Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tnair1974

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
There is gonna be a decline this year. All the momentum BNA had the last 5 years ruined due to the virus hysteria and the MAX.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I'm still on for an upcoming business trip on DL, but will continue to monitor the situation, keep taking precautions. I'll try to give a trip report when I return.

Personally, I'm most concerned for elderly relatives including my parents as well as an aunt in a nursing facility. I was just chatting with a neighbor with twins that are now in fifth grade. She's thankful her twins are at an age in which they are more resilient to coronavirus and are not infants which, like elderly people and people with underlying conditions, are much more vulnerable. I feel the same way about my daughter who for now still plans on a spring break trip next week with friends (driving), although her college classes will be online-only when she get back.

Like SaabFA71, I've put off my trip. It's not that urgent, and some business can be done via the likes of Facetime. While I wish I could support airlines like I'm doing with restaurants (doing drive-thru/carry out when restaurants are otherwise shut down), we need to protect ourselves and our families as much as we can pragmatically do so.

To put things into a little perspective, Italy is now up to just over 600 COVID-19 fatalities in a single day.... :worried:

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:13 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
There is gonna be a decline this year. All the momentum BNA had the last 5 years ruined due to the virus hysteria and the MAX.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I'm still on for an upcoming business trip on DL, but will continue to monitor the situation, keep taking precautions. I'll try to give a trip report when I return.

Personally, I'm most concerned for elderly relatives including my parents as well as an aunt in a nursing facility. I was just chatting with a neighbor with twins that are now in fifth grade. She's thankful her twins are at an age in which they are more resilient to coronavirus and are not infants which, like elderly people and people with underlying conditions, are much more vulnerable. I feel the same way about my daughter who for now still plans on a spring break trip next week with friends (driving), although her college classes will be online-only when she get back.

Like SaabFA71, I've put off my trip. It's not that urgent, and some business can be done via the likes of Facetime. While I wish I could support airlines like I'm doing with restaurants (doing drive-thru/carry out when restaurants are otherwise shut down), we need to protect ourselves and our families as much as we can pragmatically do so.

To put things into a little perspective, Italy is now up to just over 600 COVID-19 fatalities in a single day.... :worried:

I don't know that airlines and restaurants are quite apples to apples as far as what happens when we get back to something that looks more normal. I can't have tonight's dinner in June (or whenever), but I likely can have next week's trip to Disney World.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

tys777

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 am

Random, possibly non COVID-19 item. Was searching for tickets in late August for MSP-DTW for a wedding. After the non-stop, the first connections offered were via BNA. Surprised me as usually it is CVG or the random upper peninsula cities in Michigan which can be fun to randomly connect in when the price is right.

badbnatraffic

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:48 pm

Flying back home today on WN5543, I’m anxious to see how dead BNA is. PHX was completely empty.

southwest1675

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 pm

badbnatraffic wrote:
Flying back home today on WN5543, I’m anxious to see how dead BNA is. PHX was completely empty.

Heaviest flight I worked at WN today has 17 people inbound from MCO.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:01 am

Heaviest I worked today was 5 going to PHL on F9. Crazy stuff. Hope y'all fellow BNA ppl have some job security watching your back cause it's certainly hairy over here

southwest1675

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 am

skitchie wrote:
Heaviest I worked today was 5 going to PHL on F9. Crazy stuff. Hope y'all fellow BNA ppl have some job security watching your back cause it's certainly hairy over here

We're being offered voluntary leave with 25 percent pay. A good chunk of the people I knew at Envoy got sent home this week.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dafunk10

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm

Saw a BNA TSA agent tested positive for COVID-19 today. Hadn’t been at the airport since the morning shift on the 18th though: https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus

Thinking about all of our neighbors who make their living one way or another from the success of BNA. These are trying times. I can’t wait to get back to normal life and traveling again.

southwest1675

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:46 pm

Supposedly BNA is gonna let employees temporarily start parking at the short term garage since things have been so dead. There have been concerns about sanitation on the employee bus, as well as the whole 6ft distancing ordeal. Damn shame what’s happened to the industry. This was probably gonna be another record breaking year at BNA too...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

runner13

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:56 pm

It’ll come back. Be patient.

bobphelps87

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:16 am

My biggest concern is for construction to grind to a halt. Very likely without revenue coming in. Concourse A rebuild is desperately needed, and now would be an awesome time to start! But we all know the dependencies that must be completed first. But what will be the financial status, at that time?

This will be interesting to watch the numbers fall and rise. Hopefully we will learn some patterns about the traffic through BNA and O&D. What is the effect on cargo? Will BA resume? How do peers and hubs compare?

southwest1675

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:58 pm

Mainline AA ramp got approved last night. A plus for AA's operation in Nashville. Who knows when they'll start hiring though....
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:37 pm

bobphelps87 wrote:
My biggest concern is for construction to grind to a halt. Very likely without revenue coming in. Concourse A rebuild is desperately needed, and now would be an awesome time to start! But we all know the dependencies that must be completed first. But what will be the financial status, at that time?

This will be interesting to watch the numbers fall and rise. Hopefully we will learn some patterns about the traffic through BNA and O&D. What is the effect on cargo? Will BA resume? How do peers and hubs compare?

I agree. Traffic will gradually rebound once this passes, so they need to continue with Vision 1.0 plus the Concourse A rebuild regardless. Everything else that was in the works (i.e, the runway extension, the D expansion, the satellite, etc) should be put on hold until the fallout from this is settled.

dafunk10

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:27 pm

Is the DL SkyClub expansion still moving forward? Seems like a good opportunity to shut the SC down completely and get that work done.

TangoCharlie123

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 am

Just saw that WN3864 en route to OKC landed back at BNA shortly after takeoff. Anyone know what’s up?

southwest1675

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:25 am

TangoCharlie123 wrote:
Just saw that WN3864 en route to OKC landed back at BNA shortly after takeoff. Anyone know what’s up?

Bird strike
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

reednavy

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:23 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Mainline AA ramp got approved last night. A plus for AA's operation in Nashville. Who knows when they'll start hiring though....

I'd imagine not towards the latter half of the year, at best, at this point. I think once it all settles down and things begin to get back to normal, we'll see some upgauging and maybe a new route or two.

ZazuPIT

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:03 pm

CMA Fest cancelled. City projects $300 million in lost tourism revenue this summer. Hopefully BNA Vision gets built out during the slowdown. However I think the phase 2 may be pushed back a few years. I suspect pre-virus numbers will not be reached for several years.

BNAMealer

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:03 am

ZazuPIT wrote:
CMA Fest cancelled. City projects $300 million in lost tourism revenue this summer. Hopefully BNA Vision gets built out during the slowdown. However I think the phase 2 may be pushed back a few years. I suspect pre-virus numbers will not be reached for several years.

Ouch.

I do think Vision 1.0 needs to keep going if possible as demand is eventually going to rebound, but with changes likely coming to the industry in the aftermath of this, anything beyond Vision 1.0 needs to be put on hold.

Long term, we may not need as many gates as we were talking about just a month or so ago.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 am

BNAMealer wrote:
ZazuPIT wrote:

Ouch.

I do think Vision 1.0 needs to keep going if possible as demand is eventually going to rebound, but with changes likely coming to the industry in the aftermath of this, anything beyond Vision 1.0 needs to be put on hold.

Long term, we may not need as many gates as we were talking about just a month or so ago.

Sad to see the industry, world, and BNA in its current state. A lot of potential good things that were planned at BNA will be put aside for now. I'm working flights that have 1 bag on them....
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dfdubflyer

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:56 am

Hopefully this gives BNA time to breathe and adjust to phase 1.0 and make a clear-eyed decision about 2.0. It may still be needed, or, we may find that it doesn't need to start for several more years. As disruptive as the rebuild of the central terminal will be a couple years of slightly less full might be a good thing

ZazuPIT

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:16 pm

I would guess construction currently under way will cease for awhile given the governor's stay at home order. Once lifted it's going to be a slow recovery for the airport and airlines.

Cubsrule

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:24 am

ZazuPIT wrote:
I would guess construction currently under way will cease for awhile given the governor's stay at home order. Once lifted it's going to be a slow recovery for the airport and airlines.

Construction and trades are both essential. There might be other reasons to stop, but the stay at home order isn’t one.

Jshank83

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:16 am

Cubsrule wrote:
ZazuPIT wrote:

Construction and trades are both essential. There might be other reasons to stop, but the stay at home order isn’t one.

Depends on the state. New York shut down construction also. I think most are letting it continue though.

southwest1675

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:12 am

This is a good opportunity for BNA to catch up on some things. The main terminal renovations should be easier to handle.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dafunk10

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:44 am

Am I reading correct that DL only has 2 scheduled departures today (early morning ATL, DTW) and 3 scheduled arrivals (evening ATL, DTW, SLC?

Cubsrule

Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:34 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ZazuPIT wrote:

Depends on the state. New York shut down construction also. I think most are letting it continue though.

Yup, but in Tennessee it’s essential.

BNAMealer

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:56 pm

It is going to be interesting what will happen with BNA once this virus pandemic passes. While I think the Nashville area will rebound, I am increasingly convinced that what MNAA was planning for pre-virus is going to need to be significantly revised. We could see less carriers once all said and done, so we may not need as many gates. Like I've said, I'm thinking planning/construction on the current Vision 1.0 and rebuilding Concourse A (minus the extra gate between A and B) should continue, but anything beyond that should be put on hold. Who knows if WN will still want what they were looking at before after this, if they are even the same company.

HeyHey

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:40 pm

I think it all depends on WN's strategy going forward. BNA will clearly be a focus for them going forward. However, will they view this slowdown as a way to buy time at MDW and BWI and continue to build them to where they were in February, or will they see that MDW was probably too crunched on space and rebuild their network so that places like BNA and STL are more balanced with MDW and BWI? (Not completely balanced, but more balanced than they were).

Another option: Are they going to use this time to naturally de-emphasize ATL in favor of BNA. If ATL and BNA both fall to a couple dozen flights a day during the shutdown will they regrow both equally or will they take this opportunity to shift some operations to BNA?

The good news for BNA is that the Nashville economy and population is growing at a faster rate than the nation as a whole and faster than only but a handful of other cities. Even if Southwest doesn't focus on BNA, another airline probably will.

Cubsrule

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:53 pm

Do either the WN pilot or f/a contracts prevent them from closing bases? ATL was getting down to - and was perhaps at - a level where they couldn’t shrink much more without starting to have crew scheduling issues.

Jshank83

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Where did the suggestion of ATL shrinking (and moving flights to BNA) come from? I see it on a.net sometimes but I never have seen anything that said that is actually a thing. I have seen recent (before the pandemic) memos that actually say the opposite, that they plan to grow ATL. Is the shrinking of ATL just some rumor someone started on here that got legs as people passed it around?

Cubsrule

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:08 pm

ATL has shrunk significantly since the merger. BNA has grown significantly since the merger.

Jshank83

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ATL has shrunk significantly since the merger. BNA has grown significantly since the merger.

How much has ATL shrunk? More specifically in the last 2 or 3 years after all the merger was integrated. I figure they had to shrink originally. I didn’t know if all the ATL moving to BNA talk was just because one is shrinking and one is growing or something actually was said that made people think that was an option.

And just for the record I’m not saying BNA won’t grow. I’m saying ATL and BNA are/were in the growth plans. BNA’s growth wouldn’t have been at the expense of ATL.

Cubsrule

Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

How much has ATL shrunk? More specifically in the last 2 or 3 years after all the merger was integrated. I figure they had to shrink originally. I didn’t know if all the ATL moving to BNA talk was just because one is shrinking and one is growing or something actually was said that made people think that was an option.

And just for the record I’m not saying BNA won’t grow. I’m saying ATL and BNA are/were in the growth plans. BNA’s growth wouldn’t have been at the expense of ATL.

Well, you did have frequencies to places like MSP and OKC moved almost one-for-one from ATL to BNA. They serve a pretty similar network purpose, much like MDW and STL.

southwest1675

Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:16 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I’m just a regular employee who does his 8 and comes home, but I’ve heard WN doesn’t do so hot in Atlanta. Not saying their flights are empty out of ATL, but Delta just dominates that market to be beyond belief. Southwest is paying top dollar for gates down there, so they’re holding on to as much as they can. When those gate leases expire, which I don’t know when, expect them to re-new for fewer gates and have ATL cut to your WN basics like Florida, LAS, MDW, BWI, etc. A lot of those connecting cities in ATL would more than likely be shifted to BNA. Flights like RIC, PBI, and others would go to Nashville instead.

Concourse D will open ahead of schedule on July 5th. We’re supposed to give 13, 14, 15, 17 to our friends at AA while they lose 2, 3, 5, 6 for the new IAB. While we’re giving away gates, we still gain 2 from our current number since D is opened. I’ve Once the MAX gets back, and service demand returns to what it once was, you’ll see WN have 160ish daily departures from BNA. Also, there is a ton of office space below Concourse D. We’re all expecting a full fledged crew base in the short term.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:33 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I’m just a regular employee who does his 8 and comes home, but I’ve heard WN doesn’t do so hot in Atlanta. Not saying their flights are empty out of ATL, but Delta just dominates that market to be beyond belief. Southwest is paying top dollar for gates down there, so they’re holding on to as much as they can. When those gate leases expire, which I don’t know when, expect them to re-new for fewer gates and have ATL cut to your WN basics like Florida, LAS, MDW, BWI, etc. A lot of those connecting cities in ATL would more than likely be shifted to BNA. Flights like RIC, PBI, and others would go to Nashville instead.

Concourse D will open ahead of schedule on July 5th. We’re supposed to give 13, 14, 15, 17 to our friends at AA while they lose 2, 3, 5, 6 for the new IAB. While we’re giving away gates, we still gain 2 from our current number since D is opened. I’ve Once the MAX gets back, and service demand returns to what it once was, you’ll see WN have 160ish daily departures from BNA. Also, there is a ton of office space below Concourse D. We’re all expecting a full fledged crew base in the short term.

But the question is, is the coronavirus gonna change those plans? We can’t assume things will resume like they were going to before all this hit.

Cubsrule

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:27 am

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

But the question is, is the coronavirus gonna change those plans? We can’t assume things will resume like they were going to before all this hit.

I imagine it won’t change the specific plans he describes very much at all. The IAB is funded and needs to be built, and the opening of D and subsequent movement of AA down C has to happen for the IAB to be built.

southwest1675

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:44 am

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Current BNA Vision projects are already funded and will go on as planned. While this is definitely a rough patch in our industry, the so called airline experts are expecting a quick recovery this summer. Considering oil is cheap, this will also help things out. I’m looking forward to seeing BNA jam packed come July. What I’m concerned about is how the BA flight recovers. The heavily rumored DL TATL flight more than likely got pushed as well. Supposedly DL was gonna announce CDG or AMS in the Fall, for a Spring 21 start. That’s definitely not gonna happen.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Jshank83

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:05 am

Since I asked the question I went and looked it up.

WN boardings at ATL by year (I’m on my phone and didn’t want to mess with adding the destination side, I figure it’s close enough to even)
Domestic only since INTL is incomplete for 2019.
2015 - 4.567 mil
2016 - 4.871
2017 - 4.925
2018 - 4.890
2019 - 4.464

So a drop off in 2019 but fairly flat 2016-18.

And I’d be shocked if July is very busy. WN already cut June by 50%. Everything I’ve seen is summer 2021 or 2022 to get anywhere close to last years numbers.

It will be interesting to see how this changes airlines approaches. You already have DL and UA saying the plan to be a smaller airlines on the other side of this. I thought I saw WN was going to retire some plane earlier than planned also.

Bluegrass60

Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:54 pm

This is from Dec 2019......On Wednesday, Southwest said it will add service service out of Atlanta with flights to Charleston, S.C., Panama City, Fla., and Norfolk, Va., starting June 7, 2020. With the additions, Southwest will reach 135 weekday departures out of Atlanta next summer, a weekday all-time high for the carrier in Atlanta.

dafunk10

Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:55 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Current BNA Vision projects are already funded and will go on as planned. While this is definitely a rough patch in our industry, the so called airline experts are expecting a quick recovery this summer. Considering oil is cheap, this will also help things out. I’m looking forward to seeing BNA jam packed come July. What I’m concerned about is how the BA flight recovers. The heavily rumored DL TATL flight more than likely got pushed as well. Supposedly DL was gonna announce CDG or AMS in the Fall, for a Spring 21 start. That’s definitely not gonna happen.

July is widely optimistic. Every aspect of the country is going to look so different after we come out on the other side of this, and it will be much further down the road than July. We may just begin inching out of this by then.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 am

Toughest week so far. I've only worked two days this pay period. I've been playing a little too much flight simulator to keep me occupied....
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:00 am

You and me both (all I wish is that BNA was more active on VATSIM). Of course this all had to hit just when my pushing was starting to get real good...

For real though I just want to go back to bulking out pits and drinking nasty ramp coffee at 11 at night, I'm not cut out to be a homebody haha

southwest1675

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:10 am

skitchie wrote:
You and me both (all I wish is that BNA was more active on VATSIM). Of course this all had to hit just when my pushing was starting to get real good...

For real though I just want to go back to bulking out pits and drinking nasty ramp coffee at 11 at night, I'm not cut out to be a homebody haha

I miss having to gate check 15 strollers on Florida flights. On another note, BNA needs an updated scenery.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:13 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

I miss having to gate check 15 strollers on Florida flights. On another note, BNA needs an updated scenery.
Prepar3d and FSX have a decent one but the current X-Plane pickings aren't too bueno...I thought I could try my hand at improving it with all this spare time but I'm not sim-savvy enough (that's what I say, it's actually my lack of patience).

southwest1675

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:17 am

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

Prepar3d and FSX have a decent one but the current X-Plane pickings aren't too bueno...I thought I could try my hand at improving it with all this spare time but I'm not sim-savvy enough (that's what I say, it's actually my lack of patience).

I use P3D. I've showed some of our pilots the PMDG 737NGXu. They get a kick out of it. They said it's better than the stuff they use before the full motion sim in Dallas lol.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:23 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I use P3D. I've showed some of our pilots the PMDG 737NGXu. They get a kick out of it. They said it's better than the stuff they use before the full motion sim in Dallas lol.
I need to settle on one sim or the other, I keep hopping between both. hopefully FS2020 can help stem my addiction, haha

southwest1675

Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:08 am

https://www.wkrn.com/community/health/c ... f-funding/

BNA to get 55 million from Uncle Sam...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:14 am

southwest1675 wrote:
https://www.wkrn.com/community/health/coronavirus/nashville-international-airport-set-to-receive-nearly-55-billion-in-relief-funding/

BNA to get 55 million from Uncle Sam...
The title of that article made it sound like BNA visions 2.0 through 4.0 would all be on the house, 55 million's still a hefty chunk of change though

southwest1675

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:56 pm

The North Terminal wing expansion is exposed to the public now. Spirit, Frontier, and United are setting up shop down there with room for more. BNA carpet will be a thing of the past. I dig the new marble tile.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos