BNAMealer

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:28 am

So they finally provided the second presentation from the master plan meeting back in November.

https://flynashville.com/about/Documents/November%202019%20BNA%20Master%20Plan%20Presentation%20Materials.pdf

This is without the proposed satellite, which based on the minutes from the meetings in December, it is unclear whether or not it is still a thing.

The plan as proposed rebuilds A with 10 additional gates (for a total of 17) and adds 3 gates onto D for a total of 61 gates. IMHO, we need about 65 gates, it's too bad there isn't a way to squeeze 4 more gates into the project.

This presentation also suggests Terminal 2 could go on the far south side between 2R and 2L as opposed to east of 2R as previously proposed. They are going to need to make up their mind on this soon, because planning for Terminal 2 will need to begin within this decade.

BNA needs to be studying LAS very closely, it seems like that is the direction things are heading.

skitchie

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:45 am

BNAMealer wrote:
So they finally provided the second presentation from the master plan meeting back in November.

https://flynashville.com/about/Documents/November%202019%20BNA%20Master%20Plan%20Presentation%20Materials.pdf

This is without the proposed satellite, which based on the minutes from the meetings in December, it is unclear whether or not it is still a thing.

The plan as proposed rebuilds A with 10 additional gates (for a total of 17) and adds 3 gates onto D for a total of 61 gates. IMHO, we need about 65 gates, it's too bad there isn't a way to squeeze 4 more gates into the project.

This presentation also suggests Terminal 2 could go on the far south side between 2R and 2L as opposed to east of 2R as previously proposed. They are going to need to make up their mind on this soon, because planning for Terminal 2 will need to begin within this decade.

BNA needs to be studying LAS very closely, it seems like that is the direction things are heading.
Is this the first mention of a proposed runway 03/21? Didn't know we really needed another one

BNAMealer

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:48 am

skitchie wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Is this the first mention of a proposed runway 03/21? Didn't know we really needed another one

That's just a super long range concept if another one was needed. I doubt it will happen personally, BNA has ample runway capacity for the next few decades. Just extend 2L and consider extending 2R at some point and they'll be golden.

southwest1675

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:14 am

BNA won't ever need 5 runways in my honest opinion.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

antoniemey

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:13 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Did anyone else hear the rumor that UA was gonna move to the end of B after US Airways moved to C with AA? I kinda think that would have worked out somewhat better. Concourse A could have been the ULCC concourse. Also BA most likely wouldn’t have had to be towed.

UA looked into it... but it was just after they had paid a lot of money to put in a new combined computer network and phone system. For UA to make that move, someone else would have had to eat the cost of running the new lines to B from the server at the ticket counter. (I was working for DGS on the UA contract at the time and asked the UA Manager about it specifically.)

There were some aspects that could have worked really well, but also some aspects that would have been really frustrating for agents working flights. And then there's the matter of the available space for Ops and breakrooms under those gates.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Mac289

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 pm

Anyone here know how long 31/13 will be out? Seems like it's been out of use for a few weeks now. I miss getting to watch birds land from the end of the C concourse :cry:

tnair1974

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 am

A Cessna Citation in route from Atlanta (Peachtree Airport, FFC) to Nashville (John Tune Airport, JWN) went missing yesterday shortly after departure. The flight reported attitude indicator issues, and heavy snow was occurring over north Georgia.

Wreckage of the plane was later found in remote, difficult to access terrain near Dalton GA. Sadly, there are no survivors.... :(
https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20200208-0
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1440707

tnair1974

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:30 am

tnair1974 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
Makes you wonder if they should have kept the 733’s in service for a few years longer.

IIRC, WN management, WN pilots, and the FAA all differed on Southwest potentially flying three different generations of 737s under the same pilot rating. It was finally agreed that for Southwest to continue to have a common 737 rating for all pilots, all the remaining WN Classics (733s, as the 735s had already exited the fleet) had to be retired before the MAX could enter service and supplement the NGs.

From entry into service to grounding, WN flew the MAX for almost a year and a half after the last Classics retired. Granted, very few foresaw how long the MAX would remain grounded. But I presume that if WN had wanted to temporarily pick up any 733s/735s in desert storage after the MAX groundings, Southwest would have still needed to create an separate (and expensive) pilot rating.

Not to mention that spare parts for Classic 737s were long gone from WN's inventory after the MAX debacle started.

In another forum, it was asked how WN pilots were able to fly 732s (a first generation 737 model), 733s/735s (Classics, second generation), and the NGs (third generation) all at the same time under one rating. WN indeed started flying NGs in the late 1990s and didn't retire the old 732 until 2005ish while also operating Classics. Someone with more expertise (like a real WN pilot) feel free to chime in. But despite major differences, I think the cockpits were still similar enough to keep WN pilots in the same basic group. IIRC, WN even went to the point of purposely not activating some cockpit features on the Classics and NGs in order to maintain similarity; these features were not fully turned on and used until after the 732s exited the fleet.

Apparently the MAX's cockpit was less flexible in adapting to earlier 737s. Whatever the case, IIRC both the FAA and WN pilots objected to keeping a single rating for Classics, NGs and MAXs. Thus WN phased out the Classics just before MAXs started revenue service.

southwest1675

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:40 am

tnair1974 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
Makes you wonder if they should have kept the 733’s in service for a few years longer.

IIRC, WN management, WN pilots, and the FAA all differed on Southwest potentially flying three different generations of 737s under the same pilot rating. It was finally agreed that for Southwest to continue to have a common 737 rating for all pilots, all the remaining WN Classics (733s, as the 735s had already exited the fleet) had to be retired before the MAX could enter service and supplement the NGs.

From entry into service to grounding, WN flew the MAX for almost a year and a half after the last Classics retired. Granted, very few foresaw how long the MAX would remain grounded. But I presume that if WN had wanted to temporarily pick up any 733s/735s in desert storage after the MAX groundings, Southwest would have still needed to create an separate (and expensive) pilot rating.

Not to mention that spare parts for Classic 737s were long gone from WN's inventory after the MAX debacle started.

In another forum, it was asked how WN pilots were able to fly 732s (a first generation 737 model), 733s/735s (Classics, second generation), and the NGs (third generation) all at the same time under one rating. WN indeed started flying NGs in the late 1990s and didn't retire the old 732 until 2005ish while also operating Classics. Someone with more expertise (like a real WN pilot) feel free to chime in. But despite major differences, I think the cockpits were still similar enough to keep WN pilots in the same basic group. IIRC, WN even went to the point of purposely not activating some cockpit features on the Classics and NGs in order to maintain similarity; these features were not fully turned on and used until after the 732s exited the fleet.

Apparently the MAX's cockpit was less flexible in adapting to earlier 737s. Whatever the case, IIRC both the FAA and WN pilots objected to keeping a single rating for Classics, NGs and MAXs. Thus WN phased out the Classics just before MAXs started revenue service.

A good chunk of their -300s weren't that much older than many of their older -700s still flying today. I wish the classics were able to hang around longer. I enjoyed the charm of flying them. Working them were hit or miss. Still more reliable than any AA MD80 in my opinion. Southwest ordered their -300/500s with the "steam gauge" config to keep similarity with the -200. There was option for some glass avionics on the classics, but WN opted no on that.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:30 am

I wonder if we'll finally see a press release on the Sky Club expansion this week?

badbnatraffic

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Mac289 wrote:
Anyone here know how long 31/13 will be out? Seems like it's been out of use for a few weeks now. I miss getting to watch birds land from the end of the C concourse :cry:

NOTAMS say it’s estimated to be back up on March 20th

southwest1675

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:06 pm

Per a very reliable source, there is a lot of office space below WN's new Concourse D. I believe a few of the current WN facilities on C will be relocating, or room for a future crew base will be in fruition.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:24 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Per a very reliable source, there is a lot of office space below WN's new Concourse D. I believe a few of the current WN facilities on C will be relocating, or room for a future crew base will be in fruition.

What does this mean? Have you heard consistent talk of a crew base or is it just employee speculation?

southwest1675

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:11 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

What does this mean? Have you heard consistent talk of a crew base or is it just employee speculation?

Mixture of both. Employees only know so much, but it seems much that we speculate or talk about, eventually come true. BNA base has been rumored for awhile now. We'll see. That office space could mean something like a base, or could be empty until something in the future arises.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

TangoCharlie123

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:15 pm

JetBlue founder’s new airline Breeze has said they’re looking at flying primarily north-south routes east of the Mississippi between mid-size cities. It will be interesting to see where BNA’s place in this new airline’s route network will be.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/breeze-ai ... stern-usa/

BNAMealer

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 pm

TangoCharlie123 wrote:
JetBlue founder’s new airline Breeze has said they’re looking at flying primarily north-south routes east of the Mississippi between mid-size cities. It will be interesting to see where BNA’s place in this new airline’s route network will be.

Since BNA is not an underserved market, I doubt they'll have much of a presence here. Other airports in the state like MEM, TYS? That would be a good fit for them.

southwest1675

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:50 pm

TangoCharlie123 wrote:

I think we'll see them. Maybe not at launch though. They could start a few weird routes out of here considering it appears to be working for G4.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dafunk10

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Read in the NBJ this morning that Genesco is moving their corporate headquarters “within a year” to the old Bridgestone buildings near the airport Marriott. They currently occupy some of the Murfreesboro Pike buildings that would be in the way of a 2L expansion.

Not sure if directly related to the plans for the runway or not, but would seem like an opening to act if not. Also not sure if this relocation would include the Johnston and Murphy warehouse or just the corporate offices.

Rjh3h

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:24 pm

dafunk10 wrote:
Read in the NBJ this morning that Genesco is moving their corporate headquarters “within a year” to the old Bridgestone buildings near the airport Marriott. They currently occupy some of the Murfreesboro Pike buildings that would be in the way of a 2L expansion.

Not sure if directly related to the plans for the runway or not, but would seem like an opening to act if not. Also not sure if this relocation would include the Johnston and Murphy warehouse or just the corporate offices.

Lease was about to be up on their building, which is already owned by MNAA. The city leases the bulk of the warehouse portion, so the only thing Genesco has in that section is the J&M Factory store.

tnair1974

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:33 am

southwest1675 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

A good chunk of their -300s weren't that much older than many of their older -700s still flying today. I wish the classics were able to hang around longer. I enjoyed the charm of flying them. Working them were hit or miss. Still more reliable than any AA MD80 in my opinion. Southwest ordered their -300/500s with the "steam gauge" config to keep similarity with the -200. There was option for some glass avionics on the classics, but WN opted no on that.

I read that on the NGs, Southwest even had the cockpit flat screen displays show images of functional "steam gauge" dials to maintain similarity with older models. I take it that after the older models left the fleet, the NG displays were updated.

A retired DL mechanic we knew had experience with both DL MD-88s and DL (former Western) 733s. He said that both were very reliable. But when they went tech, the Mad Dogs were generally more of a pain in the you-know-what to work on.

It looks like many of the younger WN 733s have moved on to new operators. IIRC, the retired WN 733s that were ferried to TUS were being scrapped so perhaps these planes were older. Those WN Classics ferried to places other than TUS had better shots of finding new homes.

southwest1675

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:56 am

dafunk10 wrote:

Interesting story about Geneso and President Trump. Genesco owned the land that Trump Tower in NYC sits on. He flew down to BNA, and spent a few days in Nashville working with them on a deal. He claims he went to the Opry.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/b ... tower.html
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dafunk10

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Looks like the DL SC work has begun....just walked by and they have the area on the apron coned off and a tarp on the exterior wall (outside) behind where the Hudson News is.

Didn’t go into the club to observe, just walking past after arriving in B.

Can anyone that works at BNA confirm? 1675?

BNAMealer

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:25 pm

dafunk10 wrote:
Looks like the DL SC work has begun....just walked by and they have the area on the apron coned off and a tarp on the exterior wall (outside) behind where the Hudson News is.

I don’t know, but I’m surprised they still haven’t put out a press release regarding it yet with renderings. I’m eager to know what it will look like.

southwest1675

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:39 pm

dafunk10 wrote:

I’ll take a walk over to B when I get the chance.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

badbnatraffic

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Only article I’ve seen about the new DL SC expansion
According to the article an additional 10,500 square feet is being added to the current SC

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/ ... jor-update

southwest1675

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 pm

I walked over to A, first window on the left that gives you a view of B3 by the Nashville art on the wall... It looks like they’re getting to work on the SkyClub. There’s dumpsters and construction equipment present. In regards to other projects at BNA, the terminal wings, and Concourse D are really coming along. Doug said they were ahead of schedule and under budget in a recent interview.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:33 pm

When exactly will mainline take over AA's ramp services?

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:00 am

BNAMealer wrote:

Heard hiring in the spring for a summer 2020 takeover. This is from my AA/Envoy friends at BNA.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 am

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Heard hiring in the spring for a summer 2020 takeover. This is from my AA/Envoy friends at BNA.

Will it be for all AA ops, both mainline and regional?

I sincerely hope this means AA gets more aggressive at BNA with upgauging and adding PHX/BOS.

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:33 am

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I sincerely hope this means AA gets more aggressive at BNA with upgauging and adding PHX/BOS.

Envoy will handle the regional flights, and mainline will handle the mainline flights to my understanding.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:36 am

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Envoy will handle the regional flights, and mainline will handle the mainline flights to my understanding.

But the cap on mainline flights expire right?

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:01 am

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Yes, because AA will be able to send in hub levels of mainline flights. Once the contract is ratified, I think we'll see PHX, and up gauging to LGA, DCA, and ORD.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

reednavy

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 am

If true, I wouldn't doubt some announcements from AA soon for potential upgauging and more routes, like PHX or BOS.

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:11 am

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Yes, because AA will be able to send in hub levels of mainline flights. Once the contract is ratified, I think we'll see PHX, and up gauging to LGA, DCA, and ORD.

And then hopefully a new and bigger Admirals Club once A is rebuilt.

I'd add BOS to that list of yours, I'm thinking AA might be inclined to add that despite the heavy DL/B6/WN presence on that route if they are serious about BOS and BNA

dfdubflyer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:10 am

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

And then hopefully a new and bigger Admirals Club once A is rebuilt.

I'd add BOS to that list of yours, I'm thinking AA might be inclined to add that despite the heavy DL/B6/WN presence on that route if they are serious about BOS and BNA

Agreed. Old AA I would have said no way, but they’re being more aggressive lately. They’d certainly have stronger BNA POS than B6

bval

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:56 pm

AS joining Oneworld!

How does that pertain to BNA? Well, AS is in the B concourse today. They also fly BNA-SFO and BNA-SEA non-stops that AA doesn't. Wonder if we'll see them move over to C in the short term, and I'd imagine they will join the new A concourse plans now.

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 pm

bval wrote:
AS joining Oneworld!

How does that pertain to BNA? Well, AS is in the B concourse today. They also fly BNA-SFO and BNA-SEA non-stops that AA doesn't. Wonder if we'll see them move over to C in the short term, and I'd imagine they will join the new A concourse plans now.

AS cut SFO last year, but this bodes only bolsters the case for AA being the global carrier of choice out of BNA.

ZazuPIT

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:01 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
bval wrote:
AS joining Oneworld!

AS cut SFO last year, but this bodes only bolsters the case for AA being the global carrier of choice out of BNA.

Not necessarily. AA has announced only LHR and BLR from SEA. That really doesn't do much for American internationally out of BNA. I doubt anyone is going to fly to SEA to get to Bangalore when they can do it over existing BA BNA-LHR-BLR routings.

bval

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 pm

BNAMealer wrote:

Damn. I missed that cut. I'd love to see AA add that route back once they take the ramp back.

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:25 pm

I think there’s a good chance AA will bolster BNA’s operation once new ramp contracts and upper management are initiated. Not sure if their model calls for it, but I think AA could pull off a DL in RDU type operation easily in Nashville. Even if some routes were with RJs.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Midwestindy

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:11 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I think there’s a good chance AA will bolster BNA’s operation once new ramp contracts and upper management are initiated. Not sure if their model calls for it, but I think AA could pull off a DL in RDU type operation easily in Nashville. Even if some routes were with RJs.

Not to be a debbie downer, but the Envoy/AA contract change isn't going to have ground breaking impacts on BNA. There are about half a dozen airports in a similar position as BNA with regards to AA, just means more mainline taking over RJs
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Not to be a debbie downer, but the Envoy/AA contract change isn't going to have ground breaking impacts on BNA. There are about half a dozen airports in a similar position as BNA with regards to AA, just means more mainline taking over RJs

I’m certainly not anticipating an RDU style operation here from AA, but I don’t think PHX/BOS and more mainline is out of the question.

CRJ5000

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm

Spirit seems to be showing BNA some real love lately...Moving all operational related jobs from headquarters in Florida up to Nashville.

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-relea ... -Area.html

tphuang

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Southwest needs to watch out for spirit in it's backyard.

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:29 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
Spirit seems to be showing BNA some real love lately...Moving all operational related jobs from headquarters in Florida up to Nashville.

Wow. More growth for Williamson County.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 pm

tphuang wrote:

True, but I'm hearing whispers of big WN plans for BNA behind the scenes so once the MAX is back, WN will respond in big ways.

dronezone

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:47 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
CRJ5000 wrote:

Most likely near the Franklin/Cool Springs area I would imagine.

southwest1675

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:47 pm

dronezone wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
CRJ5000 wrote:

Most likely near the Franklin/Cool Springs area I would imagine.

I’m about 10 minutes away from the Nissan HQ. They just keep building office space around here.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

tphuang

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:58 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
tphuang wrote:

True, but I'm hearing whispers of big WN plans for BNA behind the scenes so once the MAX is back, WN will respond in big ways.

I am sure they will.

Not saying spirit will become larger than even delta or aa. But a large spirit operation here would really kill wn yield.

BNAMealer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm

tphuang wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I am sure they will.

Not saying spirit will become larger than even delta or aa. But a large spirit operation here would really kill wn yield.

The good news for WN is NK can't really do much more in the short term because BNA is out of gates.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos