouble, could you give an update on where B6 stands with the latest November schedule in terms of peak departures per day out of the 3 NYC airports, and BOS?

I have no clue how much work that would be for you so I understand if it’s not possible. And since I’m asking for a lot, if it is easy to do, adding where the other major competitors are in their respective airport hub to compare to B6 would be very interesting. November maybe tricky since the day with the peak flights would almost certainly be near Thanksgiving but may not reflect the true numbers for the month. Not sure if holiday numbers or just a random day from the middle of the month would work better.

Like I said I saw you do this early in the pandemic and thought it was very helpful to see how each airline is recovering in the hard hit NYC/BOS markets.

This is from his post so I give him all the credit;

JFK - 91 (150 to 155?)
BOS - 90 (170 to 175)
FLL - 64 (100 to 105)
MCO - 41 (65)
EWR - 37 (25 to 30)
PBI - 22 (25 to 30)
TPA - 18 (15)
HPN - 9 (11)
LGA - 6 (16)

IdlewildJFK

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:45 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
IdlewildJFK wrote:
tphuang wrote:

This is from his post so I give him all the credit;

JFK - 91 (150 to 155?)
BOS - 90 (170 to 175)
FLL - 64 (100 to 105)
MCO - 41 (65)
EWR - 37 (25 to 30)
PBI - 22 (25 to 30)
TPA - 18 (15)
HPN - 9 (11)
LGA - 6 (16)

Well now I feel stupid. It was right there and I missed it. Thanks for reposting and thanks to tphaung for doing it.

tphuang

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:22 pm

Alright, JetBlue filed 8-K this morning on details of its agreement with Treasury http://otp.investis.com/generic/sec/sec ... 3&Type=PDF

Looks like the loan is up to $1.14 billion and they've drawn $115 million so fr. Interest rate is LIBOR + 1%.

On top of that, looks like they got an additional $27.1 million from Treasury as part of PSP. Not sure why that came about.

hbernal1

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:11 am

Where would B6 have to reopen now that they've gotten the loan?

lightsaber

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Looks like JetBlue has LHR slots:
https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/jetblue ... rvice/?amp

But a delayed start. I will happily fly to see family in Boston and continue onto LHR on JetBlue.

Lightsaber

IdlewildJFK

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:08 pm

hbernal1 wrote:
Where would B6 have to reopen now that they've gotten the loan?

I don’t think anywhere. Every closure was either part of a blanket exception (airports near other large airports, such as BWI) or part of specific awarded ones (such as ORH).

I don’t believe B6 closed anything “extra” on Oct 1, so any closure they did have was already approved.

And I’m not sure the loan (as opposed to the grant), even requires min service but I’m not 100% on that.

OzarkD9S

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:12 pm

lightsaber wrote:

But a delayed start. I will happily fly to see family in Boston and continue onto LHR on JetBlue.

Lightsaber

Is there any mention, anywhere, of how many slot pairs B6 has picked up at LHR?

SurfandSnow

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:30 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

It will be very interesting to see what happens. They have the FFer base (and hub connectivity) at BOS and JFK. Lately, they have shown an interest in BDL and EWR. Even something like PVD could be a possible transatlantic gateway, if only seasonally and several years down the line. It's not like B6 is a stranger to pulling off service to challenging foreign markets.

RL757PVD

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:34 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

It will be very interesting to see what happens. They have the FFer base (and hub connectivity) at BOS and JFK. Lately, they have shown an interest in BDL and EWR. Even something like PVD could be a possible transatlantic gateway, if only seasonally and several years down the line. It's not like B6 is a stranger to pulling off service to challenging foreign markets.

PVD nor BDL are realistically worthy of an LHR slot and both would need some sort of connecting feed/flow on one end or the other to sustain.

BlueBaller

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:46 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

JetBlue has so much riding on their European ambitions that they would likely never consider TATL from anything other BOS, JFK, and then FLL. EWR could be a likely 4th gateway depending on how well they build the station up. The only time PVD ever got any love overseas was from European carriers, not the other way around. And they were satellite and niche markets like Dublin and the Azores. London would be close to improbable from PVD given their ultimate BOS strategy with western Europe.

hbernal1

Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:20 pm

I'm just happy to know that LAX-BOS-LHR will become a possibility on B6. Maybe with the A220s, I can fly SNA-BOS-LHR if Orange County decides to grant B6 some slots at SNA.

nine4nine

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:51 pm

hbernal1 wrote:
I'm just happy to know that LAX-BOS-LHR will become a possibility on B6. Maybe with the A220s, I can fly SNA-BOS-LHR if Orange County decides to grant B6 some slots at SNA.

You mean if B6 requests slots from SNA?

Being in the area as well I would love this. To be be able to do SNA-BOS/JFK-LHR

TheLunchbox

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:22 pm

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

While I'm sure they have indeed secured LHR slots, nothing in that article confirms it. Airways Magazine is only a notch above Simple Flying and that isn't saying much.

ytib

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:31 pm

TheLunchbox wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

While I'm sure they have indeed secured LHR slots, nothing in that article confirms it. Airways Magazine is only a notch above Simple Flying and that isn't saying much.

I wouldn't trust anything until there is an 8K filing with the SEC for the slots.

tphuang

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:17 am

They said they were on the waiting list for SNA slots a while back I assume they've been passing it all this time because they hadn't had the right aircraft to do transcon from there. So, that's where A220 would fit in. The problem is that they have so many routes now that would work really well with A220-300 and they are only going to have 8 by the end of next year. Which means, SNA is mostly a 2022 event or even later. It seems like there are so many obvious airport that they should add. But with COVID hitting cash flow and TATL flying coming next year, they are going to not be able to add all the domestic and Latam markets they should be adding. And that's assuming GUA/GEO are going ahead in Q2 of next year. I'd love to see SNA-BOS/JFK though. They are going to really be able to win some of that west coast to Europe market with aggressive pricing.

As for LHR, I'd be delighted if they can get 4 slot pairs to start off (2 for JFK and 2 for BOS). Any additional slot pairs they get should be used to pad JFK schedule and maybe have 1 for FLL when XLR is available. It'd be curious to see how many of the European airlines would be willing to sell/lease their slots with COVID and Brexit hitting demand. Maybe Etihad would be willing to lease 1 or 2. Let' s wait a little longer to see. No need for JetBlue to announce it too early.

hbernal1

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:18 am

nine4nine wrote:
hbernal1 wrote:

You mean if B6 requests slots from SNA?

Being in the area as well I would love this. To be be able to do SNA-BOS/JFK-LHR

Yes, that’s more what I meant. I’m very close to UCI so it would be incredibly convenient if B6 opens a station there. It’s a real pain to head up to LAX when I fly to FLL every winter to visit family so if B6 offered 1x SNA-BOS/FLL/JFK that would be amazing (for me).

Iggy500

Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Well everyone, the final B6 Departure from LGB is today. Hopefully LAX will be the right move for B6's west coast operations. Also, just to make sure, when B6 makes LAX their new SoCal Focus City, almost all the other airlines in Terminal 5 will eventually move to the new midfield terminal, is that right?

tphuang

Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:58 pm

I think there are 15 gates at T5 after the reconfig. AA has lease on 5 of them. If all other airlines move out, B6 could theoretically access the remaining 10. Although, I doubt they are getting all of that off the bat. My guess is they go from 3 exclusive gate they have now to 6 once NK moves out. The remaining 4 gates are CUTE. If the ULCCs move out, they can share access to those with AA and HA. I found that AA rarely used CUTE gates pre-pandemic so I doubt they will really use them now. So it could just be B6 and HA using those 4 CUTE gates most of the time. That's probably how they got to the planned 75 flight operation. Again, this also depends on whether HA or other ULCCs move to MSC. I assume they are, but we will see.

wnflyguy

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:21 pm

Bye JetBlue thanks for the hundreds of rides to work from LGB. You will be missed !

Flyguy

tphuang

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:29 am

A couple of notes from this week:
- BUR/ONT/SJC/ORH/SWF/BWI have now officially been taken off the schedule until April. Still quite surprised by BUR.
- FLL-CUN got increased to 2x in December. The CUN demand is quite off the chart.
- JFK-ACK is running 3x weekly in Nov/Dec. Quite unexpected at this time of the year
- Latam has now blanked out booking for JFK-GYE until next year. Which means, they are probably gone until at least April/May of next year. Imo, good chance they cancel this route. Which would be great for JetBlue.

jfklganyc

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:56 am

tphuang wrote:
- BUR/ONT/SJC/ORH/SWF/BWI have now officially been taken off the schedule until April. Still quite surprised by BUR.
- FLL-CUN got increased to 2x in December. The CUN demand is quite off the chart.
- JFK-ACK is running 3x weekly in Nov/Dec. Quite unexpected at this time of the year
- Latam has now blanked out booking for JFK-GYE until next year. Which means, they are probably gone until at least April/May of next year. Imo, good chance they cancel this route. Which would be great for JetBlue.

NYers are staying at their second homes (in this case ACK). Anyone with means that wants out of the city...left

Brickell305

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:06 am

tphuang wrote:

CUN is about to get hit by a category 4 hurricane. I don’t have faith that increase will stick.

phllax

Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:26 am

tphuang wrote:

BUR and ONT will operate around Christmas according to this week’s OAG thread.

TheLunchbox

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:09 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

CUN is about to get hit by a category 4 hurricane. I don’t have faith that increase will stick.

You mean CAT 2 hurricane. Property damage will be minimal, especially for the resorts. Minor blip on the radar.

CaptCoolHand

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:28 pm

TheLunchbox wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

You mean CAT 2 hurricane. Property damage will be minimal, especially for the resorts. Minor blip on the radar.

Agree, the party will be on for friday.

tphuang

Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:06 pm

The JetBlue LAX focus city officially starts today.
Here is an article on TPG for this https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-l ... ights-lgb/

Interesting quote from Scott Laurence “For us, LAX is the new world and we’re burning [all] our chips,”

Unlike EWR, JetBlue knows building up LAX is going to cost a lot of resources. They are ready to go all in here. How they do in LAX is really going to affect the rest of their network. A really costly LAX expansion will prevent them from expanding elsewhere. A more successful LAX where they gain more corporate contracts and bicoastal ff will make the rest of their network more profitable and give them the resources to build up in more places.

Laurence told TPG that early flight bookings for its new LAX flights “look great.” This comes during COVID-19 and in the face of new competition; both Alaska and Delta have already added flights in some of JetBlue’s new markets.

another note. I'm not sure what they are base expectations here are. EWR-LAX does look like it's doing really well. Can't say the same about the west coast stuff.

jplatts

Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:38 pm

tphuang wrote:
Unlike EWR, JetBlue knows building up LAX is going to cost a lot of resources. They are ready to go all in here. How they do in LAX is really going to affect the rest of their network. A really costly LAX expansion will prevent them from expanding elsewhere. A more successful LAX where they gain more corporate contracts and bicoastal ff will make the rest of their network more profitable and give them the resources to build up in more places.

Here are the Q3 2019 PDEW's out of Greater Los Angeles to some top contiguous U.S. markets that B6 doesn't currently serve nonstop from LAX:
  • LA-CHI - 3875
  • LA-DFW/DAL - 3344
  • LA-DEN - 3262
  • LA-SMF - 2988
  • LA-WAS - 2957
  • LA-PDX - 2799
  • LA-ATL - 1931
  • LA-IAH/HOU - 1850
  • LA-PHL - 1343
  • LA-MSP - 1315
  • LA-DTW - 1126
  • LA-BNA - 889
  • LA-CLE - 566
  • LA-CLT - 509
  • LA-PIT - 448

Unlike AA, DL, WN, or UA who can offer connections to contiguous U.S. destinations that they do not serve nonstop from LAX, B6 isn't able to offer connections from LAX to of the most contiguous U.S. markets that it doesn't serve nonstop from LAX and almost all of the connecting options that B6 is offering from LAX to U.S. destinations outside of New England, Puerto Rico, or USVI require significant backtracking. B6 is limited in the amount of market share that it will be able to capture in the LA market due to the limited connectivity offered to markets that it doesn't serve nonstop from LAX.

Most of the top domestic routes that B6 doesn't currently serve nonstop from LAX also already have nonstop service out of LAX on multiple airlines.

Once demand for domestic air travel recovers, B6 does have opportunities to add nonstop service out of LAX to domestic destinations such as CLT, CLE, DTW, MSP, PHL, and PIT that do not have the amount of nonstop competition that routes such as LAX-CHI/DFW/DAL/DEN/WAS have. LAX-CLT also currently lacks any nonstop competition, unlike most of the other top nonstop routes that B6 doesn't currently serve nonstop from LAX.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm

tphuang wrote:
Here is an article on TPG for this https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-l ... ights-lgb/

Interesting quote from Scott Laurence “For us, LAX is the new world and we’re burning [all] our chips,”

Laurence told TPG that early flight bookings for its new LAX flights “look great.” This comes during COVID-19 and in the face of new competition; both Alaska and Delta have already added flights in some of JetBlue’s new markets.

another note. I'm not sure what they are base expectations here are. EWR-LAX does look like it's doing really well. Can't say the same about the west coast stuff.

Small little thing about EWR. Last week Laurence noted that the new EWR flights to the West coast were outperforming the other routes during this time. I would assume that means EWR-SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/PHX.

tphuang

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:06 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Small little thing about EWR. Last week Laurence noted that the new EWR flights to the West coast were outperforming the other routes during this time. I would assume that means EWR-SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/PHX.

I think he was comparing it to other adds they've made so far. That shouldn't be surprising. The destinations they added out of EWR were generally high performers out of JFK. And I fully expect the island stuff to also do well once some of these travel restrictions get loosened.

At this point, EWR-LAX looks like one of their top performing routes overall. They are running as many flights as UA during peak days in November and they are pricing those J seating a lot higher than UA in most cases. This could become the second most profitable route in their system after JFK-LAX if they can find enough mint aircraft. EWR-SFO is more of a struggle. They are just 1x daily in November. EWR-LAS looks to be doing fairly well also. And I think once the AA partnership gets finalized, they are going to be able to fill some of these routes like EWR-PHX/AUS/SAN with AA ff.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos