AVLAirlineFreq

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:07 am

southwest1675 wrote:
GSOflyerDL wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

With the exception of GSO and FNT, these are new destinations for BNA. Including the AA hub tenure.

When did BNA ever have service to GSO? Continental hub days?

American in the early 90s.

http://www.departedflights.com/AABNAhub.html

Continental Express also flew BNA-GSO in the CALite days.

southwest1675

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 am

capt505 wrote:
Random thought, but I think dark-horse additions for BNA would be HNL and ANC within 5-7 years.

Doug said BNA was eyeing Hawaii eventually.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Interesting tidbit from the BNA Vision meeting minutes in December. This was after the open house meeting.

It appears a satellite concourse of some sort is still on the table. How exactly it is going to work is confusing though, as is for what purpose will it serve.

So many unknowns for BNA Vision 2.0

https://www.flynashville.com/about/Documents/Board%20Docs/2019/Committee/Minutes/BNA%20Vision%2012-11-19.pdf

southwest1675

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:33 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Interesting tidbit from the BNA Vision meeting minutes in December. This was after the open house meeting.

It appears a satellite concourse of some sort is still on the table. How exactly it is going to work is confusing though, as is for what purpose will it serve.

So many unknowns for BNA Vision 2.0

https://www.flynashville.com/about/Documents/Board%20Docs/2019/Committee/Minutes/BNA%20Vision%2012-11-19.pdf

A lot of it will come down to the needs of the airlines.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

hsvflyer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
GSOflyerDL wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

With the exception of GSO and FNT, these are new destinations for BNA. Including the AA hub tenure.

Saw this post regarding BNA to GSO, and went back into my old flight logs, and back in November 1980, I flew on a Piedmont 727-100 from BNA to GSO (and then connected in GSO to a Piedmont 737-200 to BOS

southwest1675

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:08 am

hsvflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
GSOflyerDL wrote:

Saw this post regarding BNA to GSO, and went back into my old flight logs, and back in November 1980, I flew on a Piedmont 727-100 from BNA to GSO (and then connected in GSO to a Piedmont 737-200 to BOS

BNA had some interesting hops back in the day. BNA-MKC with a Southern DC-9 was one of them.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 am

hsvflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
GSOflyerDL wrote:

Wow! This post really takes me back. Loved Piedmont Airlines. Back in the mid 80s they had the longest flight out of BNA to DEN (Stapleton). Always had to make sure the fuel truck was topped off for that one because it was always took around 5000 gallons. This was the old terminal before there was a virtual endless supply of fuel coming out of the ground from a hydrant system and they used a 727. I still have an empty can of Piedmont Punch among my Airline memorabilia. Thanks for the Memories.

southwest1675

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:02 am

InopGauge wrote:
hsvflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Wow! This post really takes me back. Loved Piedmont Airlines. Back in the mid 80s they had the longest flight out of BNA to DEN (Stapleton). Always had to make sure the fuel truck was topped off for that one because it was always took around 5000 gallons. This was the old terminal before there was a virtual endless supply of fuel coming out of the ground from a hydrant system and they used a 727. I still have an empty can of Piedmont Punch among my Airline memorabilia. Thanks for the Memories.

What was it like working at BNA during the hub days? I was living in Detroit at the time, but visited BNA often until I moved to Franklin in 2000. Many of the AA flights I took between DTW-BNA always had GM executives visiting the Spring Hill plant. I just remember C Concourse being 727 and MD-80 galore. I did see the 757 at C23 at one point.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

gsoflyer

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:51 pm

GSOflyerDL wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
bnabnabna wrote:

How many of these are new destinations for BNA?

American flew Eagle to BNA in the early to mid 90s, CO Lite flew mid to late 90s.

jplatts

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:14 pm

While BOS is still served nonstop from BNA on DL, B6, and WN, the lack of BNA-PVD nonstop service is a huge hole as the PDEW was 109 passengers/day in Q3 2019.

WN re-adding BNA-PVD nonstop service is a possibility since
(a) there is enough O&D traffic between BNA and PVD to support nonstop service to PVD on WN, even with WN serving BOS nonstop from BNA,
(b) WN would have some connecting traffic in addition to O&D on BNA-PVD nonstop flights if WN re-adds BNA-PVD nonstop service,
(c) PVD is far enough from BOS to support WN nonstop service to both BOS and PVD from BNA with PVD being located 60 miles south of BOS,
(d) WN would probably be able to easily fill BNA-PVD nonstop flights if WN re-adds BNA-PVD nonstop service, and
(e) WN still has daily nonstop service to both PVD and BOS from BWI and MDW.

InopGauge

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:
hsvflyer wrote:

What was it like working at BNA during the hub days? I was living in Detroit at the time, but visited BNA often until I moved to Franklin in 2000. Many of the AA flights I took between DTW-BNA always had GM executives visiting the Spring Hill plant. I just remember C Concourse being 727 and MD-80 galore. I did see the 757 at C23 at one point.

You are correct in that the C Concourse was nothing but MD80s and 727s. There was a Pan Am 727 or 737 that would depart from C4 around 9 a.m. and come in sometime around 9 or 10 as an RON. but other than that American had all of the C Concourse. There was a 757 that departed from somewhere around C10 going to SJU and the 767 that went to LGW that would come into the IAB at the end of the A concourse and then either be towed over or taxi over to C11 or C12 for departure. The departure to SJU was interesting because it was the first time I ever heard boarding announcements announced in English and Spanish at Nashville. I was used to that from spending a lot of time at FLL in MIA when I was younger, but it was new for Nashville and now days Nashville is so much more of an international City.

When the American Airlines Banks were coming through Nashville it was very busy, but when they were between Banks it was kind of dead. I think it's a lot cooler now because things are kind of spread out and it's just kind of constantly busy. I can remember departures lined up for 20R that extended from the end of that Runway and up taxiways T1 and T2 and then around the turn and across the connector between B and C. The company I worked for for was working flights for TWA, United and some other airlines and at the time it seemed like American would put their flights first because they were in control of the ramp control tower. There would be times that our flights would land and it would be 20 minutes before they got to the gate because of the American departures backed up. I'll be honest, TWA Pilots were awesome and even though we would try to get them out there to beat the American rush, they were content to just take their time and happy to tell us dirty jokes over the headsets while we were waiting for pushback clearance. Looking back, this could have been been some of the demise of TWA.

The airport employee shuttle was a mess back in those days. Sometimes you would have to wait for the second or third shuttle before you could even get on. A lot of times it would be standing room only and we would be standing on the stairs to that bus with them trying to close the door with people pressing against it. It was a real PITA.

The American Eagle ramps were a real cluster! Of course they had all of the space off of the end of the D Concourse that is being built now but they also took gates at the end of the B Concourse and the current remote area / Penalty Box was built with them in mind. They would shuttle people from the end of the B Concourse out to the remote area. American Eagle was mainly flying Merlin Metro liners, jet streams and some ATRs. Very dangerous ramp when you have a lot of turboprop propellers spinning around. I would say they probably had just as many, if not more flights than American Mainline did.

The one thing that I missed the most after the demise of the AA hub was the employee cafeteria. Not sure if anybody has ever been to a Speedline cafeteria in ATL but it was similar to that. Chicken sandwich with cheese and fries what's the number one item on the menu and for breakfast the sausage gravy and biscuits were top-notch. Sure, we got discounts at the restaurants in the terminal but there weren't as many choices to choose from as there are now. You can only eat hot dogs and nachos for so long. LOL.

I've got a lot of interesting stories from my time at the airport back then if anyone is interested. Any thing from people getting killed on the ramp to just interesting things that I got to experience. Back then we're used to refer to the ramp as a wonderful outdoor Arena of fun.

southwest1675

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:24 pm

InopGauge wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

You are correct in that the C Concourse was nothing but MD80s and 727s. There was a Pan Am 727 or 737 that would depart from C4 around 9 a.m. and come in sometime around 9 or 10 as an RON. but other than that American had all of the C Concourse. There was a 757 that departed from somewhere around C10 going to SJU and the 767 that went to LGW that would come into the IAB at the end of the A concourse and then either be towed over or taxi over to C11 or C12 for departure. The departure to SJU was interesting because it was the first time I ever heard boarding announcements announced in English and Spanish at Nashville. I was used to that from spending a lot of time at FLL in MIA when I was younger, but it was new for Nashville and now days Nashville is so much more of an international City.

When the American Airlines Banks were coming through Nashville it was very busy, but when they were between Banks it was kind of dead. I think it's a lot cooler now because things are kind of spread out and it's just kind of constantly busy. I can remember departures lined up for 20R that extended from the end of that Runway and up taxiways T1 and T2 and then around the turn and across the connector between B and C. The company I worked for for was working flights for TWA, United and some other airlines and at the time it seemed like American would put their flights first because they were in control of the ramp control tower. There would be times that our flights would land and it would be 20 minutes before they got to the gate because of the American departures backed up. I'll be honest, TWA Pilots were awesome and even though we would try to get them out there to beat the American rush, they were content to just take their time and happy to tell us dirty jokes over the headsets while we were waiting for pushback clearance. Looking back, this could have been been some of the demise of TWA.

The airport employee shuttle was a mess back in those days. Sometimes you would have to wait for the second or third shuttle before you could even get on. A lot of times it would be standing room only and we would be standing on the stairs to that bus with them trying to close the door with people pressing against it. It was a real PITA.

The American Eagle ramps were a real cluster! Of course they had all of the space off of the end of the D Concourse that is being built now but they also took gates at the end of the B Concourse and the current remote area / Penalty Box was built with them in mind. They would shuttle people from the end of the B Concourse out to the remote area. American Eagle was mainly flying Merlin Metro liners, jet streams and some ATRs. Very dangerous ramp when you have a lot of turboprop propellers spinning around. I would say they probably had just as many, if not more flights than American Mainline did.

The one thing that I missed the most after the demise of the AA hub was the employee cafeteria. Not sure if anybody has ever been to a Speedline cafeteria in ATL but it was similar to that. Chicken sandwich with cheese and fries what's the number one item on the menu and for breakfast the sausage gravy and biscuits were top-notch. Sure, we got discounts at the restaurants in the terminal but there weren't as many choices to choose from as there are now. You can only eat hot dogs and nachos for so long. LOL.

I've got a lot of interesting stories from my time at the airport back then if anyone is interested. Any thing from people getting killed on the ramp to just interesting things that I got to experience. Back then we're used to refer to the ramp as a wonderful outdoor Arena of fun.

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been working at BNA for a few years now and the employee bus still stinks haha. Where was the employee cafeteria? I’m quite familiar with the airport downstairs. Particularly the C concourse.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:24 pm

InopGauge wrote:

What about the Fokker 100? There were a lot of those in Nashville, too.

There was also, briefly around 1988-90, an AA DC-10 that flew one DFW-BNA flight.

southwest1675

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:35 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

There was also, briefly around 1988-90, an AA DC-10 that flew one DFW-BNA flight.

Here’s the DC-10 at C11 in 88 https://www.instagram.com/p/BfNFQ3lhYPk ... 82afbwu8u4

AA MD80 at C9
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByqLGNThh_u ... zar68s42h1
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:02 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

Look at all those Metros in the background!

TYSflyer

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:21 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

Here’s the DC-10 at C11 in 88 https://www.instagram.com/p/BfNFQ3lhYPk ... 82afbwu8u4

AA MD80 at C9

Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing! Even though BNA’s current passenger numbers have far exceeded their hub days, I love the nostalgia of the AA hub. Having connecting options like TYS-BNA-TCL was very unique.

BNAMealer

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:28 pm

I will note it’s interesting how BNA has recently been getting back some of the smaller market service they had during the AA hub days, such as SJU, PIA, MSN, etc.

One of the biggest questions I have is what if AA had kept the hub. Not really sure why it was pulled in the first place with MEM being able to support a NW hub.

southwest1675

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

AA MD80 at C9

Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing! Even though BNA’s current passenger numbers have far exceeded their hub days, I love the nostalgia of the AA hub. Having connecting options like TYS-BNA-TCL was very unique.

I totally agree. BNA is better than ever. The place is surely booming. There are multiple times during the day where you can barely move around the concourses. It’s shoulder to shoulder during peak times. The summer time is even crazier.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

southwest1675

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:39 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
BNAMealer wrote:
I will note it’s interesting how BNA has recently been getting back some of the smaller market service they had during the AA hub days, such as SJU, PIA, MSN, etc.

One of the biggest questions I have is what if AA had kept the hub. Not really sure why it was pulled in the first place with MEM being able to support a NW hub.

I’ve noticed the same as well. The hub was Bob Crandall’s idea. It was to compete with DL in ATL, Piedmont/US in CLT, and funnel some DFW and ORD traffic on AA. If you took the airline climate back then, and put the hub in today’s Nashville, it would be pretty successful. The hub failed due to a lack of local passengers. Nashville just isn’t what it is now back then. It was basically country music and Opryland in those days. Still attracted tourists, but nothing like today. The early 90s recession played a role as well. I don’t think the hub would have survived 9/11 and mergers. This will stir the pot, but I think BNA could have been a better hub than CLT. That’s just my opinion and 10 years of working in the industry speaking though. It would be interesting to see Concourse C filled with AA Airbuses and 737s. Concourse D filled with 145s and CRJs haha. I’ve been looking to find the article, but Crandall said an interview around 06, that he said pulling the BNA hub was one of the worst things they did. They didn’t let things mature, and had too much, too soon. Once AA scaled back by 96, WN had great interest in turning BNA what BWI is today. Baltimore was performing well, and had abundance of real estate since the Piedmont/US hub was gone. WN wanted more gates, but AA wasn’t willing to work with them. The MNAA was known to be incompetent in those days as well. One final thought is this. It was a good thing that AA de-hubbed when they did. If not, BNA would probably be in the same position of CVG, CLE, and even PIT. Took 20 years, but the airport is better than ever.

Also, it appears this Instagram page has a lot of BNA throwbacks. I scrolled through and found a lot of AA hub stuff. Here’s another 80 at C21. https://www.instagram.com/p/BKzBKCyjAI2 ... ynj44wnn1h
Last edited by southwest1675 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Cubsrule

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:50 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I’ve noticed the same as well. The hub was Bob Crandall’s idea. It was to compete with DL in ATL, Piedmont/US in CLT, and funnel some DFW and ORD traffic on AA. If you took the airline climate back then, and put the hub in today’s Nashville, it would be pretty successful. The hub failed due to a lack of local passengers. Nashville just isn’t what it is now back then. It was basically country music and Opryland in those days. Still attracted tourists, but nothing like today. The early 90s recession played a role as well. I don’t think the hub would have survived 9/11 and mergers. This will stir the pot, but I think BNA could have been a better hub than CLT. That’s just my opinion and 10 years of working in the industry speaking though. It would be interesting to see Concourse C filled with AA Airbuses and 737s. Concourse D filled with 145s and CRJs haha. I’ve been looking to find the article, but Crandall said an interview around 06, that he said pulling the BNA hub was one of the worst things they did. They didn’t let things mature, and had too much, too soon. Once AA scaled back by 96, WN had great interest in turning BNA what BWI is today. Baltimore was performing well, and had abundance of real estate since the Piedmont/US hub was gone. WN wanted more gates, but AA wasn’t willing to work with them. The MNAA was known to be incompetent in those days as well.

Fundamentally, the hub failed because happened to belong to a carrier who needed the aircraft to bulk up MIA, which was and still is a much better hub site than BNA. Had AA not been involved with the purchase of Latin American assets in the early 90s (or had the hubbing carrier been PI/US or CO), there’s a good chance we might have a hub today.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

TheZ

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Also, it appears this Instagram page has a lot of BNA throwbacks. I scrolled through and found a lot of AA hub stuff. Here’s another 80 at C21. https://www.instagram.com/p/BKzBKCyjAI2 ... ynj44wnn1h

There's some great photos on that account, thanks for sharing those! The aviation landscape sure has changed in the past 25 years.
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

dafunk10

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I’ve noticed the same as well. The hub was Bob Crandall’s idea. It was to compete with DL in ATL, Piedmont/US in CLT, and funnel some DFW and ORD traffic on AA. If you took the airline climate back then, and put the hub in today’s Nashville, it would be pretty successful. The hub failed due to a lack of local passengers. Nashville just isn’t what it is now back then. It was basically country music and Opryland in those days. Still attracted tourists, but nothing like today. The early 90s recession played a role as well. I don’t think the hub would have survived 9/11 and mergers. This will stir the pot, but I think BNA could have been a better hub than CLT. That’s just my opinion and 10 years of working in the industry speaking though. It would be interesting to see Concourse C filled with AA Airbuses and 737s. Concourse D filled with 145s and CRJs haha. I’ve been looking to find the article, but Crandall said an interview around 06, that he said pulling the BNA hub was one of the worst things they did. They didn’t let things mature, and had too much, too soon. Once AA scaled back by 96, WN had great interest in turning BNA what BWI is today. Baltimore was performing well, and had abundance of real estate since the Piedmont/US hub was gone. WN wanted more gates, but AA wasn’t willing to work with them. The MNAA was known to be incompetent in those days as well.

Fundamentally, the hub failed because happened to belong to a carrier who needed the aircraft to bulk up MIA, which was and still is a much better hub site than BNA. Had AA not been involved with the purchase of Latin American assets in the early 90s (or had the hubbing carrier been PI/US or CO), there’s a good chance we might have a hub today.

I would say that and AA’s hub attempt at RDU didnt help either. Although as another poster said above, the hub wouldn’t have made it past 9/11 and the airport would like like CVG/PIT does now had it gone on. The city and airport are better for the way things turned out.

BNAMealer

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:39 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
BNAMealer wrote:

I’ve noticed the same as well. The hub was Bob Crandall’s idea. It was to compete with DL in ATL, Piedmont/US in CLT, and funnel some DFW and ORD traffic on AA. If you took the airline climate back then, and put the hub in today’s Nashville, it would be pretty successful. The hub failed due to a lack of local passengers. Nashville just isn’t what it is now back then. It was basically country music and Opryland in those days. Still attracted tourists, but nothing like today. The early 90s recession played a role as well. I don’t think the hub would have survived 9/11 and mergers. This will stir the pot, but I think BNA could have been a better hub than CLT. That’s just my opinion and 10 years of working in the industry speaking though. It would be interesting to see Concourse C filled with AA Airbuses and 737s. Concourse D filled with 145s and CRJs haha. I’ve been looking to find the article, but Crandall said an interview around 06, that he said pulling the BNA hub was one of the worst things they did. They didn’t let things mature, and had too much, too soon. Once AA scaled back by 96, WN had great interest in turning BNA what BWI is today. Baltimore was performing well, and had abundance of real estate since the Piedmont/US hub was gone. WN wanted more gates, but AA wasn’t willing to work with them. The MNAA was known to be incompetent in those days as well. One final thought is this. It was a good thing that AA de-hubbed when they did. If not, BNA would probably be in the same position of CVG, CLE, and even PIT. Took 20 years, but the airport is better than ever.

The layout of the airport would likely be much different had the hub stayed. All the concourses would both likely be longer and we’d probably have somewhere between 80-100 gates.

It’s too bad MNAA couldn’t get their act together back in the day to let WN make BNA like BWI, but at least it appears now things are heading in the direction of a megastation. I continue to believe and will always maintain BNA should be a top 5 WN station at some point, right behind DEN, BWI, HOU, etc.

Cubsrule

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:26 pm

dafunk10 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I would say that and AA’s hub attempt at RDU didnt help either. Although as another poster said above, the hub wouldn’t have made it past 9/11 and the airport would like like CVG/PIT does now had it gone on. The city and airport are better for the way things turned out.

If the hub carrier had needed the hub for geographic reasons, the hub would have survived 9/11 just like MEM did.

BNAMealer

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:50 am

Does anyone here know when the Sky Club expansion will be formally announced?

dafunk10

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:10 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Does anyone here know when the Sky Club expansion will be formally announced?

DL has been hosting medallion ‘thank you’ events at SC’s in their hubs and focus cities the last week or two....BNA’s event is on the 27th....seems like a good bet

southwest1675

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:49 pm

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/ ... 589033002/ 16 million visitors to Nashville in 2019.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Bluegrass60

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:44 pm

2019 CSA Population est 2,093,000 vs 2018 CSA population 2,057,416 (+36,500)
2019 Nashville Tourists 16M vs 2018 Tourists 15M (+1M)
2019 BNA Pax 18.2M vs 2018 15.9M (+2.2M)

InopGauge

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:50 am

southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been working at BNA for a few years now and the employee bus still stinks haha. Where was the employee cafeteria? I’m quite familiar with the airport downstairs. Particularly the C concourse.

The employee cafeteria was basically underneath the bag rooms and bag belt drop off area. You would walk through a turnstile and down some stairs in front of the bag rooms, where I'm assuming the employee shuttle bus stop still is under the tunnel. When you get to the bottom of the stairs instead of staying straight and veering left to catch the shuttle you would take a right and go down that Hall and it was on the left. Recently had a friend of mine who worked at the airport with me back in the day that just went back to the airport and got on with Southwest Airlines. He said his interview was in the old employee cafeteria but that the room was a lot smaller so they must have walled it off to make several meeting rooms or offices. Also you would be able to play a couple of video games and pinball in the employee cafeteria. A lot of AA crew members and employees would go down there and it could get very busy at times.

To some of the other posters, it was really cool to see those pictures of the Metro liners and the DC-10. I had completely forgot that DC-10 to DFW until I saw that picture. Also kind of forgot about the Fokker aircraft. AA ran those F-100s for a while as did US Air. Those aircraft came into service and a few years later it seems like they were gone. probably because I believe Fokker went out of business. Also reminds me of an another aircraft you never see anymore with the BAC 111s that Florida Express used to run through Nashville until the mid to late 80s

antoniemey

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:38 am

InopGauge wrote:

The employee cafeteria was basically underneath the bag rooms and bag belt drop off area. You would walk through a turnstile and down some stairs in front of the bag rooms, where I'm assuming the employee shuttle bus stop still is under the tunnel. When you get to the bottom of the stairs instead of staying straight and veering left to catch the shuttle you would take a right and go down that Hall and it was on the left. Recently had a friend of mine who worked at the airport with me back in the day that just went back to the airport and got on with Southwest Airlines. He said his interview was in the old employee cafeteria but that the room was a lot smaller so they must have walled it off to make several meeting rooms or offices. Also you would be able to play a couple of video games and pinball in the employee cafeteria. A lot of AA crew members and employees would go down there and it could get very busy at times.

Employee bus drop off and pickup got moved up the the outer lanes of the Departure level after 9/11. And you could also get down to the cafeteria from an elevator behind DL's counter when I first worked at BNA in 2000. They only had vending machines by that point, but it was a lot cheaper than getting food from any of the options in the terminal at that point. Side note, the Employee shuttle was still a mess as of the last time I rode it, but not because of number of passengers... it's just that they can't seem to keep them from all bunching up at one end or the other, so you either got 3 buses within 4 minutes or had to wait half an hour.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

southwest1675

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:11 am

antoniemey wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

Employee bus drop off and pickup got moved up the the outer lanes of the Departure level after 9/11. And you could also get down to the cafeteria from an elevator behind DL's counter when I first worked at BNA in 2000. They only had vending machines by that point, but it was a lot cheaper than getting food from any of the options in the terminal at that point. Side note, the Employee shuttle was still a mess as of the last time I rode it, but not because of number of passengers... it's just that they can't seem to keep them from all bunching up at one end or the other, so you either got 3 buses within 4 minutes or had to wait half an hour.

Employee bus got moved to the lower level of the new parking garage. The technical transportation level. Same place where you pick up taxis and Ubers. Quite the walk from there to the time clock. The employee lot was also expanded. Currently have 6 stops instead of 4. The busses are somewhat more spread apart now.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:30 am

antoniemey wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

Interesting! I worked at BNA for at least a year after 9/11 and almost 17 years total with one year of being at the old terminal. The last few years I was there I was parking at The Freight House and then jumping in a truck to get down to the ramp or parking in the R-1 parking lot underneath the A concourse so I had no idea they had moved it.

I do know that the employee parking lot has moved at least three times since the new terminal opened. I remember when it first opened and it was where is the airport ID and Fire & Rescue station is now.

Do all employees have to come through the TSA checkpoint when they get to work now?

southwest1675

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:48 am

InopGauge wrote:
antoniemey wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

Interesting! I worked at BNA for at least a year after 9/11 and almost 17 years total with one year of being at the old terminal. The last few years I was there I was parking at The Freight House and then jumping in a truck to get down to the ramp or parking in the R-1 parking lot underneath the A concourse so I had no idea they had moved it.

I do know that the employee parking lot has moved at least three times since the new terminal opened. I remember when it first opened and it was where is the airport ID and Fire & Rescue station is now.

Do all employees have to come through the TSA checkpoint when they get to work now?

I do recall some employees who worked during the hub days telling me the old lot was at the fire station. I also heard it was where BNA Express Park is currently located. Most employees walk through a turnstile by baggage claims 2 and 5. You can also take an elevator down to ramp via elevator right next to the WN counter. There’s also a door by the greeter area on the C concourse. Another door by the DL counter across from tootsies at the B greeter area. Sometimes TSA agents will be on the other side of the doors checking SIDA badges, but it’s not really an all the time thing.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:00 am

That employee bus walk is a killer. Commute times are up. Clock ins are late. Bad times are being had.

southwest1675

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 am

skitchie wrote:
That employee bus walk is a killer. Commute times are up. Clock ins are late. Bad times are being had.

You’ll see quite a few people bolt off the bus making a run for their time clocks. The WN folks are the ones most concerned. Their attendance policy is no joke. Especially for the new hires.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:06 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

You’ll see quite a few people bolt off the bus making a run for their time clocks. The WN folks are the ones most concerned. Their attendance policy is no joke. Especially for the new hires.
You're not kidding. A guy at my company got the boot from WN cause he was late one too many times. Poor guy joined right when they moved the bus stops. He told me it was common practice for WN folks to aim to be off the bus and in the terminal 30 minutes before their shift. They don't joke around with that stuff I guess!

southwest1675

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 am

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

You're not kidding. A guy at my company got the boot from WN cause he was late one too many times. Poor guy joined right when they moved the bus stops. He told me it was common practice for WN folks to aim to be off the bus and in the terminal 30 minutes before their shift. They don't joke around with that stuff I guess!

I’m one of those people who get to the bus stop 45 minutes to an hour before my shift starts.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:16 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I’m one of those people who get to the bus stop 45 minutes to an hour before my shift starts.
Good on ya man, I'm jealous of y'all for a whole lot of things but that's not one of them, haha

southwest1675

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:23 am

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

Good on ya man, I'm jealous of y'all for a whole lot of things but that's not one of them, haha

At the end of the day, all airlines have their pros and cons. It used to be more fun. That’s all I’m gonna say.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:24 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

At the end of the day, all airlines have their pros and cons. It used to be more fun. That’s all I’m gonna say.
Haha I'm sure it was. They took away our grill the other day, corporate bastards

southwest1675

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:41 am

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

Haha I'm sure it was. They took away our grill the other day, corporate bastards

Not as bad as people complaining we don’t get enough food when the company provides a buffet...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:12 am

Wow! The employee shuttle sounds like more of a PITA then it was back in my day. I'm guessing they don't allow you to clock in at the ticket counter and then proceeded to your workstation and you instead have to get to a certain break room underneath the C Concourse to clock in if you work for WN.

AA was first airline that I remember having time clocks that you clocked in electronically with an employee ID.

I can remember the times when I would get off work at 3 a.m. and the shuttle bus was supposed to run every 20 minutes but sometimes it would be more like every 40 min. When the employee lot was still where fire and rescue is now, sometimes it was quicker just to start walking. Sometimes the shuttle bus driver would stop and pick me somewhere around The Freight House and take me to the next few hundred yards but I could never count on that.

Funny story... Back in the day we used something called the time card trick to clock in (not that I ever did it) but these were the days when we still had a paper time card and the time clock would punch printed numbers onto the card. I remember employees arriving to work 30 minutes late and if they were supposed to clock in at 6 p.m. they would put a piece of tape over the area where the last 2 digits of the time would have printed so those numbers never showed up, and then come back 30 minutes later and put the piece of tape over the 6 to get the double zeros at the end. A lot easier to get away with if you worked the night shift and there was always a piece of tape somewhere close to the time clock. LOL.

Too bad the shuttle bus can't drop you off at The Freight House and you just walk across the ramp to the Concourse.

southwest1675

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 am

InopGauge wrote:
Wow! The employee shuttle sounds like more of a PITA then it was back in my day. I'm guessing they don't allow you to clock in at the ticket counter and then proceeded to your workstation and you instead have to get to a certain break room underneath the C Concourse to clock in if you work for WN.

AA was first airline that I remember having time clocks that you clocked in electronically with an employee ID.

I can remember the times when I would get off work at 3 a.m. and the shuttle bus was supposed to run every 20 minutes but sometimes it would be more like every 40 min. When the employee lot was still where fire and rescue is now, sometimes it was quicker just to start walking. Sometimes the shuttle bus driver would stop and pick me somewhere around The Freight House and take me to the next few hundred yards but I could never count on that.

Funny story... Back in the day we used something called the time card trick to clock in (not that I ever did it) but these were the days when we still had a paper time card and the time clock would punch printed numbers onto the card. I remember employees arriving to work 30 minutes late and if they were supposed to clock in at 6 p.m. they would put a piece of tape over the area where the last 2 digits of the time would have printed so those numbers never showed up, and then come back 30 minutes later and put the piece of tape over the 6 to get the double zeros at the end. A lot easier to get away with if you worked the night shift and there was always a piece of tape somewhere close to the time clock. LOL.

Too bad the shuttle bus can't drop you off at The Freight House and you just walk across the ramp to the Concourse.

Yep, the airlines want us to clock in at our work stations. Also, a few people at my company were fired for parking at the freight house. They’d either just walk across the ramp to where gate 22 is, or have a coworker pick them up in a tug.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

antoniemey

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 am

Best year of my career at BNA was when I was working the PM shift in BSO and the manager gave me the extra parking spot we had in the R1 lot. Probably saved me from a lot of write ups.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

southwest1675

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:24 am

WN employees used to be able to park on the Concourse D lot for awhile too.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

tnair1974

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 am

southwest1675 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

Nice pic :cloudnine:

During this time, my family and I knew a Middle Tennessee State University student that was from Los Angeles. He often took the AA DC-10 flight BNA-DFW then connected DFW-LAX (often another DC-10). He said that in his experience the DC-10 at BNA generally had good loads, even outside of summer/holiday periods. He also said he would have preferred AA's BNA-LAX nonstop but that tended to be more expensive. So perhaps AA sent a lot of the lower yielding traffic on that AA DC-10 out of BNA.

IIRC, the DC-10 BNA-DFW was switched to a 762 just before the first Gulf War. Anyway, I as a teenager got to see the AA DC-10 depart BNA (from the ground wishing I was on it). I had to wait several more years before flying on NW DC-10s out of DTW/MSP.

southwest1675

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:30 am

tnair1974 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

Nice pic :cloudnine:

During this time, my family and I knew a Middle Tennessee State University student that was from Los Angeles. He often took the AA DC-10 flight BNA-DFW then connected DFW-LAX (often another DC-10). He said that in his experience the DC-10 at BNA generally had good loads, even outside of summer/holiday periods. He also said he would have preferred AA's BNA-LAX nonstop but that tended to be more expensive. So perhaps AA sent a lot of the lower yielding traffic on that AA DC-10 out of BNA.

IIRC, the DC-10 BNA-DFW was switched to a 762 just before the first Gulf War. Anyway, I as a teenager got to see the AA DC-10 depart BNA (from the ground wishing I was on it). I had to wait several more years before flying on NW DC-10s out of DTW/MSP.

Interesting. AA also flew a 752 that was routed from LGA-BNA-LAX. My sister took it if I remember.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:37 pm

In addition to AA ground handling Pam Am flights out of C4 at the current terminal and at the South Concourse of the old terminal, I thought of 2 other Airlines that AA ground handled back in the hub days.

One was a short-lived Airline called JetTrain that had a small Hub in PIT and the other was Western Pacific Airlines. Both of these Airlines operated somewhere around gate(s) C-15, 17 or 19.

JetTrain used DC9's to PIT and Western Pacific used 737-300's to their Hub in COS. While AA handled the ticket counters, gate area and ground handling for these flights, the company I worked for fueled all of them and I remember being really excited to get to fuel The Simpsons plane from Western Pacific. Lol.

Fuel must have been really cheap at BNA because I can remember JetTrain telling us to stay hooked up until they got their final numbers because they wanted to depart with as much fuel as they could carry. That reminds me of another airline AA ground handled that was a charter called Panagra that would take people from BNA to FLL to catch cruises. It was a 727 and they would literally ask people how much they weighed as they were boarding the plane so they can also take on as much fuel as they could out of BNA.

southwest1675

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:30 pm

InopGauge wrote:
In addition to AA ground handling Pam Am flights out of C4 at the current terminal and at the South Concourse of the old terminal, I thought of 2 other Airlines that AA ground handled back in the hub days.

One was a short-lived Airline called JetTrain that had a small Hub in PIT and the other was Western Pacific Airlines. Both of these Airlines operated somewhere around gate(s) C-15, 17 or 19.

JetTrain used DC9's to PIT and Western Pacific used 737-300's to their Hub in COS. While AA handled the ticket counters, gate area and ground handling for these flights, the company I worked for fueled all of them and I remember being really excited to get to fuel The Simpsons plane from Western Pacific. Lol.

Fuel must have been really cheap at BNA because I can remember JetTrain telling us to stay hooked up until they got their final numbers because they wanted to depart with as much fuel as they could carry. That reminds me of another airline AA ground handled that was a charter called Panagra that would take people from BNA to FLL to catch cruises. It was a 727 and they would literally ask people how much they weighed as they were boarding the plane so they can also take on as much fuel as they could out of BNA.

Do you remember when WN moved to the C Concourse.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:35 pm

InopGauge wrote:

In more recent memory, MQ also handled AC (typically out of C13/14) and YX/AL (I think out of C12; it was one of the gates in the corner and was striped so that the FRJs could taxi out).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos