Bluegrass60

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:45 am

[quote="BNAMealer"]Gary Kelly said in a video at the WN HOU maintenance hanger that WN will be focusing on 3 cities for growth this decade. HOU was mentioned as one, but the others were not mentioned. I wonder where BNA falls in their plans for the decade?[/quote

DEN, HOU, BWI ....all 3 have expansions directly involving WN

Jshank83

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:10 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Gary Kelly said in a video at the WN HOU maintenance hanger that WN will be focusing on 3 cities for growth this decade. HOU was mentioned as one, but the others were not mentioned. I wonder where BNA falls in their plans for the decade?

BWI/DEN have also been talked about as being grown a bunch.

Edit: I didn’t see the post above this already had them when I wrote this.

bnabnabna

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:33 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Gary Kelly said in a video at the WN HOU maintenance hanger that WN will be focusing on 3 cities for growth this decade. HOU was mentioned as one, but the others were not mentioned. I wonder where BNA falls in their plans for the decade?

They wouldn’t be taking all of D if they weren’t planning on growing at BNA.

southwest1675

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 am

WN in Nashville was mentioned for growth in an Earnings call recently.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-tran ... ll-tr.aspx
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm

I don’t think WN’s focus on the “cornerstone” trio of DEN/BWI/HOU necessarily precludes growth at BNA. I don’t expect BNA to reach the flight levels of those cities (whom I expect will reach 300ish flights), but I could most definitely see it in the next tier down underneath those cities. Between C & D, they could have anywhere from 24-28 gates plus access to the CUTE IAB gates. That’s plenty for a 200-250 flight operation, which is where I believe BNA will wind up eventually.

Lexy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:43 pm

God BWI is a dump and HOU...ugh

The DEN love affair is exhausting too.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:14 pm

Lexy wrote:

Well, DEN has a ton of space, is booming economically and is far away from most major WN stations. I can totally see why they are growing so fast.

Jshank83

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:47 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Lexy wrote:

Well, DEN has a ton of space, is booming economically and is far away from most major WN stations. I can totally see why they are growing so fast.

Really good location for taking a connection to/from somewhere out west also. I usually try to go thru there anytime I can if I am going to have to take a stop. It pretty much on the way to everything. Same reason I like SLC on DL.

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:44 pm

From Hensel Phelps on Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/HenselPhelps/status/1217809072541618177

@SouthwestAir recently awarded Hensel Phelps the @Fly_Nashville Concourse C Expansion & Concourse D Build Out. This project consists of the build out in the new Concourse D ramp level and the remodel of an existing Concourse C training room. #aviation #construction

Not sure what this means or if this relates to the rumored crew spaces being built under Concourse D.

southwest1675

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:57 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
From Hensel Phelps on Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/HenselPhelps/status/1217809072541618177

@SouthwestAir recently awarded Hensel Phelps the @Fly_Nashville Concourse C Expansion & Concourse D Build Out. This project consists of the build out in the new Concourse D ramp level and the remodel of an existing Concourse C training room. #aviation #construction

Not sure what this means or if this relates to the rumored crew spaces being built under Concourse D.

Well that Concourse C training room is right before gate C4. They might be expanding Southwest Airlines University which is held in that room. SWAU hosts classes for all new hires. Employees from other small stations in the SE are flown up to BNA for some training. Interesting rumblings. Local management doesn’t tell employees too much. Only thing I could get out of them was the new gate situation once D opens, and the new IAB is built. Which WN is losing 13,14,15,17 to AA. Still gaining 2 new gates with the D Concourse opening. The assumption is that AA will move into the new A, and WN will finally get their hands on the rest of C in a few years. The possibilities are endless. However the buildout under D definitely shows signs that a base will come to fruition.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

tphuang

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Jetblue is adding 2x daily service to jfk

ThaneC

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:23 pm

JetBlue adds BNA-JFK, 2X daily, starting in April.

JFK - BNA Flight #1073
8:00 a.m. – 9:39 a.m.

BNA - JFK Flight #1074
10:25 a.m. – 1:48 p.m.

JFK - BNA Flight #983
4:40 p.m. – 6:19 p.m.

BNA - JFK Flight #978
7:05 p.m. – 10:28 p.m.

southwest1675

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:24 pm

tphuang wrote:

Looks like those employee bus rumors came to be. I see it starts in April. 2x daily on A320s. Excellent additions. BNA is off to a good start for 2020.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

bval

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 pm

I haven't seen mention in here of BA going to a 781 in September, but it's been announced:
https://onemileatatime.com/british-airw ... _nashville

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:40 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Looks like those employee bus rumors came to be. I see it starts in April. 2x daily on A320s. Excellent additions. BNA is off to a good start for 2020.

What took so long for this route?

I wonder if DL will respond by adding mainline to NYC.

tphuang

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Slots my friend. Those JFK slots that are getting used here are good slots. B6 is pretty cautious with adding within perimeter routes out of JFK. It's their golden goose after all.

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:57 pm

tphuang wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Slots my friend. Those JFK slots that are getting used here are good slots. B6 is pretty cautious with adding within perimeter routes out of JFK. It's their golden goose after all.

So they must be pretty confident in the potential of this route.

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 pm

bval wrote:
I haven't seen mention in here of BA going to a 781 in September, but it's been announced:

Does this mean it’s going daily year round?

southwest1675

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
bval wrote:

I’ve been interested in WN’s future in BNA, that I forgot about BA. I saw on BNA’s 2019 recap that BA was going daily. Not sure if that was for summer only or not, but I’ll definitely take a look.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:12 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
bval wrote:

I’ve been interested in WN’s future in BNA, that I forgot about BA. I saw on BNA’s 2019 recap that BA was going daily. Not sure if that was for summer only or not, but I’ll definitely take a look.

It was 5x summer/4x winter weekly 788 flights initially. Last year, it went to daily 789 in the summer and 5x weekly 788 in winter. Now it’s going daily 789 until September when the 78J replaces it, but will it stay beyond the end of October or will it go back to 5x weekly 788?

capt505

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 pm

As a retired AA pilot, I always have to be interested what American can do in Nashville this year. I live in Dallas, but my granddaughter goes to Vandy. I stay in the Nashville loop. BNA-PHX seems like a no brainier but I guess Southwest really does have all the market share between the cities. That prevents AA from taking a gamble on the route. I don't see how a daily 319 couldn't work. Now it seems like BOS could be on the table for AA, but I know BNA-BOS is already covered well. I'm impressed with BNA. I've been there 3 times in the last year, and can tell it's busier than the hub days that I was proud to be apart of. Southwest hit a gold mine years ago. I also heard Skywest was looking to put a crew base in Nashville. Anyone heard any other rumblings about that? I know they do quite a bit of regional flying there, and have a MX base. Who knows?

tphuang

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:06 am

BNAMealer wrote:
tphuang wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I did a look through the comparables, I think this should do at least as well as Atlanta, which is a very successful route for them. What I also think will happen is aa will get chased off JFK. Hard to imagine those 44 seaters can compete with the much lower cost of jetblue a320.

BNAMealer

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 pm

tphuang wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I did a look through the comparables, I think this should do at least as well as Atlanta, which is a very successful route for them. What I also think will happen is aa will get chased off JFK. Hard to imagine those 44 seaters can compete with the much lower cost of jetblue a320.

Yeah, it’s a mystery to me why AA still flies BNA-JFK with the size plane they do. I do believe this could be the final nail in the coffin for that service.

I also think this will get DL to upgauge some of its BNA-NYC service to mainline.

southwest1675

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:44 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
tphuang wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Yeah, it’s a mystery to me why AA still flies BNA-JFK with the size plane they do. I do believe this could be the final nail in the coffin for that service.

I also think this will get DL to upgauge some of its BNA-NYC service to mainline.

An A319 to LGA might be on the table.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:27 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
tphuang wrote:

You know, I looked more into that, and I don’t think that will happen. Outside of MSY, DL doesn’t really do mainline from LGA to midsized cities, it’s mainly major cities and Florida. Not even RDU has DL mainline to LGA.

Instead, I think DL’s two JFK flights will be upgauged to mainline. RDU, AUS and MSY have all mainline JFK flights that compete with B6, so I expect DL to do the same here.

southwest1675

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:01 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

You know, I looked more into that, and I don’t think that will happen. Outside of MSY, DL doesn’t really do mainline from LGA to midsized cities, it’s mainly major cities and Florida. Not even RDU has DL mainline to LGA.

Instead, I think DL’s two JFK flights will be upgauged to mainline. RDU, AUS and MSY have all mainline JFK flights that compete with B6, so I expect DL to do the same here.

Interesting. Looks like AA does the similar thing with LGA. I prefer JFK anyway. The Airtrain is super convenient. I get to Long Island with no trouble. I plan on going back to NYC this summer, and I’m most likely gonna give JetBlue a try this time around. Now I’m interested to see what happens with those 145s AA runs to JFK. My guess is probably nothing, but maybe an upgauge could come around. I remember when DL would constantly cut BNA-JFK and add it again months later. Also, Ryman Hospitality has quite a few connections to NYC. They’ve been pitching Nashville to New Yorkers for years.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Jshank83

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:04 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

They have been running one Monday only STL-LGA. Currently scheduled to end in May but they seem to keep pushing it thru the schedule. Not that 1 a week is anything special but just wanted to note it.

southwest1675

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

They have been running one Monday only STL-LGA. Currently scheduled to end in May but they seem to keep pushing it thru the schedule. Not that 1 a week is anything special but just wanted to note it.

I do remember seeing 717s/A319s pop up every once in awhile on BNA-LGA about 2 summers ago. Who knows.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Jshank83

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:13 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I do remember seeing 717s/A319s pop up every once in awhile on BNA-LGA about 2 summers ago. Who knows.

Yea, I don't think it would be too far fetched to see one frequency go mainline. Maybe start seeing more A220s go in there.

BNAMealer

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Yea, I don't think it would be too far fetched to see one frequency go mainline. Maybe start seeing more A220s go in there.

Perhaps, but I think we’ll see both JFK flights upgauged first.

tphuang

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:18 pm

A lot of DL upgauging at JFK is due to facing B6 A320/A321 competition. DL RJ unit cost is probably 50% higher than A320. Although, there are quite a few places where that's not the case. So I wouldn't be surprised to see B717 here. AA's 44 seaters are probably all slowly going away. Hard to make 44 seat feeder network work when you don't have enough international flights to hop on to.

That's how we get lower fares here in NYC. I really hate legacies giving us reduced capacity RJ and charging outrageous fares.

southwest1675

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:38 pm

What other flights do you think BNA will pick up in the near future?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

TheZ

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Always great to see more service! Hopefully JetBlue continues to expand their network in Nashville and beyond.
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

gsg013

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
gsg013 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

That was my point. Airline O&D isn’t going to be that high because people can drive so easily.

I've done the Southern Airways flight it goes out of Atlantic Aviation FBO. If the weather is good it is fairly convenient... I would love if they could fly it with a small Jet and make it a premium route... who know's

If you don’t mind me asking, what parts of Memphis and Nashville were you starting from and going to? My issue with the flight is mostly with the airport locations, which are not very close to most of my usual origins and destinations.

At the time I was going from Hillsboro village to East Memphis. It was not normal to have taken the flight I was going on a Thursday evening and had to be there Friday morning for meetings. My wife had commitments in Nashville Friday and was going to drive friday afternoon. We didn't want to end up with both cars in Memphis for the weekend.

Basically it was 15 min ride to BNA all in 1 hour over to memphis and then a 20 minute uber to my destination.

dfdubflyer

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:51 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

It was 5x summer/4x winter weekly 788 flights initially. Last year, it went to daily 789 in the summer and 5x weekly 788 in winter. Now it’s going daily 789 until September when the 78J replaces it, but will it stay beyond the end of October or will it go back to 5x weekly 788?

Looks like currently it’s due to go back 5x weekly at the end of October. No F loaded so I supposed that’s a 788. That far out though so many things can change so it could depend on how this low season looks ex-BNA for them.

bval

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:09 am

BNAMealer wrote:

I fly their 5x daily BNA-LGA "shuttle" on the E175 all the time and have always assumed the JFK flights are solely for international connections. AA might not have much TATL out of JFK besides their joint venture with BA but there's plenty of other Oneworld carriers to connect with there.

dfdubflyer

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:33 am

I dont think the E-140s to JFK are a new reduction or a nail in the coffin. I can remember flying those to/from New York to connect for family vacations to Europe as far back as '12. I haven't checked the schedule lately but they used to work well ex-BNA for the TATL bank.

This flight work for a specific niche though, right? People who need/want to connect via NYC for whatever reason and dont want to do a LGA/JFK change (my mother refuses to do this for instance).

BNAMealer

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:21 am

bval wrote:
I fly their 5x daily BNA-LGA "shuttle" on the E175 all the time and have always assumed the JFK flights are solely for international connections. AA might not have much TATL out of JFK besides their joint venture with BA but there's plenty of other Oneworld carriers to connect with there.

dfdubflyer wrote:
I dont think the E-140s to JFK are a new reduction or a nail in the coffin. I can remember flying those to/from New York to connect for family vacations to Europe as far back as '12. I haven't checked the schedule lately but they used to work well ex-BNA for the TATL bank.

This flight work for a specific niche though, right? People who need/want to connect via NYC for whatever reason and dont want to do a LGA/JFK change (my mother refuses to do this for instance).

How many connections can you realistically do at JFK on AA vs PHL/ORD/CLT? With AA continuing to cut JFK back, I imagine it is getting less and less.

Will they cut BNA-JFK? Who knows. The thing is though they will get killed in CASM with B6’s A320s entering the market and DL likely upgauging BNA-JFK to mainline (I think this is inevitable), so is it worthwhile for AA at the end of the day?

I do think LGA is more than safe though, that’s a completely different situation.

tphuang

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:30 am

AA's JFK-BNA operation still need to rely on a good bit of O&D to work. As AA is building up other hubs and cutting down on JFK, a lot of these E40 routes are getting reduced. And with BA moving in, the entire regional concourse is getting removed. It's not so different from JFK-RDU which they have also consistently cut back as they are facing more B6 A320 now. The difference is that RDU has been cut back from 5x to 2x on most days as competition intensified whereas BNA has not seen A320 competition yet.

Jshank83

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Went thru the MAX changes for April.

Took off 59 flights a week or 6.7% of the original. 822 flight a week down from 881.

southwest1675

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:23 pm

I personally think BNA-JFK on AA should do fine. Still loyal AA fliers out of Nashville, and it just gives folks in BNA another option for international connections. JFK suits my personal needs better than LGA. I’d still fly AA on the route if I had to. For us airline employees, non reving out of BNA is getting more difficult as the years go on. We truly are a booming market. So I’m all for keeping as many flights as possible haha.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:38 am

Jshank83 wrote:

Took off 59 flights a week or 6.7% of the original. 822 flight a week down from 881.

*Sigh*

Will the MAX ever get fixed? This is hurting WN’s growth too much.

dafunk10

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:24 am

I’m a little late on 2020 guesses, but here’s my thoughts on what I think is to come out of DL in 2020:

1- CDG direct flight announced in the fall for spring 2021 launch
2- A220 service launches at least once per day to MSP, DTW, BOS, and LGA
3- In advance of Amazon opening their Nashville office, a second SEA direct flight is added, with one of the SEA-BNA legs being a red eye (the fares have been low, but these flights are always full when I’ve taken them)
4- BNA is included in the 2nd wave of DL’s MIA route expansion to support their LATAM purchase with twice daily service
5- AUS direct flight announced

Lots of 2020 announcements for 2021 service I think

southwest1675

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:21 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

*Sigh*

Will the MAX ever get fixed? This is hurting WN’s growth too much.

If it’s not in the air by the end of the year...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

atrude777

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:58 pm

BNA received a new airline today-Cape Air!

OWB Airport started up Cape Air service to BNA on the Cessna 402 Aircraft.

https://www.owensborotimes.com/news/202 ... announced/

"Round-trip flights will begin today between Nashville and the Owensboro-Daviess County Regional Airport via a partnership with Cape Air/Nantucket Airlines.

The flights to and from Nashville International Airport will start at $29 each way. Two flights per day are scheduled each way, with each flight lasting approximately 54 minutes.

From Monday to Saturday, flights will depart Owensboro at 7:35 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. They will depart Nashville at 8:54 a.m. and 6:19 p.m.

Sunday’s schedule has flights leaving Owensboro at 9 a.m. and 5:19 p.m. and leaving Nashville at 10:49 a.m. and 7:08 p.m."

MWA-BNA will begin January 29th next week also on Cape Air!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

GSOflyerDL

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:44 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
bnabnabna wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Allegiant will be adding BZN, FAR, GFK, FSD, GSO, ORF, TUL, FNT, and PIT from BNA....

How many of these are new destinations for BNA?

With the exception of GSO and FNT, these are new destinations for BNA. Including the AA hub tenure.

When did BNA ever have service to GSO? Continental hub days?
DL Diamond Medallion 360

southwest1675

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:02 pm

GSOflyerDL wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
bnabnabna wrote:

How many of these are new destinations for BNA?

With the exception of GSO and FNT, these are new destinations for BNA. Including the AA hub tenure.

When did BNA ever have service to GSO? Continental hub days?

American in the early 90s.

http://www.departedflights.com/AABNAhub.html
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

capt505

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Random thought, but I think dark-horse additions for BNA would be HNL and ANC within 5-7 years.

jplatts

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:44 pm

capt505 wrote:
Random thought, but I think dark-horse additions for BNA would be HNL and ANC within 5-7 years.

I do not see WN adding nonstop service to HNL from BNA anytime soon with HNL being 4,350 mi from BNA and with WN's 737's not having the range needed for BNA-HNL nonstop service.

BNA-HNL would likely require widebody aircraft, and DL or HA adding BNA-HNL nonstop service might be a possibility if there is enough demand for BNA-HNL nonstop service.

While BNA-ANC is within the range of some narrowbody planes such as the 757, 737 MAX, or A320neo, BNA-ANC is longer than any domestic nonstop routes currently operated on a 737-700 or 737-800 by AA, DL, UA, WN, AS, or SY.

AA, UA, and AS all operate 737-800's on the ANC-ORD nonstop route, but ORD is 357 miles closer to ANC than BNA is.

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 am

capt505 wrote:

ANC? No. there are plenty of bigger markets that don’t even have it.

HNL? Maybe, but not at least 5 years. It would require a widebody, and BNA can’t do widebodies well right now. When A is reconstructed though, it will have two Group V gates that will be capable of handling 787/777/A330/A350 aircraft.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos