Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

southwest1675

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
At the airport today for my first flight during the pandemic. Let me confirm the sentiment that getting as much construction as possible done while passenger counts are low is the right move. I can’t imagine this place right now with normal summer passenger counts. Opening D will help some, though the Southwest gates don’t seem to be the craziest.

BNA is currently looking like it did circa 2005.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Cubsrule

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Mac289 wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Any word on being a controlled ramp for at least that area? While unlikely, it just seems like a recipe for an expensive accident.

Nothing I’ve heard on the controlled ramp front. You are 100% correct about it being a recipe for disaster since some of my fellow employees have no idea how to turn an airplane. Bring the popcorn!

Right now I'm hearing it will be controlled by WN ops, NOT the airport. This should be absolutely thrilling.

After running through the test fitments, the lead in lines for D1 and D6 are going to be removed due to excessive tail drift with the 800s. Quite a bit of correcting on D6 had to be done when the pilot was pulling in just to get the tail to follow in line and not cause a wingtip to hang over the safety zone.

They brought up the idea of Push-Pulls to line the aircraft up with the dots on the ramp that have been painted, but that got shot down pretty quickly. D1 will be a decently challenging push, even for those with experience. D concourse will be pushing to the nearest taxi line and dots, C concourse will be doing the same with their taxi line. As of right now, D1, C4, C7, C9, and C16 are going to be gates where you have to do the 180. C16 and D1 will likely be the most difficult pushes, especially with 800s. D2 will be an S turn, reminiscent of the old way of pushing C4 so as to get the plane on the dot. D3-6 Should be fairly easy.

It looks like they’ve gone ahead and started the new push procedures off of 4/7/9/16/18 (I’m not sure if 20 is changing). We made an . . . interesting . . . S turn off of 18 this morning.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

737MAX7

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Mac289 wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Any word on being a controlled ramp for at least that area? While unlikely, it just seems like a recipe for an expensive accident.

Nothing I’ve heard on the controlled ramp front. You are 100% correct about it being a recipe for disaster since some of my fellow employees have no idea how to turn an airplane. Bring the popcorn!

Right now I'm hearing it will be controlled by WN ops, NOT the airport. This should be absolutely thrilling.

After running through the test fitments, the lead in lines for D1 and D6 are going to be removed due to excessive tail drift with the 800s. Quite a bit of correcting on D6 had to be done when the pilot was pulling in just to get the tail to follow in line and not cause a wingtip to hang over the safety zone.

They brought up the idea of Push-Pulls to line the aircraft up with the dots on the ramp that have been painted, but that got shot down pretty quickly. D1 will be a decently challenging push, even for those with experience. D concourse will be pushing to the nearest taxi line and dots, C concourse will be doing the same with their taxi line. As of right now, D1, C4, C7, C9, and C16 are going to be gates where you have to do the 180. C16 and D1 will likely be the most difficult pushes, especially with 800s. D2 will be an S turn, reminiscent of the old way of pushing C4 so as to get the plane on the dot. D3-6 Should be fairly easy.

This is going to be a complete you know what show. *insert kermit the frog drinking tea meme*

southwest1675

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:49 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
Mac289 wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:

This is going to be a complete you know what show. *insert kermit the frog drinking tea meme*

And I know those ramp sups are gonna want 7,9, 16, and 18 to push at the same time....
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Anyone know if AA BNA-LAX was originally 3x daily?

I'm seeing it 3x Thu, Fri, Sat starting in October, and 3x daily starting in April. Is that new?
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

reednavy

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

I'm seeing it 3x Thu, Fri, Sat starting in October, and 3x daily starting in April. Is that new?

It was 3x daily for many times during the year, with fluctuations down to 2x daily during slower points in the calendar year. It's a highly competitive route, so we'll see what shakes out amongst AA, DL, & WN.

ZazuPIT

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:29 pm

reednavy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It was 3x daily for many times during the year, with fluctuations down to 2x daily during slower points in the calendar year. It's a highly competitive route, so we'll see what shakes out amongst AA, DL, & WN.

Didn't SY fly this for a short time, less than daily?

Jshank83

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:19 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Didn't SY fly this for a short time, less than daily?

Still on the schedule to start back up in August and run into December. I think it was supposed to run during the summer originally. Correct about less than daily.

southwest1675

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:43 pm

reednavy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I forgot NK is also on the route.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Mac289 wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:
reednavy wrote:

[quote="Mac289"][quote="737MAX7"][quote="reednavy"]
So does this mean the C concourse tower will be repurposed? I've wanted to get a look up there since I got hired at BNA but I've never known who to talk to, haha

Mac289

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 am

skitchie wrote:
Mac289 wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:

Mac289 wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:

Not as far as i'm aware. They will be controlling things from WNs command center in BNA. Lots of screens, lots of cameras, not enough pre planning and an utter lack situational awareness.

So when we at WN say stuff about kermit drinking tea memes or eating popcorn and watching the dumpster fire... that's what we mean. They are wholly unprepared for the magnitude of controlling that alley. It was bad enough whenever the ramp was partially closed behind C22 and they simply had to control arrivals and departures around the corner.

I'm selling tickets btw to the 3 ring bna circus. It opens on July 17th!

jplatts

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:10 am

There are some more routes that could be added by NK out of BNA such as BNA-BOS, BNA-ORD, BNA-DFW, BNA-DTW, BNA-IAH, and BNA-MYR once demand for domestic air travel returns with BNA being a major leisure destination.

TangoCharlie123

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:35 pm

jplatts wrote:
There are some more routes that could be added by NK out of BNA such as BNA-BOS, BNA-ORD, BNA-DFW, BNA-DTW, BNA-IAH, and BNA-MYR once demand for domestic air travel returns with BNA being a major leisure destination.

All of these routes have major competition from legacy carriers (with the exception of MYR). Why would NK try and compete on them?

reednavy

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 pm

jplatts wrote:

NK needs to become more established at BNA in order to try to go over the big houses you mentioned. I honestly don't see MYR being added because most leisure travelers out of BNA prefer to go to Florida or just drive.

jplatts

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm

TangoCharlie123 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

All of these routes have major competition from legacy carriers (with the exception of MYR). Why would NK try and compete on them?

NK already has nonstop service out of BOS, ORD, DFW, DTW, and IAH to other major leisure destinations in the Southeastern U.S.

While WN already serves DAL and HOU nonstop from BNA, AA is currently the only airline serving BNA nonstop from DFW, and UA is currently the only airline serving BNA nonstop from IAH. NK can likely make BNA-DFW and BNA-IAH nonstop service work, even with WN operating BNA-DAL/HOU nonstop service, due to
(a) NK being able to offer lower fares than AA, UA, or WN,
(b) some travelers in the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston markets that would rather fly out of DFW or IAH instead of DAL or HOU,
(c) NK already competing with both AA and WN on most of its nonstop routes out of DFW,
(d) NK already competing against both UA and WN on most of its nonstop routes out of IAH, and
(e) DFW and IAH both being two of the largest NK stations.

NK can likely make DTW-BNA nonstop service work, even with both DL and WN already serving BNA nonstop from DTW, due to (a) NK being much bigger in the DTW market than WN, (b) NK being able to undercut WN and DL on fares on the DTW-BNA route, and (c) NK being able to capture significant O&D traffic on the DTW end of the route if NK adds DTW-BNA nonstop service.

southwest1675

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 pm

Mac289 wrote:
skitchie wrote:
Mac289 wrote:

Mac289 wrote:

Not as far as i'm aware. They will be controlling things from WNs command center in BNA. Lots of screens, lots of cameras, not enough pre planning and an utter lack situational awareness.

So when we at WN say stuff about kermit drinking tea memes or eating popcorn and watching the dumpster fire... that's what we mean. They are wholly unprepared for the magnitude of controlling that alley. It was bad enough whenever the ramp was partially closed behind C22 and they simply had to control arrivals and departures around the corner.

I'm selling tickets btw to the 3 ring bna circus. It opens on July 17th!

Guarantee we’re gonna see at least 1 plane sitting on the blast fence with a missing winglet soon.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:20 pm

Anyone wanna have a get together on top of P6 on opening day? I'll bring chips, lol

southwest1675

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 pm

skitchie wrote:
Anyone wanna have a get together on top of P6 on opening day? I'll bring chips, lol

Supposed to have 150 flights in the fall, so the evening rush will be a hoot. Every gate filled, with 3 sitting out by the pad waiting for their gate to open. These wing walkers are really gonna have to contribute now. Some are pretty lazy.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

FlyGuyNash

Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:50 am

It took a pandemic but Delta finally is putting mainline service between Nashville and NYC, surprisingly it is JFK. Starting August 1st daily JFK on the 220. Also the schedule in general is looking much better.

7x ATL
2x SLC
2x BOS
4x MSP
4xDTW
3x LGA
2x JFK
1x LAX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos