Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VCVSpotter

Re: JetBlue Network Thread - 2020

Wed May 06, 2020 7:31 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
So it looks like tomorrow jetblue is going to do a NYC flyover at 7pm with its 3 NY themed 320s. According to the email sent out about it this fly over is coming at no cost to jetblue

Yup, here's a link that provides a few more details

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/foll ... -on-7-may/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell Qantas A380s/744s

CaptainObvious1

Wed May 06, 2020 9:16 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
So it looks like tomorrow jetblue is going to do a NYC flyover at 7pm with its 3 NY themed 320s. According to the email sent out about it this fly over is coming at no cost to jetblue

Who will be covering the cost of the flights?

jfklganyc

Wed May 06, 2020 10:06 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
TPA puzzles me.

Try to book a flight this week. Full full full.

This is not a city to cut

Flights were being sold for $18.[/quote

You understand that 3 weeks ago you could have paid people $18 and the plane would have been empty right?

But if it makes you feel better B6 is offering a connection via Bos for $253

Or the next date the flight is flying that isnt sold out $199 for the non stop one way.

maverick4002

Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 pm

FARmd90 wrote:

routing?

UWPAviation

Wed May 06, 2020 11:36 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
FLL and Florida will be just fine

VFR will be fine too

You know what is going to happen when this opens up? People are going to want to travel. But they are going to want to travel to “safe” “familiar” “close” places.

No place in the US fits the bill better than Florida.

As for VFR, I keep flying 100 Dominicans around in throes of a pandemic. VFR will explode the minute things lighten up...even just a bit.

B6 is well positioned.

You know who you dont want to be right now? An airline with a fleet of hundreds of Trans Oceanic widebody aircraft.

DING DING DING!!! This is the correct response. My brother/sister-inlaw had to postpone there Disneyworld vacation from late April to late September. And they have told me numerous times they ARE going. Id imagine there are hundreds of thousands of people who had there spring break/easter break trips postponed, refunded, cancelled etc. that are dying to travel. Especially after being cooped up inside for months. And yes, people are not going to be going out to Cancun, Jamacia, Europe. They will go to the close and familiar. Florida, Myrtle Beach, California, Las Vegas.

I think there will be a spike when we get out of this. And it will then plateau. Then slowly but surely we will see it climb back.

FARmd90

Thu May 07, 2020 1:25 am

maverick4002 wrote:
FARmd90 wrote:

routing?

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/JetBlue/ ... oser=false

Hopefully that link works and takes you to the correct post, if not just head over to the Facebook page for jetblue and it will be there

tphuang

Thu May 07, 2020 1:35 am

I got wind of this earlier thanks to a pm, but here is a link now
https://paxex.aero/2020/05/jetblue-susp ... -airports/
6 of the 16 applied cities will be suspended. I'm honestly a little surprised ORD/PHL are fully suspending. I would've picked PHX/CLT instead. It looks like they are reducing frequencies to some of the other cities. I really doubt TPA will see much reductions.

Apparently, reduction for June will be 70% vs 90% in May. That seems quite aggressive. I hope they will cut more than that.

Also looks like the following international routes are returning.
JFK-CUN/STI/SDQ/PLS
MCO-CUN
SJU-SDQ/PUJ
FLL-NAS
It's not clear to me why CUN/PLS is back? Maybe Mexico and Turks & Caicos still have their borders open? That's the only explanation I think of. Otherwise, I'd imagine KIN would be back sooner.

Also surprising to me is that both JFK-GEO/GUA is delayed starting until next year. I would've guessed before this holiday season, but maybe they are not optimistic about Winter 2021 demand.

Looks like they are trying to get ABQ/BZN/PSP/RNO/SMF again. I'd rather see these smaller places suspended than ORD/PHL. I hope those get added back sooner.

PHLspecial

Thu May 07, 2020 6:37 am

tphuang wrote:
I got wind of this earlier thanks to a pm, but here is a link now
https://paxex.aero/2020/05/jetblue-susp ... -airports/
6 of the 16 applied cities will be suspended. I'm honestly a little surprised ORD/PHL are fully suspending. I would've picked PHX/CLT instead. It looks like they are reducing frequencies to some of the other cities. I really doubt TPA will see much reductions.

Apparently, reduction for June will be 70% vs 90% in May. That seems quite aggressive. I hope they will cut more than that.

Also looks like the following international routes are returning.
JFK-CUN/STI/SDQ/PLS
MCO-CUN
SJU-SDQ/PUJ
FLL-NAS
It's not clear to me why CUN/PLS is back? Maybe Mexico and Turks & Caicos still have their borders open? That's the only explanation I think of. Otherwise, I'd imagine KIN would be back sooner.

Also surprising to me is that both JFK-GEO/GUA is delayed starting until next year. I would've guessed before this holiday season, but maybe they are not optimistic about Winter 2021 demand.

Looks like they are trying to get ABQ/BZN/PSP/RNO/SMF again. I'd rather see these smaller places suspended than ORD/PHL. I hope those get added back sooner.

I'm disappointed with PHL. Though the 6 Airports suspended was hub airports or focus city airports. How long are these routes suspended for? Until October?

N757ST

Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 pm

A220 still a go, adding at least one delivery position. Some A321Neos deferred. Still taking 15 LRs between 2021-2022.

tphuang

Thu May 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Aside from A220, interesting news on the TATL front.

So, 5 LR next year and 7 in 2022. That means they are planning to launch TATL service in 2021 still. That's surprising to me. I would imagine it will be toward second half of the year at this point.

More importantly, the AA/BA JV is under UK's Competition and Market Authority scrutiny due to brexit. They have established that 5 markets with not enough competition including Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Miami and Philadelphia. So BA/AA have offered releasing slots at LHR/LGW to enable additional competition on LON-BOS/DFW/MIA.

I'm sure JetBlue is very excited about the Boston part. LR is probably too short ranged for FLL. Not sure if they can request to compete on FLL-LHR in 2023 when XLR becomes available.

N757ST

Thu May 07, 2020 1:52 pm

The LR might be the perfect airplane especially for secondary Europe post covid. The forward thinking thing to do is continue with Europe, entry opportunities like this don't come along very often, even if the service isnt profitable off the bat.

And bad math, I meant 12 LRs.

flyby519

Thu May 07, 2020 4:56 pm

tphuang wrote:

So, 5 LR next year and 7 in 2022. That means they are planning to launch TATL service in 2021 still. That's surprising to me. I would imagine it will be toward second half of the year at this point.

More importantly, the AA/BA JV is under UK's Competition and Market Authority scrutiny due to brexit. They have established that 5 markets with not enough competition including Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Miami and Philadelphia. So BA/AA have offered releasing slots at LHR/LGW to enable additional competition on LON-BOS/DFW/MIA.

I'm sure JetBlue is very excited about the Boston part. LR is probably too short ranged for FLL. Not sure if they can request to compete on FLL-LHR in 2023 when XLR becomes available.

I don’t know how the specifics of the slots go, but could B6 offer a direct FLL-LHR or DFW-LHR flight with a stop in JFK? Would that satisfy the rules?

jsteeves3

Thu May 07, 2020 7:22 pm

October 2019 JetBlue # of Flights Per Day and Load Factors (Outbound Only) by Focus City

BOS
Domestic:
154.84 Flights
82% Load Factor
Latin America:
7.61 Flights
74% Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 162.45

JFK
Domestic:
111.19 Flights
83% Load Factor
Latin America:
34.32 Flights
76% Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 145.51

FLL
Domestic:
63.97 Flights
80% Load Factor
Latin America:
30.68 Flights
69% Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 94.65

MCO
Domestic:
52.74 Flights
82% Load Factor
Latin America:
8.26 Flights
77% Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 61

SJU
Domestic:
23.29 Flights
84% Load Factor
Latin America:
5.03 Flights
79% Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 28.32

LGB
Domestic:
21.45 Flights
79% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 21.45

Other Large Stations

DCA
Domestic:
28.65 Flights
83% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 28.65

EWR
Domestic:
23.23 Flights
81% Load Factor
Latin America:
2.10 Flights
76% Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 25.33

PBI
Domestic:
20.77 Flights
75% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 20.77

LAX
Domestic:
19 Flights
89% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 19

SFO
Domestic:
15.39 Flights
87% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 15.39

TPA
Domestic:
12.29 Flights
85% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 12.29

LAS
Domestic:
11.32 Flights
86% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 11.32

RSW
Domestic:
10.52 Flights
75% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 10.52

ATL
Domestic:
9.03 Flights
80% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 9.03

PHL
Domestic:
9 Flights
76% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 9

BDL
Domestic:
8.74 Flights
83% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 8.74

SLC
Domestic:
7.23 Flights
85% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 7.23

AUS
Domestic:
6.58 Flights
84% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 6.58

SAN
Domestic:
6.45 Flights
83% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 6.45

SEA
Domestic:
5.68 Flights
86% Load Factor
Latin America:
0 Flights
- Load Factor
TOTAL Flights Per Day: 5.68

BlueBaller

Thu May 07, 2020 7:27 pm

flyby519 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I don’t know how the specifics of the slots go, but could B6 offer a direct FLL-LHR or DFW-LHR flight with a stop in JFK? Would that satisfy the rules?

By the time Europe gets off the ground these tag flights will be a year in the rear view. JetBlue will be back to point to point long before then.

tphuang

Thu May 07, 2020 7:35 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
flyby519 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

By the time Europe gets off the ground these tag flights will be a year in the rear view. JetBlue will be back to point to point long before then.

I guess we will find out. The pathway to LHR seems a lot easier than 3 months ago, even if VS survives through this. LGW slots should be widely available if LHR is not possible. I'm just glad that they've done minimal deferment on LRs and is actually accelerating A220.

btw, CMA link on this
https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/investigat ... -agreement

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-l ... satlantic/

jfklganyc

Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
flyby519 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

JetBlue is not a point to point airline.

Virtually every flight they fly starts or ends at a “hub:”

NYC
BOS
LA
MCO
FLL
SJU

That will only continue especially as huge opportunities present themselves in NYC and LA

Allegiant Spirit Frontier...Those are truly point to point airlines.

Southwest Alaska and Jetblue may use different terminology, But they are in a hub and spoke “light” set up with many connections

flyby519

Thu May 07, 2020 9:04 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
flyby519 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Right, I was thinking of purposely creating a tag flight so we could utilize a 321LR to serve the DFW-LHR and FLL-LHR markets, just schedule a convenient stop in JFK to get gas (and more people!)

trueblew

Thu May 07, 2020 9:11 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
flyby519 wrote:

NYC
BOS
LA
MCO
FLL
SJU

That will only continue especially as huge opportunities present themselves in NYC and LA

Southwest Alaska and Jetblue may use different terminology, But they are in a hub and spoke “light” set up with many connections

I came here to say just that. This Covid-19 pandemic has illustrated quite clearly how B6 is a hub and spoke network with very little P2P, and near zero when you combine metro areas. I would, however, argue that Southwest is a true P2P airline with a few hub/spoke features.

aemoreira1981

Thu May 07, 2020 9:16 pm

With VS terminating Gatwick flights, I have to wonder if B6 could be in a position to try their hand at Gatwick flights from BOS and JFK, along with possibly ORY as well. The idea of TATL is low-risk, as the planes could always be reallocated to other routes instead, or downgraded to standard A21Ns.

The only question I would have is: would these planes have the same door configuration as the core A21Ns, or would R3/L3 be plugged? (TP, which has both standard and LR A21Ns, has one overwing exit plugged on the LR A21Ns.)

BlueBaller

Fri May 08, 2020 3:30 am

jfklganyc wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
flyby519 wrote:

NYC
BOS
LA
MCO
FLL
SJU

I didn't mean P2P in the traditional sense as in PVD-BWI-MDW-LAS-PDX. I was referring to the normal schedule of operations this company runs on a regular basis. Something like DFW-JFK-LHR would never fly considering TATL is supposed to debut a brand new premium cabin which they would never invest on a 1500nm domestic leg they literally chose to abandon the previous summer during the COVID crisis. The logistics on pairing the crews alone would present more nightmares than Elm St. And its not JetBlue's style to run same flight numbers on separate/connecting aircraft. With the exception of STT-BOS which Tech stops for fuel in SJU if there's more than ~100 seats sold, I don't know of anywhere else in the system that does that.
Last edited by BlueBaller on Fri May 08, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBaller

Fri May 08, 2020 3:34 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
With VS terminating Gatwick flights, I have to wonder if B6 could be in a position to try their hand at Gatwick flights from BOS and JFK, along with possibly ORY as well. The idea of TATL is low-risk, as the planes could always be reallocated to other routes instead, or downgraded to standard A21Ns.

The only question I would have is: would these planes have the same door configuration as the core A21Ns, or would R3/L3 be plugged? (TP, which has both standard and LR A21Ns, has one overwing exit plugged on the LR A21Ns.)

I think all the 321 NEOs being delivered have the same Cabin Flex configuration now. The early generation NEOs TP has came before they introduced that.

flyby519

Fri May 08, 2020 11:37 am

BlueBaller wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

NYC
BOS
LA
MCO
FLL
SJU

I didn't mean P2P in the traditional sense as in PVD-BWI-MDW-LAS-PDX. I was referring to the normal schedule of operations this company runs on a regular basis. Something like DFW-JFK-LHR would never fly considering TATL is supposed to debut a brand new premium cabin which they would never invest on a 1500nm domestic leg they literally chose to abandon the previous summer during the COVID crisis. The logistics on pairing the crews alone would present more nightmares than Elm St. And its not JetBlue's style to run same flight numbers on separate/connecting aircraft. With the exception of STT-BOS which Tech stops for fuel in SJU if there's more than ~100 seats sold, I don't know of anywhere else in the system that does that.

The only reason I’d say this was possible would be to get remedy slots at LHR from BA/AA. I agree it would be difficult logistically but it would be worth it if we got into LHR because of it.

Also, I don’t believe a direct flight is required to have the same crew and airframe. You could run a regular 320 DFW-JFK and then swap aircraft/crew for the JFK-LHR leg using the same flight number.

jfklganyc

Fri May 08, 2020 12:22 pm

Well it seems London is a go.

Also seems lots of slots at JFK and a London airport will be available.

Tragedy creates misery and opportunity

BlueBaller

Fri May 08, 2020 4:23 pm

flyby519 wrote:
The only reason I’d say this was possible would be to get remedy slots at LHR from BA/AA. I agree it would be difficult logistically but it would be worth it if we got into LHR because of it.

Also, I don’t believe a direct flight is required to have the same crew and airframe. You could run a regular 320 DFW-JFK and then swap aircraft/crew for the JFK-LHR leg using the same flight number.

Not bad points, I just don't think that's the company's style. JFK and BOS were always meant to be the hubs to route and connect TATL itineraries. They'd just as easily time such flights so that traffic flows through traditionally. Moving forward, however, who knows. 2020 literally changed everything.

phllax

Fri May 08, 2020 6:23 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

I think all the 321 NEOs being delivered have the same Cabin Flex configuration now. The early generation NEOs TP has came before they introduced that.

Correct, the 4 door version of the 321 is no longer produced..

JoseSalazar

Fri May 08, 2020 6:34 pm

tphuang

Fri May 08, 2020 7:13 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:

I think given that B6 will be a new entrant here with no slots at LHR, it would be pretty easy decision to award them the BOS-LHR slot as long as they commit to serving the market year round.

The second part of the article does make me wonder if DL is already serving DFW to LHR via another city, maybe that's a proposal B6 can make here. Maybe they can say something like we will start off by serving FLL-BOS-LHR and once we get XLR, we will serve FLL-LHR directly. And maybe they can even try DFW-BOS-LHR or PHL-BOS-LHR.

My guess is that with demand where they are and many airlines having difficulties, JetBlue might be able to find other airlines willing to lease out slots or trade for JFK slots/gate space. For example, Eithad has way more slots than they need since Jet Airways demise. Not sure if that will give them enough slots for both BOS/JFK flights though.

tphuang

Sat May 09, 2020 12:05 am

Interesting couple of weeks with the earnings come out + other news. Looks like JetBlue is in pretty good cash position and should have very low debt compared to competitors by the time this is over. Should bode well for quickly growing back to 2019 size. They are predicting L shaped recovery which is probably the right thing to do at this point. By my calculation, they will still have over $2 billion by the start of next year if they complete their goal of raising another $750 million from public market.

It will be interesting to see what kind of yield they get. UA is having trouble getting enough interest even with 11% yield, whereas DL got more interest than it was looking for at 7% yield. Hopefully, JetBlue will be able to get better rates than DL with their lower debt situation.

In terms of recovery, they are expecting leisure before business and VFR before pure leisure. Sabre also mentioned that it expects leisure before business. So this is not just a LCC biased view.

From earnings call, they are:
- getting A220 as quickly as they can
- Delaying LRs only slightly and still getting them mostly on time, so still pressing ahead with London.
- Defered a bunch of A321NEOs, but not as many as i though. Which means they will probably park a lot of the older planes.
- 170 parked aircraft out of over 260. Not sure how many older A320s and E90s are coming back ever. No more cabin refresh for a while

Personal opinion on opportunities coming out of this aside from TATL stuff
- JFK slots are going to widely available, maybe even slot go away for a while. Who knows. AA will not come close to using their slots.
- More BOS gates should be available. Is AA really going to use its 18 gates enough to keep them? I really doubt it. Again, E should be wide open as JetBlue starts its TATL flights. With DL cutting back also, this next 2 or 3 years it the time for B6 to make its move.
- Slots becoming available at LGA. Can't see AA operating anything close to 170 flights a day and I think UA's old CLE slots will be leased/sold and possibly other slots will become available. B6 should see how many slots it can get. Even if it can get to 30 slots, it will be a huge deal for them.
- Will slot become available at DCA? This is less likely but who knows.
- LAX gates. How many can they grab given that legacies are likely going to operate few flights for a few years and may not really their gate utilization expectations. I'd imagine AA/UA are prime condidates for losing a few gates.
- EWR "slots". Less important than JFK/LGA slots to them, but given ULCCs cutting back here, might be a good idea not to shrink too much here.
- HPN slots. I'd be shocked if legacies don't cut back on their capacity to HPN coming out of this in order to consolidate at the major airports. I think JetBlue will increase on its 50% market share here.
- Merger with NK and FLL? SAVE is now under 1/3 of JBLU's market cap and not in as good of a cash position. I give NK less than 50% chance making out of this as an independent airline. Possible merger in a year or 2?
- So basically the way to go forward is the NYC/BOS/SoFlorida/LA focus as their cornerstone strategy. I would put Orlando in the backburners and let the ULCCs/WN battle it out there.

ytib

Sat May 09, 2020 3:27 am

Filing earlier this week by JetBlue

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0037-0134

Request for Service Level Exemption (CARES Act) - Five Additional Western Points (ABQ, BZN, PSP, RNO, SMF)

One of their arguments for SMF is comparing it to the Hawaii service which has been allowed to draw down by other airlines.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

Nicknuzzii

Sat May 09, 2020 3:49 am

tphuang wrote:
Interesting couple of weeks with the earnings come out + other news. Looks like JetBlue is in pretty good cash position and should have very low debt compared to competitors by the time this is over. Should bode well for quickly growing back to 2019 size. They are predicting L shaped recovery which is probably the right thing to do at this point. By my calculation, they will still have over $2 billion by the start of next year if they complete their goal of raising another $750 million from public market.

It will be interesting to see what kind of yield they get. UA is having trouble getting enough interest even with 11% yield, whereas DL got more interest than it was looking for at 7% yield. Hopefully, JetBlue will be able to get better rates than DL with their lower debt situation.

In terms of recovery, they are expecting leisure before business and VFR before pure leisure. Sabre also mentioned that it expects leisure before business. So this is not just a LCC biased view.

- Delaying LRs only slightly and still getting them mostly on time, so still pressing ahead with London.
- Defered a bunch of A321NEOs, but not as many as i though. Which means they will probably park a lot of the older planes.
- 170 parked aircraft out of over 260. Not sure how many older A320s and E90s are coming back ever. No more cabin refresh for a while

- JFK slots are going to widely available, maybe even slot go away for a while. Who knows. AA will not come close to using their slots.
- More BOS gates should be available. Is AA really going to use its 18 gates enough to keep them? I really doubt it. Again, E should be wide open as JetBlue starts its TATL flights. With DL cutting back also, this next 2 or 3 years it the time for B6 to make its move.
- Slots becoming available at LGA. Can't see AA operating anything close to 170 flights a day and I think UA's old CLE slots will be leased/sold and possibly other slots will become available. B6 should see how many slots it can get. Even if it can get to 30 slots, it will be a huge deal for them.
- LAX gates. How many can they grab given that legacies are likely going to operate few flights for a few years and may not really their gate utilization expectations. I'd imagine AA/UA are prime condidates for losing a few gates.
- EWR "slots". Less important than JFK/LGA slots to them, but given ULCCs cutting back here, might be a good idea not to shrink too much here.
- HPN slots. I'd be shocked if legacies don't cut back on their capacity to HPN coming out of this in order to consolidate at the major airports. I think JetBlue will increase on its 50% market share here.
- Merger with NK and FLL? SAVE is now under 1/3 of JBLU's market cap and not in as good of a cash position. I give NK less than 50% chance making out of this as an independent airline. Possible merger in a year or 2?
- So basically the way to go forward is the NYC/BOS/SoFlorida/LA focus as their cornerstone strategy. I would put Orlando in the backburners and let the ULCCs/WN battle it out there.

EWR is way more important to B6 than LGA. EWR is the domestic gateway to the region and B6 recognizes this. What’s the obsession with LGA when they have planned to expand at EWR for a while?

N757ST

Sat May 09, 2020 3:58 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
tphuang wrote:

EWR is way more important to B6 than LGA. EWR is the domestic gateway to the region and B6 recognizes this. What’s the obsession with LGA when they have planned to expand at EWR for a while?

I think any opportunity to expand in New York will happen.... whether it be EWR, JFK, or LGA.

tphuang

Tue May 12, 2020 4:27 pm

As a second part to my comment about emerging out of COVID, taking a look at each of the airport, how things open up and their competitors. Again, my belief is that in short term, domestic VFR and leisure to Florida comes back first, international VFR to Caribbean also come back quickly. Business comes back in short haul before longer distance. Also, my belief is that as more people work from home and more companies decentralize from their office in Manhattan, EWR and JFK will have more business demand that used to go mostly to LGA, since more people would be leaving from Jersey, Brooklyn, long island and westchester.

Also, I think given how hard COVID has hit many of the minority working class communities, they will reach herd immunity sooner than everyone else. So, these communities probably won’t have COVID shadow over them as long. People are going to be more willing to travel if they already anti-bodies.

JFK - AA will probably be giving up a lot of slots here. Go from 120 flights to 40 flights would mean a lot of slots become available. Both B6/DL will probably have fewer flights too but could downgauge. In B6’s case, it probably will need to run fewer flights outside slot hours to use up all its slots. The only ones I see looking to get slots here outside of B6/DL are NK and UA. The filed a complaint to DOT about AA’s slot hoarding. I see NK looking for LGA slots and EWR openings before JFK, but something for B6 to watch out for. UA will be more likely to come to JFK if they get in a partnership with B6. I think JFK slots will not be an issue for a while, so it’ more about how quickly B6 is willing to add flights here. Maybe they can reach 200 flights here by summer of 2022 and 220+ flights by 2025.

LGA - This really depends on when the slot waiver goes away, I see AA selling/leasing/trading a bunch of slots here due to its financial situation. I’m guessing 20 to 40. I see UA doing the same to maybe 10 slots (so CLE slots + a few more). I see DL/WS possibly having to fork out 8 slots from their JV application. It’s possible F9 will be willing to sell its slots given their new shift. I could see up to 50 slots being available to be sold/traded/divested. Their main competition here would be WN and NK (assuming DL cannot get more). PD would be interested, but I don’t think they have the money at the moment. WN’s advantage is that they have the most resources. I don’t think DOT will allow them to get all of the slots since WN already has 37 pairs. I assume that NK will be allowed to get some also. Maybe they can get 15 slots here?

EWR - I see UA shrinking quite a bit in the short term and F9 cutting back a lot. DL will probably cut EWR-BOS/RDU/CVG and AA will probably reduce the number of hub flights it has. In medium and long term, there are some upsides here for B6. Aside from what UA might do, I think only NK will be the only other airline looking to build EWR. I do see UA being smaller in the next few years, so EWR will not be maxed out for a while. B6 can concentrate on rebuilding JFK first and then expanding EWR from 2022. With the new terminal opening up, they should try to get as many gate as they can (maybe 6 to 8??)

HPN - I see everyone shrinking here. DL is leaving here until at least end of September. Who knows when they will come back. Given the wealth in this area, B6 should look to add more flights here to SJU/LAS/LAX and other location with leisure/VFR profile so that people that live here will use them for business flights out of JFK. Maybe they can get to 15+ flights a day here as legacies consolidate to JFK/LGA/EWR.

BOS - I think AA will be smaller and won’t be able to meet usage requirements for 18 gates. I think UA/WN could possibly lose gates also. And there will also be more room in Terminal E given the expansion there + likely reduced TATL flying for a few years. B6 already will have 29 gates in C + some number in E by end of 2021. AA retreating to hubs will probably bring the down to 70 flights a day in medium term. They probably need to give up 4 to 5 gates. B6 should look to get whatever they can get in B and E. Maybe they can get to 35 gates between B/C + access to 5/6 gates for most of the day in E by 2024. DL looks to be retreating to a focus city, so capacity will be down out of BOS among competitors. This is B6 time to take over that capacity before legacies recover and are able to build back up.

In short term, they should focus on building back up to the 180 to 190 flights they were running/scheduling before this started. That probably will happen sometimes in 2021. They should aim to fill in the void left by other airlines cutting back and building their BOS operation to probably 250 flights a day in medium term (2025) and aim for 300 flights a day long term (late 2020s) to dissuade another DL type of legacy buildup in BOS. It may sound too much to be adding 60 flights a day on top of what they were flying in Q1 of this year for 4 years from now. But if by 2023, DL is at 90 flights a day, AA is at low 70 and UA/WN are also smaller than 2019, they will basically be just filling in other carriers’ reductions. That along with building up a TATL hub is how B6 can turn BOS into a fortress hub.

LAX - I see AA/UA and possibly AS losing gates here. AA/UA lose gate due to their financial difficulties and AS due to concentrating in PNW/AK. F9 is gone and G4/SY likely to be reduced even more. If B6 stays in T5, it will most likely be gaining gates from F9/G4/SY/HA reducing/moving to other terminals. NK may also find a different terminal that will give it access to more gate space or it could get 1 or more that AA might give up. I think LAX won’t be gate constrained for a few years. Short term, B6 is likely to move out of LGB and into LAX if it can get 5 gates in total (like rumored before this started). It will probably be looking for more than that in medium to long term. LAX is where they want to be if they want to have a strategy of more than just East Coast.

FLL - I do think they will be a lot smaller in FLL for a while. Maybe down to 70 flights a day next summer. i think WN will also be smaller. If NK is around, I think they will recover to their pre-COVID size sooner than B6. The recovery of FLL really depends on how quickly they build out BOS/NYC and how quickly Caribbean demands come back. Either way, I don’t think FLL will be constrained for a while. The medium term is probably to recover FLL to pre-COVID size (100 to 105 flights a day). I would think the goal of 140 flights a day is more for 2025.

MCO - I think MCO will be reduced quite a bit. A lot of the international routes that depended on connection should be consolidated at FLL. They originally planned to anchor south terminal when it opens. I don’t see any reason to do this now that there are so many better opportunities around. With 20% unemployment rate, a destination dependent on leisure travel from middle class families will be suffering in demand for a while. I think the medium term goal is just pre-COVID size and long term goal probably not much beyond that.

So 2020, fight for survival
2021, focus on getting JFK/LGA to pre-COVID number of flights to use up slots and then getting BOS to pre-COVID number of flights by end of year. Start Europe
2022, meeting BOS200 goal and expanding JFK/LGA past pre-COVID number of flights to take up additional slots. Bring back EWR/HPN to pre-COVID size if not a little more. LAX to pre-COVID # of transcon flights + recover some LGB west coast flights (30 to 35 flights).
2023, Large Europe expansion, BOS to 225, grow EWR past pre-COVID size, JFK to use more slots, grow LAX to pre-COVID LA basin size (40 flights a day). Recover FLL to pre-COVID size.
2024, Bos to 240, JFK close to max out in # of flights, start up gauging again. Continue expand EWR. Recover MCO/SJU to pre-COVID size. Build on LAX to greater presence in west coast and transcon market. Start more connection through FLL.
2025, Completing TATL expansion and add selected deep SA flights from FLL. BOS to 250 and FLL to 140. Continuing upgauging at JFK/EWR. Starting new focus city opportunities?

It seems to me that if B6 does stay independent, it would be a good thing for them if NK gets acquired by someone in the next year or 2. That would remove a competitor getting slots/gates at JFK/EWR/LGA/LAX. It would give them more time to not grow at FLL and keep their focus on BOS/NYC. And it would prevent MCO from becoming a nightmare of a place to expand down the road.

Nicknuzzii

Tue May 12, 2020 4:36 pm

The 1 slight thing I don’t agree with in this is F9 cutting EWR. For a new station they are still planning 11 daily flights to 12 (?) Destinations. I think after taking a few flights on LCC’s this weekend they will rebound quicker. In the future around 2023 I see F9 being at 20 flights a day, B6 having 35, NK having 25 and UA about 350-375.

jfklganyc

Tue May 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Here’s my take:

Bos growth to the back burner as no one else will be growing there.

Pouncing on the opportunity for LGA JFK EWR while slots and gates are available

NY comes out of this the winner for B6

acavpics

Tue May 12, 2020 5:45 pm

UWPAviation wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
I think there will be a spike when we get out of this. And it will then plateau. Then slowly but surely we will see it climb back.

Are you referring to travelers or Coronavirus cases?

flyby519

Tue May 12, 2020 5:52 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Here’s my take:

Bos growth to the back burner as no one else will be growing there.

Pouncing on the opportunity for LGA JFK EWR while slots and gates are available

NY comes out of this the winner for B6

This is an incredible once in a generation opportunity to rebalance the biggest market in the US. B6 better not let this slip away.

STT757

Tue May 12, 2020 6:08 pm

I think some of us are getting ahead of ourselves here. What makes people think that if there's a recovery only JetBlue will be in a position to do anything? They, like all the other airlines, are going to have less planes, less people and less money when this pandemic is over.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

BlueBaller

Tue May 12, 2020 6:19 pm

tphuang wrote:
HPN - I see everyone shrinking here. DL is leaving here until at least end of September. Who knows when they will come back. Given the wealth in this area, B6 should look to add more flights here to SJU/LAS/LAX and other location with leisure/VFR profile so that people that live here will use them for business flights out of JFK. Maybe they can get to 15+ flights a day here as legacies consolidate to JFK/LGA/EWR.

SJU could be done pretty easily, but A320 performance needed to hit LAX and LAS would be a nearly impossible westbound off the 6500' runway at HPN. Now, the A220 is a different story. It would be ideal for that mission.

BlueBaller

Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 pm

STT757 wrote:
I think some of us are getting ahead of ourselves here. What makes people think that if there's a recovery only JetBlue will be in a position to do anything? They, like all the other airlines, are going to have less planes, less people and less money when this pandemic is over.

I think it's because this is a JetBlue forum and people like to come here to discuss optimistic ideas and strategies specific to JetBlue.

tphuang

Tue May 12, 2020 6:28 pm

STT757 wrote:

It's all about airlines retreating to their core and most profitable hubs. In B6's case, that is JFK and BOS. When it's time to add back capacity, do it in NYC before anywhere else. If they don't, DL will at JFK and WN/NK will grab more at LGA. It also helps that they are going to have a lot less debt coming out of this than legacy airlines.

SJU could be done pretty easily, but A320 performance needed to hit LAX and LAS would be a nearly impossible westbound off the 6500' runway at HPN. Now, the A220 is a different story. It would be ideal for that mission.

right, I was thinking A220 for HPN-LAX/LAS. I'm glad they decided to accelerate receiving A220s. Seems like the right sized aircraft to add flights at a time they need to get as many slots as possible.

flyby519

Tue May 12, 2020 6:31 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
tphuang wrote:

HPN-LAX, damn, can we just put an all-Mint A220 on that route??

flyby519

Tue May 12, 2020 6:32 pm

STT757 wrote:

There will no doubt be areas where B6 pulls back too. LGB is a given, MCO, and maybe FLL to an extent.

FlyingElvii

Tue May 12, 2020 7:24 pm

CaptainObvious1 wrote:
FARmd90 wrote:

Who will be covering the cost of the flights?

Likely the Training Department....
Count it as recurrent.

FlyingElvii

Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm

STT757 wrote:

I don't think that people understand what is really happening yet, or just refusing to acknowledge it.

Without a successful vaccine, It is going to be a while be a while before we see even 1980 TRAFFIC LEVELS., folks. Especially in International.
The days of just getting on to a jet, and flying to a far off land for an adventure vacation are OVER.

avi8

Tue May 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Does anyone know what’s going to happen to GUA, which was supposed to start in June? I mean, I know that’s not happening but is the route cancelled? I wouldn’t be surprised if it is.
avi8

airportugal310

Tue May 12, 2020 8:03 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
STT757 wrote:

I don't think that people understand what is really happening yet, or just refusing to acknowledge it.

Without a successful vaccine, It is going to be a while be a while before we see even 1980 TRAFFIC LEVELS., folks. Especially in International.
The days of just getting on to a jet, and flying to a far off land for an adventure vacation are OVER.

Says you...you could ask 10 different people the same question, and get 10 different opinions, frankly. Some choose to be more optimistic than others who watch too much mainstream news, and that's fine
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

tphuang

Tue May 12, 2020 8:08 pm

avi8 wrote:
Does anyone know what’s going to happen to GUA, which was supposed to start in June? I mean, I know that’s not happening but is the route cancelled? I wouldn’t be surprised if it is.

apparently, the start got delayed until next year. I assume it will probably be around Easter.

FlyingElvii wrote:

keep in mind most of JetBlue's international stuff is VFR rather than pure leisure, which actually recovers sooner than most categories. Those DR/PR flights do pretty well.

Brickell305

Tue May 12, 2020 8:12 pm

STT757 wrote:

It’s understandable for those who work at B6. It’s hard to face the reality that your company and ergo your job may not be secure. Also, there is the inner fanboy in most people in this thread who desire for their preferred airline to conquer all. I agree that reality hasn’t sunk in for most yet. Every airline is suffering. It’s apparent from their financials and their actions to date. Revenue will be down significantly for a while. There simply won’t be any money for all the expansion people seem to think will take place.

USAirALB

Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 pm

I do wonder what will happen to a lot of the smaller, more leisure dependent markets, like ORH/ALB in the long-term.
FlyingElvii wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Frankly, that's silly. No one is forcing anyone to travel. If you don't feel comfortable flying, by all means don't.

I just bought tickets for Paris over Labor Day weekend, and for Istanbul over Veterans Day weekend. If I can't travel due to a COVID-19 related entry restriction, I'll just take the voucher offered and postpone till a later date. Easy. Many of my friends just recently did the same.

Disclaimer: Before you say I am refusing to acknowledge it/understand what is happening, I work in the public health sector, and I have already had COVID-19.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Nicknuzzii

Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I do wonder what will happen to a lot of the smaller, more leisure dependent markets, like ORH/ALB in the long-term.
FlyingElvii wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Frankly, that's silly. No one is forcing anyone to travel. If you don't feel comfortable flying, by all means don't.

I just bought tickets for Paris over Labor Day weekend, and for Istanbul over Veterans Day weekend. If I can't travel due to a COVID-19 related entry restriction, I'll just take the voucher offered and postpone till a later date. Easy. Many of my friends just recently did the same.

Disclaimer: Before you say I am refusing to acknowledge it/understand what is happening, I work in the public health sector, and I have already had COVID-19.

Everyone I know too took vouchers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos