Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZazuPIT

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Hopefully BA returns soon, but BNA is getting ready to be a complete disaster in terms of functionality thanks to construction. The new lobby renovations are set to break ground, and the airport will be split in two. The new IAB is getting ready for major work as well. One of the guys who works for the MNAA who happens to ride the employee bus says the hotel will be a Hilton.

This is why I think BA may wait until S21 to return. Hopefully much of the terminal work will have been done by then.

On a side note, I've been driving around Nashville quite a bit lately. It appears various construction projects have not slowed down. Our economy has broadened it's base significantly, so I expect a quicker recovery than some other cities.

southwest1675

Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:01 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Hopefully BA returns soon, but BNA is getting ready to be a complete disaster in terms of functionality thanks to construction. The new lobby renovations are set to break ground, and the airport will be split in two. The new IAB is getting ready for major work as well. One of the guys who works for the MNAA who happens to ride the employee bus says the hotel will be a Hilton.

This is why I think BA may wait until S21 to return. Hopefully much of the terminal work will have been done by then.

On a side note, I've been driving around Nashville quite a bit lately. It appears various construction projects have not slowed down. Our economy has broadened it's base significantly, so I expect a quicker recovery than some other cities.

To my understanding, much of the Tornado damage has been cleaned up too.

ZazuPIT

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:03 am

southwest1675 wrote:
ZazuPIT wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I went to the Farmers Market the other day, looks like Germantown is cleaned from what I saw

MAH4546

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:25 am

strfyr51 wrote:
bobphelps87 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I mean it depends what you mean by “can.” Can it be done literally? Sure, but it would result in the loss of gobs of federal funding, which is why no airport ever denies space to a new entrant, to the point that you wind up with stuff like ticket counters in baggage claims.

BNA guaranteed BA 2 years without competition to allow the flight to become established

I guess it never occurred to them that if they denied competition? the competition might go elsewhere? BNA is between 2 other major Hub cities, Chicago to the North, and Atlanta to the South, and to get from one to the other? You gotta pass through Nashville! . Nashville is a freighter hub. Plenty of business there too. but international Mecca? No.

There is absolutely no world in which BNA guaranteed BA two years without comeptition. That is blatantly illegal and an airport is not allowed to do that whatsoever. The fine would be in the millions of dollars if BNA did that.

dafunk10

Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:38 am

More details around April’s numbers:

- available seats were 1/3 what they were in April 2019
- Loadfactor was 9.9%

Fits what we all have heard/know but still wild to see it

https://flynashville.com/wp-content/upl ... onStat.pdf

southwest1675

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:50 pm

TPA just cancelled $905M worth of projects due to COVID. BNA seems to be full steam ahead on proposed projects.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:17 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
TPA just cancelled $905M worth of projects due to COVID. BNA seems to be full steam ahead on proposed projects.

Thankfully, it appears all the necessary bonds were issued before the pandemic hit, so the original BNA Vision will still be completed as planned.

However, my guess is everything that was being planned for after that is likely on hold indefinitely until we see how things pan out. I notice that in the MNAA board meeting minutes since the pandemic started; there has been no talk of Vision 2.0 as there was in the months prior. This pandemic likely is going to alter future needs for BNA and we may not need everything that was being previously planned.

That said, regardless of any change of plans, the one thing I still think needs to happen is the rebuild of Concourse A. The current one is simply not functional and we need to create more space for WN. Even if they were to cancel everything else for Vision 2.0, that’s the one thing that still needs to proceed.

southwest1675

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:03 pm

https://www.tnledger.com/editorial/Arti ... ?id=129887 Great read shared by the airport on social media. BNA is doing better than expected. We have some of the cheapest operating costs in the country, and Krulen doesn’t expect to lose carriers.

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 am

We’ve talked a lot about how the gate assignments will be shifting during the IAB construction, but do we know what the gate situation will be once construction is finished? Will WN regain the two gates it will loose temporarily?

ZazuPIT

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:19 am

I see they are selling pieces of the famous old carpet as well as tons of other merchandise in the carpet design layout. May have to grab some of history.

skitchie

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:23 am

ZazuPIT wrote:
I see they are selling pieces of the famous old carpet as well as tons of other merchandise in the carpet design layout. May have to grab some of history.
Only part that sucks is that it's new carpet, haha. If I were to get a slice of BNA carpet I'd want it to be THE BNA carpet you know?

southwest1675

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:10 am

skitchie wrote:
ZazuPIT wrote:
Only part that sucks is that it's new carpet, haha. If I were to get a slice of BNA carpet I'd want it to be THE BNA carpet you know?

A kid I worked with here at BNA somehow got an authentic piece of BNA carpet from a construction worker doing the current renovations.

dafunk10

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:13 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
ZazuPIT wrote:

I went to the Farmers Market the other day, looks like Germantown is cleaned from what I saw

Interesting. I actually live in this area and have been shocked at how slow the cleanup has gone. It’s actually kind of a controversy amongst neighbors.

Building all down Rosa parks and Jefferson haven’t had any work to fix or demo in weeks. I’ve drive in parts of East Nashville and Mt. Juliet that still haven’t been fixed up yet too.

ZazuPIT

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:49 pm

dafunk10 wrote:
ZazuPIT wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Interesting. I actually live in this area and have been shocked at how slow the cleanup has gone. It’s actually kind of a controversy amongst neighbors.

Building all down Rosa parks and Jefferson haven’t had any work to fix or demo in weeks. I’ve drive in parts of East Nashville and Mt. Juliet that still haven’t been fixed up yet too.

Interesting...I guess it varies street by street. I saw quite a bit of evidence of cleanup, but I didn't see all the area of destruction, just downtown and a couple of streets I use in E. Nashville.

737MAX7

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Was told WN will be bumping flights up to 91 a day in the next few weeks.

skitchie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:00 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
B concourse has been picking up quite a bit too. Not nearly as busy as it should be mind you but definitely busier than I thought we'd be around now given the current situation

737MAX7

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:06 pm

skitchie wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:
B concourse has been picking up quite a bit too. Not nearly as busy as it should be mind you but definitely busier than I thought we'd be around now given the current situation

Agreed! The last few days we’ve actually had to hold planes at gates during the last bank because the alley between C and D has been full of planes. I remarked yesterday during a push it was looking like old times again :lol:

runner13

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

New ramp procedures start on the 15th. Should be interesting to watch.

skitchie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:11 pm

runner13 wrote:
I'll be living it, man. Tows in and out of B6, every flight, until the IAB is finished (estimated 3 years). I think the two/three gates closest to the construction will be doing the same.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:28 pm

skitchie wrote:
runner13 wrote:
I'll be living it, man. Tows in and out of B6, every flight, until the IAB is finished (estimated 3 years). I think the two/three gates closest to the construction will be doing the same.

So are they breaking ground on the IAB next week?

skitchie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:37 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
skitchie wrote:
runner13 wrote:

So are they breaking ground on the IAB next week?
I assume so if they're making us tow so the workers don't get jetblasted. Still think it would be much easier to just put a blast fence around the construction area but what do I know

southwest1675

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:26 pm

The commuter parking fees at BNA just skyrocketed from $10 to $25 a month. The Pilots/FA’s aren’t too happy.

skitchie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:29 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
The commuter parking fees at BNA just skyrocketed from $10 to $25 a month. The Pilots/FA’s aren’t too happy.
I don't blame them, lol. I'd be pissed too, especially once we get booted from the garage and are back at the employee lot. $25/month to wait 20 minutes for a 5 minute bus ride to a quarter mile walk before you're even at the actual terminal is highway robbery

FL470

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

Incorrect, that 150% increase is for actual employees of the airport, many of which its paid by whatever company they work for. For the commuting pilots and FA's, its going from $25 per month to $75. A 200% increase. Its unreal and no one in administration will even answers calls or messages about it.

southwest1675

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:52 pm

FL470 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Incorrect, that 150% increase is for actual employees of the airport, many of which its paid by whatever company they work for. For the commuting pilots and FA's, its going from $25 per month to $75. A 200% increase. Its unreal and no one in administration will even answers calls or messages about it.

I think BNA is a well optimized airport, but man, the employee parking sucks. I show up to work almost an hour early just so I don’t have to chance anything. I also like to settle into my shift, and not hop off a bus and start boarding passengers 5 minutes later.

skitchie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:53 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
FL470 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I think BNA is a well optimized airport, but man, the employee parking sucks. I show up to work almost an hour early just so I don’t have to chance anything. I also like to settle into my shift, and not hop off a bus and start boarding passengers 5 minutes later.
Hopefully this new garage will let the employee lot move somewhere closer and actually on the property.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:58 pm

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
FL470 wrote:

Hopefully this new garage will let the employee lot move somewhere closer and actually on the property.

I think when they rebuild/relocate Donnelson Pike and the airport roadways, they’ll be redoing a bunch of the parking lots as well.

Jshank83

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:38 pm

Sun Country seeks waiver extension for 3 months thru the end of September. BNA included.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... extension/

skitchie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Sun Country seeks waiver extension for 3 months thru the end of September. BNA included.

Does this mean they're vying to pause all their ops to BNA? including their current MSP route?

Jshank83

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:58 pm

skitchie wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Does this mean they're vying to pause all their ops to BNA? including their current MSP route?

Yes, they could. Doesn't mean they will. I would guess there would at least be a little bit of a pause. Some of the airports in the last one still at the moment have service scheduled to start up (we will see if it actually does).

737MAX7

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:40 pm

So the gates at the D concourse have their stop marks painted and apparently there are stop marks for the MAX 9 and MAX 10. Apparently this was done on request from WN. Stayed tuned

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:46 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
So the gates at the D concourse have their stop marks painted and apparently there are stop marks for the MAX 9 and MAX 10. Apparently this was done on request from WN. Stayed tuned

This doesn’t mean much, airports paint those kind of marks all the time. I doubt WN will be acquiring either aircraft anytime soon. Plus, that would be a very tight fit in that ally, it’s already going to be tight as it is!

southwest1675

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:55 pm

737MAX7 wrote:

I saw that also. Concourse B and C11 have markings for planes that don’t come to BNA regularly.

737MAX7

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:00 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:

This doesn’t mean much, airports paint those kind of marks all the time. I doubt WN will be acquiring either aircraft anytime soon. Plus, that would be a very tight fit in that ally, it’s already going to be tight as it is!

I understand that, I just find it interesting it was done on request from WN. According to local management it was done because WN has expressed interest in both. We’ll see what happens, all I know is I have zero desire to work an MCO MAX 10 :lol:

jplatts

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:39 pm

WN adding BNA-GRR nonstop service might be a possibility with WN reducing MDW-GRR from 3 daily nonstops down to only 1 daily nonstop starting in November 2020.

The PDEW of BNA-GRR was 59 passengers per day in Q3 2019, compared to a PDEW of only 7 passengers per day on MDW-GRR in Q3 2019.

WN would also be able to connect passengers to DAL, HOU, MSY, ATL, CHS, PNS, ECP, JAX, MCO, TPA, and FLL from GRR through BNA if WN adds BNA-GRR nonstop service.

WN can likely make BNA-GRR nonstop service work once demand for domestic air travel returns to normal levels with the cuts that WN is making on the MDW-GRR nonstop route. WN would probably also have more O&D on BNA-GRR than it did on MDW-GRR (at least once demand for domestic air travel returns to normal levels) if it adds BNA-GRR nonstop service.

southwest1675

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:55 pm

I see BNA now has a “Ramp Advisory” frequency. Is this like a UNICOM for the ramp? Anyone at BNA ATC have an explanation for this? I’ve heard conflicting reports from reputable sources if BNA is gonna get a controlled ramp or not.

woodfinx

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:45 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I see BNA now has a “Ramp Advisory” frequency. Is this like a UNICOM for the ramp? Anyone at BNA ATC have an explanation for this? I’ve heard conflicting reports from reputable sources if BNA is gonna get a controlled ramp or not.

It's the UNICOM frequency - 122.95.

We've recommended a ramp control but MNAA/airlines don't want to pay for it.

The ramp is uncontrolled and we can't provide instructions to aircraft in non movement areas. We can't even see the north ramp or backside of C from the tower.

If anyone calls for push, etc we'll tell them ramp is uncontrolled and they can broadcast on 122.95.

Cubsrule

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 pm

woodfinx wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

The ramp is uncontrolled and we can't provide instructions to aircraft in non movement areas. We can't even see the north ramp or backside of C from the tower.

If anyone calls for push, etc we'll tell them ramp is uncontrolled and they can broadcast on 122.95.

Ramp control on A or the north side of B would require construction of a(nother) ramp tower, wouldn't it? I don't think the north side of the ramp is visible from the existing ramp tower. Then again, the need is much less up that way.

TangoCharlie123

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Is D concourse still scheduled to open in July, or has that been pushed back because of COVID?

southwest1675

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:05 am

TangoCharlie123 wrote:
Is D concourse still scheduled to open in July, or has that been pushed back because of COVID?

Opening July 16th.

woodfinx

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:51 am

Cubsrule wrote:
woodfinx wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Ramp control on A or the north side of B would require construction of a(nother) ramp tower, wouldn't it? I don't think the north side of the ramp is visible from the existing ramp tower. Then again, the need is much less up that way.

They could probably do it. Might have to supplement with a few cameras.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:13 am

At risk of attracting certain users, has anyone heard any further talk about future WN plans for BNA I’m light of the COVID-19 pandemic? It seems they are refocusing on ATL so that may hurt BNA’s growth a bit.

Are there still long range plans for WN taking all of C and opening a full crew base? I would imagine plans could be delayed due to the Concourse A rebuild (which will be needed for WN to take all of C) potentially being pushed back.

southwest1675

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:11 am

BNAMealer wrote:
At risk of attracting certain users, has anyone heard any further talk about future WN plans for BNA I’m light of the COVID-19 pandemic? It seems they are refocusing on ATL so that may hurt BNA’s growth a bit.

Are there still long range plans for WN taking all of C and opening a full crew base? I would imagine plans could be delayed due to the Concourse A rebuild (which will be needed for WN to take all of C) potentially being pushed back.

Southwest loves to compete wherever they can. They’re paying a premium for gates in ATL, and DL just got rid of their maddogs. They wanna try and pick up some of void of the reduced DL frequencies in ATL. I haven’t heard anything about ATL affecting BNA’s growth, but some of the guys who transferred to BNA from ATL tell me it’s ran like a circus down there.

jplatts

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:45 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Southwest loves to compete wherever they can. They’re paying a premium for gates in ATL, and DL just got rid of their maddogs. They wanna try and pick up some of void of the reduced DL frequencies in ATL. I haven’t heard anything about ATL affecting BNA’s growth, but some of the guys who transferred to BNA from ATL tell me it’s ran like a circus down there.

While WN still plans on operating 3 daily nonstops to ATL from GSP, WN re-adding BNA-GSP nonstop service might be a possibility with
(a) WN discontinuing ATL-LAX/OAK/SAN nonstop service on October 31st,
(b) WN recently making cuts on other shorter routes that have a high percentage of connecting passengers, including the discontinuation of WN DAL-OKC nonstop service back in January 2020, the discontinuation of WN IND-MDW nonstop service on October 31st, and the reduction of GRR-MDW nonstop service from 3 daily nonstops to 1 daily nonstop starting on November 2nd,
(c) WN having nonstop service out of BNA to some destinations that it does not currently serve nonstop from ATL such as BUR, DTW, MSP, PNS, and SJC, and
(d) WN having nonstop service out of BNA to destinations such as BUR, DAL, MKE, MSP, OKC, and SJC that it did not serve nonstop from BNA back when WN last operated BNA-GSP nonstop service.

Here were the load factors of WN BNA-GSP nonstop service back in 2013 and 2014:
2013 - 63.62%
2014 - 65.20%

Here were the load factors of WN ATL-GSP and BWI-GSP in 2019:
ATL-GSP - 69.08%
BWI-GSP - 80.50%

An article in the Upstate Business Journal said that "In June 2014, Southwest eliminated the Nashville flight because, it said, about half of those customers were actually connecting to other flights for travel destinations beyond that hub", and that article can be found at https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/sout ... leave-gsp/.

The circumstances have changed since WN dropped BNA-GSP nonstop service as WN only serves ATL and BWI nonstop from GSP and as approximately 98.8% of passengers were connecting to other destinations on WN's ATL-GSP nonstop flights in Q3 2019 compared to 66.0% of passengers on WN's BNA-GSP nonstop flights in Q1 2014.

WN can likely make BNA-GSP nonstop service work once demand for domestic air travel returns to normal levels with
(a) WN being able to offer connections to additional destinations such as BUR, DAL, MKE, MSP, OKC, and SJC from GSP through BNA if WN re-adds BNA-GSP nonstop service,
(b) the cuts that WN has made at ATL in the last 3 years, including the discontinuation of WN ATL-BOS/DTW/LAX/MSP/OAK/SAN nonstop service and frequency reductions on other WN nonstop routes out of ATL, and
(c) WN likely having more O&D on BNA-GSP than it does on ATL-GSP if WN re-adds BNA-GSP nonstop service.

antoniemey

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 am

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
FL470 wrote:

MNAA has never once moved airport employees to closer parking on a long-term basis. I don't think you should hold your breath on them starting now.

southwest1675

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:16 am

I checked out the new garage after my shift today. It’s pretty fancy. Looking forward to seeing it full in the future.

miguel0881

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:12 am

Can anyone tell me why on earth BNA needs an IAB?! The only international flights aside from BA's short lived LHR flight and the occasional winter CUN frequency are to pre-clearance destinations in Canada. And who knows if BA will even resume. Seems like a prestige project and huge waste of resources.

southwest1675

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:24 am

miguel0881 wrote:
Can anyone tell me why on earth BNA needs an IAB?! The only international flights aside from BA's short lived LHR flight and the occasional winter CUN frequency are to pre-clearance destinations in Canada. And who knows if BA will even resume. Seems like a prestige project and huge waste of resources.

They’ll be multi use gates as well. Bottom level will handle international services, top floor will handle domestic departures. The BA flight was actually one of their best performing routes, with the 787-10 daily upgauge this summer before COVID. There was speculation DL was gonna add CDG as well. It’s built for the future of BNA. In the coming years we’ll see flights to Mexico and even Japan I bet.

miguel0881

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 am

southwest1675 wrote:
miguel0881 wrote:

They’ll be multi use gates as well. Bottom level will handle international services, top floor will handle domestic departures. The BA flight was actually one of their best performing routes, with the 787-10 daily upgauge this summer before COVID. There was speculation DL was gonna add CDG as well. It’s built for the future of BNA. In the coming years we’ll see flights to Mexico and even Japan I bet.

Doubtful. That traffic can easily route through DFW, ORD, ATL, IAH, IAD and a host of other places. And if BNA was such a great performer for BA, why did they drop it during the pandemic? BA has continued to provide pax and/or cargo service to a number of North American markets, but BNA is not one of those. There's no need for it when they can so easily route pax through ORD with their alliance partner AA, just as they did for the last 20 years. Anyway, BA is hanging on by a thread right now and will not be looking to take any risks for many years. It was an interesting but short lived experiment.

Rjh3h

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:10 am

miguel0881 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
miguel0881 wrote:

Doubtful. That traffic can easily route through DFW, ORD, ATL, IAH, IAD and a host of other places. And if BNA was such a great performer for BA, why did they drop it during the pandemic? BA has continued to provide pax and/or cargo service to a number of North American markets, but BNA is not one of those. There's no need for it when they can so easily route pax through ORD with their alliance partner AA, just as they did for the last 20 years. Anyway, BA is hanging on by a thread right now and will not be looking to take any risks for many years. It was an interesting but short lived experiment.

Well, as a reminder in case you forgot, we are still in a pandemic and most countries have restricted travel between one another (I.e. the US and U.K. are restricting travel and instituting mandatory quarantines between one another). Further, there are only limited airports that allow international travel into the US, and of course BNA is not one of those (neither is AUS, BWI, RDU, etc.). Lastly, as most of us have done (can’t speak for you) we’ve been in quarantine-not sure this is the best time to be going to London/Europe or Nashville (for the Europeans) when things are mostly closed and also most companies have paused any sort of travel for the time being.

I will add that I have taken this flight several times over the last couple of year and it’s been absolutely filled both ways, so I am curious what your basis is for saying that it has been permanently “dropped”?

There’s nothing wrong with planning for the future. These things take time to build and develop and don't spring up overnight. The IAB won’t be done for at least two more years. Let’s all hope we are back to where we were a year ago by then. Sounds like if you were in charge, we’d still be utilizing the old airport terminal that was off of Briley...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos