southwest1675

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm

InopGauge wrote:
I remember when WN moved to the C Concourse but I'm not sure exactly what year that was. I remember them previously having 2 or 3 gates at the end of the A Concourse because when the new terminal first opened, my company had a large break room and offices underneath the end of the A concourse. Shortly after that we lost ground handling contracts because US Air bought Piedmont and their employees started working US Air flights and United started working their own. Shortly after that, Southwest took over all of that big office at the end of A and we were left with nothing more than our old secretaries office with just a couch, a table and a microwave and TV. Our station manager's office was upstairs on the B Concourse. Eventually we got the TWA ground handling contract back and started using the break room under A-1 and A-2.

Not sure if I ever knew that Envoy was handling AC. flights. When I left in late 2002, United was working AC flights off of A3 and occasionally a Mainline AC flight off of A4. The only time we would see a Mainline AC flight was if it was a charter for a Canadian NHL team or sometimes during the country music Fan Fair.

Here's a link to some pictures that I took between 2000 and 2002. The very last pictures in this list are mostly from the day of 9/11. They are the ones where you see almost every gate filled, planes parked all over the remote area / Penalty Box and against the jet blast fence. I posted these last year but in case anybody missed them... https://inopgauge.imgbb.com/

AC moved to the C Concourse sometime in the mid 2000s. MQ handled them on gate C12 if I remember correctly. Then they were using A1 by 2014ish. Now they’re on A2 since Spirit uses A1. Airport is out of gates.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

antoniemey

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:59 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:
I remember when WN moved to the C Concourse but I'm not sure exactly what year that was. I remember them previously having 2 or 3 gates at the end of the A Concourse because when the new terminal first opened, my company had a large break room and offices underneath the end of the A concourse. Shortly after that we lost ground handling contracts because US Air bought Piedmont and their employees started working US Air flights and United started working their own. Shortly after that, Southwest took over all of that big office at the end of A and we were left with nothing more than our old secretaries office with just a couch, a table and a microwave and TV. Our station manager's office was upstairs on the B Concourse. Eventually we got the TWA ground handling contract back and started using the break room under A-1 and A-2.

Not sure if I ever knew that Envoy was handling AC. flights. When I left in late 2002, United was working AC flights off of A3 and occasionally a Mainline AC flight off of A4. The only time we would see a Mainline AC flight was if it was a charter for a Canadian NHL team or sometimes during the country music Fan Fair.

Here's a link to some pictures that I took between 2000 and 2002. The very last pictures in this list are mostly from the day of 9/11. They are the ones where you see almost every gate filled, planes parked all over the remote area / Penalty Box and against the jet blast fence. I posted these last year but in case anybody missed them... https://inopgauge.imgbb.com/

AC moved to the C Concourse sometime in the mid 2000s. MQ handled them on gate C12 if I remember correctly. Then they were using A1 by 2014ish. Now they’re on A2 since Spirit uses A1. Airport is out of gates.

Skywest was handling AC along with UA a A 3/4 in 2004 and 2005 when I worked the DL ramp for DGS. They moved back to A in Spring 2015 when ATS won the contract (they were already handling F9). I know it was 2015 because they took part of the old UA counter while DGS was still using the breakroom behind it, but I had started working UA's BSO. DGS and UA gave up that space (along with the breakroom under A3/4) shortly after the UA mainline employees left.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

southwest1675

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:01 am

antoniemey wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

Skywest was handling AC along with UA a A 3/4 in 2004 and 2005 when I worked the DL ramp for DGS. They moved back to A in Spring 2015 when ATS won the contract (they were already handling F9). I know it was 2015 because they took part of the old UA counter while DGS was still using the breakroom behind it, but I had started working UA's BSO. DGS and UA gave up that space (along with the breakroom under A3/4) shortly after the UA mainline employees left.

I wonder how UGE is doing.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

tnair1974

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Nice pic :cloudnine:

During this time, my family and I knew a Middle Tennessee State University student that was from Los Angeles. He often took the AA DC-10 flight BNA-DFW then connected DFW-LAX (often another DC-10). He said that in his experience the DC-10 at BNA generally had good loads, even outside of summer/holiday periods. He also said he would have preferred AA's BNA-LAX nonstop but that tended to be more expensive. So perhaps AA sent a lot of the lower yielding traffic on that AA DC-10 out of BNA.

IIRC, the DC-10 BNA-DFW was switched to a 762 just before the first Gulf War. Anyway, I as a teenager got to see the AA DC-10 depart BNA (from the ground wishing I was on it). I had to wait several more years before flying on NW DC-10s out of DTW/MSP.

Interesting. AA also flew a 752 that was routed from LGA-BNA-LAX. My sister took it if I remember.

My family and I indeed took an AA 752 DFW-BNA in 1991 or 92 (went on an AA MD-80 BNA-DFW). This was my very first flight on any 757, AA had just started operating the type. Continuing on the theme that AA possibly put lower yield traffic on the DFW-BNA-DFW DC-10 a few years beforehand, that 757 flight had a good number of young (and nervous) US Army recruits headed to basic training to various locations including some to Ft Knox KY. It apparently was cheaper for Uncle Sam to send those raw recruits AA DFW-BNA-SDF than nonstop AA DFW-SDF (or maybe for that matter nonstop DL DFW-SDF).

According to old OAGs, looks like by the end of 1991 there were no AA widebodies at BNA. This was in the aftermath of the first Gulf War and the sluggish economy. Eastern, PanAm and the original Midway had all gone belly up. :cry2:

AA would later use 762s BNA-LGW, but does anybody know if BNA-DFW ever had AA widebodies again?

southwest1675

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:09 am

tnair1974 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
Nice pic :cloudnine:

During this time, my family and I knew a Middle Tennessee State University student that was from Los Angeles. He often took the AA DC-10 flight BNA-DFW then connected DFW-LAX (often another DC-10). He said that in his experience the DC-10 at BNA generally had good loads, even outside of summer/holiday periods. He also said he would have preferred AA's BNA-LAX nonstop but that tended to be more expensive. So perhaps AA sent a lot of the lower yielding traffic on that AA DC-10 out of BNA.

IIRC, the DC-10 BNA-DFW was switched to a 762 just before the first Gulf War. Anyway, I as a teenager got to see the AA DC-10 depart BNA (from the ground wishing I was on it). I had to wait several more years before flying on NW DC-10s out of DTW/MSP.

Interesting. AA also flew a 752 that was routed from LGA-BNA-LAX. My sister took it if I remember.

My family and I indeed took an AA 752 DFW-BNA in 1991 or 92 (went on an AA MD-80 BNA-DFW). This was my very first flight on any 757, AA had just started operating the type. Continuing on the theme that AA possibly put lower yield traffic on the DFW-BNA-DFW DC-10 a few years beforehand, that 757 flight had a good number of young (and nervous) US Army recruits headed to basic training to various locations including some to Ft Knox KY. It apparently was cheaper for Uncle Sam to send those raw recruits AA DFW-BNA-SDF than nonstop AA DFW-SDF (or maybe for that matter nonstop DL DFW-SDF).

According to old OAGs, looks like by the end of 1991 there were no AA widebodies at BNA. This was in the aftermath of the first Gulf War and the sluggish economy. Eastern, PanAm and the original Midway had all gone belly up. :cry2:

AA would later use 762s BNA-LGW, but does anybody know if BNA-DFW ever had AA widebodies again?

762s would occasionally pop up on flights between BNA and DFW. Even as late as 1996. Never seen again. AA had two cancelled MD80s one day two years ago or so. A 763 equipment subbed flew in. 757s have been showing up as equipment subs from PHL and DFW recently actually.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

n917me

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:38 pm

Mainline AA ramp should be returning to BNA pending the proposed contact is ratified. The mainline ramp will handle all aircraft. Hopefully this means more growth for AA in BNA

southwest1675

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:01 pm

n917me wrote:
Mainline AA ramp should be returning to BNA pending the proposed contact is ratified. The mainline ramp will handle all aircraft. Hopefully this means more growth for AA in BNA

Heard this rumor through employee bus lingo. Hope it comes to fruition.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:21 pm

n917me wrote:
What'll happen to all the Envoy folks? Know a few people over there. Will they all be onboarded onto American?

reednavy

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:29 pm

If that contract does get ratified and comes to be at BNA, I except some hefty upgauging and potentially more destinations, such as BOS and PHX.

I honestly would not be surprised if AA got a bit aggressive to retain and potentially grow their FF base here.

southwest1675

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:46 pm

skitchie wrote:
n917me wrote:
What'll happen to all the Envoy folks? Know a few people over there. Will they all be onboarded onto American?

Envoy folks will most likely have the opportunity to get on with mainline AA. Some old time employees keep their seniority I believe. From what I’ve heard, every manager handling the ENY ramp should be fired anyways lol.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

n917me

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:46 pm

skitchie wrote:
n917me wrote:

Good question. It would depend on how many AA mainline transfer or are recalled. There are some great people at Envoy

BNAMealer

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:36 pm

This is good news, hopefully this means serious upgauging is around the corner. AA needs to regain the ground it lost over the last decade.

Another thing they need to do is work with MNAA to secure prime space in the new Concourse A for a new Admirals Club. They'll need a new one to respond to the DL Sky Club expansion.

capt505

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:08 pm

Me and my wife flew home to BOS via ORD on AA yesterday afternnon. Had a great weekend spending time with my son and grand kids. BNA TSA is probably the best in the country. No complaints there. Airport was pretty busy. Busier than I remember walking through the terminal during the hub days. Not bad for winter time for a town that does thrive on booming summer tourism. I must have been at the airport during the afternoon AA bank. Pretty much all their gates were filled. I could see AA defiantly growing in Nashville. Seems to have a following still considering their gate hold areas were filled up. I was non reving as a retiree, and a lot of flights were full. Admirals Club had many people coming and going as well. I didn't know Envoy handled the ramp in BNA until reading this thread. I'm pretty sure the Envoy contract does indeed limit the amount of mainline flights a station can handle. Once mainline ramp comes back, really wouldn't surprise me if they add PHX, potentially BOS, (would have used it yesterday) and more up-gauging between markets like ORD. Even though I'm retired, I still like to keep up with whats happening in the industry. I've taken notice of BNA considering my granddaughter goes to Belmont, and was based with Eagle in BNA from 91-94. Looks like the new A Concourse will probably house AA if WN plans on taking the rest of the current AA gates. Exciting times for Nashville.

InopGauge

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:05 am

So I understand that Envoy works the AA ramp now. During the Hub days, and even after the hub, they still fueled their own flights and was the only airline to fuel their own flights at BNA. Does anyone know if that contract out their under-wing fueling now? AA also used to run the fuel farm but from what I've heard, they don't run that anymore.

Ramprat212

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:29 am

InopGauge wrote:
So I understand that Envoy works the AA ramp now. During the Hub days, and even after the hub, they still fueled their own flights and was the only airline to fuel their own flights at BNA. Does anyone know if that contract out their under-wing fueling now? AA also used to run the fuel farm but from what I've heard, they don't run that anymore.

I think all airline refueling at BNA is done by ASIG (which I believe is now Menzies)

southwest1675

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 am

InopGauge wrote:

Mainline AA ramp left around 2011 or 2012. American Eagle Ramp took over the ramp which included working mainline flights as well. Then after the US Airways merger, legacy American Eagle became Envoy. Nobody, including Southwest fuels their own flights at BNA. It's all Menzies. The AA logo was removed from Multi Purpose Building. It now says Menzies.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:51 am

Thanks for the info. I know when I left in 2002 ASIG was just starting to fuel WN and had all of the fueling contracts except for AA who were still fueled by AA employees.

I'm pretty sure that ASIG/ Menzies controls the BNA fuel Farm now too.

It's crazy to think of how Airline contracts come and go so quickly nowadays. I remember when ASIG got the contract to fuel DL in ATL and they pulled a lot of people from out stations to get that started. I spent a month in ATL and was already familiar with most any aircraft that was flying at the time, but it was the first and only chance I got to fuel an MD-11. I still felt very bad for those Delta fuelers who probably felt like they had really good job security fueling for an Airline like DL in a mega hub like ATL.

The craziest airplane that I got to fuel at BNA was an Antonov AN-124. Luckily they always had an A&P mechanic that flew on all of those flights because the whole fueling panel was written in Russian and I'm not too familiar with that language. LOL.

southwest1675

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:53 am

Did anyone else hear the rumor that UA was gonna move to the end of B after US Airways moved to C with AA? I kinda think that would have worked out somewhat better. Concourse A could have been the ULCC concourse. Also BA most likely wouldn’t have had to be towed.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:19 am

Here’s the first domino to fall, AA is adding a frequency on MIA. Not that it matters much, but maybe them selecting BNA is a preview of AA having renewed interest in the market?

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-and-GOL-Announce-Codeshare-Agreement-to-Offer-More-Daily-Service-Between-South-America-and-the-US-than-Any-Other-Airline-Partnership-NET-ALP/default.aspx

Ishrion

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:37 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Here’s the first domino to fall, AA is adding a frequency on MIA. Not that it matters much, but maybe them selecting BNA is a preview of AA having renewed interest in the market?

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-and-GOL-Announce-Codeshare-Agreement-to-Offer-More-Daily-Service-Between-South-America-and-the-US-than-Any-Other-Airline-Partnership-NET-ALP/default.aspx

Didn't Delta consider BNA a "focus"? Not sure if it was a full-on focus city?

dafunk10

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:01 pm

BNAMealer wrote:

I would say this is defensive against DL’s MIA incursion.

BNAMealer

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Ishrion wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Yes, but it’s pretty clear by now that was just a marketing ploy. They haven’t done much of anything in BNA (or AUS/SJC) since then. Heck, they’ve teased a major Sky Club expansion and it still hasn’t been formally announced.

skitchie

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:06 pm

Ramprat212 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

I think all airline refueling at BNA is done by ASIG (which I believe is now Menzies)
There's also Primeflight who refuels Delta, Sun Country, and Spirit (Spirit might be Menzies, but Primeflight parks their trucks in the envelope at A1 occasionally which makes me think they do Spirit too).

southwest1675

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:54 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Yes, but it’s pretty clear by now that was just a marketing ploy. They haven’t done much of anything in BNA (or AUS/SJC) since then. Heck, they’ve teased a major Sky Club expansion and it still hasn’t been formally announced.

We won’t become an RDU style operation. Probably just some frequency increases, equipment upgrades, and mayyybeeeee a P2P route or two. Apparently we’ll see either AMS or CDG soon from our friends on the B Concourse.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:16 pm

I know this is a stretch but maybe if they complete that concourse A alley we could finally get a controlled ramp. Nearly pushed an A320 into a t-boning by a CRJ flying balls-to-the-wall-danger-zone-style-Mach-3 around the corner of B10 the other day and after seeing that happen 20 times before this latest instance we could really benefit from one.

Hell half the time when I ask the pilots which way they want me to turn the tail on the push they sound baffled at how our ramp works. I can only imagine how much more of a zoo it will seem like once widebodies start coming in. BA causes enough of a stir in A/B concourse every time they push out to the penalty box and nobody knows what to do

southwest1675

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:26 pm

skitchie wrote:
I know this is a stretch but maybe if they complete that concourse A alley we could finally get a controlled ramp. Nearly pushed an A320 into a t-boning by a CRJ flying balls-to-the-wall-danger-zone-style-Mach-3 around the corner of B10 the other day and after seeing that happen 20 times before this latest instance we could really benefit from one.

Hell half the time when I ask the pilots which way they want me to turn the tail on the push they sound baffled at how our ramp works. I can only imagine how much more of a zoo it will seem like once widebodies start coming in. BA causes enough of a stir in A/B concourse every time they push out to the penalty box and nobody knows what to do

Not only that, but with WN’s new D concourse opening, that’ll be a new cluster to deal with. It’s really looking like it’ll only be one way in, one way out from the aerial photos I’ve seen of construction. There was talk of the old ramp tower on top of C opening back up. The MNAA moved out of their offices, so it’s empty as far as I know. I think we had a user on this thread who works for BNA ATC by the sounds of it. We’ll see what happens there. A controlled ramp is surely needed at BNA.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

woodfinx

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:08 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

Not only that, but with WN’s new D concourse opening, that’ll be a new cluster to deal with. It’s really looking like it’ll only be one way in, one way out from the aerial photos I’ve seen of construction. There was talk of the old ramp tower on top of C opening back up. The MNAA moved out of their offices, so it’s empty as far as I know. I think we had a user on this thread who works for BNA ATC by the sounds of it. We’ll see what happens there. A controlled ramp is surely needed at BNA.

We want one. No one wants to pay for it. We can't control the ramp as it's a non movement area (liability).

skitchie

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:11 am

woodfinx wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

We want one. No one wants to pay for it. We can't control the ramp as it's a non movement area (liability).
Just stick some of the MTSU ATCO people in there, they'll do it for free, haha

southwest1675

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:22 am

There are less busier airports with a controlled ramp. Money and FAA approval will come down to it. The MNAA hasn’t said much regrading a controlled ramp to my understanding.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:08 pm

Contour adding BNA-IND per Midwestindy on the IND thread

southwest1675

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:55 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Contour adding BNA-IND per Midwestindy on the IND thread

Looks like that rumor came to be.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

United787

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Does anyone think BNA would make a good hub for JetBlue?

Geographically, it seems to be better located than some other options like CLE, CMH, CVG, IND, STL & KCI since it could capture n/w and e/w traffic. Good competition to ATL and CLT.

Similar sized metro area to CLE, CMH, CVG, IND, & KCI but growing fast and the tourism should allow it to punch above it's weight.

Plenty of room for expansion.

For JetBlue, fills a major void in "flyover country".

BNAMealer

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:29 pm

United787 wrote:

Geographically, it seems to be better located than some other options like CLE, CMH, CVG, IND, STL & KCI since it could capture n/w and e/w traffic. Good competition to ATL and CLT.

Similar sized metro area to CLE, CMH, CVG, IND, & KCI but growing fast and the tourism should allow it to punch above it's weight.

In theory, yes, if it weren’t for WN already having a large presence here. BNA is well positioned geographically to be a hub, but there isn’t enough O&D right now for a two hub operation. Plus, B6 isn’t interested in a mid-continent hub.

tphuang

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:32 pm

United787 wrote:

No, Southwest is too big.

It's not due to JetBlue avoiding middle of the country.

crjflyboy

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:33 pm

United787 wrote:

NO - SWA owns BNA

southwest1675

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 pm

United787 wrote:

If anything, I think it would make a good focus operation to either AA or UA. Not necessarily a hub, but a similar operation that DL has in RDU.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

southwest1675

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm

I believe the new Contour routes out of IND are touted to the business traveler. I think BNA will get some tourists from Indiana.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:14 pm

The Nashville Post is reporting on the Sky Club expansion. Says permit has been issued to begin work and should be done by the end of the year.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21114236/bnas-delta-lounge-set-for-major-update

Surprised the Delta News Hub hasn’t officially announced it yet.

crjflyboy

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:14 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I believe the new Contour routes out of IND are touted to the business traveler. I think BNA will get some tourists from Indiana.

Nashville has never had tourists from the state of Indiana before ?

Who knew ... congratulations

southwest1675

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:23 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Yes! This is very groundbreaking for the state of Tennessee!
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

crjflyboy

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:30 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I know ... a grand distance of 150 miles from the state of Indiana border to Nashville ... this is bigger than the Berlin Wall coming down ... much bigger

southwest1675

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:32 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

I know ... a grand distance of 150 miles from the state of Indiana border to Nashville ... this is bigger than the Berlin Wall coming down ... much bigger

Shocked CNN hasn’t had any reporting on this yet.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

crjflyboy

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:03 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Shocked CNN hasn’t had any reporting on this yet.

What is CNN ?

TangoCharlie123

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:07 pm

Here’s a link to the SkyClub story that’s not behind a paywall

https://outline.com/cscqyw

southwest1675

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:10 pm

TangoCharlie123 wrote:
Here’s a link to the SkyClub story that’s not behind a paywall

https://outline.com/cscqyw

18.7 million? This must be a fancy lounge.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

capt505

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:05 pm

I think BNA could use a reliever flight to LA. Something to either ONT, SNA, or even LGB. I know Southwest has BUR, but got reduced significantly due to MAX issues.

BNAMealer

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:59 pm

capt505 wrote:
I think BNA could use a reliever flight to LA. Something to either ONT, SNA, or even LGB. I know Southwest has BUR, but got reduced significantly due to MAX issues.

Once the MAX returns, I see BUR being restored to daily and ONT, SNA coming.

If just that darn MAX would get fixed........ seriously, I can only imagine how demoralizing it must be for WN right now. They literally can’t do a single thing growth-wise until the MAX returns.

southwest1675

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:50 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
capt505 wrote:

Once the MAX returns, I see BUR being restored to daily and ONT, SNA coming.

If just that darn MAX would get fixed........ seriously, I can only imagine how demoralizing it must be for WN right now. They literally can’t do a single thing growth-wise until the MAX returns.

I would have full confidence BNA hits 20 million in 2020 if WN had the MAX. That, along with all the new services already announced, it probably would have shattered records once again. The MAX has affected all markets with Southwest. Anyone remember when WN ran SMF-BNA for like a month? Solid route, but now gone because the MAX is grounded. Some other WN routes like BUR were reduced to seasonal, or weekend only. If it's not in the air by Fall, I will be concerned. I think BNA is gonna grow again this year, but another 2 million passengers? Might be a stretch this time around.... However, these G4 flights might be playing a bigger role than we think.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

pdt2f

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:59 am

Makes you wonder if they should have kept the 733’s in service for a few years longer.
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

tnair1974

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:14 am

pdt2f wrote:
Makes you wonder if they should have kept the 733’s in service for a few years longer.

IIRC, WN management, WN pilots, and the FAA all differed on Southwest potentially flying three different generations of 737s under the same pilot rating. It was finally agreed that for Southwest to continue to have a common 737 rating for all pilots, all the remaining WN Classics (733s, as the 735s had already exited the fleet) had to be retired before the MAX could enter service and supplement the NGs.

From entry into service to grounding, WN flew the MAX for almost a year and a half after the last Classics retired. Granted, very few foresaw how long the MAX would remain grounded. But I presume that if WN had wanted to temporarily pick up any 733s/735s in desert storage after the MAX groundings, Southwest would have still needed to create an separate (and expensive) pilot rating.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos