Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
airbazar
Posts: 10542
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:31 pm

VS4ever wrote:
acavpics wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Was a terminal E today around 12:30, picking up my wife who arrived on the AMS flight. What a desolate place! It's shocking to see it like this now compared to what it used to be. One bright spot tho besides the lack of road traffic is the large, new terminal extension taking shape.


Even otherwise, isn't Terminal E pretty empty on a normal day at 12:30PM? Most international flights don't arrive till 2:00 onwards.

Before Covid E was building up quite nicely. It was busy from about noon when the first wave of DL TATL flights landed. In addition B6 were using 3 gates and G4,F9 and SY were also building a presence there
Now.. not so much

IIRC pre-covid and during the "lunch time" period we had a few DL arrivals, EK, JL, and I think one of HU's flights as well as CM also arrived around that time. I don't remember if BA and FI also had a mid-day arrival.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Mornings were typically dominated by DL, then early afternoon would have JAL leaving, EK, HU and QR arriving, CM somewhere in the mix, and depending on what you call lunch time-AF,AZ,BA, and LH starting the mid afternoon turns that would busy up the terminal clear through to around 11pm.

And to think we used to say those days were awful, gate holds, delays, broken equipment, difficult weather....
 
FGITD
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Out of my usual zone, but I had a meeting over at terminal C this morning. Can’t believe how different the departures level looks with the old roof gone. And of course the old tower/FAA building is long gone.

I try not to sound like some sort of bureaucracy fanboy, but I have to give credit to Massport...they know how to run this airport well. Compared to colleagues that work all over the world and constantly complain about their airport authorities, I really can't criticise MP too much.
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26681
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:27 am

Virgin Atlantic is briefly suspending Boston through November 21st. Crazy that their will be no flights between the two cities for the next two weeks.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10542
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:44 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Virgin Atlantic is briefly suspending Boston through November 21st. Crazy that their will be no flights between the two cities for the next two weeks.

https://www.visitlondon.com/coronavirus
"London is currently subject to a four-week lockdown from 5 November, which includes the closure of leisure venues, pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops."
That will do it.
I'm surprised that there are still flights to/from Europe at this time as most European countries are going into lockdown in hopes of saving Xmas.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:16 pm

airbazar wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Virgin Atlantic is briefly suspending Boston through November 21st. Crazy that their will be no flights between the two cities for the next two weeks.

https://www.visitlondon.com/coronavirus
"London is currently subject to a four-week lockdown from 5 November, which includes the closure of leisure venues, pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops."
That will do it.
I'm surprised that there are still flights to/from Europe at this time as most European countries are going into lockdown in hopes of saving Xmas.

Wow - I believe only JFK have may have a flight yet to LHR at this time?

My in-laws are traveling back from BOS-EWR-BOM on UA on Sunday and so far the flights have been operating and barring a minor schedule change, it looks on time and schedule. I need to take them for a PCR test and that is mandatory when they arrive into BOM else they will placed in a 7 day institutional quarantine for 7 days. The quarantine needs to be paid by pocket and ranges from a Grand Hyatt to a non-denominational budget hotel in BOM. Keep the group posted.
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26681
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:12 pm

iyerhari wrote:
airbazar wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Virgin Atlantic is briefly suspending Boston through November 21st. Crazy that their will be no flights between the two cities for the next two weeks.

https://www.visitlondon.com/coronavirus
"London is currently subject to a four-week lockdown from 5 November, which includes the closure of leisure venues, pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops."
That will do it.
I'm surprised that there are still flights to/from Europe at this time as most European countries are going into lockdown in hopes of saving Xmas.

Wow - I believe only JFK have may have a flight yet to LHR at this time?


During lockdown VS is keeping LAX, JFK, ATL and MIA. Amd BOS will resume before lockdown ends.

BA is keeping JFK, LAX, IAD, ORD, MIA, SEA and IAH.

U.S. carriers also keeping certain routes.

Or at least for now.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:16 pm

Incredible. I wonder, when was the last time there was no BOS-LHR flight? I recall they used to very proudly proclaim that they were one of Boston’s longest serving routes. Not that anyone will hold temporary suspensions against their record! But still.

I feel for the BA staff. Unlike most, they aren’t subcontracted out (yet)
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:51 pm

FGITD wrote:
Incredible. I wonder, when was the last time there was no BOS-LHR flight? I recall they used to very proudly proclaim that they were one of Boston’s longest serving routes. Not that anyone will hold temporary suspensions against their record! But still.

I feel for the BA staff. Unlike most, they aren’t subcontracted out (yet)

I feel the problem is with such low passenger traffic, you cannot blame airlines for the decisions. IMO, until vaccine is proven and it's potency, I think business travel is out of the window. I haven't taken a flight since March and do not know when I will take next. I think most consulting firms have a travel stop till they have a path forward - last thing they want is clients and employees filing lawsuits after anyone contacts and ends up spreading. It is not looking good at all for the travel industry with a glimmer of hope. As a FYI, I was checking UA EWR-BOM flight for Sunday Nov 15 - business seems mostly empty, premium economy is also quite empty and economy looks the same. I am just basing this off of seat availability when selecting seats as my FIL is a tall guy and needs premium eco. I wonder how airlines maybe operating flights with such limited availability.
 
ScottB
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:04 pm

FGITD wrote:
I try not to sound like some sort of bureaucracy fanboy, but I have to give credit to Massport...they know how to run this airport well. Compared to colleagues that work all over the world and constantly complain about their airport authorities, I really can't criticise MP too much.


LOLwut?

Those bureaucratic hacks couldn't organize a one-car funeral. Have you ever taken their shuttle buses? It shouldn't take less time to walk from the T to the terminals than to take the bus. Remember their massive fail last year when a not-unusual-for-Boston snow-rain-freeze event had Logan running single-runway ops for a couple of days because they did such a terrible job of clearing the runways? Why are rideshares relegated to Central Parking when cabs are still at the terminals?

The only thing those losers are good at doing is organizing booze cruises on the Harbor.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10542
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:30 pm

ScottB wrote:
FGITD wrote:
I try not to sound like some sort of bureaucracy fanboy, but I have to give credit to Massport...they know how to run this airport well. Compared to colleagues that work all over the world and constantly complain about their airport authorities, I really can't criticise MP too much.


LOLwut?

Those bureaucratic hacks couldn't organize a one-car funeral. Have you ever taken their shuttle buses? It shouldn't take less time to walk from the T to the terminals than to take the bus. Remember their massive fail last year when a not-unusual-for-Boston snow-rain-freeze event had Logan running single-runway ops for a couple of days because they did such a terrible job of clearing the runways? Why are rideshares relegated to Central Parking when cabs are still at the terminals?

The only thing those losers are good at doing is organizing booze cruises on the Harbor.


Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today :D
I also think that Massport gets it mostly right. It's very rare that they screw up, IMO.
I think moving the rideshare to central parking was overall a good idea. Central parking was underutilized as a result of more people taking ride-share. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Customers were complaining about how messy it was to catch a ride at the terminal. Traffic on the roadways was getting ridiculous. And no one takes taxis anymore and besides, taxis have an off-terminal holding area so they're not clogging up roadways like ride-shares were doing.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 23112
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 pm

Discuss the topic, not other users.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:42 pm

airbazar wrote:
I think moving the rideshare to central parking was overall a good idea. Central parking was underutilized as a result of more people taking ride-share. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Customers were complaining about how messy it was to catch a ride at the terminal. Traffic on the roadways was getting ridiculous. And no one takes taxis anymore and besides, taxis have an off-terminal holding area so they're not clogging up roadways like ride-shares were doing.


Nail on the head here. Taxis are a controlled commodity. They stage off site, are released to the terminals by Massport and go to another controlled area, still under control of Massport. The Ubers were dropping off everywhere, then trying to get another ride without moving from departures to arrival and vice versa. So they'd sit for 15 minutes while waiting for the next ride to find them.

Can’t speak much to the shuttle issue. Though I have heard that going from the blue Line stop can sometimes involve a visit to the far reaches of south cargo, which admittedly doesn’t make much sense at all. I assume that's just an anecdote from someone who took the wrong bus though
 
B752OS
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:33 am

Massport isn't perfect, but by and large, they get things right and over the last 6-7 years, have made a lot of nice upgrades and expansions at an airport that has a pretty small and tight footprint. Once the terminals B and C roadways and the C canopy and arrivals and departures is expanded things will move a lot smoother.

Building a new, modern consolidated care rental facility went a long way to opening up the roadways as it eliminated a large number of shuttle buses rotating through the terminals. It's too bad the MBTA and Massport didn't build the blue line stop right under central parking years ago when it would have been a lot more feasible.
 
ScottB
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:12 pm

B752OS wrote:
It's too bad the MBTA and Massport didn't build the blue line stop right under central parking years ago when it would have been a lot more feasible.


It never would have been feasible to put the Blue Line Airport Station under Central Parking. The East Boston Tunnel was extended out to Wonderland from Maverick back in the 1950s using the right-of-way of a defunct railroad. Central Parking is over a half mile from the Blue Line right-of-way and the shortest route is basically perpendicular to that right-of-way, so you'd be adding a detour of over a mile to the Blue Line which would be insane for the vast majority of Blue Line passengers who are commuting to and from downtown Boston. The only way that might have worked would be to create an Airport branch for the Blue Line but that would make operations a lot more complicated.

What's typical for Massport's general level of incompetence is that they didn't build a people mover between the terminals, the T, and the future location of the Rental Car Center back when they redid the terminal roadways and moved the T station out closer to Wood Island. Instead we get slow-moving buses which have to use the surface roadways and go through several traffic lights on the loop between the T, Rental Car Center, and terminals. They're too damn cheap to run enough buses so they're standing-room-only most of the time and the buses sit at the Rental Car Center for several minutes because some idiot thinks it's more convenient to make the buses wait for the passengers rather than vice versa. They cut the level of bus service during the pandemic so the buses are still too crowded for the level of social distancing which is necessary. And now the buses stop twice at the Rental Car Center -- on the upper level and the lower level.

airbazar wrote:
I think moving the rideshare to central parking was overall a good idea. Central parking was underutilized as a result of more people taking ride-share. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Customers were complaining about how messy it was to catch a ride at the terminal. Traffic on the roadways was getting ridiculous. And no one takes taxis anymore and besides, taxis have an off-terminal holding area so they're not clogging up roadways like ride-shares were doing.


They certainly could have required the ride shares to marshal away from the terminals (maybe even in the ground level of Central Parking or in the Economy Garage) just as they require for the taxis. The underutilization of Central Parking isn't a good justification for making things significantly more inconvenient for passengers using ride shares.

People switched to ride share because Boston cabs are expensive and generally suck. Parking at Logan is ridiculously expensive so even $50 each way for a ride share is cheaper for a three-day trip.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10542
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:43 pm

ScottB wrote:
B752OS wrote:
It's too bad the MBTA and Massport didn't build the blue line stop right under central parking years ago when it would have been a lot more feasible.


It never would have been feasible to put the Blue Line Airport Station under Central Parking. The East Boston Tunnel was extended out to Wonderland from Maverick back in the 1950s using the right-of-way of a defunct railroad. Central Parking is over a half mile from the Blue Line right-of-way and the shortest route is basically perpendicular to that right-of-way, so you'd be adding a detour of over a mile to the Blue Line which would be insane for the vast majority of Blue Line passengers who are commuting to and from downtown Boston. The only way that might have worked would be to create an Airport branch for the Blue Line but that would make operations a lot more complicated.


The addition of an airport stop wouldn't have made a huge difference for commuters. I imagine that cost was the main issue for the very small benefit it brings. They couldn't just move the stop because the airport stop actually serves the population of East Boston, so they would have to still keep that stop and just loop the line by the airport, thus an additional stop.
The people mover was in the plans and it was dropped just like it's been dropped again this year. The first time due to cost overruns and this time due to the Pandemic.
The reality now is that few passengers take the blue line to the airport. Even before Ride-share the blue line only catered to a small percentage of passengers because of how much of a PITA it is to transfer between lines. And if you're attempting to do it with luggage and at rush hour, forget it.
Where the MBTA really screwed up was with the Silver Line. That line should have been a full blown, tunneled rapid transit line with an airport stop, thru Chelsea, Everett and ending in either Malden or Wellington's Orange Line stops. Instead they built a slow glorified bus line.

ScottB wrote:
They certainly could have required the ride shares to marshal away from the terminals (maybe even in the ground level of Central Parking or in the Economy Garage) just as they require for the taxis. The underutilization of Central Parking isn't a good justification for making things significantly more inconvenient for passengers using ride shares.

They could and I agree that that would have been a better solution from a passenger point of view but I suspect that such a plan was proposed and rejected by ride-share drivers/companies. The current setup is much better for them than the scheme that taxis use. Taxis have to wait in the holding area, sometimes for a long time until they get a customer. Ride share drivers can come and go as they please. This is also why Taxis can be more expensive. You're paying for time that they are idle waiting for a passenger.
 
ScottB
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:34 pm

airbazar wrote:
The addition of an airport stop wouldn't have made a huge difference for commuters. I imagine that cost was the main issue for the very small benefit it brings. They couldn't just move the stop because the airport stop actually serves the population of East Boston, so they would have to still keep that stop and just loop the line by the airport, thus an additional stop.


:rotfl: Adding about 5 minutes to every commute to/from east of Airport T "wouldn't have made a huge difference?" You are literally talking about thousands of commuter hours wasted every single day. Another 5 minutes is a huge deal on a line where the entire ride from Wonderland to Government Center or State takes about 20 minutes. And building tracks for the Blue Line into the terminal area probably wouldn't be any cheaper than just building a people mover -- it would just change the agency paying the construction bill.

airbazar wrote:
The reality now is that few passengers take the blue line to the airport. Even before Ride-share the blue line only catered to a small percentage of passengers because of how much of a PITA it is to transfer between lines. And if you're attempting to do it with luggage and at rush hour, forget it.


Nah, the real reason is that the demographics for air travel from BOS and for using the MBTA have limited overlap. You're not going to use the T to the airport if you live away from easy access to the Blue/Orange/Green/Red/Silver lines, and that excludes the vast majority of Boston's suburbs and more generally BOS's regional catchment area. You're not going to get on the Commuter Rail in Concord and make three transfers to get to the airport. Business travelers (when that returns) who can expense parking/cab/ride share/limo aren't going to use the T to the airport. So in the end you're really just talking about students, the highly price-sensitive, and airport workers using the T to get to or from BOS.

airbazar wrote:
Where the MBTA really screwed up was with the Silver Line. That line should have been a full blown, tunneled rapid transit line with an airport stop, thru Chelsea, Everett and ending in either Malden or Wellington's Orange Line stops. Instead they built a slow glorified bus line.


Yes, the T rivals Massport for incompetence. But the Silver Lie was never going to be tunneled rail to the Airport because that would require a dedicated tunnel under the Harbor, and that would have carried a ten-figure price tag. It is baffling how slow that bus moves through the tunnels, but the worst part is the stupid route the bus takes between World Trade Center and the Ted Williams Tunnel. It goes up the ramp from the WTC stop and... immediately sits at a traffic light at D Street. And then the bus goes most of the way back to South Station on the surface (and in the surface traffic) because the Staties won't share their special ramp to the Williams Tunnel. The route of the Silver Lie to the airport does actually make Massport look like a successful, functional organization in comparison to the T, I'll give you that.

airbazar wrote:
They could and I agree that that would have been a better solution from a passenger point of view but I suspect that such a plan was proposed and rejected by ride-share drivers/companies. The current setup is much better for them than the scheme that taxis use. Taxis have to wait in the holding area, sometimes for a long time until they get a customer. Ride share drivers can come and go as they please.


The rideshare companies were unhappy about the changes. And it is much, much worse for the passengers, but no one at Massport really seems to care about that. No surprise there. Cabs are expensive because of rent-seeking by medallion owners. Period. It's certainly not because they provide a high-quality service.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Funny that central parking is close enough for the T, yet too far for rideshares

Definitely agreed on central parking prices though. I park over there in the staff section, and walk by paying vehicles that are parked there for weeks at a time. Can’t even imagine how much that costs.
 
RL757PVD
Posts: 3324
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:47 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:42 pm

What they should do is have a spur of the blue line that goes to the terminals, the blue line trains are light beyond the airport anyway. Have every other train continue on to Wonderland, The airport like can also start earlier and end later, allowing those departing before 7 and arriving after midnight to use the T to downtown
 
ScottB
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:10 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
What they should do is have a spur of the blue line that goes to the terminals, the blue line trains are light beyond the airport anyway. Have every other train continue on to Wonderland, The airport like can also start earlier and end later, allowing those departing before 7 and arriving after midnight to use the T to downtown


Extended hours just to/from State/Government Center isn't terribly helpful to anyone. Relatively few people live near those stations so you're still stuck with trying to find a cab or ride share in a deserted downtown. On the way to the airport, you're talking about a cab/ride share to Government Center, lugging your stuff down to the Blue Line platform, riding to Central Parking, then slogging your way to the terminals. Virtually no one will do that. If there's a real need for 24-hour service to the airport, just run a bus from downtown every half hour or hour overnight. That's much, much cheaper than running six-car trains on the Blue Line and keeping five or six stations open.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10542
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:44 pm

ScottB wrote:
You are literally talking about thousands of commuter hours wasted every single day. Another 5 minutes is a huge deal on a line where the entire ride from Wonderland to Government Center or State takes about 20 minutes. And building tracks for the Blue Line into the terminal area probably wouldn't be any cheaper than just building a people mover -- it would just change the agency paying the construction bill.

So from now on we can only add high speed rail as public transportation? Please.
I took the OL from Oak Grove to Downtown Crossing for years. And before that the Green Line for about a decade. A 5 minute delay is an every day thing on the MBTA. Yes, people complain but guess what it's still 1000% better than driving. Heck, the OL just did exactly that by adding the Assembly Station and absolutely no one complains about the extra stop.

Yes, the T rivals Massport for incompetence. But the Silver Lie was never going to be tunneled rail to the Airport because that would require a dedicated tunnel under the Harbor, and that would have carried a ten-figure price tag.


Nonesense. The T is incompetent. Massport is risk averse and conservative. There's a big difference. Good public transit costs a lot of money. You just accused Massport of being cheap for avoiding to build a people mover :) The measly green line extension will cost well over 2 billion $. That too should have gone underground but no one in this city will ever build another subway line ever, it seems.

The rideshare companies were unhappy about the changes. And it is much, much worse for the passengers, but no one at Massport really seems to care about that. No surprise there. Cabs are expensive because of rent-seeking by medallion owners. Period. It's certainly not because they provide a high-quality service.

100% agree however I never said that ride share was happy with the move. I simply stated that it is better for them than if they had been forced into the same setup that taxis are subject to which is what you were suggesting.
 
ScottB
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:58 pm

airbazar wrote:
I took the OL from Oak Grove to Downtown Crossing for years. And before that the Green Line for about a decade. A 5 minute delay is an every day thing on the MBTA. Yes, people complain but guess what it's still 1000% better than driving. Heck, the OL just did exactly that by adding the Assembly Station and absolutely no one complains about the extra stop.


It's not just a 5-minute delay on a few trips each day. It's a 5-minute-longer journey on every single trip, every single day. It is completely unreasonable to ask commuters from Eastie, Revere, Lynn, and communities further out (as many suburban bus routes terminate at Wonderland) to take the scenic route through the airport on every Blue Line ride. The infill stop at Assembly adds maybe 30 seconds to a minute at most to each Orange Line trip -- that's far less impactful. And it has enabled an entirely new transit-oriented development project with residential, office, and retail.

airbazar wrote:
Good public transit costs a lot of money. You just accused Massport of being cheap for avoiding to build a people mover :) The measly green line extension will cost well over 2 billion $. That too should have gone underground but no one in this city will ever build another subway line ever, it seems.


They are cheap and it makes the passenger experience worse whether one is using the T or renting a car. The bus service SUCKS. The ride from Terminal A to the Rental Car Center is like 15 minutes and that's just ridiculous.

The green line extension was never going to be underground because it uses existing railroad rights-of-way. Putting it in tunnels would have probably cost $10 billion instead of $2 billion.
 
B752OS
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:09 pm

airbazar wrote:
Nonesense. The T is incompetent. Massport is risk averse and conservative. There's a big difference. Good public transit costs a lot of money. You just accused Massport of being cheap for avoiding to build a people mover :) The measly green line extension will cost well over 2 billion $. That too should have gone underground but no one in this city will ever build another subway line ever, it seems.



The green line extension is running through very dense areas of Cambridge, Somerville and Medford. It would have been very expensive and time consuming to bury the whole thing. I don't think you're going to see many, if none at all, American cities building new underground transit lines like that. NYC is building the second ave line, but that is running directly under a 5 lane avenue. Now, if you want to talk about burying the B line, or E line.........

I'd be willing to bet we see a fully built out APM at Logan by 2027.
 
User avatar
N717TW
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:24 pm

tlecam wrote:
FGITD wrote:
For those who haven't been by Logan in awhile and seen it, the New terminal E expansion is well underway. Steel framework is up, and it's really coming together. Really looking forward to the day that it opens, hopefully things will be a bit more normal by then.

Also heard that a few carriers might revert to the cargo only operations this winter. Better than losing all service, but still...it's going to be a very quiet winter I think


Thanks for the update and thinking of you and the other employees at BOS during these times. I hope you and your family are well


I was in Terminal E this week as I was finally able to renew my Global Entry (3rd scheduled interview was the charm). It was shocking how empty it was mid-afternoon when arrivals is usually packed and how few flights there were. That said the construction is moving along and as a bonus will probably be right on time for a change.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10542
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:52 pm

N717TW wrote:
I was in Terminal E this week as I was finally able to renew my Global Entry (3rd scheduled interview was the charm). It was shocking how empty it was mid-afternoon when arrivals is usually packed and how few flights there were. That said the construction is moving along and as a bonus will probably be right on time for a change.

Gee what's with the Massport bashing this week? :) Right on time and on budget has been the norm for Massport since the 'Logan2000' modernization of the 90's which was heavily tied to the BigDig. From what I hear this project is actually ahead of schedule.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:55 am

After VS initial attempt and then DL announcing taking over BOS-MAN on a 752 and then cutting it post-COVID, we now have a new player entering the BOS-MAN space. According to the thread below EI will start daily BOS-MAN (along with JFK and ORD) on a A321LR:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1454299

Nice to see BOS still adding to its TATL roster after DL's EDI and FCO and B6 BOS-STN!
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Virgin Atlantic is briefly suspending Boston through November 21st. Crazy that their will be no flights between the two cities for the next two weeks.


Not sure crazy is the right word for a brief two week period during one of the slowest times of the year *and* during a pandemic lockdown. Heck, two of the largest local markets between the US-LON (BOS & SFO) have no service on BA or VS during this period, and even UA cancelled yesterday's SFO-LHR. Yet second tier LON markets like IAH & SEA keep service? Makes no sense.

Now, MIA losing all service to major markets like CDG and FCO for several months this year was crazy!
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26681
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:45 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Virgin Atlantic is briefly suspending Boston through November 21st. Crazy that their will be no flights between the two cities for the next two weeks.


Not sure crazy is the right word for a brief two week period during one of the slowest times of the year *and* during a pandemic lockdown. Heck, two of the largest local markets between the US-LON (BOS & SFO) have no service on BA or VS during this period, and even UA cancelled yesterday's SFO-LHR. Yet second tier LON markets like IAH & SEA keep service? Makes no sense.

Now, MIA losing all service to major markets like CDG and FCO for several months this year was crazy!


Crazy that Boston doesn’t have London right now is the right word.

Rome still has no service outside of New York. This spring Paris only had New York and a few flights a week to LA and Atlanta. That wasn’t crazy whatsoever.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 pm

BOS Oct-2020 numbers are out. Nothing great to report besides negative red-line all across.

YTD total pax 2020: 11,055,636
YTD total pax 2019: 35,868,924
AAGR YTD: -69.2%

Detailed Oct-2020 stats:

Oct-20 Oct-19 % change
Domestic
Domestic Charter 916 736 24.5%
Domestic Commuter 33,468 260,873 -87.2%
Domestic Jet 673,874 2,813,882 -76.1%
Total Domestic 708,258 3,075,491 -77.0%
International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 40,133 75,047 -46.5%
Canada 2,572 85,998 -97.0%
Central America 1,048 18,008 -94.2%
Europe 16,286 390,523 -95.8%
Middle East 8,085 54,620 -85.2%
South America - 8,687 -100.0%
Trans-Pacific 776 50,659 -98.5%
Australia - -
North Africa - 2,521 -100.0%
Other International - -
Total International 68,900 686,063 -90.0%
General Aviation 4,540 9,658 -53.0%
Total airport passengers 781,698 3,771,212 -79.3%
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:16 pm

B752OS wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Nonesense. The T is incompetent. Massport is risk averse and conservative. There's a big difference. Good public transit costs a lot of money. You just accused Massport of being cheap for avoiding to build a people mover :) The measly green line extension will cost well over 2 billion $. That too should have gone underground but no one in this city will ever build another subway line ever, it seems.



The green line extension is running through very dense areas of Cambridge, Somerville and Medford. It would have been very expensive and time consuming to bury the whole thing. I don't think you're going to see many, if none at all, American cities building new underground transit lines like that. NYC is building the second ave line, but that is running directly under a 5 lane avenue. Now, if you want to talk about burying the B line, or E line.........

I'd be willing to bet we see a fully built out APM at Logan by 2027.


I also don5 understand the aversion in the US. The macroeconomic benefits of robust, rail based public transport have been studied ad nauseum. There’s no real reasonable debate. Other countries in South America, Europe and Asia regularly have underground rail based projrcts - Santiago has one now, Barcelona is expanding line 9, The Grand Paris Express project will be spectacular, and is somewhat similar to what Boston needs in that every line doesn’t go through the city center. (I may be biased, I find the Paris Metro to be spectacular.
 
AvGeekBOS
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:19 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:29 pm

Anyone else notice that the KLM AMS-BOS IS KLM617?
 
FGITD
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:00 pm

AvGeekBOS wrote:
Anyone else notice that the KLM AMS-BOS IS KLM617?


Was very intentional by KLM. Majority of the North America routes are KL6xx. Westbound odd, eastbound even.

Makes me wonder what the longest standing flight number into or out of BOS is. Must be BA or LH. I know LH423 in particular has been in use a very long time
 
cs03
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:56 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:12 am

Looking at 1989 OAG BA was using #214/#215 on LHR/BOS/LHR. An 1980 OAG shows #270/#271 on this rotation. (now for LAS services).
 
FGITD
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:29 am

cs03 wrote:
Looking at 1989 OAG BA was using #214/#215 on LHR/BOS/LHR. An 1980 OAG shows #270/#271 on this rotation. (now for LAS services).


I found a few mentions of LH420 in timetables from the mid 1970s. That was most recently used as the extra summer FRA flight.

I'm admittedly terrible at reading old timetables, but it seems to be difficult to find because for many years BOS was a tag on for so many carriers. So there are for example, AF flights in the late 40s scheduled into BOS, but using AF10 and terminating at JFK. Coincidentally, I think AF10 is still used into JFK.

Only using the AF example as that's what I'm looking at this moment. But I must say, compared to BOAC and LH, AF certainly had a far better timetable design. Very artistic
 
S0Y
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:26 pm

As expected, EI have applied to DOT for MAN-BOS daily in Summer 2021
 
737307
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:27 pm

S0Y wrote:
As expected, EI have applied to DOT for MAN-BOS daily in Summer 2021


I suppose this would be a 7th Freedom flight after a Hard Brexit. Has EI thought about that?
 
David_itl
Posts: 6459
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 7:39 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:02 pm

They have as though it may have the EI code, it will be Aer Lingus UK Ltd that will have the license
 
FGITD
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:37 pm

It would seem BOS is the last stop on the line for LH 744s headed to the desert. Bit of a sad sight but no surprise given the year we’ve had.
 
jworks158
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:37 pm

FGITD wrote:
It would seem BOS is the last stop on the line for LH 744s headed to the desert. Bit of a sad sight but no surprise given the year we’ve had.


And I'm told there are 2 more to go to the desert, 1 in January, and one in February.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 12023
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Please continue discussion in Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456057

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos